Gaby Book 20 ~ Express ~ Chapter *17*

Printer-friendly version
Gaby book 20 cover.JPG

 
*Chapter 17*
Touchdown

 

I wasn’t ill at breakfast, two glasses of wine over dinner and two bottles of beer didn’t have quite the effect that all that beer had on the outward journey, it was Tali who needed encouragement to get up and at it Monday morning. It’s a bit strange really, the boat is docked before you even go to breakfast – I think they unload the trucks and stuff. Anyhow the camper was once more on terra firma somewhat before Dieter’s hired MPV.

"Okay guys,” Dad called our impromptu meeting to order, "I'll keep this short, I've already spoken to George this morning, he sends his congratulations to everyone by the way, long story short, we’ve decided that you can have next weekend off racing – it’s not compulsory, if you want to race you can, you’re all gonna be coming to Neuwied in ten days or so we thought you might want to kickback for a few days, I'm sure there’s stuff you all need to do before coming over..”
"Cool,” I enthused.
"Don’t get carried away, I still expect you to train, don’t want the BC lot showing us up, eh?”
"We mashed ‘em this weekend like,” Josh mentioned.
"So they’ll be out for revenge when they come over,” Dieter pointed out.
"Right then, I know Dieter’s keen to get on the road, I'll see you all next week.”

A few minutes later, after a round of goodbyes, the Hymer trailed the people carrier out of the terminal car park. We followed out to the main road east at which point Dieter gave a toot before putting his clog down and we were soon distanced. There was a fair bit of traffic about, late commuters, commercials departing the port area but we suffered no real hold ups.

 
We stayed on the A15 rather than taking the Breda road only changing roads as we reached Nijmegen. The Dutch motorways aren’t always joined up sensibly and it took three junctions and two changes of direction before we picked up the E31, the road that’ll take us all the way to Düsseldorf.

"We’ll stop at the next services, I need to get fuel, coffee?”
"Sounds good, Dave,” Angela agreed stifling a yawn.

And so we pulled off the concrete strip into the services where we filled the camper’s fuel tank before finding a spot to park amongst the commercial users of the service area – well we don’t fit in a car parking slot.

 
"More food?” Ron queried.
I paused, undecided as to whether to have the apricot Danish or the almond croissant, “Breakfast was hours ago.”
"Less than three,” my friend suggested.
I loaded both onto my plate, "Time for elevenses then,” I grinned.
"You really are something, Bond,” she sighed.
"You’ll miss me when you’re hobnobbing with the seniors.”
"Yeah, I will,” she agreed quietly.
"You two coming?” Dad enquired from the till.

Ron picked up the tongs and swiftly added a chocolate croissant to my plate.

"You two stopping for some lunch?” Angela queried as we turned off the A3 motorway for the last few kilometres into Mettmann.
"Gab?” Dad asked.
"Got nowhere to be ‘till later,” I noted.
"In that case, yes please, Ang,” he allowed with, I'm sure, a thankful sigh.
"The girls can put the washing through while I sort the food.” she hinted.
"Mu-um!”

Drew wouldn’t’ve got landed with domestic chores, there again I'm not Drew am I? As far as Angela’s concerned I might have answered to Drew but I've always been a girl, Gaby is just a different label on the same product. I guess it’s a job less when we get back to Dernau. Still sucks.

 
"Dad!”
"Hmmph?” he allowed, returning to consciousness.
"Food’s on the table.”
"Must’ve fallen asleep,” he admitted.
Not much, he’s been sawing away for nearly an hour.

A Grönberg ‘light’ lunch still runs to three courses, today she whipped up tomato soup, ‘octopus’ Frankfurters1 with potato salad and a leaf salad fresh from the garden. Oh, and a slice of strawberry torte with our coffee.

"So I'll come up Thursday,” Dad confirmed.

The conversation over lunch has been largely logistics for Ron joining the senior squad and Angela spending several weeks based at the house in Neuwied.

"She’ll be ready, Dave,” Angela stated.
"Mu-um,” Ron moaned, "I am seventeen.”
“And act like seven sometimes.”

I had to stifle a laugh as Ron made a very juvenile pout.

"Well thanks for lunch, but we need to make a move if we’re to miss the rush hour traffic,” Dad suggested.

 
"See you soon, Gabs,” Ron mentioned as we hugged.

I was failing to keep the tears at bay, she’s been a part of my life almost since I arrived in Germany, we’ve raced together, argued, shared rooms, shopped, bitched and, well become pretty close. Oh I know we’ll see each other but it’s not going to be the same is it? We won’t have the same races, same experiences to share.

“Best go before I start properly blubbing.”
"You are such a girl, Gabs,” she stated dabbing at the wetness on her own face.
"Takes one to know one.”

 
"What’re you thinking?” Dad asked as we crawled past Kӧln, roadworks at the A4 junction.
“Nothing really.”
"You coulda fooled me, kiddo.”
"Just thinking about Ron.”
"Yes?”
"Guess I'm a bit jealous,” I admitted.
"Whatever for, spud? In case you missed stuff you’re the one with the rainbow jersey, you’re our team leader. So what’re you jealous about?”
"Her joining the seniors and all I guess.”
"You’ll get your turn, luv, if you want to. So any idea why Manda’s changed her mind?”
“None, she never told me why she was leaving in the first place.”
"Well I'm glad she’s staying with us, I've only got to fill one slot instead of two,” Dad grinned.

We got home just after four thirty, Dad left me with our bags and the damp washing to hang out before heading down to team HQ.

 
Brrrrp, brrrp. Brrrrp, brrrp.

“Bond,” I allowed when I found my Handy.
"Where are you?” P demanded.
I cracked an eye to check, "The lounge?”
“At home?”
"Yeah,” I cautiously agreed.
“Brill, you are coming to Cheer tonight?”
"Guess so, have to ride up though, Dad’s down in Neuenahr.”
“’S no prob, Ingrid’ll take us.”
"Really?”
"She has her licence now, she needs the practice. So we’ll see you in like half an hour.”
"Half an hour!” I exclaimed, "What time is it?”
“Quarter to six.”
"Shitza!”
"What’s up?”
“Er nothing, see you in a bit, tschuss.”
"Tschussie!”

I sat properly up, I must’ve fallen asleep after putting the washing out on the drier. Well at least it’s only Cheer, I hurried up to my eyrie and started hunting for stuff to wear.

 
The girls were a bit early which put me in a twiddle, I nearly went bum over chest trying to put on a trainer as I short cutted across the grass to the Sebenschuh’s car.

"Whoa, Gabs, take it easy, girl,” Ingrid suggested as I slid to a halt.
"Soz, I fell asleep, you woke me up when you rang, P.”
“Asleep?” Pia queried.
"I was up early,” I told them in my defence. Well not really that early but it felt early, you know, after last night.

There was a horrible crashing noise as Ingrid attempted to get us moving.

"It’s in here somewhere,” the elder sister offered.
“Er right,” I allowed hastily putting on my seatbelt as we kangarooed away from Chez Bond.
"So why were you up early?” Pia asked.
“Breakfast? on the boat?”
"I thought you said you were getting the ferry last night?”
"We did, it sails overnight.”
"To where?” Inge asked.
"Rotterdam?”
"So you came from Holland today? It took all day?”
"Yeah, the camper’s not exactly fast and we did stop for lunch at Mettmann. So what’s so exciting, P?”
“Exciting?”
"You were bouncing when you rang?”
"Was I? Oh yeah.” she agreed.
"Well spill then,” I demanded – she can be so infuriating at times.
"Dad’s signed up two more coach groups,” Ingrid advised before her sister could reply.
"Inge!” Pia moaned, "I wanted to tell her.”
"So that’s good, yeah?” I opined.
"Definitely,” P enthused, "First one’s tomorrow.”
"You can do it, Gab?” Inge queried.

Talk about getting dropped in it! I mentally looked at my diary, Tuesday so it’s early start so I can go training, guess without Mand I could go straight from the kiosk.

“Er I guess, can probably be at yours just before six? You do remember Mand’s not here this week?”
"I told you,” Ingrid supplied.
"I thought she was just talking about the weekend,” Pia sighed.
"I suppose we’re in Kostüm?” I asked.
“Er yeah,” P confirmed.

My mind raced, we can cope with a body less but it makes it hard work, who can we get to help? I had a light-bulb moment.

"I might know someone who could help out.”
"Who?” Ingrid queried.
"I'd best speak to them before I say,” I hedged.
"They alright wearing Kostüm?” P enquired.
"Yeah, pretty sure they are, it’s only the one night after all, right?”

 
Maddy Bell © 11.05.17

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ron

Elsbeth's picture

Yea Ronnie been with us a while now off to better and greater things. Poor Gaby

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

What are Octopus Frankfurters?

smdani4mm's picture

Thats a new one on me. What are Octopus Frankfurters?

Dani

P.S. - Is Max going to get Shanghaied into working?

SmDani4

Seafood

I think that's what you see in all those hentai anime. No, wait, those are Octopus Wieners. Never mind.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Still "oversubscribed"

Podracer's picture

But many a teen would be laid exhausted by Gab's and her friends' life styles.
I think someone is to get a surprise request to help out, but is going to join in willingly enough.

"Reach for the sun."

Wait what,

Amanda is staying now???? We never found out why she wanted to leave in the first place!

all

Maddy Bell's picture

will be revealed in due course


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell