Gaby Book 20 ~ Express ~ Chapter *32*

Printer-friendly version
Gaby book 20 cover.JPG

 
*Chapter 32*
Gobble Gobble

 

"We’re going for a ride,” I called through to Dad.
"Thanks for fixing my bike dad,” he suggested by way of reply – bum I forgot about that.
"Er thanks,” I belatedly offered poking my head into living room, "What was it?”
"As far as I can see you picked up a stone which got jammed and riding with it burst the side-plate off.”
"They’ve just tarred the Effelsberg road,” I supplied.
"That’ll be it, where’re you off to?”
"Thought we’d pop and see Bern?”
"Well don’t be too late back, we’re out for dinner unless you fancy cooking?”
"What about Goth Gurl?”
"Got some work at the Schloß then she and Boris are going to the cinema.”
"So its just the three of us?”
"What are you cooking up young lady?”
"Er nothing, well maybe nothing.”
"Go on,” he suggested.
"I was just thinking we could take Bern out? They go home on Monday and well, it’d be nice?”
"Hmm, if its okay with the Preiser’s, give me a call.”
"Kewl!”
"You coming Bond?” Mand called up from the lower deck.
"On my way,” I returned, “laters Pops!”
"I'll ‘Pops’ you!”

I beat a hasty retreat and headed for Mand and my bike.
 

"Ah, this feels so good,” Mand opined as we headed up the valley.
"Really?”
"Yeah, no traffic to talk of and someone I can talk to.”
"Where?”
"Dummy,” she allowed batting my shoulder.

We weren’t exactly doing a full blown training ride, no we were taking the easiest route up to Staffel, up to Ahrbruck then through Kesseling.
 

"Hi guys!” Bern called from where she and the babe in her arms were watching Mart and his dad doing something with cows.
"Heya,” I returned, concentrating as much on avoiding cow pats as anything else.
"Weren’t expecting to see you guys today?”
"We needed to loosen the legs before tomorrows race,” Mand supplied, “my, hasn’t she grown!”
 

Whilst the lure of bovine poo and moo-ving cattle was tempting the prospect of a pot of tea won out and we headed to the farmhouse.

"Oh hi girls,” Erika greeted as Mand and I clacked into the house behind Bern who went ahead to put Drea down in the pram.
"Hi Mrs P,” I offered, "Er can we steal Bern tonight?”
"Steal her?”
"Well not exactly steal, we’re going out for dinner and we thought it’d be nice for her to come, Mart’s invited too,” I added.
"We aren’t keeping her prisoner you know.”
"You don’t have anything planned?”
"I'm sure Stefan’s got some bier lined up.”
"Dad’ll run taxi.”
 

Bern was keen enough to join us so after calling Dad, arranging a collection time and doing a quick goss update Mand and I headed back down to Dernau. I say down, we went over the top to Ramersbach and back via Ahrweiler which at least gave us a bit of a work out.
 

"Where’re we going?” I asked Dad from the landing on my stairs whilst doing my best to pat my hair dry.
"The Krone?” he suggested through his bedroom doorway.
"Really?”
"Well where do you suggest?”
"That place by the ferry?” I suggested, "They’ve got a garden on the river.”
"The Anker, on the corner at Kripp?”
"Uh huh, that's the one.”
"I didn’t really want to go that far.”
“Please?”
"Go on then,” he sighed, "I'll ring for a table.”
"Yes!” I pumped an arm in the air which resulted in a bare boob moment as my towel made a break for freedom.
 

The drive from Staffel to Kripp was interesting to say the least, maybe twenty K as the crow flies, half as much again by the time you add in the twist and turns and in the Hymer not the quickest roads either.

"I feel overdressed,” Bern stated as we walked from the camper to the hotel.
"You look fine,” which she did, well maybe a bit Mumsy, but its not like a ball gown or something.
"No ones dressed up,” she noted looking around the restaurant as Dad went to announce our arrival
"Tell her Mart,” I requested.
"You look great liebchen,” the subject of her desires stated giving her a totally uncalled for peck on the cheek.

I guess I did get a good fill on that stuff last night. Last night, yeah, that's not for public consumption or my procreative state. I know I shared with Mand earlier but somehow further dissemination doesn’t seem like a good idea. Oh I know Bern would keep schtum but she’d worry and I don’t want to lay that on her. And I guess Dad was listening earlier as the waiter chappie led us back outside and across to the riverside terrace where we were seated beneath a parasol at least as big as the team ezy up.

"Drinks?”
"A carafe of house white,” Dad suggested.
"Er can we have a jug of water too please?” I requested – well you aren’t supposed to drink if you’re pregnant are you?
"Yeah, best stay sober with us racing tomorrow,” Mand added.

Dad raised a brow at that, its not like I've got the best track record for pre race sobriety but seriously I had enough last night to float a battleship.
 

"So you had a good week Bernie?” Dad asked between mouthfuls of Spätzle.
"Yeah, I reckon so, I think Drea’s enjoyed it too.”
"She’s only one,” I put in.”
“but very clever,” Bern replied.
"And happy,” Mart added, "Thanks for inviting us tonight Herr Bond.”
"You ever won an argument with my daughter?”
"Da-ad,” I moaned.
"Well thanks anyway, its nice to get away from the farm for a bit.”
"And from Drea for a couple of hours,” Bern admitted.

Gott, I'm gonna be such a terrible mother!

“Bern says you’ve been singing again Gab,” Mart suggested.
"Oh?” Dad enquired.

Bern!

"Well you know what its like at gigs right, everyone gets a bit carried away.”
"I'd say doing it on the stage is a bit more than carried away Gab,” Mart continued, oblivious to my mental messages to drop the subject.
"The stage?” Dad’s interest was piqued good and proper.
"She was up with the band and everything right Bern?”
"This I have got to hear,” Dad invited.

It was a secret Bern, its a good job I never mentioned you know what to her.
 

"You really are something,” Marty chortled once I finished a very abbreviated telling of my part in the BlauHase gig last night.
"Isn’t she just,” Dad added in a tone of voice that suggested I haven’t heard the last of it though.
"Well just don’t burst into song over the coffee,” Bern giggled.
"I'll try not to,” I dryly replied.
 

I might have been on the H²O this evening but it was nice to sort of kick back with my friends. Okay Dad’s sat across the table but apart from my rendition of the Bonn gig story he’s kept out of things. They might’ve only had a couple of short meetings before tonight but Mand and Bern seem to get on okay, you kinda forget they haven’t known each other forever.

"What’s up Bern?” I asked seeing her fidgeting with her watch.
"Er nothing really, just don’t want to impose on Erika too much.”
"She’s fine with Drea,” Mart stated.
"It doesn’t feel right,” Bern replied.
"Honestly liebe, she’s bonding with her grandchild, she’s happy enough.

I wonder how Gloria will feel about being a granny in the New Year?

"I think we should go home, please Herr Bond?”
"Well I'm done,” Dad agreed, "I'll go and pay, meet you guys at the camper.”
"Think I need the little girls room,” I opined – well its probably gonna be best part of an hour before we get home right?
 

Wisely Dad took a longer but easier route back to the farm.

"In case I miss you on Monday,” I handed Bern an envelope.
"What’s this?”
"Extra present from Tante Gaby.”
"Thanks Gab,” Bern allowed stifling a tear as she pulled me into a hug,” you take care girl.”
"And you, have a safe journey home.”
"We’ll try, I'll be back soon enough.”
"If you see the others tell them hi,” I requested.
"Of course but its a big if.”

We hugged some more, I didn’t want to leave but Dad and Mand were waiting in the bus and I could hear the Preiser household doing sort of bedtime stuff inside the house.

"September,” I stated.
"We’ll be here,” Bern confirmed.

We separated and I forced myself to walk to the waiting transport and climb inside.
 

"You alright Gab?” Mand enquired as we jounced along the lane back into Staffel and civilisation.
"Yeah, I just miss them.”
“But they’re coming back in the autumn right?”
"I know but that's like months away.”
"You’re soft Gaby Bond.”
“Can’t help it,” I stated in my defence.
"I wasn’t dissing you Gab.”
"You weren’t?”
"Its just sometimes Gab, well you’re such a girl, the next hard as flippin’ nails!”

 

© Maddy Bell 01.06.17

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos