Adrenaline Jackey page 8

Printer-friendly version

It was early morning at the Hazel house when I had a broom and dustpan in my hand going everywhere with hardwood and sweeping any and everything I could. Next, I vacuumed everywhere with carpet and dust cleaned anywhere and everywhere: the walls, ceiling fans, shelves, etcetera. Then I wiped off the counters in both bathrooms and kitchen. Finally, I was washing plates and making breakfast when Mr. Hazel walked in.

“Hey, Rome, mighty early.” He sniffed, “Mmm, that smells good, wha cha making?”

I smiled, “I’m just making muffins, I found some in the cabinet.”

“Ooo, haven’t had muffins in a while.” Frankfurt came down, scratching and yawning, “Wasn’t expecting to see you up this early.”

Well, SOMEONE was vacuuming, and it woke me up.” He accused, glaring at me with a joking smile.

“If you didn’t stay up until two in the morning, you wouldn’t be so tired.” I retorted, “Plus, you should be thanking me. I made muffins.”

Frank rolled his eyes at me as he went back upstairs, “Tell me when they’re done.”

“Boys.” I snorted. “Would you like some coffee?”

“I would love some!”

It wasn’t long before Mrs. Hazel and Berlin were up. Berlin was raving about the muffins, praising me the best chefs ever after her mother. Good call, kid, good call. I had two muffins before I started cleaning up.

“I can do that, sweetie, how about you go play for a little bit.” Mrs. Hazel said.

“I’m fine, I like doing dishes.” I don’t like doing dishes, but I couldn’t let the Hazels down.

Mr. and Mrs. Hazel took a glance at each other before the missus replied, “Okay.” Then proceeded to them me where all the cabinets are.

After breakfast, I cleaned the stairs and the upstairs since I didn’t want to wake up the little one earlier. Afterward, I started working on my bike. It wasn’t in the best shape looking at it closer. The bike's whole braking part seemed to be broken, not to mention the chain was messed up. I’ve done bike maintenance before since I only really have the one and can’t afford another. I did what I could by hand and without help. Which was a lot surprisingly. I had to look up some YouTube videos on Mr. Hazel’s laptop but I got a lot of things fixed. It was almost done, I just needed a few more parts. Which would cost money I don’t have.

It’s been a couple days since my declaration of… war? Girlhood? Declaration of independence at least. I vowed myself since the Hazels were so kind and loving to me that I’d repay them anyway I can. But something has been on my mind since that day. I had said something unexpected, “I’ve always been a girl”. Have I? Have I always been a girl and I didn’t even know? I looked up the phrase ‘I want to be a girl’ it sent me to this website called Reddit and its… threads? Sub-threads? To a part of the website called r/egg_irl. There were so many relatable memes that it hurts. I also found the word: Transgender. I think I heard this word before when Vatican was watching the news. It was used in a very negative context, but either way it described how I was feeling, I guess. Anyway, I thought back before the day I went down Devil’s ride. The life I lived before was very blurry looking back at it.

I searched deeper before being forced into that death camp. Why did I got sent to that death camp? I know my dad wanted me to be closer to god but I don’t remember why. Well that doesn’t matter now. Now what does matter is feeding Shelly, Slimy, and Dr. Slugger. They were having a heck of a time sliming around their new home and eating the food I got them. It has been fun watching them go.

“Sissy, sissy.” It was Berlin. She’s been calling me sissy and I’ve been loving every second of it.

“Yes, princess?”

“Can we play together?”

“Of course, baby!”

Playing with Berlin is a dream come true. We had an exquisite tea party that was interrupted by a declaration of war from the Barbie Queendom. We conscripted and gathered out troops to fight the menace. It was a chaotic massacre of fluff, stuff, and plastic with a brutal and total war where many innocent and military casualties were lost. In the end, the only ones who won were those who survived to see their families. I never knew playing could be this dramatic and exciting. I felt like I was in some historical fantasy land with history being made from fluff and plastic. It was fantastic! Long live the Fluffy Empire!!

I was having so much fun that I didn’t even notice the time or smell when I heard, “Kids, dinner is ready!” I ran downstairs piggy backing Berlin who was a giggly little baby. We sat down to have dinner. Dinner was delicious as always. I savored each bite of food with happiness. I’d get to eat like this every day. I barely had one meal a day let alone two or even three. When I was finished, I started cleaning up my plate and the other plates.
“Oh no, sweetie, let me do that. You’ve done enough for one day.” Mrs. Hazel said, she took the plate out of my hand.

“Can I please help?”

“You’ve done enough of that for today. How about you go play?”

Mr. Hazel, “We’re about to start an excellent game of UNO, would you like to join us?”

Me, “I’d absolutely love to but I really need to help. I really really need to.”

Mrs. Hazel, “Why is that, sweetie?”

“Because because because.” Why is wet stuff coming out of my eyes?

“’cause I’m afraid of you hating me.”

Mrs. Hazel held me tight, “I’ll never hate you.”

“No no, I just…” I looked away as my voice whispered, “You’ve all been so kind to me and I really really really want to repay it anyway I can.”

“You can do that by being a kid and having fun.” Mrs. Hazel whispered.

“Okay.” I said solemnly as I slid my feat towards Mr. Hazel. I really need to help. Really really need to help. But but but I need to help they’re so kind to me. I have to repay. I have to, or else they’ll hate me. I have to. I have to. Oh, what’s this fuzzy, warm feeling? I was covered by Hazels. They all embraced me in the warmest, happiest blanket of love I’ve ever felt. I couldn't help but ugly cry.

Mr. Hazel, “I think this is a good part to tell you that your parents gave guardianship to us.”

My eyes went wide as saucers, “They did?” Is it weird to feel happy and sad at the same time?

Mrs. Hazel, “Welcome to the Hazel family, Rome.”

~o~O~o~

Hello there! I hope everyone enjoyed this installment of Adrenaline Jackey!! Tomorrow is going to be my birthday so I'm not posting or writing any new installments until Monday. I wish you all a happy happy day!!!

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Happy birthday

Loving the new story and happy birthday for tomorrow.

Thank you!!!

I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I always worry it's not good enough, but that's the anxiety talkin.

Loving this story

Rome had a life altering experience and came out the better for it. I dont see her seeking thrills and trying to kill herself with bigger and bigger stunts anymore.

Happy birthday

EllieJo Jayne

Maybe not the overly fatalistic way

But she will definitely seek some thrills. She can't help it, danger is her middle name! Well second middle name. So be prepared for some exciting events!

I'm glad the Hazels are as good of people as Rome thought.

Having a safe space, and the security of knowing your loved, can make all the difference in someone's life.

She might not end up marrying Frank . . . but it looks like she won his family, regardless, and maybe that was what her dream-self wanted in the first place.

Melanie E.