Speedway Demons -chapter 29 final

Printer-friendly version


Speed Demons


Total number of drivers 40. Number of company teams 10. Number of tracks 20. Number of countries 12. Time frame 6 months. Number of Fallen Angels hooked on speed 2. The McGuire sisters are and they’re out for blood in the newly founded International Stockcar Racing Association. After two years driving the Formula One circuit Professional Drivers Roberta Bobbie McGuire and her sister Elisabeth ‘Beth’ McGuire have made real names for themselves. The two young ladies took the world by storm in their first year by placing 3rd and 4th in the Championship points race. Now their plans and dreams of starting in the International Stockcar Association have come to fruition. The Fury twins plan to prove to the world they belong in Stockcar Racing. And they don’t care who they have to put into the wall to bring home the inaugural championship.


Chapter 29, Epilogue
South Carolina, February 21, 2036
WBTW Morning Show Studio, CBS, Florence Sc.

Beth and Tony sat across the desk from the Morning Show’s hostess Alexis Martin. They both knew that Alexis was just as surprised as her producer was at them agreeing to be interview on live TV. Especially considering the topic of today’s interview. When the book first came out nine months ago no one was expecting it to reach the Best Sellers list in its first week. With the exception for maybe the book’s two authors. Who were currently sitting in the TV studio.

“Good morning South Carolina. This morning I have the pleasure of hosting two remarkable people. With me are Beth and Tony Towers authors of the biography for one of our State’s most iconic figures Bobbie McGuire. Beth, Tony, welcome to the show.” Alexis said as she turned from the camera to face them.

“The pleasure is all ours Alexis.” Tony answered with a friendly.

“As most of our audience already knows Beth you’re more than just the coauthor for your late sister’s biography but you’re a professional racer yourself. I have to ask what has to be the burning question of the hour. What is it like to drive at over two-hundred miles per hour?” Alexis asked with a chuckle.

“All I can say don’t try it at home. I’m a trained professional.” Beth chuckled. “But to be honest with you Alexis. I would never have known the feeling of living that close to the edge had it not been for my sister Bobbie.”

“Is that why you and Tony wrote her biography? To let the world, know what drove your sister to become a professional racer?”

“Nope. Beth wasn’t the one who first started writing Bobbie’s biography. That was me.” Tony told Alexis honestly. “The reason behind the book was so that our nieces would have a way to know about their mother. Without having to hear the stories from her mother’s friends. As much as I admire my teammates they tend to stretch the truth when it comes to Bobbie.”

“Talk about stretching the truth. Tony you need to look in the mirror.” Beth snarked as she punched him in the arm as Alexis chuckled. “Don’t listen to him Alexis. Tony has a bad habit of BSing the troops. He was notorious in the garage and pits for spinning a wild one just to drive our sponsors crazy trying to figure out if he was BSing them.”

“How much of the book is the truth then?” Alexis asked them.

“In the interest of full disclosure Alexis. The book is as close to Bobbie’s own words as possible. There are a few chapters in Bobbie’s life that are missing from the book. Before you ask most of the book was transcribed from Bobbie’s own journals. She had left them to Beth, but I was the one to actually sit down and read them. I know that this is going to sound crazy, but I wanted to more about my sister-in-law.” Tony told Alexis honestly. “It was only after reading the first of her journals that I realized that I needed to tell Bobbie’s story.”

“Beth how did you come to be involved with the book? After all it states right on the cover that you are a coauthor.” Alexis prompted already knowing the answer.

“I only came to be involved after Tony had written the first draft of the book. Knowing my sister, the way that I did. I knew that there were certain things in her journals that she never wanted to be made public.” Beth answered with a sigh. She knew that Alexis was going ask about the parts left out.

“If it is not too personal may we know what those were Beth?” Alexis asked hoping for answer to the question.

“I can honestly say that Bobbie had her demons. Demons that drove her to become the best driver that she could be. She never let her illness get in the way of achieving her dreams or keeping her promises. Just like all people who survive a deadly childhood disease it affected Bobbie in ways that I never really understood. Even after she had achieved so much on and off the racetrack Bobbie still had her down days. While we did put a good number of those times in the book. There were days, even months that we left out. Mainly to protect Bobbie’s privacy. I know that sounds stupid protecting a dead person’s privacy.” Beth sighed as she stopped before she said too much.

“Understandable. There are just certain things that your nieces don’t need to learn about their mother.” Alexis said as she jumped in to provide a way out for Beth and Tony. There was no way she was going to let her one chance at a nationwide scoop walk away in anger. “Tony you said that you only starting writing the book after reading the first of Bobbie’s journals. What was it about that first journal that prompted you to write her biography?”

“About a quarter of the way from the end there is a quote. ‘The only person standing between you and your dreams is you.’ It took me the rest of that journal to realize what that quote meant to Bobbie. Especially at the time that she wrote that quote. You see Bobbie wrote that in her very first journal. It was during one of the lowest times in her life. She had just begun her first round of experimental cancer treatments. Treatments that had just as much of a chance at killing her as curing her. She was only fifteen at the time and just beginning her life. That was also around the same time that she met one of the people who had the greatest impact on her professional life as a racecar driver. If not for her friend I doubt that Bobbie would have gone as far or did as much in her career without making a promise to Lisa Hill.” Tony knew that he might have gone into more detail than Alexis expected but he felt that he had to give credit to the girl that pushed Bobbie to be one of the best. Even from her grave Lisa had been a major influence on how Bobbie faced her career and rather short life.

“Is that the reason behind the title for your book? Racing with an Angel on my Shoulder.” Alexis asked Tony quickly. She like everyone who read the book wanted to know the answer to the reason for the title. Mainly because it is not mentioned anywhere in the pages of the biography.

“It is but neither Tony nor I came up with the title. Hell, we didn’t even know why Bobbie left Tony and me her journals. It was Bobbie’s wife Kelly that gave us the title and the reason why we got the journals.” Beth chuckled. At the confused look on Alexis’ face Beth knew she had to explain. “I loved my sister with all the love I could have for a sister. But she had one quark that tried my love for her. Bobbie was the consummate practical joker. Even during the worst of her illness, she always found a way to get one over on me or my brother Joey. I naturally thought us getting her journals was another practical joke. As much as I hate to say this about her, but Bobbie had a twisted sense of humor.”

“Care to give us an example?” Alexis asked her kindly.

“I don’t think one story will do any harm love.” Tony told Beth has he took her hand. “It’s not like she wouldn’t get a kick out you recounting one of her jokes. Especially if it concerns a time when she needed a laugh the most.”

“True. If Bobbie was here she would be sitting there giggling her backside off over me embarrassing myself before the whole nation.” Beth chuckled. “Okay then. Back during her second, no it she was on her third round of standard chemo treatments. She was sicker than a dog ninety percent of the time, and as much as I hate to say this about her, Bobbie was meaner than a junkyard dog. Any way during one of the times she was worshiping at the porcelain alter I lost my temper with her. Mostly because my bedroom was right next to the bathroom that the three of kids shared. I screamed through the door at least give us curtesy flush. If you have ever been around someone suffering from the side effects of chemo. You know how vile their vomit smells. Needless to say, Bobbie decided to get even with me in a very unique way. That night while the everyone else was asleep Bobbie rigged the toilet to automatically flush every half hour starting at just after two in the morning.”

“Don’t tell me that you were woken to the continuous sounds of the flushing toilet.” Alexis chuckled as Tony smiled as he remembered reading about the joke in Bobbie’s journal. “I take it that the toilet was one of those old ones with the thunderous rush of water. The type that you can hear throughout the house.”

“Even with the bathroom door closed. It’s still there to this day in my parents’ house. I think my father refuses to remold or replace that toilet because of Bobbie’s practical joke. Not that I blame him. Bobbie just had a way about her. It made the people around her either love her to no end or it drove them crazy.” Beth chuckled as she thought about her sister. “Though there was one place that Bobbie left her sense of humor on the sidelines.”

“Where was that?” Alexis asked kindly.

“When she got behind the wheel of a car. If she was in a racecar she would just put in her earbuds, turn on her racing mix, tune out the world, and become this unmatched professional driver. If she was in her Viper. She would just punch the play button on her CD player and let the world fall away. After the Darlington Knight racetrack opened Bobbie would often spend her weekends there just doing laps. It was her way of unwinding. Pushing her Viper to its limits.” Beth and Tony both started chuckling at Beth’s description of Bobbie’s time on the Knight. “I think that she logged more laps there than on any other track in the world.”

“I know that we got a little off the subject, but it was worth it. I would like to return to how you came up with the title.” Alexis said steering the conversation back to the topic of the biography and its title.

“As I said earlier it was Kelly who gave us the title for Bobbie’s biography. Besides her sense of humor Bobbie had an overdeveloped sense of honor. If she gave you her word that she was going to do something. You could take it to the bank. Shortly before her first win at Silverstone Bobbie visited Lisa Hill in the hospital. She made a promise to Lisa that she was going to win Silverstone in her honor. Well Lisa got a few more promises out of Bobbie. Sadly, Lisa never got to see Bobbie win her first Silverstone Gran Prix. She died just a few short weeks before our first race at Silverstone.” Beth answered sadly. Tony could see that Beth was getting upset thinking about those promises made to Lisa and took over.

“I only found out about the other promises Bobbie made to Lisa as I read Bobbie’s journals. When I say that Lisa was the driving force behind all of Bobbie’s biggest wins. I’m not lying. She got Bobbie to promise her that she would win at least two Formula One championships, and three NASCAR championships. She also got her to promise her that she would be the first driver to ever win both the Indy five-hundred and the Coco-cola six-hundred in the same day. Bobbie had to wait to sign her NASCAR contract before she could even attempt the grueling double. But when she did Bobbie tried three times before keeping her promise.” Tony told Alexis and the audience with a smile of pride in his late sister-in-law. “It was also a promise that drove Bobbie to win a Daytona five-hundred, and a Southern five-hundred at Darlington. Those trophies all hold special places of honor in Bobbie’s home garage office. Right next to her car collection.”

“Is it true that Bobbie has not only her first car in that collection but one of her racecars from each year she drove?” Alexis asked him.

“That rumor is true. Though you should know the racecars are from each race that is tied to a promise. Bobbie was funny that way about her racecars. If it was one that she drove to a win keeping a promise it never saw another racetrack. I think she spent upwards of several million dollars for cars that couldn’t be use anywhere but on a racetrack.” Tony chuckled as Beth nudged him in the ribs. “Though I have to say that her pride and joy was her very first car. A nineteen-sixty-nine blueberry black GTO J model that she won back from the Darlington Devils in a race for pink slips.”

“Wait are you telling that she lost her first car in an illegal street race only to win it back at a later date?” Alexis asked in surprise. Alexis realized at that point she really should have read the book and not skimmed the highlights.

“Bobbie McGuire never lost a rat race in her life Alexis. No, her Judge was damaged in a firebomb attack by a group of local thugs that are still awaiting probation. When the insurance company refused to pay for the restoration of her car. Bobbie signed the title over to the Darlington Devils for it to be a club car. Everyone believed that the car would never be the street racer it once was, but when Bobbie saw it racing around the Darlington Knight racetrack she just had to get her back. Sure, she could have bought the car back without a problem but that isn’t the way with rat racers. Once it was back in her position Bobbie did the one thing none of expected. She had it painted neon black.” Beth laughed at the look of confusion that crossed Alexis’ face at the name of the color.

“If you ever want to see the car you can Alexis. All you have to do is come to Darlington County on any weekday and park outside the student parking lot for Beauregard Smith High School, Darlington. There you will get to see five very special cars belonging to students.” Tony chuckled as he thought about the cars of his son, nieces, and two best friends.

Their parents may have retired from the street racing scene, but the Street Rats Car Club was still alive and well as was their legendary founders. The legends behind the Dodge Viper, Pontiac GTO J, Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang Cobra, and Pontiac Firebird plus the founding members of the Street Rats was the main reason behind those five cars being driven by the clubs current members. To say they held a special place in the school’s parking lot is an understatement.

“I still cannot believe you signed my Charger over to William like that on me.” Beth grumbled only to get a funny look from Alexis. Beth gave Tony a dirty look as she huffed out. “My husband gave my car to our son as a birthday present.”

“Beth I think you can afford a new car. What’s so important about letting your son have your old car?” Alexis asked in her confusion.

“Alexis that car was one of the founding vehicles for the Street Rats Car Club. It along with Bobbie’s Viper and GTO were the first cars ever to carry the Street Rats logo. Along with Jim Fields’ Mustang, and Sam Hurley’s Firebird.” Tony chuckled as Beth glared at him. “My wife is just peeved that our son, nieces, and their two friends are now old enough to drive their old cars.”

“Never remind a woman of her age sir.” Alexis snarked as Beth snorted in righteous indignation as Tony chuckled. “So, the title came about from promises to an angel in Bobbie’s past. One that rode on her shoulder during her races.”

“In more than a few ways Alexis. I know that Bobbie would often write about her promises to Lisa in her Journals. Especially when she was able to carry one out. I know that in her final days my sister wrote a lot about being able to see her old friend and all of the kids she helped through the year again in her journal.” Beth sighed sadly. “She did write that she had more than a few regrets concerning her two girls and her wife Kelly. The biggest of which is not being able to see them fall in love and fins their way in the world.”

“Near the end of the book you mention that Bobbie wanted her daughters to be something other than racecar drivers. Yet you never go into detail on what her wishes were. Care to explain why?” Alexis asked them hoping to get some inside information on the mysterious Robert Lee McGuire.

“Because Bobbie never said what she wanted her daughters to become. It’s that simple. Even if we did know. We won’t have put something like that down in what could be considered public record. There was one thing that Bobbie was deathly serious about when it came to her daughters. That they should find their own way in life.” Tony answered quickly. He knew that Bobbie would never want her daughters to know that she didn’t want them to follow in her footsteps.

“We have time for one last question. This one concerns you Beth. Is it true that you have finally retired from professional racing?” Alexis asked her.

“Yes it is true. I’ve accomplished everything that I wanted in my twenty years behind the wheel of a racecar. It is a young person’s sport Alexis. I just don’t have what it takes to keep up with the young guns out there now days. In the words of Sir Robert McNair ‘It’s time to let the next generation have their fun. I’m going fishing.” Beth chuckled as Alexis laughed outright. “While I may not actively drive for MRI anymore. I will still have a hand in managing the actual racing teams. Which to be honest is something I’m looking forward to doing.”

“Oh. Which teams will be managing? The NASCAR, ISA, or Formula One?” Alexis asked with more than a little surprise.

“I’ll be heading back to my roots with the Formula One teams now that McNair has retired to his country home in Scotland. Jim has agreed take over managing our NASCAR teams, while Sam has agreed to take care of the ISA team. Thankfully neither one of them have to deal with my niece Robbie. I get to have that fun filled pleasure.” Beth snarked as Tony just sighed.

“Let’s hope she’s not as bad as her mother.” Tony snarked.

“So, one of Bobbie’s daughters decided to follow her in footsteps?” Alexis asked.

“You could say that Alexis. Though I can honestly say that both of my nieces are their own driver. Lisa Ann McGuire is without a doubt one of the finest up and coming Stockcar drivers to grace the ISA. Sam Hurley won’t have to deal with the firebrand that is her sister Roberta Lee McGuire Jr.” Beth chuckled then looked straight into the nearest camera. “Robbie is very much her mother’s daughter. All we could do was put her behind the wheel of a Formula One and let her run. If you’re watch this Raniero Accomando. Tell that brat of yours we’re coming for him and that motley crew you call a team.”

“And with that not so friendly warning to the current Formula One champion we must say have a good day.” Alexis said the camera before turning back to Beth and Tony. “Thank you for being on my show Beth and Tony.”

“It has been our pleasure. Remember that you can only find Racing with an Angel on my Shoulder the official biography of Roberta Lee McGuire in your local bookstores. Hurry because they’re flying off the shelves as we speak.” Tony called out before the station went on commercial break.

“We’re off! Good job Alexis.” The studio producer called as Beth and tony stood up taking off their microphones. “Mister and Misses Towers it has been a pleasure having you here in our studio.”

“Like I said it was our pleasure.” Tony told the man before turning to Beth. “Come on love. If we push it we should make it back in time to see Robbie’s test run this afternoon. How do you think she’ll do?”

“She’s her mother’s daughter. She knows Darlington like the back of her hand.” Beth chuckled as she thought about how her niece drove. “For the first time in almost twenty years Bobbie’s unofficial record might actually be broken.”

“Excuse me. But what are you talking about Beth?” Alexis asked her.

“Just a little family history Alexis. Nothing you need to worry about. If you really want to know though. What we’re talking about can be found in our book. You know you really should have read it before the interview. You would have had better understanding of the person behind it.” Tony told her bluntly as they walked out of the studio holding hands.

The home of Kelly McGuire, Darlington County

Roberta Lee McGuire II, Robbie to her friends and family, stood in her late mother’s garage office looking at the trophies covering the walls. On the wall behind the desk were her mother’s Championship Trophies. To the far left hand end stood the 3 ISA Drivers’ champions. On the right hand end of the wall was the 3 NASCAR championship cups. In the middle of the wall were the 2 Formula One championship cups. Hanging on outside office wall were six trophies placed in a specially framing boxes. Those six trophies had small brass plaques at the bottom of their boxes. The plaques had a simple two word inscription ‘For Lisa’.

“I thought I would find you out here kiddo.” The voice of her grandfather drew Robbie’s attention away from the trophy wall. Robert ‘Bob’ McGuire smiled kindly at his granddaughter. “What’s bothering you today?”

“Nothing really papaw.” Robbie told him trying her best to hide her nervousness. She didn’t want him to know how nervous she was over today’s test run.

“Okay munchkin I’m calling bullshit on that one. It’s the test run isn’t it?” Bob chuckled as Robbie nodded her head blushing. “Don’t worry you’ll be fine.”

“I don’t know papaw. I wish that mama was here. She was never afraid behind the wheel of a car.” Robbie told her grandfather then admitted the one thing she didn’t want him to know. “I don’t think I can live up to her standards.”

“Oh sweetheart. Come here. I think it’s time for you to know something about your mother Bobbie.” Bob told her as he held out his arms to pull his granddaughter into a rib cracking hug. As she let the aging engineer hold her tight to his chest Robbie she felt a him chuckle. “If you think your mother was never afraid behind the wheel of a car. I suggest that you think again.”

“What do you mean papaw?” Robbie asked in confusion.

“Your mother may have been one of the best drivers anyone has seen in decades, but it was for a reason. You know how your mother was a survivor of childhood Leukemia?” Bob asked her only to feel her nod head her against his chest. “Even though she learned to face her fear of death in those hospital wards at a very young age that fear really never left her. Instead of letting that fear rule her life as so many do. Your mother used her fear. She channeled it into the one place she had control. Behind the wheel of a racecar. It didn’t matter if it was a Stockcar, Formula One, or her personally modified street racer.”

“Was that really why she was so good papaw?” Robbie asked as she looked up into her grandfather’s loving face. She could tell by the look in his eyes her grandfather was somewhere else in time. When that was she didn’t know.

“Not hardly sweetheart. The reason your mother Bobbie was so damned good was because she knew herself, her limits, and what she wanted.” Bob told her with a smile as he tapped the end of her nose. “Just like you Robbie. When you girls said that you wanted to earn your Super Licenses like your mother Bobbie. Your mother Kelly came to your grandmother and me in tears. She couldn’t figure out how she failed your mother Bobbie in such a spectacular fashion.”

“I don’t understand papaw. What did she mean by that? We were the ones who wanted to become a professional racers.” Robbie asked as she pulled away from the man who had been more than just a grandfather to over the last ten years of her life.

“Robbie you were too young to remember your mother’s feelings on this matter. I can honestly tell you that she never wanted for you or your sister to follow in her footsteps. She want you girls to become Doctors, Lawyers, anything in the world but racecar drivers. To her driving a racecar was a way to put a roof over your heads, food on the table, and money in the bank for when you girls go to college. You have to remember that she always knew that her Leukemia could return. From the time you girls were born everything Bobbie did was for you and your sister.” Bob told her as he held her in his arms. “When the Leukemia finally did return Bobbie knew that both her career and her time on this earth was over. She accepted her fate the same way she raced. Head on, no holds barred. That is what made her such a great driver.”

“Never holding back. Really papaw? Was that really her secret.” Robbie asked her grandfather with more than a little confusion.

“Yup. Your mother lived life to its fullest. In your mother’s mind she felt that she was living on borrowed time from the time she was sixteen. That was why she drove so hard. Well, that and to keep a promise she made to a friend.” Bob told his granddaughter with a heavy heart looking over at those six special trophies. “She always kept her promises. It didn’t matter how long it took.”

“Papaw why are those six trophies so important?” Robbie asked him kindly. She knew that they were very special but had no idea why.

“Back when your mother was first undergoing treatment for her Leukemia. She made a friend in the hospital. A young girl by the name of Lisa Hill who was suffering from cancer herself. The two of them became fast friends bonding over their shared loved of Formula One racing. Anyway, during one of the lowest time in your mother’s young life she made the first of several promises to Lisa. That promise was to earn her Super Licenses and become a professional racecar driver. A few years later after your mother earned her Super Licenses Lisa challenged your mother to go out and win certain races.” Bob let her go and walked over the wall of trophies. He placed his right hand on each trophy as he named them off for his granddaughter. “They were the Silverstone Gran Prix, the Indy five-hundred, the Daytona five-hundred, the Coco-cola six-hundred, the Darlington Southern five-hundred and finally the Coco-cola six-hundred. Out of all her trophies two of her most prized trophies she won on the same day. She did it by pulling off what most saine drivers consider to be the truly insane and impossible.”

“Which two are those papa?” Robbie asked in excitement.

“The Indy five-hundred and the Coco-cola six-hundred. She is one of the few drivers to ever attempt to run the grueling double. As it stands she is the only driver to have ever won both races on the same day. It took her three attempts to pull that one off. That stunt also damned near killed her each time she did it. When she finally climbed out of her car on victory for the Coco-cola six-hundred she collapsed into your Uncle Danny’s arms.” Bob told her with a heartwarming smile. “He literally had to hold her up as she accepted the trophy.”

“Oh, my god! Mama won both races for the grueling double! She had to be a monster behind the wheel of a racecar.” Robbie gasped. Then turned thoughtful asking in a defeated whisper. “How can I even begin to live up to that kind of legacy?”

“You don’t have to munchkin. If your mother was still here. She would tell you to live your own life, drive the way you want, to build your own legend, and tell everyone else to go fuck themselves.” Bob’s very blunt language had the desired effect on his granddaughter. She stood there with her mouth hanging open for five seconds then started laughing. “That’s better munchkin. Now go get into your leathers. Your grandmother is waiting for us over at the Lady.”

“Can we take my car?” Robbie asked as they walked out of the office into the garage area. “I just give her a full tune up. I also got those new seats put in.”

“Go get changed munchkin. Let me double check your work on the Viper. If it is up to MRI standards. Then yes we’ll take your car.” Bob told her with a sly smile. Robbie returned the sly smile, stood on her toes, gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, and ran for the house. As he watched his granddaughter run towards the house Bob had to grab the door frame of the garage. “My god. She looks more and more like her mother every day. I think I’ll accompany the F-One teams this year and have Jewels go with the ISA teams.”

“Talking to yourself Bob is the first sign of going crazy.” The sound of Jake Stones’ voice drew Bob’s attention to the far side of the garage area. Bob turned to find his friend and senior Crew Chief by Bob’s Coco-cola 600 stockcar.

“What the hell are you doing here Jake?” Bob asked in surprise.

“It’s my turn to check on the babies.” Jake told him as he patted on the hood of the car. “Figured that I would come by early do my maintenance checks then head over the Lady and watch Robbie do her test run. What about you?”

“Kelly called me about an hour ago.” Bob told him as he looked over at the house. “She’s worried about Robbie. She knows just how important this test run is for her. After all it is Bobbie’s last engine design that Robbie is testing today.”

“Wait a fucking second here boss.” Jack snarled as he stormed around the car and across the garage floor. “Are you telling me that monster was designed by Bobbie? I thought it was Robbie’s design. Where the hell did Bobbie have it hidden?”

“That’s just it Jack. It wasn’t hidden.” Bob chuckled. “My daughter hung the design in plain sight on her office wall. It was Robbie who brought the design to me. The poor girl didn’t know what she had in her hands when she gave it to me.”

“You have got to be shitting me boss. How could she not know? Robbie has helped each of us tear down and rebuild every powerplant in this garage. She tore down and rebuild the Viper’s engine and transmission on her own. No one helped her. She threatened Stephany with a torque wrench when the Blue Devils tried to help out with the rebuild.” Jack told Bob in surprise and respect for the teenager. “That was no little feat either.”

“Just like her mother would have, God rest her soul.” Bob chuckled as he looked around the one acre building with its six car lifts, paint booth, body shop, and mechanical work area. As he did so Bob let his eyes linger on the collection of class sports and muscle cars then finally the six professional racecars. “I remember when Bobbie first had this place built. I thought it was nothing more than a huge waste of time and money.”

“You weren’t the only one Bob.” Both men turned to see Bill Stone coming out of the garage’s parts room. “I thought I heard you out here Jack.”

“Doing inventory Bill?” Jake asked his brother with a smile.

“Nope just delivering some parts that Lisa ordered for a project car.” Bill told them as he point over at a tarp covered car in one of the work bays. “Though why they’re bothering with a seventy-five Lancia Stratos kit car is beyond me.”

“Did you say a Lancia Stratos kit car?” Bob asked with a heavy chuckle. When Bill nodded his head yes Bob knew that he would have to tell his two Crew Chiefs what was going on. “It’s probably going to be a birthday gift for their grandmother.”

“Wait a second here boss. Why would they be building a kit car for Jewels?” Jake asked him with real confusion.

“For starters Jewels very first car was a Lancia Stratos HF. It was a hand me down from her father. He originally bought the car while he was a US Airman stationed at the RAF Lakenheath airbase, outside Brandon, England. Jewels has a picture of her with her father standing in front of that car hanging in her home office. The picture was taken on the day that he gave her the keys and title.” Bob chuckled as he thought about that picture.

“Well, it won’t be ready in time for Jewels birthday this year. They got far too much work to do on the car yet.” Bill told him honestly.

“I won’t say that Bill. The only time those two girls tarp a project car is if they’re near completion and are protecting the paint job.” Jake told them both.

“I looked under the tarp Jake. They’re nowhere near ready for paint. That car is still bare steel sheet metal. I think the only reason they’ve got it covered is so that Jewels and Kelly don’t find out.” Bill told his brother smiling.

“If they’re still working on the body. I highly doubt that they would want either of them seeing the car just yet.” Bob chuckled.

“Papaw! I’m ready!” Robbie called out as she entered the garage. When Bob, Jake, and Bill saw her in her purple family racing leathers they all thought they were seeing a ghost. “Did my car stand up to inspection?”

“Um… yah… um… what?” Bob asked trying to get over how much Robbie looked like her dead mother just then. Shacking his head to clear his thoughts Bob smiled at his granddaughter. “Grab your purse and keys. You’re driving.”

“YAH!” The teenager shouted as she ran back to the house to grab the rest of her racing gear, purse, and car keys. As she ran across the yard Bob turned to his Crew Chiefs. “We’ll met you two at the track. Is Dale coming?”

“Naw. Whish that his was. Him and Danny had to be in Charlette today for that ISA/NASCAR incorporation vote. Do you think they’ll finally agree to terms?” Jake told him. Only to get a grunt from Bob. “I’ll take that as a no.”

“As much as you and I would love to see the two leagues incorporate I doubt that it will ever happen. There are too many points of contention between the two chairmen to ever see eye to eye. It won’t matter how the Chiefs’ vote turns out. They’ll never let the ISA and NASCAR combine into one sport.” Bob sighed. Then she spotted Robbie going out of the house. “Got to go guys. It looks like munchkin is finally ready to prove to her mom that she is a McGuire.”

“She did that already Bob. Kelly just doesn’t want to accept the fact that her little girls are just as much Bobbie’s girls and hers. They got their good looks and brains from her.” Jake said as he looked over at the teenage girl over by the black Dodge Viper. “But their driving skills and drive to win came from the one place that none of us expected. Their father, Roberta Lee McGuire.”

“Tell me something I don’t know already, Jake.” Bob chuckled as he walked out of the garage. “Tell me something I don’t know.”

As Bob climbed into the passenger seat Robbie was already starting the engine. As the racing-tuned V-10 monster roared to life under the hood. Bob suddenly knew that his youngest daughter maybe gone but her spirit was still alive. Alive and well in his granddaughters. “Keep it under the speed limit munchkin. No need to go pissing off the locals. Remember they’re not prepared for this car or you.”

“I know papaw.” Robbie giggled as she headed down the driveway to the road. “I’ll behave. I won’t say the same about them.”

Bob looked towards the farms driveway entrance and chuckled. Sitting there on the side of the road were the rest of the Street Rats car club. All 17 members and they weren’t alone. The Darlington County Sheriff’s personal car was parking in front of them. As Robbie rolled onto the hardtop of the road the Sheriff lipped on his lights before peeling out in front of her. As the car club lined up behind her and the Sheriff. Bob reached over and hit the play button for the CD player.

As the music of Bobbie’s old street racing mix filled the air of the car Robbie grinned. With that simple act the unofficial race through Darlington County to Darlington Speedway was on. Robbie knew that her friends were letting her win but that wasn’t the point. This race was in memory of her mother Bobbie McGuire. As they rolled through the countryside Bob knew that the Sheriff Patrol cars had to be bocking the crossroads and keeping the ‘racecourse’ clear. When they finally reached Darlington Speedway, with the exception of the five leading car, the Street Rats all stopped in the parking lot.

“Not bad munchkin. You’ve really learned how to handle this monster.” Bob chuckled as they pulled to a stop in the infield garage area of Darlington. “Before we get out sweetheart. You should know that no matter what happens out there today you’re not alone in that car. I’m going to tell you a secret. Behind every successful racecar driver there is a full team. They may get all the attention like a winning pitcher or quarterback, but they’re nothing without the rest of their counterparts. Their catcher and receiver. There something similar in racing. Your counterpart out there during a race is your spotter.”

“Um… papaw I hate to tell you this, but mama already told me all this. Do you know who is supposed to be my spotter for the test run?” Robbie asked him.

“Well, it was supposed to be your Uncle Joey, but he got called away. So, I have no clue as to who your grandmother wrangled to fill in for him.” Bob sighed. “Just remember that whoever it is in the nest. You listen to them. Do what they say. Don’t argue with them. Your spotter has a better view of the whole track.”

“Yes sir.” Robbie told her grandfather before climbing out of the car. Before closing the door, she reached door and popped the trunk. Bob watched as she pulled her equipment bag from the trunk. Bob could tell that it held her HANS device, helmet, and other personal protection gear. As the two of them walked over to pit road Robbie spotted four elderly women standing of to one side. “Say papaw. Who are those old ladies? Friends of yours and grandma?”

“Those are the COWWs of Mercedes-Benz munchkin. Head on over to the car. Let me and your grandmother deal with them.” Bob snarled as he stormed over to the four.

“They’re who papaw?” Robbie asked in confusion.

“In the words of your late mother. Those four ladies are Crazy Old White Women.” Bob chuckled as he pushed her towards pit road. As Robbie headed for pit road Bob headed for the granddames of Mercedes-Benz. Jewels met him halfway to the four ladies. “First of all, ladies. Thank you for coming today.”

“NO thank you for inviting us Robert. When we lost Bobbie we thought for sure that we would never again have the pleasure of sponsoring MRI.” Mercedes Jellinek said as she held out her hand to Bob. “Now we have the honor of watching her namesake test the very engine her mother designed.”

“Don’t worry Mercedes. Roberta junior is just as talented as her mother.” Jewels assure her with a welcoming hug. “Trust me you are all in for a real show today.”

“From what we’ve been hearing Jewels that was never in doubt. The same thing can be said about the engine. Is it truly that remarkable?” Bertha asked.

“Why don’t we head over to the trailer. You can see for yourself. We have your usual seats prepared.” Bob told them as he pointed to the top of the MRI car hauler. “And ladies please do go pulling that bullshit line about being too old to climb the ladder. I damned well know better.”

“Oh, very well Robert. No need to go getting snippy about things.” Bertha snorted then chuckled. “It’s not like we’re not dressed properly.”

As they were climbing the ladder for the trailer. Over on pit road Robbie was stopped by her mother. Who was looking over at the gathering of COWWs and grandparents. “Put that out of your mind sweet pea. Right now, you need to focus on two things. The track, and your driving.”

“Yes ma’am.” Robbie breathed out as she looked down at her equipment bag. “I just have to figure out what mama Bobbie would have done with this engine.”

“Take these and forget what she would have done.” Kelly told her daughter as she hand Robbie an old iPod, earbuds, and Hamalton® steering wheel. “They were hers.”

“Thank you mama.” Robbie told Kelly as helped her to put her hair into a ponytail for the Nomex balaclava head covering. Robbie put in her earphones for the radio and pull on the balaclava. Next come her glove liners and gloves. The last thing she put on was her helmet before climbing into the car’s cockpit. Bobby Joe jr. the left rear tire changer helped Robbie strap into her custom-made seat. She quickly hooked up the iPod to the radio and turn on the music. She give Bobby Joe the thumbs up, and he stepped away smiling.

Robbie flipped the ignition switch and waited for the team to kick the engine over. Unlike with Stock cars, F-1 cars have to be started by an external crank that is connected directly to the engine in the rear of the car. When the engine turned over Robbie felt her first rush of the day. She slowly flex her hands on her mother’s Hamalton® steering wheel. When the signal to pull out came Robbie pushed in the clutch and shifted into first gear. She felt the power of the V-6 turbo charged engine feed the massive 8 speed transmission. She almost missed shift into third gear when the voice of her mother Bobbie filled her ears.

“Hello kiddo. If you’re listening to this that means you have decided to follow in my footsteps. As there are two of you I made this recording for the both of you. So, when you get out the car pass it onto your sister. I had hoped that you girls would get behind the wheel of a racecar like me and your aunt. I actually wanted something better for you girls. But you’re here now. Just know that I couldn’t have prouder of you. You decided what you wanted to be. On this iPod you will find all seventy-seven of my personal racing play lists. Each play list is especially compiled for a certain racetrack. They are listed by track name. Just cue up the track and let the music take you away. Those play lists are how I was always able to race the track and not the field. Remember these two pieces of advice kiddo. First race the track, never the field. Second never trust the track conditions to stay the same throughout the race. Remember those two pieces of advice when you’re racing, and you’ll never lose a race. You’ll also find that it applies to life as well.” As Bobbie’s voice fill her ears Robbie had to fight back the tears at hearing her mother giving her advice for racing and life. “Just remember that whenever you use this iPod to race. That I’ll be right there in the car with you. Consider me your personal racing shoulder Angel. Never forget that I love you kiddo.”

As Robbie rounded the track for her fifth and final warmup lap the first notes of music replaced her mother’s voice. As she crossed the starting Pat Benatar’s Running with the Shadows blasted out of the earbuds.

We're running with the shadows of the night
So baby, take my hand, you'll be alright
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

You said, "Oh, girl, it's a cold world when you keep it all to yourself"
I said, "You can't hide on the inside, all the pain you've ever felt"
Ransom my heart, but baby, don't look back 'cause we got nobody else

We're running with the shadows of the night
So baby, take my hand, you'll be alright
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

It didn’t take her long to lose herself to the music and race the Lady in Black. Not thinking twice, she keyed her mike. “Thanks mom!”

“You’re welcome munchkin! Now drive the wheels off that car! Put on a really show baby girl! It is time to take your place as the next Midnight Angel! Just don’t go blowing the engine this time!” Kelly told her as she watched her daughter pull every last ounce of horsepower out of Bobbie’s experimental engine and transmission.

As they watched their granddaughter drive from the top of the car hauler Bob and Jewels McGuire could only smile in pride. Bob had started the stopwatch in his hand the second Robbie crossed the line. They watched as their granddaughter powered through turns 1 and 2 as if she was on rails. As she exited onto the back straightaway Jewels looked down at the stopwatch grinning. “I really think that Bobbie’s record is in danger of being broken this time Bob.”

“I don’t think. I know that it is Jewels.” Bob chuckled. “Robbie is just like her mother. Once she get’s an idea in her head. Nothing can stand in her way. She’s going to be that car to its limits and beyond.”

“I do believe that another Racing Angel has been born.” Jewels sighed with pride for her granddaughter as she leaned her head on Bob’s shoulder. Juliana McGuire’s words that day could not have been more prophetic.

Over the next twenty-five years Roberta Lee McGuire; Robbie to her friends, family, and fans, would go on to break all of her mother’s records. She would be the first female to win four consecutive FIA championships. She would be the first driver in the ISA to win four consecutive championships. She would become the female NASCAR driver to win seven consecutive Championships trying Jimmy Johnson. She would set records for speed and time on almost every track she raced. Her only competition would come from her twin sister Lisa. To the rest of the racing world their greatest fear had returned with the twin daughters of Bobbie McGuire. Their beautiful looks and unmatched skills earned them the nickname Racing Angels.


I hope you have enjoyed this story. I know that I have enjoyed bringing it to you. My health and my muse have decided that I should spend more time with my other stories.

up
297 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you for the most

Thank you for the most beautiful ending to a series I have loved since the 1st chapter of Racing Angels

Amanda

A grand Story

Robyn B's picture

Jess,

I have enjoyed reading this story just as much as any of your others.
It is sad to see it come to an end, but it finished well.

I look forward to reading more of your stories as soon as your 4H commitments will allow...

Robyn B
Sydney

Finale

When I saw the boldface type, I knew I was in for a treat! I have to say that I spent a fair bit of time wiping tears away. I was not totally surprised given the previous chapter but...this tore at my heartstrings. Wonderfully done!!

As for you the authoress -- keep the chapters for the stories coming at whatever rate works for you but please do not neglect your health.

Perfect Ending

Going to miss Bobbie & company, though.

i was about to tell you off, but

Link Starsider's picture

“Just remember that whenever you use this iPod to race. That I’ll be right there in the car with you. Consider me your personal racing shoulder Angel. Never forget that I love you kiddo.”

i was going to complain that you forgot a huge WARNING tag, "Tissue box needed", but you even put enough thought into the tags as you have your story. thank you for such a wonderful ride with this.

Tissue required

I just finished my second reading and this time fewer tissues were required. Great story I hoping for more but you closed out any hope with the ending

Tissue required

I just finished my second reading and this time fewer tissues were required. Great story I hoping for more but you closed out any hope with the ending

all good things must end

I'll miss this story, but you wrapped it up perfectly

DogSig.png

Love Hate

BarbieLee's picture

Knew it was going to be a full blown flood when I read it was Bobbie's autobiography. Never stopped crying the rest of the way through the story line. That should tell you how much I related to your actresses, especially Bobbie. She was a fighter on and off the track.
Hugs wolfjess
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it until it is time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

It's actually a biography.

It's actually a biography. If they published all of her journals without editing, those might be called an autobiography. It's just the difference between writing it yourself, or someone writing about you.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

While having Bobbie die was

While having Bobbie die was disappointing, it wasn't unexpected. Leukemia is one of those diseases that even when it is cured, it seems to have a way to recreate itself. I've seen it up close.

Who is with me that the engine design being framed on the wall was Bobbie's last practical joke?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Framed Engine Design practical joke

wolfjess7's picture

I was hoping no one would spot Bobbie's final practical joke on her family. For those who are wondering. The engine design is the one that Bobbie was working on for her project car in her old barn. (chuckles) I had to do something with the design.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Sorry to spoil your fun - but

Sorry to spoil your fun - but you already know I tend to spot weird things.

Hope your health improves.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I'm surprised you didn't say

I'm surprised you didn't say that the engine was named the McGuire Chekhov.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The thought had crossed my mind.

wolfjess7's picture

I had actually though about using a Star Trek name for the engine. It would have been called the McGuire Scotty in honor of the famed Star Fleet Engineer. Chekhov was a Navigator.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I was thinking of Chekhov's

I was thinking of Chekhov's Gun, as you decided since you mentioned it in the barn, you had to use it. So it'd be the McGuire Chekhov engine.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

An All Time Favorite

db-guru's picture

This is one of my all time favorite stories and it's only competition comes from Flight of the Claymore and other Death Dealer stories. There's only one solution. I declare this my all time favorite story and Death Dealers my favorite universe as they are both very special to me.

"Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart
Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams." Mary Ellen Kelly

I totally ugly-cried...

I'd been a huge fan of this story for a lot of reasons... one of them being that I grew up rat-racing on the backroads of coastal South Carolina. To this day one of my favorite things is Track Day.... I might not get paid to race but at least I don't have to buy my own tires!

When you took the story forward and let us know that Our Hero had finally sucumbed to her Demon... I cried. Not little snuffly tears, straight up ugly crying...

For anyone who still thinks girls can't be racers/tuners... I invite you to view a couple of my fav YouTube channels
Sarah 'n tuned
Emelia Hartford
Collette Davis

Thank you for a seriously awesome story.

Battery.jpg

Wow! Just Fantastic!

What an amazing and satisfying ending to a rollicking good read. You really have a knack as a story teller and I try to read literally everything you post here. Thank you so so so much for all the hours of enjoyment! I hope there’s lots more stories to come.

Chris

Don't believe everything you think.

Wonderful endings to a very

Wonderful endings to a very well written series. Wishing you all the best as you move forward with your life. Thank you for the pleasure you have given your readers.

Thank you Jess!

Marvelous story telling. All of us who have faced down Leukemia know it can bite back to prove all the struggles with recovery and dealing with the fact that the cure is almost as insidious as the disease. Bobbie was Heroic, motivational and hope generating. Having just started Into the Fire Once More just before my diagnosis of Myoloid Displastic Syndrome which metamorphosed into Acute Myoloid Leukemia, you stories have entertained me and provided me with distraction through the long nights and longer days. I look forward to enjoying the rest of your portfolio of heroic daring do. Thank you for you time and authorial efforts. Racing Angels and Speedway Demons rate way up there for me.

Bobbie in medicine

I guess there would have had to be a Bobbie in the medical profession to save Bobbie, but alas, it was not to be. It must've been quite sad for Kelly, the kids and the rest of family and friends to lose her. But at least the racing competition won't get a reprieve because Bobbie's daughters race in search of fame to terrorize the racing world, and whosoever shall be found without a win on stage must stand and face the hounds of blame and rot inside a trailer shell. ;-) >:->

Thx for a great series.^^

I cannot believe you just Thrilller

wolfjess7's picture

I cannot believe you just Thrillered me! (chuckles.) Micheal Jackson always had a way with words for inspiring songs. Though I might have gone for 'Beat it!' or 'Ghosts'. ;-)

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

One wizz bang of a story

Jamie Lee's picture

Bobbie having a relapse had to happen, she'd completed all of her promises to Lisa. While her death was hard to read about, her life and all she did on and off the track was a joy to read about.

Seldom does a story like this deal with the off track life of the main character, at least not the character's life and their personal demons. And that's what makes this story so compelling to read, it could be about someone's actual life.

I have always kept an eye open for this story and additional chapters. Now I have to keep an eye open for the next wonderful WolfJess story.

Others have feelings too.

Great story Jess!

Patrick Malloy's picture

You have yet to let me down. This final chapter of this story was the perfect way to wrap it all up.

Patrick Malloy

I am unsurprised to hear that

Beoca's picture

I am unsurprised to hear that the one final chapter did indeed involve Bobbie’s leukemia returning. With that tragic fact noted, though, you did a fantastic job at creating a happy ending that was only somewhat bittersweet. To say that I will miss this story will be an understatement - I may not be a racing fan, and thus not get references, but I have very much enjoyed this one. Call it me never tiring of reading the dialogue and comic moments of Wolf protagonists all you want, but Bobbie was special.