NFTG

Printer-friendly version

It had been a busy day for Austin. His day at work had been long and hard, tiring him out like nothing had in a long time. Fortunately, he'd made it through, and he was now back at his apartment. Plus, he had the day off tomorrow, so that was an opportunity to recover till the next work day.

While Austin was making himself a dinner of Ramen noodles, his friend and roommate Ken came home. "Hey Austin," said Ken. "Long day at work?"

"Don't get me started," Austin groaned.

Ken read Austin's pained expression and nodded. "I'll take that as a yes," he said.

"How about your visit with your cousin? How was that?"

"It was great," said Ken. He sat down on the couch and pulled out his phone. "He just got engaged to his girlfriend, so she was over for the day."

"Wow. Good for him."

Austin continued to cook his Ramen noodles until they were ready to eat. He poured them into a bowl and took the bowl into the apartment's living room where Ken was sitting.

"This is it," Ken muttered as he looked at his phone.

"What?"

"I'm about to make a huge purchase."

"Really? What are you gonna buy?"

"An NFT."

These words took Austin by surprise. "A what?"

"You know, an NFT. A Non-Fungible Token," said Ken.

"Yeah, I know what an NFT is," said Austin. "But why are you gonna blow your money on one?"

"Well...because it might be a good investment," said Ken. "See, this is what I'm gonna get for $5,000." He showed Austin his phone, where he had open a picture of a cartoony, blonde-haired girl. The picture wasn't even that good-just a few shapes and colors arranged to look like a human female.

"Ken, do you even hear yourself?" Austin asked. "You're spending five grand on a digital image when you could easily just screenshot it."

"No, that's not how it works," said Ken. "Only the original file has value to it. If I take a screenshot, then it'll be worthless."

"So? People copy/paste digital images across the Internet all the time. I hardly think it matters if you quote-unquote 'own' the original one."

"Austin, this is the future," said Ken. "I don't know how much you know about NFTs, but-"

"Yeah, I know how it works," said Austin. "I know it's all just a big scam. You're wasting thousands of dollars just to say you own the file, even though technically the file still belongs to the person you bought it from."

"It's not just about owning it," Ken argued. "It's about investing in it. If I only spend $5,000 now, I can sell it for even more money in the future."

Assuming you can find someone else dumb enough to waste money of this shit, Austin thought. "Well, it's your money," he relented. "You can do what you want with it."

"Indeed I will," said Ken. He tapped his phone's screen some more and made the transaction. He watched with anticipation as the NFT file downloaded to his phone. When the process was finished, he smiled. "It's done!" he said.

"Oh, you did it?"

"Yup."

"Well...good for you, I guess," said Austin. "Have fun doing...whatever it is you'd even do with an NFT."

"I mean...I guess I can look at it," said Ken. He opened the NFT file and looked at the picture of the blonde girl. But a few seconds after the file was opened, something strange happened. The girl's eyes in the NFT glowed.

"What the..."

"What? Did the transaction not go through after all?" Austin asked hopefully.

"No, it did. But the file did something weird..."

"Whoa!" Austin exclaimed when he saw Ken. "What's happening to you?"

Ken looked down and was surprised to see that his whole body was glowing-and changing, too. His body fat was melting away, and his framework was shrinking. His waist pinched inward, his hips widened, and his thighs and ass got thicker. His throat smoothed out and his face softened, becoming that of a woman's. Ken's hair grew out past his shoulders and turned blonde. On Ken's chest, his nipples puffed up and his areolas grew wider. To his and Austin's shock, a pair of plump and perky boobs grew out on Ken's chest. But there was still one change left. Between Ken's legs, his penis and balls shrank away until they were nonexistent. Once they were gone, a vagina began its formation. Now Ken was Karen.

"What the..." Karen could barely even form words.

"You just turned into a girl!" Austin exclaimed.

Karen looked back at the NFT on her phone. "Was it the file? Was it cursed?"

As if in answer, the girl in the NFT file suddenly came to life. She looked at Karen and started laughing. "You are so fucking stupid," she chortled. "Spending five thousand dollars on an NFT when you can buy literally anything else!"

"Well," Austin said, trying to avoid laughing himself, "I told you it was a bad idea."

Karen just sat there, speechless.

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If Melanie wrote this chapter the last line would be...

Julia Miller's picture

Well shit...

It's a great story so far. A dude buys a fungible token off the internet (Why we have no idea?) and when he views it, the token changes him into a girl. Lol, now the joke is on her. I hope she now looks exactly like the girl's image on the token.

Tag

Please add the tag "Magic". Because at this time, a "simple" phone can't do this.
And I'd like to see who sold and created the token.

Thx for nice story^^

Oops

Daphne Xu's picture

I was reminded of the tulip bubble. But then it morphed into something very different -- karma, perhaps.

-- Daphne Xu

What Tulip Bubble?

I don't get what you're referring to. What is the tulip bubble?

mysteryman

Exactly

Daphne Xu's picture

It happened a couple centuries ago. Prices of tulips rose through the roof, and people were buying them at high prices to sell at higher prices. Tulips were attractive all of a sudden. Then the bubble burst and prices dropped, costing numerous persons their fortunes.

It seems as if the idiot friend participated in exactly the same thing and thinking.

-- Daphne Xu

At least when you bought tulips,

Julia Miller's picture

You were getting something for your money. I don't know what you get when you are buying cryptocurrency or NFT. Perhaps our boy did get something of value after all...

Cryptocurrency...

... is a fiat currently. It's worth exactly what everyone agrees that it's worth. It's the same for the dollar, euro, pound, mark, or whatever. We also routinely trade and use those currencies in digital from. The only real difference is that there is no actual physical form for cryptocurrency, and there is no central controlling authority.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

I know a number of people who would pay five grand for that token in a red hot minute.

If it came with an age reset and much improved health, I would go for it.

Health Care

Daphne Xu's picture

Advanced and highly inexpensive.

-- Daphne Xu