Mun River

Printer-friendly version

 

Mun River
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2023 Melanie Brown

Sequel to Blue Light Yokohama - Ed
 


 
341207995_905645427393922_8441848950317607085_n.jpg

It was a warm evening when I stepped off the baht bus near the banks of the Mun River in Ubon Thailand. From what I’ve been told, it’s always a warm evening in Thailand. I grinned to myself on how when I first heard about the Mun River, in my mind I heard Andy Williams crooning away. Not the same river. Just a few hours ago, I was freezing my buns off at the Misawa AFB in Japan and now I’m sweating wearing my civvies in Ubon Thailand, home of the 408 MMS.

While I’ve yet to start work at the bomb dump at the base, it has been a long day getting processed in with all the paperwork. A buddy got me set up with an off-base bungalow instead of living in the barracks. It’s nice. We have house boys to clean our rooms.

I didn’t want to be out here too long as it got dark, but I did amuse myself looking at all the boats lining the banks of the river. These weren’t the nice boats you see along a river in the U.S. These boats are more like floating shanties where people live. I shook my head watching one person standing in the river brushing his teeth while just a couple of boats upstream was someone was taking a piss into the same river. The Mun River is a tributary to the Mekong River. Which is about as close to Vietnam as I ever want to get. Well, I did have a layover in Saigon on my way from Japan. At least I got combat pay while I was there.

I heard some crunching on gravel behind me. I turned to see my buddy Collins coming up behind me. He wanted to make sure I stayed out of trouble hanging out with the natives.

Holding his Nikon up to get a shot in the fading evening sun. He looked over at me and asked, “Hey bud. Where’s your camera? You should always have it with you.”

I nodded at Collins. “Yeah. I regret not bringing it already. Lot of chicks here.”

Collins lightly punched my shoulder. “You best stay away from those chicks, Slick. Unless you enjoy the clap.”

I frowned at Collins. “They can’t all have it.”

Collins chuckled. “You really want to chance it? I recommend look all you want, but don’t touch.”

Collins took a picture of a large group of people standing under a large tree at the river bank.

“Do these folks mind if you take their picture?” I asked.

Collins laughed again. “Hell, who cares what the gooks think.” On the wall of his bungalow, Collins had a poster that was mostly red with a stylized cartoon of an American soldier firing his weapon with the words in large black letters above the soldier, “Join the military: Travel to exotic, distant lands, meet interesting and exciting people and kill them.”

There was a girl standing apart of the group who was staring at us. When she saw me look at her, she smiled. I inclined my head towards her and said, “That girl is staring at us for some reason. Surely she’s seen Americans before.”

Collins looked over at the girl. “Yeah, she knows Americans. She works at a café downtown called The Bangkok Bakery. It’s actually one of the nicer shops downtown.”

I kept looking at the girl who kept looking at us. “Food any good?”

Collins shrugged. “It’s okay, if you like gook food. It’s safer to eat at the mess hall. Nobody believes that, but it’s true.” He chuckled.

“Do you know anything about that girl?,” I asked Collins. “She’s kinda cute.”

Collins laughed loud enough to cause some people to look at us. “Sanderson, you sure can pick them!”

I narrowed my eyes at Collins. “What are you talking about.”

Collins shook his head. “Stay away from that one, Sanderson. She’s a kathoey.”

I shrugged. “What does that mean?”

With a smirk, Collins said, “She’s a transvestite. Like that one you ran into in Japan.”

I was struck with a sudden sadness at the memory of that poor girl Akane. We shared a special moment the night before she died. The guys at the base in Misawa all said rude things about her, but to me, she was a very pretty and very nice girl. And here I find another such girl, who’s not quite a girl. It’s crazy.

Collins said, “Come on. I think it’s time we get back.”

*          *          *

The next morning was bright and sunny. The palm and bamboo certainly gave the base an exotic look. Collins gave me a quick tour before they told me just what my job was to be.

We walked across a large clearing towards a few low buildings. Several vehicles were parked around it.

Pointing at the building as we neared it, Collins said, “This is the motor pool. You’ll be spending a lot of your time here. It seems these trucks and tractors always need repairs.” Inside were a large variety of tools and water jugs. What I didn’t like was that you had to lie down in the dirt to work on the engines or drive train.

As we walked out, I noticed a sign above the buildings. “Yamaha Shop” in red letters was on the sign. “Pointing, I asked Collins, what’s up with this?”

Collins chuckled as he answered. “This was a motorcycle shop before the base took over. The sign was left up to be funny.”

We climbed up in one of the several dark blue pickup trucks to drive through the base. It was too hot and large to do a lot of walking. At the bomb dump, there was an office and loading dock. There was a pallet of thousand pound bombs getting their fins and fuses installed. Surrounding us were revetments where the bombs were stored. Collins introduced me to some of the crew working there.

Collins stood there patting a thousand pounder after it had been loaded onto the trailer.

Collins said, “They’re getting ready to haul these to the flight line where they’re likely to be loaded onto F4s. Be sure to have your camera ready, because if you’re lucky, they’ll send a SR71 up. Those puppies don’t hang around. You have to be quick when they open the hanger, as it runs right out immediately and down the runway and at the end goes straight up, afterburners glowing. It’s quite a sight so you have to be quick. I almost got a picture once.”

As we drove around, I noticed these black, rubber looking tanks filled with water. “What are those for?” I asked.

Collins pointed at one. “In case of a fire. But we also use them for something else.”

Trying to talk above the whine of the truck’s engine, I asked, “Oh. What’s that?”

Collins chuckled. “If someone decides he’s not going to take a shower for a few days, we grab him and toss him the water. We only have to do it once.” I just shook my head and grinned.

Collins said, “One last thing is to show you the flight line and where you park to get unloaded.”

I was surprised there were other roads intersecting the one we were on. I thought there’d just be the one road between the bomb dump and the flight line. It was interesting to be surrounded by jungles.

“Hey! What’s with the kids?” I asked as I pointed at a few kids walking along the road and running down in the ditch beside the road.

Collins smirked. “We use local roads. Turning left up here takes us to a small village. It’s their country.” I saw a few signs that read “Royal Thai Air Force.”

Grinning, Collins said, “Okay, we need to take this vehicle back to the motor pool. Tell you what. We’ll take the baht bus downtown for lunch. We’ll go to the Bangkok Bakery so you can see your girlfriend. Tomorrow you’re going to be very busy.”

*          *          *

We got off the baht bus in downtown Ubon in the bright late morning light. There was a temple that dazzled your eyes to look at it. Much of it, including all the roof was covered in gold.

As Collins led us towards the Bangkok Bakery, I asked, “How can they afford to cover everything in gold? Aren’t they worried about theft?”

Collins shook his head. “It’s Thai gold. It has so many impurities in it, that it’s virtually worthless. Come on. The Bangkok Bakery is just around the corner.”

As we entered the Thai restaurant, I saw four girls working there. The place was clean with wooden tables. I saw the girl or whatever she is, that we saw at the river. She smiled at me.

“Good morning, Sgt Collins,” said one of the girls in a somewhat grating voice reminiscent of Chinese, smiling at us

Collins sat down at a stool at the counter. “And good morning to you, Mai. We’re off-duty today, so I’ll take a Singha. And one for my friend too.”

Mai smiled at me. “Thank you for bringing us new customers.” As she brought the beers out, she asked, “Does your friend have a name?”

Collins laughed. “Of course he does. Meet Sgt. Sanderson. Just in fresh from Japan.”

Mai grinned at me. “Nice to meet you, Sgt. Sanderson. I am Mai. The one whiping down the tables is Kaeo. And this one staring at you is Sarai.” Sarai looked embarrassed.

I smiled and said, “It’s very nice to meet you ladies.” I took a swig of my beer and gave the bottle a curious look. “This is a little bitter.”

Collins shrugged. “You’ll like it. Mai, I’ll have the chicken fried rice. Sanderson will have the same.”

I frowned at Collins. “I can order my own. I just wanted a hamburger.”

Collins said, “They use water buffalo for beef here.”

I nodded. “Okay. I’ll take the chicken fried rice.” It wasn’t until I got back to the states that I found out water buffalo is actually a healthier beef.

Mai grinned and said, “Two chicken fried rice coming up!”

To Mai, I said, “Your English is very good.”

Mai chuckled. “So is yours.”

Collins laughed. “Mai spent some time growing up in California.”

I smiled sheepishly and said, “Oh.” I looked over at Sarai. “Do you talk?”

Embarrassed, Sarai nodded. “When I have to.”

Collins said, “Remember, he’s a kathoey.”

Sarai lowered her head, “He’s right. I’m a boy.”

I smiled at her and said, “Well, I’m not rude. You look like a very lovely young lady to me.” She looked up and smiled at me.

As we exited the restaurant on our way back to the base, Collins whacked my arm and he looked at me sternly. “Look, if you’re into kinky stuff, I don’t want to know about it. But man, I’m telling you. Be careful around Sarai. It’s suspected he has ties with the Thai communists around here.”

I scowled at Collins. “Hey, lay off, man. She seems nice. It’s not like I go around blabbing secrets. And it’s not like Thais don’t work on the base.”

Collins thumped my chest. “Just be careful, man.”

Later that evening, I went alone back to the Mun River and wandered around. I mentally slapped myself. Was I expecting to run into Sarai? Didn’t matter because I didn’t.

*          *          *

It was Friday and I was tired of breaking my back, tired of the heat and I was really tired of Collins’ bullshit. I don’t know what the others were doing, but I was just going to kick back, relax, take a walk to unwind and have a beer and a burger at the Bangkok Bakery.

The week was exhausting. The government had declared a bombing halt. I don’t know where we’re dropping these bombs but delivering bombs to the flight line seems almost doubled. This is the second so-called bombing halt I’ve been through and they just mean more work.

“Greetings, Sgt. Sanderson,” said Mai as I walked through the door. “How are you tonight?”

I sighed heavily as I sat down on the stool at the counter and slid my sunglasses into my front shirt pocket. “I’m beat. It’s been a rough week. You know what they say… there is no gravity. The earth sucks.”

Mai chuckled. She waved to Sarai. “See what Sgt Sanderson needs.”

Before I said anything, she set a bottle of Singha down in front of me. I grinned at her. “And burger and fries.” I picked up the beer. It was already opened. I downed a slug and closed my eyes for a few moments.

As the burger was cooking, Sarai asked, “So G.I., where have you been? No visit all week.”

I rested my elbow on the counter and rested my head in my hand. “It’s been really busy.”

She looked at me curiously. “On American news, it said Johnson had declared a bombing halt. I thought you G.I.’s would be on vacation.”

I just blankly stared at her. “I can’t talk about it.” Mostly because I don’t know anything about it.

Sarai just shrugged and returned to tending to the burger.

As I was paying after finishing my meal, Mai called out to Sarai, “We’re closed now. You can go ahead and leave.”

As soon as I was out the door, Sarai was next to me. She giggled, “So. You have a girlfriend waiting at home?”

I shook my head. “Nope. No girlfriend.”

She looked surprised. “Do you have a mother?”

I laughed. “I do have one of those.”

Sarai grinned. “You should buy her a gift. Come with me.” She took my hand and started to lead me across the street.

I stopped while she continued to tug on my hand. “Hey, whoa. I don’t carry a lot of money on me.”

Sarai shook her head at me. “I’m not going to rob you or try to sell you sex. I was going to show you my favorite jewelry store.”

I relaxed a bit, but remained alert. She led me to a jewelry store just down the street from the Bangkok Bakery. She pointed out several items she thought my mother would like. “Your mother would enjoy some gold jewelry.”

I shook my head and chuckled. “This gold isn’t worth much.”

She held up a gold necklace. “It’s still pretty.” I nodded and went ahead and bought it. It wasn’t expensive.

The store wasn’t like a typical store. It was open to the dirty street. Their items were just laid out on table tops. While looking, Sarai suddenly shouted in an angry outburst as she let go of my hand and looked behind me. Her angry shouting in Thai was a bit grating. I turned around to see a young boy attempting to steal my wallet. Sarai gave chase a few feet as the boy ran away.

“Holy shit!” I exclaimed as I made sure my wallet was still in my pocket. I looked over at Sarai as she walked back towards me. “Thank you. That’s why I never carry much cash.”

She nodded. “You’re welcome Sgt. Sanderson.” I shuddered to think what would have happened if a cop had been there. I remember hearing a sailor tell of his experience in Singapore when a thief stole his watch. He called out that his watch was stolen and looked on as local police officer calmly pulled out his pistol and shot the thief dead. He picked up the sailor’s watch and returned it to him. He wasn’t sure if he wanted it back.

After I made my purchase at the jewelry store, a baht bus was parked by the curb, idling.

Sarai said, “I guess I should go home now. Maybe we’ll see you tomorrow?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Would you like for me t go with you on the bus?” The baht bus only cost one baht to ride. A nickel.

She smiled at me. “Sure, G.I. I’d like that.”

After we got on the bus and sat down, we didn’t talk, but Sarai took my hand. She just looked out the window as the bus headed towards the river.

As we walked from the bus in the fading light, I couldn’t control my curiosity. I asked Sarai, “Hope you don’t my question, but I have to ask. Why do you do this? Dress like a girl and all.”

She looked down at her feet and released my hand. “You wouldn’t understand. It’s how I feel I am inside. I’ve always felt I was a girl.”

I smiled at her. “Honestly, I can’t imagine you as a boy. Being a girl seems to suit you.”

She smiled back at me. “Thanks. My family just ignores me for the most part. You’re the first American who isn’t rude or mean to me or thinks I’m a psycho or something.”

I smirked at her. “Call me crazy, but to me, all I see is a very pretty and nice girl.”

Sarai grinned. “Sgt. Collins thinks you’re crazy. He told me so.”

I shook my head and chuckled. “That doesn’t surprise me.”

We stood there for a minute or so in the moonlight, the reflections sparkling on the river. I looked down at Sarai with the moonlight reflecting in her eyes. I put my hand under her chin and studied her pretty face. She really is very pretty.

I took a deep breath. “Well, I think your home is close by. I really need to get back. See you next week, maybe.”

Looking a bit sad, she waved and said quietly, “Good-night, Sanderson.”

*          *          *

I was happy to be back to driving bombs to the flight line. The past two days I’d been working on a semi and then later a tractor. Both days I’d end the day covered in sweat and grease. So it was a nice break to be driving down the dirt roads with my window open to deliver a load of bombs.

I saw her as I as I rounded a curve. A girl around fourteen or so, dragging a bundle of some kind. I know it’s against the rules but it was so hot and her bundle looked larger than she was. I stopped my truck beside her pushed open the door.

“Wanna lift?” I asked through the door. “I can take you as far as the turn off to the village.” That was over a mile.

She grinned at me and handed me her bundle to pull into the passenger side of the truck. I wasn’t sure how much English she understood, but seemed happy to get a lift, at least for some of the way.

She was really cute and I took a few pictures of her both before and after getting into the truck. Nevermind the fact that I had a full trailer of thousand pound bombs. She looked a bit worried and I realized that some of my fellow airmen might have taken advantage of the situation. I was sure none of the guys I worked with would have.

As she was exiting the truck at the crossroads to that small village, an Air Force pickup truck went blasting past us. The girl thanked me and went giggling off towards the village.

*          *          *

“Just what the hell was you thinking, sergeant?” Sweat rolling down the middle of my back, I stood at attention in my commanders office. One of the people in the pickup truck had been an officer and had witnessed the girl getting out of my truck.

“Well, sir. I ah…”

“The problem was you were thinking with your pecker and not with your brain. That truck is Air Force property, not your toy for joy rides! You’re transporting enough ordinance to obliterate her village. If you had wrecked that vehicle, you could have caused an international incident!” I idly thought, so what? I’d be dead and not care.

“I don’t want to see you giving joy rides to civilians again! Am I making myself clear?” barked the commanding officer.

Not moving a muscle, I said, “Yes sir!”

“You have to work your next day off and you’re restricted. Dismissed.”

That evening when the bus dropped us off at our bungalow, Collins said, “Hey, how about tomorrow we go into town and catch that new James Bond flick? Oh yeah. That’s right. You can’t. You have to work.”

“Knock it off, Collins,” I said with a scowl.

Collins punched my shoulder. “What were you thinking, man? I mean, for five bucks you could have had her sister. Maybe both.”

I said, “I told you to knock it off, Collins. It was hot. I was just trying to be nice.”

Collins shook his head. “That’s horse shit and you know it.”

Frowning, I said, “I’m not like you, Collins.”

Collins laughed. “I forgot. You like them girly boys.”

I grabbed Collins by the collar. “How about I knock some of your teeth out?”

Collins just grinned and pointed at his teeth. “How would you like to spend a few weeks in the guardhouse?” I pushed him away as I let go of his collar. He laughed. “Hey man. Learn to take a joke.”

*          *          *

It took a couple of days, but everything finally returned to normal. Collins and I would head into the town after work to have a beer at an outdoor table at the bar and watch the chicks walking by.

That lasted until Friday. The base sent out an official notification that the town and the river as off-limits due to a cholera outbreak. The problem was mostly with the water used in ice. I didn’t know anyone who’d go for a dip in the river.

Collins didn’t join me when I still went to Bangkok Bakery for dinner. When I walked in, Mai pointed at me and laughed, “You eat here, G.I., you die.” The restaurant was kept very clean so I really had no concerns.

As I exited the restaurant, I heard the door slam and running feet behind me. I looked over at the person next to me. It was Sarai.

She looked up at me and asked, “Do you mind riding with me back to my home?”

I nodded. “Sure. I’ll ride with you.” She grinned and took my hand.

The bus let us off near a very large tree by the river. During the day, people crowd around under it for escape from the brutal sun. There were almost no people around it at the moment. It was dusk so it was hardly providing any shade.

We stood in silence under the tree and just watched the river pass by. You could hear children and others talking from their boats. I put my arm around Sarai’s shoulder. I looked down at her and asked, “So. Do you have any plans for the future? Are you going to stay here in Ubon?”

She grunted a sad laugh. “Where am I going to go? I have a cousin living in Bangkok who has suggested I come live with her. She makes a lot of money from American tourists wanting to experience the exotic.”

I frowned. “That seems like such a harsh life.”

Sarai shook her head. “She lives quite well, actually. Considering. What about you, Sanderson?”

I stared at the river for several moments while I idly rubbed her arm. “I dunno. I might try college, though I don’t need the deferment now. My life back in Texas seems a bit tame now. But you know, this is such a beautiful country. I could see myself moving to live here after the war.”

With a sad smile, Sarai looked up and asked, “Would you come back for me?”

I looked down at her. I brushed some of her black hair away from her face. “You are very beautiful. Ignoring the voices shouting in the back of my mind, I bent down and gently pressed my lips against hers.

She slid her arms around my neck and pulled herself closer to me. She kissed me with a hunger I couldn’t understand. We kissed for a long while in the gathering darkness.

*          *          *

On the drive back to the bomb dump the next morning, I was thinking about my last evening with Sarai. I really hoped nobody – at least no Americans – saw us kissing. To me, she’s a girl, but no one else thinks that way.

And I do think Thailand is a beautiful country. The palm trees and the reddish dirt. Sure it’s hot, but I haven’t had one headache since I arrived in the country. I was serious when I told Sarai I would consider living here.

I was brought out of my reverie as a dozen of the guys ran up to my truck and mobbed me when I slid down to the ground.

“Sanderson!” shouted a guy I knew as Carter as he and the others ran up to me. “Are you okay?”

I thought that was an odd question. I said, “Of course I’m okay. Why?”

Carter pointed behind me. I turned and saw the billowing black cloud of smoke rising into the sky. “We thought you were dead!” A creepy feeling washed over me. Apparently there was an explosion near the flight line.

The bombs I had delivered weren’t the usual bombs. These bombs used a gas to separate the volatiles. Normally, I just park the truck in the unloading zone and go into the office and read a magazine while a crew unloads the bombs from the trailer. Oddly, this day I was told they weren’t ready for the load and to just drop the trailer and go back to the bomb dump.

Apparently one of the bombs leaked. The whole trailer detonated taking out the area, including the office where I would have been enjoying a magazine. All the guys in the area were killed.

The next couple of nights I had a really hard time going to sleep. Why was I still here and those other guys died? Who did they piss off and why was I spared? I’m glad I’m not dead, but it really bothered me a lot and to this day I wonder about it.

*          *          *

Sarai grinned at me in the fading light. “Three nights in a row! I’m not complaining, but what’s the occasion?”

I leaned in and kissed her again. “No occasion. It’s just the realization that there are no guarantees. You believe each day will follow the next. So you need to live every moment. Make every day count.”

She smiled and then leaned in for another kiss. “I like that idea. Why not go AWOL and we’ll run off together and hide from the world.”

I frowned at her. “I can’t do that. I’d never be able to return home.”

She ran her finger down the bridge of my nose and I kissed her finger tip. “But babe. You said you wanted to live here.”

“I don’t want to be on the run my whole life.” I looked at my watch. “Hey, I need to get back.”

Sarai sat up. “See you tomorrow?”

I shrugged. “Maybe. I gotta run.”

*          *          *

Collins came running up to me after I stepped out of the headquarters office. “Hey man, whatcha got there?” I was holding several documents.

I grinned at him. “Something that’s sure to make you happy.”

Looking at me curiously, he asked, “Well, what is it?”

I shook the documents in my hand. “Orders, man. I’m being shipped TDY back to Japan. Back to Misawa. Cherry blossom season.”

Collins grabbed my hand to look at the orders. “Seriously? You practically just got here. That’s so typical Air Force.”

I laughed. “I’m not complaining. I think the weather has gotten nicer there.”

“Do you want to join us tonight?” asked Collins. “Card game in the barrack’s dayroom.” I nodded.

Collins whacked my arm with the back of his hand. “Are you going to tell your girlfriend about your transfer?”

I frowned. “She’s not my girlfriend. I’m not going to have much time. I’ll tell her tomorrow at lunch at the Bangkok Bakery.”

Collings just grinned and shook his head. “Hey, see ya at seven. Don’t wuss out on me.”

Laughing, I said, “I’ll be there.”

And I was. Most of the guys were there. We had several games going. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Carter tossed his cards down. “I’m out. It’s not fair. I’ve never been to Japan once and you’re getting to go back.”

Collins shook his head. “So what’s the big deal about Japan? Same as here, right? Just a bunch of slope-heads.”

I frowned at Collins. “Japan has cute girls. It’s a beautiful country. Then there’s cute girls. It has a lot of culture. Not to mention history. And of course, cute girls.” I picked up the cards I was just dealt. I said, “Next month Pinky and Killers is going to have a concert in Tokyo. I plan to be there.”

Carter squinted at me. “She wears that derby, right?”

I nodded. “Yep. Cute as a bug in a rug.”

Collins narrowed his eyes. “Guys knock it off. Hear that?”

There was a growing sound of sirens outside followed by thump thump thump. In the distance we heard small arms fire.

Carter yelled, “We’re under attack?” We couldn’t believe it.

Collins shouted, “Turn off the lights!”

There were a few more dull thumps not far from us. I said, “Those explosions sound better in the movies.”

Collins ran up to a cabinet and tugged uselessly on the door. He pounded on it. “Does anybody have the frickin’ key?”

Carter said, “We thought you did.”

I had to laugh. “This couldn’t be any more typical Air Force. We’re under attack and we can’t open the weapons locker!”

Taking charge, Collins shouted, “Everyone on the floor. We’ll just have to wait this out.”

We all got down under the tables and waited for the building to blow up.

It didn’t.

*          *          *

The next morning we were all having breakfast in the mess hall as if everything was normal.

Collins sat down with the rest of us and announced, “Last night we came under rocket attack by the Thai communists. Their rockets had little effect.” He smirked as he held up a shiny key that he had on a chain around his neck. “I now have a key.”

Collins looked around the mess hall and leaned in close to me. He lowered his voice and said, “I got bad news about your girlfriend.”

I frowned. “Will you knock it off? She’s not my girlfriend.”

Collins looked me square in the eye and said, “Well, he’s in a hell of a lot of trouble. The attack last night? Air Force security thinks he was involved. They confirmed he has ties with the Thai communists.”

I stopped listening. How could she do that? All this time she’s basically been lying to me. Not only did I feel we had something special, hell, I thought she was at least on our side!

I just sat there staring at my coffee cup.

Collins said, “Sanderson? Sanderson?”

*          *          *

“Dad? Dad?”

Hearing my daughter Janet’s voice, I came out of my reverie. I said, “Just trying to find some good slides to show you guys.”

Janet laughed. “You better hurry. You’re on the verge of losing Sarah.” Sarah is my little granddaughter.

I chuckled. “Be there in a minute. Hey, it’s not every day you have someone actually asking to see your slides.”

From the doorway to my room, Janet said, “I’ll let her know you’re almost ready.”

I picked up the last box of slides from the box I kept all my Air Force pictures in. I noticed a red plastic slide box underneath some prints. My other slide boxes were all yellow plastic. I opened the red box and a couple slides fell out.

I looked at one and chuckled. It was from the time I visited Bugis Street in Singapore. I don’t think I’ll be showing those to Sarah. Those are definitely another story.

I gathered up my slides and hurried into the living room where I had my slide projector and screen set up.

“Who’s that, Grandpa?” asked Sarah after I had shown a few slides.

I sighed. “Just a girl I knew in Thailand.” I never learned what happened to her.

*          *          *

The End

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting and sad.

I should re-read "Blue Light" at some point.

Melanie E.

Blue Light Yokohama

Or you could purchase All For Love on Amazon

There was

A lot of sadness there at that time. War has that effect.

Ron

I Wish

joannebarbarella's picture

I could have been a kathoey. Most that I encountered were very beautiful and totally feminine

Sad story

Sad story but well written
Nice continuation
Would love to see further stories of Sanderson

I suppose there must

Angharad's picture

be many GIs who could tell similar stories.

Angharad