Father’s Day Surprise – 2 The Word’s Out This Father’s Day

Printer-friendly version


Father’s Day Surprise – 2
The Word’s Out This Father’s Day



By Jessica C



=^-^=
Previously: Heath/Heather learned a good number of dances from Paula and Adrian… Were you surprised as I thought you’d be… Saturday, Darby had Heather work around the house and yard. Only how I was dressed was different… Darby said, “Usually on Friday nights you’re downstairs in your cubbyhole. Last night you were up here watching a movie with me. What gives… Wanted to read stories on Big Closet, but I had spent enough time as Heather. I decided the focus wouldn’t be on me but on us… Darby, I know that’s usually your time to unwind. I was pleased that you shared it with me… “I’m thankful, that you’ve been stepping into my world; considering my other side…” Darby, the reality of who you are isn’t so scary. I can’t say I quite buy into it, but the reality is better than I imagined…



=^-^=


It was still Heath working daily as a photographer, though on Tuesday he was at his studio dressed as Heather. Heather acted as a receptionist when a sandwich and iced tea were delivered. He was surprised by Darby to see how her husband would react.

Darby had come by Uber knowing they could ride home together. Heather showed his wife a big folder of pictures he was working up for a Pillsbery event presentation.

“That’s very nice Dear, I continue to be greatly impressed. You’ve been getting good recognition,” she said.

Heath says, “There’s a ‘but’ in your tone, what are you thinking?”

She says, “If Heather’s identity what will that do for you?”

She pulls out a package that came this morning. Heather takes it seeing it came to her from Victoria’s Secret. Two pairs of silk stockings that she had ordered.

“Thanks for bringing them. To answer your question, it will probably muddy the waters professionally. Some will enjoy bracing my truth, and in the artistic world, it could even add to my notoriety. My greatest concern is how it would play in our family dynamics.”


=^-^=


Heather excused herself and went to change into one of the stockings. Once she was back; Darby complimented her, “You did well in showing discretion, and I expect they even feel better than they look which is very nice indeed.” She pointed out to Heather she managed to change with no wrinkles or clothing dysfunction.

Heather walked into the photo gallery and looked out the window, but was taken back to see a woman looking in. She and the person, with her, soon came into the business. Heath whispered to Darby, “Could you please take this?”

Darby whispered back, “But if they want to come in here you are a captive audience and will need to face them anyway.”

Heather gathered her composure and went to greet them. The other person was the mayor, who knew Heath quite well. Mayor Jan Evans introduced her friend, “This is Marie Dubois Christiansen. She and her husband are bringing their business to town and have bought the old Barkley place.”

Heath knew the place, and said, “It has been a while since I’ve been there. It is a very nice design, and the inside should make for a nice home?”

Marie spoke up, “That is true to a point, but the property is overgrown, and the house from the outside looks it. I was hoping after things are taken care of I wanted a nice picture of it taken. Jan here suggested Heath Anders is such a good and experienced photographer that I should come and see his work. If he is here that he could even suggest some shrubs and dwarf trees to accent the house. Is he in or soon to be back?”

Heather looked at Jan and realized she had recognized him. Should he try to continue the charade or come honest? “He said, “I’m sorry… This is Darby Anders and I’m Heath. I’m sorry, but I never have done this before. I’ll understand if you don’t want to have any business with me.”

Jan caught herself before she said anything, looking at her smartphone. “I see the resemblance, and I’m taken that you present yourself well. Let’s see if your work can speak for itself.”

Heather thanked her for the comments and showed them to the photo studio. There were larger photos along with various size pictures of other pictures of houses, yards, and landscapes in general. Heather dared to say, “There is one great tree on your property that I hope won’t come down. There were some beautiful benches with carvings in them and some smaller statues that were very pleasing but I haven’t seen them in years.”

Marie says, “It seems you know the place quite well and have some feelings for it, does that mean you agree it is a place worth restoring? I have found the benches you mentioned and some statues, but I don’t know who could restore them to be showpieces again?”

Heather looks to Darby and they both look to Mayor Janette; they both begin to speak, but Darby acquiesces to Heather. “There are several who are specialists at it when given the opportunity, Darren Tubbs is especially good with wood but would be good to ask about the statues as well.”

“Pardon, but I’d like to talk about being your photographer,” said Heather. Marie took hold of Heather’s hands, “Thanks Dear; I am sure you’re our photographer. I so enjoy visiting with you.”

Heather says, “With the use of drones we could give you additional views that would have previously been too costly.”

The visit would end after talking for another thirty minutes.

Marie asked, “Am I truly the first to catch you in public?” When Heather and Darby confirmed it was; she promised, “This will be our secret; I look forward to when you can embrace this part of you.”

Marie stepped forward and took hold of Heather’s hands, and with a kiss on the cheek said, “I hope we become social friends Darby and Heath.”

Darby who knew her way around Heath’s photo drawers; handed a twenty-year-old photo of the old Barkley place. “Here you might enjoy this?” The expression on Marie’s face was priceless.

Jan in saying, her goodbyes, “I can see it now, but I had no idea. You know, you’re not our first, but you are warmly welcome when you come out.”

=^-^=


Home that evening Aubrey had showed up after being called, and the three visited over wine and bread. Darby had been insistent that her husband changed back to being Heath after they got home.

Aubrey said, “It looks like your guardian angel is looking after you. You probably wished your angel pushed you to have these years earlier.” Her parents almost in unison agreed the time is as it should be.

Aubrey said to her mother, “I’m surprised you let him out to work dressed like that?”
It became known Darby had an early breakfast out with others. Aubrey became critical of her Father, “This could have backfired and become an ugly problem within our family, as well as your business.”

She quickly mellowed out and wanted to see what new Heather had gotten since she last saw them. She knew about the silk stockings. They had to think about what else was new.

Aubrey announced she and Kevin would be announcing new information at the Father’s Day gathering.
=^-^=
Happy for Aubrey, but worried that Heather might have another critic. He was afraid his feminine side might hurt Aubrey’s happiness in the future.

Aubrey was glad that her father had a good meeting with the Mayor and Marie DuBois. “I think people are having enough friends and associates giving us good experiences to become familiar with people in positive ways. I know one of Kevin’s sisters has opened their family to new ways of seeing people. Their dad had caused a rift in the family over Roberta’s lover.”

Darby laughs, “Like your father collecting fatty flesh after he’s worn a bra for a while.” Aubrey was tempted to ask to see them but was mindful of her father’s feelings.

Darby said, asked, “Are you happy dear of the acceptance you’re now receiving?”

Hurt comes to Heather’s face, “I’d trade all the years of your being ill and suffering, and not be accepted. My time serving in Afghanistan was a different hell. But seeing you in pain and suffering and not seeing an end; no, my caring might have impressed you. I’d rather not gain acceptance through that.”

Heather was unsuccessful as she tried not to cry; Darby and Aubrey stepped forward and embraced her. Darby, “Oh you sweet thing, you’re more caring than I knew.” Aubrey whispered, “We love you Dad, your love for Mom was endless. But now it’s okay for you to be you.” The women hugged her and that was accompanied by their tears.

Heath/Heather never separated the love for Darby, nor the hope of acceptance. He felt the acceptance, but not that of being embraced and loved.


=^-^=


Two days later the family was getting ready to celebrate Father’s Day. Heath used nail polish remover to remove his feminine side's traces. He was disgruntled but suppressed his feelings when Calvin called. “Dad, I’m calling to avoid any scene. I want to make sure this is a traditional Father’s Day with no signs of your so-called feminine side.”

“Calvin, it is just me Heath, but if you want you can bypass me and have a traditional Father’s Day with Carla and Rose,” mentioned Heath. “I love you and your family very much. I’ve been looking forward to seeing you.”

“See you tomorrow Dad,” Calvin.

Heath decided to have a prayer time instead of going to church. They had reservations for Chester Abbey Inn at 1:00 p.m., all the family was to meet there. Kevin came with Aubrey, much to the delight of the whole family. Kent and Ann, Calvin, Carla, Rose, Darby, and Heath made a group of nine. Kent and Ann would also have an announcement, but Ann’s physique gave part of that away. They would be expecting a child in just over four months.

The wine was served to everyone except young Rose who raised a glass of white grape juice. Darby stood to give a toast. “To two fathers and the potential soon for Kent; to Fathers!”

Kevin was nervous as he stood, “With the blessing of her parents, I would like to announce my engagement to Aubrey. Our sight is on next spring, a date yet to be chosen. To Aubrey, my bride-to-be.”

The dinner was enjoyable and the conversation around the table was warm and cordial; but with a hint of coolness. Everyone returned to Mom and Dad’s house. Cards, gifts, and well wishes were shared. Calvin finally rose with a glass of iced tea, “Dad, I probably should let things be, but with the compliments, I’ve been hearing about the other you; seeing your complexion and well-groomed nails. I dare you to change and seek to win me over as you have others.”

There was silence, Heath wasn’t sure if the request was genuine and remained seated. Little Rose heard her father and went to Grandpa, “Grampy would you play dress up with me?” She took hold of his hands and smiled in his face.

All Grandpa would say, “I love you very much Rose we’ll see.”

Calvin noticeably grew angry and told Rose to leave Grandpa alone. At three, Rose didn't understand, “Did I do something wrong?” Aubrey and Darby along with Carla quickly arose and assured her no. Carla turned to Calvin, “You hurt your daughter and she doesn’t understand she didn’t do anything wrong. We should be going.”

Kent quietly got up and talked to Calvin; whatever was said, didn’t initially go over well with Calvin. Aubrey was pushed away and Kevin stepped between her and Calvin. Rose went to Grandma crying. Once things calmed down and Calvin and family were leaving; it was noticed that Heath had retreated to his bedroom.


=^-^=


Darby half expected to see Heath weeping, instead he was enraged, “He couldn’t have left well enough alone. I didn’t expect much, but he set up his daughter and looked surprised that her feelings were hurt and she felt like she did something wrong. Where did I go wrong in raising him?”

Darby knew his thoughts were rhetorical and just embrace him...

To be continued…

up
60 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos