The Angry Mermaid 11 - - - Y Morforwyn Dicllon. 11

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

In which Drustan finds himself in the beginning of a war and Aiofe demonstrates more cunning and strategy.


Tha Angry Mermaid 11.

Or.

Y Morforwyn Dicllon 11

Mabina. The youngest daughter and Twin to
Drustan Her twin brother.
Grandpa Erin the twins grandfather.
Giana The twins grandmother
Caderyn The twins father.
Herenoie The twins wise and beautiful mother.
Morgaran The Twins oldest brother.
Aiofe The twins oldest sister. Famous for her beauty.
Tara The twins second oldest sister. Famous for her grace.
Feidlim Twins aunt (Caderyns’ beautiful sister.)
Mogantu Twins uncle (Married to Feidlim.) Chief of the Gangani tribe.
Brun. Twins 2nd cousin and the Acaman clans’ blacksmith.
Feorin. Twins second brother. Also training to be a blacksmith.
Rhun Feidlims’ son and Feorins’ favourite 1st Cousin. (Both red-heads.)
Arina Child of a Demetae fisherman, (rescued by Aiofe, Drustan and Mabina.)
Penderol Dumnonii Minor chief.
Udris Young Dumnonii warrior.
Dryslwyn High chief of the whole Celtic nation. Dwells in Brithony.
Bronlwyn Dryslwyn’s wife (and queen.)
Magab The moor who taught numbers.
Eric Saxon galley slave rescued from Corsair pirates.
Carl Another Saxon galley slave rescued by Drustan.
Torvel Celtic galley slave rescued from the same captured corsair ship
Arton. Turdetani Chieftain Holder of Gibral Rock.
Carinia Arton’s wife.
Isobel. Arton’s adopted daughter.
Appotel King of the Turdetani Tribe. (Southern Iberia.)
Bramana Queen. (Wife of Appotel)
Pilus King of the Capetani.
Shaleen Pilus’s queen and sister to Bramana.
Pedoro Lord Marshal of the Southern border region.
Lady Shulaar Lord Pedoro’s wife.
Taan. The scullery maid.
Isaar. Pedoro’s oldest son.
Ferdie Pedoro’s 2nd son
Sular Pedoro’s 3rd son
Gontala Pedoro’s youngest son.
Shenoa Pedoro’s only daughter.

As Lord Pedoro’s troops stormed into the castle Shenoa checked out her younger brother. He was still wailing about his shoulder wound so his sister gently peeled off the maid’s rough-spun top that Gontala had been wearing as his disguise and she studied the cut. She pulled a wry smile, yes he had been cut, but Shenoa had seen bigger cuts made to a breast of cooked chicken. Yes, her brother was bleeding but compared with Drustan’s wounds it was but a drip. Shenoa made him hold his maid’s top against the wound and assured him he was not going to die. She then joined Taan who was trying to stop the blood bleeding profusely from Drustan’s split scalp. Shenoa realised Drustan needed a doctor. In the heat of the battle she was not going to find one so she continued pinching the two flaps of scalp together while the scullery made checked the courtyard.

There were men still fighting everywhere but Lord Pedoro’s men now outnumbered the meagre garrison of the castle and things were rapidly going in Pedoro’s favour. Eventually the courtyard cleared and Taan dashed into the kitchen. She had a little knowledge of curative herbs and she knew the culinary ones that were known to help with wounds. The Cook Esther bore down on her angrily for she had heard nothing of the chaos reigning two floors above on the outside of the kitchen block.

“What are you stealing those herbs for you wicked girl?

“Dammit Esther! Can you not hear the battle above?”

“Don’t you dare swear at me girl!”

“I tell you the castle is relieved! Lord Pedoro, the Lord Marshal of the south has captured it!”

“You lie girl. It’s impossible to take this place!”

“I don’t. I need these herbs to save a warrior who bleeds as we argue!”

The cook moved to seize Taan but she was too fat and slow. The young, nimble scullery maid easily evaded her and dashed out of the door with the cook plodding angrily after her. It was not until she stepped up into the courtyard that she discovered the bodies scattered about. Truly there had been a short but very violent fight. She spotted Taan disappearing into the guard house and followed her to find the girl wondering what to do with the herbs. The cook immediately recognised Shenoa as Lord Pedoro’s beautiful daughter and quickly realised that something of great import had occurred. She gasped her astonishment.

“My lady what has happened here?”

“A fight Esther, and a bloody one at that! Isn’t it obvious?”

Esther gasped then saw Taan trying to press the herbs against Drustans scalp. She wagged her head and frowned.

“For the god’s sakes girl. You have to make a poultice. Are you stupid?”

Taan cursed and removed the compressed herbs from Drustan’s scalp and it promptly resumed bleeding. Shenoa cursed again.

“Dammit. Hold the two flaps together or he’ll bleed to bloody death!”

Esther had never heard the lady Shenoa curse before and she gasped. Obviously the wounded boy was somebody of importance for a lady no less, to show concern. She bundled Taan back to the kitchens to boil the herbs and make several hot poultices. She returned ten minutes later with Taan and the poultices to explain how to apply them.

Shenoa sagged with relief. Her hands were aching with the effort of holding the flaps of skin. Esther’s strong, capable cook’s hands quickly effected a proper dressing and she secured a bandage around the boy’s jaw to compress the dressing to the split scalp.

These herbs clean the wound as well as cause the blood to stiffen. Just watch my children.

After securing the dressings to both scalp and thigh Esther finally turned to Gontala whom she also recognised as Lord Pedoro’s son.

“Right my young lord. Let’s see this shoulder of yours.”

Gontala exposed the cut which had stopped bleeding and Esther smiled as she indulged the boy.

“Well lad. You’ll have a scar to excite the ladies. Let’s put this poultice on.”

She pressed the poultice against Gontala’s shoulder and it stung dreadfully. Worse even than the cut itself. The boy let out a wail and Esther scolded him.

“Stop whingeing, did you see that lad cry and his wounds are far worse.”

“Yes but he sleeps!” Gontala protested.

“And he might not wake boy. Pray for him, he’s lost a lot of blood!”

At this Gontala fell silent as he realised how insignificant his own wounds were.

At this Ferdie, Pedoro’s second son appeared in the doorway. He was counting the dead and wounded. When he saw Drustans pale shaded countenance he gasped.

“By the one God! Will he live?”

“Too soon to tell brother. Come back in the morning.” Shenoa replied.

“Oh my God! Him and our brother,” Ferdie Sighed.

“Our brother, huh! That’s but a flesh wound!” Shenoa smirked.

“Not him sister! Your older brother Sular. He got an arrow in the chest. They’re taking him into town even now to the physician.”

Shenoa’s face paled. Of her four brothers, she was closest to Sular for they were the closest in age. This battle had cost her dear. Three people close to her and two of them close to death. She wrung her hands fearfully and Taan tried to comfort her.

“Fear not my lady. This boy is made of strong stuff. If his wounds don’t get infected, he should survive. It’s sleep he needs now. He had food just before this battle for he stole some meat from the kitchen table.”

Both girls and Esther the cook looked closely again at Drustan’s head, Esther breathed a sigh of relief.

“I think his head’s stopped bleeding.”

“Praise God!” Shenoa and Taan chorused in unison.

“We’re not out of it yet my lady. Somebody must stitch his scalp.

“Will somebody stitch my wound?” Gontala pleaded.

Shenoa and Taan looked up with disgust at the eleven-year-old boy.

“Oh shut up boy!” Snapped the quick-tempered Taan. “ It’s but a bloody scratch!

Shenoa smiled. Amongst her family, Gontala, the youngest had always been somewhat indulged. She would never have been allowed to scold her younger brother like that. Gontala’s face was a picture. To have been scolded by a mere scullery maid was an affront to his noble dignity. Esther intervened before any more was said.

“We need somebody with sewing skills my lady or that wound will become an ugly scar.”

“It will be under his hair Esther. No—one will see it.”

“Nevertheless, the two flaps must be joined. A well sewn and properly closed wound lessens the risk of infection.”

Shenoa contemplated the idea. As a lady she had beautiful embroidery and sowing skills but was she up to this sort of needle-work. Esther sensed Shenoa’s mind ticking over. She suggested that Shenoa go to Queen Shaleen’s chambers and find some silk thread. Shenoa was nervous but recognised Esther’s good sense. Reluctantly she left Drustan’s side and entered the castle. Despite her scullery-maid rags, Pedoro’s soldiers recognised her beauty and immediately let her pass. She met her father in the meeting hall talking to his captains. He turned and smiled with relief to see his daughter.

“Safe I see my darling?”

“Yes father, where is King Pilus?”

“We’re still searching for him. There are hidden places all over this confounded castle. It seems the rock beneath us is a virtual honeycomb of cells and passages.”

“I’m sorry I have further bad news.”

“Go on. This gets worse.”

“The boy Drustan has a bad wound to the head. I need needle and thread to sew up his scalp. Where are the ladies’ chambers?”

“Through there and on your left. Will the boy live?”

“Esther the cook seems to think so.”

Pedoro’s face was a picture as he replied disbelievingly.

“The cook! The bloody cook! Has he not seen a doctor?”

“There is none daddy. The only doctor is apparently busy in the town with the other wounded including Sular I’ve heard.”

“Yes, I’m waiting news of him as well. Ferdie is going back to the town now to organise the citizenry and check on your brother. He’s looking for servants of the castle who were absent when the castle was taken. They might know where the king is likely to be hidden. All in all it’s a bit of a mess. We cannot even find where the royal family are imprisoned.”

“I know where they are father. “They were alive this morning when we, - you know;” she stopped short as her father motioned her to be quiet.

“Well done darling. Where are they?”

“In a deep dungeon deep in the rock.”

“My men have searched the dungeons as a dog sniffs for rabbits and found nothing.

“There must be a hidden cell with a hidden entrance or something. They are definitely alive and well. Drustan fed them only this morning. Look, I must stitch Drustan’s scalp then I’ll help with the search.”

“Good girl. Be quick.”

Shenoa skipped away to find needles and threads. There were plenty in Shaleen’s chambers and she returned to the postern gatehouse with a large camphor-wood sowing box. Esther opened it and smiled with satisfaction, especially when she found a couple of curved needles.

“We must use the silk threads and boil them.”

“Why boil them?”

“It softens the thread and they do not tear the suture holes.”

“But when they dry they will tighten and snap or tear the skin.”

“They will not dry girl. His blood and lymph keep the threads soft and moist.”

“Ah! I see. Gosh you know a lot about wounds and cuts.”

Just go down to the kitchen and find Taan. She’s boiling fresh, clean water from the well as we speak. And boil the needles, - oh and wash your hands she called after Shenoa who was already stepping through the gatehouse door. Shenoa stopped and looked back puzzled.

“My hands? Why do I wash my hands?”

“Just do it, and bring Taan back with you. Tell her to wash her hands and bring back some boiled linen for bandages. Bring the whole pot of boiling water and don’t scald yourselves!”

When Shenoa had gone, Gontala spoke to Esther.

“Why boil everything and why wash the hands?”

“I don’t know but I’ve seen it plenty of times with cuts and wounds in the kitchens. If they wash the wound and used boiled water and dressings, the cuts heal faster and they don’t turn septic so often. There must be a reason why, but I don’t know it.

Trust me, I’ve worked from scullery maid up to cook in this castle, maid and matron for over thirty years. I always make the girls wash the wound in clean, boiled, fresh water from the well. It seems to work, especially after the herbs are poulticed.”
Gontala fell silent as Esther checked on Drustan again. Then Shenoa and Taan arrived carrying the large pot of water on a pole between them.

“Did you wash your hands?”

“Yes mistress,” Smirked Shenoa as she did a mock courtesy to the older woman.

“This is no joke my lady. Washing seems to work. Might I suggest you get on with your craft, namely the stitching. Taan can watch and learn. My eyesight is not what it was.”

Suitably admonished, Shenoa set to and soon Drustan’s scalp looked hardly the worse for wear. The hair perfectly covered the wound as it would the ensuing scar. The thigh cut proved much trickier. The deep-cut flesh would not behave as a flap of cloth and Shenoa made a mess of it as she tried to make her stitches small and neat. In the end she gave up as the flesh tore
and she was compelled to stitch the wound up with ugly, sail-maker’s ‘homeward bounders’. Esther could see the problem but knew of no better solution. Most of the cuts she had dealt with were small and easily stitched together. Then it was Gontala’s turn and Taan was given an opportunity to practice.

“I want my sister to do it. She’s a good sewer.” Gontala protested.

“Stop whingeing boy. Don’t you want a scar to impress your friends.? A real scar properly earned in battle just like your hero Drustan?”

Gontala capitulated and braced himself for the needle. He squealed as Taan thrust it in with considerable pleasure.”

“Oh shut up you big baby. Here bite on this.”

She handed him a piece of wood and, if it didn’t help Gontala stand the pain, it certainly muffled his cries. Then Esther instructed Taan to secure the boy’s arm in a sling to keep the sutures still and let the wound heal.

When they were finished, Taan took Gontala to the main hall and presented the boy to his father.

“Your son my lord. A little battle scarred but alive and well.”

Pedoro stared stupidly at Gontala’s arm and frowned.

“God forbid, what happened at that postern gate?”

“We nearly lost it father, I had to fight.” Gontala replied. “So did Shenoa and Taan.”

“What!!” Pedoro almost shrieked as he turned to the older girl. “Is this true?”

“Yes my lord, every word. But don’t worry, Gontala fought and fought well. He helped to kill one of the soldiers and he’s got a nice scar to prove it.”

Pedoro slumped in his chair. For him, fighting the battle was never a problem, he could face swords and arrows, but how would he explain to his beloved Shulaar that her two youngest children had actually exchanged blows with full-grown men at arms.

‘Just wait until that stupid, reckless Gangani boy woke up!’ Pedoro told himself. ‘I’ll bloody give him ‘the children would be safe’ as the boy had reassured Shulaar.’

Meanwhile, in the gatehouse Shenoa knew what she had to do next. If anybody knew the secrets of the dungeons it would have to be either Queen Shaleen or other members of the royal family. She made her excuses to Esther and slipped away under the pretence of a lavatorial need. In the dark of the deep dungeon passage, she clambered up the rock to the hidden cleft that led into the secret, tunnel fissure. As she slithered along the passage she cut her knees and belly as well as banging her head in her haste to reach the half-way chamber. On reaching it she immediately called down the ‘drain hole’.

“Your majesty, it is Shenoa, Lord Pedoro’s daughter. The castle is recovered we have it.”

A wave of relief swept around the cell at this announcement and Shaleen called back.

“So get us out of here. What keeps you.”

Shenoa smiled to herself as she admitted everybody’s ignorance.

“My lady, we none of us know where the entrance to your cell is.”

It was the first time any of her children had heard Queen Shaleen curse.

“God Damn it! Of course!”

Only the keepers of the castle would know that and any prisoner incarcerated in the pitch black, rock holes. She replied urgently.

“The access is down the well! The large iron cage that appears to be a torture device over the blacksmith’s forge is actually lowered down the well and prisoners are taken down into the deepest dungeons. You will understand when you see it.”

“Thank you Majesty.”

Without further words or delay, Shenoa squirmed back to the castle cutting her breasts again on the sharp rocks in the process. She immediately burst in on her father’s council of war.

Shocked faces gaped at the mud-streaked, almost bare-breasted, bloodied girl still in a scullery-maid’s rags.

“Daddy. I have it. The location of the dungeons.”

For a moment Pedoro could hardly believe the filthy, wretched child was his own beautiful daughter until he recognised her voice. He recovered quickly at his daughter’s declaration and followed her bare feet as they splattered back down to the dungeons. There they found two of Pedoro’s soldiers still tapping every inch of rock searching hopelessly for some secret door or panel. Shenoa squealed at them as her father and the captains joined her in the dungeon chamber.

“The access is down the well! There, that cage, it is rove over that big pulley wheel and lowered down the well. Apparently the access is down the well in the sides of the walls!”

The men swiftly sorted the arrangement and Pedoro himself was the first to descend. He called up as he found the doorway cunningly recessed into the well wall. It was invisible from the top of the well, for it was set back deep in the stygian blackness.

“My God men, this is a cunning trick! Send another man down to me.” He called up as he stepped into the doorway and discovered the alleyway carved out of solid rock behind it.

The cage shot to the surface reflecting everybody’s urgency and in moments a soldier plus Shenoa still in her rags appeared at Pedoro’s side.

“My God child. There was no need for you to come. God alone knows what we’ll find.”

“I’ve seen enough father, death and blood aplenty. I will see the king and his family safe.”

“Very well. Look here is the first door.”

The commotion in the alleyway alerted the occupant of the cramped, single cell and Pedoro recognised King Pilus’s voice.

“Who’s there?”

“Lord Pedoro your majesty. We have retaken the castle. Who else is with you?”

“Nobody but let me out. There are several other cells down here. My wife and children are in one of them.”

The stone slab proved heavy but Pedoro and his man at arms were strong enough to move it after removing the iron bars that locked it down. Shenoa fidgeted impatiently as she waited for her second cousin the king to appear. She flung herself at her lord and master when he finally clambered out blinking owlishly in the feeble candle light.

“My God Pedoro, is this your daughter Shenoa?”

“Yes my liege. I’ll explain the clothes later.”

“Indeed, well my thanks to you sir, and your men, - and your daughter! Come let us see who else is down here.”

“Queen Shaleen and all the children are here sir.” Shenoa squealed excitedly.

“And how would you know that child?”

Shenoa fell silent. She wasn’t sure about revealing the secret of the fissure in the rock and the middle chamber or the cave hidden up the cliff. Then she realised she was being stupid. The king would have to know but she decided to let Drustan have the pleasure of springing that surprise on King Pilus, ‘that is provided Drustan lived’.

Her reticence was missed in the excitement as King Pilus explained the secret of the next cell. The slab was much bigger but Pilus located a rope and double tackle in a hidden recess. The man at arms sat on Pedoro’s massive shoulders and swiftly attached the double block to the lug embedded in the ceiling. All the men heaved in unison and within moments the heavy slab was grinding sideways as the tackle took the weight and the men pushed at it. King Pilus’s family emerged blinking and grateful as Queen Shaleen fell into her husband’s arms. The she noticed the scruffy, mud-stained, bleeding, beggar girl.

“Am I to believe this is your daughter Lord Pedoro?”

“Yes Ma-am.”

Queen Shaleen smiled indulgently as she teased the huge man.

“Is that the best you can provide for her? Beggar’s rags!”

“We’ll talk of this later ma-am.” He smiled as he turned to King Pilus.

“My Lord, the other cells please. There other important prisoners down here.”

“Who.” King Pilus wondered.

“Try King Appotel and his whole family not to mention three very important girls!”

King Pilus’s jaw sagged with shock.

“My God! This gets worse and worse. How were they captured?”

“Later my lord. Your strength here please.”

The king finally realised that his safety was not the only issue at stake. He joined Pedoro, Maguel and the Soldier in removing the final and heaviest slab. Eventually King Appotel, his wife Bramana and seven girls emerged. Pedoro recognised the four princesses and quickly remembered that the three other girls were Drustan’s sisters. After introductions everybody was hoisted to the surface were profuse apologies were made by Pilus for the treatment of his visitors. The sisters Queen Bramana and Queen Shaleen were simply relieved that their children were all safe. Aiofe and Mabina immediately asked about their own brother.

Pedoro turned to Shenoa and asked her to explain. As the girl related the events at the postern gate both sisters had Shenoa show them to the postern gate house while the younger Arina accompanied the queens and their daughters to the royal apartments.
Aiofe and Mabina found Esther the cook carefully wiping their brother’s brow as Taan arrived with yet another pot of boiled well water and more fresh clean linen bags to use as bandages and wipes.

Drustan still lay unconscious and looked frighteningly pale. Aiofe and Mabina exchanged fearful, angry looks for it seemed their brother had once again shown a stupid recklessness and incurred yet more wounds. Aiofe was beginning to suspect that her younger brother was somehow suicidal and joined with battle secretly hoping to get killed. Tears welled up to the sisters eyes as they checked their sibling out.

“He’s cold.” Mabina observed. “Isn’t there a decent warm room for him? This place is like a prison cell! Why is there no fire here?”

“Fuel is too scarce;” Esther replied. “I suppose we could take him down to the kitchen. There’s a cooking fire down there.”

Without more ado, Shenoa called some of her father’s soldiers to assist and a stretcher was fashioned out of shields and spears.

Drustan was ‘portaged’ down to the kitchen and laid down by the cooking fire. It was actually the only fire in the castle for fuel had become scarce during the siege. Taan gathered some large sacks and a crude bed was fashioned. As Drustan lay still and grey his sisters could do little more. Only time could tell the outcome now.

By now the town’s citizenry were arriving at the gates and the castle’s needs were slowly being addressed. Cartloads of timber arrived for the fires and much of it found its way down to the kitchens. As fresh food arrived Esther prepared the first decent meal since the third day of the siege. Mabina and Aiofe assisted with preparing the food and Esther looked at them curiously.

“You work well with food for noble ladies.”

Aiofe exchanged a smile with her sister as Mabina explained.

“We are not nobility Esther. Our family were boat builders back home on the Britannic Isles. All we womenfolk learned to cook from an early age for we travelled with our men-folk to many strange and far-away places. On the voyages, we women usually cooked."

They chatted at length about their travels and Esther wagged her head.

“But to travel so is dangerous, what of pirates and suchlike?”

“Our lands were peaceful until the Romans left, then the Norsemen started to appear on our seas and the Saxons in our fields.
Ships still have to be delivered and trade conducted. Our family had to build and trade ships for gold and corn and cloth. Drustan’s ideas were our first chance at becoming wealthy. His ship, The Angry Mermaid, proved his ideas worked and we were set to sell many such vessels. Then the Norse butchers came and murdered our people. We escaped in Drustan’s boat and we will never be able to return to our lands. In truth there’s nothing to return to.”

Esther felt saddened. The three Gangani visitors were like gypsies, travellers with no place to call home. She motioned to Taan to spoon out some large bowls of food from the huge copper that was now boiling a delicious stew to serve as an emergency meal for the king’s table.

“And make sure there is plenty of meat in it.”

Taan ladled out the delicious smelling food and the Gangani girls fell on it like ravenous wolves. Aiofe and Mabina were desperately hungry and all notions of gentility were discarded as they hungrily devoured the food. They were into their third bowls when Shenoa returned still garbed in her kitchen-maid’s rags. Taan and Esther smiled for Shenoa had made some ‘adjustments’ and even yet managed to look attractive in the crudest of rough sacking.

“Have you not yet changed my lady?” The cook wondered.

“Too busy Esther. There is talk of an attack from the west. Our greedy cousin Portega was always a covetous rat. It was he that organised the coup. He will get a shock now though. My father’s early action has anticipated his sneak attack. We will meet him on the plains of Talevar. He has a large army but already Appotel’s forces are marching north to reinforce our army. Pedoro’s oldest son Isaar sent word to Appotel’s nobles and they despatched immediately. Already they are nearly arrived in my father’s town.

Both Appotel and Pilus are this moment preparing to gather forces. We also expect King Dorian to send some troops from the north as well. He has an old score to settle with Portega.”

“So there’s to be more fighting.” Aiofe sighed, “I’ll never get to Carthage.”

“Take courage sister.” Mabina advised. “At least our crazy brother will be out of this battle. His wounds will ensure that.”

“Aye,” Esther added, “he’ll be a week at least just replacing lost blood and those wounds are not just scratches either.”
Aiofe and Mabina exchanged knowing looks. They knew their crazy brother to be better than that when it came to recovering from injury. Then Shenoa added further doubts.

“It will be at least two weeks before we can do battle. Our forces have to be mustered and the thief has to consolidate his forces. His baggage train is stretched out half way to the Western Sea. He has been moving swiftly and secretly but now he’ll know his plot has been discovered. He’ll have to reinforce the light shock forces he had gathered.”

Aiofe sighed as she studied the comatose shadow by the fire.

“So if this lunatic brother of ours recovers we could yet hear of another reckless endeavour.”

Shenoa bent down to study the boy who had saved the castle.

“Don’t censure him so. He saved our lives and opened the Postern gate. Besides’ he’s still wounded and he’s done more than his share of fighting. Just tell him he can’t go, he’s too ill.”

Aiofe exchanged another world weary smile with Mabina. ‘Nobody could tell their headstrong brother anything, and that even included kings!’ Drustan was a law unto himself now that his father and grandfather were presumed dead. The boy’s philosophy seemed to be that if there was nobody left to care for him then he was answerable to nobody; and that included his sisters. With all the bravado and machismo of a cynical, orphaned, fourteen-year-old boy, Drustan felt responsible for his sisters but nobody was responsible for his worthless hide.’

“You try telling him,” Aiofe sighed as Mabina nodded agreement. If he wakes, he’ll be raring to fight again. He’s a suicidal mad thing.”

“And yet look at him now; knocking on death’s bloody door!” Mabina snapped as her fears for Drustan’s recovery gnawed away at her confidence and she turned again to the cook for reassurance. “Will he recover Esther?”

Esther shrugged apologetically. They could only wait and see.

Shenoa could see that little good was being done by Drustan’s worried sisters. The boy was lying comfortable and warm. The wounds were cleaned and he slept. She motioned towards the door and invited the girls to accompany her to the great hall where the kings were dining.

“There’s nothing more to be done here. The boy’s in good hands. Besides, I need to change and I’m sure you do too. I saw your baggage being recovered from the pillage. Maybe I can borrow one of your gowns, I Came here with nothing but what I wear. I’ll explain later.”

Aiofe turned to Esther who smiled and nodded.

“You go girls. He’ll be okay here with Taan to mind him.”

The sisters accompanied Shenoa to the great hall where the royal families were recovering from their imprisonment.

Taan now watched over the wounded boy and wondered that a boy so brave and skilled could yet look so soft and maidenly as he slept innocently amidst the sacking. She couldn’t resist just peeking under the cover and wondering at the soft girlish mounds adorning his chest. This was truly a strange boy.

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Angry Mermaid 11 - - - Y Morforwyn Dicllon. 11

Drustan will be nothing but a big scar by the end of the story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

another great chapter

well this is another fine chapter to this tale and i appreciate that you roll them out so fast, i couldnt handle wondering for weeks at a time
thanks

i think i think too much