At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 72

Printer-friendly version

At last ‘A life’

By Julie D Cole
Chapter 72 Private moments

‘A Wax? …..no way. A bikini wax….forget it. I can’t possibly expose myself anyway, you know I can’t.’

‘Oh Chrissy you are chicken. Come on be brave. These girls see much more than you think. They see every type of person you can imagine and women have lots of different sizes of labia. We are no different to men. We come in all shapes and sizes.’

‘Yes but mine is not the same. My labia extends a bit.’

‘Come on sis it’s not so big to cause any real embarrassment. We just have to say you’re under treatment if they say anything. They won’t do more than make some polite references. If they do then just say you have a slight intersex problem.’

‘Julie, as wonderful as these experiences are I just feel this is one step too far.’

‘Well Sis I think you should know the good and the bad sides. It’s not all easy to be beautiful and attractive. Anyway I want to have it done since I’m thinking to take a week’s vacation with Gary in Spain and then I can wear my bikinis and feel sexy.’

‘OK if that’s your real reason I’ll come with you but I might just let her trim me a bit. At least I can try to keep myself hidden as much as possible.’

‘Come let’s do it then.’

‘Does the waxing hurt.’

‘No more than taking off a Band-Aid or removing the tape you’ve been using’

‘Yes that’s what worries me.’

So we then went back to the salon and this time another girl welcomed us who looked after waxing and the spray tanning.

Julie explained that we wanted to be exfoliated in preparation for the following days spray tan but we also both wanted to be trimmed. Then she asked if she could have the bikini wax but I just needed a shave.

She looked at me and said. ‘It doesn’t hurt and it lasts longer.’

‘I can’t. I just can’t. At least not yet. Maybe next time once I’ve had more experience.’

‘Well I can tell you most customers come back and they say it really turns their men on and it’s worth all the discomfort.’

‘But it’s coming to my time of the month and I wouldn’t want an accident.’

‘Oh in that case I understand.’

Julie hit my arm and laughed. ‘Where did you get excuse from you little madam.’

‘I don’t know but I felt at least she might take more care and keep her distance.’

We stripped and were given towels and dressing gowns and then Amy the girl who took on the tasks took us to a room where the exfoliation was done.

It was a bit early since this room was below ground level, almost as if it was a dungeon. The hotel was a former stately home but maybe this was a wine or meat cellar rather than a dungeon..

We lay side by side on two beds and Amy started with Julie and then treated me. Next we showered and then returned to the beds this time laying on our backs.

‘See that wasn’t so bad was it. She never looked too closely and she didn’t embarrass you.’

‘No but I didn’t like it. I was nervous in case it moved.’

‘Ha Ha it moves does it?’

‘No but it’s not dead you know.’

‘Oh in that case Sally had better take care then.’

‘Ohhhh Julie you are awful. You know what I mean.’

Well within a few minutes my ohhhh was nothing to the OHHHHH from Julie as Amy waxed her.

So now my turn to laugh.
She had tears in her eyes but she was really brave. I cringed and was amazed at what I was witnessing. It looked like torture.

Julie was laughing about it afterwards in the changing room and showed no embarrassment and she was proud to show me the result.

On the other hand I’d just had a trim and to be honest it wasn’t a big deal and quite the most expensive haircut I’d ever had.

Where do women find the money for these beauty treatments?

So that was it. Phase 1 complete for today so off to prepare ourselves.

As we passed through the large reception area I caught sight of mum and dad and Julie saw them at exactly the same moment. They were standing at the desk holding hands talking to the receptionist. It was a scene that I will never forget as long as I live.

At last mum and dad together again and I couldn’t ever recall them holding hands before.

They turned as if they sensed us looking at them and mum smiled with an approving look whilst dad just calmly coughed a little bit and then stepped forward to hug us both. Mum joined in. His eyes were full of tears as his emotion was released.

I felt the same way too since I couldn’t remember the last time we had a team hug like this before and the nicest thing of all was that I didn’t need to worry about letting tears flow.

Julie was the one to break first recognizing that we were ‘centre stage’ and she said should we sit down and move away from the front desk area.

Dad made a special fuss of me and looked me up and down shaking his head in disbelief. ‘Chris you just look so wonderful. I can’t believe my eyes. Have you both had a good time?’

We settled into the sofas next to a large fireplace that had logs burning even though the weather was quite mild. The crackle of the flames and the smell of the wood gave a nice welcoming feeling to guests and I could imagine what it must have been like to return from a morning walk as the daughter of the owner of such a large house.

Mum and dad said they had talked for 2 hours non- stop and after they met they had afternoon tea together followed by a walk around the gardens. Mum looked 10 years younger than earlier in the day and was wearing trousers that was very rare. Maybe it was her smile that made her appear younger.

Then dad asked how I was doing and if I was getting on OK in my new job. He asked about Kate and told me that he’d enjoyed meeting us both and thanked me for arranging things with mum. She was holding his hand again and I noticed that she’d put on her wedding ring that had been in her jewelry case for as long as I could remember.

He said he’d confirmed a quiet table for dinner and insisted that we meet for drinks and if mum didn’t mind he’d like to order some champagne to celebrate the family coming back together. Julie squeezed up close to him and gave him a hug.

They were always very special together and I’d often wanted to receive the same attention. Now I wasn’t sure if the situation would be even worse since I felt dad might be embarrassed about me.

Mum obviously noticed and moved to my side and put her arm around my waist.

She whispered ‘I think your hair looks really nice. It really suits you.’

‘Thanks mum I think we were so lucky to find this place and to have time to relax and choose a style together.

Julie was very kind and the two girls who looked after us were very funny. It has been great so far and we’re having a spray tan tomorrow.’

Mum shook her head in disbelief. ‘Chris who would have thought that we could all be together like this when we look back 3 weeks? I think you have grown up and I’m so proud of you. How do you feel’

‘Thanks mum. It is still like a dream and I keep pinching myself.’

‘Are you happy?’

‘Yes I think so but I’ve realized that it’s like being trapped between floors on a lift’
‘What do you mean?’

‘Well I’m half way to where I want to be but I feel stuck and a little bit out of place as if I have to exit on the ladies floor and I might not be accepted. I have been feeling that the safest option might be to turn back.’

'But you are so natural as a woman.’

‘Mum when I was in the waxing room with Julie I was uncomfortable. It was like I was an intruder even though I was made very welcome.’

‘But most women will feel like that when they enter those surroundings for the first time.’

‘Well maybe but I am still not so sure.’

Then dad intervened. ‘look Chris I just want you to know that I’ve never seen you look so nice in all my life and that what you have done is very brave. I think this was meant to be and I also think that you are the sweetest daughter a man could ever wish to have, your sister included. You are truly a daughter that your mum would have been very proud of.’

I burst into tears and headed for the bathroom as fast as I could.

I entered the first cubicle and closed and locked the door. Julie was only seconds behind me and tried to open it.

‘Chris, are you OK. Please Chris don’t be upset. This is our chance to be together as a family. Our first chance to be sisters with mum and dad together and I love you so much.’

I couldn’t speak and the tears were none stop as I thought of the sadness surrounding my real mums tragic end to her life and how I’d never met her and never had chance to know her. Why is life so cruel and why did my family have to go through this pain.

Why had Gran been so upset all her life that made her so unhappy that we had no connection? Why didn’t Kate’s dad stay faithful to my real mum?

Then I thought of dad and how he’d stood by us all and how kind and loyal mum had been and the kindness she always showed.

‘Julie please leave me for a few moments. I just need some time.’

‘Come on sis, the world is waiting for you and your family is waiting for you. Let’s go get ready and show mum and dad a good time and how great it is to have the best looking two daughters on the planet.’

‘OK…but you are the best and without you I couldn’t do all this.’

It took at least 5 minutes to dry my eyes and tidy my make-up and mum arrived to check on us. She didn’t stay when she saw us hugging and went back to sit with dad.

When we went back to the sofas some hot tea had arrived together with my favorite ginger biscuits. Dad had remembered. He stood up and held me then he did the strangest thing and kissed me on both cheeks and then on the lips.

‘Thanks dad, I love you.’

‘Come on let’s have some tea and I’ll tell you all what I was doing in York.’

To be continued……..

up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great chapter, hope Sally's

Great chapter, hope Sally's stoll okay, looking forward to seeing how thing go from here.

Thanks for sharing

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

At Last ‘A Life’ ~ Chapter 72

Meeting her parents sure was unexpected.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thanks,Julie,

ALISON

'a great story ,very well done with lots of warmth and feeling,especially with Dad.
I can't see anything unexpected after Julie had been planning this weekend for her
self,Chrissie and her Mum and Dad for the last three chapters and it has turned into
the great family weekend that Julie and Chrissie wanted.

ALISON

So far so good

Julesand a chance for emotions to be released at last.
Thanks for each note of encouragement.

Jules

Oh, Alison, dear?

Andrea Lena's picture

...I've gone and left my box of facial tissues at home. Would you be a dear and lend me a case until the next chapter? There's just something so special about being ourselves with our sisters, isn't there. Just like these two dear ones; too much and just enough of a wonderful reminder as our sadness gives way to remembered joy and love, aye? Thank you, Jule for such a precious family who have allowed you to write for them. You have done a superb job.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I don't know why I am

in such a hurry for her to accept herself, it took me over 50 years. Of course I didn't have the support she has. I am glad your style has evolved and the dialog is seperate from the narration. You are really growing as an author.

I suppose that it's

Jules
because of encouragement like this and some advice along the way. Thanks I think the practice and the development of the characters has helped me a lot. I know that my story isn't everyones cup of tea and but I guess I have loved to write it and to have some regular interchanges with new friends.
I'm glad you got there in the end.

Jules

The family reunion is going better than I expected...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Chrissie's emotional release is to be expected and is very natural.
I'd be crying too if I ever found this kind of acceptance.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!