Anchored - Part 11 "Vital Statistics"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Eleven

 

"Vital Statistics"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Monday 21st September (Continued)
 

Tammy left the Doctor's surgery and drove to the UHI campus. The University of the Highlands and Islands is a multi-site operation covering a huge geographical area although it also specialised in distance learning.

Tammy headed for the administration building and followed the signs for Registration. The letter from UHI had been simple, she should go along one day this wek with proof of identity, proof of Scottish residence and her exam result slips.

"Good morning Miss Smart, I see you completed the online registration?"

"Yes, but there was a query about my results?"

"Firstly, you stated you are resident in Thurso but you took English A levels?"

"I was initially leaving Thurso and planning to live in London, possibly taking a gap year. It made sense to do A levels if I was going to be in England."

"I see, what changed?"

"My father moved up here and we bought a house next to the McPherson estate. We've lived there since the new year."

"I see, now you went to St Andrews, but it's only now taking girls?"

"I was the first, it's because of my experience that the female boarding house has been built and the sixth form has gone co-educational. Is there a problem?"

"Not at all, we're just concerned that some English are trying to get places at UHI because we don't change fees for Scottish residents."

"I can assure you I'm resident, in fact I've anchored myself to the Highlands; I'm working part-time for Caithness Marine and I own property in town."

"Well, thank you Miss Smart. Do you have any disabilities?"

"None that I'm aware of."

"It's a mandatory question, because we have to supply stats on everything! By the way, being English wouldn't qualify as disabled however much the local politicians might suggest! Good, here's your welcome pack and student card, please sign for it. There's a charge if you lose the card and you wouldn't be able to access any on-site facilities until a replacement is issued."

"I understand, anything else?"

"No, that's all, welcome to UHI."

Tammy's next stop was the Students' Union office where she signed up. This entitled her to attend social events plus discounts on a multitude of products, shops and services, most of which were not available in Thurso. The main thinking behind joining the SU was, other than it being normal for students, was that Tammy would be seen as normal amongst her fellow students. She'd created a new email address just for her SU membership as she had a feeling the spam count would be fairly high.

"Hi Tammy."

"Tanya! I didn't know you were going to be here today?"

"Joan suggested it, Mondays seem to quieten down around lunchtime after a mad start."

"Okay, sorry I wasn't good company on Saturday. I'd been travelling since the previous lunchtime and my phone had died. Thanks for taking me home too."

"You surprised us with that uniform."

"Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever wear it again."

"I don't know if anything will fit me soon."

"Come on Tanya, it's not like you're showing?"

"No, but my boobs have gone up a size already."

"Maybe John put your bras in the washing machine on too high a temperature?"

"Oh no, he knows how to wash them."

Tammy decided to change the subject, a little. "What do John's parents think about the baby?"

"His mum's gone downhill, she's having trouble recognising John on the phone and I have to explain who I am every time. His father was rather surprised and questioned John, I suspect he would have asked me if I wanted to keep it, if he dared." Tanya's eyes welled up, Tammy reached out and gave her a hug.

"You do want the baby?"

"Yes, absolutely, it came out of the blue but I'm ready."

"Then you'll handle any doubters just fine. One word of advice?"

"What?"

"Don't ram maternity law down people's throats. You're not the first student to be pregnant, all you need to do is inform them. Also, what about the night-time cover at the school?"

"I will be able to do that virtually right up to the birth, it's not far to walk."

"Okay, I'll remind you of that when you complain of swollen ankles and needing to be within ten feet of a loo all the time."

"Hey, are you the expert now?"

"No, but I did some research."

"At least you won't go through it, oh, sorry Tammy, I didn't mean it like that!"

Tammy didn't answer, but her eyes were also wet.

"Come on, Tanya, lets get a coffee?"

"No, I need to get back. You're up at the school on Thursday, aren't you?"

"Yes, but I don't know what it's about. Has John been asked to be there?"

"There won't be any ambassador duties for a while, I think you're meeting some of the lower sixth."

"I'll see you there?"

"Can you be there for breakfast? There may be some early meetings."

"Sure."

They went their separate ways. Tammy needed to top her cash up and fancied doing a little shopping, but first lunch. On her way to the hotel she put her head into the salon, it was almost deserted.

"Hi Tammy, I guess you heard the news?"

"Yes, in fact I've just seen Tanya. She's asked me to be Godmother."

"I did wonder who she would ask, but you were my first choice."

"Thanks. Could you fit me in this afternoon?"

"Sure, there's an opening at two. Did you want to see Joanne too?"

"Please."

"I'll put you with her first then, at half past one, then I'll do you at two."

"Thanks."

It was just midday when Tammy reached the hotel, almost walking through the entrance at the same time as Sandy Franklin. They quickly decided to take a table between them, both ordered an omelette with side salad.

"I could have done with your help for the last two rehearsals."

"I'm sorry, but I was sent on a course with virtually no warning. I arrived in town on Saturday."

"I saw you, but you looked awful."

"I felt awful."

"What was it with the camouflage outfit?"

"After I'd ruined three pair of leggings they issued me with the fatigues, almost a full uniform."

"It wasn't the Girl Guides then?"

"No, the Army."

"What on earth were you doing there?"

"Training, very intensive training. I can't talk about specifics though."

"I understand you were at the McPherson house when everyone was taken hostage?"

"Yes, I was at home when it started and found out what was happening when I got back there. The day before we'd found out that Cathy's husband was dead, murdered, so it was already a difficult time before Saturday evening."

"Lori and Jeri seem to think you were involved in setting them free?"

"I summonsed the Police, so I suppose I did help."

"Anyway, the band have been rehearsing at the school, they're really good."

"That's excellent, what about the soloists?"

"They're harder as they've never had formal coaching. Next week I need to work with the soloists on their own, can you coach the choruses?"

"I'll try, I hadn't realised how much hard work is involved!"

"I think Iain had, which is one reason why he stood down!"

"What would be the other?"

"The major enquiry he's been running, plus he thinks he has one more chance at promotion."

"So he cuts back on extra-mural activities?"

"Exactly. He really did enjoy it, did you know that he was responsible for the youth theatre starting?"

"No, I just assumed it had been running all along."

"When you joined last autumn, that was only the second year and we were struggling to keep enough people to put on the more ambitious plays, or musicals."

"I thought there were enough?"

"Yes, but no room for understudies, what if one of the actors had fallen ill on the opening night, or if Tanya had been unable to carry on after she was attacked?"

"We had no-one spare, the shows wouldn't have happened?"

"Quite, but it was the success of West Side Story and then the excellent production of Macbeth that has made the theatre attractive. We've filled the house regularly, attracted good press, new grant money has enabled the building works to be done and we have enough people in the company to consider understudies."

"I'm just glad to be a part of it."

"No dear, Tammy, you're much more than that."

Frances brought their lunches over, interrupting the conversation. Tammy was feeling quite overwhelmed so was happy to concentrate on the food for a while.

Sandy had to go back to the library by one so Tammy sat on her own but became uncomfortable with the number of males asking if the empty seat was free. She sought sanctuary in the ladies, although it was really a necessity, before walking back into the lounge a few minutes later. One of the males was now sat at the table and smiled as Tammy approached. She ignored him and headed straight for the exit.

"You're early."

"I can come back, Joanne?"

"No, I've finished my lunch so let's get going."

Tammy stripped down, and paused before dropping her knickers. "The works please Joanne, I've got clearance."

"Fine with me, get up there! I'd only just turned the wax pot back on when you arrived so it'll be a minute before I can start."

"Okay."

"I heard you looked like a squaddie when you turned up on Saturday."

"I trashed some of my clothes so they gave me a couple of sets of khaki. I think the Defence budget can cope, but their fashion sense is near zero!"

"It might be useful next time there's a fancy dress?"

"That's an idea, Ouch!"

"Several months growth there, it gets easier from now."

"I hate you!"

"You and everyone else, Tammy!"

"Grrr."

"So, how was Daniel?"

"How do you know?"

"I think your mum was in the chair talking to Sandy whilst Debbie was close by."

"Damn."

"So, how was Daniel?"

"You do realise I have no comparison, no yardstick."

"Yes."

"It was just different, strange sensations and it burned as I hadn't used any lube."

"Who do you have your eye on?"

"No-one, and I really don't know if I want a relationship here."

"Because of your history?"

"Yes."

"I hate to say it, young lady, but very few folk think of you as anything other than who you are now. I'd challenge them to drop their drawers to prove they're female if they ever try that on you!"

"It's an idea."

"What's still astounding is how quick you got yourself sorted out, like over a year quicker than anyone's best guess."

"I just went along with the medical opinion, I was amazed when I was offered the surgery, so I think I was very lucky."

"Right place, right time?"

"Yes."

"Right, can you roll onto your tummy please."

Joanne finished Tammy and had to wake her in the end, she'd dozed off.

"I best get out there." Tammy pointed at the door into the salon.

"At least try putting some knickers on."

Tammy left the salon at three and headed to the bank where she used the lobby cash machine. Then she wandered across to Sarah's Boutique although she found herself making coffee for the pair.

"I was hoping I would see you."

"Okay, Sarah, but all you had to do was call."

"I knew you've only just got back and you've been busy so I didn't want to call."

"I'm here now, what is it?"

"Could you look after the shop tomorrow?"

"Sure, do you need to pop out?"

"I have an appointment in Inverness and I could be there all day."

"Oh, at the Raigmore?"

Sarah nodded. "Yes, and I might need to go in for surgery sometime in the future."

"Just ask."

"You've got your university course, and your other work."

"But I owe so much to you, of course I'll help."

"Thanks. There's a spare set of shop keys next to the kettle, take them."

"I already have a set!"

"Not for everything, your set only covers the external doors and not the new alarm or the small safe."

"Okay, what's the problem?"

"I've been getting severe cramping and heavy bleeding. It's difficult for me to take time off to see the doctors so it's got quite urgent."

"What's the plan?"

"Probably a hysterectomy, but that could put me out of action for a month or two."

"That's pretty drastic?"

"Tammy, I'm forty three and I don't intend to have any more children, Emily is now twenty one. The menopause is due to hit but it could be another five or even ten years and I can't put up with the pain much longer. Plus the last scan showed growths they called fibroids."

"Okay, just let me know when you need time off."

"Thanks Tammy. I know Lori can help but she'll be at school all during the week."

"It's alright, Sarah, I can cope. I've looked after the shop before."

"But that was for half a day. I hope you don't think this is selfish but I don't want to close as it takes ages to build up the business but days to destroy it."

"No Sarah, you did so much for me that I just want to give some back."

Unfortunately a customer arrived, Sarah excused herself to make a phone call so Tammy was left in the store.

The customer was about the same height as Tammy, dressed in trousers and a hoodie but looked androgynous. Tammy couldn't be certain if they were male or female, but they were plainly frightened. They were carrying a sports branded backpack.

"Can I help you?"

The customer turned to head out of the store.

Tammy continued, "I won't bite, I was frightened the first time I came in here as well! There's no other customers, would you like to browse, try anything on or just talk?"

The customer stopped, looked outside seemingly for any inbound customers, then turned back. Tammy had made her way from behind the counter and was now stood in the centre of the store.

"I'm Tammy, what's your name?"

"Ellie."

"Hello Ellie, now what are you looking for?"

"Hmmm, nothing, I best be going."

The accent was 'Estuary English' so could be from almost anywhere in the South-East of England, but Tammy still wasn't sure if the customer was a boy or a girl. They were however in a women's fashion store, so Tammy took a guess.

"Do you know your sizes?"

"No, not really."

"Let me get my measure, can you go over to the changing room and remove your top, I'll be over in a second."

"I'm not sure."

"Once we know your sizes we can look at what might suit you, you don't need to buy anything."

"Okay."

"How old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"Fine, it's just I can't measure you if you're under sixteen."

"Oh."

"So you really are sixteen?"

"Yesterday."

"Right, Ellie, I'll be over in a minute."

Tammy first went to the storeroom to find Sarah, a wrong word right now could easily send the girl out of the store. With Sarah duly advised Tammy grabbed a measure from under the counter.

Under the hoodie was a short sleeved school shirt. She was wearing a white t-shirt and two breasts were obvious, as was the lack of a bra.

"Now Ellie, could you take off your shirt so I can measure your bust. It's best if you remove your t-shirt as well but I won't ask you to do that and I think we can manage."

Ellie did as asked, leaving the t-shirt. The trousers were standard boys' school, but seemed to have an elastic waistband.

"Hmm, thirty two inches under and thirty four over. That's a B cup. Waist is twenty six inches. Can you loosen your trousers?" Ellie wasn't convinced but did as asked. "And your hips are thirty four. So, thirty four B, twenty six, thirty four."

Tammy stepped out so Ellie could redress, she went to the counter and made a note of the numbers. Ellie was a size eight, or a small size ten. Most of Sarah's stock started at size ten, but she didn't carry many of the smaller sizes.

Sarah was dealing with Anne McIntosh, the Headmaster's wife. "Oh, hello Tammy."

"Good afternoon, er, Anne."

"You haven't seen any of the boys in town have you? One of them, Leonard Sturgeon, has gone missing and he's only been at the school for a few weeks."

up
425 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

and things just happen...

Alecia Snowfall's picture

and things just happen. Looks like a new St.Andrews student may be trading in the kilt for a skirt or frock.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

all roads lead to Thurso

Is this place a trans magnet, giggle. If only I was a considerable many years younger with wealthy parents to send me there

lost boy found girl

It looks like Tammy found the missing boy named Leonard by finding a girl named Ellie

Wolf_0.jpg

Let me guess.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

The person that is missing is in Sarah's changing room.

Oh no, is Tammy gonna get blamed again?

>i< ..:::

Thank you Shiraz,

Another start for Tammy ,she is not letting the grass grow under her feet. The Scots will love the quote "that being
English wouldn't qualify you as disabled " !!:)

ALISON

Looks like it is making a

Looks like it is making a circle back to Tammy. She got her start in Sarah's shop and it appears she is now assisting another young woman in getting her start there as well. Ellie is most fortunate that she came into the shop this day, as she will have both a friend, and quite possibly a mentor as time goes by.

missing boys?

now what?

DogSig.png

26"

16 year old boys (if the guess that this is the St.Andrew's runaway is correct) - TG or not - can have 26"/66cm waistlines? I'm fairly sure I was 33-36" at that age

Sure they can

Depends on race for one. Two, back in the day when I was 16, people were generally a lot thinner.

Delayed puberty can make that the case too.

I was chubby

I was chubby, I suppose :)

26"

I had a waistline of 24" to 26" from the time I was fifteen through my early twenties, so it is possible.

I started on hormones in the fall of '93, I was 27 years old and had a 28" waist at that time, I stayed around 30" for the next fifteen years.

Tammy seems to be pre-judging all rhe young men in Thurso.

If she would stop and think for just a minute at all the boys who have tried to talk to her, I think she'd see that Joanne is right. They all see her as Tammy the pretty young woman and they're attracted to her. John has even shown an attraction to her and he waa Toms' roommate. Just go with it and maybe she'll find a young man suitable for marriage. On a side note, the fact that Joanne knows about her and Daniel isn't good. Her mum should be able to keep herself from discussing that with other people.

I Guess

joannebarbarella's picture

Ellie is Leonard. Tammy is like flypaper. When they get near they stick to her. Either that or there is something in the air in Thurso.

I can confirm from personal experience that 16 year-old boys can have 26 inch waists. Mine remained at that until my early twenties but I was a skinny kid.

I tell ya...

WillowD's picture

there must be something in the water at that school.

A meeting called for

Jamie Lee's picture

What? No attempted kidnappings, attempt on someone's life, citizens of other countries searching for anyone, just a regular day? How can she cope with such a mundane day? By catching up.

Seems not long ago a scared new girl entered this same shop and has since taken the world by storm. Literally. Now she has the opportunity to help another scared new girl as she was helped. Maybe in time she'll be helping in the shop on Saturday.

Tammy needs to call a family meeting and explain a few things to everyone. Namely, what they hear Tammy talk about is not for rebroadcast. Period, end of story. Joan will go through the roof at hearing this and will want more of a reason. All Tammy has to say is secrecy act. All she has to say is Yvonne almost killing her. All she has to say is the attempted kidnappings and other tries on her life. And all she has to say is need to know.

Others have feelings too.