Choices

Printer-friendly version

"Nolan! Wait up!"

Nolan turned around to see Elvia Jacobson trying to catch up. It was confusing. They ran in different circles. What could she possibly want?

"It is Nolan, right?" Elvia asked when she caught up. "Not a new name yet? I mean- Let's start over. I heard you came out as transgendered. Is that right?"

"Damn, news travels fast," Nolan remarked. "Yes, I came out. And it is still Nolan for now."

"How are you holding up?

"I am fine. My parents support me. As does the school's staff."

"That is good to hear," Elvia remarked. "Do you got any game plan for your transition?"

Nolan was a little concerned. Why was Elvia asking all these questions? Intruding on her private matters. Then again, Nolan's plan was awfully simple. "Picking up any side- and summer-job I can get my hands on. With the support of my family, I may be able to afford a magical transition by a licensed magician when I turn twenty. Twenty-one latest."

Elvia nodded sagely. "A good plan. But what about non-licensed ones?"

"What?" Nolan asked. "Insert on Craigslist? That does sound to me like a recipe for disaster."

Elvia gave a chuckle. But to Nolan, it sounded a little fake. "Oh, no. You see there are several 'in training' magicians at our school. Some day they might get a license and charge an arm and a leg. But now? They try to gain experience and might do freebies."

Nolan thought for a bit. This option had eluded her so far. She hadn't even known that a few magic-users attended her school. This might offer a faster way to ditch her stupid male body and have one she was meant to have.

"Do you know who is one?"

"Well, as it happens I am one," Elvia cheerfully revealed. "And yes. If you want I can help to bring out your true self. Free of charge."

"That is fantastic!" For a moment Nolan meant to hug her but then decided against it. Doing so without permission was bad. Elvia had no such qualms. Pulling Nolan in and giving her a heartfelt hug.

"W-when can we-"

"Eager to get started?" Elvia asked. "Don't worry. We can do it right after school."

"Really?"

"Really. So you might start picking a new name."

"I already have," Nolan replied. "I was thinking Nelly. It is close to my current name but girly."

"I like it," Elvia said. "So, Nelly. Tell me how you envision your female dream body."

Together they spend the rest of the walk to school making plans.

* - * _ * - *

Nelly was on her way to the cafeteria when suddenly someone hooked herself around her arm and pulled her aside. To Nolan's surprise, it was Yvonne Smith. Cheerleader and one of the most popular girls at the school.

"Nelly, right?" She asked, but didn't stop for the answer. "I heard you've been talking to Elvia. Listen. I know you want a female body. But, Elvia? You know she is a witch, right?"

"Y-yes," Nelly barely managed to get out, before Yvonne continued.

"But you don't know what type of witch she is. You see, each witch has a source of some kind. Hers is from hell. Yes, she made a deal with the devil."

The news nearly crushed Nelly. The whole morning she had looked forward to becoming a girl. Not just in spirit and soul, but the body too. Now her dream vanished in a puff. She certainly wouldn't sell her soul to gain her ideal body. Not if she could wait a few years and pay for one in cash.

"Don't look so down," Yvonne continued. "Look. Not every witch is in bed with the literal devil, you know? Take me for example. I bound myself to nature. I could help you."

"You can?" Nelly asked as her spirit was aflame again. "Would you? I mean. I can't pay much."

Yvonne quickly waved her off. "No payment is needed. At least to me. Look, here is how it goes. I can make you a girl - in body, mind you - but not overnight. Nature isn't flashy as a few other disciplines. It is slower but free. All you need to do is attend one quick ritual and then expose yourself to nature. The more the better. Put a few potted plants in your rooms and off you go. A complete girl. After a year. At latest. Maybe even within a month."

"Wow, that sounds so good," Nelly remarked. "When can we get started?"

"Next full moon. Which is next weekend. You in?"

Nelly nodded enthusiastically. It wasn't instant wish fulfillment as with Elvia, but at least she would keep her soul.

Excited, she followed Yvonne into the cafeteria, where they chatted all lunch.

* - * _ * - *

"If it isn't the newest girl at our school-"

Nelly turned around to Orestes Nakos, who leaned at a nearby wall of the school. He clearly had waited for her after school.

"What do you want?" Nelly asked. "And don't try to sell me blessed love charms again."

"Oh, no," Orestes assured her. "I am merely concerned for you. Rumor is that you join Elvia for a little magic after school."

"Thanks, but I was already warned," Nelly replied while tapping her foot. She never had liked Orestes. He was the school's wannabe playboy. How he managed to get a girlfriend was beyond her.

"From whom?" Orestes wanted to know.

"Yvonne Smith," Nelly admitted.

"Oh, big mistake," Orestes warned her. "Did she gave that whole slow transformation spiel? About how safe it is and so on? Lies. She is a freaking hack. You heard of the dryad that rooted herself by mistake on the crossroad of Carlson Avenue and sixth street. That was her last volunteer. Adelina Nieves. Heard of her?"

"We had math together last year," Nelly volunteered.

"They had to dig her out of the concrete," Orestes continued. "Now she lives in a sanctuary. Can't be away from her main tree for more than three hundred feet. You want this to be your future."

"Shit," Nelly cursed out loud. A rare occurrence, but the situation warranted it. "Thank you for warning me."

"You're welcome. But if you are serious about finding a quick way to womanhood I can hook you up."

"Seriously? What makes you different from Elvia or Yvonne?"

"Because it won't be me doing it. I mean I get it. I am young and can't do shit. Heck, all those wannabe witches are just fiddling around with stuff above their pay-grade. But you see, my Dad is different." Orestes gave Nelly a critical look. "He is the local head priest of Aphrodite. You heard of her, right?"

"The Greek goddess of beauty, love, and seduction. I think," Nelly mused out loud.

"Was Greek. She has been international now for a few centuries," Orestes corrected her. "And who better to facilitate your transformation than a goddess, right?"

"That sounds a little too good."

"Well, there is a price," Orestes admitted. "One we both will have to pay."

"Which is?"

"Well, it is Aphrodite we are talking about. Goddess of love and such. The price would be that you and your sponsor would fall in love for a half year. Doesn't sound so bad, right?"

Nelly narrowed her eyes. "Let me guess. The sponsor would be you. Don't you already have a girlfriend?"

"Yes, Adrienne. She's lovely. Sponsored her too. For another deed," Orestes paused for a moment. "Look. I am not only the son of the local head priest. I am also an initiate to the goddess of Aphrodite. I won't lie. A little polygamy is expected. But don't worry. After the ritual, you won't mind. I promise."

Nelly was a little overwhelmed. It was a lot to take in. In the end, she decided to buy time. "I'll think about it. Thanks for the warnings too."

"No, worries. Take your time. My Dad won't go anywhere soon and Aphrodite is here to stay."

They said their goodbyes and split. Leaving Nelly quite conflicted.

* - * _ * - *

Nelly was walking to the school in a cloud of depression. Yesterday, she had received three offers for a quick way to her dream come true. But they all had drawbacks. It was so unfair. Each one got their hopes up. Only to be squashed.

The last one was tempting though. She never liked Orestes. He was a wannabe playboy. Probably emulating his father. Now that Nelly knew that it was the head priest of Aphrodite it made sense. And he had been very upfront about everything. Which made him trustworthy in Nelly's eyes. But could she go through with it?

"Nelly! Wait up!"

Nelly flinched. Silently praying that it was no one ruining her Orestes option. Turning around she saw Katheryn Woodard running up. Or trying to. She had a little trouble.

"Yes?" Nelly asked as Katheryn had caught up.

"I wanted to talk to you," Katheryn admitted. "Look. We are in the same boat. Just on the opposite. I want to be a boy. You want to be a girl. We can help each other."

Nelly quirked an eyebrow. "How so?"

"Easy," Katheryn assured her. "I know someone who can swap our bodies. I even got the money ready. Won't even take five minutes and both our dreams are fulfilled."

Nelly stumbled but caught herself. She hadn't expected to find something so simple to solve her problem. But, was it? She glanced at Katheryn. While Nelly hated her male body she still took care of it. A philosophy Katheryn didn't seem to share. She was more than a little overweight and her lack of care could be seen all over her body. If Nelly was honest then she would rate her current body a seven and Katheryn's a two.

Still, Nelly tried to be objectionable. Could she, in the body of her, pull it around? The weight could be lost with exercise. The unkempt hair and dirty skin were a matter of daily care. It would get better over time. But how much?

As much as Nelly wanted a female body, was it worth stepping so low? To take a body that was so run down that everyone avoided Katheryn. Nelly was split. She needed more time.

"Sounds like the right idea," Nelly started. "But I need to talk about it with my parents. Talk to you soon, okay?"

Nelly quickly excused herself, but soon was ambushed by yet another person. Corey Singleton leaned at the school's fence and hollered for Nelly to wait as he spotted her.

"Rumor is you want a female body," Corey started without preamble. "I am hurt that you didn't come to me first."

Nelly narrowed her eyes. She knew next to nothing about Corey and had no clue why she should talk to him. Her wanting a female body was her business. Not his.

"Why?" she asked. Not entirely managing to suppress her annoyance.

"Because I am a body sculptor. My whole family is for over seven generations now."

"A body sculptor? Never heard of that," Nelly admitted.

"It is rather rare," Corey admitted. "You see we are not just mages, but artists. Were other mages and witches go for instant transformation, we body sculptors take our time. Instead of trusting some arcane whim, a body sculptor is addressing one detail at a time. Remodeling a body with pace and attention to detail."

"That sounds amazing," Nelly admitted. "But also inconvenient. To be stuck between forms. For how long?"

"A half-year," Corey volunteered. "Well, given that I still go to school, maybe a year. But don't worry. You wouldn't notice any of it. For you, it would appear like an instant transformation."

Now, Nelly developed doubts. "How exactly does it work?"

"Well, first I transform your body to clay a-"

"Clay!"

"Magical clay," Corey assured her. "How else am I supposed to sculpt your body? But as I said. No need to worry. You won't feel a thing. As long as your body is clay your consciousness is suspended."

"I don't know. A year?"

"But think of the advantages. Your body wouldn't just be female. It would be perfection. A piece of art."

Nelly nodded, but still had doubts. "And you could change my body exactly how I want it?"

"Well-" Corey gave her a charming smile. Or what he might think one looked like. "I am an artist. No helping that. If the muse strikes you know-"

"And how often did you do this already?"

"Once," Corey admitted. "Not a gender change. Just some minor touch-ups. You'll be my first big project."

"I'll think about it," Nelly promised. And she would, but there were a few doubts that she couldn't shake.

* - * _ * - *

"Nelly!"

Nelly twitched. She had tried to avoid Elvia. But the witch had found her nonetheless.

"Where were you? I waited for you after school."

"Well-" Nelly's mind raced to find an excuse. "You see-"

"Someone talked smack behind my back, right?" Elvia asked sagely. She gave a tired nod and gave a big sigh. "What was it this time?"

"Something about making a pact with the devil-"

Elvia groaned. "Ugh. That old argument again. Look. Let me explain."

She steered Nelly away, who wondered what she got into this time.

"Every mage and witch makes a pact. Everyone. If they say otherwise then they are lying. Some bind themselves to nature, like Yvonne, and others to a god or goddess. But here is the thing. I can't make a pact with the devil. He doesn't exist."

"What?"

"The devil is an invention of the church. A millennium or so ago. All to scare their followers into doing their bidding. Then, two centuries back, we got visitors from a parallel dimension. As in science, Nelly. Not magic or faith. Whatever. Unfortunately the visitors from the Netherrealm, that's what their dimension is called, look a lot like demons. You know. Red skin, hooves, horns, and tails."

She stopped Nelly from walking further. Clearly animated now in her rant. "And the church? They took it as a sign. That demons were real and so was the devil. All bullshit. I mean they claim there is a king in hell, right? The Netherlandians don't even have a monarchy. They are democratic just like us."

"So, it is a bunch of prejudice?"

"Exactly," Elvia exclaimed. "Look. I would never trade my soul away for power. Magic or otherwise. Only idiots would claim something like that. I connected my soul with the Netherrealm. How else am I supposed to channel their magic? It's the same a witch does with the local nature. I just use the nature of a different dimension."

Nelly nodded. "I guess that makes sense. To be honest, I am a little glad. My other options-"

"What others?" Elvia dug in.

"Well, there is Orestes-"

"Fuck, no," Elvia immediately cursed. "Look. Nelly. If you have other options. Fine. I want you to be happy. If another can do it for you then go for it. But listen. Do. Not. Trust. Orestes."

"To be honest, I had my doubts about him," Nelly admitted. "He was very upfront about everything, but something was off."

"The whole dude is off," Elvia insisted. "Did he tell you about the mental part?"

"Yeah. Falling in love with him for a half year. A fact I don't really like."

"That is not what I mean," Elvia said while shaking her head. "They straight-up brainwash people. Have you ever talked to Adrienne? His 'girlfriend'. She is so one dimensional you wouldn't believe. Heck, go to the science lab and ask them to make you a Stepford wife. You know. All robots and programming. You would still have more free will there than Adrienne currently has. She is so locked in her docile good girlfriend role that she is practically dead inside."

"Damn. And that is legal?"

"It's hard to prove," Elvia admitted. "Just don't do it, okay? Promise?"

"I won't. Thanks for warning me."

"So, what other options you have?"

"A few hours ago Corey Singleton came to me," Nelly volunteered.

"He has powers?" Elvia asked. "Didn't know that."

"Apparently, he is a body sculptor."

"Damn, Nelly," Elvia cursed. "You are some kind of asshole magnet."

"What?"

"I heard of body sculptors. Seen their victims. They all look like pornstars. And the rumor is they can shape more than the body. Mind too." Elvia looked conflicted for a moment but then continued on. "I am not saying Corey is like the ones I heard about. Maybe he is not. Just be careful."

"I will," Nelly promised.

Again, all her options went up in flames. Nelly was devastated. Right now, Elvia's offer looked the best. But, for how long? It didn't leave Nelly's mind even after saying goodbye to Elvia.

* - * _ * - *

Nelly spied her target and beelined for it. With each person she spoke to, more details revealed themselves. So, Nelly thought seeking out Yvonne might clue her in about details of her other offers.

"Yvonne. Do you got a minute?"

"Nelly? Sure. What is on your mind? Taking me up on my offer."

Nelly winced. "Sorry Yvonne, I want to be a girl in body, but going full Dryad is a little too much."

"Ugh. Who told you about that?" Yvonne asked. "Listen. That whole Dryad deal. That was my younger sister. She wasn't ready yet and we told her as much. Look. Here. These are my last three clients."

Yvonne pulled out a portfolio and handed it to Nelly. All three girls in there looked beautiful, but there was one detail that stood out.

"Why do they all have green hair?"

"It's part of the magic. Look, mine are too." Yvonne parted her hair and showed Nelly the roots. They had a tinge green to it. "I guess it is a disadvantage. You can color your hair as I do. Brown and black works best. Lighter colors like blond and red not so much. Even with using bleach."

"I see. Look, I wanted to talk to you about Elvia-"

"She again?" Yvonne cut her off. "I bet it was her who spread those false rumors about me. Ugh. She is the worst. Listen. Don't believe everything she says. I mean, look at her last project."

"Which was?"

"Chrystal Crosby. I take it you heard of her?"

Nelly had indeed and nodded. Crystal was known as the school's slut. Rumor says if a guy wanted to get his dick wet, then she was the gal to ask. Normally, Nelly didn't give a hoot about rumors. Yet, Nelly had too often walked into a school's restroom that was occupied by Crystal and one of her conquests.

"If you don't want to end up like her then I suggest you'd stay away. Sorry. I gotta go. The next class is about to begin. Talk later?"

Nelly nodded. Followed by a heartfelt sigh. She wanted more rumors and she got them in spades.

* - * _ * - *

"Excuse me? Nolan, right?" The blustering young guy facepalmed himself. "Sorry. You want to be called Nelly, right?"

"That is correct." Nelly hadn't expected to use her female name so soon. Planning to adopt it only after her body was transformed into a female one. But apparently, the whole school accepted and run with it.

"My name is Noah. Noah Potts. I won the science fair last year."

"Yeah. That's why you look familiar," Nelly lied.

"Look. Me and the guys. We got our hands on this remarkable female android a few months back. It was a bit of a fixer-upper, but we got her working. Mostly. You see the A.I. never worked. And we thought an uploaded neural pattern-"

"Noah," Nelly butted in. "Let me stop you right there. I appreciate what you are trying to do, but my dream is to be a real woman. As in flesh and blood."

Noah blushed and took a few steps backward. "I get it. It was a long shot anyway. Told the guys you wouldn't go for it. No hard feelings, right?"

"Sure," Nelly agreed.

* - * _ * - *

"You look down."

Nelly looked up and spied Elvia who had found her.

"I talked to Yvonne," Nelly admitted after letting out a heartfelt sigh.

Elvia sat down beside Nelly on the grass. "What did she say this time?"

"Uhm, she mentioned Chrystal Crosby," Nelly volunteered.

Elvia looked at Nelly for a moment and then burst out laughing. "Ah, yes. The school slut. My finest project so far."

"What?" Nelly was shocked. For Elvia to admit it so easily was unexpected. "You really made her a slut?"

"Oh, sweetie, far from it," Elvia managed to say after a few more chuckles. "What do you know about Crystal? Before I got my hands on her."

"I don't really know anything."

"That is because Crystal used to be Chris."

"Wait. The Chris that came out as gay last year?"

"Exactly," Elvia said with a nod. "And you know what? He had a hunger. Yes, for man-meat. Fucked everything that gave his gay ass a chance. But it wasn't enough. Chris wanted more. And there I came in."

"You made him into Crystal so he can fuck more men?"

"So she can fuck more men," Elvia corrected. "So, you see. Crystal had always been a slut. It just wasn't as noticeable when he was a gay teen boy. Now, she can fish in a bigger pond."

"I guess-"

"Okay, in all fairness I have to admit that my way could have made her a little bit more of a slut," Elvia volunteered.

"What do you mean?"

"You know that magic always has a cost, right? Some claim it as side effects."

Nelly didn't have to think long. "Yvonne mentioned it. Apparently, all her volunteers end up with green hair."

"Exactly. Look, those I change tend to take on aspects of the Netherrealmian race. You see these?" Elvia parted her forehead hair and pointed to small bone protrusions. "I wish my side-effects had been bigger. Instead of wicked horns I only have these small nubs. Well, maybe with more rituals performed that will change."

"What does that have to do with Crystal?"

"Oh, you see the Netherrealmian's live in a fairly warm world. For them, our world is uncomfortably cold. And those touched by their magic often develop a fondness for heat sources. Tanning in the sun, visiting the sauna, lounging in front of a fireplace, and in Crystal's case sharing body heat."

"I see-" Nelly slowly admitted.

The two girls shared a small silent moment before Elvia gave Nelly a lopsided grin. "You are still on the fence, right? To be honest, magic has always drawbacks. Licensed magicians only manage to minimize it to barely noticeable. Tell you what. I remove myself. Officially withdrawing my offer."

"What? Why?" Elvia's sudden reveal was surprising. While Nelly wasn't sure about her magic, she liked Elvia as a person.

"Well, now that I don't have a stake in it anymore, I can give you better advice," Elvia revealed. Leaning closer she continued. "Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes-"

* - * _ * - *

"Nelly, right?" Elvia asked as she caught up to Nelly. "I mean it must be you. Katheryn, now Ken, walks around in your body. So, if a seemingly new girl shows up, it must be you."

"Yeah, I am," Nelly admitted.

"Damn, girl. You look hot. Give me a twirl."

Grinning, Nelly obligated. She loved how the skirt flared as she did. In fact, she loved everything about her new body. It was perfect.

"So, my advise helped?" Elvia asked.

"More than that. You were right. It is a lot cheaper to get your dream body from a professional when you are already the desired gender. Switched with Katheryn, now Ken, and then went to a professional."

"Who did you pick?"

"We went to Better-U Incorporated. They were amazing," Nelly gushed. "Slimmed the body down in a jiffy and made everything to my specifications. It took a whole day, but it was worth it. Each detail was addressed and they pointed out the advantages and disadvantages of every decision. Such dedication."

"Sounds like an expansive enterprise," Elvia remarked.

"Well, my parents had to take credit," Nelly admitted. "A small one. It wasn't nearly as expansive as I had feared. We'll have that one paid off in no time. A few years at most. But this way, I didn't have to wait a few years for my dream body."

"I am really glad for you," Elvia admitted. "To be honest, I doubt I could have delivered such a fine job as Better-U Incorporated did. You really are perfect. And to be honest, if you ever want to share body heat with me, I am all game."

Nelly blushed deeply but then gave a slight warm smile. Her new life was shaping up better than she hoped. With a renewed step, she headed to school. Finally a complete girl. Soul, mind, and body.

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Funny and awesome

WillowD's picture

I found this story both funny and awesome. So many twists and turns to it. Thank you.

very cool concept

I loved it!

DogSig.png

Nolan/Nelly

Interesting names, just like the plot. Nice work.

Good story name and plot

I loved that you gave choices but also the downside to that choice. It was a nice touch to have the "devil" remove their offer and turn around and help find the right choice.

Interesting that the "least" desirable choice on the surface, turns out to be the best in the long run.

People need to learn to look beyond the surface.

Gumby - I'm flexible

"Imagination is more important, than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
new discoveries, is not ‘Eureka!’, but ‘that’s funny…’” - Isaac Asimov

Interesting that the "least"

Zengar's picture

Interesting that the "least" desirable choice on the surface, turns out to be the best in the long run.

Well, actually Noah's offer of a fembot body was the least desirable option... but since Nelly never really considered it I guess it doesn't really count as a "choice" ;) Given that the point of the story is "if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is" then of course the option where the downsides are all up front is the one to take. Or rather, "if you know what the full downsides are, you can take steps to mitigate them"

Better-U Incorporated

Daphne Xu's picture

I found this searching for BetterU, Incorporated, to see if any other stories had been written about it. Sure enough, one had -- but only one. Unlike the ad, this BetterU apparently engaged in no actual mind control -- but who can really say? If this were written as something in the past, after the transformation occurred, the whole story might have been a BetterU invention. Maybe all the claimed magic in the story might have been a BetterU invention.

I know that I began reading that story earlier, but I don't think that I ever finished it. I didn't remember BetterU, and if I finished it, why didn't I give it a Kudo then?

Are you going to write any more on BetterU? Might you be agreeable to someone else writing about them?

-- Daphne Xu

About BetterU Inc.

BetterU Incorporated is a large company that not only is active in one world, but many.
In return they profit from having access to the magic and technology of many worlds (/dimensions).
They dabble in many areas that require transformation and or mind "adjustment".
From simple beautification to insurance.
(Who could forget their classic ad: "Help! I've been genderbend and I can't turn back!")
As always with large companies (that also span over multiple worlds) one branch of the company might not know what another branch does.
That could lead to confusing or contradictory actions.
(BetterU Inc. tried to aquire Bikini Beach, while another branch tried to muscle them at the same time. But that is a story for another day).
In so far, many stories could be told about BetterU Inc.
So, yes, it is open to other authors.
Though I would welcome dialogue with a writer beforehand to reduce the inconsistencies.
The easiest way to reach me is through my discord server: https://discord.gg/sZEmkbC5

I've forgotten.

Daphne Xu's picture

Who could forget their classic ad: "Help! I've been genderbend [genderbent?] and I can't turn back!" I've forgotten it, I admit.

BetterU spanning many dimensions reminded me of my own "Multiverse Lucy & Ruth". I'm not going to do anything further with that idea, because it was just a thought exercise. Anything further would warp Elrod's vision of BB.

Might BetterU engage in higher education? Or create its own version? (Perhaps the rest of us might call it "lower education"?) Might it create a university (or megaversity)?

Have you written any besides the two I read? (The ad with reviews and "Choices")

-- Daphne Xu

More BetterU stories

Hey Daphne,

I have plans and ideas for more, but they aren't a priority right now.
Most likely I will use BetterU to loosely connect future short stories together.
Not exacly like a shared universe and more along the line of a running gag or so.