Alex & Chris Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version


Alex & Chris
By Sharphawlad

Chapter 15 Robert the stallholder in Scarborough.

The girls all went and withdrew £500 each and went back with her. “Our friend tells us that you are doing special deals at £500 if that is true then we would like a deal.” Each group of girls told their friends and progressively increased the amount they paid for the outfits. Linze had to go back and buy another £200 of shoes to sell with the dresses.

The stallholder, “What are you doing with them. I could never sell them and you have sold more in an hour than I have in a year.”

“Actually we are having a clearance sale but we are doing it as a complete package.”

“Look I will return all your money and bring over my remaining stock for you to sell. I will work out a deal that is beneficial to us both. Would you like my help ladies I can wrap the items up if you wish.”

All too soon all the stock had gone. “It was a good job I put these under the counter for us.” They started to tidy up and they were working out with the stallholder Robert what he wanted. Doris & Dora came back to find the store completely sold out. They noticed Robert the stallholder.

“Oh you two skivers have missed all the hard work.”

Doris, “Robert what are you doing here in our store?”

Robert, “Hello sisters I was helping these two look after your business, they came to buy my shoes to sell with your dresses. I was going to work out how much was due to me.”

Whilst they were talking another young girl came in and said, “Please will you do the same next year in time for the formal. If you are I will have to start saving all my pocket money. My sister is over the moon with what she has got from you.”

Robert, “Yes we will and remember the first gets the best deal so watch out for when we run it as it is only aimed at local girls.”

Doris, “Robert how much did you pay for those shoes?”

Robert replied” £1000 Doris.”

“Right here is your £1000 now to count up the remainder.”

“Well girls I doubt that you ever had as much fun in London. Robert you stay you helped the girls out so we are going to pay you each 10% of the total sales this is in addition to what you made earlier girls.” Robert soon realised he had made more than did normally in a week.

“Robert we presume you have left your assistant in charge of your shop so would you like to come with us to the Royal for Lunch?”

Linze, “Perhaps a quick shave upstairs.” He went to the bathroom and found all he needed was there including some aftershave. Must be for their posh customer’s well I might as well use some. Right sisters I am looking forward to this.”

Linze, “Why do you not combine your firms the shop next door is empty and could easily be knocked through.”

Robert, “That is what we fell out over the girls wanted to aim at the top & I for the bottom. My mottos were selling them cheap and buy them cheaper. My sister’s maxims are buying cheap and sell dear.”

Doris said, “Robert you know we could never sell some of the cheap that you sell. Is Laura still working for you? Come we will help you close down the stall. Laura might as well have an interest in our proposition.”

Laura, “Sorry boss it has been rather slow there was a special on somewhere & they were not buying from us.”

“My sisters want to have a word with you about shoes Laura.” Depending on what you say may determine if I should open a shoe department in my sisters store.”

“Well boss you cannot sell like you do here but some of the shoes would sell well and could be sold dear. Your sisters would only buy an odd pair at a time. You buy thousands at once. I am not up on what looks good but the miss here knows. I would suggest the miss here looks at the catalogue and you buy and store the shoes. They are not shown on the market stall but we always have one of each Size in stock. These we mark at an outrageous price. Some may sell to the toffs but they can afford it. Was he a good sales girl Girls?

Linze, “We were that busy that I doubt the women noticed he was male.” Each one bragged to their friends how much they spend.” The first girl got the best deal of all she spent £475 but told her friends she had spent £500 as each group came in the price increased until we finally were doing deals of £2000 a time. They all were happy with their purchases & all know they are clearance lines.”

Laura, “Ladies when you restock should you acquired some wedding dresses as you will be having a new sister in law. Robert promised to me if he ever took £1000 in cash in a day he would marry me.”

Doris, “Well we paid him his original £1000 for the shoes and 10% of the total sales so it looks like he will finally be marrying you.”

Robert, “I presume you still have both my rings safe,”

Linda, they were the only item not sold and that was because they were locked in the safe in another box.”

Dora, “Well then ask her”.

Robert, “Laura will you become my partner & wife. We have to decide how to spend this money.”

She took it all off Robert and said, “This to buy us into the shop and to extend it in fact my future husband can do some of the manual work if he guts both shops. And then knocks the wall out.” It will be ready for the shop fitters to come in. You two girls though will be out of work for some time. So I wondered if you would like to run the stall while I help Robert.”

Next to the market was a store selling children's clothing & Baby wear. “Hello Doris are you all celebrating.”

Doris said, “We are closing early because we have completely sold out and Robert & Laura have finally got engaged so we are going to celebrate.”

Congratulations you two. Doris is it true these two cleared your shop in less than two hours I could do with borrowing them. Girls could you do for me what you did for Dora & Doris.”

Linze said, “Do you sell shoes?”

“No Robert sells them so I do not bother.”

Doris said, “Robert”,

“OK she can have them at cost & Laura gets to go to the sales tomorrow for a percentage like today.”

Linze, “Before we go for lunch can we put up a poster advertising tomorrow's special one day sale.”

As they were walking to the hotel they met the Owner of a rather exclusive men wear shop. “Hi Jeff how is it going.”

“Nobody is buying today and I thought I would be in with a chance with the dance coming up. I see you all closed early are you the same?”

Robert, “Actually I have sold more shoes today than ever before in my life and it is thanks to these two.”

Jeff, “In that case I want to here how to do it. I was thinking of expanding and taking the two shops above yours. I heard on the grapevine that your sisters are also expanding.” It is a pity Maggie who has the children's shop would not move and then we could be best of the best,”

Doris, “Actually Jeff that would not be a bad idea.” “Normally we all deal with the wealthy classes. Robert you will not be doing the work after all. We need Maggie in on this & it depends on how tomorrow goes.”

Maggie listened to the proposals. “If the girls can clear me like they did you then I am in.”

Jeff, “Well we have the other two stores already. OK once tomorrow is over we need to work out some sort of partnership.

Laura, “I could see how much it will cost to get refitted.”

Robert, “We can still clear the store of all old fittings and rubbish in preparation of the fitters coming.”

Jeff, “I will order a skip for tomorrow and we will see how much damage we can inflict in fact I may have some additional help. My son is home and he is a structural engineer.”

Robert smiled and said, “Jeans and T shirt then.”

Laura. “I realise Robert is to be my husband but I would like say in this investment. If we are to set up a joint store then we all need to put in an equal amount. Some of us own the stores and have equity tied up that way. Others can put in a cash sum to the same value or as a couple. “

Christobell said, “Well My sisters & I are in along with my Niece Tilly & her siblings are in and so are Doris and Dora.”

Laura said, “Robert and I are in & so is Betty.” “OK we will come in but we are wondering where we will get the extra from.”

Clara spoke girls this morning alone you sold me £4,000,000 of goods. So I make that a cool million plus a day’s pay in addition to what you made along with Robert you got each another 1.5 million. “I think your stake is enough at 3 million. Neither girl had looked at the cheque they had just pushed them in their bags.”

Betty said, “Girls same offer with me and Jeff 10% each of total sales that includes you Laura if you wish to come.”

Laura said, “I think I had better go so to increase our stake Robert.”

Doris & Dora said, “Do not look so worried Robert invested with us as well as the stall. He has sold us shoes at £1000 and got £1,500,000 for a mornings work in addition he has already sold Betty £2000 of shoes.”

This brought laughter from the others who all said; “We could not understand how he could trade.” Robert, “Well I like to talk to folks and I still get some customers for the cheap products.” After lunch Robert said, “Now what did you say about needing a hand with.”

Clara said, “What we came to do in the first thing which is to clear a house out.”

“OK I will help you with that, Jeff before you go I think I need to sell you some shoes at cost for your sale. I will bring them round before we start work. How many suits need clearing?”

“About 2,000.” “So that would be £4,000 for the shoes plus Laura's wages. Any decent furniture was put in Dora's van the other stuff all went in Robert's van for disposal.

Laura & the girls looked at the clothing and said. “What do you want us to do with this?”

Clara, “Sort out what you each want and dump the rest.” Most of the underwear was put in a pile for dumping.”

Robert, “Clara I may be able to get you something for this lot is it OK if I try.”

“I doubt that you can get much but if you can split it with the girls for their help. Before we go girls there is a garden ornament or two that need to go in my van.” They had one last look around before saying can you drop us off at North Marine road we live near there.”

Laura, “Well that is near our home in Vincent Square.”

The girls looked at each other and said, “We are no 14 what number are you?”

Robert burst out laughing and said, “Mrs. Cross said, her little girls had come home and were looking for work. Your mum is nice but not always with it. There had been more than once when she was wandering about at night looking for your father.”

“Yes we know that is why we returned home and gave good jobs up. I still cannot believe our luck today.”

Robert, “This bag with the underwear in I was thinking of asking Laura to wash the items and then dry them and sell them on E-bay. The furniture I am going to take to a dealer or two and see what I can get with three girls to distract him we should do well.”

After unloading the bags all four of them drove to the dealers. The first dealer selected several items he was interested in and paid for them. “The next dealer was saying I will give you £500 for the lot and Linda appeared to bend over. Man you are going to cost me a fortune here is £600. Take her away before I have a heart attack. Now all we have left is the urn and Tim was not interested in that.”

Finally they got to a dealer and he asked were the urn had come from. “Daughter of Lady Clara Middleton has returned home and I was asked to dispose of it”

OK Providing you sign letter saying were it has come from and who the owner was. I will get you cash as I presume you wish to split the proceeds. £10,000 OK,”

Robert, “If Lady Clara had wanted it then it would have gone in my sisters van so have no regrets.”

Both girls changed and Linda said, “Do you feel Like we have stolen the money from Clara come we are going back to see if we can find her.”

Linda, “Well I have just ordered us a taxi to take us to the Royal Hotel.”

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos