Alex & Chris Chapter 28

Printer-friendly version


Alex & Chris
By Sharphawlad

Chapter 28 More Hobbits.

Chris, “Alex I wanted to talk to you about our castle in Skipton. Alex You recently bought it from the Fattorini family who got it from the late Lord Hothfield’s estate and I was wondering. If we could do a theme with the castle. Like having Wax mannequins in the dungeons and torture chamber. Having a banquet laid out in the great hall with mannequins sat round the table. There also is a Clifford Whitecoats society and I was wondering if we could have a chat to them about using the castle as their base and some of the White coats being on duty at weekends.”

Whilst they were talking two small men approached and said, “Excuse me, but is there a home for midgets like us nearby as we could not help but notice all the small ladies you have nearby.”

Astrid, “Did you see a group of four similar to us?”

“Yes they are hiding behind those bushes over there.”

A few seconds later there was a lot of squealing and then four very wet Hobbits emerged from their hide hole.

Saskia, “Look girls what we have found wandering round here.”

“I am afraid we got rather lost. We were trying to find our way home. When we got there it had been demolished and nobody knows where the rest of our family is. Sorry I did not tell you our names. We have been away for such a long time & we both got home sick so we have had to return. My name is Frodo and this is my uncle Bilbo.”

Saskia, “As in Baggins of the shire?”

“That is us so you have heard of us?”

Alexis, “Yes we have all heard of you both and how famous you both are. We are in the process of building a hobbit village & will need hobbits to staff it and run it. As you can see we only so far have girl hobbits here.” They both followed Alexis who pulled the plans out. “This is what we are currently building in the grounds.”
Frodo, “It almost looks like our old home with some improvements.”

Saskia, “Eventually we are going to need more hobbits to staff the theme park. We have decided that the hobbits can all live and work together.”

Alexis, “It will be two weeks before the first hobbit home is complete. It will also be several months before the rest is ready for opening to the public.”

Frodo, “Please can we see the site as it is now.”

Frodo started to cry, “The one that is nearly ready looks like my old home.”

Alexis, “As you can see this unit is complete other than it needs decorating and that we have to decide on.”

Frodo, “We left the Elf's because we wanted our own kind and then we found them all gone. You have twelve of us here already. Would you be willing to employ two male hobbits to do pony rides and advise on the New Shire? Before you answer that can you tell us why it will take two weeks when the house is ready now?”

Alexis, “The decorators cannot get here for two weeks. If you both want a job you can have it.”

Frodo, “Have we permission to borrow all the girl hobbits. Nobody decorate better than a Hobbit & girl hobbits are the best.”

Saskia looked at Frodo, “If we helped them they could live in the little house.”

Alexis, “Ok tell me what you want.”

Saskia wrote down a list and Frodo said, "That look comprehensive.”

A day later Samantha and her friend Isadora went into the same room at the clinic. Helen said, “Isadora when you awake you will have bandages across your eyes do not try and move them. Sam held Isadora hand as she fell asleep. Then Isadora was taken for the surgery. A short time later

Alexis brought her back and said, “Time for you to give me a cuddle. When you awake you will have legs and be mended below.”

“I am not scared mummy my real mummy came to me last night and told me I had to be a good girl for you as you are now my mummy.”

Samantha did not even flinch as the injection took hold. Samantha had to endure have many hours of surgery.” Eventually she was wheeled back to her room. Isadora said, “Hello who is that?”

Tanya, “Isadora they have just brought Samantha back and she has had her legs fixed.”

“Are they all bandaged up like my eyes?”

“Samantha has not yet come round properly but she will soon. Yes she is all bandaged up.”

A couple of hours later Helen popped in to check up on both patients. Samantha was awake and said, “I am rather hungry and my toes tingle.”

Helen, “That is good because it means that your new legs are working perfectly.”

“You fixed me so I am no longer broke. Dad used to fix things when they broke.”

Helen, “Well you both are no longer broke.”

Tanya, “I have been told you can have orange juice and a plain biscuit. So that is what I have brought you.” Before long the two of them were fast asleep again when they next awoke Astrid and sisters were holding their hands and talking to them.

Astrid noticed Sam had already started changing. “Now you are my sister proper very soon you will be able to dance with us.”

“Astrid I have never learned to dance.”

Astrid laughed, “Once you get up on your legs you will find you can dance like me. Those are dancing legs you got.”

Helen. “Close your eyes Isadora I am going to take the bandage off. Now slowly open your left eye and now your right.”

“My eyes are fuzzy oh it is coming clearer I can see Samantha in her bed. I could not do that before. Please may I go and hold Samantha’s hand. This is great I can see everyone without getting close up to them.”

Isadora gave Samantha a hug and said, “Thanks for being my friend. Not many people want to be friends with a nearly blind girl. I could not easily play games but now I will have to learn.”

Sam, “It is me who should thank you for being my friend. Lots of people called me nasty names and that hurt me.”

Astrid, “Remember you now have sisters to defend you although I doubt that we will need to. Also you have lots of friends including Isadora who think the world of you.” As the week progressed Samantha found she could use her legs again. As she got stronger she could walk further until the chair was no longer needed. At bath time she was comparing her legs to Astrid’s, “I cannot tell which is the old me and which is the new me. I am still broke though.” Samantha pointed to her bottom.

Astrid, “Silly you are the same as me and the others when we grow up we will have babies like our mummies.”

“So I am mended and not broke anymore.”

Astrid, “No you are not broke.”

Tanya came in and saw Sam was smiling. “You look happy darling.”

“Yes I am and I can have babies like you now I am not broke.”

For a minute Tanya was stunned and then said, “Well yes you will be able to when you get older.”

Samantha took hold of Tanya and Astrid’s hand and started singing “I am not broke anymore I was fixed.”

Alexis came to see what the noise was and Tanya, “She is pleased she is no longer broke as she puts it.”

Alexis, “Seeing as you like to dance let’s see if you can do this step. Sam watched and copied Alexis.

Astrid, “I told you those were dancing legs they are like mine.”

“I would like to go round the garden now and stomp on the rocks and wet hobbits.”

Alexis, “Tanya are you coming with us or are you going to warn the others.” On the way to the garden they met Frodo and Bilbo who were leading lady and princess to the garden.

“Oh thank you we can both ride them to the garden.” Sam said, “How do you like the New Shire?”

Frodo, “It is coming on fine in fact we wanted to ask if we could advertise for more hobbits. It should be a working museum with proper hobbits doing what hobbits do best.”

Alexis, “Actually we advertised for staff and stated the requirements. We start the interviews this afternoon. “

“Are we allowed to help select the hobbits we want as we will have to work with them?”

Alexis, “Actually I want you two and the remaining 12 Hobbits to interview all the candidates. I will step in if I feel it is required. I would prefer hobbit families.”

Whilst the interviews were taking place Astrid and Samantha played in the garden been watched by Tanya. “Hello.” said a voice “Are you twins?”

Sam, “Well we were born the same day at the same hospital so I suppose we are. Are you here for the job?”

“What job? I came with some friends who appear to have vanished.”

Sam, “Well you are a hobbit. Come with us and we will show you the new shire.”
“I am called Paula & yes I am a hobbit.”

“Why did you call me hobbit like you did?”

“We have 12 who live with us and two more who live in one of the houses.”

“Please may I see the village?”

Astrid, “I like you will you come to tea with us but first we will look round the village.”

“I used to be a teacher for hobbits. I see you have a school room.”

“Come look we had good advisors.”

“I see why you are looking for hobbits. I did not know so did not apply for an interview.”

Astrid, “Tell us about yourself.”

“Well I have some sisters I have not seen for some time as they are on tour with a famous comedian. They are all Hobbits like me. This place would have appealed to them. I take it that this will be a home and a working museum.”

“That is the main idea.”

Tanya, “I told the manor we had an extra guest.” Meanwhile there was some dispute over the selection of the hobbits.

Alexis, “It is no good none of them have teaching qualifications and so cannot have the job however much we like them.” Some of the others were still arguing when they got to the manor.

Astrid & Samantha were sat at the table with their friend. Astrid said, “Oh good we have more hobbits.”

Paula turned round to see her sisters arguing. “I see you still cannot get on even after all these years.”

Saskia, “Alexis we have just found your teacher or at least Samantha and Astrid have.”

Alexis, “Why did you not apply?”

“To be honest I came for a day out and got talking to these two. I had no idea you were looking for hobbits or apparently my sisters & cousins already work here.”

Terri, “Boss we all have decided that we can be united this time. One qualification was you had to have family? Another was you need a teacher.” “Paula fits the bill perfectly She is a qualified teacher and has family here already.”

Paula, “Well most of you I recognise but the hobbit who has just spoken I did not recognise.”

Saskia, “Cousin Paula that was my elder sister Terri who you have played with often.”

Alexis, “Paula do you want the job as teacher? We have a candlestick maker, a Blacksmith and a Baker with their respective families.”

“Will these four also be my pupils?”

Alex said. “It can be arranged.”

“I also need to give my current employers notice. I will need to also look for accommodation.”

Saskia said, “Most of the new hobbits will be living on site in homes provided for them. You are different though & will live & take meals in the big house with your sisters and cousins.” As they were all talking the doorbell rang and Alice went to answer it.

“Hello can you help me please my car broke down and I had to walk here.”

Alice looked at a small rather wet bedraggled hobbit. “Come in and I will get you some dry clothing.”

“May I use the telephone my Mini is in a ditch and it needs pulling out. I am called Baby by my friends because I am one of the smallest hobbits.”

Alice, “Would you like to have a bath we have plenty of children’s clothing that will fit you.”

“Yes please that would be nice.”
A short while later a very presentable hobbit appeared. Alice, “I have put all your clothing in the washer. Would you like a meal?”

“I am a little thirsty and hungry after that long walk. I am late for a job interview and now I will not get it as the interviews finished some time ago.”

Alice, “The family are all eating but they will enjoy your company.” Alice took her through to the dining room and said, “We have a Baby as a guest.”

Baby said, “Sorry I have had to borrow some clothing while mine gets dried.” Baby looked around, “Oh lots of hobbit sisters here.” “Did any of you apply for the jobs close by?”

Paula looked at the new hobbit, “I think we have met before. Did you not one tell me you were the granddaughter of one of our most famous Hobbits.”

“I may have done, for ages I have looked for my father and great uncle.”

Alexis who had already guessed who the father was said, “I presume you never found them.”

“I know both of them are back as others have told me they have met them. As you can see I am small even for a hobbit.” She looked at Saskia, “In comparison to me you are giant Hobbits. My car is stuck in a dyke several miles down the road towards Kettlewell. This was the first place I found.”

Alexis, “I will have it towed out and brought up here & cleaned off.

“Thank you I am so tired with all that walking.”

Helen examined her, “She is exhausted.”

Astrid & Samantha said, “Tanya can you cope with another baby?”

Tanya lifted the sleeping form up, “I will put Baby in your bed she will probably welcome the company.”

Alexis, “I will make sure we have the other two for breakfast.”

Samantha & Astrid after tea decided they were tired too and went to their room.
Tanya, “You two ready also?”

“We need a tut,” said Astrid.

“Hugs all round then it is,” Tanya.

“Mum has invited the Baggins for breakfast Tanya.”

“I rather thought she might. I wonder who will get the bigger shock. I wonder what sort of job she did.” Meanwhile the car had been recovered. Alice looked in it and found cases full of clothing but they were all wet.

She decided to wash the lot. While emptying the cases she came across various documents and pictures.” Boss she was a companion to a child and now is looking for work she also has these old photos. No doubt now whose child she is.”

“Have the car cleaned & repaired.”

Alexis went down to see Frodo. “Hello Frodo we need some help up at the hall could you two come for breakfast. We have an unidentified hobbit that looks like she has run away from her parents. We found a wet suit case with these inside.”

Frodo, “May I look? Where is Baby now?”

Alexis, she is fast asleep with my daughters so it would be better if they were left until the morning.”

Frodo, “In that case we will be there in the morning.”

“Some time ago she had apparently met Saskia and was asking if she had met her famous father.”

In Caton just outside Scarborough there was a very distraught woman. “Why would Baby leave us like that?”

Jeff, “Well she was engaged as our daughter’s companion and she is getting married. I have an idea where she is heading. You were talking the other day about Hobbits and where you had seen a lot of them.”

“Everything she owned was gone.”
Jeff, “I know you are upset & I will make a call. She is not there yet but they have being interviewing for staff and one applicant did not show up.”

“Jeff we have to get across there in case she shows up she is too little to be driving that car safely.”

Jeff, “Pack a suitcase as we will be stopping the night Alexis knows we are coming.”

They set off for the 90-minute journey to Alexis’s home. As they pulled in they saw the smashed up mini in the courtyard.

Jeff, “If that is hers then she cannot be far behind.” Jeff rang the doorbell.

Alice answered it, “The family are expecting you sir.”

Alexis, “Yes Jeff we have Baby here. She was exhausted after walking quite a distance and after eating is a sleep with Astrid & Samantha.”

Jeff, “Elsa is pleased that Baby is safe and perhaps it is better if she stays here although to us she will always be special.”

Saskia, “Has our baby been with you for a long time?”

“She came to us when our daughter was born and acted as a big sister to her. Eventually though Baby became the little sister. We thought she was happy with us.”

Elsa, “I think I upset her with talking about the wedding and then about the hobbits living here.”

Saskia, “Sir I will tell you now she will not move from here. She found us and her father and great uncle also are residing here.”

Elsa, “It looks like I will be coming here often as I cannot go long without a dose of Baby, “

Saskia, “Baby is too small to do any decent job. However she is ideal as a playmate for Astrid & Samantha.”

Jeff, “Alexis can we tell her in the morning?”

The following morning. Baby awoke to find two small girls were hugging her. As she tried to extricate herself she awoke them.

Astrid, “I will show you were the bathroom is.” “We can go to toilet and clean our teeth but we have to wait for Tanya to turn the taps on and check the water is ok. I may be small but I have being doing that for some time.” All three of them had had a bath before Tanya came in. Tania noticed Baby had dressed the same as the other two.

Tanya, “Do you want to see the New Shire it is completed and all we need now is get the hobbits to staff it. We have two boy hobbits that live here but they do not come to the house often.”

Baby looked at Tanya and said, “Did you put me to bed?”

“I put all the children to bed you included. I presume you ran away from your mummy?”

Baby, “Tania I am a lot older and wiser than I look. People think I am a child & I actually will be older than you by a good few years.” “My old boss was very kind but the companion I had is now grown up and no longer needs me. I heard them mention there was some hobbit town being built here and they wanted real hobbits.”

“I telephoned up and was given an interview time. I put everything I owned into the little car and almost got here ok but some idiot with a sports car ran me off the road and thought it was funny”

Tanya, “Was it a big red one?”

“It was but it will have a purple stripe down the side where he hit me.”

Tanya, “That I can fix.” She telephoned the police and reported the accident to the police who wanted to come and inspect the car.”

Tanya, “If you go to Boyd Lobster at 33 Mallory drive you will find the car that caused the accident.” A short time later a police car came slowly up the drive.

Tanya, “This is the car. Other than the contents being taken out it has not been touched and you can see the red paint.”

The officer, “We will need to take this mini away for investigation but it looks like a hit and run to me.” Another officer was dispatched to Boyd’s home there he found the damaged car.

The officer knocked on the door and asked to speak to Boyd. His Mother answered, “He is in the pub drinking.” The village only had one pub and it was called the Racehorse.

“Mrs Lobster have you the keys to your son’s car? It was involved in an accident and he drove away.”

The mother, “When he goes drinking I insist he leaves the keys with me so both sets are here.” The officer made his way to the pub. The pub was quite busy.

The landlord, “On duty or have you time for a drink.”

“I am on duty & I have come here to arrest a miscreant for a hit and run incident. First as I have missed my breakfast so I will have a snack.” The landlord brought a full English breakfast and a mug of tea complements of the house.

“That miscreant would not be young Boyd? He has been bragging how he ran a little lady driving a purple mini off the road. He was cursing because his car is sporting a purple stripe. To be honest I cannot stand the lad.”

The officer “Any chance of me sitting in the booth behind them.”

The Landlord, “I do not know if it is legal or not but I made this.”

The officer listened to the CD, “Well it convinces me and apparently he is admitting to other offences including several robberies.”

The Officer also noted that his mates were also bragging about crimes they had committed. After eating he called for backup and said, “I need at least six officers.” Not long after the wailing of sirens could be heard in the dales, but Boyd and his mates did not realise they were the targets. As soon as his colleagues arrived the officer said, “Boyd I am arresting you for a hit and run.”

Boyd’s mates, “He was only having a bit of fun.”

“I am also arresting you and your accomplices for a string of robberies across the North of England.”

When forensic checked over Boyd’s car they found stolen jewellery and quite a lot of drugs in it. A short while later a senior office made his way to the manor and asked to speak with the person who had reported the accident.

“We have checked the mini over.” “It is a total wreck and will be an insurance write off. As you reported the accident and told us who it was you stand to receive a substantial reward.” As I speak now raids are going on at several addresses were we expect to find more drugs and stolen property. With this in mind the chief Constable has asked me to present you with this interim cheque. Thank you very much.”

Meanwhile Baby was having breakfast with the others. She looked up when Frodo & Bilbo came in for their breakfast. She looked at her locket and then ran across the room.

Frodo held his arms out and said, “Baby we have you home now.” Baby started to shake when she saw Jeff & Elsa.

Elsa, “Baby you had us worried when you left like you did.”

Jeff, “Elsa does not want to lose you but she realises you need to be around young children so she has agreed to lone you to Alexis or whoever needs a companion for their children. From what we understand you will have rather a busy time. Also our daughter would be mighty upset if her dear friend was not at her wedding as a bridesmaid.”

Baby looked at Frodo who said, “I have a nice quiet job giving pony rides.” “We will have plenty of time to talk and think how things could have been.”

Bilbo who up to now had not being paying much notice “Baby I never bothered to ask your friends names. Although I have seen the face before.”

Alexis, “Several of us look alike & it was me who interviewed you previously.”

“No it was a long time since.”
Frodo, “Uncle I have just realised what you mean. Apparently not all Elves sailed away as we thought.”

Bilbo approached Alexis, “Thank you my lady for restoring the Shire and giving my people a home. A long time ago you gave me this to kill the pain of the one ring. I no longer need it and you should have it back. You told me I would know when to return the ring.”

Frodo, “Lady I give to you & all your kin for all eternity the most precious thing I have my daughter Baby.”

As he spoke there was a flash of light and a glowing figure stood. "Frodo Baby is already mine and will care for my children. Baby you have no need to run. Elsa loves you as a daughter. I want you to care for all my children. There are four now but soon there will be many more.” Were my children are so will you be Baby.”

The glowing figure vanished. Tanya came into the room and said, “I have some good news and bad news.” Baby your little car is an insurance write off. Also we share in a reward for the information leading to the capturing of criminals.”

Alexis, “Baby I do not want you driving until we have a correctly adapted car for you.” Alexis turned to Frodo, “Your daughter has been engaged as companion and playmate to my daughters as such she will have to abide by the same rules as them.”

“Tanya this hobbit will accompany us when we return to our other home. She will be treated exactly like all the other children.”

Elsa, “Could Tanya drive the girls for their fittings.”

Alexis, “Elsa how would you like all five girls for a week?”

Astrid, “Oh no you don't. We have an important job coming up and we are not going away while you are in hospital.”

Even Elsa chuckled, “I would love to have them all for a week but not while you are in hospital because they will only fret.”

Baby, “Elsa I loved the job with you but it has come to an end. Your daughter is getting married and in the near future may need my services but for now my friend Alexis has found me a new job. If you want to play the part of my Grandma then I am sure we can come to some arrangement were you can take me shopping. Alexis I promise not to drive & I will let Tanya take me where I need to go. It was a struggle driving the mini here.”

Elsa, “Baby tires easily & so she drove the mini round the estate. I was never happy with her own adaptations but they seemed to work.”

Tanya, “It is a good job I removed them before the police arrived as they might have being doing Baby for driving a car in a dangerous state.”

Samantha, “Recently I got new legs, when I lost my legs I wondered if I would ever be allowed an electronic buggy.”

Alexis, “Sam you have solved the problem. We will ring up and find what is suitable.”

Alice said, “No need I have down loaded all the information here.”

Baby, “Tanya will you use some of my reward to buy me one of those?”

Angela, “Baby I would like you to promise us that you will not leave us? I also think we should buy Baby three buggies one for here, one for in the car and one for our other home.”

Alexis, “Angela I agree with you Baby should not have to spend her money.”

Tanya, “Elsa I take it Baby has already an account?” Elsa handed over a plastic card, “I always paid in her wages but she never needed to draw from it. Her clothing & food were part of her job.”

Baby thought for a moment and said, “Elsa I would love to go shopping with you & perhaps spend some of my money on things I would not normally buy. There is something I want to do and perhaps you can do it with me or some of the others can.”

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos