Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1871

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1871
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

It was bliss, total nirvana just the hot water and me. I suspect I might have emptied the hot water tank as I simply stood under the healing H2O and washed away my pains, my worries and my embarrassment.

They’d all had a good laugh at my impersonation of a freshly ploughed field and Simon had captured the moment for all the world to see on his Blackberry. I was so wrapped in my own misery that I didn’t really notice until later. I suppose I could wait until tonight to kill him.

I was just finishing in the shower when Trish banged on the door of the bathroom, “It’s Julie, she wants to talk to you.”

“I’m just getting out of the shower tell her.”

“She said it was important.”

I reluctantly swathed my hair in towel and wrapped another around me and went to the door, muttering to myself, ‘This had better be important’. Then of course I remembered they were in Salisbury and had they had an accident?

“Julie, what’s happened?”

“It’s Phoebe, she’s disappeared.”

“What d’you mean disappeared?”

“She wandered off just as we got here and she hasn’t come back.”

She used to live in Salisbury, “Let me get dressed, where are you?”

She told me and I quickly dried my hair, pulled it into a ponytail, threw on some clothes and grabbed my bag and jacket. Trish was waiting by the door with her coat and little back pack.

“What are you waiting for?” I asked as I walked past her.

“I thought you might need some help.”

“Oh did you now?”

“If you’re going to try and blue light her, you might need some help.”

I looked at her, this changeling was supposed to be eight years old, not twenty eight. “You’ll probably miss dinner.”

“I’ve got enough to buy a sandwich,” she said, sounding more like my sister than my daughter.

I told David we had to go out and could he save us two dinners for later.”

“Won’t Julie and Phoebe want one as well?”

“Sorry yes, save us four, will you.”

He nodded and we dashed out of the door. My stomach was rumbling as we jumped in the car and sped off towards Salisbury. It was twelve o’clock, no wonder it was playing up. I should have been sipping tea or diving into my dinner, not dashing north in a car.

“Slow down,” urged Trish.

“What?”

“Slow down, there’s a speed trap up ahead.”

I did more out of bemusement by her apparent skills than anything else, and sure enough, parked by the side of the road was one of the radar vans who catch unwitting motorists as they speed about the place.

“How did you know that was there?” I asked her once we’d passed the offending vehicle.

“I just did.” She giggled to herself.

“Okay, little miss smarty pants, how did you know that was there?”

“I got the app,” she giggled and flashed her phone at me.

I shook my head, I’m sure it’s illegal, so instead of arguing I got as far away from the area as possible. The traffic in Salisbury is awful at the best of times. At the worst it’s diabolical. We trundled round the ring road until I spotted the signs for London and A30. Some place on the left hand side of the road was where Julie and her friends were.

Twenty minutes later we’d got through the traffic and were parking outside the large salon which was hosting the event. I stuck the Jag alongside Tom’s Mondeo and Julie trotted out from the salon.

“How could you lose her in a place this size?” I nodded at the salon.

“It’s a lot bigger than it looks, it’s like the Tardis, you know–Dr Who’s...”

“I know what a Tardis is.”

“The place was full of people and we had a coffee when we got here and when we went to start the course, I couldn’t see her anywhere. I waited in case she was in the loo, then a bit later I checked them out, but she wasn’t to be seen anywhere–she must have walked off somewhere.”

“She used to live here, perhaps she spotted an old friend?”

“That was two hours ago, Mummy.”

“Have you tried calling her?”

“Course, tried texting her, too.”

“Okay, what time does this end?”

“Four.”

“Okay, well you stay here in case she comes back, besides you have to get your friends home. If she comes back, let me know immediately, if not you take your friends home and I’ll deal with it.”

“Where could she be?” Julie looked really worried.

“If I knew that, we wouldn’t have a problem, would we?”

“No, I s’pose not.”

I left Julie at her course and Trish and I went back to a petrol station we’d seen a mile or so back and I bought us each a sandwich and bottle of water. I think better on a full stomach.

I knew Phoebe had lived in Salisbury for most of her life and up until her mother died. Neal had sold the house so perhaps she’d gone to visit it, to deal with her grief. I called Simon and asked him to check my address book, five minutes later, hunger sated, we pulled up outside the house I’d only visited once before. I knew she wasn’t there, but we checked all the same.

Trish understood my reasoning and sighed, “Where else could she be?”

“I don’t know.”

“Her mum’s dead, isn’t she?”

“Yes, so she could hardly come to see her could she?” As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I knew they were wrong. I drove us back towards the salon, we passed a sign on the way which told me where I thought she was.

“Where are we going, Mummy?” asked Trish as we headed out of Salisbury on the A30. However, this time I slowed down indicating I was turning left. Trish was about to ask again but thought better of it.

“I’m testing a hunch I have, if I’m wrong, we’ll have to try something else.”

She smiled widely at that, the little minx.

A little further on I turned into the car park of the crematorium and Trish looked mystified. “Are you coming or staying in the car?” I asked pointlessly, because I knew she wouldn’t stay on her own and it’s illegal to leave youngsters in a car on their own.

“What are we doing here, Mummy?”

“Hush, just humour me, okay?”

The actual crematorium was closed, but one or two people milled about, some with flowers others perhaps just out for a walk on a nice sunny, Sunday afternoon.

It took the best part of half an hour to find her. She was kneeling down in a corner of the garden of remembrance talking to herself. There were tears on her face and her makeup was all smeared. I made Trish wait a little distance away as I walked towards Phoebe.

“I call Cathy, Mummy, Mum; I hope you don’t mind, but sometimes I need someone to hold me, like you used to when I’m scared, and she’s so nice. I couldn’t have stayed with Neal, I’d fight with him and Gloria, so Cathy came to my rescue and all her children are so nice to me, especially Julie and Sammi, who are like real sisters.

“I don’t know when I can come again, Mum, but I’ll try and bring you some flowers.” She looked up and saw me and I handed her the bunch of flowers I’d brought with me. “Thank you,” she said and burst into tears.

I hugged her and she cried on my shoulder for a few minutes. “How did you know where to find me?”

“It wasn’t difficult when I realised we were only down the road from the crematorium.”

“You brought flowers too?”

“We stopped at the garage down the road to get a sandwich and they had flowers. If you hadn’t been here, I’d have left them for your mum anyway, but it’s better that you do it. We’ll wait for you along the path.”

“Thank you, Mummy,” she said and went off to find a vase thing in which to put her flowers. I sent Julie a text to say we’d found her and would see her back at home. Half an hour later we were on our way back and I felt great relief that everyone was safe.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

i needed that

Maddy Bell's picture

a nice happyish conclusion

thanks Ang


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

a nice happy bike-a-sode!

yay! :) this cheered me up immensely!

 
 
 
Life is too short to not take chance at Happiness!

Phoebe needed that closure

Phoebe needed that closure with her Mum. Can't help but think that the Blue Light led Cathy and Trish to her with the flowers.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Even this old hard arse ...

... had to wipe an eye. You're an emotional blackmailer Anghard :)

It's funny how differently people think of loved ones who've died. I was calling on my Dad only this morning when I was struggling with a job in my workshop. I achieved some success after I'd used the penknife he always carried and its well-worn blade hasn't been resharpened since the last time he did it. He's been dead for over 20 years and I've never felt the need to visit the grave he shares with my mother who died nearly 70 years ago. They live in my head.

Robi

I know that Trish is older than her years

but she should try and enjoy some childhood.

Cathy doesn't always give herself credit for having, and using, female intuition.

S.

Sweet and compassionate

I guess Phoebe is now really a part of the family. She's explained it to her mum (and to herself).

Especially ...

when one considers the threat that's still possibly active from Brazil.

I can well imagine the relief Cathy felt at finding her; it's every parent/carer's nightmare.

Happy is the end where the end is happiness.

Still lovin' it Ang.

Thanks for the delight.

XX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Phoebe

could have told Julie where she was going and why, but then Julie and the rest of their friends would have wanted to come also.
Phoebe was probably aware that is what would happen, so she went alone to speak privately at her mother's grave, to her mother about what was happening, why, and how she felt about it. Phoebe is getting rid of some of her demons, or at least starting. She needed that time alone at the grave site, just as Tom needs time at a couple of grave sites he visits.
I hope Phoebe and Cathy have a nice quiet talk about this after they get home and have a chance to be alone for that talk. Perhaps seeing Phoebe's point of view will help Cathy as she begins to face her demons.

A nice tearful pleasant ending to this part of the story, Bonzi and Co.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Hmmm personally I think it is time

... for Cathy to have a little chat with Phoebe's mother.

Just to clear the air I think.

Kim

That was very touching

I just cried my eyes out. Bit annoying really - waking up in the middle of the night from the usual nightmare (WW2, London, The Blitz, Being dug out of the ruins of our house, bits of severed limbs in the street burning....) get up and switch on my favorite website, pop into favorite Author 's never ending story, and she makes me cry.

Makes me feel better after though.

Thank you, Angharad.

Oh and you as well, Pussycat.

Briar

Best episode

I think this is one of your best, and most heartful, episodes.

Neal is her bio father?

And his care of her was sufficent to make her feel unwelcome? The prig.

G

Neal

AFAIK, Neal is her brother, recently married.

I can understand Phoebe's reluctance to want to go and live with him.

Personal Situations

I firmly believe

that Trish thoroughly enjoys being the aged trickster she really is. App my heinie.

I say this all too rarely,cos

I say this all too rarely,cos I'm lazy, wonderful episode as usual.
Anna
x

Anna

MaMa

A single word that packs so much. I know it is so hard being a mama hen keeping track of such a large brood. But our Catherin does it so very well. How she handles thing speaks volumes about the character of the writer of this fine tail, you can not write it if you do not know it, Thank for the inspiration Angharad you are a Gem of a person.

Happy Holidays

Huggles

Misha

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif