Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 12 "Scotland Yard"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Twelve

 
 

"Scotland Yard"

 
 
Friday 26th December - Boxing Day
 

No-one was in a hurry to be the first downstairs, but they were all due at the McPherson house for lunch. One of the logistical problems at the cottage was the singular bathroom, Tammy decided that she'd shower back at the house so dressed simply, after washing, knowing she would change for dinner later regardless.

Angela made an effort once she was out of the bathroom and decided to use her new breast forms, although had to reluctantly ask Tammy for a hand with adjusting her bra straps; it was very clear that Angela still wan't comfortable being partly clothed around others.

Finally by eleven o'clock they were all ready to drive over. Unfortunately that meant some exercise in digging out Richard's car. Of greater concern, however, were several foot prints that could be seen in the snow near to the cottage. These weren't close enough to trigger the security lights, but Tammy decided to take several photos with her phone, showing Angela how to do the same.

"Why are we taking these?"

"In case we need them later, they might have disappeared by the time you get back, or even more will be here?"

"Oh."

Tammy and Joan checked all the windows and locks before they left the cottage, whilst Richard cleared the car windows. One light and a radio were was left on indoors; these were Tammy's ideas.

It was nearly eleven thirty by the time they arrived at the house, Tammy went straight up to her room to prepare herself, nearly bowling over Leanne.

"Sorry, Miss."

"No, I'm the one who should be sorry."

Tammy escaped from that conversation before it turned silly, as soon as her bedroom door was closed she started shedding clothes on the way to the bathroom.

She'd resisted the idea of glueing her own breast forms in place, so was frequently able to check her own chest for signs of development. Tammy was convinced she'd have her own orbs by Easter and was a little upset that nothing appeared to be happening. She worked out she'd been taking the pills for exactly two weeks now, just how long did it take?

It was half past twelve when she floated down the stairs in a chiffon dress, an internet purchase on the spur of the moment. The comments ranged from "wow" to "" as mouths opened and closed without uttering a word. The entire image screamed 'girl'.

With the shock out of the way she mingled. All bar one of the McPherson clan were there, as he was otherwise detained, plus guests Sarah and Emily - they had kept quiet about their invite - and, of course, the Smarts and the Smalls.

The lunch was delightful, the standard Boxing Day fayre of cold meats, cheeses, salads. Wine was on the table but most partook of the non-alcoholic fruit punch that the kitchen had prepared.

Of course, some conversations turned to the events of the previous night, which made Tammy feel a little insecure, Richard and Elsie did their best to swing the chat to other topics.

Eventually, around four, the group started to dissipate. Sarah wanted a quick word with Tammy.

"Are you available tomorrow?"

"I think so, but I don't know about transport."

"Aren't you due driving lessons?"

"Yes, but I don't know when they're starting, plus there's the small matter of the test and buying a car before I'm fully independently mobile."

"How about I pick you up at eight fifteen?"

"That early?"

"Yes, I want to open at nine. Also, could you help me on Sunday with the sale stock?"

"I thought that could be after the New Year?"

"I've now decided to do it in stages, some stock will be reduced from Monday but other items will wait until the new year."

"Okay, I'll have to talk to Dad but assume I'll be ready in the morning."

Looking around the room, as Sarah left, Tammy still didn't understand what was going on with Elsie. The previous night Elsie had been really concerned about what was going on but today she was quiet and withdrawn, perhaps her dad could help, later, maybe?

As the party split Tammy managed to hand out the little presents she'd bought for many of them, mostly symbolic. She had received a few gifts as well, but most knew that Tammy either had what she wanted or could afford to buy it without hesitation.

The mid and late evening was mostly spent in her room communicating electronically with the other late teenage girls she knew in Thurso, including the newly-online Angela.

 
 
Saturday 27th December
 
Tammy looked around her room as she exited the bathroom, she'd only been living in the McPherson house for little over a month but already her room had changed in look and feel. Some of the gifts she'd received were trinkets or items that a teenage girl should have, mostly items that Tammy had never previously encountered.

She had been given a case for her earrings, for example, useful now that she had also gained a few new sets of studs and loops. There was a book, "The Teenage Girl's Survival Guide", that should be read soon, very soon, then passed to Angela.

Tammy was so engrossed in the bits and pieces that she almost forgot she was supposed to be dressed, breakfasted and ready to leave by eight fifteen. It was now half an hour before then and she was still wearing a towel.

***

"Hey Tammy, I've been waiting for ages."

"It's only been five minutes."

"Maybe, but I have a store to open and the roads are not brilliant this morning. You can finish sorting yourself out when we get down there."

"Okay, but I do need a wee first and might as well sort out my face ......"

***

"Hi Mum, where have you been? It's nearly nine o'clock."

"You'd best ask Tammy that, if I paid her to be here I might be docking her pay today."

"So where is she?"

"At the bakery picking up essential supplies. Oh, Emily, can you get around there and make sure she's safe? I forgot about the other night."

"Yes, Mum."

Tammy had reached the bakery door before she realised she was on her own, contrary to her father's advice. If someone knew where she was living then there was a good chance they'd also know where she schooled, worked, and found those lovely pastries.

The bakery was empty, although the lights were on. As the door closed behind Tammy she started to get worried, it may only have taken Debbie a few seconds to come from the rear of the bakery, but it seemed longer.

Tammy was relieved to see Debbie but visibly jumped when she heard the street door open. Spinning around Tammy found Emily; she started to cry.

"Tammy, it's okay."

Debbie had come from behind the counter and was comforting the distraught girl.

"When mum told us about it on Christmas Eve we were so worried, we'll find out who's responsible and make their life hell, won't we Emily?"

"We'll try, but I won't be here for many more days, I'm heading back to Dundee for Hogmanay. My Mum was concerned so sent me after Tammy."

"Right, find yourself a tissue and let's sort out your order, then Emily will walk you back."

"It's so unfair that I can't do anything on my own."

"It'll only be for a few days, maybe less."

"How do you know? We think they've tracked me from London."

"Not locals, or Scottish villains then?"

"No, from Eastern Europe." They didn't know how to answer that revelation.

Tammy finally gave her order but by now other customers had arrived. Debbie quickly finished off the order so Tammy and Emily could make their way back. By this time Sarah had opened the shop and had her first customers of the weekend. There was also a new poster in the window, as well as several other locations around the store.
 

Sarah's Boutique Sale!

 

The morning was ticking over in the shop but there wasn't much spending going on. The most common enquiry was "when is the sale starting?" followed closely by "how much will this be reduced by?".

It was just after one when PC St James arrived at the shop, accompanied by a man in a suit.

"Miss Smart, could we have a word, in private?"

"Officer, I may know you but not this gentleman?" She looked around at Sarah.

"I have to agree with Tammy, she goes nowhere. Tammy, call your father."

"Miss Smart, Mrs Bonney, this gentleman is from London. I have seen his credentials."

"And I haven't. I suggest that if you wish to speak to me you do so at my current address with others present, otherwise you've wasted a journey up here. I shall be free from five o'clock."

Stuart St James nodded and walked from the store with the stranger. Tammy felt empowered but, who was that man? She had reason to trust the police officer but why was this suit unprepared to say who he was, or who he worked for? She'd seen enough television drama plus the odd spy film to know that people like that did exist, and often did not tell the truth over their motives.

This put a dampener on the afternoon, what remained of it. Sarah offered to run Tammy back at four thirty but she called her father and asked that he arranged her transport.

When he did turn up at the shop there was a lady with him.

"Tammy, we're parked just around the corner, I'll introduce you to Louise properly in a bit."

"Okay."

"Just stay close."

Tammy took a look at her father's companion, she was older than Tammy, mid twenties probably, about five foot nine tall and a blonde, natural or otherwise.

Louise took position behind Tammy with her father alongside. His Landrover wasn't far away so they reached it within a minute, although both Richard and Louise were constantly looking all around. Once at the car Tammy was asked to hop into the rear whilst Louise took the front passenger seat.

"Now Tammy, I've decided we need to have some protection so Louise will be with us for a few days."

"Hi Tammy, if you leave the house then I'll be with you, even if your father or someone else is with you."

"Hello Louise, but is this necessary?"

"Yes, unfortunately, we'll talk back at the house."

Tammy opted to head for her room to freshen before joining her father and Louise in the study. PC St James and the suit were admitted by Thomas and directed to join them. Richard closed the door after everyone else was seated, then spoke.

"PC St James, could you first please explain why my daughter was accosted in Mrs Bonney's clothes store earlier, and who on earth is our mystery man? I would advise you that the lady with us is a close protection agent, brought on board by myself today."

"Firstly, Mr Smart, my apologies but I was led to believe that the matter was very urgent given that my Chief Inspector contacted me personally. I think it's best if our visitor from England explains himself."

All eyes now turned to the suit.

"Good afternoon everyone, I'm Detective Inspector Kevin Edmunds from the Counter Terrorism Unit at New Scotland Yard."

"Okay DI Edmunds, why the theatrics earlier?"

"Mr Smart, my presence here could cause problems if it were to become known."

Tammy decided to respond. "DI Edmunds I believe you've already blown that argument, acting like a spook in a clothing store surrounded by townswomen is not the best way to keep a low profile."

Richard continued, "The way you tried to face down my daughter means that most of the teenage population will by now be asking about you. Well done, this is not anonymous London."

"Perhaps, but if we can continue this discussion?"

He paused.

"Miss Smart, I believe you became involved in the apprehension of Alban Berisha?"

"Yes, at Brent Cross."

"Can you describe what happened?"

There wasn't much to say, but Tammy attempted to keep Angela's name out of it.

"Had you met him before?"

"No, but we did drive past his car the previous day, even though we didn't know it at the time. I didn't know his name then, his alias was 'Freddy' I was told."

"You also had an altercation with your mother?"

"I wouldn't call it that, she just wasn't expecting anyone to be at the house, especially not me."

"Inspector, I have to agree with Tammy, there was no fight or argument, just a discussion. My solicitor was present throughout."

"He's my solicitor too." Added Tammy.

"Thank you, I'm just trying to establish the basics. Could you tell me, in your own words, what happened here on Christmas Eve?"

Tammy retold her story; Louise was listening intently, she'd only heard Richard's account of the attempted abduction.

"That's all of it, but I guess you've already read my statement? Did you manage to find an Albanian interpreter?"

"How would you know?" Tammy just shrugged and smiled.

"Anyway, what has been established is that he is from the same village, near Tirana, as Berisha, it would appear that one or more of his brothers is also in the UK and possibly in Scotland."

"Those cigarette butts at the cottage?" Richard was becoming concerned.

"They were identified as an Albanian brand. We're now looking at a much bigger picture, we believe Berisha was here to pay for the sabotage."

"The air traffic system?" Asked Tammy.

"What about Tara?" Asked Richard.

"Yes, and Mr Smart, we've been unable to contact your ex-wife. She may be in trouble."

"I tried to call her on Christmas Day."

"We know."

"Great, my mobile's bugged!"

"No, Mr Smart, we simply ran a check against any number that had called her, or been called by her, in the past month. Your daughter's phone also featured in that list. Would you know where your wife may have gone or what funds she has access to?"

"Have you tried her solicitor?"

"He's no longer representing her, apparently."

"She has more friends in Switzerland than here but she may have gone to her sister's near Canterbury?"

"We checked, the place is empty."

"They also have an apartment in Docklands, near Mudchute DLR station." He passed over the address, copied from his notebook.

"Thank you."

"Now, what about our security? Why are they after my daughter?"

"If we can't locate your ex-wife then there's a good chance they can't either. Unfortunately it's likely that she would able to identify some of the gang? Therefore, in her absence, they might try using Miss Smart as a bargaining tool."

"So, Tammy's at risk?"

"Yes, so is everyone else close to you."

"Until when?"

"Until we've found Mrs Smart and detained the gang."

"Will you be offering us any assistance with security?"

"It looks like you have that covered."

"That's not what I meant, as PC St James knows."

"Mr Smart, we'll increase vehicle patrols past here and the school, plus raise our presence in town, Chief Inspector Brown has issued instructions to that effect but we can only do so much."

"Thank you. I also understand you have a shotgun taken from the gamekeeper here on Christmas Eve?"

"It's with our ballistics team, I'll see if it can be returned, because of the stags obviously."

"Indeed."

There was a knock on the door, followed by Elsie walking in.

"There's a problem at the cottage, Joan just called then the phone went dead!"

Almost everyone went for vehicles, but Tammy was warned by Richard, and Louise, to stay where she was.

"Elsie, I can't do anything at the moment!"

"Come into the sitting room dear, it may not be anything." As she spoke those words a siren was heard disappearing down the drive towards the road. Tammy sat with Elsie but was quiet for a minute or two whilst she thought.

"But what's going wrong with everything? Just over a week ago I was happy, most of the horrible things were behind us and I was looking forward to going back to school. Now, someone tries to grab me, it seems to be connected to the airport problems somehow and now mum's involved."

"Tammy, look at it this way, you have made a major change to your life which was accepted by 99% of those you've come across, your legal status caught up remarkably quickly plus the blood tests identified a potential medical problem that's now being addressed. What that means is that you're healthy, sane and as normal as the rest of us."

"I suppose so."

"Now, school awaits you and that's a safe environment. You have plenty of friends who look out for you, not just in this house but in the town too. You're respected, you were a hit on the stage and you're now getting party invites - how much of that was true as recently as November?"

"Very little. So, what's the negatives?"

"Not as much as you might think, judging by what I've heard. But, you tell me."

"Well, it looks like this Albanian in London was mixed up in rather more than money laundering and drug smuggling. His gang are trying to get to mum through me, Dad or whoever. He may have been involved in the air traffic control sabotage too but that wasn't directed at me personally, was it?"

"No it wasn't. It would also seem that the police are actively involved, you did know that the Chief Inspector is Iain Davison?"

"From the theatre? I don't remember being told."

"Well, I'd be surprised if he isn't going to help - especially if he wants you for the next production?"

Tammy was now sounding a bit better, until her phone rang.

"Yes Dad?"

"Please let Elsie know a stag took out the telephone line, that's the noise Joan heard outside before the call ended suddenly. However, there was also someone creeping around here but they went off in a car when the police turned up."

"Okay Dad, how long are you going to be?"

"Long enough to make sure Joan and Angela are safe. I'll call BT to report the fault, I might be able to persuade them to deal with it as a priority."

"That's a good idea."

She repeated the conversation to Elsie who was now smiling.

"You see dear, it's all getting sorted out."

"I suppose so. Now, forgive me for asking, but are you feeling alright at the moment?"

"I have a few issues Tammy, but it's nothing to be concerned about. How about you pop upstairs and be down in twenty for dinner?"

"Yes, Elsie."

***

Richard spoke to Tammy after dinner, he had been called away from the table by a phone call.

"The police caught up with the guy who was near the cottage, he claims to be an Italian tourist who was lost."

"A likely story!"

"Exactly, the Police are hoping they can match his DNA to the cigarettes but that will take some time. For now they'll interview him in the morning, DI Edmunds is hanging around for a few days it seems."

"What about Joan?"

"The BT callcentre was on the other side of the world and working from a script so I escalated it until I had someone in this country. At first he thought the idea of a stag taking down the line as amusing, then I told him Met Police Special Branch were protecting the cottage he sort of changed his tune."

"So that did it?"

"No, he accused me of stretching the truth."

"Well, DI Edmunds is part of anti-terrorism, isn't me?"

"Yes, but that department was merged with Special Branch a few years ago, so both titles apply. Anyway, I told the guy on the phone he could call Thurso's Chief Inspector and confirm the arrangements."

"So?"

"He went off to speak to someone then came back and said a repair team would be there in the morning."

"Poor Angela, she's only just jumped onto the internet and then loses it!"

"I think you may have misplaced your concerns."

up
432 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

arrgh!

Perched on the edge of my seat, so much is happening!

Seems as if every thing is

Seems as if every thing is getting deeper and deeper in mystery and involvement into Tammy's new life. Hopefully nothing happens to either her, her Dad or any of their friends who associate with the two of them.

Seems as if every thing is

Seems as if every thing is getting deeper and deeper in mystery and involvement into Tammy's new life. Hopefully nothing happens to either her, her Dad or any of their friends who associate with the two of them.

Seems as if every thing is

Seems as if every thing is getting deeper and deeper in mystery and involvement into Tammy's new life. Hopefully nothing happens to either her, her Dad or any of their friends who associate with the two of them.

Interconnected

enb4448's picture

If these stories get any more interconnected, you may need to consider combining them. loving it.

"I think you may have misplaced your concerns."

Podracer's picture

Either Richard has turned his sense of humour a little oblique or perhaps turned it off.. Anyway, doesn't he know how vital that little wire is for updating one's Status at least every 30 minutes? Pfft - old people have no clue these days ;)

"Reach for the sun."

New Story?

joannebarbarella's picture

Tamara's Unaccounted Gains? You are really going to have to do some skilful juggling with these two stories becoming so interwoven.

I am now just about caught up on this one and I'm right abreast of "Gains", so like everyone else, I'll have to wait for you to write the next episodes instead of just pressing the button. So....come on....hurry up, no slacking!

The plot gets thicker and thicker!

gillian1968's picture

Things are definitely escalating.
I'm definitely going to have to catch up on Unaccounted Gains!!!

Gillian Cairns

Alternatively...

My name is Tamara Smart. You killed my best friend's Internet. Prepare to die!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Putting the fat into the fire

Jamie Lee's picture

Someone has put Tammy's fat into the fire, shaking up a lot of people. And drawing unwanted attention to themselves.

These Eastern European folks aren't in an area where people close their shutters, or look the other way when there's trouble on the hoof. They are in an area where people know each other, or of each other, and will not stand around like deer caught in headlights. Those folks have come to the wrong area to do their business and/or grab someone. More so with the Smart's, Small's, and McPherson's. These people will take steps to protect each other, and do so with a vengeance.

Wonder how many more attempts at one of the family members are going to be attempted before they finally end up in a pine box or go away?

Others have feelings too.

Just got on line

And now loses it. A girl, especially a young teen (she's only a month or so old),has to have her priorities. I know I can get a bit crazy if I have router problems, or there is no guest wi-fi, and that's just to read. People born in the 80's on, and especially the new generation live on line and social media. Wait until there's a power outage and cell towers go dead! At least with the old AT&T and a land line, the power came through the phone lines so at least you weren't cut off totally. I've read it before and have a good but not total picture of what is to come, but they need to get serious before someone gets hurt.