Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2823

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2823
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I didn’t get to read my book, that wretched woman kept on talking, as we’d already got more than half way I did a little name dropping. “I met Sir David Attenborough the other day.”

“What the chap off the TV—does the nature programmes?”

“Yes, him.”

“What’s he like?”

“Given he’s over eighty, amazing. He also possesses a charm which puts you at your ease immediately.”

“How did you get to meet him?”

“I did the Christmas lecture at the university which is open to every member of staff, students or invited guests. My old prof invited him and he did the vote of thanks.”

“You got a vote of thanks from David Attenborough? That must have been exciting.”

“I knew nothing about it until he stood up and began speaking. I nearly collapsed in shock—he’s my all time hero.”

“And you got to meet him?”

“We took him to lunch.”

“I’ll bet that was fun.”

“Fun and nerve-racking. Suddenly, I got to meet this man I’d idolised ever since I was a girl and not only that but we’re having lunch together. Turns out my old prof used to be a technical expert for some of his programmes so they knew each other quite well and when he was going to be in the area, Tom asked him to come and do the vote of thanks. He was very complimentary.”

“Well you done those two programmes on mousey things, din’you?”

“Dormice and harvest mice.”

“That’s the ones. Seen any lately?”

“Only in the university, we breed them for release into the wild.”

“So some of them in the wild ain’t really wild?”

“The chances are their mothers were but were possibly too small to survive a winter hibernation.”

“How big they gotta be then?”

“At least fifteen grams, preferably more.”

“That’s like the weight of a bag of crisps.”

Funny she should know that, I didn’t. Dormice crisps—pul-ease.”

“Dormice crisps,” she tittered for a moment. Didn’t they used to have hedgehog crisps?”

“I think it was a joke by Walkers.”

“No, I saw them in the shops a few years ago.”

“They weren’t flavoured with hedgehog, that was just a publicity stunt cum hoax.”

“Thank goodness for that, I wouldn’t have been able to look myself in the eye if I had eaten hedgehog—they’re such lovely, cuddly creatures.”

“They’re covered in spines and full of fleas and ticks.”

“Oh don’t say that, I’ll never think of Mrs Tiggywinkle in quite the same light again.”

Beatrix Potter has a lot to answer for, she was however a serious botanical illustrator and i have a book at home she did the illustrations for, on fungi. She lived up in the Lake District near Keswick.

“Sorry to shatter your illusions.”

“I had a soft toy one when I was a youngster, used to take it everywhere until I dropped it in the road and it got flattened.”

How I kept a straight face I’ll never know, but it just struck me on the funny bone that motor vehicles are one of the biggest causes of hedgehog mortality and she had a toy one that got flattened by a car.

“When I was in school I did a survey of road casualties in our part of Bristol, that was mainly hedgehogs, badgers and foxes.”

“Badgers in a city?”

“Yes, parts of Bristol are quite suitable habitats for badgers. In some of the bigger houses there are small woodlands in the gardens, the gardens are that big.”

“In the city?”

“Not in the city centre but in places like Clifton and Whitchurch.”

“Coo, better than Portsmouth then?”

“Let’s face it, Pompey is limited by being an island, so land is at a premium.”

“And Bristol is a quite a size with several large parks and communal areas, sports areas and that sort of thing, plus it has three or four motorways running through or around it, their banks are untouched by man and badgers and foxes, even deer inhabit them.”

“You’re so clever.” I suppose I was compared to her, then so was Kiki. Thankfully, we arrived at London before things got any further down the cringeworthy scale and I was able to escape as the hordes struggled to get off the platforms and we were separated. I grabbed a cab and headed for the hotel which is in Park Lane and overlooks part of Hyde Park. It’s one of the most prestigious in the world and owned by the Sultan of Brunei, it’s also one of the most expensive and I was very glad Simon didn’t suggest we went dutch.

The_Dorchester_Hotel_in_London_Mayfair,_England_United_Kingdom_(4579989922).jpg

(photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

I entered the main door and went to reception, the case was getting heavy but no one seemed in a hurry to help a damsel in distress. I finally got the attention of the receptionist who looked at me with some disgust. I was wearing jeans and trainers with a Barbour coat over the top. “Yes, can I help you, modom?” she said with a plum in her voice.

“Yes, my husband booked a room here for tonight.”

She looked at me with incredulity, I obviously didn’t look well enough upholstered to be able to afford a room there.

“What name?”

“Cameron.”

“Are you sure it was Cameron, I can’t find see anything on the register?”

I sighed, I was all for getting the cab back to Waterloo and the train home. “Try Stanebury, as in Viscount.”

She did a double take. “You’re Lady Stanebury?”

“One of them, yes.”

“One? How many are there then?” This was bordering upon insolence and I felt like saying, ‘What business of yours is it?’

Instead, I actually said, “Three, my mother in law who is the Countess, my sister in law who is the Lady Stella and I’m Catherine. Satisfied?”

“Yes of course, Lady Catherine, sorry for any misunderstanding, your family have a suite booked for this evening, I’ll get you a porter.”

The rooms were very nice, a bit quaint but comfortable and after a cup of tea I went and bathed before starting to get ready. It was seven and we were due to be down in the basement for eight. Simon dashed in with Henry and Monica as I was doing my makeup. I was sitting in a wrap at the dressing table when Simon walked over pecked me on the cheek and began disrobing on the way to the shower. Henry and Monica called hello and went into their room.

“So where’s this five thousand pound gown?” said Simon as he emerged from the bathroom with a towel round his waist.

“I’m not sitting round in it, so wait and see.”

He shook his head, “It had better be worth it.”

“Why, what are you going to do about it?”

“Take that bloody card off Stella.”

“You said that before.”

“Did I, make us a cuppa, there’s a good girl,” and he disappeared into the bathroom to shave or I assumed that was what I could hear buzzing away. I filled the kettle and switched it on, then went across to Henry and Monica to see if they wanted a cuppa. They did.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Merry Christmas

Hi Angharad,

nice to see a bike this morning.

regards
Amanda

Walked by the Dorchester

littlerocksilver's picture

... several times, but never stayed there. We've been fortunate to stay at the Goring as their guests. We couldn't afford it otherwise. I hope the dress didn't get destroyed during the trip.

Portia

You didn't?

I stay at the Dorchester every time we go up to town. I thought everyone of note did but then, there's no understanding you Americans. :)

Truly, I think I'd need to take out a mortgage on our house to stay at the Dorchester for a night. We always stay at the youth hostel opposite the British Library on the very, very rare occasions we slum it in London, and we aint exactly youthful.

Robi

Don't need to go there

Angharad's picture

I live in the place it's named after or its predecessor, as it was built on the site of Dorchester House. Apparently the group from Brunei who own it operate as the Dorchester Collection. We have a local car dealer who operates under the same title but at least he's in Dorchester.

Angharad

Gad, I must get dressed !!!

At least my day was made complete by getting to read this epi. It takes me yonks to avoid looking like an old dragon these days. No one is saying I look in my 30's any more.

Nice topper to my day.

Gwen

The Dorchester

I have walked by the Dorchester several times on my way back to the Travelodge ,I can but dream .

devonmalc

Stayed at a hotel in the Kensington area recently

Near Hyde Park at least.

Nice job giving Brown Cow a bit of education. Good job handling the hotel staff although the way celebrities dress these days I'd expect hotel staff to be very careful who they diss.

Please don't tell me they

Please don't tell me they only brought Cathy along to make cuppas for everyone? :-)
Once stayed on the floor and in the suites generally reserved for use by the President of the US when he was in Spokane, WA. Found the rooms to be no more, nor pretty much any better than the other suites on the other floors. All of the others in the group I was with felt the same way.
As the job I and they had required lots of hotel stays during the month, we were working from some knowledge in that aspect. We actually got the rooms for $60.00 dollars a night, and were informed that when "high rollers" such as the President or some other persons stayed in the rooms, they were being charged $1500.00 to $2,000.00 dollars a night.
Don't know how our Agency secretary pulled off that little coup, but she did.

“… make us a cuppa, there’s a good girl,”

Rhona McCloud's picture

Simon does like to live dangerously. There isn’t a man who knows me that would have the nerve to talk to me like that and I don’t have Cathy’s body count.
Thank you for the Christmas post Angharad - must run now as it is BBQ time, here in the antipodes at GMT+13.

Rhona McCloud

THANKS

Thanks for an other year of absorbing reading. Merry Christmas & God Bless Known the Peace, Another Brian

Merry Christmas Rhona, Everone must be full of dinner by now

Good thing Henry and Monica are next door, other wise Simon may have a surprise coming otherwise.
Cathy got a little back at Brown-Cow. I thought the troll at the desk may be turned into a pillar of salt, must be the season
.064.JPG

Cefin

I suspect a casual comment

by Cathy about their service could get some staff in trouble. They really ought to know better. Rich people are people, they don't always have to be snobs.