Tammy's Summer Diary - Part 3 "Cloaks and Daggers"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Summer Diary - A Tommy & Tamara Interlude

 

Sunday 12th July

Dear Diary,

Jo warned us last night that Heather was still recovering from surgery but I wasn't told what it was. The upshot was that she wasn't driving very far and had to frequently rest. We were told to never go to her room, even if she was needed on the phone.

That worried me, I mean she looks okay but is tired at times. Suzie didn't seem fazed, but at least I now know why she's here. With Heather being a part timer, she won't be available to put me through the real training. The plan is Suzie stays for a week but Jenny's allowed her to stay for two just in case. We'll work some real cases and report back to Jenny.

Today was just about settling in, Heather gave Jo the day off as Suzie and I would help out. It also meant we could talk about work stuff without being overheard.

Heather brought me up to date with things that had been going on, then told me she was recovering from GRS. I was so amazed, I just wouldn't have guessed. Suzie already knew so was smirking at me! So Heather tells me about her surgery but Suzie has to leave the room in a hurry.

I told her I thought I could have mine done in the winter but was thinking of putting it off - but if I didn't get the second signature then all bets were off.

She told me the Royal Navy arranged her surgery and their shrinks cleared her. I had guessed the answer already but I wondered when she knew I was TG? Last December apparently!

So I was wondering about my recovery and she said I was young and fit, I'd get over the surgery faster than her, especially as she'd had a tumour to deal with at the same time.

Heather told us the sad tale of a Syrian refugee who had perished next to her car in the local Tesco carpark. Heather had been asked to attend the inquest, which was in about two weeks time in Truro.

It took some time but eventually I spotted an engagement ring on her finger, I demanded details! Heather said that she'd seen Sophie for a few days and had proposed as soon as Sophie was back here. They'd gone shopping for rings the next day. I was so pleased for them, they've been a couple all the time I've known them.

So I asked about the wedding, Heather told me that they're working on it but Sophie is away much of the time at the moment. Given that Sophie spent two weeks in Scotland and then two more weeks with me near London I know how true that is.

So they're trying to arrange it in August. Then Heather asked me to be a bridesmaid!

I could see that Suzie could have been a bit jealous but she has to be back in London in two weeks, latest. Both Suzie and I have to be in Glasgow on the 25th of August for our dress fitting, don't know how we're going to do that yet.

Suzie told Heather about my problems at Glasgow Airport so Heather sent me into the office to write a report for Jenny. That took until lunchtime.

It was very warm, far too warm for a wee lass used to Scottish weather. There was no point in cooking a roast dinner so I barbecued some mackerel on the grill, hopefully doing a better job than my father would have done, no disrespect intended if he ever reads this diary!

I fell asleep in the garden and missed the clearing up duties, but was a little red when I woke as I'd forgotten sun lotion. I grabbed a shower to cool down then rejoined Heather and Suzie.

We chatted about my school, family and friends. Suzie knew most personally and Heather knew many through my reports. Heather rang for a pizza around six and I was in bed by nine, shattered.

Monday 13th July

I did more than catch the sun yesterday, my first full day in Cornwall of the summer. Jo was there this morning and found some after sun lotion for me, I really should get some.

There was a reply from Jenny. My full identity pack for Beccy Adams wasn't ready in time for my side trip to Glasgow but would have been if we'd come straight here from London. It'll arrive by courier later.

Apparently I passed my training, at least this phase of it. Considering all the stress they put me through I really aren't sure I'd done as good as I could? I finished the morning by being shown where everything was in the office, including the weapons.

I'd passed on the range but that was all. I didn't have a licence, or certificate, or whatever it was and I'm pretty sure that if I take one of those guns outside I'll be arrested! Part of the training was to stress how I wouldn't have a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card I could wave around with impunity.

If I committed a crime I could be prosecuted for it, this was not how it looked in the films.

We went for a walk in the afternoon, I needed a few bits of clothing that I'd forgotten. I really hadn't considered how warm it could be, or that I might need to cover my arms if, when, they got burnt. Heather told us about her taxi driver incident as we walked down the hill.

Heather seemed to take it calmly but I don't know how I would have coped. I've come close to being kidnapped but got out of it just in time, she was locked in a car with a fake taxi driver intent on robbery or worse.

Between that and the Syrian, I do wonder how she keeps using Tesco? I spotted signs for a Co-Op supermarket as well, would that be safer? We're not far from the station so I could hear the trains coming through.

Heather said she had a hospital check-up next Monday and suggested I went along with her. Suzie might be back in London and, anyway, isn't comfortable talking medical stuff. If I'm going to have the surgery done then I suppose it makes sense. Later, when Suzie was showering, Heather told me about dilating, that I was NOT looking forward to.

So we wandered around the supermarket, spending far too much time in the clothing section. I picked up some more shorts and a pair of sandals, before realising I would need a frock for Heather and Sophie's wedding and a different one for the hen night. I had one formal dress with me, just in case, but wasn't certain it would be suitable.

As we headed for the tills, a woman tried to walk out the door pushing a trolley load of electrical items, bypassing the cashiers. The security alarm went off and the woman started running, but proving that the trolleys were not built for speed. The one security guard went after her, except her wig came off! I wanted to help but Heather held onto me, reminding me not to get involved unless there was no genuine alternative.

Dave Brown had said the same to me, I could be a better observer if I only observed.

The man, he was definitely a man, tripped on his heels in the carpark and landed heavily. It was an easy stop for the guard and a store manager who'd joined in. A couple of minutes later uniformed officers were on the scene and another incident ended without my input. I could get used to this.

Somehow I just couldn't see Suzie becoming involved. We'd spent that time together at Easter but we hadn't done any more than watch what was going on.

We walked back with our shopping, Jo told us we'd just missed a courier and there was a package for me in the office. Suzie joined me, she told me to leave my own stuff in the safe and just carry the Beccy Adams documents while I was down. Apparently I could spend with the Debit Card and it would be deducted from any salary I earned.

What I was worried about, was what address Beccy lived at? The fake driving licence answered that one, it was an address in Redhill, Surrey. Suzie said it was used for various purposes but so far as Beccy was concerned, it was home. I had to remember the address in case I was ever asked it, any real mail for me would be forwarded, she said.

There wasn't an equivalent for my press card so I guess Beccy wasn't a trainee journalist. Instead she was a student at London School Of Accountancy & Business Studies. What a mouthful! At least I knew the subject matter.

Suzie explained again that I would be marked on how many times I gave my name or real details in public until I flew to Glasgow in a months time. That meant she was to be Sarah in public, this could get confusing.

Heather received a phone call late afternoon, shutting the office door while she took it. Jo was told to make up the last guest room for someone who would arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Quite who it was, no-one was saying, even Suzie shrugged.

Tuesday 14th July

More cloak and dagger stuff this morning, the guest will be arriving tomorrow and Sophie is with her, a little slip confirmed that much. It was almost as if I knew who it was but I wasn't allowed to know in advance, that sort of thing.

Heather had an appointment at her surgery so I went along with her and introduced myself to her GP Dr Rachel Wilson. I explained I was on HRT and needed monthly blood tests. I started giving her the Beccy ID and had to start again, my medical records are in my real name! Heather was not impressed at my mistake.

Rachel asked why I was on HRT when I was so young, apparently there's nothing in my records to suggest I was ever male! That could prove to be interesting if I have to deal with an A&E department.

Can the Security Service do that, erase my former life? I doubt it, as I was told during my training, we leave little clues around us as we grow up. Removing all of those should be virtually impossible.

I waited outside the room while Heather was given an examination, then a nurse called for Beccy to go into the treatment room. Yeah, I didn't recognise my own name. So Wendy has put me on their visitor list as Beccy but my national record is still Tammy. Yep, I'm confused.

We had lunch not long after we got back to the cottage then Heather went for a lie down. Suzie and I continued our investigation into Martin Gore. His birth certificate showed he was registered as 'Petra Martina Gore', not a male name at all. Parents were Natalia Petrovska Sukovich and Martin Byron Gore, place of birth was unpronounceable.

We made a request for full records, and extended the search into the parents. What was going on?

Wednesday 15th July

Very little of the requested information had arrived overnight, There was no record of Martin Gore attending school in the UK, not even a Child Benefit application in his name. He had, however, studied in Glasgow at the Business School, from age 18 to 22.

Suzie showed me how to write up the case as we went along, so that someone else could pick up from where I finished, in case I couldn't finish.

Sophie had let Heather know she was leaving London mid morning and driving down, that meant any kind of an ETA was out of the question.

Suzie drove her and I into Truro, more shopping, lunch, shopping, coffee, shopping, wee, then back to the cottage.

I was getting a little worried at how much luggage I was going to have to take back with me. I was mostly wearing shorts or short skirts with light tops, mix and match stuff, so the suits I'd packed were completely unnecessary. I think I'd only worn two pairs of tights in the past three weeks, so much of my luggage was untouched. Perhaps We'll take it to Newquay and send it North?

I heard the front door open as I was heading out of my room, I had barely started down the stairs when a new voice screamed "Tammy!"

tammy_sig.png

up
388 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

improvements

Alecia Snowfall's picture

well it looks like things are going better for Tammy now. She sounds less frazzled and has figured out where some things went astray. Heather's slow recovery sounds like a real problem for her. At least Tammy is learning that some times it truly is better to not get involved. Now the big question: Who's popping 'round for a call?

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Possibly a Test

Tammy described the call as a "new voice". It's maybe another test to see if Tammy can resist responding to her real name.

oops and surprise

Tammy seems to be learning more from Heather's tutoring than from her courses in the house. The medical mix-up shouldn't have been Tammy's fault, with all that time to prepare unless they meant it as a test of her ability to make a plausible story up on the fly there should have been some way of crossing her medical files into her false identity done already. I hope Tammy passed this test or it was to her bosses' liking.

That new voice concerns me but it could be just about anyone from Yvette to Jimmy to "Hilary" to even Chris Jones(if he is still alive). I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone like Helen or Elsie or even her father or stepmother at this point.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Chris Jones...

...came to my mind too, though if they were that determined to keep his existence secret, I can't really see why they'd let Tammy in on it now.

Whoever it is, since it's obviously someone Tammy already knows, her responding to "Tammy" as opposed to "Bekky" (in a private setting) probably isn't a strike against her as someone suggested above.

Eric

she's learning !

cool

DogSig.png

nice

work and Tammy is learning better, and more so its hands on not just theory so pratical is better for this type of work, At least she will not get marked for responding at the house it only in public if sghe reveals her real self and not respond to the Becky persona she is adopting there, and a 2nd bridesmaid gown for Tammy aswell and it looks like it going to be close isn't her dad and Angela's and Suzie's mum getting married about then as well ??
At least She got the full
ID pack aswell for Becky so much better for her.
Mind You it looks like Suzie seems to have had a great deal of training for being at a desk, although as she was brought up in a more public environment and schools etc she would have had a lot more experience in interactions,
Matt

Good way to train Tammy

Good way to train Tammy regarding how to maintain name and background security, by placing her into real life issues and then seeing how she responds to being called Tammy rather than Beccy.

Thank you Shiraz,

Our Tammy is learning,albeit slowly ! All takes time and she may end up being 006 and a bit !

ALISON

Heather Too

joannebarbarella's picture

She went through multiple identity changes, not even counting her first male to female transition, so some confusion is inevitable.

A cross-dressing thief....nice distraction!

interesting

The mystery voice, could it be the one who was spirited away from Thurso, Chris I think? Why would a thief choose to do the deed in heels, unless she was a very experienced runner in heels.

It can take time

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy has been secluded for much of her life, so all of this is new and will take time to adjust. Right now she overwhelmed with the newness and what she needs to learn to keep from being spotted doing a job.

The old Tammy almost kicked in during the shoplifting incident, but was contained thanks to Heather.

So, who came through the front door she knows, and surprised to see her?

Others have feelings too.