Frog Juice

Printer-friendly version
Frog Juice!


A bad day in Biology and a couple of school bullies lead to a change in the stars for two friends.

Frog Juice
By Melanie E.

0--0

-1-

Of all the boys in my biology class, of course, I would end up paired with Eddie Townsend.

It wasn't that I didn't like Eddie: just the opposite, in fact. I liked Eddie very much. Everyone did. He was one of the tallest kids in our grade, and handsome and strong and played on the baseball team, though I could never remember what he played. He was nice, and funny, and smart, with golden hair and flecks in his green eyes that matched—everything you could ever want in a guy.

The problem was I always felt funny around Eddie. I wasn't the smallest guy in our class, or the weakest, or the dumbest. I might have had the longest hair, but otherwise, I felt I was pretty average actually in just about everything if a bit chubbier than I'd like. But when I was around Eddie, I felt smaller and safer, and always second-guessed myself when it came to anything I said or did. Eddie had learned a long time ago he could get me to laugh or agree to just about anything with the right look. I think that was why we got assigned as partners so much. And when we didn't, Eddie would request me anyway or try to find a seat next to me in classes without partners. So much so that some teachers had taken to calling our names together during roll call—Eddie Townsend and Jamie West—even when we weren't side-by-side in the list of names.

It wasn't a problem, really, not as far as classwork was concerned. Eddie and I both were B-average students, so I didn't have to worry about THAT. But sometimes I couldn't concentrate on labs so well when he was there, and I'd fumbled things a few times only for him to have to come to my rescue.

I did just that while we were working on frogs in biology—nicking something in its bloated formaldehyde-soaked body that squirted all over me. It would have gotten in my hair and eyes and gaping mouth, too, if not for the face shield the teacher asked us to use instead of goggles for just such situations.

"Blegh! Gross!" I squeaked like I tended to do when I was surprised.

The teacher looked over from where he was helping another pair of partners and laughed. "Yeah, these things can be gross sometimes," he said with a grin. "Just feel lucky it didn't get in your mouth. Not only is the formaldehyde poisonous, but some species of frog can change their sex when breeding populations are imbalanced. Wouldn't want you turning into a girl, would we?"

That got a chuckle from the room, and I felt myself blush. That blush deepened when Eddie wiped off my screen with a paper towel and gently took the tools from my hands.

"How about I probe, and you take notes? Your handwriting is better than mine anyway," he said, smiling down at me.

I must have agreed because he gently shouldered me aside and took my place at the frog. With him in charge of the gross parts and me writing notes and feeding him information from our textbook, things went a lot smoother since he was less hesitant with the tools and less grossed-out by how icky the whole thing was anyway.

Even with Eddie handling the frog, I was still thoroughly sick by the time class was over, and definitely didn't feel like eating any lunch. Instead, I bypassed the lunchroom and headed straight for the concrete walkway with the stairs in it that sat between the main school building and the gym, dropping myself on an out of the way ledge and just thinking.

Could frog juice really turn me into a girl?

-2-

Our community had more boys than girls, so a lot of the guys ended up getting girlfriends from other schools. Did that mean our breeding population was imbalanced, like the teacher said? I didn't think so, since even with more guys than girls, plenty of the girls didn't have boyfriends, and not just the ones who didn't want them.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice my two classmates approaching me, or the slimy gift they had in their hands.

"Hey, Jamie!"

"Wha?" I started to say as I stood up, only for one of the two boys -- Allan something-or-other -- to grab me by the arms and the other one, Wesley something, grab my face, holding my mouth open and shoving something in it.

I felt that something squirm, and I felt a nasty liquid fill my mouth. I gagged and tried to scream, but the boys were holding me and laughing.

"Hey! Leave Jamie alone!" Eddie's voice rang out from somewhere, and immediately my attackers let go of me and ran, and just as quickly, I was on my knees, spitting and heaving.

The poor frog they had shoved into my mouth landed on the ground with a splat, but quickly righted itself and hopped away—I hoped none the worse for wear.

The same couldn't be said about my mouth as I cried and spit, trying to get the taste out.

A hand rested on my shoulder, and I flinched, but soon that hand was replaced by an arm as Eddie squatted next to me and gave me a one-armed hug. As soon as I realized it was him, I felt immediately safer, even as the tears rolled down my cheeks, and I sobbed.

"Here," he said, offering me a can of soda.

I took it shakily and brought it to my lips. The first swig I used to swish around my mouth and spit out, like mouthwash. The second one I swallowed, the bittersweet acidic bite helping to clear most of the nastiness out. Eddie gently rubbed my back and made soothing noises the whole time.

"Better?" He asked, and waited for me to nod. "Sorry, I didn't get here sooner. I was looking for you since I didn't see you in the lunchroom."

I took another drink of the soda, too big of one, and coughed a bit as it burned its way down my throat. "I think it peed in my mouth," I said, fighting back the revulsion.

"I'm gonna kill those assholes," Eddie said, and I felt him stiffen as he started to stand up. I didn't want him to get in trouble because of me, though, so I reached up and grabbed the hand he had been using to rub my back.

"Eddie, don't. it was *sniff.* They're just stupid jerks."

I let go of his hand, but he held onto my fingers for a few more moments before letting go himself.

"I think frogs carry some nasty stuff, do you want to go to the nurse?" He grimaced when I shook my head 'no,' but didn't push it. "Well, I'm not leaving you alone in case they come back."

I took another sip of his soda, then offered it back to him guiltily. "Sorry, I drank so much of it."

Eddie waved it off and smiled. "Nah, you keep it. 'Sides, you heard what the teacher said about frogs, I don't wanna risk cross-contamination."

He was only joking, I knew, but it put my mind right back on the train of thought it had been riding when I'd been ambushed. Only now, I had even bigger concerns.

-3-

After that day, Eddie was by my side as often as he could be, in or out of class. It seemed to work and stopped some of the light teasing I'd been getting anyway, though we would get some strange looks now and again when he would pull me close to keep us from being separated in the hallways. I didn't mind though: I liked how safe I felt with him nearby.

Things weren't perfect, though. Between the lab incident and the frog, I found myself without an appetite any time I smelled the bio lab, and stopped eating lunches entirely. Eddie asked me to go through the line with him, at least, but stopped trying to get me to eat anything after the first couple of weeks, though he would occasionally grab some extra celery or other items off the salad bar and give me a pointed look.

I didn't like the hunger pangs, but I did like when I noticed my jeans getting looser. Eddie noticed too, and though he was worried about me not eating, he complimented me on my weight loss. If anything, that just made me feel better about the missed meals, and I added a few exercises every day after school to try and lose more.

That frog was always on the back of my mind, though.

I didn't get sick, so I figured I was lucky but was I just imagining things or was I looking girlier as I lost weight? I certainly wasn't triangle-shaped like Eddie, or barrel-shaped like some of the other guys, but was I girl-shaped, or was it just my imagination?

Had my eyes and lips always been that big, and my lashes that long?

I knew I was going crazy, that it was impossible. I researched the frog thing, and while it was true, those frogs were in Africa, not Tennessee.

Still, I couldn't help the feeling that I was changing, looking less like a boy every time I looked into the mirror as my thoughts were filled with 'what if's.

What if it were true?

What if I were becoming a girl because of that stupid frog?

What if I were some kind of mutant?

Would Eddie still be my friend if that happened?

Winter arrived, and with my loss of weight came an increased chill. Eddie was going to spend the holiday break with family in Missouri, but we were staying home for the break. I felt a pang of loss when he said good-bye to me on the last day of school but told myself I'd see him again in the new year, idly wondering if by then, I'd be even girlier than I already felt I had become.

That thought stuck with me all the way home, and when I took my shower that night, I couldn't resist the urge to take my razor in with me. Dad had bought it for me to use on my face, though I didn't have any hair there to bother with yet. But there were other thoughts on my mind as I stood under the water and stared at it.

Just one stroke on my leg wouldn't hurt anything, right? Nobody would have to know.

Ten minutes later, I was standing under the water and looking at my smooth legs, asking myself just what I'd done.

Was it the frog juice making me want to do this? It couldn't be. That was all just... that wasn't real, was it?

I couldn't help liking the effect on my legs, though.

Thankfully winter plus my newly-discovered cold nature meant pajama pants were in order, so nobody in my family had to be any the wiser, and I spent the winter break enjoying the company of my mom, dad, and big sister Lanie, who had come back from college with an inexplicable tan and a number of stories she would only share with me when Mom and Dad weren't around. Since their work wouldn't break until Christmas Eve, I spent a lot of time with Lanie around the house. She taught me to bake, and tried to teach me how to knit as we would sit around watching Christmas specials and chatting. I found myself oddly interested in the things she did, and we wound up having some fun doing each other's nails after she caught me intently watching her paint her own. Mine were always done in clear, but it was still something special we enjoyed doing together.

Yes, it was another girly thing. Who cared if it was the frog juice talking if I was having fun with my sister, though.

Christmas came, and I was surprised when most of my gifts were clothes. Mom and Dad explained that since I was losing so much weight, they wanted to make sure I had things that fit, and though it wasn't all new, it was all nice clothing and the fact they had noticed how hard I was working meant the world to me. My favorite piece, though, was from my sister, a huge white cable-knit sweater she had made herself. She apologized for the size, telling me she had been working on it before she'd known I was losing weight and had wanted it to be big on me then, but I didn't care. I loved how it felt like a blanket, I could snuggle into and wear with me, and I told her that as I hugged her.

-4-

With January came the return to school, something I was excited and sad about. On the last day before she left, Lanie called me into her room and gave me a handful of her old clothes. I balked, but she told me it was old tees and other gender-neutral things but should fit me better than my old clothes with my weight loss. Then, she asked me to sit down, and she painted my toenails a soft pink. She said it could be our secret, and that it would help me remember how much she loved me, then she gave me the bottle of polish. We both cried as we hugged, and I promised her I'd keep them nice and pink for as long as I could, even if it meant I had to wear socks with my flip flops when things warmed up.

When the first day to return to school finally arrived, my stomach was in horrible knots, knowing that Eddie would be there. I needed all the comfort I could get, so I decided to wear the sweater my sister had knitted me and one of the super-soft tank tops she had included in the pile of clothes too. I loved the loose fit of the sweater, but the length of the sleeves meant I found myself gripping the cuffs in my fingers a lot of the time, and the constant tugging somehow kept the wide neck uneven, revealing most of my right shoulder and showing my tank top to the world. I still loved it, though, especially the way my shiny-clear nails looked next to the soft white faux-angora material.

Eddie was waiting for me when I got to school. I was afraid, and not really sure why. It was irrational to worry that he would somehow know I had pink toenails and shaved legs, but I found it hard to take each step as I approached him. He did a double-take when he spotted me, then gave me the biggest, warmest smile I had ever seen.

"Hi Eddie," I said, shyly. Why was I feeling shy?

"Hi Jamie," he said back, seeming to be almost as nervous as I was. "I like your sweater."

"Thanks." I grinned, rubbing the soft, warm material of the sleeve against my cheek. "My sister made it for me for Christmas."

"Well, it looks great on you," he said, blushing. "Um, I got you something for Christmas too." He was fidgeting, like he was worried about something.

"You did?" I asked, feeling the twisting in my stomach take a suddenly more pleasant turn.

"Ah, yeah. It's... can you close your eyes?"

I hesitated. Was this some attempt to play a joke on me? Then I looked into Eddie's eyes and saw so much of the same turmoil I felt reflected back. No, not Eddie.

I swallowed hard but closed my eyes and stood up straight.

I heard Eddie move and felt his arms resting on my neck, something cold touching me as his hands fumbled under my hair. The contact made me tingle, and I smelled something spicy and woody, with Eddie's smell underneath it. Had he gotten new cologne for Christmas? Then the spicy smell moved away, as did his hands and arms, but the coolness around my neck remained.

My eyes fluttered open to see an even more nervous Eddie standing surprisingly close to me, his hands clenched in fists at his sides.

I looked down to see my new gift and laughed.

There, dangling around my neck and sitting just above the neckline of my sweater, was a silver frog pendant. It had little green jewels for eyes, with gold flecks in them.

"It has your eyes," I said, lifting a hand to place over the gift. "Thank you." I frowned. "I don't have anything for you, though."

I looked up, and Eddie was giving me that amazing smile of his again. "Just wear the necklace. That's all I want."

"Always."

I didn't care about propriety. I didn't care that we were both boys. I closed the little distance between us and reached up, wrapping my arms around Eddie's neck and hugging him close, enjoying the spicy smell of him. It took a moment, but Eddie wrapped his own arms around me, placing his hands in the small of my back and pulling me even tighter against him.

'Stupid frog juice,' I thought, knowing how girlie I was acting.

Then again, if Eddie liked me being girlie... then was it really such a bad thing?

-End-

Here it is, the second story I submitted to Erin for Patreon, on BCTS at last! I hope y'all enjoy this one just as much as you did the last one: the response was incredible, and I can't adequately express how much it meant to me.

If you enjoyed this tale, please, or just want to support BCTS and keep our home here running and oil in Erin and the others' lamps, then feel free to visit Erin's Patreon page, where you can find more stories by me, Erin, and others weeks before they'll appear here!

*hugs*

Melanie E.

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I must've meant it when I said perfect

laika's picture

...because while ordinarily I'd be tempted to do a wacky take on it, I feel like to turn this subtle romantic gem into a one-joke transformation story would cheapen it. Unless they could both turn into frogs... but Disney has beat me to that story.

And I doubt if I could do a continuation of the existing story justice; I'm about as subtle as a pie in the face. But you know who could, besides you? Erin! These kinds of nuanced real world interactions are totally her forte.

*hugs*

I think you having fun with the idea would, if anything, INCREASE its value. Or, if nothing else, I don't see how it'd cheapen my work at all, since your story would be just that: YOUR story, and something to stand on its own.

But no pressure, hon. I'm honestly just glad you enjoyed my little tale :)

Melanie E.

lovely

very sweet.

DogSig.png

Thanks Dot

If you call something sweet then it must be :)

*hugs*

Melanie E.

Come Softly Darling

BarbieLee's picture

This story reminded me of the Fleetwoods song. Talk about a real emotionally soft story. And then the cherry on top was the non ending end. I'm going to be running this one back and forth though my mind for the rest of the day and beyond. How balanced the whole story was from beginning to end. The premise was so ingrained in the beginning I am still working on how the setup was introduced and where the story began.
I feel I've been in a pillow fight and feathers are still floating about the room.
Hugs Melanie
Barb
Life is a changing event from beginning to end..

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I'm happy the story appealed to you so much :)

This one was a great deal of fun to write. It honestly came from thinking about how many times the old African frog thing has been brought up or used as a plot device in trans stories, and how I could twist that to my own ends without falling into trope territory.

I'm glad the work has paid off, and resulted in something people can enjoy.

Melanie E.

Dissecting a Frogy

I had two older brothers and an older sister so I had life roadmaps laid out for me. One of the stops clearly marked was dissecting a frog in biology. It was one of those high school events that separated the "boys" from the "girls."

Could a frog change you into a girl? Act a little squeamish while cutting into that smelly carcass and you would be branded for the duration. Of the thirty or so students in the lab, usually about three would react badly.

Was it the frog juice? Or, did the exercise simply reveal what was already there?

About half of the kids in my high school grew up on farms where butchering of animals was a common occurrence. Yet, add a little formaldehyde and you never knew who would faint of lose their lunch.

Great story. You're one of the few who write for BC who realizes the importance of appealing to all the senses. We should have a BC hall of fame for stories like this. A special designation so that new readers can see the best.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

High praise indeed!

Thank you, hon. I do my best to make my stories well-rounded when I can. For everything there is a proper place, and I think the hard part of adding those details to a story is in knowing when those details will benefit the story most.

I'm doing my best to learn my craft as well as I can. I have a few very good mentors helping me out with that, and I can never express to them how grateful I am for all their help.

Melanie E.

Formaldehyde is dreadful stuff

Angharad's picture

So I was glad your 'heroine' was wearing a visor mask. A nice story, Melanie, though I fear for the two boys in the current circumstances in schools. If the teachers have noticed they come as a pair, wouldn't the other boys and bullying would happen or worse, homophobic attacks.

As for using smell and taste in stories, when in intimate settings, these things become very important because they add to the intimacy. We often don't notice smells or scents unless they are awful or overpowering, except when we are very close to someone, then it demonstrates how close and how primed our senses become, which they do when we are romantically excited or just very fond of someone.

On the downside, how can anyone be afraid of biology labs - it was my favourite room in school, followed by the chemistry lab.

Angharad

biology lab

I recall being stabbed in the butt with a disecting needle. Painful and unsanitary. It did stop the bullying for a while though. He was still in his chair laughing when I hit him the first time and never got out of it until I was hauled away. Two years later in chemistry one of the fools pointed a gas burner at my face and lit it. I got away with just singed eyebrows as I jumped back quickly. He got thrown out of class and for once they hit a jock where it hurt as he was out of all extra curricular activities like basketball where he'd been a starter. I hated all of High school.

Sometimes things that would normally raise an eyebrow

are ignored, simply because 'they've always been that way.'

That's pretty much how I see Jamie and Eddie. In a lot of situations, especially in the area they live in, the possibility of them being a gay or even trans-straight couple would potentially lead to issues. Their saving grace -- and one that neither they nor anyone else has even necessarily noticed is such -- is that everyone around them has basically already mentally classified them as a couple to a greater or lesser degree, one of those situations where the boyfriend and girlfriend are the last two to realize they are such.

I have a certain amount of mental canon history behind this story, and yes, most of it is sappy and sweet, as is my mental future-canon. Erin's is slightly less so, but a lot of fun too :)

As for biology lab, my biology teacher was a creationist, and repeatedly 'lost' mine and several of my classmates' homework and tests because we would argue with him in class about it. I never cared for the dissecting, but I don't mind helping to butcher an animal for food: the dissections in class never felt like they were well handled though, and I never felt like they were as useful as the experience everyone in my neck of the (literal) woods got from deer, fish, cows, pigs, and more just by dint of our extremely rural region.

Plus the idea of cutting up an animal you don't intend to eat just doesn't sit well with me in general.

Melanie E.

Much of what we write

Angharad's picture

is based upon experience or variations of, so I respect yours is different, as we live in different countries and I'm quite a bit older than you, so there will be differences. I read something of mine recently as I was thinking about doing a follow-up and found I'd included an experience I'd had many years ago and which since writing it had forgotten all about it. Obviously, most of what I write is a fictionalisation of my experiences or my beliefs and so forth and some is pure imagination, especially the action stuff I sometimes include. I couldn't punch a hole in a wet tissue, as my dad used to tell me, seems he was right, but that doesn't mean I can't visualise it and my characters do the rest.

I did say I enjoyed it, Mel, though I'll let you do the sequel. :)

Angharad

*hugs*

I can't say my experience in biology was particularly typical.

This isn't the first time I've used my own experiences, either. There was a scene in 'Echoes' (I REALLY need to re-do that story and finish it!) where I had the kids dissecting squid that was inspired by a squid dissection we did in my Zoology class (the sequel to Biology, but with a different teacher.) Likewise, I tend to include references to music I love (Oh, Cheers,) and other things.

Melanie E.

Cool story

Alice-s's picture

I loved it. Very sweet

Thank you very much!

I'm always glad to see people enjoy the things I write :)

Melanie E.