Hard Time - Part 3

Printer-friendly version

 

Hard Time - Part 3
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2021 Melanie Brown

Jason falls victim to judicial overreach


This story takes place in the not too distant future -- Ed

 


 

The bell mounted on the door jingled as we entered Stacy’s Earring Shoppe. A girl by the cash register was sitting on a stool, smiled and stood up as the door closed behind us. She smiled broadly at us.

“Angie!” the girl exclaimed. She pointed at a tall carousel of earrings and said, “Good to see you again. We just got a ton of new earrings in.”

Angie grinned, “Hey Marilyn.” I thought for sure her name would be Stacy. “Cool. I’m definitely in the market for something new. Oh, and this is Cindy. She’s a new student this year. I’m trying to help her out.”

Marilyn smiled pleasantly at me. “Well, then welcome, Cindy. Happy to have you with us. And I just love your hair. It’s so cute!” Funny. The only reaction I’d get when I got a haircut as Jason was from my Uncle Nick who always asked if I got my ears lowered. “Are you going to be a cheerleader like Angie?”

I waved my hand dismissively. “Oh no. I wasn’t here for the tryouts anyway.”

Angie’s eyes twinkled as she said, “Actually, tryouts are the first week of school. So you have a chance.”

I sighed. “Lucky me.” No way in hell.

Smiling, Marilyn asked, “So, how can I help you ladies?”

Angie said, “I’m just looking for something new, but Cindy wants to get her ears pierced. She’s nervous about it.”

Marilyn waved her hand. “Girl, there’s nothing to worry about. It doesn’t hurt. Much. Try not to let out an ear-piercing scream.” She chuckled. Angie rolled her eyes and Marilyn, continued, “Well, you did say she was new here.”

I was directed to sit on the stool just recently vacated by Marilyn. She started numbing an earlobe by rubbing it. She picked up a paper hole punch and came towards me. I gave her a worried look and she said, “Oh. Sorry. This is how I pierce boy’s ears.” She chuckled.

I looked to Angie and asked, “Are we paying extra for the show?”

Marilyn frowned. “I’m just trying to keep it light.” She picked up a small gun looking thing. “Try not to jump when the starter stud goes in. You keep your starter earrings in for at least six weeks and avoid touching them. At least with dirty hands. They’ll be sore and red for a few days.”

I scowled at Angie and asked, “Tell me again why I’m doing this?”

In response, Angie held up a pair of earrings she’d removed from a nearby carousel and wiggled them at me. “I’m getting these for you. They’re just adorable and will look really cute on you.” I learn that ‘cute’ is a universal adjective for something attractive.

Despite being told not to, I still jumped when the stud pierced my ear.

We left the earring store after I got studs in both ears and with Angie’s recommendations I bought several pairs of earrings.

Angie grinned at me. “See? That wasn’t so bad, was it? And now you get to wear all these pretty earrings. And stop touching your ears! You’ll get infected.”

I frowned at Angie. “It bothers me.”

Shaking her head, Angie said, “Cindy, believe me. In a few weeks, you’ll be so happy you did this. Now let’s go check out the shoe store. Your mom is expecting you back in about an hour.”

*          *          *

After entering my house, I set the shopping bags of shoes including a pair of high heels that I can’t imagine ever wearing. A little black dress that Angie insisted that every girl should have and a bikini of all things. Exhausted, I plopped down on the couch and numbly turned on the TV.

Mom was in the kitchen and heard me come in and walked over to me. She took one look and exclaimed, “I love your hair, Cindy. It’s so cute.”

I sighed heavily. “Thanks, Mom. Shopping is exhausting.”

Mom chuckled as she started going through my shopping bags. “It can be. But it’s also fun.” She pulled out the earrings I’d bought and exclaimed, “Oh, these are darling! I can’t wait to see you wear them.” I guess I need to add ‘cute’, ‘adorable’ and ‘darling’ to my personal lexicon.

Mom extracted the dress and the high heels and grinned at me. “Oh! I love this dress! And matching heels!” She gave me a knowing look and asked, “Planning a special evening?”

I frowned and shook my head. “Knock it off, Mom. I think Angie is trying to create her mini-me.”

Mom shook her head at me. “You should be more thankful for her help, Cindy. She told me she’s wants to be your life coach. In a few weeks, she’ll have to cut back on time with you because of cheerleading practice. And then when school starts, she’ll have even less time with you. Let her help you as much as she can now.”

“I’m trying to Mom!” I said trying not to sound frustrated. “Look at me. This is just day one!”

Mom smiled. “And you’re beautiful. I won’t lie to you. I love having a daughter. I could use some help in the kitchen.”

I sighed as I stood. I was still tired from my afternoon with Shopzilla. As my grandmother used to say, “No rest for the wicked.” Am I wicked?

As I turned to follow Mom to the kitchen, Dad came in from the garage. He frowned and said, “You look ridiculous. And that hair!” At least he didn’t say how cute my hair was. I don’t think ‘cute’ is in his vocabulary.

Mom frowned at Dad. “Be nice, George. I think your daughter is adorable.”

Dad shrugged and heaved a sigh. “I’m sorry Jas…Cindy. I know this is hard on you. I’ll admit your hair is cute.” Damn! I spoke too soon.

I smiled weakly at Dad. “No problem Dad. It’s an adjustment.” Ya think?

Dad nodded. “That’s for damn sure. Oh, I’m trying to think up some rules for you.”

“Rules, Dad?” I asked. “Other than letting you know where I was, you never had rules for me before.”

Dad grunted. “You weren’t a daughter before. Just simple rules, like you can’t stay out past ten o’clock, no boys in the house… stuff like that.”

Trying not to whine, I said, “But that’s not fair, Dad!”

Dad frowned. “It’s more than fair. We’ll talk about it later.” He turned to sit on the couch in front of the TV and mumbled about how much being a girl is going to cost him.

From the kitchen, Mom said, “Cindy, if you can give me a hand? Can you make the mashed potatoes for me?”

I turned away glumly from Dad and walked to the kitchen. “Sure Mom.”

*          *          *

I was sitting in my room playing a game on my computer. Girls play computer games, right? I don’t want to give this up or have to switch to playing Barnyard Veterinarian. The lecture from Dad after dinner was definitely annoying.

Sounding aggravated, I heard Dad call from the living room, “Cindy! There’s a boy here to see you.” Dad is going to try to embarrass me as much as he can just because he doesn’t like me being a girl. It’s not like I volunteered.

I walked into the living room and saw who was standing outside on the porch. I exclaimed, “Dad! That’s not a boy. That’s Tony!” I’m going to have to have another talk with Dad. After seeing it was Tony at the door, Mom or Dad used to tell him I’m in my room and let him come in.

Looking confused, Tony said, “I thought I was a boy.”

As I stepped up to the door, I said, “You know what I mean. Dad, you know Tony.”

Tony looked at my Dad. He held up a thumb drive. “I won’t be long, sir. I just have some software to install on Cindy’s computer.” That must be the new Skyrim 27 that just came out. Tony had told me he had a cracked version.

Dad didn’t move. “How long will that take?”

Bewildered at not being let in, Tony said, “Maybe half an hour to install and then configure.”

Dad checked the time displayed on his phone. “Okay. You have half an hour frommm… now”

Tony looked at my dad like he was from an alien planet. He said, “Yes sir.” He stepped through the open door towards me.

I picked up the handset of the house phone and held the receiver out towards Dad. “Dad. It’s Ward Cleaver. He wants his decade back.”

Tony suppressed a chuckle as both ran for my room.

When we got inside my room and I closed the door, Tony said, “Man. You run like girl.”

I said, “Thank you.” I plucked the thumb drive from Tony’s grasp. Tony sat down on the edge of my bed.

Before Tony could respond, the door to my room was yanked open. Looking angry, Dad said, “This door is to remain open!” He turned and stormed off to the couch.

Tony just sat there on the edge of my bed. “Well, shit. Looks like I won’t be able to fuck you tonight.”

I laughed and then I felt a slight chill. “You were joking, right?”

Tony flashed a What do you think? expression at me. “What do you think?”

As my PC started reading the thumb drive Tony screwed up his face and asked, “What the hell is up with you dad? I mean, yeah. When I’ve visited some other girls from school to get some math help, she had to leave her door opened. Makes sense as she was a girl and all.”

I folded my arms and glared at Tony. “What do I look like?”

Getting defensive, Tony said, “Well, uh, you.. you look like a girl. Oh. I didn’t get to say it when I walked into your house, but you’re very pretty. That hair style looks cute on you.”

I closed my eyes and made a stabbing gesture to my chess. “Et tu, Brute.”

Tony frowned. “Okay. You’re not pretty. Better?”

I grunted a laugh. “That’s not it. Everyone I’ve talked to today has said my hair is cute.”

Tony smirked, “Sorry to bring you bad news, Bucko. It is cute. I’m not usually attracted to short hair girls. But I have to say your hair style looks very cute on you. Being pretty must be a terrible burden on you.”

Folding my arms with a scowl, I said, “You can stop now.”

“Seriously, though,” said Tony seriously. “I can fully understand why your dad is protective of you. Hell, I wouldn’t even let me anywhere near my daughter. If I had one.”

I shook my head and said, “The install is done. What do we configure?”

Tony leaned over me to get to the keyboard. He turned to grin at me. He put his hand on my shoulder. “You smell nice.” I told him thanks and pointed at the PC. He continued, “Look. Just run all the settings to max. You’ve got one of the best graphic cards. Just set everything to High. High body count, high blood splatters. Turn damage on.” After fiddling around with the settings for a few minutes, Tony said, “Oh hey. I need to tell…”

Dad entered my room to see Tony practically lying on top of me. Trying to sound like an authoritarian, Dad said, “Time to go, son.”

“But Daddy,” I complained. “It hasn’t been half an hour yet.” I haven’t called my dad, daddy since I was about four.

If looks could kill, Tony would have been vaporized. “Party’s over.” Dad had better mellow out soon, or I’m going to be in for a hard time.”

“Daddy. Just five more minutes. Please.”

Dad stuck his hands into his pockets. “Okay. Just five minutes and no more.” He turned and walked back to his couch. All right! Saying ‘Daddy’ works.

Tony took his thumb drive back from me. “Okay, real quick,” he said. “Remember how us and some of our friends for the past couple of years have been all going to a movie on the last Saturday before school? That’s next Saturday! We’re doing it again this year. I wondered if you wanted to come too.”

I wrinkled my nose at him. “As your date?”

Tony laughed. “Oh fuck no!” He stood up to leave. “Just asking if you’d want to go to. I’m picking up Roger along the way. You in?”

I got up too, so I could follow him to the door. “As long as it’s not a date, I’m in.”

Tony grinned. “Cool beans. Talk to you later, bud.” Dad closed the door after him.

I walked back to my room and closed the door. I was going to play the game for a bit before going to bed. Before the game’s intro finished, my cell phone rang. I looked and it was Angie.

“Hey girl,” said the pleasant voice of Angie. “I just wanted to remind you that I’ll be over at your house by nine. Be sure to have everything out.”

Before she could hang up, I said, “Before you hang up, I have a question.”

Angie said quietly, “Of course, Cindy.What’s up?”

I said, “You know Tony, right? He wanted to ask me if I’d be interested to go with him and our usual gang to see a movie next Saturday. Do you think I should go with them?

Angie said, “I think so. It would be a good experience for you.”

I was afraid to ask the question. Finally, I asked, “This doesn’t mean I’m dating Tony does it?”

Angie giggled. “Not necessarily. Interesting question though. I mean, Tony asks you, Tony picks you up, Tony pays for everything…”

“Whoa,” I said quickly. “I’m paying my own way.”

Angie said, “There is such a thing as a Dutch treat and still be a date. Are you planning to get romantic with him?”

I almost shouted, “Of course not!”

Angie laughed. “Then don’t worry about and just enjoy a evening out with your friends. I need to run. See you in the morning.” She disconnected before I could say anything else.

Shit. That’s all I need.

*          *          *

End of Part 3

up
238 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun!

Robertlouis's picture

Fun story and shot through with your trademark humour.

☠️

*I* was doing hard time

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

I had a hard time waiting for this next installment. Glad to see Cindy reluctantling along.

- io

Snerk!

Loved the “Ward Cleaver” line!

Injustice left unchallenged

Jamie Lee's picture

Is no one working to get the injustice Jason is suffering overturned? Mom and dad don't seem that concerned their son is being forced into a punishment for no reason, other than a judge trying to make a name for herself.

And what good is appealing the sentence after the ending date? If ever a case could be used to repeal that law, the injustice Jason was sentenced is the case.

However, a year as a girl is going to imprint itself on Jason so that he may not be able to return to being Jason. Or he may not be allowed by others to again be Jason.

Others have feelings too.

Is it a date?

Only time will tell

All right! Saying ‘Daddy’ works.

And that is why the overprotective comes into play too. Daughters mess with their daddy’s emotions.