La Petite Mardi Gras (1)

Printer-friendly version

La Petite Mardi Gras: Part One
Pleasure Dies At the Stroke of Midnight

-1-

The antebellum south was steeped in tradition, some of those traditions vanished after the Civil War, some endured through the turbulent years that followed and are still carried on to this day. Among those traditions that started in antebellum Benton was the annual Carnival Ball that's hosted each Carnival by the aristocratic families of Benton. Chief among those are the Potter Family who were among the earliest settlers of the town.

Like most of the aristocratic families of the Yazoo Delta, the leading families of Benton tried to emulate the high culture of New Orleans, Vicksburg, and Natchez. It was such Carnival Balls that inspired our forefathers to host their own balls. At first each leading family would host their own ball, these private parties were often the highlight of the social season. But soon it became common practice for the leading families to pool together their money and host one ball. That's how “La Mardi Gras” came to be.

Over time though, the children of the leading families wanted their own ball, a more refined version of Prom and Homecoming if you will. In two thousand and one their wish was granted and “La Petite Mardi Gras” was formed. It soon became the premier social event of the season. In time it even managed to eclipse the older debutante ball that was held each summer.

All of these thoughts swirled through my head as I climbed the concrete steps that lead to the front door of the Elk's Club, A three story brick building that was located toward the end of Main street. Bright, yellow light poured forth from the windows to bathe the concrete sidewalks. As I reached the final step, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes and once more I wondered if I was making the right choice.

You see my mom had been the one who insisted I attend, it had been her fancy footwork that secured me a much coveted invitation. She also insisted that this prove to be the antidote that would cure me of my melancholy. She also mentioned that she spoke to my boyfriend's mother and she had assured her that he would be there along with his older sister who had volunteered to chaperon the ball. She also said that since I was becoming a young lady in high southern society I should start conducting myself like a true southern belle and start attending such events.

Maybe that is why I paused in front of wooden doors. Did I really want to become a southern belle? Becoming Jamie had been easy enough, okay not easy but had been an adventure. Now that adventure was over, I had to live as Jamie each and every day of my life. It was like writing a novel, the first few adventures or misadventures of becoming Jamie had been just the opening chapter, the opening chapters in a long epic that was still being written. It was being written with each passing second, with each passing moment, with each passing hour, with each passing day, with each passing week, with each passing month, each passing year till at last my breathing would cease and I would pass on to either Heaven or Hell.

My life story was being written one sentence at a time, one paragraph at a time, one page at a time, and finally one chapter at a time. I took another deep breath and lifted my face toward the clear night sky. Oh I was going to make this work. Oh yes, I was going to make this work. I will become a southern belle, not because my mom wanted me too, but because I wanted too. And with that I pushed upon the wooden door and crossed the threshold of the doorway. And once I crossed that threshold I left the world I knew and crossed into a world of gale laughter, of loud music.

-2-

Carnival is cruel as it is beautiful. And I quickly noticed what this ball really was. One look around and you would notice young ladies and young gentlemen from all the towns leading families had gathered here tonight. Political deals would be made that night, alliances would be made and broken, insults would be made that would require the young gentleman of the town to take to the personal battlefield and trade licks back and forth with others to regain their honor. A girl could find herself blackballed or named prom queen tonight.

I forced myself to smile as I waded into the crowd. I'd only attended one formal dance before and that had been homecoming a year or so ago. I owned only a few formal gowns, most of those had been passed down to me from my older sister Lily Elizabeth Potter who was holding court around the punch bowl. I envied the way Lily seemed to glide at social events. She was the life of the party, and there dressed in a scarlet gown with her blonde hair hanging loose, her baby blue eyes shining in the light of the party, she reminded me of a queen. If my older sister was a queen, then I must be a princess. And if I was a princess I needed my prince.

Then the wooden door opened and there in the threshold stood my prince. His name was Benjamin Franklin Allen and he was my prince. He was my first in so many ways, he had been my first kiss as Jamie, my first crush as Jamie, my first true boyfriend to boot too and my first time in something else. I loved him to the moon and back, my heart skipped a beat as I saw him looking around the room. His brown hair was combed down the middle and slicked down. He wore nothing more than a clean pair of dust colored trousers, sturdy brown dress shoes, a white button down shirt, a well worn but clean navy coat and a matching blue tie. Simple as that was, to me appeared more dashing and handsome than any knight.

At his side stood his older sister Joan Rebecca Allen who was dressed in white strapless dress with a white shawl draped around her shoulders. She spotted me first and upon spotting me nudged Benjamin toward me, she soon followed of course.

“Ms. Potter.” She said bowing a little. “It is a pleasure to see you this evening. I'm told you will be my brother's partner for this fine celebration.” She said in a silky tone of voice. I knew it was an act. Joan was always very protective of her little brother. She always watched me like a hawk when I was around him. But I guess if I had a younger brother or sister I would do the same.

I nodded my head and smiled.

“Trust me, it's my pleasure to have such a fine, dashing, young gentleman such as Mr. Allen to partner for this evening.” I said turning on all the old world charm and wit I could muster. Joan blinked a few times and slowly closed her eyes. She then looked over at her brother.

“Benjamin, would please be a dear and fix Ms. Potter and I something to drink.” She then unhooked herself from his hold and stepped toward me. “And Ms. Potter I was hoping you would join me in a moment in the ladies powder room.”

Benjamin rolled his shoulders and nodded his head. And went on to carry out his task at hand. But before he went on he smiled at me and I smiled at him. Joan then walked past me, my eyes followed her as she weaved in and out of the crowd. I allowed her a good lead before I started to follow behind her. Kind of felt like a puppy as I trailed behind her.
Soon we reached the door that led to the powder room. Joan paused and motioned me to step inside. I did so and she soon followed. Once she was inside she paused and locked the door. Seeing Joan lock the door caused me to step into the center and raise an eyebrow, I quickly folded my arms across my chest and peered at her.

“Okay Joan whatsapp?” I said, deciding to cut to the chase.

“Nothing much, just wanted to talk to you.” She said smiling as she started to circle me. “I've decided on something Jamie Sarah Potter, something that I think you will approve of. Of course I had to get Lily's approval first.” She said, smirking.

“Oh?” I said I was a bit amused. “Please tell me what you've decided on, because right now and stop beating around the bush.” I said, lifting an eyebrow.

“I've decided since it's Carnival time. And since at the stroke of midnight tonight, all pleasure must die and we are to drag ourselves to confession tomorrow morning in preparation for Ash Wednesday. That you will be given free rein tonight. You may kiss my brother as many times as you wish. You can even take him to bed with you tonight. I want you to enjoy tonight Ms. Potter and revel in the magic of Carnival. But remember Carnival can be a cruel mistress.” She said smiling as she unlocked the door.

“Tonight will define the whole social season. The social machine of Benton is gearing up right now Ms. Potter, learn how to rein it in and the town and beyond will become your playground, your oyster if you will.” She said smiling as she pushed the door open. “Fail to control it. And you'll be eaten alive.” She said, smiling a wicked little smile.

“Joan.” I said blowing out a stream of hot air. “As anybody ever told you that you need to chill a bit. I mean I know you're a theater geek and all. But really, save the dramatics for the stage.” I said, rolling my eyes as I unfold my hands.

“Hey!” Joan said, smiling softly. “Having a theater geek for a friend can be a plus, you know. And beside your my cheer sister too and soon to be sister in law.” She said in a teasing tone of voice. “So I'm going to give a little advice. All the major roles are filled tonight. Ms. Brown will be here tonight. She uses these types of events to scout for new talent. Your going to have a birthday soon.” Joan paused and turned toward the mirror. “I suggest you use this chance to make a very good impression on her. You'll be old enough to play Aria soon in the yearly production of 'The Little Mermaid' and guess who would helping select the cast for that play.”

Its safe to say that at the mention of the yearly production of 'The Little Mermaid' that my curiosity was piqued. Joan must have sensed it and peered toward me with a knowing gaze. She smiled a little and nodded her head.

“That's right. I'm in charge of casting this year. And I have the perfect girl in mind for several leading parts.” She said, giving me a square gaze. “But only if that little girl respects my boundaries and keeps giving my little brother the respect he deserves.” She said with a smile as she walked over and unlocked the door. She then motioned for me to step outside.

“So little sister, go ahead and enjoy yourself. But remember pleasure dies at the stroke of midnight tonight.”

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos