Speedway Demons -chapter 27

Printer-friendly version


Speed Demons


Total number of drivers 40. Number of company teams 10. Number of tracks 20. Number of countries 12. Time frame 6 months. Number of Fallen Angels hooked on speed 2. The McGuire sisters are and they’re out for blood in the newly founded International Stockcar Racing Association. After two years driving the Formula One circuit Professional Drivers Roberta Bobbie McGuire and her sister Elisabeth ‘Beth’ McGuire have made real names for themselves. The two young ladies took the world by storm in their first year by placing 3rd and 4th in the Championship points race. Now their plans and dreams of starting in the International Stockcar Association have come to fruition. The Fury twins plan to prove to the world they belong in Stockcar Racing. And they don’t care who they have to put into the wall to bring home the inaugural championship.


Chapter 27
Darlington Speedway, Darlington, Sc: Sunrise, Sunday: Championship Race

Bobbie McGuire sat on top of her car transport trailer looking out at the one racetrack that she knew better than any other in the world. This was her home track. She earned her first ticket on this track. She also earned her first contract at this track. She had put down more unofficial laps around this track than any other driver currently on the NASCAR circuit. Not even the greats had has many laps here as she did. Over the last six years Bobbie had run more than 10,000 laps around this track in all kinds of weather with two exceptions. She had never raced here during a snow or ice storm.

She had tested rally cars, stock cars, formula one cars, drift cars, outlaw cars. You name it she had driven the car around this track with the exception of top fuel dragsters and funny cars. She had tested all types of engines, transmissions, full powerplants for race cars. Bobbie had tested every type of car part imaginable for her parents on this track. Thanks to all those hours of testing. Endless laps driven at high speeds. Always pushing the boundaries of those cars and her skills. She had done the one thing that no one thought possible. Roberta ‘Bobbie’ McGuire had done what others had thought impossible. She had mastered the Track Too Tough To Tame. Yet even she knew that the Lady in Black had a habit of reaching out and snatching defeat out of the hands of victory.

The sounds of a tractor trailer drew her attention to the tunnel entrance for the infield. A small smile came to her face at the sight of the truck. When the truck turned to show the side of the trailer Bobbie smiled. Out of the twelve cars that had wrecked over the last week MRI was able to rebuild eight of them. Thanks to the men and women of the fabrication and powerplant shop the ISA was able to field thirty-six out of forty cars for the final race of the season. When a second tractor trailer followed the first one out the tunnel Bobbie’s smile grew. Standing up and watching the tunnel entrance Bobbie began to count car haulers. When she reached five and the last car hauler pulled into the infield of Darlington Raceway Bobbie turned to count the rest of the trailers in the garage area. When she reached forty Bobbie’s smile was one of absolute pride in MRI.

“I’ll be damned. The guys and gals pulled it off. A full field of cars for the final race of the season. Now we got to get the Marshals to approve those cars for the race.” Bobbie said into the empty air around her.

“Already taken care of Speedy. The Marshals approved their participation in the final race of the season.” Not expecting a answer to her comment Bobbie jumped in surprise and looked down to find Chief Hailee staring up at her. “What? You think you’re the only one who comes out here at oh-dark-stupid to think?”

“Never really thought about it Chief. I figured you would have still be home in bed. It’s not like there’s anything you can do until ten am. The Marshals have the garages locked down until then. No crews allowed until four hours before the race. How come you’re here now?” Bobbie called to her Pit Crew Chief.

“I always walk the track before a race Bobbie. You would know that if you spent more time around the pit areas.” Chief Hailee called back as he climbed the ladder on the side of the trailer. Once he reached the top he climbed onto the trailer beside Bobbie. “I got to say that the shop teams did a fantastic job rebuilding those cars Speedy. They did MRI proud.”

“That they did Chief. I have to admit that I was surprised when mom and dad offered to rebuild those cars for the other teams. I mean all of them are the competition.” Bobbie snorted as the trucks lined up in their respective positions.

“I think that your parents are wanting to end the season on more than the just a win but a moral high ground of some kind. They’re not satisfied with walking away with the top four driver positions for the Drivers’ Championship and the Manufacturer’s Championship. They want to show the whole world that you and the others are the best in your field.” Chief Hailee told her with a sly smile. “Good enough that NASCAR should never have turned their backs on you girls.”

“Chief Hailee I could give a shit less about what those redneck cock suckers think about me. I proved myself two years ago. I’ve gotten invites from almost every NASCAR Team there is to drive for them next season.” Bobbie chuckled. “I think I had too much fun in turning them down.”

“Damn girl. I knew that you could hold a grudge, but that is just wrong. When are you going to let them off the hook?” Chief Hailee chuckled knowing that Bobbie had her reasons for being cold towards the NASCAR Teams.

“About five days before my contract with Mercedes runs out.” Bobbie snarked. “Anyway, it does make me feel good to be running against the full field. I didn’t want to win against just two thirds of the field. More than a few of those monkey nuts would stand back shouting that they were rob of the chance to prove they could beat me on my home track. If the Marshals had only let them race. They would have beaten me by a full lap or some shit. We both know who I’m talking about.”

“True they would pull some shit like that. Hell, I heard a few of the frogs bitching about MRI stepping up and helping them rebuild their cars. That our people would pull some shit with their cars. Like you, Beth, Jim, and Sam need to cheat.” Chief Hailee snorted. “I still can’t believe that you actually set an official track record for Qualifying yesterday. Hell, you beat all the old track records by four tenths of a second and two more miles on the speed record. I don’t know how you squeezed two-forty-one-point-seven out of that engine not blow it sky high, but you did. By all rights if they put restrictor plates on the engines now it won’t matter. You’ll still own the record for the fast Qualifying lap at Darlington.”

“That may be true Chief.” Bobbie sighed as she turned to look at turn 4 of Darlington. “But right over there is the great equalizer. That turn has ended more run for the checkered flag than any other in the world.”

“That may be true Bobbie.” Hailee chuckled. “But you know its history. So, you have the advantage. You know this track. You know what she’ll do. You know how she’ll change through the day. She might be unpredictable, but you know her moods the way you know your own. The Lady holds no mysteries for you. This race is yours.”

“Say that after I have completed four-hundred-and-sixty-two laps around this monster this afternoon.” Bobbie sighed as she looked towards the exit of turn 4. “That exit is going to eat cars like a chef that’s been on a starvation die for three days.”

“I don’t know Bobbie. There’s a fine group of drivers out here today. They’re all professional. They’ve learned that the Lady is an unforgiving bitch.” Chief Hailee told her with a heavy chuckle. “Especially those chuckleheads over at Reynolds.”

“They’re not the ones I’m worried about Chief. It’s Seth Fisher and Joel Franz that really worries me. Those two dumbasses are itching to prove that they’re the best. The only way they can do that now. Is to beat me on this track.” Bobbie sighed.

“That won’t be happening any time soon. There’s only three people that can possibly beat you on this track and they’re your teammates.” Chief Hailee snorted then corrected himself. “At least in the ISA. When it comes to NASCAR there are a few drivers that would give you a solid run for the money.”

“You just said a mouthful there Chief. I know I’m good. Hell. We both know that I’m one of the best.” Bobbie chuckled. “But I would have loved to go up against someone like Smoke, Rainbow Warrior, Rowdy, or Little E.”

“They would have given you a real challenge that’s for sure Bobbie.” Chief Hailee told her honestly then gave her a funny look. “What’s really on your mind kiddo?”

“I want your word Chief. Nothing goes back to the others.” Bobbie told him.

“Given kiddo. Now what’s eating you? For the last few weeks, you’ve been on edge.” Chief Hailee told her bluntly.

“I’m not positive but it might be back, Chief.” Bobbie whispered. It took Chief Hailee a few seconds to understand what Bobbie was talking about. “I haven’t even told Kathy yet. Not until I’m positive.”

“When did you find out?” Hailee asked her softly.

“Three days after the race in Atlanta. I wasn’t feeling too hot after the race. So, I went to the hospital the next morning. I was able to talk with one of their staff Oncologists. He ran some tests. He told me that he would contact me once I was back in Darlington with the results.” Bobbie sighed. “The results were inconclusive.”

“What has your Oncologist here said?” Chief Hailee asked her.

“I’ve already talked to Doctor Hathaway. He’s scheduled me for more tests next week. That’s the upside Chief.” Bobbie told him honestly then sighed once more. “The downside is that after today. My racing carrier is most likely going to be over. The Commission will never let me behind the wheel again.”

“Are you sure about that kid?” Chief Hailee asked her quietly.

“Pretty much. If I’m positive this will be the third time around for me. I barely got my ticket to begin with. There is no way they’ll let a third time slide.” Bobbie grunted. “Besides I got a feeling that this is the way I’m meant to go out. On top and all that shit. You know what I mean?”

“Sure kiddo. Anything I can do for you?” he asked her kindly.

“Just keep this between us for now. At least until the end of the race. If mom and dad find out before then.” Bobbie sighed.

“Yeah they’ll pull your ass out of that car faster than you can run a lap around this track.” Chief Hailee told her with a chuckle. “You want this win for more than just the championship. You want it to be the one you remember for the rest of your life. The one that didn’t get away. Is that it?”

“In more ways than one Chief. This is my home. I got to prove to myself that these last few years were more than just a dream. Sure, I got those trophies from all over the world in my home office to prove that they weren’t a dream.” Bobbie told him as she pointed towards where victory lane would be held later in the day. “But I don’t have one from here.”

“The one that counts. I get it now. This track has been your Moby Dick for so long that it drove you to be one of the best. Even your sister has commented on how much you have obsessed over the Lady. You’re the only driver I know that has colored photographic layouts of every track they’ve ever driven to a win at hanging from their garage walls. With one exception.” He told her as he waved towards the track around them. “Darlington Speedway is more than just your dream. It’s in your DNA. A trophy from this is place is more than just a hunk of shiny metal to you. It’s a validation of your skills and life as a world class professional driver.”

“It’s more than just that Chief Hailee. A trophy from this place is the only one that matters to me. Not even that four-foot tall monstrosity they call a championship cup. It might have my name on it already, but it holds nothing for me. I want that Darlington six-hundred inaugural cup for my trophy wall. It’s the only one that matters.” Bobbie giggled honestly. “I got a spot all measured out for it already.”

“Shit kid that cup is practically yours. They might as well hand it over to you and save the fuel. No one else can match your speed or control around this track.” Hailee chuckled. “Not even your sister was able to squeeze out the speed like you did yesterday. Hell, I don’t think anyone could have done what you did. Not even the greats of NASCAR could have done it. You set a record here that is going to stand for a long, long, long, time kiddo.”

“I don’t doubt that Chief. The Commission is already talking about restrictor plates for next year on some of our tracks. Not that I blame them. We have constantly been breaking the two-hundred mile mark on this circuit. Not that, that’s a bad thing. It’s just been us pushing our cars to their limits on tracks that are designed for those speeds.” Bobbie snorted as she waved her hand at the track. “Let’s be honest with each other. As much as I love this place. Darlington was never designed for two-hundred plus speeds. You make a mistake at this place at those speeds. You’re either in the hospital for a long time or dead.”

“That’s true. The Lady in Black is an unforgiving bitch on her best days.” Hailee snorted then chuckled. “Though you’re the only driver that I know of that has ever been able to sweet talk this whore into behaving like a lady.”

“Who ever said that I sweet talked this big bitch?” Bobbie snarked.

“Then what did you use?” Chief Hailee asked her waiting for the punch line.

“Whips, chains, ball gags, and a big assed strap on dildo.” Bobbie snarked. Chief Hailee knew Bobbie’s answer was going to be good, but he never expected this from her. Of all the things she could have said that wasn’t what he ever expected Bobbie say. Then again when it came to his driver. Chief Hailee never knew what she was going to do from one minute to the next. Bobbie chuckled along with her Crew Chief at her own joke. “The truth is I never got this bitch to give up her secrets Chief. She still holds more than just a few secrets. The biggest of which is turn four. For starters that wall kickout in the exit is a nasty bitch that will reach out and snatch a knot in your ass if you’re not looking.”

“Then there is the hump going over the tunnel in turns three and four. Seeing as how we’re working our way around the track let’s look at the other end. Sure, turns one and two are wider but the apex is an unforgiving bear trap waiting to snap. I won’t even go into the straightaways. We both know that there has been more than one unexplained wreck on those.” Hailee snorted. “Yet for some reason. You have always been able to put down constantly clear laps around here.”

“That’s because I respect this track more than any other, Chief. I know the name of every driver that has died here. Jessie William Stansell Jr. in fifty-two. Bob Scott in fifty-four. Bobby Meyers in in fifty-seven. The three support personnel in sixty. Paul McDuffie and Charles Sweatland, both mechanics for Joe Lee Johnson's team, and NASCAR official Joe Taylor. Whitson Buren Skeen in sixty-five being the last. The Lady may not have claimed as many lives as Indianapolis Motor Speedway or Daytona International Speedway, but she still has blood on her hands. Not all of that blood comes from deaths on her dress but more injuries than I care to count. A lot of them career ending.” Bobbie told her Crew Chief with a note of sadness. “I would have loved to race against just one of the greats here just once.”

“They would all have given you a real run for the money kiddo. Especially David Pearson, Dale Earnhardt Sr., and Jeff Gordon.” Hailee told her with a real smile of pride for his driver. “But only one of them has ever been considered a true master of the Lady like you. That’s David Pearson.”

The sounds of the garage area coming to life ended their conversation. Chief Hailee knew that he had to get his driver’s mind out of the dark place it had gone this morning. He elbowed her in her left arm and nodded towards the ladder.

“Do me a favor Speedy. Go spend the rest of the morning getting out of your head. You go out there thinking the way you are now. You’ll end up in the wall. We both know that this track will eat you alive if you don’t have your head in the game.” Hailee told her honestly. “I don’t want attended your funeral because your headspace and timing is off. If I see you before the drivers’ meeting and introduction. I’ll pull your ass and put Angelika Schellscheidt in for you.”

“Now that is uncalled for!” Bobbie snapped at the mention of the one female replacement driver that she couldn’t stand. Then she saw the grin on Chief Hailee’s face. “You are an evil, evil man you know Chief.”

“You’re just now figuring that out?” He snarked then pushed her towards the ladder. “Go! Get your head straight.”

“Fine. I’m going already. No need to get pushy.” Bobbie grumbled as she headed for the ladder before she started chuckling. “I think I’ll go for a right on the Knight. That always gets my head in the right place for a race. Besides, I know of a few other drivers that will be heading that way today.”

“Care to let me in on this little get together?” Hailee asked her grinning.

“Let’s just say that the clubs have been spreading the rumor that there’s more than one track in Darlington County that I’m the BTB.” Bobbie answered with a grin. Before she climbed down the trailer’s rooftop ladder.

Once they were on the ground Chief Hailee watched as his driver headed for the infield parking area for the drivers’ personal cars. His son Danny walked up behind him. “Was that Bobbie dad?”

“Yup. Found her on top of the trailer as usual.” Hailee told his son. Then sighing he turned to Danny. “Do me a favor today during the race Danny.”

“Sure, thing dad. Whatcha need?” Danny asked him.

“Pass the word to Kathy to keep an eye on Bobbie during the race. Bobbie’s got a lot on her mind. She needs this race in a bad way. I know the reason. I can’t share the reason, but it is a good one.” Chief Hailee told his son.

“Can do dad. I know that Speedy means a lot to you and this team. I’m not the only one that owes her. This whole team owes that little lady more than we can ever repay. I won’t even go into what the Formula One side of the house owes her.” Danny told him honestly. “Where is she heading now?”

“Where else. The Knight is about to get a new layer of rubber.” Hailee chuckled.

Darlington Knights Speedway

Beth, Sam, and Jimmy had been at the road course scene sunrise. They were slightly surprised that Bobbie wasn’t already at the track. All three of them had been putting down some of the hottest laps for the Knight. They kind of had too. When every former Formula One Driver had shown up with their personal cars they accepted the challenge they represented with a smile. No one was going to say that the Street Rats ever back backed down from a challenge. Even if one had never been issued.

It wasn’t as if they wouldn’t be facing the same drivers later in the day on the Lady. It was simply the priceable of the matter. This was their real home track. The one that they had gone out of their way to restore and expand the old AMC test track. They had turned it into a true road course track befitting found on the professional circuits. No one knew that they were the real owners of the track. The Darlington Knights car club may have been the original owners, but it was thanks to McGuire sisters’ quiet donations in the first year that helped to finish the restoration and expansion. The so-called board of directs were the presidents of the local car clubs, and they handled the day-to-day business of running the track.

They all got a laugh out of how the local talent was showing their skills on the track by trouncing the professional Formula One drivers. More than one of them had lost a head-to-head race against the local car club drivers. Then again the locals all had the advantage of actually knowing the track. They weren’t showing the pros any respect. They had all heard of the treatment that the F1 drivers had shown towards their heroes. There was one thing that all of the car clubs didn’t put up with from outsiders. That was disrespecting the drivers of MRI. The only F1 drivers that didn’t disrespect the MRI drivers were the Mercedes-Benz drivers. Then again those drivers were members of the MRI family.

One of the more friendly F1 drivers walked up to the trio asking with a heavy Italian accent. “Beth! Bello! Where is your sister? We all want to race her.”

“Your guess is as good as mine, Gerino.” Beth answered the Italian driver from Prototype Outcasts with a chuckle. “Though if I know her Gerino. She’ll be here in about ten to fifteen minutes.”

With Beth answer the Italian smiled and turned around heading back to his car. Beth smiled as she took in the four Italian sports cars. She wanted to chuckle at how all four of the Italian drivers driving Vector M12s. Sports cars that were built in America by Vector Motors Corporation. Originally an American owned car company that was bailed out by Lamborghini owned Megatech. Beth could see the attraction of the cars. They’re fast, nimble, and fun to drive.

“Hey Sam! Where is Bobbie? I see all the other Steel Rats. Where the top dog?” Asked the president of the Ridge Runners.

“She’ll be here shortly Jimbo. Give her time. You know that Sundays are always her decompression days.” Sam answered the driver’s question with a wave that sent him on his way. “Damn! Beth where the hell is Bobbie?”

“She’ll be here Sam. Just give her time.” Beth told her friend and fellow driver.

“Beth I got to ask. Has Bobbie seemed like she’s been off her game lately?” Jim asked her with real concern in his voice.

“Don’t worry guys. Bobbie is fine. She just wants today’s win in a major way.” Beth told her friends with a heavy sigh. “Let me correct that. She needs the win today.”

“What’s going on with her Beth? Why does she need the win today?” Sam asked her.

“Darlington is her Moby Dick guys. Our home track is her great white whale. She has a place in her office for the trophy that sits center place. Not even that monster for winning the Drivers’ Championship holds the same meaning to her. The only trophy that holds even more meaning for her. Is the Southern Five-hundred.” Beth explained.

“Tell me something Beth. Does Bobbie really have the colored photographic layouts for every track she has a win at?” Sam asked her kindly.

“You mean to tell me that neither of you have ever been out to my sister’s farm?” Beth gasped in amazement. When both men nodded their heads Beth could only chuckle. “Next weekend we’ll all go out to her place for a Bar-B-Q. I’ll get her to show you her pride and joy out in her privet garage. I love my sister, but she has a twisted way of celebrating her wins. Those printouts are like the heads that hunters mount on their walls. Each one has the date and time of the win printed on them.”

“Damn that sounds cool as shit. I know that I got eight trophies and Jim has seven in our offices from our time in Sprint cup.” Sam chuckled. “But Bobbie has to have more than twice that number from all over the world.”

“Bobbie has one win at all most every track in the Formula One circuit plus the eight for this season. When you count her Rookie of The Year trophy for Formula One and this year’s Championship trophy. That brings her total to twenty-nine trophies. She only needs today’s win to give her thirty.” Beth chuckled.

“How many do you have Beth?” Jimi asked her.

“Fifteen and counting, Jimmy. I really hate to say this, but Bobbie has always been a better driver than I ever dreamed of being. She is the only person that know that can constantly out drive my ass. You guys have never really seen her go all out behind the wheel. Not even the times when she has been pissed off has she gone out all.” Beth told them honestly. Then turned thoughtful as she gathered her thoughts. “Something comes over her when she goes all out. I’ve seen her take a car and turn it into a demon of speed come straight from Hell.”

“Beth I hate to say this, but Bobbie does that all the time. It doesn’t matter if it’s behind the wheel of a Formula One car, Stockcar, or her Viper. The second she gets behind the wheel to race. All bets are off.” Jim chuckled.

“Guys. Trust me on this matter. You’ve never seen her go all out. I have. Yesterday was only the warmup for what she’ll do today.” Beth warned them.

“What does that mean lassie?” The question drew the attention of the three drivers. As one they turned to find Robert McNair standing behind them. “What do you know about my boss that we don’t?”

“How’s it going Robert? We were expecting you to be here this morning.” Sam said as he held out his hand in greeting to the retired driver. After shaking hands with each member of the MRI Stockcar team McNair chuckled.

“Our season is over with, and my drivers were wanting to do something fun to relax.” McNair chuckled as he looked out at the track. “Why they would consider racing around this place as relaxing is beyond me.”

“Have you ever run a lap around the Knight Mac?” Jim asked him with a sly smile.

“Can say that I have had the pleasure. Why?” McNair asked in confusion.

“Here. Take mine. Do a lap or two. Then ask me that question again.” Sam said as he hand the retired racer the keys to his Ford Mustang Cobra.

“Okay lad. See you in about ten to fifteen minutes.” With that McNair walked over to the Ford. Once he was behind the wheel of the car McNair took off.

The distinctive sound of Bobbie’s 8.0L; 487.6 cu in Viper V10 engine could be heard shortly after McNair left pit road. All three turned to face the direction of the main gate. The sound of that engine also drew the attention of the other drivers in the area. The ones wearing car club jackets smiled while the professionals just wore looks of confusion. For the three senior members of the Street Rats, it was the sound of their club’s president arriving.

“Here comes the Knight’s Queen. Our resident HBIC.” Tony More snarked as he walked pass them towards his own car. “Time for me to get the Ridge Runners off the track.”

“Right behind you Tony. The Flying Werewolves want nothing to do with racing that crazy bitch. McGuire has a bad habit of auctioning off high-performance cars for fun. I think the last time Bobbie showed up out here she left here with ten of our cars.” Steve Whitmire called out as he ran towards the track wall.

“Guys you can relax. Bobbie promised Kelly not to go wining any more cars.” Beth called out to the other car club presidents. Her yell brought about a round of laughs from the gathered drivers. They all knew that Bobbie only backed down to her wife. “Besides if she wins anymore she’ll have to open her own dealership to avoid the extra property taxes and insurance bills.”

“You can say that again.” Jim snarked then chuckled. “By the way how much did she raise at the auction she held?”

“Four-hundred-and-ninety-seven-thousand.” Judy Hightower said as she walked up to Beth and gave her a hug. “How’re you doing sis?”

“Not bad kiddo. If you’re looking for your brother. He should be over Darlington Speedway with the rest of the pit crew.” Beth told her kid sister-in-law.

“I’m not out here for that lug head brother of mine. I’m out here to test out my new car.” The teenager giggled as she pointed to a dark blue 1974 Lancia Stratos. “I found it on the back lot of Summerset Junkyard in Arizona. I paid three-hundred for the chassis. Another two grand shipping it home. Plus, another eight grand in pairs, parts, and paint. Not to mention a six months of blood, sweat, and tears to get her running again.”

“Way to go kiddo. Has Tony seen her yet?” Beth asked her with real pride.

“Nope. Today is the first day that Blue Bell has been out of the garage.” Judy giggled with pride in her hard work.

“Hi guys. Whose POS Stratos is that cluttering up our track?” Bobbie asked with a knowing smile as she pulled Judy into a hug. “You did a good job on the restoration kid. I can tell that you put in a lot of hard work.”

“Got the bloody knuckles to prove it.” Judy chuckled. Then jiggled the keys. “What to go for a test ride Bobbie?”

“Not this time Judy. There’s a tradition here at the Knight. The first time a driver brings a fresh car to the track. They make the first round around the track on their own. No riders, no other drivers, and no spotters. It’s all down to just your skills and your car against the track. It is a solo run.” Bobbie told her kindly as she pushed the teenager towards her car. “Now get ready for your run. We’ll clear the track for you.”

“Tim throw the yellow/blue flag and clear the track.” Sam called out to the current flagman at the end of the pit road. “Got fresh meat making their first run.”

Tim Conley just pulled out the yellow flag with blue diagonal strip and waved it. All the drivers that came to the Knight were given a list of the flags that were used there. The yellow/blue meant to clear the track. As Judy was getting her car ready for her first run around the track every driver cleared the course. Bobbie walked over to Judy’s car carrying one of her spear helmets and gloves. Bobbie was surprised to find that Judy already had a pair of gloves and helmet.

“Tony told me that if I wanted to be taken seriously as a driver. I needed my own helmet and gloves.” Judy giggled as she pulled on her helmet and started the engine for her car. She gave Bobbie a thumbs up when she pounded on the roof of the car. With a smile Bobbie pointed towards the exit of pit road onto the track. The sound of the 148 cu in Ferrari Dino V6 engine brought a smile to Bobbie’s face. Judy must have scoured every junkyard, and after market parts manufacture for the engine. As Bobbie returned to her sister and friends she couldn’t believe the detail lengths that the teenager went to for her car.

“Beth, Sam, Jim, when she gets back in here. We go over that car with a fine toothcomb. That girl put a shit load of hard and detailed work into that car. That paint job is just the starters. That is the original dark blue that Lancia put on their cars in the seventies. I don’t nowhere she found the formula for the paint, but it must have cost her an arm and a leg.” Bobbie pointed out.

“She had to special order the paint from Valspar.” Stephany Slone said as she walked up with Bobbie’s younger brother Joey. “We had to go with an aftermarket supplier for her engine and transmission. Getting the electrical system sorted out was a real bitch. We had to search more than twenty websites before we found the schematics for the bitch. I won’t even go into the sheer amount of bodywork that had to be done. It might have been mostly intact, but it was missing the hood and front finders. Those we had to fabricate from scratch.”

“Damn girl. Your Blue Devils have real turned your family’s shop into a real restoration shop. What got you started on doing restorations?” Jim asked her.

“The club’s GTO.” Stephany told them with a smile as she pointed to where Bobbie’s old 1969 GTO J model sat. It was no longer painted blueberry black but a deep neon blue befitting its place as the club for the Blue Devils. “She might not be the fastest anymore, but she’ll still turn heads at the dance.”

“That she does, Stephany. She looks really good. How long as she been on the road?” Beth asked her soon to be sister-in-law.

“We finished off the restoration shortly before you guys raced at Atlanta. We took her back down to the frame after Bobbie signed over the pink slip. The guys wanted to do her up right. We reenforced the frame then went from there. The guys did get a little carried away. They really wanted to rebuild her the way you had originally set her as a street racer. I had to point out that the frame won’t stand up to the stresses of racing after the firebombing.” Stephany told them. “Though she’ll still handle like the family cruiser that she was designed to be.”

“Can she handle her old lover behind the wheel for two laps?” Bobbie asked with a grin. “or is she ready to be put out to pasture?”

“Bobbie if anyone can handle the Beast on this track it is you.” Stephany chuckled as she hand her the keys to her old car. “Gone on and take her for a spin once Judy comes back in from her run.”

“Sorry but that’s not going to happen Stephany. Bobbie owes us a race around this track in her own car first.” Raniero Accomando told her as he walked up smiling to the MRI drivers. “Good to see you Roberta. We were being to think you would not show. We know that we don’t stand a chance against at Darlington. This is the only place around that puts us all on equal footing.”

“We race for pink slips or green backs around here Raniero. You can only use what you arrived in. You know what that means right?” Bobbie said.

“Winner gets the loser’s car or cash. You can only use the car that you drove here in. No ringers as you say Americans say.” Raniero answered with a grin. “It also means that if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying.”

“I always knew that you were smarter than you looked, Raniero.” Bobbie grinned. Then pointed to the four M12s. “Which one is yours?”

“Why do you want to know?” Raniero asked her with his head cocked to the side.

“Because I have always been partial to purple.” Bobbie told him knowing that the purple M12 was Raniero’s car. “It’ll look nice next to other purple classic cars.”

“You consider a ninety-seven Vector Motors Corporation M-twelve a classical car?” The Italian driver asked her in surprise. “It is barely twenty-five years old.”

“By American laws and tradition any car that is more than twenty years old or no longer in production is classified as a Classic. The Victor M twelve fits both of those categories. As it stands right now I currently own twenty-seven classic sports cars. All of which are American made. Your M twelve will be right at home with the rest of my collection.” Bobbie snarked as she eyed Raneiro’s car.

“What will you be putting up?” Raneiro asked her bluntly.

“Just a Second generation Dodge Viper GTS ‘double bubble’ coupé.” Bobbie grinned evilly as Raneiro’s mouth fell open in surprise. “Still wanting to race for pinks?”

“Before you make up your mind Ranerio. You should know something about Bobbie’s Viper. That beast might look like it came off the assembly line yesterday.” Sam told the Italian with a grin. “But it has been heavily modified for street racing.”

“How heavily modified?” Ranerio asked him.

“Let’s just say that Bobbie could put her Viper on any Formula One track in the world and win. Without breaking a sweat or pushing her car to the limits.” Jim told the man with a heavy chuckle. “Look take some advice. Just walk away before from the challenge before you lose that car of yours.”

“And Ranerio you also know that no one, I do mean no one; has ever beaten Bobbie McGuire on the Knight.” Beth told the man with an evil grin. “That includes me.”

“Someone who has never beaten her on equal footing on the Formula One tracks has zero chance against her here. Especially if she is driving her own car. A car that she has spent more than thirteen grand in modifying.” Stephany told the professional driver with a wicket grin. “I think I’m the only person who has even half an idea of what all she has under that chassis.”

“And if I don’t walk away?” Ranerio asked her.

“Save yourself the trouble and just sign over the pink slip to your car.” Stephany told him bluntly. “Because she’ll be loading it onto the back of a flatbed at the end of the day. That is a fact not wishful thinking.”

“Is Bobbie really that good of a street racer?” Sabina Altimari asked as she walked up to them. When all five nodded their heads yes Sabina turned to Ranerio. “Let’s go Ranerio. Before we end up walking to the speedway this afternoon.”

As the two Italian drivers returned to their friends Stephany chuckled. “Damn. I was hoping they would have kept pushing for a race against Bobbie. Those M twelves would have been prefect for the next auction.”

“Forget about it Stephany. I knew those four wouldn’t put up their cars. They got way too much invested their restoration. I found an M twelve on the back lot of Batesburg Leesville Pick-n-Pull a little over five years ago. It would have cost me two grand for that rusted hulk just to pull it from the yard. Another fourteen to fifteen grand to restore it to running condition. Plus, twenty to thirty grand to bring it up to safety standards.” Bobbie told her honestly.

“I found one outside of Phoenix, Arizona in twenty-fifteen that needed a full rear end. Just to buy it off of the yard would have been fifteen grand.” Sam told her. “I won’t even go into how much it would have cost me to restore it.”

“That’s why I wanted those four cars. Each of them is worth seventy to eighty thousand in fully restored condition.” Stephany snorted. “The purple one is worth at least a hundred grand. That would have been a nice boost to the Children’s Hospital found. Which is running a little low.”

“How low Stephany?” Jim asked for Bobbie.

“We’re down to less than one hundred grand.” She answered honestly.

“Would a five-hundred grand donation help?” Bobbie asked thinking about the winner’s purse for today’s race. She knew that she or one of the others would be today’s winner. “Along with a matching donation from my personal account?”

“I’ll match that donation Stephany.” Beth told her.

“Same for us.” Sam told her after looking over at Jim who was nodding his head.

“I’ll give as well Stephany.” Violet Knight told her as she and the rest of the Bisbee Snider drivers walked up to them. “Bobbie when you said that the Darlington Knight was a nasty piece of work. You weren’t kidding.”

“I warned you.” Bobbie told her with a giggle. “If you think this place is bad. Wait until this afternoon. I’ll tell you now guys. The Lady is going to go through a massive change throughout the day.”

“Violet, there used to be a joke about Darlington Speedway and the races that are held there. If you want to place a bet on the winner. Pick one of the tow trucks.” Jim told them with a grin.

“Were there really that many wrecks in the old days?” Caleb McLean asked.

“Who said anything about it being the old days. Last year during the Southern five-hundred there were sixteen wrecks. Out of the forty cars that started the race only nineteen crossed the finish line on the lead lap.” Sam snarked.

“What odds are you giving for the number of cars that finish today’s race?” Caleb asked both Jim and Sam. The two men looked over at Stephany.

“Maybe twenty five at most. The way I got it figured. You’ll have five to six single car wrecks in the first stage. Stage two will run relatively clean with only two or three single car wrecks. At the being of stage three around lap four-fifty to four-seventy-five the Big One will happen. At least half the remaining field will get caught up in the wreck. If I got my calculations correct.” Stephany told them.

“I got a c-note that says we have at least thirty crossing the finish line on the lead lap.” Bobbie told her as she pulled out her wallet and the forementioned bill.

“Not happening Bobbie.” Stephany giggled. “You would make sure that at least that many crossed the line to win our bet.”

“Now why would you say such a mean thing?” Bobbie pouted. Only to get a laugh from her friends and sister. “okay yeah I would do something like that.”

“Bobbie you do know that you are the odds on favorite to win today’s race. Hell, every bookie from Monti Carlo to Shanghai to Las Vegas is refusing to take bets placed on you wining. They’re only taking bets for you losing.” Stephany told her honestly. “Which are one-in-one-hundred-and-forty-seven. So, if you do happen to loose. Everyone and their brother-in-law is going to scream that the race was fixed. At least that is what I see happening.”

“Holy shit. Talk about staking the odds against interference by outsiders.” Beth griped. “Just think about the sheer number of pissed off bookies. If someone screws with today’s race like they did in Japan. I really don’t even want to be on the same continent let alone in the same county.”

“It’ll be far worse than what happened in Japan, Beth. If someone were to screw with today’s race. Every mob in the world will be after the knuckleheads.” Jim snorted. “It’ll be the hounds of hell raging across the world.”

“Then I guess we need to ride four Demons of Speed straight down the throats of the competition.” Bobbie told the gathered drivers as she looked over into the faces of the Bisbee Snider team. “Sorry about this guys but that means you.”

Violet looked at her friends and grinned. “You know something guys. I think we were going to get our asses handed to us on a silver platter this afternoon.”

“If you’re smart. You won’t get in Bobbie’s way.” Beth told them all with a smile.

“Because we sure as hell won’t be in her fucking way. Pick any other track in the world I would challenge her.” Jim told them as Bobbie blushed. “But not here and definitely not at Darlington Speedway. You’re good Violet. I’ll give you that much.”

“But you’re nowhere near good enough to take on Bobbie McGuire at either track in Darlington County.” Sam told her bluntly. Then when in for the kill. “The only driver in the ISA that stands a chance against her here or over at the Lady is her Beth McGuire. Anyone else is just marking time doing laps.”

“Not even I’m going to take bets on that outcome.” Stephany snarked. “Beth’s good, but Bobbie has always been better.”

“Today she’ll prove that fact to the world.” Bob McGuire told the gathered drivers as he walked up to them. Bob gave the Bisbee Snider team a harsh look. “I suggest that you all head over to the Lady now. You’ll need all the time you can get to be ready for the race today. Six-hundred miles at Darlington Speedway will unlike any other track in the world. She is a one of a kind, unforgiving, ice-cold, heartless, bitch with a ten-inch stainless steel strap on. She’ll be looking to ruthlessly fuck one of you in the ass.”

“Damn Chief McGuire. You make it sound like Darlington Speedway is some kind of monster.” Seth Fisher snarked only to get a death glare from Bob.

“Listen up you ignorant ass. You’ve already plowed it in once already. The Lady doesn’t forget those who disrespect her. She has ruined more than one driver’s dreams of glory. You have already felt her displeasure, boy.” Bob snarled as he got right up in Seth Fisher’s face. “You got lucky the first time. You got off with just a blown tire, and most bent sheet metal. Next time. She might take your life.”

“Seth take some advice. Pull you head out of your ass. You go out there today thinking that you can just out race the field. You’ll end up dead. This speedway you race the track not the field. You forget that and you’ll never finish the race.” Bobbie told him bluntly. “The Lady will change throughout the race. Sooner or later, she’ll get tired of us running around her dress. That is when she come after you. It be so fast that there’ll be nothing you can do but hang on for the ride.”

“Chief McGuire will the track really change that fast?” Caleb McLean asked Bob.

“Faster than quicksilver lightning Caleb.” Bob answered honestly.

“Guys I know that I’ve tried to warn you over the pass week about the Lady. You’ve all ignored me. Well, this is the last time I’m going to warn you. Race the track and not the field.” Bobbie told them before turning to the rest of MRI. “Time to get going guys. We’ve got a race to win.”

-----TBC-----

P.S.- Sorry for the delay in postings. For the last month I’ve been traveling with the junior and senior members of my 4H club. We did not get home until Friday. I’ll be back to my normal posting schedule within a few days.

up
273 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If you just returned on

If you just returned on Friday, I suspect you shouldn't have posted this installment. Your daughter is going to steal your computer again if you don't get your rest.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Grim Reaper

Again? Damn, let's hope poor Bobbie can escape him, again. Maybe the same "cocktail"'ll help again?

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Listen to experience

Jamie Lee's picture

Darlington isn't the only thing that eats lunch with those to arrogant to take the advice from experienced people. And too often, those arrogant people make that realization shortly before they die.

Bobbie is facing possibly two demons at today's race, the Darlington track and the possibility of the return of cancer. Both quite capable of taking lives. Hopefully, it's only the Lady he ends up fighting.

Others have feelings too.