Speedway Demons -chapter 22

Printer-friendly version


Speed Demons


Total number of drivers 40. Number of company teams 10. Number of tracks 20. Number of countries 12. Time frame 6 months. Number of Fallen Angels hooked on speed 2. The McGuire sisters are and they’re out for blood in the newly founded International Stockcar Racing Association. After two years driving the Formula One circuit Professional Drivers Roberta Bobbie McGuire and her sister Elisabeth ‘Beth’ McGuire have made real names for themselves. The two young ladies took the world by storm in their first year by placing 3rd and 4th in the Championship points race. Now their plans and dreams of starting in the International Stockcar Association have come to fruition. The Fury twins plan to prove to the world they belong in Stockcar Racing. And they don’t care who they have to put into the wall to bring home the inaugural championship.


Chapter 22
Pentahotel Moscow, Moscow, Russia, Thursday: 2230

Bobbie escorted Kelly into the banquet room of the Pentahotel Moscow with a smile. With two straight wins she was back in the top-five of the Driver’s Championship Race. She, Beth, Jim, and Sam were in a four-way tie for third place. This weekend they were at the type of track she loved the most, a triangle. The Moscow Superspeedway is a copy of Pocono Speedway, but it is on a whole new scale.

Unlike Pocono’s asphalt covered 2.5 miles. Moscow’s track was 5 miles of asphalt fury. There were a few other differences. The biggest of which was the banking in the turns. At Pocono the banking in Turn 1 was 14°, Turn 2 is 8°, and Turn 3 is at 6°. Then there was the straightaways. Pocono’s main straightaway is the longest on any North American speedway at 3,740 feet, the “Long Pond” straightaway stretches for 3,055 feet between Turns One and Two, while the run from Turn Two to Turn Three is a mere 1,780 feet. Moscow has all of Pocono’s best and worst features. Only on a much larger scale. As Bobbie told Kelly earlier that morning. “This track maybe a copy of the Tricky Triangle, but it’s more like the Bermuda Triangle.”

The couple were surprised at the number of guests at the sponsor party. While they were both wearing cocktail dresses. You could still tell that even after three years of wearing dresses Bobbie was still uncomfortable in her dress. Most of the sponsors and other drivers knew that Bobbie would rather be wearing her trademark riding breeches and flied boots. As for Kelly being at her side. The other drivers knew not to try their luck. Bobbie McGuire was known for two things in the world of professional race car drivers. Her skill behind the wheel and her violent temper.

Though tonight’s party would be slightly different from other sponsor parties. The reason for this was the number of drivers from different sports. Thanks to two unforeseen disasters Moscow would host races for Formula One and Indy car racing this weekend on top of the ISA race. The first was a fire in the garage area at Sochi. The second was the damage caused by earthquake at Sao Paulo. Thanks to the rescheduling of the two open wheel circuit races there were three times the number of drivers at the sponsor parties.

The owner of the Moscow Superspeedway had offered the use of his track so that the two other sports wouldn’t have to cancel their races completely. Not too say the man was totally altruistic in his offer. By giving the other two sports a chance to race at his track on the same weekend of the inaugural race he had setup a festival atmosphere. One that was very similar to Dayton’s Speedweek. Only here it was a mix of Formula One, Indy car, and Stockcar as the finality. Bobbie had to give it to the owner of the track for his savvy promotional skills. She had a feeling that this festival would become a yearly event. She even liked the name he had picked out for his festival. It tickled her funny bone in a twisted sort of way. Fire storm at the Triangle.

“Well now. There’s the two bonny lashes I’ve been looking forward to see.” The thick English accent of MacNair had Bobbie and Kelly turn around to face the big man. “Glade to see you back in the top five Bobbie.”

“It feels good to be back in the top five Mac. Thanks to those blown engines we were almost out of the race for the year. Those wins at both Berlin and Lausitzring really helped out our situation a lot more than we want to let on. At least now it’ll be a real race for the championship.” Bobbie chuckled. “I know this is going to sound crazy but how are things going with the Formula One teams?”

“Not bad considering our late start in the season. We won’t win any championships but we’re giving the more proven teams a run for their money. Next year we’ll put them stupid cunts on the heels.” Mac chuckled evilly then turned sober. “That’s if our luck holds out and no one gets hurt.”

“Well at least you know there’s a talent pool to draw from for replacement drivers if that happens. We didn’t have that the first season me and Beth drove the circuit. We really were a shoestring operation that season.” Bobbie told the big man kindly.

“You could have fooled us, Bobbie. The way you and your sister drove scare the crap out of most of us.” All three turned to face the newcomer. “Even now those drivers you lined up for Mac are scary behind the wheel. Where did you find them?”

“Nice to see you again Fantasia. I thought that you were retiring last year?” Bobbie said in way of greeting to Narseo Fantasia. She actually liked the older Italian team owner. To her this man had real class.

“I was but my son is not yet ready to take over for me. He wants to finish his schooling before taking over for me.” Fantasia explained with regret.

“Narseo why don’t you let your daughter take over for you?” Kelly asked him.

“I would if the drivers respected her.” The swarthy Italian chuckled. “They don’t see her as a real manager or owner.”

“Tell them to look at Bobbie. She is both an owner and a driver. I know that none of your current drivers ever beat her on the track. Now that she is an owner she is still stomping their asses into the mud.” Mac snorted bluntly. “Trust me Narseo. You let that little girl of yours take over for you. In two years she be putting trophies on the wall for you. Let your son go be a doctor the way he wants. The true future of your organization lays with that daughter of yours.”

“Alright Mac. I’ll do it.” Narseo snorted. “But if after two years If I don’t see new trophies on my wall. I’m coming after your ass.”

“Don’t worry Narseo. Francisca will make you proud. That young lady knows more about Formula One cars than most of their drivers and designers.” Kelly chuckled then hugged Bobbie. “With a few notable exceptions.”

“And you’re an impartial judge for that quality in drivers?” Narseo asked with a friendly chuckle. “Though in our flied MRI has always been a threat.”

“Not just Formula One Narseo. They have been a threat in every field that they ply their trade.” A fourth voice said as a blonde hair German joined their talk. “It doesn’t matter what the field. I should know. I have one of their powerplants in my car. They’re true demons of speed.”

“Hello Fritz. Nice to hear that someone likes our designs.” Bobbie said as she held out her hand to the Indy car driver Fritz Holtz. “If you ever decide to join MRI. I’ll form an Indy car team just for you.”

“That’s quite the offer Fritz. I think I’ve only heard Roberta McGuire make that kind of offer once before.” MacNair said with a straight face.

“Who did she make the offer to, MacNair?” Narseo asked the big Englishman.

“Sorry old boy but that would be talking out of school as the Americans say.” MacNair chuckled as he gave Bobbie a look of conspiracy. “Though I can say that the individual has been enjoying their retirement job. All while being as close to the action in one of the fastest sports as possible.”

“While not getting dirty or placing their ass on the line.” Bobbie finished with a chuckle of her own. Bobbie turned to the Italian. “How about it Fritz? You game?”

“Can I have a few days to think it over Bobbie?” Fritz asked her.

“Sure. As it stands right now I don’t have an Indy car team.” Bobbie told him honestly then went in for the kill. “Though I heard a nasty rumor at the last sponsorship party. Is it true that this is your last season?”

“Ja. My frau wants me to retire after this season. She is tired of me putting my life in danger. Not that I blame her. I want to see my kinder marry and have kinder of their own.” Fritz chuckled heavily. “My son wants to take over for me.”

“Is the boy any good Fritz?” MacNair asked quickly.

“Good enough to replace me.” Fritz answered with pride. Then gave Bobbie a lopsided grin. “Though not good enough to go head-to-head with the McGuire sisters.”

“There are very few drivers that can go head-to-head with the Fury sisters, Fritz.” Kelly told the man honestly. “Now that she’s returned to racing Stockcars. Lets just say that the number of drivers that can compete against her has dropped.”

“After the last two races I have to agree. Seeing as how the enter MRI team has jumped into a four-way tie for third place. Not to mention putting MRI in second place for the Manufacturer’s Championship.” MacNair pointed out for Fritz.

“I would put it down to nothing more than luck on their part.” Snarked a new arrival. “Because they definitely don’t have the skills to be real racers.”

“You know something Carrell. You keep running your fucking mouth. Sooner or later, someone is going to put your ass into the wall. It might not be the drivers of MRI, but you can be sure that someone will.” MacNair warned the Frenchman coldly. “You can take that to the bank boy.”

“They can try, MacNair.” Carrell retorted as turned to walk away. “But why should I lessen to a dried-up old has-been?”

“Bobbie do us all a favor tomorrow. You get the chance put that worthless piece of shit into the wall.” Narseo snarled.

“I’m surprised that she hasn’t already. Though over the last two years Bobbie has learned restraint.” Jewels McGuire said as she walked up behind MacNair. She gave Bobbie and Kelly each a quick hug and kissed them on the cheek. “You look lovely this evening girls. Have either of you seen Beth and Tony?”

“No ma’am. We just got here about fifteen to twenty minutes ago. I do know that they left their room before we left ours.” Kelly answered quickly.

“Damn. I was hoping to catch her before Julie does.” Jewels grumbled.

“What do you need to see her for mom?” Bobbie asked quickly as she scanned the crowd for Julie and her sister.

“I just need to talk with Bobbie.” Jewels grunted. Then seeing the look in Bobbie’s eyes relented. “Izzy is in town. She wants to talk with both you and her about the upcoming race in Toledo, Spain.”

“Please tell me that she doesn’t want us to walk that fucking show?” Bobbie grumbled.

“What show are you talking about?” Jewels asked her.

“She’s promoting an up-and-coming new clothing designer. Izzy called me three weeks ago trying to get me to arrange for Bobbie to walk this guys opening show.” Kelly explained with a friendly smile.

“That explains the message I got from Julie.” Jewels sighed. “I swear if she wasn’t such a good friend of the family.”

“Relax mom. We got this covered.” Kelly told her with a chuckle. “I already told her that Bobbie and Beth are booked that weekend.”

“Thank you dear. Now, if you’ll excuse me. I still need to find your sister. She owes me twenty-bucks for last week’s race mix.” Jewels mumbled.

“Wait! I thought it was Jim who put tighter that racing mix.” Bobbie bitched.

“Nope. I was the one to load that race mix, but it was your sister who put it together. I would have thought that the mix choice gave it away.” Jewels smiled. “After all the last time I looked only your sister listens to Pat Benatar.”

“I’m going to kill her.” Bobbie snarled good naturally as the others chuckled. They all knew that Bobbie loved her sister dearly. That the only time that love got put on hold was during the last lap of a race.

“Don’t bitch to hard Roberta. That mix got your head in the game for that track.” Jewels chuckled as she turned and left her daughters after collecting the 20 bucks.

“Bobbie what was that all about?” MacNair asked her.

“It’s become a game for the pit crews and drivers, Mac. The challenge is as follows. Whoever can get ahold of Bobbie’s iPod and upload a new race mix wins. To enter you also have to put up twenty dollars. You can work on your own or as a team of no more than three. The only two people who are not allowed to compete are me, our Nanny Susan and people not part of MRI.” Kelly quickly explained for MacNair.

“Why was I informed of this little challenge?” MacNair grumbled.

“Last time I looked you’re dealing with the Formula One teams. That disqualifies you from the game.” Bobbie pointed out with a friendly smile. “Besides. I doubt that I could handle bagpipes and drums for five hundred miles.”

“Daft crazy woman. I wouldn’t do that to my worst enemy. Let alone to someone I like.” MacNair chuckled evilly.

“Okay knock it off you idiots.” Bobbie grumbled. She took Kelly by the hand and pulled. “I need a drink and a dance with my lovely wife.”

As the young couple walked Narseo looked over at Fritz and MacNair. “There goes the most powerful couple in all of racing. I don’t care what field it is in.”

“Narseo has anyone ever accused you of having a gift for understatement?” MacNair asked the man bluntly.

“On a few occasions I have been accused of that gift, my friend.” Narseo chuckled. “Though not lately and never to my face.”

“Then it’s about damned time. Though I do have to agree with you about the McGuire ladies. They are scary in ways that even the Gods of speed fear.” Fritz snarked.

“Tell me something Fritz. Are you going to take Bobbie up on her offer?” Narseo asked the man politely.

“To tell you the truth Mac. I think I would be a fool to turn her down.” Fritz told with an honesty and relief he hadn’t felt in years.

“Smartest damned decision you’ve made in years, Fritz my boy.” MacNair said as he slapped the German on the back. “Now let’s follow the ladies’ example. First round is on me. After that you’re buying Fritz.”

Moscow Superspeedway, Russia, Friday: 1130

Beth, Jim, and Sam stood atop of Beth’s transport trail watching Bobbie make her practice runs. They could tell by the way Bobbie’s car was handling that this triangle was three times more dangerous than Pocono. More than once, Bobbie was almost sideways in the turns. If they had been listening in on her radio they would have heard her swearing up a blue streak five miles long and sixty feet wide.

“I got a feeling that Bobbie is going to be pissed beyond belief when she pulls into the pit.” Jim snarked as Bobbie went through turn 2. “Damn she almost went sideways in that turn. What the hell is going on with her today?”

“I think I know. Tomorrow is an anniversary.” Beth told them softly. She didn’t want to tell the two men how much the death of Bobbie’s childhood friend still affected her sister. Tomorrow’s race was going to be one for the record books. If not for the race itself but the fact that Bobbie McGuire the Demoness of Speed was going to be racing with an angel on her shoulder. An angel named Lisa Hill.

“Oh damn. I forgot. Tomorrow’s is Lisa’s day.” Sam sighed as he remembered the girl that had been the driving force behind the team’s ace driver.

“Shit! I’m an asshole. We all are.” Jim grumbled as he slapped his forehead.

“Forget about it guys. All we can do is stay out of her way tomorrow during the race.” Beth told them both knowingly. “Bobbie will run her race and there is nothing that we can do to change that fact.”

“How do you see it playing out Beth?” Jim asked her.

“She’ll take the pole during qualifying later today. Then tomorrow she’ll do her little disappearing act before the race. If she doesn’t do it today. Either way come the green flag Bobbie will drop the hammer. The only thing we’ll see of her for the rest of the race will be her rear end. When her car pulls into her pit for fuel and tires the hood will be glowing from reentry friction.” Beth chuckled.

“Damn girl you make it sound like we’ll be racing for second place.” Jim grunted.

“No shit. As much as I like your sister. There is no way I’m just going to roll over and let her win without trying to beat her.” Sam told her bluntly.

“Guys trust me on this one. Every year on the anniversary of Lisa’s death Bobbie does something over the top. If she is in a race she’ll either win or wreck. Not even I can keep up with her during those races.” Beth chuckled in a way that was both proud and envious of her sister. “I can’t figure out how she does it, but her skills seem to just ramp up to fucking stupidly high levels. She can just pull more out of her car than normal.”

“Damn that sounds fucking impossible but knowing Bobbie. I would have to say that she just quits holding back.” Sam grunted honestly.

“I would say it’s more than that Sam. We both know how Bobbie goes out of her way to keep her promises. If I had to make a guess. I would say that she is doing that every time she races on Lisa’s anniversary.” Jim told them both as he watched Bobbie turn on to pit road. He jokingly asked of the other two. “Is it my imagination or is the hood of her car smoking?”

“It might as well be. Look at this time she just put up.” Beth said as she held out the stopwatch she had been using to time Bobbie’s practice run.

“Holy shit. Hold on if she put up that kind of time. Then her speed would be two-hundred-and-twenty-five miles per hour. If we were at Pocono she would have crushed Juan Pablo Montoya’s record.” Sam told them both with real surprise in his voice.

“I don’t know about that Sam. Remember this track may seem like Pocono, but there are minor differences. Ones that allow us to run at higher speeds for long times and hold those speeds through the turns.” Beth warned them both. “Of the four of us here there is only one driver that this track’s layout favors.”

“You’re talking about Bobbie. How is this her type of track?” Jim asked her.

“The three long straightaways and only three turns with different degrees of banking in those turns makes this track more like a road course than a normal oval track. Between the three of us. Who is the most likely to win on a road course?” Beth asked Jim and Sam with a sly smile. When both men nodded in understanding Beth chuckled. “Now you know what I’m getting at boys.”

“Damn. She’s bad enough on the Knight. A track like this one must be her wet dream.” Sam grunted as he watched Bobbie climb out of her car.

“Like I said earlier guys. Come tomorrow’s race stay the fuck out of her way.” Beth repeated herself as she watched Bobbie remove her helmet and gloves. The anger in Bobbie’s movements let Beth know just how pissed off Bobbie was with her last run. “Come on guys let’s get over there before Bobbie pounds Chief Hailee or my dad.”

“Beth if Bobbie is looking to beat the shit out of someone. I don’t want to be anywhere near her right now.” Sam told her bluntly. When Beth gave him a questioning look Sam sighed. “I still owe her fifty for Indy.”

“You still haven’t paid her? What are you nuts? You know how Bobbie gets when people don’t pay up on their bets.” Beth demanded. “I know you got the money. So, what’s the fucking deal, Sam?”

“I… well… um… you… see…” Sam’s stammering caught Beth’s full attention.

“Don’t tell me that Lisa has you on an allowance.” Beth laughed out load.

“Ever since she got that ring on her finger. Lisa has been controlling the pursue strings.” Jim chuckled as he elbowed Sam in the ribs. “She has him living on two-fifty a week. I can’t wait till they finally get married.”

“You’re not the only one Jim. Lisa is without a doubt the best thing to ever happen to Sam.” Beth told her friends. All conversation was ended as the sound of another V-8 engine fired over. The three MRI drivers watched as Rosie John from Reynolds Racing pulled onto the track for her practice run. “That girl is going to put her ass into the wall if she’s not careful.”

“I doubt that Beth. Rosie would have had her own ride in the Sprit Cup this year if it hadn’t been for politics. The woman is a natural behind the wheel of a stockcar. I have to say she is one of the best stockcar drivers around.” Jim said with a cockeyed smile. “Right behind us of course.”

“Not to modest is he?” Bobbie asked them as she climbed onto the top of the trailer. When all three of her teammates turned to face her Bobbie smiled. “Nice to know that you three are watching the competition for us.”

“More than just the competition Bobbie. We thought you were going to lose it a few times out there. Just how nasty are the turns?” Sam asked her.

“Depends on the turn Sam. Turn one you got three lines to run. I figure by lap ten tomorrow there’ll be a fourth line further towards the outer wall. By lap twelve I can see us running four-wide through that turn with ease. Turn three will stay the same through the day. The most we’ll get out of that turn will three-wide racing. It’s turn two that we need to worry about. We’ll be lucky to get three-wide through that turn. Remember that bitch is a tunnel turn. I’m sure you all felt that hump in the pavement at the midpoint of the turn. Hit it at the wrong angle and BOOM. Your ass is in the wall. Then there is the exit off turn two. That damned dip in the pavement isn’t that noticeable until you hit it at two hundred plus. It’s enough to throw your handling off. Bad enough to turn you sideways.” As Bobbie gave her three teammates the rundown of the track they could tell there was more.

“What haven’t you told us Bobbie?” Beth demanded.

“The straightaways may look nice and level. They’re not. Those straightaways have a slight two to three degree backing to them. The straightaway between turns one and two has a surface that is also bumpy as all hell. We’re talking red clay country road washboard. The back straightaway is a total contrast. We’re talking a sheet of glass people. The only straightaway that is halfway worth driving on is the front straightaway. Even then it’s only for the five-thousand-feet in front of the grandstands. The twelve-hundred-forty at each end is the little brothers of Oak Castle road back home during the rain.” Bobbie snarked.

“Oh shit. Oak Castle road is bad enough on sunny day. That twenty-four-hundred-eighty feet will tear up more cars than the turns. How many do you figure we’ll lose in those two stretches of track?” Jim snarled.

“To be honest Jim. I have no idea. If I had to make a guess. I would say anywhere between five to ten on the front straightaway, three to six on the short straightaway, and nine on the back straightaway.” Bobbie sighed as she did the calculations in her head. “That’s if we get lucky.”

“What do you mean by that?” Beth asked with real concern.

“If things go tits up at any one of those points. We will be looking at the mother of all ‘Big Ones’. We’re talking about half the field on wreckers with a red flag stop that’ll take two hours to clear.” Bobbie answered her bluntly.

“Damn talk about your doom filled predictions.” Sam chuckled. “Let’s hope you’re wrong Bobbie. Because if you’re right there will be more than a few drivers heading for the nearest hospital tomorrow.”

The sounds of tearing sheet metal and crumpling car parts drew the foursome’s attention to turn 3. There they saw Rosie John sliding around the turn against the outer wall. They could all tell that something had severely gone wrong with her car. They watched in horror as the car began to tumble end over end. They could tell by the way the car tumbled that Rosie was in for one hell of a wild ride. All four sent up silent prayers for the woman’s safety. They could only pray that when the car finally did come to a stop that Rosie dropped her window net.

After 12 flips the car came to a stop resting on its roof. The rescue crews were already rolling by this time. The four drivers waited on pins and needles to see if Rosie dropped her window net. When the net never moved they all knew that Rosie was hurt and in need of help. When the rescue team and ambulance arrived at Rosie’s wrecked car they went straight to work. The first thing they did was to flip her car over onto its tires. Bobbie and the others weren’t the only ones watching the rescue of their fellow driver. The rescue team had the jaws of life and rescue saw out. Within minutes they had the driver’s side cut open and peeled away.

They watched as the Paramedics extracted Rosie from the wreckage. With great care the placed the woman on a stretcher and carried her to the waiting ambulance. By now there wasn’t a driver at the track that hadn’t realize Rosie John was hurt in a major way. Beth turned to see a grim-faced Bobbie.

“Bobbie did you expected this to happen?”

“I did but not from Rosie. One of the other Indy car drivers but not her. She doesn’t try to power her way through the turns. She tries to finesse her way through the turns and straightaways. Whatever happened out there had to be a mechanical failure. There is no other explanation.” Bobbie snarled as she thought about the woman who had earned her respect.

“Are you sure about that Bobbie?” Sam asked her.

“Sam trust me on this. Bobbie is right about what happened out there. It was mechanical failure. We were listening in on their radio chatter.” All four drivers turned to find Bob McGuire standing behind them.

“What happened dad?” Beth asked him before Bobbie did.

“Her brakes failed as she entered the entrance to turn three. From there it was all Rosie could do to keep from slamming headfirst into the wall.” Bob answered her.

“Shit. If Rosie John could lose control of her car that fast in turn three. Then we’ll be doing good to finish the race with at least twenty cars tomorrow.” Jim grumbled as they watched the ambulance race from the track. “Any idea of who they’ll get to replace her in tomorrow’s race Bob?”

“Reynolds Racing will most likely go with either Julia Stencil or Rufus Graham. They both have the experience to handle this type of track and work well in a Stockcar setting. Though I got a feeling that Reynolds will be down one car for their team this race. They’ve been running into finical problems lately. This wreck could spell the beginning of their end as a four-car team. They need a win in a major way. They haven’t been putting up the numbers the way the other teams have been. I think they’ve only had three top five and six top ten finishes all season.” Bob explained for his drivers.

At the grim looks on the faces of the other drivers Bobbie explained further. “I hate to say this guys, but dad is right. Reynolds Racing isn’t the only team that is facing sponsorship problems. Word around the pits is that Justice is also in trouble of losing a few of their sponsors.”

“Bobbie how drivers are facing sponsorship problems?” Beth asked her.

“Depends on who you talk with Beth. If you go off the watercooler gossip. I would say that ten to twelve drivers are looking at losing their individual sponsors. Though Les Ailes de Justice is the only team that is looking at losing their team sponsor.” Bobbie explained for her sister.

“What do you mean Les Ailes de Justice is looking at losing their team sponsor?” Sam asked her quickly.

“During the sponsors’ party last night, I overheard a conversation between Julie and Richard Levett for Peugeot. If Les Ailes de Justice doesn’t starting winning they’re pulling their corporate sponsorship. The asshole made some comment about not supporting a team of losers. That Peugeot had a reputation of only backing winners. That’s the jest of the conversation.” As Bobbie told them about the conversation she overheard the faces of Beth, and the others turn cold.

In their minds it was one thing to drop a driver for breaking the law. It was totally other thing to kick a driver or team because they were having a bad season. The lose of their corporate sponsor was a death knell to any racing team. The one thing that no team could survive. If Peugeot was making that kind of threat then things for the Justice drivers was really hitting a rough patch country back road.

“Damn. I knew they’ve been having problems making the shift over to stockcar racing but I never realized they were this bad. Is it because they’re only team made up of Formula One drivers or is it something else?” Jim asked Bobbie.

“Damned if I know Jim. I do know that they’ve improved little by little with every race. Just like the other Formula One and other drivers that didn’t come over from Stockcar racing. I’m sure that given another season they’ll be on par with the rest of us. I mean that by the way. If they’re still around this time next year. We’ll be facing a leaner, meaner, and deadlier team.” Bobbie told them all.

“So, what do we do Bobbie?” Sam asked her.

“Nothing. As much as I hate to say this guys we do nothing. We got our own problems to deal with first. After that we do what we can for them.” Bobbie sighed. “If they’re still around by that time.”

“Let’s hope you’re right Bobbie. I hate to see a team go down money and sponsorship problems.” Bob told his team honestly. Bob watched as Rosie John’s car was hauled behind the pit road wall and into the garage area. “Think I’ll go down and find out what went wrong with her car.”

“Don’t bother dad. We saw it from the start. Rosie pushed her car too far over the limit going into turn three. It doesn’t matter how good your skills are or your car is. You disrespect that turn. It’ll reach out and snatch your ass sideways. It’s not a matter of if but when with that turn.” Beth told him.

“The same can be said for turns one and two, Beth. It has to be the entry angle of the turns. They don’t appear dangerous, but the truth is they’re deadly as hell. Each turn has a slight dip right at the entrance for some reason.” Jim told them.

“The reason is simple comrade Fields. When the construction company began to build here they made one small mistake.” The heavy Russian accent drew their attention.

“How’s it going Nazarova? Enjoying your time at home?” Sam asked the Russian driver.

“Not bad Samuel I’ve enjoy my time with my family. Maybe I can answer a few questions about the Moscow Triangle.” Nazarova smiled as he answered Sam.

“Maybe you can tell us why there is a dip just before each turn?” Bobbie snarked.

“When the construction company began they made one minor mistake. They miscalculated the needed amount of asphalt. They came up short. Before you ask why they didn’t order more. They couldn’t afford too. You see they were already over their budget by several thousands of Euros. To make up for the tightened budget constraints. The contractor stretched the asphalt as much as possible. The concert underneath was standard six-inch highway pour. Instead of a ten-inch pour needed for a speedway. When they poured the turns they started in the middle of the apex and worked outwards. That is why there is a dip at the entrance and exit to very turn. They practiced this same method with the straightaways. The two outer straightaways received the smallest amount of asphalt. That’s the main reason they are so bumpy.” As Nazarova explained about the pour method of construction for the track all four members of the MRI team sighed. They could all see the situation clearly.

“Shit.” Jim spat out then snarled. “No wonder this track is a roval. It truly is Bobbie’s wet dream for racing.”

“Look’s like we’re all racing for second place. Sorry guys.” Beth chuckled.

“What does that mean comrade Beth?” Nazarova asked with a smirk. “Are you saying that the race is already decided?”

“Nazarova we got a saying back home in Darlington South Carolina. ‘Moonshine flows in the blood of our drivers. If you want to win Stockcar races. Find yourself a bootlegger.’ Of all the drivers at this track there is only one that fits the bill more than the others. My sister, Roberta McGuire.” Beth chuckled. “The real kick in the ass is tomorrow my little sister will have one more advantage.”

“What advantage is that?” Nazarova asked with more than a little curiosity.

“She’ll be racing with an angel on her shoulder.” Beth answered honestly. “And no matter what we try. The only thing that will stop her from winning is her wrecking her car. Even then I wouldn’t place bets on that happening. Because my little sister is becomes a force of nature when she has that angel on her shoulder.”

“Fascinating. A Demoness of Speed who is blessed with her own Angel.” With those words hanging in the air Nazarova turned and walked away. As he did so he waved his hand in the air calling out. “Идите с Божьей Благодатью Робертой Макгуайр.”

“What did he just say?” Sam asked of Bobbie.

“Damned if I know. I just hope that it wasn’t some ancient Russian curse.” Bobbie grunted as she turned to face another new arrival.

“He said Go with God’s Grace Roberta McGuire. Not that you need kiddo.” Jewels answered for her youngest daughter. “I hate to break up this little bullshit party. But I thought you would want an update on Rosie.”

“How’s she doing mom?” Beth asked quickly.

“Good news, bad news, and shitty news. What do you want first?” Jewels told them.

“Dealer’s choice mom.” Bobbie answered quickly.

“Okay will go with the shitty news first. Rosie is out for the rest of the season. She is on her way to the hospital as we speak. The bad news is Reynolds Racing doesn’t have a replacement car her at this time. The good news is she is alive and will be able to watch the race from the grandstands tomorrow. Thou it will have to be from a wheelchair. The infield docs say that her left arm and leg are broken in multiple places.” Jewels as informed them of Rosie John’s injuries all four of the MRI drivers grimaced in sympathy.

“At least she’s alive. The new safety measures are paying off big time this year.” Beth grunted as Bobbie elbowed her in the ribs. “What?”

“She got off lighter than I expected Beth. Even with the new safety features in our cars. That wreck could have killed her. The real kick in the ass for Rosie will be the new physical she’ll have to undergo before she can return. Remember the ISA is cracking down on all drivers who wreck. Those damned concussion tests are a pain in the ass. Don’t forget you have to pass not one but two now.” Bobbie pointed.

“Traumatic brain injury is nothing to fuck around with Roberta.” Jewels snapped.

“Mom Bobbie has nothing to worry about then.” Beth snickered. “Bobbie would need a brain to suffer that kind of injury in the first place.”

Sam and Jim chuckled as Bobbie stuck her tongue out blowing Beth a raspberry in response to her wise crack. Jewels chuckled at her daughters’ antics then sighed dramatically for effect. “Roberta please show some decorum. After all the press and fans can see you dear.”

“Oh, please mom. Don’t try pulling that put upon Catholic mother act on us.” Bobbie snarked in response to Jewels’ look of disapproval. “Besides you know that I’m the prefect lady when I have to be in front of the press and fans.”

“When?” Jim snarked. Which got everyone to chuckle. Even Jewels. The sounds of a V-8 firing over drew their attention to pit road. “Is that Rokossovsky Aleskeevich?”

“It is. She’s the last driver before we start setting up for qualifying runs.” Jewels answered honestly.

“Do you think she’ll have the same problems as the rest of us mom?” Beth asked. “I mean this is her home track.”

“I doubt it Bobbie. She’ll have the track knowledge advantage this time. You’re all some of the best drivers out there kids. But I have to honestly say that Aleskeevich is the threat of threats on this track.” Jewels told them all with a calculating smile. “That woman will push you all tomorrow.”

They turned to watch as Aleskeevich powered through the first turn and onto the shortest straightaway. Bobbie was the first to comment. “She’ll lose it on the back straightaway at that speed.”

“No, she won’t Bobbie. Remember she knows this beast the same way you know the Lady.” Jewels warned her youngest daughter and drivers.

“If that’s the case mom. How do we handle her?” Beth asked.

“We don’t. We race the track and let the track take care of the rest.” Jewels told them all with real honest respect for the woman. She then looked Bobbie dead in the eyes. “Even with your angel Bobbie. Make no mistake. Aleskeevich is your biggest competition. Along with the rest of Red Star.”

“Then we need to make sure that team Red Star remembers that of all the teams that McGuire Racing International is the real deal.” Bobbie snarled.

-----tbc-----

Sorry for the long delay on the chapter. I plan on returning to my normal posting schedule.

up
282 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Postings

Glad to see you back with another kick-a@@ chapter! "Normal" is highly over-rated! Better to be abnormal than nothing at all!

OGE

bad wreck

glad Rosie is not fatally hurt

DogSig.png

Cost of street building

Hmm, a normal meter of street goes for ~€10000 where I live. If we assume for simplicity that the same goes for the Moscow superspeedway that'd be 8000 m (I hope I got the correct mile / meter coversion) * €10000 = €80000000. So ranting about a few thousand euros over the cost limit is considered a joke in this business. So I guess that the overrun was more in the vicinity of a few million euros.

For comparison: the BER airport in Berlin, Germany was projected to cost ~€800 million in 1995. In 2018 it was estimated that the final cost would be ~€7.3 billion. That should at least make it a candidate for the mother of all overruns.

But anyway, thx for another nice chapter^^

the most costly over of all time

wolfjess7's picture

While the BER in Berlin did run into massive delays an construction costs it is not the mother of all overruns. That honer actually goes to Interstate highway I-68 in Maryland, USA. It was originally projected to cost $134 million dollars and only take 10 years to construct the 116-mile-long freeway between I-79 at Morgantown, West Virginia, and I-70 at Hancock, Maryland. In truth it took 28 years to build and $481 Billion the full length of I-68. The 8.7-mile Sliding Hill pass was both the most expensive and dangerous section of construction. According to legend for every mile 10 men lost their lives. This is of course only legend the truth was that only 3 men actually died during the construction of the cut in the hill as it is call in this part of the country.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

According to wikipedia the

According to wikipedia the accumulated costs of the 4 sections end up at $465 MILLION (1.2391 billion in 2019's buying power). So, concering the costs BER still "wins", but it "loses" time wise (by ~14 y).

Road tripe suggestion

wolfjess7's picture

Guest Reader before placing too much faith in wikipedia I would suggest a road trip through Maryland via I-68. As you take that I suggest that you stop at the Sliding Hill rest stop and visit the museum there. The information that I used came directly from their information pamphlet. (btw I only live about about 60 miles from the travel plaza and I make at least 2 stops there every month.)

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I stand corrected.

wolfjess7's picture

I stand corrected. I checked the pamphlet from my visit to the plaza against the two websites. I missed then line converting the cost into 2020 dollars on the last page of the pamphlet. It seems that I got the information wrong.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Bumps not good

Jamie Lee's picture

There always seems to be a learning curve with new tracks. Some pick up the quirks faster than others, though some never learn them and end up with bent and twisted metal.

Rosie was fortunate to survive that wreck with just broken bones, and a possible concussion. Hopefully she's a patient woman, or sitting around while her body heals will be torment.

With the difficulty of that track, and because it's Lisa's day, Bobbie will have her hands full while racing. Hopefully she can keep her mind in the game.

Others have feelings too.