Speedway Demons -chapter 23

Printer-friendly version


Speed Demons


Total number of drivers 40. Number of company teams 10. Number of tracks 20. Number of countries 12. Time frame 6 months. Number of Fallen Angels hooked on speed 2. The McGuire sisters are and they’re out for blood in the newly founded International Stockcar Racing Association. After two years driving the Formula One circuit Professional Drivers Roberta Bobbie McGuire and her sister Elisabeth ‘Beth’ McGuire have made real names for themselves. The two young ladies took the world by storm in their first year by placing 3rd and 4th in the Championship points race. Now their plans and dreams of starting in the International Stockcar Association have come to fruition. The Fury twins plan to prove to the world they belong in Stockcar Racing. And they don’t care who they have to put into the wall to bring home the inaugural championship.


Chapter 23
Moscow Superspeedway: Race day 1030 am
Drivers’ briefing tent.

Bobbie could only look out at the pouring rain with nothing but disgust. She had gone to bed the night before under clear skies. This morning she could barely see the parking lot in front of the hotel. Even now the forecast for the day was overcast clouds with a chance of rain. “I hope like hell this rain lets up soon.”

“Welcome to Russia’s second greatest weapon, comrade.” The voice chuckled with a heavy Slavic accent. “During the Great War the spring and summer rains did more to stop the Nazis’ than our valued troops.”

“Thanks for the history lesson, Koychev. Though what it has to do with today’s race is beyond me.” Bobbie said as she turned to face the Russian driver.

“Have you ever heard of General Winter and Major Mud, Bobbie?” Koychev asked.

“Can’t say that I have. Though I got a feeling the names have something to do with the weather here in Russia.” Bobbie chuckled.

“They do. During the Great Patriotic War, the Nazis made a few great mistakes. The greatest of which was attacking Russia during the latter part of the summer. When traditionally the heaviest rains fall in our country. The fields and dirt roads turned to mud. Bogging down their advance. It removed the Nazis’ two greatest advantages, speed and maneuverability.” Koychev told her with a grin.

“Please tell me that you’re not comparing me to the Nazis?” Bobbie grinned.

“No, but you do remind me of that French Corporal who became Emperor. He to made the same mistake of attacking Russia in the late summer months.” Koychev chuckled as his joke about Bobbie’s height drew a raspberry from the festy American driver. “You know Bobbie. Of all our competition only you have shown me, my team, and my country any type of respect. I must know why?”

“The answer is simple my friend. In the words of your General Alexander Kerenski ‘It is wise to study the ways of your enemy.’ I would be a total dumbass to ignore the history and culture of this land.” Bobbie told him honestly. “The drivers it produces are some of the best.”

“I see. Thank you for your honesty Bobbie.” Koychev told her with a smile as he looked out towards the track. “Allow me to show you the same respect with a small piece of advice. When the rain stops, and the track driers get to work beware of the exits to the turns. They will still be holding a slight sheen of water until the sun beats down on them to dry them out. We learned this fact the hard way during our test runs last year.”

“Thanks, Koychev. With the way our cars are setup something like that could cause us all kinds of problems.” Bobbie grunted as she thought about what would happen if her car hit a sheet of water at over 200mph. With the speeds MRI put up yesterday during qualifying that was a real possibility. Out of all the teams MRI held the top four positions in the field. They had won those spots by postings speeds between 220mph and 221mph. With Bobbie posting the best speed at 221.7mph with a record setting time that had a good chance of standing for several years. The ISA was already talking about using restrictor plates at the Moscow Triangle.

“Attention all drivers! Attention all drivers!” Bobbie and Koychev turned towards the podium at the front of the Drivers’ tent. They knew that something was up by the way the ISA official was standing.

“Bobbie I have a feeling that our good friends in the officials are about to make our day a little more challenging.” Koychev grunted from beside her.

“You know something Koychev. For a Cossack you’re smarter than you appear.” Bobbie snarked as Koychev chuckled at the dig. “Though today I got a feeling that this race will be similar to your people’s great cavalry rides of history.”

“Good one my friend. For some reason I believe that you’re right. With your team being our lead scout element.” Koychev’s comment about MRI being the sacrificial members of a cavalry charge brought a cringe from the young women. Koychev chuckled as he thumped her on the back. “Don’t worry comrade. I doubt that you’ll face the same fates of those old horsemen.”

“I hope you’re right buddy.” Bobbie grunted as a crack of thunder rolled across the racetrack. “Tell me something Koychev. Does this track have a nickname yet?”

“Nothing official yet, sadly. Me and my teammates have tried out a few but none of them seemed right.” Koychev answered honestly.

“I got one for you, Koychev. Cossack Rage.” Bobbie chuckled.

“Quiet down please, drivers. I have an announcement to make. It concerns the start of the race and our track drying efforts.” The man began grabbing Bobbie’s full attention. Even Beth, Sam, and Jim were giving the man their undivided attention. “When the rain stops our tracking drying teams will begin their work with the new Antonov jet dryers. They will make three laps round the track proper. Once they have complete these laps you will be instructed to start your engines and roll out onto the track. The track dryers will then begin their work on pit road while you drive until their work is completed. Once all track drying efforts have been completed one of the paces car will pull away from the rest of the field. This driver will run two full laps at near their top speeds. Only then will it be determined if the race will be run today.”

“Sir, why only the pace car? Why not one of the regular cars? Wouldn’t an actual driver be better at gaging track conditions.” One of the drivers near the front asked. The heavy Tokyo accent gave away the driver’s identity for Bobbie.

“A valid question, Mister Junzo. This is a method that the Americans’ NASCAR league pioneered. It has been found to provide the best and safest results for all involved in the race.” The official answered for Junzo. “Does that help?”

“Thank you sir. It does answer a few questions.” Junzo answered.

“Still can’t believe that most of our races have been relatively rain free so far this season. At least to the point where the track dryers haven’t been needed. That or the ISA has rescheduled for the next day.” Sam chuckled honestly.

“What I want to know is how they expect just three track dryers to clean up the track in three laps. NASCAR uses the Air Titan two-point-oh to dry their tracks. Usually as many twenty per track. I count what five, six trucks total. That’s all three dryers, two vacuum trucks to pick the water up, and one squeegee truck.” Bobbie pointed out to her teammates.

“Ah that is the wonder of Russian redesign. The Antonov jet dryers are three times the size of their American counterparts. Plus, three times as powerful.” Koychev chuckled from beside them all. Their attention was quickly brought back to the official with his next few words.

“Should there be a red flag for rain at any point during the race. The race is called for the day. We will not be restarting for weather delays ladies and gentlemen.” This was not something that Bobbie wanted to hear.

“Excuse me sir! But why not? We obviously have the equipment to handle a sudden down pour.” She demanded not liking the idea of winning by rainout.

“That is true Ms. McGuire. What is also true is what happens to the track’s surface as well. Which is something we do not know.” The man pointed out bluntly. Before going in for the kill. “We have several more races these next few days. We cannot in danger the other drivers from the other sports by damaging the track surface with multiple track drying attempts in one day.”

“So, what you’re trying to say is no one knows how the track surface will react after the first drying attempt.” Bobbie bitched for the rest of the drivers as she snarled. “We’re your damned guineapigs.”

“No Ms. McGuire you are not guineapigs. As with all new racetracks there are certain aspects that remain unknown until the first race.” The ISA official said trying to placate the suddenly enraged American. Once again Bobbie’s infamous temper flared.

“Chill out baby sis.” Beth whispered hoarsely. She knew how her sister got we other than her gambled with her life. “They’re just not taking any chances.”

“Beth’s right Bobbie. This is still an unknown track. It doesn’t matter how many test laps we’ve run here. It doesn’t matter who ran them. This monster is still a rattlesnake waiting to strike. It’s already put one driver in the hospital.” Jim told her bluntly as he waved at the rain-soaked track.

“We already know that this monster’s construction was piss poor to begin with in the first place.” Sam hissed as he recalled the conversation from yesterday. “It was a bitch to drive under ideal conditions. Think about how it’ll be out there today. Wet substandard green asphalt over two thirds of the track with poorly poured concrete under that.” Sam warned her.

“What are they talking about? What substandard asphalt?” One of the drivers from Thunder valley demanded. “We were promised safe racing conditions.”

“The tracks are safe sir. We have taken every precaution there is to insure your safety.” The official calmly told the now angered drivers. Bobbie could tell that her outburst had pissed off the other drivers. Now it was her job to calm them back down enough to listen to reason.

“Everybody just chill out. Shitty tracks are part of racing. We all know that and accept it as part of the risk we take as professionals. The Asphalt Czarina will do what she wants and the rest of us smucks just have to deal.” Bobbie’s wise crack about the Moscow Triangle being Russian Royalty got the Russian drivers laughing. Her unintentional wise ass crack would also have far reaching consequences. A flash of lightning followed by a crack of thunder ended the laughing. Bobbie cleared her throat and continued. “I don’t know about the rest of you monkey nuts but the Asphalt Czarina ain’t got nothing on the Lady in Black. She ain’t driving me off.”

“Only a fool disrespects a Lady, Bobbie. Especially another woman.” Mori Unkei from the Japanese team King Night warned Bobbie with a small bow of her head. “Though in the case of the Lady in Black. She is still the Track Too Tough To Tame.”

“Ladies and gentlemen can I please continue with my announcements?” The official huffed. Only to get a round of ‘whatever’s’ from the drivers. “Thank you. As I was saying should we have to call for a halt in racing due to inclement weather. No matter how far we are into the race that is it. Whoever is in the lead at the time is our winner. As for the race itself. Stay above the lower yellow line unless avoiding an accident. There will be three stages with the first two ending in a competition yellow flag stop. Those two stops will be on laps thirty and sixty. The final stage will consist of forty laps. Should there be a yellow flag with less than four laps. We will make only one attempt at a green/white/checkered overtime. Are there any questions?”

When no one spoke out the official smiled. “Very well then. You can return to your buses until called to your cars. Before you ask we have no idea of when that will be. The current weather pattern has stalled overhead.”

“Just great. First delay of a race with no end in sight. To top it off this is the one race that the ISA officials can’t reschedule. It’s either run the race or cancel.” Sam grumbled as they all raised their umbrellas as they exited the tent.

“Seeing as we got time on our hands. Any one up to a game of Texas Hold ‘em?” Jim asked them with a smile. Then offered. “We can use my bus for a change.”

“I’m in. What about you Bobbie?” Sam agreed knowing that Beth would turn them down.

“Sorry guys, but I got some work I need to go over in my bus.” Bobbie answered then headed for her bus. She really wanted to go over engine design.

“Excuse me but what is this Texas Hold ‘em comrades?” Koychev asked them.

“A style of poker Koychev. It’s not hard to learn but unless you’ve played before. Stay away from these two yahoos.” Bobbie warned him.

“Not a problem Bobbie. Unless they cheat I’ll be fine.” Koychev chuckled. “As for another player. I believe that my teammates will be more than happy to join.”

“Okay don’t say I didn’t warn you. Come on Beth. Let’s get to work on those designs.” With that the two sisters headed for their individual buses. As they walked away Koychev turned to the two other Americans.

“What has your teammates so engrossed that they would give up a chance to play a game for money?” Koychev asked.

“Koychev let me fill you in on a few things about Bobbie and Beth McGuire. First off you’ll be hard press to find two more dedicated drivers anywhere. Secondly they may gamble with their lives on the track but never with their money at the poker table. Don’t ask us why that’s just how they are. Lastly if you should ever find out that the major bookies are taking bets on them during a race. Don’t bet against them. No matter what the odds.” Jim told him honestly.

“It sounds like they earned their reputations on the Formula One circuit.” Koychev grunted as he watched the two woman disappear into the heavy rain. “I can only hope that Major Mud evens the odds today.”

“Don’t bet on that happening, Koychev. Bobbie and Beth visited their Good Luck Charm this morning.” Volet Knight said as she walked up behind them. “Those two speed demons are going to be racing with angels on their shoulders.”

“What does that mean Volet?” Koychev asked her bluntly.

“Ah shit. They visited the nearest Children’s Hospital didn’t they?” Sam asked a smiling Volet. With a sigh he turned to Koychev. “The only thing we’re racing for is third place Koychev. Once that green flag drops. The world and the field will fall away for those two and their only competition will be each other.”

“That and the track itself. Once they get into that mindset nothing gets in their way but the finish line.” Jim grinned.

“Well, they will find that angels in Russia don’t always side with the saints. In Russia they’ve been known to do the Devil’s work.” Koychev grinned only to hear Jim chuckling. “What have I missed comrade?”

“When it comes to angels and demons riding shoulders. Beth and Bobbie McGuire are on a first name basis with the Archangel Michael and the Devil himself Lucifer. Not even the Archangel Azrael, dares to challenge those two on a racetrack.” Jim answered with a nasty grin.

“From the way you talk about the McGuire sisters. I would swear they have supernatural powers behind the wheel of their racecars.” Koychev chuckled.

“Koychev old boy. You won’t be the first or the last driver to make that comment about the McGuire sisters. There’s a reason we call them our Furies of Fire and Ice.” Sam chuckled as he looked towards the two McGuire sisters buses. “Even back home their driving skills were legendary long before they ever set foot on the professional racetracks of the world.”

“I had heard that they used to race on the back roads of the home state. I just never gave much credit to them.” Koychev chuckled as he cracked his knuckles. “Now my comrades tell me about this Texas Hold ‘em.”

Bobbie’s bus.

Bobbie and Beth sat down at the dining table in her tour bus. Spread across the top were blueprints for an experimental engine and transmission. Scattered among the blueprints were sheets and sheets of handwritten calculations plus notes. This was Bobbie’s pet project. She knew that in the past internal combustion engines could be fueled by gain alcohol. She also knew all the problems those old engines suffered from by using gain alcohol as fuel. She knew the main reason biofuels hadn’t taken off in the USA was Big Oil and the major automotive companies. The biggest concern for the automotive companies was the cost of manufacturing biofuel engines. Bobbie knew that if she could design an affordable engine and transmission design half her problems would be solved.

“Bobbie you do know that you’re just rehashing old designs right?” Beth asked as she picked up one of the blueprints.

“Yup. I’ve known that from the start. The biggest problem biofuel engines have always faced is Big Oil and the Big Three’s reluctance to embrace new fuels. The only area the Big Three have shown any inclination in multifuel engines is for the military. For example, the engine that you’re looking at now was the original engine design for the Hummers. That design was sidelined for more the conventional deiseal fueled engines.” Bobbie bitched as Beth just hummed.

“Yeah I can see your reason for wanting to rehash these designs. What does Kelly think about your little project?” Beth asked with a giggle.

“That I’m wasting my time.” Bobbie chuckled. “But she doesn’t bitch too loudly. My little hobby is keeping me out of her hair.”

“I can see her saying that.” Beth laughed only to have her laughter drowned out by a peel of thunder. “Damn that was close. You think they’ll call the race Bobbie?”

“Honestly sis. If they do cancel the race I won’t be surprised. Check out the satellite scans for the area.” Bobbie told her as she opened her laptop. “Here take a look at the weather forecasted for the next three days.”

“Shit. Rain, rain, and more rain. The only break is going this afternoon. Even then that break is only for two hours.” Beth grumbled. “They won’t even have a chance to dry the track properly. The question now is how are they going to score the race for the championship race.”

“If they go off the NASCAR system. The ISA officials will use our qualification results for deciding the points. That would give MRI the top four slots in the drivers’ championship race. It’ll also solidify our position in the Manufacturer’s Race as well.” Bobbie answered honestly.

“What do you think our chances are at being able to race at least one stage?” Beth asked her with real curiosity.

“To be honest Beth. Slime to fucking none. Even with those massive jet engines drying the tracks. It’ll take at least six to seven laps before the track starts to even become drivable. Even then we would need rain tires. Not the slicks we’re running.” Bobbie told her bluntly. “If we were still in Formula One cars it’d be no problem but were running Stockcars now.”

“Damn I hadn’t thought about. Though you’re probably right. Any chance of them pushing the race back to sometime during the week?” Beth wondered.

“None. Our next race is next Saturday in Warszawa, Poland which is a three day drive from here. With the one after that a week later in Toledo, Spain. There won’t be any time for us to run delayed races. Today’s race and the next two are run, no run situations. As it is the ISA is running on a tight enough budget. Any delays in our schedule races will blow that budget straight to hell.” Bobbie bitched.

“What do you know that the rest of us don’t Bobbie?” Beth demanded.

“This stays just between the two us Beth. Do you remember those four suites from the Networks?” Bobbie asked her. Beth just nodded her head yes. “They’re getting pressure from NASCAR and F1A to drop the broadcasts of our races. Especially the ones that happen on the same day of the week.”

“We can’t be taking that large of the market?” Beth asked in surprise.

“Haven’t you been watching the ratings board Beth? The ISA is currently second only to NASCAR back home and second only to the F1A world as far as sporting events go right now. At the rate our popularity is growing. Those standings will change and change soon.” As Bobbie was explaining the situation for Beth she ground her teeth. “If the major TV networks drop us our fledgling sport dies.”

“Damn that just sucks. So, it’s do or die for us. What are our chances?” Beth asked.

“As long as we don’t delay or cancel too many races. We stand a good chance at having more than two or three seasons. What we need to bring in a large enough fan base are more races at the short tracks. Places like Bristol where we can really bump and grind. These superspeedways are great for showcasing our speed, but they lack that trading paint feeling that made NASCAR famous.” Bobbie explained.

“And the ISA officials are ignoring the facts as usual.” Beth sighed. “They still haven’t approached the short track owners have they?”

“Nope. If what Jennifer was telling me the other night is even halfway accurate. Unless the ISA can add in six more short track races next season. We’ll most likely be dropped by the Corporate sponsors.” Bobbie grunted honestly.

“Then let’s hope like hell we get a long enough break to at least run fifty-one laps today.” Beth sighed as she thought about the impact of losing the Corporate sponsors would have on their sport.

“Your mouth to God’s ears, Beth.” Was all Bobbie said as she picked up her notes. “Not that we can’t always fall back on F-one or Indy if we had to.”

“That’s true. I just hope it doesn’t come to that Bobbie. Sam and Jim don’t have their tickets for either.” Beth sighed. “I’d hate to leave them behind.”

“They won’t be Beth. Mom and dad are still owed a few favors among the NASCAR teams. They’ve already sent out feelers in case we get shutdown before the start of next season. Jim and Sam will be welcomed with open arms if the ISA gets shutdown.” Bobbie told her honestly. “We’ll be the ones looking for work.”

“What are you talking about? Mercedes-Benz will still be our sponsor as always.” Beth asked Bobbie not knowing what her sister was talking about.

“Beth those new contracts we signed were for driving in the ISA. They already found replacements for us on the Formula One circuit. We’ll need to find new sponsors if the ISA gets shutdown.” Bobbie pointed out for her sister the ugly truth. “Right now, we’re two of the hottest drivers on any circuit. Most sponsor are going to shy away from us because of perceived costs.”

“What perceived costs? Just what are you talking about Bobbie?” Beth whined.

“Any new sponsor will look at our fame and think bucks over talent behind the wheel. As much as we try to downplay our skills Beth every new sponsor will look at our record of wins in both ISA and F-One. When they do they’ll see nothing but dollar signs. When it comes to sponsor one of our cars for just one race we’re talking five-hundred-thousand pre-race. Then there is our pay. Last time I checked we’re both pulling down one-point-two-five-million a season. That doesn’t count those endorsement contract payments. You’re getting what nine-fifty from Nike, and eight-hundred from Prada. Thanks to Issy we’re two of the highest paid fashion models that never walked a fashion show runway.” Bobbie bitched while Beth chuckled.

“That’s true. I still can’t believe Issy got Kelly to pose for that maternity line from Levi Strauss.” Beth chuckled at the face Bobbie gave her. “Don’t bitch little sister. She got paid nine-hundred-grand for those pictures.”

“Tell me something I don’t know Beth. If mom and dad hadn’t stepped in when they did Issy would have had our kids posing for fashion pics.” Bobbie grumbled.

“Issy does have a way of pushing things too far.” Beth chuckled. “Though even I have to admit that would have been going way pass the line.”

The knock on the bus door ended their privet talk. Bobbie sighed and yelled out. “Come on in. The door is unlocked.”

“You might as well get comfortable girls. The ISA just got an updated weather report.” Jewels told them as she stepped into the bus.

“How bad mom?” Beth asked her.

“It’s bad enough that if the rain doesn’t let up in the next half hour. They’re talking about canceling our race.” Jewels told them both.

“Shit. Have the ISA officials decided on how they’ll score our standings for Chase?” Bobbie asked her as she moved over to the kitchen area of her bus.

“They’re still working on the actual points, but it will be based on your starting line up positions. As the pole sitter Bobbie, you’ll be awarded the most points. After that who knows. They’ll be holding another drivers’ meeting if it comes to that. Though if I were to guess the officials will award fifty points to the top position and go down from there. Each position being worth five points down to tenth place in the field.” Jewels told her daughters with a chuckle. “Though with the way you two have climbed back into the race for the championship. It won’t make much of a difference in the long run.”

“What does that mean mom?” Bobbie asked her bluntly.

“Roberta Lee McGuire when are you going to start paying attention to your position in the point standings?” Jewels sighed as she gave her youngest daughter a dirty look. “A win here today would put you firmly back in first place Bobbie. With Beth, Sam, and Jim in a three way tie for second.”

“I know that the points chase was tight mom, but not that tight. What the hell happened to change things up so fast?” Bobbie asked in surprise.

“With Rosie John, Nathan Watson, and Seth Fisher out for the rest of the season the race for the championship shifted. All four of you jumped solidly into the top five positions. Now the question is who gets to fill out the rest of the top ten.” Jewels said giving her daughters a hard look.

“Okay mom what are we missing?” Beth asked.

“It all depends on if the ISA officials go with the standards set by NASCAR. If they do then it’ll come down to individual driver standings. If they decide to use F-one-A standards they go by driver standings among the teams. The threat of cancelation due to weather has everything up in the air.” Jewels answered honestly. “The only thing that isn’t up for debate are the top four positions in the race.”

“Attention all drivers! Attention all drivers! Please report to the drivers’ tent. Attention all drivers! Please report to the Drivers’ tent!” The announcement drew a sigh from all three McGuire women.

“Grab your umbrella Beth. I got a feeling that the race just got canceled.” Bobbie said as she headed to the door to her bus. As the two sisters walked down the line of buses they were joined by other drivers. Not just Sam and Jim but other drivers from the other teams. The cracks of thunder and flashes of lightning only served to darken the moods of the drivers. It was almost as if the dark low hanging clouds were pressing down on their very souls.

“I hate to say this Bobbie, but that feeling you had about the race being canceled. Just became a hard fact of life. This rain isn’t going to break anytime soon.” Beth whispered as they crossed the rained soaked garage area.

“I wish that I was wrong, sis. I hate winning like this.” Bobbie bitched.

“We all do Bobbie, but remember what dad always says. A win is a win don’t bitch.” Beth snarked as Bobbie glowered at her.

“Yah, yah, I hear you Beth. I just wish we could have a chance at running at least one stage.” The crack of thunder caused both young women to flinch. “Though with the way the rain is coming down now. I highly doubt that will happen.”

Bobbie’s word could not have been more prophetic if she tried. As soon as she and the other drivers had gather under the drivers’ tent than the Chairwoman for the ISA Irina Stumpfegger stepped up to the podium. “Ladies and gentlemen may I have your attention please. I’ll try not to keep you long.”

“Madam Chairwoman, just tell us if we’re going to race or not.” One of the other drivers shouted out at her.

“Very well I’ll get straight to the point. According to the latest weather forecast it is felt that we cannot ask you to risk your lives on unpredictable race conditions. With rain forecasted for the next three days all races have been canceled. With the tight time frame of the individual divisions’ schedules only the Indy car division can realistically reschedule their race for later in the week. Because of this today’s race is canceled. All teams will head for the next race in Warszawa. Points for the canceled race will be awarded down to twentieth qualifying position in the field. The pole position will receive fifty points. Each position below that will receive two less points down to tenth. From eleventh place down to twentieth each position will receive one less point for qualifying.” Stumpfegger explained for the gathered drivers. “As we will not be running a race today no trophy will be awarded ladies and gentlemen. The Board feels that it would be unfair to award the trophy for an inaugural race that wasn’t run. Are there any objections?”

“I got an objection. If you’re not going to present the trophy. Why are you giving out points for qualifying?” Jules Grinda from the French team Les Ailes de Justice.

“The commission felt that it was only fair. Each driver here put their best effort towards placing as high as they could in the starting lineup. It was felt that those efforts should be rewarded. The trophy though is rewarded for the actual race itself. Not for qualifying.” Stumpfegger answered honestly. “Any more questions?”

“Just one Madam Chairman. Is there any chance of rescheduling our race for later in the year? Like after Darlington?” Bobbie asked her.

“I’m afraid not Ms. McGuire. The fall weather conditions for this part of Russia are not conducive for racing. Much like they are in the USA.” Stumpfegger explained.

“Thank you Ma’am for explaining ma’am. Come on guys. Let’s break the news to the rest of the team.” With that Bobbie turned and headed for the exit. Sam, Jim, and Beth were right behind her.

“You’re not going to wait around for the awarding of points?” One of the other drivers asked them as they left.

“I got what I needed. The sooner we get our transports moving. The sooner we can get some practice runs in at Warszawa. The last I heard. With the exception of the length that track is an exact two-point-five-mile copy of Darlington.” Bobbie told the man bluntly. “The last time I checked there are only four drivers here that have the homefield advantage at Darlington. That is us, and we never turn our backs on the Lady in Black. EVER!”

“What does that have to do with the track in Warszawa?” The driver asked.

“Think about numb nuts. If we show an uncommon amount of respect for our home track. Why would we show any less respect for its little sister?” Beth snarked.

“Listen up people.” Jim called out for the other drivers to hear. “The Asphalt Czarina is a monster track just like Pocono. But just like Pocono she has nothing on Darlington Speedway. For those of you who don’t know Darlington is one of the top ten most lethal tracks in America with seven fatalities.”

“There is a reason we call Darlington the Track Too Tough To Tame. If Warszawa is an exact copy but only bigger. Then you’ll get a taste for what is to come at Darlington.” Sam warned them all. “I don’t know about you, but if have to the chance at getting more than one practice run at a track like that. I’ll take it.”

“Are you really afraid of the Warszawa track?” Koychev asked Sam bluntly.

“If you’re not afraid Koychev. Then you’re a damned fool.” Beth snapped. “We’ve all been given the specs for the Warszawa track. Like Bobbie already said. She’s an exact copy of the Lady in Black just longer. That makes her both meaner and deadlier. A combination that only a fool doesn’t respect or fear. Both Sam and Jim have earned their Darlington Stripes. I got a feeling that everyone of us here will be earning a Warszawa stripe before the race is over.”

“What’s a Darlington Stripe?” One of the former Formula One drivers asked.

“It’s paint lost to the walls of Darlington’s turns. For NASCAR drivers it’s a right of passage.” Bobby Parker from Reynold’s Racing chuckled. “The drivers of MRI are right about treating any track even remotely similar to the Lady with respect. You don’t and you’re as good as dead. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I for one am going to follow their example. Besides there nothing more for us here. Mother Nature has won the day and owns this track for now.”

Following Parker’s words, the gathering broke up as drivers headed back to their teams. As Beth, Bobbie, Sam, and Jim walked towards the pit area they could see their cars being moved behind wall. Bobbie just chuckled at the sight. “Looks like dad has already figured out they called the race.”

“Pretty much. You going to ride with your bus or catch a short haul flight?” Beth asked Bobbie as they walked.

“I think I’ll ride with my bus. It’ll give me a chance to see some of the countryside for once.” Bobbie grinned then wiggled her eyebrows. “It’ll also give me some alone time with Kelly and the kids.”

“You know something little sister. That’s a damned good idea.” Beth chuckled as she thought about spending a little alone time with Tony.

“Tell me something Beth. When are you and Tony going to give me a niece or nephew?” Bobbie asked her bluntly.

“We’ve talked about it Bobbie. A lot really.” Beth told her honestly then sighed. “We’ve decided to adopt.”

“Okay Beth what haven’t you told mom and dad?” Bobbie asked bluntly.

“I can’t have children Bobbie.” Beth answered with more than a little pain in her voice. “I found out during my physical at the start of the season.”

“Damn it. When will this family catch a fucking break. First my cancer and now this.” Bobbie said as she grabbed her sister in a tight hug. “I’m sorry Beth.”

“Not your fault Bobbie. Just the luck of the draw. I suspected that something was wrong back when I was dating Tommy.” Beth told her quietly. “Tony and I have talked about fertility treatments, but I would have to take a year off from racing. As much as I would love to do that I still got that contract hanging over my head.”

“Say no more sis. Until our contracts are up. You having your own baby is not in the cards. Then there is the fact that high speeds, massive g-forces, hours of holding it in, are not conducive to becoming pregnant.” Bobbie pointed out with more than a little regret for her sister. “If you want I can buy out your contract. That way you and Tony can start your family now.”

“I could do that myself Bobbie. This is our problem. Mine and Tony’s. We’re happy waiting for now. Besides, there are hundreds of deserving children out there that could use a loving home. Why not ours?” Beth asked with a hopeful smile.

“I can’t think of two better people deserving of a family.” Bobbie told her sister just before hugging her one more time. “When it comes time for the adoption hearing let me know. Kelly and I will stand beside. I’m sure mom and dad will be there as well. Not to mention the rest of MRI and just about every car club member in Darlington county. Plus a few other counties.”

“I don’t know if having a bunch of rowdy street racers as character witnesses about be a good thing.” Beth chuckled. “Then again we’re talking about Darlington County South Carolina. Who knows. Depending on the judge they might be some of the best character witnesses we can find.”

“Hey, some of those same people were guests at my wedding.” Bobbie bitched.

“And your point is?” Beth giggled as Bobbie snorted. “Come on lets get out of the rain. I don’t know about you but after that last meeting. I could use a hot shower, warm meal, and about eight hours of sleep.”

“I know what you mean. I got a feeling that it’s going to take the crews about two to three hours to pack everything up in this rain. Then about two to three hours to clear out the paddock area. I figure the ISA Officials will make the announcement any minute now.” Bobbie sighed then pointed towards the nearest loudspeakers as they crackled. “Here it comes.”

“Attention ladies and gentlemen. Due to the inclement weather today’s inaugural running of the Antimav five-hundred has been canceled. Please exit the stands in an orderly manner. A partial refund will be issued for all ticket holders.” The announcer informed the crowd First in Russian then in English. The announcement was repeated three more times in French, German, and finally Italian.

“Damn the roadways are going to be bumper to bumper in this weather now.” Beth bitched as she looked towards the empty stands. “How many fans do you think are hiding under the grandstands Bobbie?”

“I would say that more than seventy-percent of the fans were still waiting around for a break in the rain. Out of the one-hundred-and-fifty-four-thousand I would say there was close to one-thirty-five to one-forty thousand fans still waiting. Of those I would say that eighty to ninety thousand came here by public transit. The rest drove themselves. Figure twenty-thousand cars.” As Bobbie was running the numbers off Beth was doing the math in her head.

“Figure four to five hours to clear out the parking lot. At least another three hours before traffic smooths out.” Beth sighed. “We’ll be lucky to get out of here before six this evening. Might as well let dad and the crews know.”

“You gals thinking about riding with your buses to Warszawa?” Jim asked he and Sam walked up. “If you are what to convoy our buses? You know make it a vacation trip out of our unplanned cross country trip.”

“Sounds good we could actually make a few stops along the way to sightsee.” Sam suggested with a friendly smile.

“Not a bad idea. How about it Bobbie? You game?” Beth asked.
“I don’t see why not. It’ll give Sue something to write about in that fan blog of hers. I swear that girl has become an uberfan for Stockcar racing.” Bobbie chuckled as she thought about her children’s nanny.

“You can say that again. When she isn’t watching your kids Sue is in the pits learning everything she can about the cars.” Sam chuckled.

“Shit I think she knows more the tracks we’re going to racing at than we do. Ever since we raced at Texas she has been obsessed with the individual tracks.” Jim snarked as he talked about the nanny.

“Guys I hate to say this, but it’s my fault that she’s become an uberfan.” Bobbie sighed then chuckled at her nanny’s obsession with stockcar racing. “I kind of lite the fire for her.”

“Thanks a lot Bobbie. The girl wants to know everything about how we handle each track. She’s worse than my baby sister.” Sam grumbled.

“Speaking of Mary. How’s she doing?” Beth asked him.

“Mary is doing better. She’s finally accepted the fact that she’ll never be the next Misty Copeland or Anna Pavlova. She did get accepted into Julliard on a partial scholarship. I’ll be picking up the rest of the tab.” Sam told them with a smile of pride for his baby sister. “It’s the least I can do for my parents. Especially after all the shit I put them through in high school.”

“Don’t feel like the lone stranger there partner. I’ve already setup college funds for my kid brother and sister. I know I blew my chances at college, but I can make sure Mike and Terra get their shot at college educations.” Jim told them with a grin. “It’s not like I can’t afford it. In the last three years I’ve earned more money than I’ll ever spend in my lifetime.”

“They’re not the only ones Bobbie. Every member of the MRI racing teams is set for life.” Beth told her with a smile. “It’s all thanks you.”

“How do you figure that?” Bobbie asked in confusion.

“You were the one who started it all. MRI won’t be the organization it is today if it hadn’t been for those contracts you and Beth won three years ago.” Jim told her honestly. “And it’s not just MRI Bobbie. Think about all the lives that you and this team have touched in the last three. The Darlington Knights all turned our shit around. The Blue Devils are some of the most respected students in their schools. Those are just two of the car clubs that your influence has bettered.”

“Then there’s all the other kids from our old high school you’ve influenced. Did you know that auto shop enrollment is up by three-hundred percent. There’s a class very period now. The school actually had to hire a second auto shop teacher to give Mr. Yates a break because he was overworked. It’s not just the guys like me and Jim taking the class anymore. They’re got jocks, cheerleaders, nerds, you name it taking auto shop anymore.” Sam chuckled. “All thanks to what you did for the Knights, Devils, and other car clubs.”

“Okay guys I get the point.” Bobbie chuckled then flinched as a crack of thunder rolled across the paddock. Bobbie looked up at the heavy storm clouds with a smirk. “On that note people. It’s time to end this discussion and get out of the rain. Besides Kelly, Sue, and the kids should be back at the bus by now.”

“See you at the first rest stop, Bobbie.” Beth called out as she ran towards her own bus. Sam and Jim were right behind her.

“Welp, Koychev looks like Major Mud won this round.” Bobbie said to no one as she walked towards her bus. Just before she reach for the door Bobbie gave the massive triangle track one last look. “We’ll see you next year Czarina. You better ready bitch. Because one of us will conquer your ugly nasty ass.”

-----tbc-----

up
257 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sometimes, like Shakespeare so eloquently stated……

D. Eden's picture

“The better part of valor is discretion, in the which better part I have saved my life.”

So our heroes move on to fight another day.

As always, I enjoyed reading more of your work.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I always look forward to the

I always look forward to the next installment of Speedway Demons :)
Thanks again Wolfjess

Sometimes waiting is better

Jamie Lee's picture

Czarina is a new track, a track rushed to completion, rush to completion on a shoestring budget, thereby giving that track unnecessary hazards. While the drivers didn't like the race being canceled, after the crash Rosie suffered, maybe someone was telling those drivers it was best not to race and give the track owners a chance to fix the built in hazards.

Others have feelings too.