Mum's Encouragement Chapter 33

Printer-friendly version

Mothers Encouragement Chapter 33

As I came around, I could hear mum speaking. I couldn’t figure out who she was speaking to however quickly made out that it was Auntie Heather and another lady.

I felt very clammy and as I refocused, I could make out mum’s face looking down at me with concern. “Are you alright love” she asked as her hand rested on my nyloned knee.

“Err I think so mum. Where am I?” I asked confused

“You are in the back of Helen's car. She has been looking after you love after we got split up. Are you going to be ok baby. I'm worried about you” Mum asked as she moved her hand from my knee and gently stroked my fringe.

Feeling embarrassed by all of the attention I was getting and the worried faces hovering around me I tried to brush off the concern “Yes, I am fine mum. I just came over hot and woozy. Not sure what happened but I am ok now”

A voice I didn’t recognised chipped in “Just before she passed out, I was just saying to your Joanne that it was probably her hormones playing with her emotions. My girls were just the same when they were teenagers”

“Err I am ok thanks Helen” I remembered the kindly voices name “I probably came over woozy because I haven’t eaten much this morning” I tried to reassure everyone

Helen persisted “you need to be eating love. You have a lovely figure, and you don’t need to be dieting”

“She never listens to me” Mum told Helen “She eats like a hamster despite me trying to fatten her up”

Mum and Helen continued to discuss what could have caused me to faint and as I continued to come around Helen whispered to Mum that “she would suggest getting me booked in to see the Doctor for a check-up as Joanne not having a period for six weeks could be something to be concerned about, unless she isn’t telling you something”

Mum and Aunt Heather nearly choked on hearing Helen’s insinuation

Mum recovered herself enough to respond “No Jo is a good girl. She hasn’t got much further than kissing and cuddling the boys” mum protested on my behalf somewhat bothered by Helen’s suggestion that I could be pregnant.

I thought to myself that this was getting more surreal by the minute, as again Helen thought that by whispering in mum’s ear that I couldn’t hear what was being said

“Just saying that young girls aren’t always 100% honest with their mothers my dear. My girls were just the same telling me that they were still virgins when they were far from being so”

I wanted the ground to swallow me up as the conversation continued around me as Aunt Heather spoke “No I can vouch for my niece that she is still a virgin. She wouldn’t let her boyfriend go too far. Would you babe?”

“No certainly not Auntie Heather” I protested “You don’t have to worry about me and boys. I just came over a little sick.

I turned to Helen “I told you Helen, I am not pregnant. I can’t be” I insisted as Helen looked at the love bite on my neck which I had exposed when tugging at the collar of my blouse as I felt hot and clammy. I again came over embarrassed when I realised, I had exposed the bite that Martin had inflicted on me. On noticing Helen’s frown, I pulled the collar up again to try and cover the mark

Helen smiled and gesturing to my neck stated “you might want to think about applying some foundation to cover that up youngster”
I know I must have been blushing as Mum, Helen and Heather smiled at each other

“Looks like you have some colour back in your cheek’s missy. Come on my girl let’s get you home” mum joked as she started to help me out of the back of Helen and Colin’s car

“Let me help you up love” Colin spoke as he stepped into help Mum. I could feel his large hands under my armpits as he helped me to my feet. In doing so, his assistance resulted in my blouse being pulled out of the waistband of my skirt giving Colin a tantalising peak of my silky chemise. I pulled my skirt down and quickly tucked my blouse back into the waistband of the tight skirt as Colin turned away uncomfortably.

“Err thank you Colin and Helen” I bashfully spoke feeling absolutely mortified for Colin and myself “you have been really kind and helpful”

“Oh, not a problem at all love. We couldn’t leave a young damsel in distress” Colin kidded whilst still looking away into the distance “We men have our uses at times. Don’t we my dear?” he quipped looking to his wife

“Yes Colin, every now and then you come in useful” Helen joked back “Are you OK now Joanne. We will leave you with your mum and Aunt if that’s ok?”

Mum responded for me “She will be ok thankyou Helen. She will do anything to be the centre of attention” she joked as she looked at me lovingly “ever the princess eh JoJo?”

“Yes mother” I indignantly responded “I must take after you”

Aunt Heather found my response highly hilarious as she laughed out loud “You’re not wrong there Joanne”

As I pulled my coat on and hung my handbag over my shoulder, Mum and Heather thanked Helen and Colin for looking after me. They exchanged telephone numbers as Helen told Mum that she would be grateful to find out how I had got on at the Doctors. I am sure she just wanted to have it confirmed to her that I was indeed pregnant with Martin’s baby.

Helen was starting to annoy me as she soon went from my saviour to what I believed to be an interfering busybody.

Mum and Heather kept fussing over me as we left Helen and Colin. As we walked away Helen waved and shouted out” look after yourself young lady. Remember what I said, don’t go growing up to quickly”

Mum had wrapped her arm around me as we walked to what I believed to be our car; however, it was soon apparent that we were walking towards the entrance to the shopping centre.

“Where are we going mum?” I asked

“I thought we would collect your photos Joanne whilst we are here. I'd like to see how they turned out. I know your Aunt Heather is keen to see how you look in your work uniform. You look so precious darling. Humour your old Mum. I want to remember my little girl in years to come.

I still felt quite queasy however to keep the peace and not create another scene I went along with Mum’s suggestion to collect the photographs. I thought to myself it won't take long and then hopefully we could be on our way home.

As we entered the mall, I again felt very conscious of what I was wearing. It was not easy to forget that I was wearing girl’s clothes, as my tight skirt continued to restrict my steps and the click clack of my ankle boots seemed to reverberate around the mall as I tried to keep up with Mum and Aunt Heather. They both were wearing flat shoes and trousers, compared to my restricted tight skirt and the perilous three-inch heels I wore and so they were moving a lot more freely than me.

As we walked through the mall Mum and Heather kept stopping to look at the window displays. The shops were predominantly clothes shops, women's clothes shops. Mum and Heather both got excited by the displays and considered weather the clothes on show would suit either of them and to my embarrassment considered what would look good on me

Whilst looking in the window of Etam (a lady’s shop in the UK who sadly are no longer trading) Mum pointed to a dress and enthusiastically said

“That dress would look lovely on you Joanne. It would be perfect for the wedding that you and Martin are attending. Shall we go in and have a look?”

Before I could respond we were entering the shop and Mum and Heather were looking through the racks for the dress that was on display in the window. Aunt Heather was the first to find it and picked a dress off the rack and asked, “what size are you Jo?”

Confused by the sudden turn of events considering that I thought we were only going to collect the photographs, I whispered back so no one could hear “I'm not sure auntie”

Mum chipped in” I believe she will be a size 10 with this cut of dress Hettie” as she took the dress from Heather and held it up against my body

The dress was a bright fuchsia pink in what I now know to be a peplum style. It had a fitted pleated skirt and see-through billowy sleeves. I thought it was probably made from silk or something similar. It flowed against me as Mum held it up against me inspecting it.

Mum gushed “It’s beautiful isn’t it. Come on Jo let's have you try it on. There's a changing room over there” she said pointing to the far corner of the store

As Heather and I followed Mum to the changing the room a female assistant dressed in the black skirt and white blouse uniform of the store asked “Do you need any help ladies?

Mum responded for us “No thank you dear, however, is it possible that we could have my daughter try on this dress” Mum asked showing the dress to the girl, who I estimated wasn’t that much older than me.

“Yes of course Madam. Is it just the one item your daughter wants to try?” she asked whilst looking me up and down

“Yes, please Bridget” Mum took great pleasure in addressing the girl after seeing her name badge “Let’s see how this one fits” Mum smiled warmly at the shopgirl as I looked on embarrassed

“Ok that's fine. Please take this tag in with you Miss. We then know you have only taken the one item into the changing room” Bridget told me as she handed me a white tag with a number on, as Mum guided me into the confines of the women's changing room. Mum pulled back the curtain and gave me the dress.

“Go in there and slip your skirt and blouse off darling. Let's see how it looks on you. Give me a shout when you have it on as I will need to help you with the buttons up the back” Mum instructed.

In a daze I entered the changing room booth and pulled the curtain across so no one could see me undress. I was unsure what to do however knew that mom would not let me go anywhere without trying the pretty dress on

I undid my scarf and took off my coat. I then unbuttoned my skirt and pulled down the rear zip letting the skirt fall to the ground before hanging it on a wooden peg. I then unbuttoned my cardigan and blouse and also hung them on pegs. Wondering whether I should take off the chemise slip that I wore, I decided to leave it on as I pulled the dress up over my legs and waist and slipped my arms through the long transparent sleeves.

As Mum had suggested, despite trying I wasn't able to do up the rear buttons of the Flouncy dress, however managed to do up the four small buttons on each of the sleeves.

I could hear mum and Heather in conversation with the shop girl as I deliberated on what to do next

“It's a beautiful dress isn't it Madam” Bridget proclaimed

“Yes, it is Bridget. I'm sure it will look lovely on Joanne. She needs a pretty dress for a big wedding she and her boyfriend Martin are attending next weekend. Martin is the best man and Jo therefore needs to look her best without outshining the bride” Mum playfully said

“If Jo likes the dress, I am sure that we have a clutch bag to match the pink of the dress. Should I go and get it for you, so you can see for yourself” Bridget asked

“That would be lovely my dear. Would you happen to have shoes that would also match?” Mother asked

“I'm not sure about that Madam. I don't think we do. You could always try Dolcis (a UK high street retailer who sadly are no longer trading) next door. I'm sure they will have something close to the colour of the dress depending on what style of shoe your daughter wants.

“Thank you” Mum replied “you are very helpful my dear. How long have you been working here?”

“Only six months”

“You are very good at your job Bridget. You obviously know what you're doing. Do you enjoy the job?” Heather asked

“Yes, I love it. What teenage girl doesn't like working in fashion. We get a discount 25% of all of the clothes so I tend to spend all of my wages in the shop. My Mum keeps telling me that I need to start saving for a rainy day” Bridget chuckled.

“Listen to your Mum Bridget. She is speaking sense. Joanne works in a hotel however I know she would love working in here. There are some lovely clothes. I know she would be the same as you giving back all of her wages each week” mom reflected

“I will just go and get the bag now and will be back shortly” Bridget responded as I heard her walking off as her court shoes made a noise across the tiled floor

I heard Aunt Heather say to mum “she is such a sweetie isn't she Claire. She will break a few boys’ hearts”

“Yes, Joanne could learn a lot from her. I didn't see a love bite on Bridget’s neck” mum sniped

“Jo could do with making friends her own age who would be a good influence on her”

“Mother” I complained as I pulled the curtain back crossly staring at her. “I am here you know; I don't need to make friends with teenage girls. I should be dating them, not sharing fashion tips with them”

“Oh, hush yourself” mother retorted and on seeing the dress on me then gushed “it looks beautiful on you darling. You will outshine the bride. Turn around so I can do the buttons up”

As instructed, I turned around as Mum did up the 15 or so small cloth-coloured buttons to the nape of my neck, which resulted in the dress contouring itself around my upper body and accentuating my pert man-made breasts.

“MAN MADE BREASTS” I thought to myself. How true is that I pondered

Mom fussed with the dress pulling it here and there and continued gushing over me

“Look at the lovely knife pleats in the skirt Hettie. “Aren’t they sweet. It's like the dresses that Mum used to buy us when we were young girls. I think these dresses are back in fashion. They are much better than the grungy look most of the girls are wearing these days”

“Yes, I know what you mean Claire. I was watching Top of the Pops the other night and those pretty girls in Bananarama were wearing horrible overalls like mechanics” Heather answered

As I stood there totally humiliated Mum tied the small silky ribbon belt around my waist which ended in a large limp bow that rested just above my bum.

I nervously fidgeted with the bangles on my wrist as Mum and Heather continued fussing and pulling at the dress. They played with the small Peter Pan collar and adjusted the shoulder pads within the dress, so it properly fitted my small frame

“Jo, slip off your boots love” Heather asked “they don't go with the dress, and I can’t get the full effect”

In a bemused state I unzipped my boots and pulled them off and in doing so could feel the cold tiled shop floor through the soles of my thin tights

“Stand up on your tiptoes Joanne so I can see the full effect of where the hem will fall” Heather asked

I did as I was told and in doing so found that the hem of the dress sat just about my knees

Mum cooed “I think it's perfect love. Martin will love it. He will be with the belle of the ball. He will be so proud to have you next to him” Mum enthused “We do need to get you some shoes though to go with your dress and maybe some pretty jewellery. We also need to find you some sheer tights, maybe with a slight pink sheen to them. You will look adorable darling when we have completed your look”

At that point Bridget returned with a bag and smiling she handed it to me “You look lovely Joanne. The dress really suits your figure. It’s perfect for a wedding. I think the clutch bag goes well with it don't you?” She asked

I blushed and before I could reply Mum answered for me “It's perfect Bridget. What's a clever girl you are” Mum turned to me “The clutch is only small Jo, so you won't be able to carry too much in the bag on the day, just the essentials love. You could always leave a bigger bag in Martin’s car if you need your full makeup bag and other things love”

I grimaced at Mum’s comments thinking I'm not even going to this wedding, so why are you even considering buying me this expensive dress and the accessories to go with it. I knew my objection to going to the wedding with Martin would end in a big row between Mum and me, however I knew I had to make a stance as I didn't want Mum controlling my life.

“I am not going to the bloody wedding Mother” I screamed which resulted in shoppers looking in our direction “I told you; Martin and I are not an item. He is a pig”

I turned and rushed back to the dressing room as tears started to flow down my face. As I pulled the curtain across and threw myself on the little bench seat, I thought to myself “Do I really mean that? Martin wasn’t a pig. I felt something for him although I didn’t know what those feelings were. I did want to go to the wedding and wear this pretty dress I thought, as I played with the delicate hem of the dress as tears continued to fall.

I was so confused. I didn’t know what I wanted or indeed didn’t know who I was anymore, however I knew I would be going to the wedding and that I would need to find some pretty shoes to match my lovely dress and considered whether I should wear my hair up or down.

End of chapter 33

More chapters to follow soon. Sorry for the ridiculous wait for new chapters. My life has been hectic. Since last posting I have divorced (Who?) and remarried and in doing so I have become a step mum to 2 wonderful young men and a lovely girl, who all have children of their own. In time I will get to the present time and let you know of the events that led to who I am today
I hope you enjoy the new chapter

Love Lucy

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

New Chapter

Omg I am actually so excited you have started writing again your story was one of the originals that got me into TG stories!! Hope you doing amazing!!

Quite the story

Julia Miller's picture

I went back and read the story so far. And now you are suggesting that it's autobiographical. I love the story.

Waiting A Long Time

joannebarbarella's picture

Very happy to see a new episode of this gentle transition story.

Thank you and so sorry this is late

Lucy,

Just now saw that you continued story in November. I do not visit this site that regularly and really only come for you. Really!! Thank you so much for continuing your very personal and well-written story. And I'm glad your present personal life has taken a turn for the better. Will be looking more frequently if the prospect for further updates on your progress from 17 year old to woman of a certain age are possible. If you wrote a daily diary of your everyday autobiography, I would be all in. Probably too much but I'm sure these early days left the most impact as you remember so clearly even with the passage of time. I know there was a time when you considered stopping and I'm glad you did not.

Thanks so much for continuing and be well.

Love Jenny K.