Mum's Encouragement Chapter 35

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 35

Despite my misgivings, my time spent at the photography studio that afternoon was enjoyable. In the two hours or so that I spent there before Mum and Aunt Heather returned, I got a really good insight into what goes into creating good photographs.

Diane asked that I assist her in the staging of the photos, especially when she was busy taking shots of Barney. I was nominated to distract him, so he looked in the direction of the lens, which was achieved by me holding up and squeaking a dog toy behind Diane’s shoulder.

I seemed to have a good connection with Diane and Louise. Adam seemed to hit it off with Mark. The guys chatted about football, rugby and most things sport related, whilst I and the two women chatted about hair, makeup and Louise’s wedding plans. I got on well with Louise who had an easy manner about her, and we got to know each other as Diane was setting up her camera between shots.

Louise told me about her job at Harrod’s and I told her about my job at the hotel. She asked a lot of questions about the hotel as she and Mark had not yet decided where their wedding reception was to be held. I told her it was a lovely hotel and maybe one they could consider.

During a quick coffee break I listened in as Diane asked Louise whether she had chosen her wedding dress.

“No not yet. We only announced our engagement to our parents a few days ago. We haven’t really thought about what we want just yet”.

“Have you got anything in mind Louise. What styles of wedding dresses do you like?” Diane enquired.

“Probably like Jo and most other girls I have always dreamed that I will look like a princess on my wedding day. I want a traditional white gown with a longish train and lace veil”.

Diane pointed to some wedding magazines on a coffee table and for the next five minutes the two women gushed over the wedding dresses within.

I watched on over the women’s shoulders without commenting as they considered what dresses would look good on Louise. Diane noticing that I wasn’t contributing to the conversation asked me “What styles do you like Joanne?”

“Erm. I’m not sure really” I honestly answered flushed.

Diane pointed to a picture of a beautiful bride wearing an ankle length white silk dress that had puffy long sleeves and lace netting covering the boob area. Her head covered by a traditional veil.

“With your lovely figure this dress would be perfect for you Joanne”.

“I guess so” I responded not knowing what else to say.

Louise interjected “oh it would be perfect for you babe. Look at the lovely diamante detailing on the bodice, hem and sleeves. It is quite tight fitting, however as Diane says you have the figure to pull it off”.

I knew I reddened at the weird talk of me wearing such a feminine dress. The one they had picked out was stunningly beautiful and any woman wearing it on her wedding day would look amazing.

The women continued to look through the magazines and included me within their conversation. At times selecting other styles of dresses that they said would suit me for when I eventually was a bride.

Not going to happen I thought to myself. If only Diane and Lou knew the truth.

I did however get wrapped up in the feminine conversation as the dresses were so beautiful, however in my current circumstance I couldn’t envisage ever getting married, let alone picturing myself wearing a wedding dress at my own wedding.

Lou told us more about her wedding including what church they were to be married at, how many bridesmaids she would have, what type of flowers she would like. I really enjoyed hearing of her plans for her big day and for some reason was strangely quite envious of her. I knew that the whole white wedding thing would never happen to me. For one what woman would want to marry someone as pathetic as me. It saddened me that I would probably end up a bachelor or if Mum had her way a spinster.

I thought who would even go out with me, let alone want to marry me. I may have burned my bridges with Martin. I didn't even know whether he still wanted to take me to his friend’s wedding. Did I really want to go anyway. Crikey I mused “I’m a boy for god’s sake, I shouldn't even be thinking about going to the wedding wearing a pretty dress, on the arm of a handsome young man”

My reverie was shattered by the shop doorbell ringing as someone had obviously entered the shop. I heard voices when Adam went to see who it was. The very familiar sound of my mum could be heard the other side of the wall.

Oh, thank God I thought. We can now go home. I had pretty much had my fill of girl talk for one day and wanted to get home to get changed out of my feminine clothes.

Rising as ladylike as possible from my seated position on the floor, I pulled the hem of my skirt down as far as it would go and quickly left the studio walking through to the reception area where I found mum talking to Adam.

Heather spotted me and with a beaming smile said “hello Jo. You okay Hun? Have you been keeping out of mischief?”

“Err yes of course Aunt Heather” I uneasily responded feeling agitated that she thought I had been naughty.

Sensing my discomfort she said “I am only kidding Jo” as she came over and gave me a big hug. On releasing me from her clutches she winked at me “I can’t ever imagine my Niece being anything but proper”

With Adam and Mum now watching on I know I blushed and to change the subject asked, “How did your shopping go Auntie?”

“Your mom and I had a great time thanks. We picked up a load of bargains and I got most of my Christmas shopping done early, which is unusual for me babe. I'm really happy with the main present I have got for you Joanne. I hope you are going to like it and the others presents I bought you”.

I wondered what she had got me for Christmas. My mind did overtime as Mum came over and as she too gave me a hug asked” how you doing baby are you feeling better?”

“Yes, okay thanks” I replied not really meaning it, however thought a positive answer was for the best seeing as Adam was listening in.

“That's good Jo. We really did miss you. It would have been better if you had been with us. You could have tried on a few things; though had you tagged along the presents we have got you wouldn't be a surprise.

“Anyway youngster. We better be getting home. Heather and I are going to visit your Nan after we have dropped you off. Say your goodbyes to everyone sweetheart”.

Over the next 5 minutes I said my goodbyes to Diane, Louise and little Barney. Adam and Mark were chatting away as Mark settled the bill for the photographs taken of the loving couple and their adorable dog. I did notice that during this time Adam’s eyes never really averted from me as I pulled on my coat and hung my bag over my shoulder.

Diane kissed me on the cheek. “I really enjoyed your company this afternoon Joanne. Hopefully you can help me out in the future. I'd be willing to pay you something for your time”

She leant into me and whispered “Adam is OK however it's always good to have another woman’s help. We understand what makes customers comfortable and at ease. They have obviously taught you well at the hotel honey, you have a great manner when it comes to customer service”.

I blushed at Diane’s compliments and before I had a chance to respond she excitedly declared “I have a great idea. Do you want to earn a little money Jo? In a couple of weeks, I am going to have a stand at a wedding fair being held at the Sanderson Hotel. Would you be keen to help me out? It's on a Sunday and you would be a great help assisting me in setting up in the morning and then helping me deal with customers during the day. It promises to be a great event. I have been fortunate to have been selected to take the photographs of the models on the catwalk in their wedding and bridesmaids dresses”.

“Say you will help out. You would be a real godsend. Adam plays football on a Sunday and anyway he wouldn’t want to help me as he gets embarrassed when there are loads of women gushing over girly things such as ribbons, bows and suchlike” she laughed at her own quip.

Lost for words I didn't know how to respond however as always Mum spoke on my behalf “I'm sure she would love to help Diane. Wouldn’t you Joanne?”

“Err I guess so” I uneasily responded wondering just what I would need to do on the day.

Maybe you could even do some modelling Joanne. You certainly wouldn't look out of place on the catwalk. Have you ever modelled before love?” Diane asked.

Mom again spoke before me “No she's never modelled before Diane. Jo’s really nervous being centre of attention. Aren't you love?”

For once I agreed with Mother “No thanks Diane. I wouldn’t want to bring attention to myself”.

Diane teased me. Saying that I looked like a young Princess Diana and that it would be a waste of my good looks to not get involved in some way. She said that maybe I would change my mind before the day, as it would be a great shame If I didn’t join the other young girls wearing their bridal outfits.

Adam looked on as mother and Diane continued to speak about me. Seeing that I was embarrassed he chipped in “I think you would look lovely Joanne as a bride however if she doesn't want to do it mum don't force her to”.

I smiled at Adam and silently mouthed “Thank you”.

As we left the shop after our final farewells, I let out a big sigh.

“What's up with you youngster” mom questioned.

“What's up with me Mother? You are always making decisions on my behalf. I have a voice you know” I responded annoyed.

“Listen to her Heather. Miss high almighty think she knows it all. When I speak on your behalf Joanne it’s because I'm looking out for your interests. You are new to all of this, and I am just trying to guide you to do the right thing”.

Before I had the chance to respond I felt a tap on my shoulder and on turning around on my heels found Adam smiling at me

“Sorry Jo can I have a word please” he asked ever so politely.

“Yeah, I guess so” I shyly responded as mom and Heather looked on intrigued.

Adam gently took my hand in his and led me over to the other side of the mall, out of mum and Heather’s earshot. I didn't want your mum to hear me ask you in case you got embarrassed”.

Ask me what Adam? I asked nervously.

Adam was obviously nervous about what he was about to ask me “errrrrrr would you come out with me Joanne. To the cinema or a drink or even a bite to eat. You don’t have to answer now if you don’t want to. If you don’t want to just say and I will leave you alone and won’t ask again, I just really like you”.

I felt sorry for Adam as he mumbled on struggling to get his words out and for that reason alone I somehow answered “you don't have to leave me alone Adam. I wouldn’t have a problem going out with you to the cinema or whatever you want to do”.

As soon as I had accepted his invite, I regretted my actions. What am I thinking? A boy accepting another boys invitation on a date.

Adam was obviously relieved and grinned like a Cheshire cat “that's great Jo, I'm so happy. I didn't think you would want to go out with me. I know you probably are always getting pestered by boys”.

I felt sorry for Adam as he like myself obviously lacked confidence. To stop him waffling along any further I put my finger on his lips to stop him talking and said “Nothing could be further from the truth Adam. Guys aren’t exactly queuing around the block” I laughed at my own joke

Anyway I bet you have a lot of girls who have their eyes on you”

“Not as lovely as you Jo” Adam sweetly told me.

I felt comfortable in Adams company and for the next two minutes or so we chatted. Before I knew it I had somehow accepted a date that evening to the local cinema to see a romcom called St Emo’s Fire. How did that happen I thought to myself as I made my way back to Mum and Heather who had been looking on amused the whole time.

“What was that all about Jo?” Heather asked as we all watched Adam walk off into the distance

“Err I guess I am going out on a date with Adam” I replied somewhat in a daze.

“Really? When?” mom asked excitedly.

“Tonight. He is picking me up at 7pm” I said puzzled as to why I had said yes.

“Oh, my lord child. You work fast. I didn’t know you felt that way about Diane’s Adam” Mum exclaimed surprised.

We made our way back to the car as both Mum and Heather enthusiastically discussed my upcoming date.

Mum had to drive us home as I told her I was in no fit state to drive having somehow willingly accepted a date with a boy.

I sat in the back seat listening to Mum and Heather, whilst absentmindedly playing with the ruffles of my blouse. They both reminisced about when boys asked had them out to the cinema when they were both young girls around my age. They shared their experiences of when they used to have a kiss and cuddle on the back row when the lights went down. They both gleefully chatted about how their dates always tried to get to second base when their lecherous hands used to reach under their skirts, before the hands got slapped away.

On hearing of their tales of youth, I thought that I would ask mum whether I could wear trousers tonight, as I visibly shook thinking of Adams hands potentially reaching under my skirt and the repercussions should he find out my secret.

End of Chapter 35

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

She's Too Nice

joannebarbarella's picture

Joanne is her own worst enemy, as she empathises with others like herself and can't bear to see them disappointed.

No way Mum is going to allow her to wear trousers on her date, but I'm betting Adam is too much of a gentleman to go for second base.

Sweet confusion

Marie Caresse's picture

Joe/Jo's confusion and intense emotions are so well handled. I am so caught up in her dilemma, i have my fingers crossed for this engaging young person.

In for a penny...

Dee Sylvan's picture

Another lovely chapter Lucy. It's probably high time that Joanne have a realistic look in the mirror. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Joanne's mom seems to be in the 'living vicariously' moment. I wonder if Aunt Heather has any good stories of the two sisters that might shed some light on mom's obsession with everything girly for Joanne? Thanks for posting Lucy! :DD

DeeDee

Everyone loves a wedding

Hi Lucy!!
Thanks for continuing and you are really diving into the deep end with your dates. They seem to have fallen into your lap and I doubt that a train set is among your Christmas presents. I cannot wait to see what happens next and if you got to experience being a wedding model on top of all of your other experiences, you have officially lived out all my dreams and fantasies. As I am sure you have. I know that it was not easy for you and there is some consternation apparent in this chapter as you reflect about what girl would marry you. How you got over that and ultimately accepted being the one wearing the gown is something I hope you reveal. Thanks for sharing YOUR story.

Love and support, Jenny