The Apron

Printer-friendly version

The Apron
A Vignette
By Maryanne Peters

I don’t believe in magic, but it is hard to think of another explanation. I may not have been the manliest of males, but I was male. Now I am not so sure.

I was helping out in the kitchen as a guy should do, and as I was stirring the meat sauce, and as wearing a while shirt, somebody suggested that I put on an apron. That stuff stains.

There was only one apron, hanging on the inside of the pantry door. It was pink with a bow on the front. I smiled as I put it on. I would turn to the guys, and they would laugh and tell me that I belonged in an apron and in the kitchen

But before I could even acknowledge how it made me feel, I turned around and stuck a pose for them. Kane was making a salad and Brett was getting more beer. They both just stared at me, as if I was a stranger. It was like the apron had turned me into somebody else.

And stranger than that, was that was how I felt. I felt as if I was not the same person. The truth is that I was not – the same person, that is - not from the moment that I put the apron on, and they saw me in it.

Like I said, I don’t believe in magic. It now seems to me that the guys saw me in a new light from that moment, not because I was wearing something pink and feminine, but because they realized that I belonged in it. I guess I looked happy and comfortable, because that is how I felt. It seems that they saw the woman in me, and I could see them looking at me and seeing that woman.

Of course, that was months ago now. Since then, the hormones have worked their magic and I am starting to fill this bra and empty the front of my panties. And I wear my hair up these days, to keep it out of the sauce. I am taking charge of cooking these days, because I like to look after the boys, and they like being looked after, in more ways than one.

I still wear the apron – sometimes with not much else. I look good in it.

And maybe there is something magical about it. What do you think?

00 Apron.jpg

The End

© Maryanne Peters 2023

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't usally like magic

crash's picture

I don't usually like stories that involve magic. But this little taste was just right.
I have not been commenting as much as you deserve. I still get a little frisson of anticipation when I see new work from you. This work was no exception.

Ever your fan
Crescenda

Your friend
Crash

Just like Crash, I do not usually go for stories which use magic

But, in this story is it really magic, or something that the narrator thinks might be so, as he/she begins to realise his/her femininity?
Equally like Crash, a story with your byline is a ready invitation to readership. I used to comment often, but found myself running out of superlatives. To the best of my remembrance, I have never missed a kudos!
This story was sufficiently different a comment would have come even without that feeling that I also needed to express a difference of detail from another reader's comment!
I will certainly miss your stories even if I do not comment so frequently.
Best wishes,
Dave

Magic? Or just humanity?

I generally have a hard and fast rule against magic or anything too fantastical and I am not sure I have broken this here.
I for one think that an item of clothing can transform a person - the wearer can feel it and perhaps onlookers can see it too?
Erin is a big fan of the fantastical and she has persuaded me to go all out with a magic story, but if it appears here it will not be under my name!
Watch out for that!
Maryanne

So short and yet so sweet.

Lovely.
Keep this up and you will be challenging Bru as the mistress of ultra short tales.
Samantha

Wow!

Glenda98's picture

That hit the spot!

Glenda Ericsson