Space Battleship TEXAS - Part 1

Printer-friendly version

 

Space Battleship TEXAS
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2019 Melanie Brown

A stowaway unknowingly on a mission to save planet Earth


Inspired by the movie and anime series Space Battleship Yamato https://youtu.be/51PjegTadWU -- Ed


Part 1

 


 

“Gentlemen. Just what should we make of this object? Is it a weapon of some sort? A beacon? What?” The general sounded impatient. A mix of military personnel and scientists were gathered around a table in the military lab deep underground to examine an object that just fell to Earth.

Science Officer Redding pushed his glasses back up on his nose and poked the football sized metallic object lying on the table with his pen. “Damn if I know for sure, general. What we do know is it’s an amazing device that seems to be a courier of some sort. Its case is harder than any known material and made of a metal of no known alloy. It came from deep space. From the same trajectory as the Gahjin Empire. It broadcast a simple signal that told us how to interface it to our computer systems.”

The general was incredulous. “Good God, man. You didn’t actually do it, did you?” He looked over at the senior science officer, Mr. Phelps.

The general pointed at the strange device. “It could have been a bomb or infected our computer systems.”

The science officer removed his glasses and wiped them with a soft cloth that had been lying on the table. “It could have been dangerous. But it seemed to be inviting us. It seems benign.”

A captain standing next to the general huffed and folded his arms, one of which was prosthetic. “If I was going to make a bomb, I’d make it inviting as well.”

The science officer returned his glasses to his face as he looked at the captain. “Why bother? The Earth is done. We’ll be out of resources in less than a year. In a way, I kinda hoped it was a bomb.”

The senior science officer frowned. He looked over to the general. “What’s inside this seemingly small device is a wealth of knowledge and technological advances that are far beyond us. There are instructions on building a power source and weapons system capable of defeating any Gahjin vessel. We’ve been given a gift, general. A gift that could save the earth. The person who needs help refers to herself only as ‘The Princess.’”

The pragmatic general frowned. “Or destroy it. Who would send us such a thing and why?”

The science officer shrugged. “They refer to themselves are the Ishkars. They sent us this information to help us defeat the Gahjins. We’re guessing they’re under attack as well, but have no way to fight them.”

The general shook his head. “I’m skeptical, gentlemen. If they possess such advanced technology, why don’t they defeat the Gahjins?”

Senior Science Officer Phelps said, “They insist they have no way to wage war. They just ask us to please help.”

Colonel Jameson pointed at one of the display screens. “Let’s just say all this is real, for sake of argument. Look at the specs for just the power source. It’s bigger than even our largest ship in the fleet. We just don’t have enough time to design and build a space craft large enough to house that monster.”

Admiral Yamato, who had been watching silently moved up to the table. He grinned as he pointed at the power source. “I beg to differ, colonel. We do have a vessel large enough to hold this power source. And with the directions in this object, we can retrofit it with, what did you call them Mr. Phelps? Flex guns? I think we’d have a fighting chance.”

“Where is this vessel, Admiral?” asked the general.

The admiral heaved a sigh. “Galveston.”

*          *          *

“What?! Are you nuts?” I exclaimed. I looked at my best friend Blake Anderson as if he’d lost his mind. “You’re one of the few fighter pilots who actually got discharged.” After completing one hundred fifty sorties, fighter pilots were discharged from service. Not many reached that milestone since the war with the Gahjins started.

Blake shook his head. “This will be the greatest mission in history. I want to be part of it.”

“It’s a suicide mission,” I folded my arms.

With a smirk, Blake said, “Staying on Earth is a suicide mission. I’ll take my chances in space. You’re eighteen now. Sign up and come with me. They could use a whiz in electronics like you. Maybe a communications tech. You did pretty well with that in school.”

I grunted a laugh as I moved next to him and ran the palm of my hand from the top of my head to just below his chin. “You forget I’m something of a runt. And I don’t have a lot of muscle. I’m not the military type.”

Blake laughed. “Not everyone has to be studly like me to be in the Navy. Someone like you would be perfect for climbing through the guts of a ship to fix things.”

I sighed as I shoved my hands into my pants pockets and walked over to a screen showing current conditions on the surface. I rarely looked outside anymore since the war started. What once was a green lawns with flowers and trees was now just blowing dirt and dried, twisted stumps. Not only had the Gahjins been relentlessly bombing our cities, they found a way to dry up our oceans and lakes and then capture the water vapor for their own use. There was almost no surface water left. Government experts said we had almost a year left before the Earth was completely uninhabitable, even underground.

I looked down at my feet. “It’s hopeless, Blake. The Earth is done. We’re done. Why fight it? Sure, we responded quickly when the first automated bombs begin raining down on us. We built that awesome space fleet in less than a year to meet the inevitable Gahjin fleets. And they defeated us.”

Blake sat down. “Not right away. And at tremendous cost to them.”

I plopped down in a chair opposite Blake. “And we were defeated.” I closed my eyes and shook my head. “I miss my brother. That’s his chair you’re sitting in. He was sitting there just a year ago. Now he’s dead just like the rest of us will be.”

Blake leaned forward in the chair. “Your brother died a hero, Tyler. He was a captain of the second largest cruiser in the fleet. His actions bought the rest of the fleet time to return to Earth.”

A tear rolled down my cheek. “Yeah. And he’s still dead. And the fleet he saved was almost completely destroyed in the next attack. He could have just come home and died quietly like the rest of us are going to do.”

Blake jumped to his feet. “You’re brother wasn’t the kind of man to just lie down and die. Maybe you should be more like him.”

I walked over and grabbed my metal detector along with a backpack containing a few water bottles. “I’m not like him. Hey, rather than sitting here and complaining about the world, want to go scavenging with me? I make pretty good money recovering old electronics with gold and rare earth minerals. The government buys all I can find.”

Blake chuckled. “Sure. Why not? Who knows when I’ll get the chance again.”

We took the elevator to the surface where we were met by a very warm, dry breeze and blowing dirt. Few ventured to the surface any longer. My apartment was about a mile from what was once the Gulf of Mexico. Now it’s just a dry, rocky wasteland. But a lot of junk flowed into it along with what water was left. The junk was a treasure trove for me.

There were several dirt bikes stored in an abandoned shed that someone had left charging. Apparently there was still power being fed into the small building. My brother and I would just use them when we wanted. We always returned them and nobody ever said anything.

This day we chose to ride in the area where some old ship that had been docked for a long time, and eventually just sank into the mud that was the bottom of the Gulf before the mud turned hard as stone. Only the rusting conning tower of the old ship rose above the surface.

We were having a bountiful harvest of debris; six cell phones, some computer circuit boards and old engine parts. I jiggled the pack after I had loaded it with our scavenging efforts.

“What a haul, Blake!” I exclaimed. “Some of these are your finds. Sure you don’t want to share in the credits?”

Blake shook his head. “Nah. I need to go. Training starts in two days. Think about joining up. See ya.”

We shook hands and I watched Blake ride off over the dry surface of the Gulf toward what was once Galvaston. I frowned as I watched him. I thought to myself, “No way in hell am I going to sign up for some suicide military mission.”

End Part 1

*          *          *

up
347 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh how FUN!!

laika's picture

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMOTO is one of the few animes I'm familiar with, although this was back in the 1970's so I don't remember much except the crusty old captain and the overpowered ray cannon in the bow; but this seems like a good Americanized version of the show I use to watch on station KWHY, which showed stock market returns until the NYSE closed for the day and then Japanese cartoons in the afternoon (also the show that was cannibalized and repackaged as Power Rangers) for L.A.'s fairly sizeable Japanese-American population. These were shown WITHOUT subtitles, so me and my pothead friends had to pretty much guess what was going on and supply our own WHAT"S UP TIGER LILLY-type dialogue. Glad to see it in English this time and actually comprehensible. I'm really looking forward to more!
~hugs, Veronica

Yamoto

NoraAdrienne's picture

I actually have the DVD of that Anime. I've watched it a couple of times over the years. It was an amazing story also.

never say never

it always comes back to bite you ...

DogSig.png

Interesting

This is an interesting start I can’t say I’ve seen that show,

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

This looks promising.

I'll be waiting to see where you take us with this tale.

Thank You.

Gwen

Heh

erin's picture

You nailed it, Melanie. The tone is perfect. The exposition, the veering tangents, the obtuse but obvious plot, all the things that made early Japanese anime a genre. Like 50s comics and 30s potboilers, the transparent devices enabled storytelling while making parody inevitable. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Okay, someone has been

watching too much Star Blazer's. I loved that cartoon when I was younger and watched both series of it.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Good Start

Keep it up! This could and very likely will make for interesting reading

Space Battleship Yamoto

WillowD's picture

It's been so long since I've watched this that I don't know for sure that I have watched it. I am certainly familiar with the title.

I'm quite enjoying the start of this story. I look forward to reading more.

And I really need to sit down some week and do a marathon read of ALL of your stories. I've enjoyed (or thoroughly enjoyed and frequently reread) your published novels, as well as the stories I've read here. I just haven't sat down and read all of them yet.

From the sounds of it

staying on Earth is a suicide mission.

Refurbishing the USS Texas

Brooke Erickson's picture

Refurbishing the USS Texas was also a big thing in Daniel de La Cruze's "Ayes of Texas (there are three books in the series, but I only remember that title)

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Prologue

Was that here all along, or was it added after the fact? I don't recall seeing it the first time I read this.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Part 1

Melanie Brown's picture

This chapter was posted first.