Babs' New Year's Resolution 23

Printer-friendly version

Bab’s New Year’s Resolution 23

List of Characters.

Barbara. Chief Protagonist AKA Bab’s.
Lola. (Seventeen) Transgendered girl rescued by Bab’s from an attempted murder.
Olivia. (Fifteen) Barbara’s second adopted daughter: Black lesbian girl fostered out of care then adopted. (With Olivia’s consent!)
Joyce Banks. Bristol Social worker.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to -
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
They are a married couple who own a narrow-boat on the canal. Friends of Lola
Mickey Talbot (Twelve) Aaron and Shirley’s oldest child.
Jessica Talbot (Eleven) Aaron & Shirley’s middle child.
Bianca Talbot (Nine) Aaron & Shirley’s Youngest child.
Billy Medical colleague of Aaron’s – he also owns a narrow boat in Bristol.
Sandra Her parents also own another Narrowboat in Gloucester.
Jackie Sandra’s friend (a bit headstrong and ‘adventurous’)
Julie Third member of the threesome, (more level-headed and sensible than Jackie).
Jason. (Black) London Gang member deals in drugs at the children’s homes
Tyrone (Black) Also a gang member, friend of Jason. Also a dealer.
Tyson (White) Also a gang member into drugs and trafficking young girls.
Angela (Angie), Olivia’s trafficked, drug-addicted friend (Rape-gang Victim and important witness)
Sergeant Davis, (Bridie) female police bodyguard for Angela.
Detective Sergeant Davies. (Brian) Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation in Birmingham.
Erica. Another girl victim thought originally, to have been killed by the gang,
Belinda. Lola’s new girlfriend in college.

Chapter 23

As they lashed the Christmas tree onto the roof rack of Lola’s Land-rover the thankful motorist turned to Lola.

“Well. I just can’t thank you enough for all the help you’ve given my young lady. And I never got your name.”

Lola reddened slightly as she tried to explain without giving anything away.

“I can’t give you my name sir. When we get back to your car, the police officer will explain.”

He fell silent as Lola heard his mental gears turning.

“Are you in some sort of trouble.”

“No. But my two friends are so I cannot reveal my identity as it might compromise their security. If you want to know any more, you’ll have to ask the police officer who’s waiting in your car with my step-nana and the two girls.”

“I see. Well you have no need to fear me young lady, I’m a lieutenant general in the army.”

“I don’t fear you sir but I fear for my friends, they’re in danger and that’s all I can say.”

A tense silence settled in the car until they arrived slipping and sliding down to the lay-by where Lola’s family sat waiting. There, the general went immediately towards Gareth, the police guard and pulled out his MOD identity card. Lola watched until the general returned.

“That police officer has explained young lady I understand now, you’ve been a very brave girl. I’m going to give you my calling card so if you ever find a need of help, I might be able to offer you some.”

So saying, he handed his card and three fifty-pound-notes with his parting words.

“That’s a Christmas box for each of you girls. I won’t accept any refusal and thank you all once again. Good night every-body.”

Olivia and Angela fell upon Lola like a pack of wolves as they realised there was money to be shared.

“Fifty quid each!” Angela squealed as she took the proffered note. “Roll on the Boxing day sales!”

Olivia likewise gloated over her prize and mood in the Land-rover driving home was definitely one of festive cheer.
As they were unpacking the Land-rover at Canal cottage, Lola’s phone rang and she excused herself momentarily.

“Hi Bel, did you get all your shopping done?”

“Yes. Eventually.”

“Too much was there,” Lola chuckled.

“No it wasn’t that, my dad was late getting back with the Christmas tree.”

“Oh, nothing serious then. Was he drunk or something?”

“No. He skidded off the road rushing to catch the farm before they shut down for the night and he skidded into a ditch.”

“Oh. He’s okay though is he?”

“Yeah. Some people with a land-rover got him out of trouble.”

Lola fell silent momentarily as she realised what had happened.

“Hello, hello – you still there Lol’s?”

“Yeah; still here so what did he say happened.”

“Well he didn’t say much. Except to say he thought they were farm girls at first because they were pretty good at getting the car out of the ditch but when the older girl offered to get him to the farm in time to buy a tree, he began to realise they weren’t local girls. Especially the two black girls, they spoke like Londoners. Anyway, he gave them some money by way of saying thank you and that was it. The farm-girls took off for home and he drove back to Cirencester. His car’s got a couple of dents but it’s his car so he can sort it.”

“And that was it; nothing else?”

“Nope. How did your day go.”

“Oh just shopping, shopping, shopping. We’re pretty much set for Christmas now.”

“Will I see you before Christmas. I’ve got your pressie.”

“Ah! Well I can’t see you tomorrow, we’re going to Birmingham and Monday’s out cos we’re putting up decorations and stuff. Tuesday’s the only day I’ve got free, can I visit you on Tuesday.”

“Yes. It’s my dad you see. He wants to check you out, what with you being tran’s and stuff.”

“Will this be some sort of inquisition. If he gets abusive or super-critical, I’ll give as good as I get.”

Belinda chuckled.

“Oh don’t I know it. I well remember your first time at the debating society. I still can’t make my dad out though; he hasn’t asked any questions or pumped me for info about you. I don’t think he’ll be rude or anything but if he disapproves, I’ll find out about it one way or another.”

“Well, it’s got to be Tuesday if I’m to see you before Chrimbo or if not, it’s after Christmas.

“Tuesday it’ll have to be then. Try and dress nicely, none of those outrageous outfits you wear at the college bashes.”

Lola sensed Belinda’s nervousness but she was so amused at the thought of meeting Belinda’s father again and the consternation it might cause that she had to pinch herself to stop from bursting out laughing.

“Do I come to your house or do we meet in a pub or something?”

“Oh the house, definitely. Mum wouldn’t hear of your not coming to the house.”

The arrangements were fixed and Lola rolled over in her bed before eventually falling asleep.

Tuesday finally arrived and Lola decided on a pair a faux-denim jeggings, and her best real leather calf length boots with a medium two inch heel. Up top she wore a cream, semi-transparent, long-sleeved blouse over her white chemise with a push-up bra.

She chose the few decent pieces jewellery that she owned, namely her best diamond stud earrings, - the silver necklace that Nina had given her for getting into Cambridge, - the beautiful Lady-Rolex that she’d won as a nationwide prize for a maths competition she’d recently won and finally - a very valuable silver eternity ring that she’d stolen long ago from the social worker who’d lied about her earliest academic efforts in the courts and thus caused her to be denied a proper chance to attend a good quality school during her early teenaged years.

The eternity ring was her most secret and second most valuable possession after the watch.

The necklace was her most treasured possession for it came from Bab’s.

As she slipped the multi-jewelled eternity ring onto her finger she reflected upon the many wrongs she’d endured during the first fifteen years of her chaotic life being shuttled from care-home to care-home. Then she considered the few wonderful ‘rights’ she enjoyed since Bab’s had found her, then rescued her and finally adopted her.

Thus girded for battle, she threw her Barbour jacket across the Land-rover seats and bid Bab’s and Bridie a cheery farewell. As she picked her way up the hairpin lane she glanced at the jacket and muttered ‘bloody farm girl!’, I’ll give ‘em farm girl.

Naturally, it being late December, it was pissing down when she finally arrived in Cirencester and pulled up at Belinda’s driveway gates. She donned the Barbour jacket then tilted her ‘Zimmerman’ hat and slid out of the cab. The rattle of the diesel had immediately alerted Belinda who flew out of the front door and down the drive to ensure a smooth cordial meeting just as Lola was turning to enter the gateway.

“Best behaviour now and, by the way, my older brother’s here, he just arrived last night.”

“Have you told him I’m only into girls.”

“Yeah, but he’ll still say stupid things like – ‘what a waste’ – you know what men are like.”

“Ah well, let’s get it over with,” Lola sighed, “once more unto the breach dear friend.”

“Oh don’t be so dramatic!” Belinda charged, as she thumped Lola in the arm affectionately.

Her action was seen by her father who had appeared at the front door. To break any ice he was about to say – “What, lover’s tiff already, and you’ve not even crossed the threshold!”

Instead his words died on his lips as he recognised the girl who had helped with the car. Instead, Belinda was left to make the introductions.

“Lol’s, this is my Dad, General Harrington, and dad this is my friend from Uni - “

“Farm-girl.” Lola interjected with an amused smile.

“So it is you!” General Harrington laughed.

“The very same, complete with Barbour and Zimmer-hat.” Lola removed her hat to doff it like an Elizabethan gentleman.

“Am I missing something here?” Belinda asked.

“Yes darling,” the general explained. “It was Lola and her land-rover who rescued me the other day.”

“Plus Olivia, Angela and Gareth’s help.” Lola added.

“Well yes indeed. Let’s get you out of this rain, come along inside.”

A gob-smacked Belinda followed them in and squinted at her father as he helped Lola remove the heavy waxed Barbour coat. Then she turned to Lola.

“So it was you!”

Lola nodded with an amused smile as Belinda’s eyes started to twinkle with amusement.

“So you let me go all through that shit while wetting myself with anxiety and you two have already met.”

General Harrington took his daughter in a hug to reassure her as he explained.

“I’ve no problems with your friend Lola my darling. If she’s as good to you as she was to me that evening then I’m sure we’ll get along just fine. Martha! One more for lunch!”

Lola turned around to meet Belinda’s mother emerging from the drawing room accompanied by Belinda’s younger sisters. After introductions were completed, she was led into the dining room and placed next to the General as the rest of the family took their places. To her surprise Belinda’s brother then appeared and took a seat opposite Lola so that he faced her all through the meal.

Almost immediately the conversation centred upon the circumstances surrounding Lola’s and Belinda’s first meeting.

“And you ended up helping my daughter with some maths concerning her applied physics studies. Are you good at maths then?”

“Daddy!” Belinda almost squealed. “Lola won the Adams prize and she’s only just entered college. It’s normally awarded to graduate research students.”

Lola’s face crimsoned with embarrassment.

“Please, Bel – not so loud babes.”

The general grinned as he observed.

“Hiding your light under a bushel are you girl?”

“I haven’t been awarded it yet because I’m an undergraduate,” Lola explained, “but I’ve had it confirmed, I’ll receive it along with my degree when or if I graduate. Hopefully that’s three years from now. Belinda only found out because she saw the letter on my desk. It’s not public knowledge yet.”

“Is this to do with what that police officer said when you towed me out?”

“No. That’s just a coincidence.”

“D’ you know young lady, it seems such a pity to waste your genes. They’ve got so much potential and yet you won’t share them with the rest of humanity.”

“That’s not fair general. I’ve frozen my sperm in case I ever want children.”

“Even as she said the words, Lola suddenly had a funny thought and she failed to suppress a smile.”

“What’s so amusing then?” The general pressed. “Would you like to share the joke.”

“Uuhmm. I’d rather not, it’s a bit of private irony. A bit of my life.”

“Oh go on, don’t be shy Lola.” Belinda’s mother Martha encouraged her.

“I’d rather not. It’s very private joke.”

“If you are going to become Belinda’s partner then you become family and families shouldn’t have secrets.” General Harrington declared.

Lola shrugged, then pulled a wry smile before observing.

“Okay then. Both barrels mind you.

“Go ahead. I’ve faced live-fire plenty of times.”

“All my life I was brought up in care. People have called me scum or rubbish and bullied me in and out of every care home. Calling me a waste of space or suggesting that it would have been - ‘better if I’d dribbled down my father’s leg’-, and so on. It doesn’t do much for somebody’s self-esteem; in fact it fucks with your mind, if you’ll pardon the language.”

“Carry on young lady, I’ve heard plenty of that sort of language.”

Lola re-girded her loins and carried on as asked.

“Well! Then, suddenly, today; I meet a father suggesting it might be a good idea to share my genes with humanity and seemingly implying he’d like his own daughter to be the recipient. Normally, from where I’m usually sat; fathers are perched over their daughters riding shotgun. I think you’ll understand now why I was laughing ironically to myself. The change is difficult to adjust to.”

The general grinned then explained.

“In relationships young lady, I have always held that a couple’s relationship can survive many different elements such as differing races, differing class, different colours indeed, almost different anything except differing levels of intelligence. Two people have to be on similar wave-lengths to get through all the bangs and knocks of marriage, parenthood, poverty or whatever. Provided that couple can communicate on the same level, they can usually rub along.

I must confess to you now that we always knew our Belinda to be something of a ‘blue-stocking’ girl. She’s incredibly intelligent as you will have found out and I was always worried that she might have to travel a long painful road to find a like-minded partner. Then, out of the blue, along comes Lola Smith a transgendered girl who openly admits to having emerged from the dregs of society and appears like a rose out of the dirt to steal our Belinda’s heart and – more importantly, her mind. If, as she has confirmed, you actually helped her with a maths problem then that confirms you are of similar intellectual ability and that bodes well for both of your happiness’s. I for one am truly happy and hopeful for your mutual future, it you choose to share the same path. You have my blessings.”

“And mine,” Belinda’s mother Martha added enthusiastically.

Lola could not hide the tear of relief that forced its way to her eye.

ooo000ooo

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Ugly Duckling

joannebarbarella's picture

And a very fine swan indeed.

sweet

sweet

Forged from the fire

Jamie Lee's picture

Lola has gone through hell and came out the other side more appreciative of what she has now. And getting the father's blessing was another thing to appreciate.

Others have feelings too.