Babs' New Year's Resolution 95

Printer-friendly version

Babs’ New Year’s Resolution 95

© Beverly Taff.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter. Lesbian black artist
Angela Smith Bab’s adopted daughter Olivia’s lover
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Lola’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.
Susan Harvey Prosecution counsel advocating for Erica.
Han’s The policeman’s son Erica fancies
Uncle Phillip CIA Agent.
Emily Jackson. Texan girl Kidnapped to Holland & Turkey
Sandra Jackson Sister to Emily kidnapped in Texas as a hostage.
Eddie Emily’s Tandem surfing partner.

Chapter 95.

As the police car sped to the weir where the surf club had finally ended; Bridie was urgently checking all the angles to try and ascertain if there was any threat remaining.

From her own perspective, the various cameras both on their bodies and on the dashboards of the police cars would confirm their reports and the circumstances surrounding the gang-members violent death under the log. Bridie was reassured that she could not be held accountable for allowing him to be crushed.

With a clear conscience, she finally located the exhausted but elated surfers, not least by the loud celebrations in the pub carpark next to the weir.

“Yes, we’re in the White Hart pub carpark.” Emily squealed excitedly on her phone. Everybody’s here! We’ve smashed the record all the way to Maisemore Weir.”

“You make sure you’re surrounded by club members and stay low.” Bridie urged.

“Yeah we’re okay. All the victory shoulder tossing is over. Poor Eddie is exhausted. He carried me all the way.”

Having ascertained Emily and the other girls were all accounted for and safe; Bridie relaxed as the police car finally eased into the pubs’ carpark.

“E’ere! You cant just push into the carpark just like that!” One of the rubbernecks protested.

Bridie produced her police warrant card and quietly informed the woman that she could.
Even as she did so, a second police car arrived flying all the colours.
For a brief moment, the surfers became defensive until Eddie emerged from his van to calm a few hotheads.

“It’s okay lads, they’re here legit’! Can’t say why though.”

He turned to Bridie even as Emily stepped forward.

“We’d best chat in your car.”

“Thanks Eddie,” Bridie replied; using first names to defuse the situation further. I’ll chat to Emily in my car if you can talk to my colleague in the patrol car. Sit in the front seat to show you’re not being arrested.”

Having settled the mood, Bridie then announced.

“If any of you guys have anything to add, particularly when you claimed your stoke, I’d respectfully ask you to come forward. We’ll explain whey when you talk to the officers.”

The mood changed from defensive antagonism to curiosity as the debriefings went apace. The fortunate outcome being that those who needed to know, learned that Emily was in a witness protection scheme for kidnaps in the USA. The fact that the witness had been removed as far away as the UK, was not lost on the surfers.

As they retired to the pub, the mood was subdued as the club members realised that the shots they had heard were for real, and their star tandem surfer was truly in danger.

“Are you sure you want to do this anymore?” The club secretary asked Emily.

“I’ll be returning back home for the trial in a couple of months.” Emily replied. “I doubt that there will be many more suitable bores.”

This information put a bit of a damper on the celebrations and bridie was secretly glad to be leaving the pub before the club dispersed. As she was collating notes and discussing events with her police colleagues, Olivia appeared by the driver’s door of Bridie’s car.

“Can I have a word Sergeant ?”

“Of course Ollie. What’s up?”

“Have you got a notebook and paper.”

Bridie, like all the police attached to the case, were fully aware of Olivia’s remarkable drawing skills and her gift for recalling faces. Bridie quickly produced a sheet of A4 notepaper and a pencil.

“Have you seen someone?”

“Yes. He was one of the ‘hanger’s on’ in Texas. Like some sort of casual interest but he was around in the background a lot outside the court.”

“Bloody hell Ollie! You never cease to amaze me. Sorry about the lines on the paper.” She handed Olivia the pad.

Olivia settled into the passenger seat and quickly sketched the man she had recognised. As she drew, she explained.

“He was standing amongst the crowds on the bridge over the river then he came over to the car park. When he saw all the police cars he made tracks but I’ve got an image of the car he drove and the number.”

So saying, the finished the portrait then sketched the car.

“I couldn’t make out the badge but it was a red car like this and there’s the number.”

By this time, Inspector John had turned up from Gloucester and he too was distinctly pleased with Olivia’s handiwork.

“Do you think he’s lying up somewhere to follow the girls home and locate the safe-house?” He mused to the team.

“Very probably,” Bridie replied, “I think they’ve had a fright today and from what Olivia says, it’s unlikely he’s one of the hit men. Possibly one of the organisers.”

“I’ll rustle up a couple more plain-clothed detectives with cars and we’ll just track the girls home. Let all the team see these pictures.”

With a plan formed, Inspector John met with Lola and explained the sketches.

“You’re driving the girls in your Land-rover aren’t you?”

“Yes,” Lola confirmed. “And Lola of course.”

“Good. Then I’m going to ask you to go home this way, via Cheltenham and Cirencester.”

“Are you trying to use us as bait again?”

“No, I want you to drive to this place. It’s an alternative safe house but if you’re being followed, we want any other kidnappers to think you live at this address.” He showed Lola the address.

“Does anybody live there?” Lola asked.

“No. We just maintain it for emergencies such as this. The idea is to see if he does turn up. We keep tabs to see if there’s anybody else. Of course once we ascertain he’s followed you guys to the house, we make sure nobody else is around then we sneak you out of the house back to Bab’s. When they attack the safe house they’ll get a nasty surprise.”

“Jeeze. Will this ever stop?”

We hope so. We need to ask the Yanks if they know this guy.”

The image was duly sent to Texas and almost by return a message came back confirming the image as one of the kidnap gangs’ heavies. Lola’s Land-rover was ‘borrowed’ and left at the safe house as bait. Sure enough; another attack on the house followed and this enabled the police to trap some more of the gang.

“Pleased with our efforts Sherriff?” Inspector John asked when the familiar Texan law officer returned to Gloucester to confirm the scoop.

“Brilliant! This strengthens the case even further. Are you going to hold them over here while we finish this case?”

“If you want. When’s the hearing.”

“Two months. The gang is getting nervous since their cronies ‘disappeared.’ They’re beginning to view England as some sort of ‘black hole’ They’re getting desperate and they’re making mistakes.”

“What are they looking at over here?” The sheriff asked.

“The firearms offences alone will get them a minimum of seven years just for possessing guns.
If they’ve used them, -and they have-; they’re facing ten before any assault or attempted murder charges are brought. The judge can add the penalties together if he’s so minded and traffickers are not liked over here these days. The politics is highly charged.”

“Good!” The sheriff replied with some satisfaction. “And when they complete their sentences over her, I’m sure Texas will have a case for them to answer waiting in our courts.”

Both officers shared a private congratulatory drink in the inspector’s private office.

ooo000ooo

In Canal cottage, Spring was well and truly on track and the Texan girls were genuinely sad when the first hearings were called in Texas. They learned that they would probably be in the Texan courts for upwards of a month while the English girls would only be required as material witnesses for the gangs’ assaults had been dealt with in the European courts.

“Gonna’ miss all this green,” Emily and Sandra lamented as they slipped through a secure gateway to a small private departure lounge.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be seeing you again in a few weeks to give our evidence.” Lola sympathised as she turned to the Texan Sheriff.

“What’s the situation with witness protection?”

“We’ve got it nailed down now. There was a huge ruckus about the inside informers within our ranks and the Mexicans. We’ve had to keep the Guatemalans out of these hearings, there’s just too much corruption. About fifty high ranking politicians have been declared persona-non-grata in the US. Not to mention about a hundred gang members.”

“You make sure you look after them,” Oliva demanded, much to the sheriffs’ amusement.

By prearrangement, the girls did not crowd around to watch the aircraft take off. They knew not to draw attention to themselves so they slipped quietly out of the airport and picked their way home by lesser roads to make once again certain they were not being followed.

When they returned to Canal cottage they slumped with relief to devour the dinner Bab’s had prepared. That night the mood was subdued as the girls discussed the forthcoming second Texas trial.

“I hope it’s not going to be another ‘razzamatazz’ bloody freakshow,” Lola remarked. “I just wanna’ get it over with.”

“You’ll like it if we get damages again.” Angie smirked.

“Yeah, that would help,” Ollie added. “Still we’ll just have to see.

“School tomorrow, ain’t that a bore.” Angie sighed.

“Yea just imagine. ‘For homework children, I would like you to describe what you did in the holidays.”

“You can leave that well alone!” Lola warned. “Anyway this’ll be your last term won’t it?”

“Yeah, thank god. I’m going to write to that professor at the RA hopefully get an arts scholarship.”

“Well done girl. Go for it, you know you’re good enough.”

“Yeah. But I’m still worried that Jason or Tyson or Tyrone might be out by now. If they latch onto me or Angie, well -.”

“Have the police check them out. Jason got three years didn’t he.”

“And with remission that’s 18 months or two years. That’s more than probably time enough for those bastards to be back on the streets.”

“I’ll get Bridie to check it out.”

With this offer, Olivia made for Bed. Lola phoned Bridie.

“You’re up late.” Bridie answered.

“It’s Angie, she’s wondering if any of the London gang have made remission yet. You know Tyson and Jason.”

“I’ll check in the morning,” Bridie reassured Lola.

ooo000ooo

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love the Never-Ending Story,

both the movie and this wonderful tale. Keep it coming please, I think I'll be ok with the story ending somewhere around chapter 200 or so, but no promises. I love long stories!

This has been a very long story

Both in time and in content. It has been long enough that many of the people who have gone to prison would be good getting out by now.