Babs' New Year's Resolution 81

Printer-friendly version

Babs' New Year’s Resolution 81 ©Copyright to Beverly Taff April 2021

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter. (Excellent Artist.)
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Lola’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.
Susan Harvey Prosecution counsel advocating for Erica in court.
Han’s The German policeman’s son whom Erica really fancies.
Uncle Phillip CIA Agent.

Chapter 81

Babs’ reached into her handbag and located her vibrating phone. She read the text and frowned irritably.

‘What’s she been up to now?’ She asked herself as she quietly exited the court with as little fuss as possible.

Once outside the courtroom she found a seat in a quiet corner and dialled back. An unknown voice answered.

“Is that Miss Barbara Smith?”

“Yes. Who is this?”

“It’s Police Officer Peggy McCloud and I’m phoning from Houston Hospital, here’s your daughter.”

For an instant, a wave of fear turned Babs’s stomach until she heard her beloved adopted daughter’s voice.

“Hi Nana! It’s okay, I’m not in trouble. I’ve injured my hand and the police have taken me to the memorial hospital in down-town Houston. Officer McCloud is holding the phone for me.”

“Why are the police involved?” Babs’ demanded to know.

“I’ll let Officer McCloud explain, the surgeon’s going to repair my hand soon and they want to prep me. Speak to Officer Peggy McCloud, it’s okay, she’s friendly.”

The officer exchanged the briefest of courtesies with Babs’ before explaining the whole situation and answering a string of questions. Finally, Peggy reassured Bab’s that Lola was okay and she could come up to the hospital when convenient.

The thought of medical costs tore through Babs’s mind as she wondered who was going to pay. She hoped that Lola had taken out adequate car insurance. These thoughts precipitated her next question.

“Is she a police witness then?”

“Yes. Very much a material one.” Peggy confirmed.

“I was just worried about medical charges.”

“Her insurance is okay; we checked the glove compartment in the dash. The certificate is valid. Her car’s a write off though. A constructive total loss. ”

“Thank god for that!” Bab’s declared quite openly. “The insurance I mean; not the damage to the car. Well it was a bit of an old banger anyway. I’m secretly glad it’s gone.”

“It’ll be okay anyway Mrs Smith. As a police witness, we’ll attend to her medical care. Anyway, she won’t be driving for a while, her hand will be in a moulded metal splint until the tendons have healed.”

After sorting out arrangements to exit the court and visit her adopted daughter, Babs’ slipped discreetly back into the court-room to explain to the girls where she was going. Later outside, a police cruiser picked her up and delivered her to the hospital.

ooo000ooo

When Babs’ arrived at the hospital, she had to wait in ‘relative’s’ room and as she sat staring at assorted notices on the walls she reflected that in England they usually waited in the communal waiting area attached to A&E (Accident & Emergency). She wondered if it was better sitting alone in a private room or sharing a public space with the opportunity to talk and share thoughts. Her thoughts were interrupted by a visitor.

“Mrs Smith?”

“That’s me.”

“I’m Peggy McCloud, the officer who brought your daughter in.”

“Have you any news?”

“No more than the desk gave you, except to say the surgeon was confident there would be no permanent damage to the use of her hand but there will be scarring. Quite a bit of skin was torn or sliced out by the glass from the windscreen. He mentioned a possible skin transplant from the inside of her thigh. A small piece but enough to encourage restoration.”

“Did she agree? She’s quite self-conscious about her appearance.”

Peggy squinted questioningly.

“She didn’t seem too concerned when she chose to ram the plane.”

“What! She actually rammed it?”

“Yes; very reckless and very brave.”

Babs’ snorted softly with mirth.

“Well, she’s always been brave, she’s had to be.”

“How so?” Peggy asked; ever the inquisitive police-woman.

“Oh just her life-style. Lots of hurdles and stuff.”

“What about her life-style.”

“Oh, best not talk about it. This is Texas.”

“Meaning?” Peggy replied as her hackles rose ever so slightly.

“Oh nothing. Nothing that should bother you. It’s a bit private.”

“She hasn’t got a criminal record has she? – Back in England I mean.”

“Gosh no! nothing like that. She’s doing very well as a kid. Maths at Cambridge and all that.”

“Yeah, she struck me as a smart kid. You sound very proud of her.”

“I am; very proud of her. One of my successes as you would say.”

They chatted at length until the surgeon returned still in her scrubs.

“Are you her adoptive parent?”

“Yes. Barbara Smith, most call me Babs’.”

“Have you known her long?”

“‘Bout five years.”

“And you know she’s transgendered/”

“Of course I know she’s transgendered. What’s that got to do with anything? She transitioned two years ago at seventeen.”

“Oh. That’s okay then. When I asked her about it she clammed up. I saw the work when I transplanted some skin from high up on her inner thigh to her hand. Whoever did her transition did a neat job.”

“To tell the truth doctor, I’ve never looked. That’s Lola’s concern.”

As she turned to take a coffee from the dispenser, Babs’ caught Peggy’s surprised look and took a defensive attitude.
.
“So! Lola’s transgendered, so what?”

“Nothing.” Peggy protested. “There’s no need to be defensive. Is this what you meant when you spoke about ‘ -this being Texas-‘?

Babs’ shrugged and nodded.

“Is that what you think about us?” Peggy charged.

Babs’ nodded again then added. “It’s hard not to.”

The surgeon interrupted as she sensed animosity.

“Lola did seem reticent to talk but I can assure you, we treat all patients equally. She’s a nice girl and we had an interesting chat. She was conscious during the procedure – her choice. Local anaesthesia.”

“Can we go in then?” Babs’ asked.

“Certainly.”

“May I come in with you please?” Peggy requested.

“Why?”

“She might give us some more clues, inadvertently that is. She is our star witness after all.”

“Don’t mention the transgenderism then. She’s a bit defensive about it here in Texas.”

“Things are changing you know.” Peggy protested mildly.

“Yeah – slowly; too slowly for some. Come in with me by all means but don’t mention it unless she mentions it.”

ooo000ooo

As they entered, Lola was sitting up on the bed.

“Hi Nana, hi officer McCloud.”

“Call me Peggy please, I’m here just to check on you, more as a friend than a cop.”

She paused to let Babs’ ask.

“How ’re you feeling girl?”

“Sore. They’re keeping me here overnight then they’ll review tomorrow.”

“How’s the hand?”

“Immobilised.” She lifted her hand to show the moulded splint. “I mustn’t move my fingers for at least a couple of days. -Can’t move them anyway in this thing.”

“Are you okay to give a statement?” Peggy asked.

“I suppose so, is Babs’ allowed to stay?”

“I suppose so, you’re not a hostile witness, - to us at least.”

“Are you happy Nana?”

“If it’s legal, yes. Truth to tell, I’m curious.”

“Uuuhm, it’s confidential Babs’. You can’t tell anybody what you hear.” Peggy cautioned her. “I’ll bring another colleague in as a witness.”

“They’ve got a ward camera.” Lola added, “Up there above the television.”

“Even better.” Peggy explained. “This is as good as an interview suite at the station. We’ll have to wait until my colleague arrives.”

“Coffee then?” Lola suggested.

“Good idea, us ‘mericans run on coffee. I suppose you’ll want tea?”

“Naah. Coffees good, and maybe some biscuits.”

Peggy looked obtusely at Lola as Babs’ explained.

“She means cookies.”

The snacks duly arrived and they chatted amiably until the second police officer arrived. He confirmed that the officer shot in the shoulder was okay and Lola also learned that he was Peggy’s cousin. The relief at this news delivered by the arriving officer served to relax the interview further and the whole procedure was complete by early evening. As the sun was setting, a commotion in the corridor told Babs and Lola that her adopted sisters had arrived with Callie, her Uncle Phil and a pair of armed guards.

“We’re gonna need a bigger boat!” Lola grinned.

ooo000ooo

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Having lived in Texas

"Things are changing" is very much relative. It's like having a serial killer tell you, "I'm gonna burn this house to the ground with you in it to destroy all the evidence but don't worry about burning to death. I'll shoot you before I leave and that will probably kill you before the fire gets to this part of the house." Mind you, I'd much rather die from a gunshot than burn to death, but if given a chance I'd pass on either option.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Oklahoma....Sorry! Texas!

joannebarbarella's picture

Damn it. They're all the same. Things are changing for TG kids in Texas! Yeah....back to the way things were in Nazi Germany.

Babs may be charged with a felony for allowing her kids to have blockers administered to them and the kids can be removed from her custody because she is an abusive parent.

It never hurts

To have friends in law enforcement.