Babs' New Year's Resolution 68

Printer-friendly version

Babs’ New Year’s Resolution 68 © Beverly Taff Feb 2021

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter. (Excellent Artist.)
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Lola’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.
Susan Harvey Prosecution counsel advocating for Erica in court.

Chapter 68

For the remainder of the week Erica had to sit through the other hearings as the other girls gave their various and sometimes equally horrific testimonies. Initially after the next prosecution witness was put up, Erica asked Susan if she could be relieved of the irksome task of sitting through every piece of evidence. Susan was to disappoint her.

“I’m sorry Erica, but there may be events and other instances that, when revealed or reported by any of the other witnesses, they may jog your memory of some other importance jewel of information.”

“Shit Sue, I’d have thought I’ve told them enough by now.”

“Two problems girl,” Susan lamented.

One, your memory has been shot to hell by your crack addiction, and –

Two, your memory might be jogged by other testimony, especially by girls you’ve met on the way here.

That’s why the judges had requested that you remain as you might be called upon to confirm some detail or, because of your confirmed memory problem associated with your addiction; the Judges are entitled to call you back. Sorry Erica, but it’s the long haul for you. You’re just too valuable a witness.

Erica slumped back in her chair.

‘Would there ever be an end?’ She wondered.

Susan recognised Erica’s mood and suggested an evening out .

“Do you fancy a meal tonight? You alone or with the rest of the girls.”

“I can face you but not a whole crowd. I’m not the best of company right now, besides; I’ve started my medication for my HIV. I don’t suppose the girls’ ll be best impressed when I line up the pills on the table; crack addiction, HIV, depression; you name it. Before meals and that.”

“Very well then. Just you and me and nothing about the case.”

“Wouldn’t that be nice.” Erica intoned softly.

“I think it would.” Susan replied. “Be ready for nineteen hundred.”

“Will it be a posh place?” Erica asked. “You know, do I wear a gown?”

“Have you got a gown? With you I mean, here in the hotel?”

“No. I wish! - Girls like me don’t get to wear gowns.”

“There can always be a first time babes.”

“Well, not tonight Josephine. A meal, yeah; but going to the ball? I don’t think so.”

“I can still treat you to a nice meal in the best restaurant in Frankfurt.”

“Yeah. Okay then, seven o’clock. I’ll let Babs know just in case the others worry.”

“I’ll tell Babs’, I want to speak to her anyway.”

“Okay. See you later, I’m going to take a nap, this bloody witness stuff gets to you.”

ooo000ooo

At nineteen hundred, Erica met Susan in the hotel foyer and soon they were walking through the large double doors of a large restaurant. The maître de led them to their pre-booked table in a discreet corner where Erica felt she would not be noticed. She was still painfully alert to the risk of kidnap. As they were taking their places, Erica realised heads were turning and she asked Susan nervously.

“Why are they looking/”

“Can you not work it out?”

“No-oo.”

“You’re an attractive girl Erica.”

“Huh! You’ve gorra’ be joking. Who’d want an infectious HIV-whore?”

“They don’t know that Erica, all they see is a very pretty young lady.”

“Can I sit in your seat? Less people will see me but I can still check out the floor.”

“Sure it you want.”

They rearranged their seats as the wine arrived and soon they were savouring the excellent meal. Then Susan noticed Erica’s face cloud over.

“What’s wrong?”

“Look who’s just come in.”

“I can’t see without making it obvious.”

“It’s some of the judges, no it’s all of the judges and that police superintendent who I went hiking with.”

“Well then you’re safe aren’t you? So stop worrying.”

“Oh no!”

“What’s wrong now?”

“The inspector’s got his family; and some of his team.”

“So, stop worrying.”

“Won’t this compromise the case, me being seen in the same café as the judges?”

“No.”

Despite Susan’s reassurance, Erica was becoming nervous.

“Can we go somewhere else?”

“No. We’ve ordered the food now and we’re eating it for heaven’s sake. Stop worrying!”

“I’m not comfortable, ple-ease.”

“Tsk. I’ll speak to the maître-de.”

Susan signalled to their waiter and spoke some German that Erica did not understand. Then, while the judge’s party was getting settled and arranging seats, the waiter produced a screen and slipped it in front of Susan’s table. Now invisible to the rest of the restaurant, Erica visibly relaxed. It was the first time Susan had ever seen her smile and the realisation shocked her.

“Thanks.” Erica responded in a small tight voice as she stopped toying with her food and took her first substantial bite.

“D’ you know; you’ve got a really attractive smile. You should do it more often.”

The smile disappeared immediately.

“What? And attract trouble.”

“Not all people are bad Erica.”

For a reply Susan simply got a jaundiced frown and a cynical curl of Erica’s lip. The unspoken message was clear, in Erica’s world every unsolicited interest was a threat. Erica changed the subject to deflect the hurt.

“This meat is nice, what is it?”

“Sauerbraten. It’s a popular traditional dish.”

“Can I have some more - - - please?” Erica remembered to add.

Susan had to stand to look over the screen and attract the waiters attention. He came promptly with a concerned look but when Susan explained that her guest wanted a repeat his smile broadened.

“You like our food Miss?”

Erica just nodded and Susan watched as Erica’s earlier smile tightened to a nervous grimace. It was painfully obvious that Erica’s psychological damage ran deep. She was almost paralyzed around adult men. Once the second serving of Sauerbraten arrived, Erica’s smile slowly returned and they resumed enjoying the food and the long chat.

Soon, all too soon for Susan, Erica looked at her watch and declared she had agreed to return to the hotel by ten.

“You’re not a prisoner Erica. I can phone the girls and tell them we’ll be late.”

“Are you sure, what about your family?”

“I don’t have family, at least; not here in Germany. We can stay here longer if you wish and enjoy another bottle of wine.

“I can’t drink too much, the drugs for my Crack habit, you know; the antidepressants.”

“Sorry girl. Dammit, I forgot. Don’t you need to take your HIV medications with food as well?”

“I’ll do that in the loo, not here at the table. The waiter’s gay and he’ll know what I’m taking.”

“You’re behind a screen Erica, no-one can see.”

“I need a wee anyway.”

“Do you need me to come?”

“Yes please. I don’t fancy running the gauntlet past those judges and other people. Especially Hans, the superintendent's son.”

“They’re not monsters Erica.”

“Still, I’d feel happier. If I went past them alone, they’d probably think I was out with a man or a gang-member or something. They’d want to know how I could afford to be in this restaurant.”

“Okay girl, let’s go.”

Erica had already mentally plotted her route and they were well clear of the screen before they were noticed emerging from behind a pillar. The conversation at the judges table fell silent while Erica could not help noticing the Superintendent's son Hans as recognition lit his face. Erica felt a huge wave of emotion fill her breast and she almost stumbled in her effort to run and hide in the loo.

As she closed her cubicle door and locked it, she heard Susan’s heels come hurrying in as she tested all the doors. Eventually she found Erica’s locked cubicle and whispered urgently.

“What’s wrong, was it the boy?”

“Yes.” Came a choked sob from behind the door.

Ever insightful, Susan spoke softly.

“You still love him don’t you?”

“S- So what?” Came a broken reply.

“There’s no need to be afraid of him.”

“I’m not, I just can’t face him. I don’t want to hurt him, - with the, the truth.”

“He doesn’t know does he?”

“No, unless one of those judges at the table might have mentioned it. You know how people love to gossip.”

“I don’t think the judges would ‘gossip’ about a thing like that.”

“Well even if they don’t, he’s bound to find out. His dad’s the copper running this case and coppers are even worse bull-shitters. I’ll bet my HIV news is all around every police canteen in Germany.”

“Yes. But if it is, they’ll know why. They know you’re a victim.”

“Ye-eaah! That’s me,- a fucking victim!”

Susan realised she might have said the wrong thing and she rushed to repair the damage.

“Look darling while you repair your makeup, d’ you want me to talk to the boy, to explain things.”

“What good will that do?”

“I’ll explain your behaviour to him. It means that whatever else is wrong, he’ll know why you snubbed him and he will have to deal with it in his own way. At least he can’t be angry with you.”

There was a long silence interspersed with sniffs then finally the cubicle door opened.

“I need more tissues.”

“They’re over there in the dispenser.”

Susan pulled a dozen sheets and they set to work repairing Erica’s face as they chatted.

“If you break the ice, I’ll try and tell him myself.”

“You’re being brave darling, are you up to it?”

“I Think so. I’ll forego the makeup we’re going home after this anyway.”

Susan shrugged supportively and smiled.

“He’ll see you’ve been crying anyway, that will prove a point.”

“Yeah. At least it won’t be a mask.”

They cleaned the rest of Erica’s makeup of and she took a long deep breath before following Susan out of the door.

ooo000ooo

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Poor Girl

joannebarbarella's picture

All that trauma, and torn by her feelings for the policeman's son.

Hopes

That all of this can quickly be behind Erica and the other young ladies can see an ending to this part of the nightmare. Thank you Beverly for continuing this one.

Barb

Barb

It snuck up on me

Now I have to wait with everyone else for the next chapter, thank you for continuing this wonderful but tragic story.

It snuck up on me

Now I have to wait with everyone else for the next chapter, thank you for continuing this wonderful but tragic story. Grr, got an error message and ended up double posting.

Tons of counseling

Jamie Lee's picture

Erica will need tons of counseling before she ever starts to 'get' over what she was put through. If she ever 'gets' over it.

Those animals have ruined her trust in not only herself but men in general, even men who only want to help her or only to be her friend. Even the women involved have helped create Erica problems.

Those animals blame Erica for getting caught, never once accepting the wrong they did. Those animals, can't call them humans or people, treated those girls like paper towels. They used the girls casually and threw the girls away when they were done with them.

Prison is too good for those animals, they'd be living while other girls are dead. Executions are too swift, they need to suffer for what they've done.

Others have feelings too.

Telling the truth

Can be the hardest thing someone has to do sometimes.