Babs' New Year's Resolution 59

Printer-friendly version

Babs' New Year’s Resolution 59

©Beverly Taff 23rd April 2020

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter.
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Bab’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull

Chapter 59.

“Right is everybody in?” Callie asked what had by now become a traditional group joke.

A feeble “Nobody’s missing!” emitted from somewhere deep in the minibus.”

“Has anybody seen nobody?” Callie continued the farce.
“Nobody’s staying home alone.” Came the ‘feeble voice from within.

“Well. We’ll have to go without nobody then.”

“Grammar Callie.” Ellie chuckled. “We didn’t send you to an expensive school to make grammatical torts like that.”

“Very well Mummy, we’ll leave nobody behind.”

“That’s better; now drive.”

The brief interlude of comedy served to lighten the mood and reduce tensions as the minibus scrunched across the gravel of the main forecourt. Soon they had cleared the decorative gates as they picked their way onto the lane that led to the main road. Once on the main road their speed picked up until the came to the approaches to Hull.
Firstly the morning ‘rush-hour’ traffic slowed them down then as they came to the Humber estuary the damp persistent drizzle gave way to a North Sea fog that gave everything an eerie shadowy appearance.

“Will this fog hold up the ship Aunty Bev?” Callie asked.

Beverly had her lap-top open and was studying the traffic monitoring system. After a brief pause the ship’s GDMS identifier appeared and Beverly was able to make a brief calculation from her indicated speed.

“She’ll be about an hour late depending on this cluster of traffic around the Spern point. Depends on what priority they give her. There’s a big ore carrier in-bound but traffic control might instruct her to anchor to await better visibility. We’ll just have to wait and see how things pan out. Just take me to the cargo office then you’ve got the morning to yourselves.”

Callie nodded and changed lane to pick up the approach to the port main-gate. Within minutes, Beverly was entering the office and Callie was off delivering the girls into town. The shipping office was livening up as preparations were in hand for the ship’s arrival.

“Where’s Miss Smith?” Beverly asked the senior despatcher.

“She’s gone out onto the quay to sort out the container cranes. Number one crane is under maintenance so we’ll be using two and three. The ship will be berthing half way between one and two berths so that number two crane can substitute for one and number three crane can be used for the discharge only.”
Beverly nodded her acceptance of the alternative arrangements and decided to make a cup of coffee before venturing out into the damp fog. After signing some authorities and finishing her coffee, she donned her PPE and stepped out into the damp air. After picking her way along the strictly designated walkway; she spotted Wendy huddled by the foot of the immobilised number one crane and staring morosely at the maintenance gang as they worked in the rain.
Keeping a keen eye for traffic that had to avoid the landed container spreader and disconnected wires, she joined her operations manager.

Wendy turned and smiled a grimace at the cold and damp.

“Nice day for it Bev.”

“Typical Yorkshire. I wouldn’t expect out else. She should be in sight soon by my reckoning.”

“Thirty minutes provided this fog doesn’t thicken.” Wendy confirmed as she tapped her radio set to the port control channel.”

Beverly nodded her head discreetly to invite Wendy out of earshot from the engineer and his repair gang. Wendy nodded and stepped aside to follow her. At the other end of the bottom bogie frame she addressed Wendy.

“Have you thought any more about what we discussed last night?”

“Yes, a lot.”

“Are you still okay about it?”

“I’m not sure. I’m nervous, and angry, and confused but somehow excited; does that make sense?”

“Yes. So how d’ you want to play it?”

“I’d prefer it to be just you, me and this Bab’s you’ve mentioned. I’m not sure I want the girl - what’s her name; Lola, - involved in the first meeting. There’s no knowing what might ensue. I mean, we could end up having a blazing row or something, there’s a lot of stuff gone under the bridge from where I’m standing and most of it is anger.”

“Lola still wants to see you again. She’s really keen and she’s here with us in Hull. She’s also had to sort her feelings out. I don’t suppose it’s easy for any of you. She definitely wants to see you.”

“As I do her but a double billing has too many imponderables. Later perhaps when we have dinner maybe.”

“I’m afraid there’ll be a bit of a crowd for dinner. What we could do is go for a light lunch and meet Bab’s to talk to while we eat. Then I’ll invite Lola to join us for afternoon tea. If everything works out to some sort of workable conclusion, I’ll call the rest to join us for dinner. If it doesn’t work, you can leave if you’re uncomfortable. Lola particularly want’s meet her young sisters.”

Wendy gave a soft, nervous smile as she nodded uncertainly.

“That could work. The two of them could come to mine and meet the girls. That’s IF things work out. But; if either Lola or this Bab’s person show anger or annoyance or aggression, I’m out of there immediately. None of this mess was my fault.”

“Nor was it Lola’s Wendy. Bab’s might have some responsibility for it but that’s what we’re here to discuss and hopefully sort out.”
They chatted at length for a while until Wendy paused and stared into the fog.

“Aah, here she is, sticking her nose through the fog,” Wendy observed as though using the approaching ship to change the subject.

Beverly could easily see that Wendy was wracked with nerves and guilt despite claiming it was ‘not her fault’. She decided to follow Wendy’s lead and discuss the ship. They talked ‘ships and shipping’ until the ship docked then they boarded to greet Beverly’s old friend Jesse the captain. After all the formalities were completed, Beverly and Wendy went into town where they arranged to meet Bab’s. It was to be Beverly’s regular restaurant where she and Wendy were well known.

They were seated in a quiet alcove seat where they could not be overheard or overlooked when the door-bell tinkled and a tallish grey-haired lady paused hesitantly in the doorway. Beverly stood up to catch Bab’s eye then waved her over as Wendy stood up slightly stiffly. As Bab’s approached Wendy extended a cautious hand with only a trace of a smile that did little to hide her nerves. Before they were able to shake hands both Wendy and Bab’s froze with uncertainty and Beverly found herself forced to make the introductions.

“Barbara, this is Wendy and I have every reason to believe she is your daughter.”

Even this effort failed to relieve the nervous tension as both women continued looking at each other, for each had seen a likeness in the other that had given them cause to hesitate with both hope and uncertain fear.

“Aren’t you going to shake hands?” Beverly almost pleaded.

The impassioned tone in Beverly’s voice finally broke through to both women and they finally managed to clasp the other’s hand. Beverly let out a sigh of relief that caused both Bab’s and Wendy to escape from their trance. It was Bab’s who managed to find her voice first.

“My daughter?” She whispered huskily. “Wendy.”

“Yes, and you’re my Dad; Or should I say mother?”

“No, I’m your dad. My life’s pathway does not change that.”

“But you’re a woman now.”

“Some might say that but I call myself transgendered – more importantly, I call myself Bab’s.”

“D’ you want me to call you Bab’s or Daddy?”

“Your choice darling, it’s your right to decide.”

The first small tear glistened in Wendy’s eye as she struggled to decide.

“I’ve never had a father; can I call you daddy.”

“Yes. Of course. That's what I am!”

And that simple consensual answer broke the dam. Both women threw their arms around each other and hugged with such force as to crush all tension out. Once again, Beverly had to motion to her friend Peter the restaurateur to wait as tears began to flow, and once again Peter came up trumps as he deftly slid a light bamboo screen to give Bab’s and Wendy total privacy.

“Thanks Pete. We’re just having a very light lunch for now. I’ll be back and forth today.”

Peter nodded and adjusted the screen so he alone could see Beverly from his pay-station by the door. Thus Bab’s and Wendy were given total privacy to sort their needs. To this end, Beverly slid her chair back to allow them that Privacy while she sipped a cup of coffee with Peter before the lunch-time rush got started. It was fully five minutes before Bab’s and her daughter released each other from their embrace.

ooo000ooo

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sperm point

Hi Bev, its Spern Point, my old stomping ground that

Oops!

A freudian slip perhaps. LOL I'll get to it ASAP!

bev_1.jpg

not that even

Maddy Bell's picture

Its actually Spurn Point - bloody sutherners!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Manuel! Manuel!

Is-sa no-a mee. I-a know notheeng, I-a from Galle!

bev_1.jpg

Reconciled

joannebarbarella's picture

Worth the wait.

Touching

Yes, the touching was touching. I expected no less. Thanks for all you do.

Cheryl pinkwestch

Touching

Yes, the touching was touching. I expected no less. Thanks for all you do.

Cheryl pinkwestch

So far so good

Life is definitely better with family.