Babs' New Year's Resolution 89

Printer-friendly version

Babs' New Year’s Resolution 89

© Beverly Guinevere Taff

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter. Lesbian black artist
Angela Smith Bab’s adopted daughter Olivia’s lover
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Lola’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull
Louisa Wendy’s Daughter
Griselda & Mia Wendy’s younger twin daughters.
Susan Harvey Prosecution counsel advocating for Erica in court.
Han’s The policeman’s son Erica fancies
Uncle Phillip CIA Agent.
Emily Jackson. Texan girl Kidnapped to Holland & Turkey
Sandra Jackson Sister to Emily kidnapped in Texas as a hostage.

Chapter 89

The separation of both the Texan girls from the British girls comprised hugs and tears before the group separated reluctantly at the departure gate. Emily and Sandra stood watching enviously as Barbara and her expanding brood disappeared behind the door. There was a last brief flurry of waves and then they were gone.

In the departure lounge the girls gathered at the large window to look at their plane then their seat block was called first and they herded down the boarding ramp to embark the ‘red-eye’ back to London.

Fortunately, the plane was not full and once they took off, the girls discovered they had a completely empty row of rear seats next to theirs. They quickly availed themselves of the luxury before other passengers realised there was space.

“There was a cancellation at short notice,” the stewardess advised. “Usually nobody want’s rear seats being next to the lavatories and suchlike so fill your boots girls.”

Within an hour, the girls were stretched along the extra seats and fast asleep. Their hectic time in Texas had taken its toll. They arrived in Gatwick relatively fresh and were met by their erstwhile guardian
Sergeant Bridie. Within two hours, they were approaching Gloucester and eventually the last leg down to Canal Cottage.

“It’s still a safe house then?” Bab’s checked.

Bridie nodded. “Since they learned you were in Texas, your British trail went cold to the gangs and they stopped looking for you over here; at least as far as our intelligence shows.

If you stand up to them eventually the wheels of the law grind them down.”

“We hope,” Erica added. “By the way who’s been looking after the cats?”

“I have.” Bridie explained. “We’ve still had to keep an eye on the cottage.”

“I hope the heat is on.” Erica observed as she shivered in the autumnal chill at a service station.

Bridie nodded assurance, “My brother stayed there last night, so everything should be okay. We could stop over at a supermarket and stock up before we arrive. I suppose he’ll only have enough for himself.”

This was agreed and by the evening Babs and the four girls were contentedly sharing dinner with their two regular guards Sergeant Bridie Davies and her brother Sergeant Brian.

That night Lola was just getting to sleep when there was a familiar disturbance. Erica still had issues sleeping alone and she had crept into Lola’s bed just for companionship. Lola reached over and rested her arm lazily across Erica’s shoulders and whispered.

“You won’t be able to do this when Belinda comes over.

“I’ll sleep with Babs then.”

“D’ you think you’ll ever get over the horrors?”

“The doctors think I should, but what do they know?”

With these words, Lola pressed slightly closer to Erica; close enough to reassure her but not too tight or intimate as to generate fear. Thus reassured, Erica finally fell asleep and Lola eventually followed suit. It was Babs who found them thus embraced in the morning and she let them lie while Olivia and Angela went walking through the frosty woods.

When they returned, they found Lola and sergeant Bridie preparing to visit Lola’s girlfriend Belinda in Cheltenham. They made their feelings known very quickly and joined her as far as Cheltenham town centre.

When they all returned to Canal Cottage, Barbara and Inspector John were waiting for them with an email from Texas.

Barbara explained.

“There’s been another attempt to kill or kidnap Sandra and Emily in Texas, we’ve had a request to provide a safe house in the UK.”

“I thought the case was over in Texas. All the gang were rounded up.”

“Not quite, so much evidence has come to light, there’s a fair certainty of a successful prosecution in Mexico; and even possibly another in Guatemala. There’s another branch of the gang seeking to eliminate witnesses. This octopus has many tentacles.”

“If it’s got more than eight, it isn’t an octopus,” Erica quipped, trying to lighten the mood but nobody responded.

Lola sighed dispiritedly; “Oooh shit! Will this business ever end?”

ooo000ooo

“In an attempt to re-create a sense of community again, Bab’s and Inspector John had prepared a full dinner for the girls. It was not so much to fill their ever-empty teen-aged bellies but to get the girls around the table and talking constructively about the two Texan girls coming to stay.”

“It should be alright during the autumn and winter season, because the only people coming down to the canal will be regulars and they are all aware of our ‘family’ living here. The greater danger is spring and summer if holiday-boaters recognise anybody.” Inspector John advised. “Hopefully by spring, the cross-ponder police will have prepared a case and have rounded up a lot more sex-traffickers. They might even have smashed this particular gang.”

“If they do locate us; what then.”

“I’ve been in touch with Yorkshire police and your friends in Denton.”

“Oh my god!” Lola chuckled. “That’ll put the Texan’s noses out of joint; well the house will if not the fields.”

“Hopefully, it won’t come to that,” Sergeant Bridie opined as Barbara served up the soup.”

There was a temporary lull in the conversation as teenaged mouths sated teenaged appetites. Then the conversation erupted again before the main course arrived. A similar pattern of discourse ensued for the remainder of the evening, and it was very late when everybody was finally abed.

At dawn, Lola was up long before the other girls and she crept downstairs to find Babs already sat in her favourite kitchen chair savouring her coffee before the morning hurly-burly. She made herself some cereal and coffee while refilling Babs’s mug then settled opposite the old lady she had come to love with every bone in her body.

“Please can I borrow the land-rover Nana, to go and visit Belinda?”

“You could run the girls into Cheltenham as well. It’ll save me an early journey.”

“What are your plans for today?”

“Well if those Texan girls are to stay here, I’ve got to go to Gloucester and buy some extra bedding. There’s space enough and beds enough; just - but I’ll be short of linen. Sergeant Bridie will go with me and Inspector John will hold the fort here.”

“It’s costing the police a fortune to keep us here isn’t it?”

“Not really darling, the terrorist unit is more than grateful for the evidence you guys have served up. The Federal authorities in the States are paying for Emily and Sandra and this new attempt on their lives has thrown open a whole new avenue of investigation. This particular can of worms has turned into a veritable dumpster truck of worms.

Inspector John tells me once this new branch of the gang is dug out, your case should be wrapped up. So far the arrests have exceeded a hundred.”

“Okay, I’d better wake those sleeping beauties up, I’m meeting Belinda at ten.”

Bab’s smiled and made to get up but Lola was quick to intervene.

“Rest your legs a little longer Nan, I’ll get their breakfasts.”

“Thank you darling,” Bab’s smiled even as steps on the stairs presaged another arrival.

Soon the breakfast table was alive with chat as plans were made. Then as suddenly as they had descended on the kitchen, the girls were dressed and gone. Peace returned and Bab’s smiled contentedly as she settled back into her kitchen chair by the stove.

In Cheltenham, Lola first picked up her girlfriend Belinda at her parents large house and soon the five girls were savouring a days’ shopping.

“Will you be coming back to ours?” Erica asked Belinda as they loaded the Land rover with shopping.

Belinda nodded and Erica sighed a little.

“That means I’ll be sharing with Babs.”

“But you’ve got your own bedroom haven’t you?” Belinda reminded her.

“Yeah; but; shit happens sometimes.”

“She gets flashbacks.” Lola explained. “Sometimes she sneaks into my bed and sometimes she goes to Babs.”

Belinda fell silent then asked.

“I won’t be intruding will I?”

“Of course not,” Lola explained, “the house is like Piccadilly anyway with the four of us, Bab’s and the police guard. Besides, Bab’s is looking forward to seeing you again.”

As Lola spoke her phone beeped and after a brief conversation she replied.

“No problem Nana. We’ll be there in about an hour.”

“Whassat?” Olivia asked.

“Nan’s in Gloucester, she needs help with the shopping. It’s bedding for the Texans.”

“Why didn’t she come with us to Cheltenham it would have been much easier for her.” Angela opined.

“She had other business as well I think. There were papers on the bureau in the living room when I got up this morning.”

“Let’s get going,” Erica urged. “Nan can’t be lifting heavy shopping around on her own.”

Belinda was silently impressed. All four of the ‘Canal Cottage’ girls had shown concern for the old lady.

“That old lady has really worked her magic on you girls hasn’t she.”

“Yeah! An’ we’ve got her back. Come on, let’s not be dawdling.” Erica stood.

The others got the message and hurriedly tipped back their drinks then grabbed their shopping. They found Bab’s sitting in her favourite café chatting to her regular friends and surrounded by shopping. Lola recognised the women as Bab’s old bridge circle and they quickly acquainted each other as Bab’s called the waitress over.

“I suppose you’re all hungry.”

There was no question and soon the girls were sitting at a separate table while Babs and her older friends chatted. After eating, the girls followed Babs to the collection point and the shopping was quickly loaded into both Bab’s little car and the Land Rover.

“Are you coming home now or later?” Babs asked.”

“We’ll help you unpack then can we go clubbing in Bristol?”

“You’re still under eighteen, well some of you.”

“There’s a new place down by the feeder canal. It’s got a section reserved for fifteen and over and it’s alcohol free.”

“Okay, but Lola, you look after them, don’t let me down and back by one.”

ooo000ooo

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"clubbing in Bristol" are you

leeanna19's picture

"clubbing in Bristol" are you going to do some more "field" research for your story Bev?

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Research?

Not so much 'Field Research' these days Leeanna, more like Archeology.

bev_1.jpg

Don't believe a word of that,

leeanna19's picture

Don't believe a word of that, there's life in the old Bev yet!

Have a great Christmas Bev xx

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

That house

Has got to be getting very very crowded.