Babs' New Year's Resolution 56

Printer-friendly version

Babs' New Year’s Resolution 56

©Beverly Taff April 2020

List of Characters.

Lola Smith Bab’s adopted trans daughter.
Callista Denton (Callie). Transgendered Duchess of Denton.
Margaret Denton (Maggie). Callie’s wife.
Molly Denton Callie’s grandmother
Ellie Denton Callie’s mother.
Bab’s Barbara Smith. Lola’s adoptive ‘Nana’
Olivia Smith Bab’s adopted daughter.
Angela Smith Bab’s newly adopted daughter
Erica Bab’s foster daughter.
Sergeant Bridie Davies Lady Police detective protecting the girls.
Sergeant Brian Davies. Bridie’s twin brother.
Inspector John, Heading up the anti-rape-gang operation.
Gareth Jenkins, Police office trained in firearms and protection.
Belinda Harrington Bab’s university girlfriend.
Aaron Talbot Surgical registrar – married to –
Shirley Talbot Lecturer at Local university.
Mickey Talbot Aaron and Shirley’s oldest son.
Jessica Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s middle daughter.
Bianca Talbot Aaron & Shirley’s youngest daughter.
Henry Denton Callie’s only son.
Charlotte Denton Callie’s only daughter.
Beverly Callie’s maternal great aunt (Ellie’s paternal aunt)
Wendy Smith Beverly’s Operations Manager for Hull

Chapter 56.

As the last whine of Callie’s Helicopter engines became silent, Sergeant Bridie stepped out of a nondescript green hangar and motioned to the passengers to shelter from the rain. Erica and Lola naturally hurried across the soaking tarmac but Henry, ever curious, loitered briefly to stare at the military hardware parked around their own chopper. As the girls reached the shelter of the Hangar, Callie scolded her son.

“Hurry up boy! You’ll get soaked – well you are soaked! Go on! Get into the hangar!”
“Look mummy! Those are apache gunship attack choppers!”

“Never mind the military kit get inside. I’ll be with you in a minute!”

She turned to attend to her own chopper then turned around a couple of minutes later only to find Henry still staring at the Apaches. The water was literally dripping off his hair. Angrily, she grabbed his arm and dragged him with her to join Lola, Erica and Sergeant Bridie, who were still grinning at mother and soaking child as they gained the shelter of the hangar. Callie looked up exasperated.

“Boys! Honestly. He’ll catch his bloody death at this rate.”

“He can ride in my car.” Inspector John observed as he arrived with an SAS officer. “The back seat’s got a dog blanket so he’ll not soak the seats.”

“Where are we putting them tonight sir?” Bridie asked inspector John.

“You’ll be staying on the base tonight. The less you’re seen the less you’re noticed.” The SAS officer explained. “You can be on your way again first light.”

Bridie turned to the girls and shrugged.

“Hope you brought your toothbrushes.”

“We’ll manage.” Erica replied. “I’ve slept in worse places. Just make sure Callie gets some sleep, she’s doing the driving.”

“We do have a lady’s section,” the officer explained. “Follow me.”

ooo000ooo

They arrived at small block with high windows and two heavily armoured doors.

“Bloody hell!” Giggled Erica, “It’s like a miniature prison block.”

“Yes, but you’ll be safe. Nobody can see in.” The officer observed.

“Good point,” Callie agreed.

“It’s fairly basic as you can see but all the necessities are there. I’ll leave you to sort yourselves out. It’s bit late for dinner but I’ll speak to the night duty cook. He can knock you up something edible.”

At the mention of food, all of them felt pangs of hunger and they were soon sat in the officer’s mess tucking into some tasty nourishment. Later they briefly visited the lounge then soon headed for bed. Sleep overtook them quickly.

At breakfast, Sergeant Bridie checked in with the hospital and enlightened the others.

“Fortunately, it was just a large fragment that must have ricocheted off the bucket of the JCB in the barn. That’s why it didn’t exit. The wound was fortunately all tissue damage, no nerves or bones or ligaments damaged.”

“That’s a bloody good outcome for a shoulder wound.” The same accompanying officer remarked. There’s a lot going on around the shoulder, tendons, bones, ligaments, nerves etcetera. And a fragment is often worse than a clean bullet penetration. You old Nan was lucky girls.”

“Can we go and see her?” Lola asked Bridie.

The sergeant checked with the hospital and smiled.

“Yes.”

“We’d best go in a plain car. The chopper will attract attention.” Callie suggested and it was unanimously agreed.

At Bab’s bed-side they sat in a quiet horse-shoe as the surgeon described the wound and Babs just smiled weakly.

“It’s going to take a long time to heal Mrs Smith,” the surgeon cautioned Bab’s There’s a lot of soft tissue damage to your muscles and it just nicked your pleura. Fortunately, it lodged between the ribs and did not penetrate into the pleural cavity. That’s why you were frothing a little blood when you came in. All fixed now though but absolutely no exertions that quicken your breath.”

“Bab’s nodded weakly and winced as she tried to sit up and get more comfortable.”

“None of that Mrs Smith! No upper-body exertions at all!”

As he spoke, he carefully lifted Bab’s backwards up the pillows and explained the procedure.

“Do not grab her arms or shoulders when you lift her. Take your time and collectively support her back, buttocks and head. -That’s it sergeant Good, I’ll leave you to chat but don’t tire her out. Sleep is the best cure for injuries, especially muscle damage.

As the surgeon left, the group gathered in closer while electing Lola to ask all the questions.

There were not many questions, Bab’s had been standing by Henry while Erica was being held by one of the gang in readiness for some sort of break out. When the police had tried to negotiate the gang in desperation, had simply charged out of the door while firing wildly and holding Erica and Bab’s as a shield. They had left Henry behind a stack of hay bales then erupted out of the double barn doors while huddled tight behind the two women.

As they fired wildly spreading out their fire, the police had ducked for cover before responding as best they could without hitting the girls. They had managed to kill one and wound a second before the third kidnapper managed to duck around another farm building while clasping Erica close to him. Bab’s had been wounded in the charge as a stray bullet had struck a JCB Back-hoe blade then splintered and ricocheted into Bab’s. As she collapsed, the third kidnapper had escaped with Erica.

After pausing behind the barn, he had then made a dash for the hedge while still dragging Erica. It was at that point he had spotted Callie’s helicopter. From that juncture, Lola and Callie knew the story.

With the facts established, the girls could see Bab’s beginning to tire so they made their farewells with a promise to visit. In the hospital canteen, Bridie explained that the police were organising an identity parade so Olivia and Angela were also being brought down from Denton Hall in Yorkshire.

The following morning two very relieved girls were pleased to see Bab’s lying comfortably in her hospital bed before the attended the identity parade. Luckily, they managed to identify the man the police had wounded but they could not identify either of the dead kidnappers. The one that the police sniper had shot through the ear was utterly unrecognisable anyway.

Olivier was able to place the wounded survivor at several different crime scenes, while Angie also nailed him for a lot more. He had finally been identified as a Mexican drug-baron’s hit-man and this had affirmed the transatlantic human trafficking connection as well as the drug line. The FBI where overjoyed at the development.

Erica’s evidence was of course, prima-facia and it was thoroughly delighted police force that treated the girls to a celebration that night.

A couple of days later with Bab’s truly on the mend, the group returned to Denton hall and a much anticipated hero’s welcome.

That following Saturday, Beverly drove up from Poole in Dorset to Denton and Lola was champing at the bit to reveal her news about Wendy, Beverly’s operations manager at the Hull shipping terminal.

“Are you going into Hull today?” Lola asked.

“No, it’s been a long drive with all the traffic jams. I’m going in tomorrow, d’ you want to come.”

“Yes please but before we do anything, I’ve got some important news.”

“What? Now, or can it wait until tomorrow?”

“Best we sort it now before we go to dinner.”

Beverly’s eyebrows lifted with curiosity.

“This sounds as though it will be good.

“I want to tell Wendy that Babs is her father and that Bab’s is my grandfather.”

“Well don’t let me stop you.”

“Will you be there when I tell Bab’s tonight.”

“Is she up to it? What a bullet in her shoulder and all?”

“Well I think somebody should be with us. If Bab’s takes it badly she might think I’m making trouble.”

“Are you?” Beverly asked bluntly to test Lola’s motive.”

“No-oo!!” Lola wailed. “No-oo! It’s just important for me. I mean, finding my mother out of the blue – that’s mind boggling! I’ve had no family all my life then I find my Grandfather is my adoptive mother and then a year or three later I find my real mum. I mean how do I sort this? Do I run it by Bab’s first?”

“I think it best you do, and in private, not at the dinner table in front of everybody! It’ll give Bab’s a chance to get her head around it.”

“How about tomorrow morning, in the car, on the way to hull?”

“No.” Beverly countered firmly. “Best we do it tonight and give Bab’s a chance to sort her head out. Has she ever spoken to you about her daughter?”

“Only to say she’s never ever seen her. What Wendy said was true on that score, when Bab’s came out as transvestite, Wendy’s mother’s family made sure Bab’s never saw Wendy’s mother again, or baby Wendy when she was born. Bab’s isn’t even on Wendy’s birth certificate so she couldn’t go searching.

Then Bab’s later realised she was transgendered and she lost all hope of ever finding Wendy.”

“What if Bab’s cant face it or refuses to see Wendy?”

“I don’t care, but I want them at least to know. You’ve told me your story about losing all family connections, you must understand what it means!”

“Oh I do Lola. Truly I do! But I also know how painful family stuff can be, We’ll sound Bab’s out tonight, after dinner, in private.”

Lola nodded and sniffed as she struggled contain her feelings. Beverly gave her a hug to reassure her.

“Tonight darling, in my bedroom where it’s neutral territory.”

ooo000ooo

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fast and furious

The new chapters come. Thanks Bev for continuing the story.
Barb

Barb

I'm Betting

joannebarbarella's picture

Babs will be delighted.

Better?

This story has more twists than an Arkansas mountain road. I love those roads.

Cheryl pinkwestch