Switcher

Printer-friendly version

 

Switcher
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2019 Melanie Brown

Owen's life got complicated

 


 

“Take the shot! Take the shot!”

“I don’t have a clear shot! Too many people!”

“Clear the path! Don’t let that girl touch you. Get the hell out of the way!”

I turned around. What the hell is going on? I saw a teen girl run right towards me and push me. I felt a sudden wrench in my stomach and before my eyes was a blinding flash. I felt like my head was going to explode. I was suddenly gasping for air and then everything went black.

After a moment, my vision began to clear. I felt very dizzy and my head was pounding. Something felt very wrong. Everything felt wrong. A man ran up to me and helped me to my feet. I had trouble standing. I held out my hand to balance. What the fuck? I don’t wear nail polish! I saw someone who looked a lot like me receding into the distance. Four other men were chasing the running figure.

“You need to come with me,” said the man who helped me up. He was breathing hard from running. The man pointed. “See that bus? You need to go there for now. Go there so we don’t lose track of you. I have to go.”

I just stood there and watched the man run from me. I shouted, “What the fuck is going on here?” I almost fell over.

A young woman wearing a dark blue skirt and a light blue blouse, with a badge hanging from a lanyard around her neck hurried up to me. She took my arm and put a hand behind my back. She bent her head towards me. “Come with me, sweetie. You need to get off the street.”

As we got to the entrance of the bus, another person with a badge handed me a water bottle. Still dazed, I asked angrily, “No. Wait. What happened? What is going on?! Why are these not my fucking hands?!”

Leading me into the bus, the woman said calmly, “We’ll try to explain all this as soon as we can. Right now you need to sit down with those other people. Here’s your purse. Don’t lose that.” She handed me a brown, soft leather bag.

“I don’t have a purse!” I complained.

Sounding frustrated, the woman said, “Just keep up with it. Sit down right here and try to relax.”

“Relax!?” I shouted. “Are you out of your fucking mind?”

The woman looked to someone behind me and nodded. I suddenly felt a stick on my arm and then I didn’t remember anything else.

*          *          *

“Oh good. You’re awake,” said a voice next to me. I was lying in what seemed to be a cot of some kind in a large room. “As soon as your head clears, I need you to get up and follow me, please.”

Another voice behind me said, “That’s the last one, right?”

The voice next to me, obviously speaking in a different direction said, “So far today. it’s been quiet after that rush this morning.”

I looked over and expected to see a doctor. I saw a man in a suit. He tried to hide it from my view, but I did catch a glimpse of a shoulder holster with some kind of gun in it.

I held up my hand. The nail polish had been removed, but it was still too small to be my hand. “No. I’m not going anywhere. Where am I? What’s happened to me? What’s going on?”

The man frowned at me. “Come on sugar. Get up and follow me and we’ll debrief you. Chief is waiting for you. You’re the last one to wake up.”

“Fuck you!” I shouted. “And don’t call me ‘sugar’ you asshole. I’m not going anywhere until I know what’s going on!”

The man calmly nodded to someone behind me. “We know this is confusing and that you’re scared. We’re going to try to explain the situation as best we can. But you need to come with me. You can either walk on your own or we restrain you in that wheelchair.” I looked behind me and another guy in a suit was pushing wheelchair towards me. The man talking to me held out his hand to assist me getting out of the cot.

I scowled at both men for a moment. I had no idea what was going on, but I knew that for some reason, I was smaller than either of these men though all my life I’ve been tall and somewhat muscular. I knew resisting was pointless and I did want to know what the hell was going on. I took the offered hand. “Okay. You win.” Light brown hair fell across my face when I looked up.

The man looked down and smiled at me. “Thank you for cooperating. Please follow me to the debriefing, miss.”

The man helped me stand up from the cot. My legs were still a bit wobbly. “Why did you call me ‘miss’?’”

He just shook his head. “That’s what the debriefing is for. Come with me.”

I started following the man. Why was he taller than me? What’s with the hair and my hands? I thought briefly of running down one of the halls we passed. But not knowing where I was, that would probably be a bad idea. And I’m sure the guy behind me wouldn’t allow it.

We passed a glass case in the hall. I looked over at our reflection as we passed. There was the man in front of me and the man behind me, but in between was a reflection of a teenage girl. I stared at the reflection. What the fuck?

“Come along, miss,” said the man leading me. “Our destination is just around this corner.” There was a lot of yelling and screaming coming around the corner. Sounded like a fight.

We entered a large room. At one end, stood yet another guy in a suit standing at a lectern. On either side of him stood uniformed soldiers carrying lethal force. Several other soldiers were posted around the room. What the hell?

The room was mostly filled with people. All kinds of people sitting in folding chairs mostly or standing and waving their arms. There were kids, old people, middle aged people and there was even a wild-eyed baby being held by a uniformed nurse.

There were people standing and pointing at others and shouting things like “That’s my body! Give it back!” and “What the fuck is going on?” and “Who the hell are you people? Why am I a woman?” Someone across the room shouted, “Why am I white?” A few people had to be separated by soldiers. It was on the verge of mass pandemonium. My escorts stopped at the entrance.

About twenty armed soldiers rushed into the room. A man in another suit walked in and shouted, “Order! We must have order. Everything will be explained. Please take your seats.”

“Fuck you!”

The man shouted again, “We know you’re upset and confused. I’m going to explain the situation as best I can. But all of you need to sit down. See these soldiers? Lethal force is authorized. After the debriefing, you will all meet one on one with a special councilor. But I must have order now. We don’t want to have to shoot anyone.”

There was a general murmur and grumbling as the people in the room finally started to sit.

The man grabbed a chair that was along the wall and led me to the angry mob. He set the chair down at a row in the middle. “Sit here, miss.”

I looked around the room for another moment before sitting down. Who are all these people and how are we connected? Why do I look like a teen girl? This was insane!

The man at the lectern tapped the mic in front of him a couple of times. “Okay. Now that we’re all here…” He glanced over at me. “… and seated, we can tell you what we know about what happened to each of you. I know you’re all confused and want to know what is going on.” A computer projector screen lit up behind him. “By the way, I’m FBI Special Agent Brooks.

“To be blunt, all of you are a victim of an international criminal.” A picture of some man appeared on the screen. “This is Ron Simon. A small time murderer, and thief from the U.K. Working with Interpol, we have pieced together this narrative of what we think happened. A group of British researchers were experimenting with a neurologic enhancement drug for tests into telepathy. One of their experiments yielded a very unusual result. One of the researchers, Harry Wilson, was so sure of success and wanting to be the first in history to project his mind into another person tossed away all safety protocol and injected himself with a chemical that was actually an artificial virus. The chemical made him sick, knocked him unconscious and he wound up in the hospital.

“We’ll get back to Simon in a moment. The minute he woke up, he touched the nurse who was monitoring his condition. In a flash, the consciousness of Wilson and the nurse swapped bodies. The nurse started freaking, as you might well imagine and started screaming. Wilson was both exhilarated by his discovery working in an unexpected way and horrified by what occurred. He ran from the hospital. The hospital staff thought it was Wilson going bonkers in the hospital bed.”

Agent Brooks stopped for a moment and took a drink from the bottle of water on the lectern. He studied some notes and then continued. “This is where Simon comes in. Simon had just completed a robbery of an elderly couple he had forced into an ally where he slit their throats.

“When he came out of the ally that was next to the hospital, he saw a nurse run out, look around desperately and then run up to a teen boy who was walking on the street that joined the ally. He watched as the nurse ran up to the boy and touched him. The nurse fell to the asphalt, but got up looking horrified started yelling. The boy however, checked his wallet before hailing a taxi. The nurse collapsed to the asphalt again, screaming incoherently.

“Simon was very curious about what he just saw. It looked for all the world that the nurse had transferred herself into the teen boy. He’s since been identified, but his name has not been released. None of it made sense, but he decided it was worth checking into. He hailed another taxi and followed the boy back to a research lab.

“Simon kept his distance and followed the boy into the lab. And all this is largely conjecture since no one witnessed any of this. And we’re very sketchy on what might have happened in the lab. The lab was set on fire.

“When the police investigated, they found Simon’s body on the floor and he had been stabbed multiple times. There was a syringe on the floor next to his body. All the computers and papers on the research were destroyed in the fire.

“The nurse that had swapped with Wilson had also managed to escape the hospital, was found the next day running through a park raving about wanting his body back. Authorities, unaware that Wilson had swapped with the nurse, believed that the chemical he’d ingested had turned Wilson into a lunatic and he was taken to a mental hospital for his own safety. He kept claiming he was a thirty-three year old woman who was married, not the single twenty-eight year old Wilson.

“While the police were trying to figure out what was the problem with Wilson, four banks in the region were robbed by their own employees, usually the bank president. The police found several people outside these banks, raving the same as Wilson. That they were actually someone else.”

Agent Brooks took another drink. “Finally the local police brought in Interpol who started to piece together the puzzle. It suddenly explained the rash of crazy people spreading across Europe. Simon’s not dumb and is careful about how he swaps out with other people. He made some mistakes and was almost captured in Germany when a police officer forgot Simon’s new capabilities and found himself swapped with the five year old girl that Simon was using at the time. And so Simon again got away.”

Someone from the audience shouted as he stood up, “I don’t believe this! What you say isn’t possible!”

Expressionless, Agent Brooks asked, “Sir. Until today, have you been a middle aged man?” The man looked sheepishly around for a moment and then sat down without saying anything else.

Agent Brooks looked about the room. “Sad to say to you all, but this is very real. We don’t yet understand the mechanism in how it works. Like I said, everything was destroyed and we can only assume that Simon injected himself, swapped with Wilson and then stabbed his own body to death after he was in the teen boy’s body that Wilson had swapped into earlier. It gives me a headache just trying to explain this.

“Simon went on a swapping spree all across Europe. By swapping with airline passengers and flight crews, Simon has now come to the United States. You’ve never heard about this because we’ve managed to keep a lid on it and quite frankly, who’s going to believe it? We had him cornered here in Tucson and we feel he’s still here.”

Another person in the audience stood up. “Will we get our bodies back?”

Agent Brooks shrugged. “We’re investigating that. I have to say it looks doubtful. Right now it seems that once a person has been swapped, they can’t be swapped again. That’s how Simon was almost caught in Germany. The police there managed to encircle him with previously swapped people and he couldn’t swap with any of them.”

The people in the room started to get restless again and the shouting and shoving began again.

Agent Brooks shouted into his mic, “Order! We must have order, people!” He nodded at one of the soldiers who then said something into his headset. Suddenly every soldier in the room fired several bursts into the ceiling. The sound from the rifles was really really loud inside the room. The bullets seemed to penetrate the material of the ceiling, but not go through. The room got real quiet after that.

“You have to understand that the person who is in your body isn’t at fault. They didn’t take it on purpose,” said Agent Brooks calmly into his mic. “They’re a victim just like you. We’re bringing in councilors and putting each of you into separate holding cells where you will be evaluated and interviewed. After that we’ll call in what family members we can and try to decide your disposition for now. Be prepared. Some of you may not be able to rejoin your families in your current condition. A court is being set up at this facility to establish legal remedies.”

The soldiers then escorted us all out of the big room. There was still some shouts and shoving. I was placed in a small, windowless room. The room was empty except for two chairs and a small table between them. I heard the door lock when the soldier left me alone. For the first time, I was able to take stock of my situation. I felt my face and hair. My hair had gone from short and graying dark brown to past my shoulders and a light brown. My face was soft and smooth. I was wearing large hoop earrings and a tug proved my ears were pierced. I’m definitely not me anymore.

Looking down I could see smooth, hairless legs covered by a denim miniskirt. On my feet were pink and white tennis shoes. I couldn’t bring myself to explore other parts of my body. This was completely insane. I really wanted to start crying.

I opened the purse I was still carrying from when it was given to me on the bus. Inside was a couple of tampons, lip gloss, some other make-up, tissues, some coins, a cell phone with twenty-seven missed calls and currently no signal, and a student id. I looked at the id and focused on the picture. The picture was of a very pretty teen girl with a bright smile, long hair and blue eyes. Her name was Jennifer.

My mind raced. What was I going to do? This was crazy. What about my wife of thirty years? My daughter who is going to get married in a month? What about my job? Overcome with emotion, I started to cry.

*          *          *

After what seemed like forever, I heard the door being unlocked. A moment later the door opened and the doorway framed a woman in her mid-thirties, dressed in a business suit with a knee length skirt and low heels, wearing glasses. She smiled at me and then turned to the soldier behind her.

“I think the victim will be more comfortable with you outside, but do stay by the door, corporal.”

The soldier nodded. “Yes ma’am. I’ll lock the door after you’re inside.”

The woman smiled at me again as she took the seat on the opposite side of the table from me. “Good afternoon, miss. I’m Ms. Janus. I’m here to try to help you work through this … this… this event.” She set a laptop computer on the table and lifted the screen up.

I glared at her. “Why does everyone keep referring to me as ‘miss’? I’m not a girl.”

She smiled at me again as she started typing things into her laptop. “I’m sure by now you’re aware that you are now in the body of a teen girl. Specifically a fourteen year old. This is what I am here to discuss with you. I can almost guarantee you will not like anything I have to tell you, but this is just the way things are. At least for now.”

“How is this possible?” I extended my arm and wriggled my fingers. “Yes, I saw the presentation, but I just don’t understand.”

Ms. Janus frowned slightly as she looked up from her laptop. “We don’t either. The other researchers at the U.K. lab are just in the dark as the rest of us as to the process that allows this to happen. Nothing makes sense. The original body of Wilson, even though it had the virus injected directly in to it, is no longer able to do swaps. That nurse is still stuck in Wilson’s body.”

“Lady, I can’t be a girl!” I cried. “I have a wife and a daughter who’s getting married next month. I have my job I have to attend to. I can’t be in this body.”

Ms. Janus sighed. “That’s what we’re here to talk about. We’re using the system developed by the EU government to handle this situation. So. First things first, miss. I need your full name, address and social security number. We also need a description of yourself so we can see if we have your old body is here. We need to catalog who we have at this facility. We’ll contact your family and brief them on your condition and have them sign a non-disclosure agreement.”

I looked at Ms. Janus and took a deep breath. “For the record, my name is Owen Jacobs. I’m forty-seven years old and married with one grown daughter.” I then gave her my address and social security number. She dutifully entered the information into her laptop. She nodded as she looked up from her laptop. “Miss, I do believe your old body is here.”

I stood up. “I want to see it! I demand to see my body!”

Looking sternly at me, Ms. Janus said, “Please sit down miss. You are not going to meet your old body. There’s a seventy-two year old woman in your body now. It would do you no good to see your old body. We can’t put you back in it.”

I sat down. “Seventy-two year old woman? But this body is a fourteen year old girl. How is that possible?”

Ms. Janus sighed again. “Miss, you did not swap with a fourteen year old girl. Simon was in that body when you were switched. The girl who originally owned your body is now in a five year old boy. A twenty-three year old man is now in the body of the seventy-two year old woman. When Simon is on the run, he swaps with as many random people as he can to make it harder to track him. But we are working on a way and we will catch him eventually. But we need to get back to discussing you.”

I leaned forward, shaking in anger. “Look. I can’t be this girl. I just can’t.”

Ms. Janus looked at me with emotionless eyes. “Everyone who has experienced this… this evil feels the same as you do. They’re angry and confused. I know it sounds trite to say this, but the sooner you adapt to your new life, the better off you are. You’re better off than many. Just think what the twenty-three year old man must be going through to now be an old woman. His entire life has been stolen from him.”

I grimaced. “Yes, I’m sure that must really suck. I feel bad for him, but that doesn’t make my situation any better.”

Ms. Janus closed her laptop. “I understand. I really do. But I have other victims to attend to. Here in a few minutes, you will be escorted to a dorm room with other adolescent female victims until tomorrow when we’ll meet again. I can tell you that you have been assigned an attorney who will work with your family after we contact them since we now have that information. He will represent you before the panel of judges overseeing this event. Good day, miss. I am truly sorry.”

I stood up with her. “Wait! What’s going to happen to me? To my family?”

The soldier outside opened the door to her knock and she left without looking back. A few minutes later, the same soldier opened the door again and stepped inside.

“Come with me, please miss.” The soldier gestured that I should leave the room. I looked at the soldier and hesitated a moment. I shrugged and left the room.

I stepped out into a very long hallway lined with closed doors and soldiers standing outside. Many of the doors were left open with no guards. I thought briefly of just running, but where would I run to? I wouldn’t get ten feet before being apprehended. I sighed and followed the soldier.

We walked down several halls before entering a fair-sized room with the walls lined with cots. There were two guards posted at the door. There were about twelve girls all looking to be in their middle teens. A female officer approached us.

The soldier saluted. “Ma’am. This is the last of the teen girls. At least today.”

The officer nodded. “Thank you corporal. I’ll take her from here.” The soldier turned and closed the door behind him.

The officer turned towards me. “Welcome, miss. I am Captain Gordon. I know you don’t want to be here and I really don’t blame you. You shouldn’t be here more than a day or two and we’ll try to make you as comfortable as possible within our limitations.”

She made a wide sweep with her arm. “As you can see, you are here with other girls around your age who are in the same situation you are. You will be housed here while we try to contact any family members or associates to apprise them of your situation. You got here just in time. We’re about to serve dinner. Let me assign you your cot and then we’ll all file out to the mess hall.”

I was numb. I just looked around at the room and the girls and felt nothing. No emotion at all. I was completely drained. I didn’t even realize I was hungry until Captain Gordon’s mention of dinner.

She stopped in front of a cot and announced, “This is the cot you’re assigned to. Remember ‘B-15’ should you be asked by staff. On the cot you will find a night gown and panties, and clothes will be issued tomorrow morning after your shower.”

I looked at the cot, then back to the officer. “Where are we, exactly? Why are the windows painted over?”

Captain Gordon studied me for a moment. “I’m not at liberty to tell you where. I’m sure you have guessed this is a military installation. It’s seldom used as it was originally built in anticipation of biological warfare. And now, come with me. I see the other girls are being lined up to be taken to the mess hall.” There were several women soldiers telling the girls to line up.

I looked at the faces of my fellow inmates. Everyone looked as sad and numb as I felt. There was no talking. No laughing as you might expect from a group of teen girls. But then, nobody here was an actual teen girl. I took the last place in the line.

Captain Gordon walked to the head of the line. “Okay, girls. The rules are the same for those of you who were here earlier. The food line is buffet style. So take all you want, but eat all you take. All food must stay in the mess hall. You will be given thirty minutes for dinner, and then you will return to the dorm room, change into your gowns and then lights out. Understood?”

There was a sullen chorus of “Yes ma’am.” We were then directed into the mess hall. The offerings to eat were pretty Spartan. Chicken strips, steak fingers and pre-made bowls of salad with a variety of sodas to drink. There were several long tables set up.

I was starving, so I took a few more chicken strips than I probably should have along with a bowl of salad and sat down next to a girl who looked to be about thirteen. She nodded at me as I sat down.

The girl extended her hand towards me. “Hi. I’m Thomas.”

I shook Thomas’ hand. “Owen. How long have you been here?”

Thomas shrugged as she chewed a steak finger. “This is my second night. They said I’ll be leaving tomorrow.”

I took a bite of my chicken strip. “Leaving? Going home?”

Thomas grunted a laugh. “To a foster home. I’m divorced. My ex thought my situation was hilarious. She actually wanted to adopt me, but I protested. My two sons, both in their twenties, while they were both upset about my situation, neither thought they could handle a thirteen year old girl who used to be their dad. So it’s off to a foster home for me. That seems to be what most of our dispositions are. Don’t be surprised if you get fostered too.”

I swallowed a gulp of soda. “Holy shit. I hope not. I have a wife and a grown daughter. I’ll be glad to get back to them.”

Thomas looked at me with a dull expression. “Good luck with that.”

*          *          *

I tossed and turned all night with a few nightmares added for good measure. I haven’t had any nightmares in at least twenty years. Our breakfast was just a bowl of oatmeal. We showered in groups of ten. At first I was put off at the idea of being in the shower with nine underage girls. But then, I was an underage girl too, so I guess it didn’t really matter. I still couldn’t get past the mindset that touching myself would be wrong, so I had to mentally yell at myself that I was touching me in order to wash, not some weird, perverted reason. I was frustrated again at my situation when I had to sit to pee. The clothes waiting for us on our cots were a pair of cotton panties, a short, white pull over dress and socks. Looking around at the others, this really did seem more like a prison.

There were no books, no TV, no magazines, no radio… nothing with which to pass the time away. There was very little talking among the girls. Thomas was escorted out as soon as she was dressed. So I just decided to lie on my cot.

I must have dozed as I felt someone touch my arm. “Miss? Miss?”

I looked up to see a woman soldier leaning over me. There was a man in a suit standing behind her. I said, “Go away.” I rolled over and closed my eyes.

The soldier touched my arm again. Sounding a bit irritated, she said, “Miss. You need to get up. There’s a gentleman here to discuss your future. You must go with him now.”

I raised myself up on one elbow. “Look. Fuck both of you. I’m not moving until I get some answers.”

The man in the suit nodded. “That’s why I’m here, miss. I’m Mr. Lewis with the DHS. Please come with me. We have a lot to cover.”

The soldier said, “You need to vacate this cot, miss. We have another girl being assigned to it before lunch. Most of the other girls here will be processed out shortly as well.”

I climbed out of the cot and stood between the man and the soldier. I felt so small and vulnerable next to the man. I looked at the soldier. “Do I get my clothes back?”

The soldier shook her head. “The clothes you were wearing have been sent to a lab for analysis in case there’s a residue from the transfer. You are wearing standard issue for the day.”

Mr. Lewis pointed towards the door. “Please miss. Follow me. I have other victims to attend to as well.”

I frowned at the soldier. “Are you guys ever going to catch the bastard who’s causing all this?”

The soldier showed no expression. “That’s the plan, miss. Now please follow Mr. Lewis.” Mr. Lewis had already started walking towards the door. I sighed and ran a few steps to catch up with him.

I followed Mr. Lewis into the hall and followed past a row of doors that all looked alike with guards. He approached one particular door and nodded toward the guard. Without a word, the guard turned and unlocked the door and opened it.

Mr. Lewis smiled at me and gestured to the open door. “After you, miss.”

I walked into the room. It was identical to the previous room I had been interviewed in. Just two chairs and a small table and nothing else.

Pointing at the far chair, Mr. Lewis said, “Have a seat miss. Let’s get started. He took the other chair and set a laptop computer on the table. He opened it and waited for it to boot up.

I stared at Mr. Lewis for several seconds. “I was told I have been appointed a lawyer. Is that you?”

Mr. Lewis shook his head as he began typing on the laptop. “No, miss. I’m not.”

I frowned at him. “I want to see him. Now.”

Mr. Lewis looked over at me and sighed. “I’m sorry, miss. You can’t. He’s already been re-assigned.”

“Re-assigned?” I asked, incredulous. “I haven’t seen him yet. I want to know my rights. I’m being held against my will. I’m basically a prisoner.”

Mr. Lewis shrugged. “If it helps you to think that. Miss, we can’t just let you go running around. What has happened to you and all the victims being processed at this facility have experienced something unprecedented in all of human history. Policies are being constructed outside the ones we’ve adopted by the EU mostly to address issues like rights and such. It just takes time. But there’s no point in seeing your attorney anyway. Your case was adjudicated last night. And I’m here to issue to you, the court’s orders.”

I stood up quickly and shouted, “What? Shouldn’t I have been there? What the hell is going on?”

“Please sit down, miss.” Mr. Lewis looked at me with a worried expression. “I don’t think either of us wish for me to call for restraints.”

My anger still simmering, I sat down. “This is bullshit!”

Mr. Lewis looked at the screen on his laptop. “I will now read to you the findings of the court followed by the orders of the court which you are required to follow, subject to arrest for failure to adhere to them.

“First, the court has declared a Mr. Owen Jacobs to be legally deceased.

“The court interviewed your wife, now widow and daughter. They were brought in before the three judge panel of the court and were apprised of your situation. They were then given several options for a course of action. Your widow was offered the option of adopting you as her daughter. She declined saying she couldn’t go through with raising another teenage girl especially knowing you were the girl.”

I couldn’t hold back the tears any longer. “My wife wouldn’t take me back? I should have been allowed to talk to her, dammit!”

Continuing without any emotion, Mr. Lewis said, “The court made the same offer to your daughter. Your situation has put her marriage on hold. She didn’t feel she could adopt and raise a girl who is only a few years younger than herself, especially knowing that girl is you.”

I cried, “I wouldn’t have been any trouble! I should have been allowed to speak with her!”

Reading from his laptop, Mr. Lewis continued. “The court also interviewed the parents of Miss Jennifer Coleman, your body’s original owner. As much as they would love to see their daughter again, they declined to adopt you as well, as you would be a constant reminder of their daughter but not have any of her memories or experiences. As a side note, they did adopt the five year old boy who their daughter has become.

“So it is the finding of this court that Victim 347-J (that’s you) be placed in foster care for the foreseeable future. The Coleman family has agreed to donate many of Jennifer’s clothes, and other personal items to the afore mentioned victim. The court so orders that the victim chooses an appropriate name that will become part of the victim’s permanent record and said victim will be made available for pick up by the court appointed foster parents by five o’clock local time. Victim 347-J will never speak of your former life. As far as the court is concerned, the victim has always been a female. ”

I jumped up and shouted, “This is bullshit! I’m not doing it! I want to see my wife! Now!”

Mr. Lewis rapped on the door to summon the guard. “Miss. You have no wife. You are no longer Mr. Jacobs. If you choose not to follow the court order, this soldier will place you under military arrest and you will be transferred to a juvenile detention facility that is not as pleasant as this one. Now. Unless you want to be arrested on the spot, please provide me with the name you wish to go by and then follow me to the processing center.”

I looked at the soldier who looked at me with dispassionate eyes and he tightened his grip on his weapon. My God. Would he actually shoot me? I doubted it as I’m sure he wouldn’t want to fill out the paperwork for discharging his weapon. But should I go? Being arrested would accomplish nothing. I’m not making a stand for truth, justice and the American way. I’ll just be put in jail. Again I felt small being next to these two men. I’m sure that was deliberate. I was out of options. At least for now.

I sighed. “You win, dickhead. Lead the way, you asshole.”

Mr. Lewis looked pissed. “Now miss…”

“Does the court require I be nice to you?” I interrupted.

Mr. Lewis stood up. “I’m just doing my job, miss. Before we leave, have you decided on a new name?”

I took a deep breath. “Jennifer Jacobs.” Mr. Lewis made a note on his laptop. I decided to keep the girl’s first name and keep my last name.

He nodded to the soldier and then looked at me. “Now Jennifer, please follow me.”

We walked out of the room with the soldier standing right behind me.

*          *          *

I sat in a waiting room by myself. I was wearing one of the original Jennifer’s dresses that her parents had brought in. As well as her bra and panties. The facility’s nurse had to show me how to wear the bra and basically dress myself. A suitcase with more of Jennifer’s clothes was sitting on the floor next to me. There was another bag with some stuffed animals, and a few dolls along with cosmetics and other random things.

In the adjoining room, I could hear a muffled conversation of the prospective foster parents and the facility personnel. The rear door to the waiting room opened and I was surprised to see Captain Gordon walk in. She smiled at me as she approached.

“I just wanted to drop by to see how you were adjusting,” said the captain. “You’re still my responsibility until you are discharged from this facility. I think you’re almost ready for your foster parents to take you home with them.”

I frowned at the captain. “I’m doing okay, I guess. I’d rather go home to my wife.”

Captain Gordon shook her head. “You know that isn’t possible, Jennifer. You no longer have a wife, a bank account or previous responsibilities. The old you is dead. Are you not the least bit excited about the new future waiting for you? You’re lucky. You have a chance to start over.”

My frown deepened. “I’m more worried about my future. I don’t know how to be a girl.”

Captain Gordon stepped closer to me. “The nurse checked you out, correct? She instructed you about what to expect with your periods?”

I nodded. “Yes. Of course my wife complained about her monthly visitor all the time. I’m not looking forward to experiencing my first one. The nurse said that after talking to Jennifer’s parents, I should expect my first period in about two weeks. This just keeps getting better and better.”

The captain glanced over at the opaque windows of the office next to us. She looked serious as she looked back at me. “Seriously, Jennifer. We’d rather you not return to this facility. Please don’t give your foster parents a hard time. From what I understand, they’re good people. They think they’re taking in a girl who lost her parents to a house fire along with almost everything she owned. This is probably the last foster they want to do. They said if you work out, they would love to adopt you. Try to make that happen, okay?”

I barked a humorless laugh. “Trust me, captain. The last thing I want is to return here.”

The captain started to turn back to the door she came in from. “Good-bye, Jennifer. And good luck.” She walked back out the door, leaving me alone again.

A few minutes later, the office door opened and a woman stuck her head out the door. “Jennifer. Could you come in here please? And bring your stuff with you.” She looked at me and whispered, “Smile!”

I stood up and grabbed my bags and walked to the door. I tried to smile.

*          *          *

The car I was riding in pulled up into the driveway of a very nice suburban house. The woman who is one of my foster parents turned to look at me in the back seat. “We’re here at your new home. We have your room all ready for you.”

As the male half of the foster parents got out of his car, he said, “I’ll bring in your bags. Go on in and make yourself at home.”

I didn’t say much on the ride to their house. I mostly just watched the world go by outside the car windows. Nothing looked familiar. If I had to bet, I was no longer in the same city I was living in. At some point at the detention center I must have been moved, but I wasn’t aware of how. I’m sure they didn’t want either me or the body I was wearing would run into anyone we knew.

Meeting my foster parents for the first time went very well, as far as I could tell, not ever having experienced that before. We got introduced to each other. We spent a great deal of time deciding what I was going to call these people. Was it going to be Lloyd and Angela or Dad and Mom? They both assured me that they had no intent to replace my parents in my heart. The cover story the government fed this couple was that my parents were dead. Of course my real parents both mine and the real Jennifer was very much alive. To show Captain Gordon that I’m a team player and keep things simple, I opted to call them Mom and Dad. There was another dynamic to add to my new family equation. They had a biological son named Zack who was sixteen.

I’m sure my new parents took my being quiet to be just another moody teen. But actually, I kept my mouth shut so I wouldn’t angrily shout about how this is all a bunch of bullshit. I didn’t feel it was right to take my frustrations out on this couple. My situation isn’t their fault, after all.

I got out of the car and looked around the neighborhood. It was certainly very nice. Tall trees lined the street. Lush green lawns. “Mom” walked up to the front door of the house and turned back to me. “Come on inside, sweetie. Let me show you around.”

I looked up. “Coming.”

Mom held out her hand to me as I walked onto the porch. With her fingers, she brushed my hair out of my face and she touched my shoulder. “I know this is hard for you. You get shuffled around. You don’t know us and we don’t know you. You don’t know what to expect. But we’re going to make this work, okay? Let me show you the house.”

I nodded and smiled weakly. She took my hand and led me into the house. It felt weird walking into what was still a complete stranger’s house. As Mom was showing me all the rooms in the house, Dad brought in my suitcases.

I was led out from the kitchen into the back yard. As soon as we stepped out, I stopped and looked around. “Wow. This is nice.” I said honestly. It was a beautiful yard. Green grass, a few large trees and a flower garden.

Suddenly a little Yorkshire terrier came tearing around from a side yard and started dancing around me, yipping. His energy and just plain joy of living made me forget for a moment all the crap happening to me. I laughed as I watched the small dog jump around barking. I crouched down and extended my hand towards the dog. The dog sniffed my hand for a few moments and then started licking my fingers. I reached out with my other hand and petted his head.

Mom looked down at us and smiled. “He likes you.”

Smiling, I rubbed the dog’s head between his ears. “What’s his name?”

Grinning, Mom said, “Jennifer, meet Frisky.”

I laughed as Frisky started jumping again and then running around the yard. “That’s a good name for him.”

I stood up slowly and watched Frisky run back and forth. Watching Frisky, I said, “I like it here.” I was being completely honest.

Mom smiled at me and reached over to ruffle my hair. “We want you to be happy here, Jennifer. We want you to feel like this is your home.”

I smiled and nodded.

Mom grinned. “Let’s go check out your room.”

*          *          *

The room was about what I expected. Medium sized with a built-in desk and a dresser with a mirror mounted on the top. I could have done without the pink bed spread, but I didn’t say anything. Mom just stood by the door way and smiling as she watched me explore around the room. I opened the closet expecting it to be filled with frilly girly things, but it was empty. There was a new laptop computer sitting on the desk.

“Sorry, honey. We didn’t get your sizes from the agency in time to buy you any clothes,” Mom said apologetically. “We’ll go shopping this weekend so you can pick out some clothes you like.” I always hated going clothes shopping with my wife. Somehow I don’t think looking at women’s clothes for me will be any better.

I looked across the hall at the open door to the bedroom across from me. I pointed across the hall. “Where is… is… ?”

“Zach?” prompted Mom. “He’s in school. We’ll take you up to school tomorrow and get you registered.”

I looked over at Mom. With dread in my voice, I asked, “School?”

Mom laughed. “Of course, silly. You have to go to school.” I never liked school. Been there. Done that. And literally got the t-shirt.

I knew what the answer would be, but I asked, “Can I just CLEP out of school?”

Mom laughed again. “You’re too funny. Now, let’s put your clothes up.” Dad had set my bags on my bed. Mom turned and opened one and started extracting the clothes. She held up a dress and looked at it. “These are so cute!”

Around a half hour later, several minutes after we got my clothes squared away, I heard the front door slam and a boy’s voice shout, “I’m home!”

Mom stuck her head out my door and called, “Hey Zach! Come here and meet your new sister.”

Thirty seconds later, a sixteen year old boy walked into my room. He grinned broadly when his eyes fell on me. I know that look and I was suddenly uncomfortable. He waved his hand. “Hey.”

Mom took my arm and led me closer to the boy. “Zach, meet your new sister Jennifer. Jennifer, say hello to your new brother Zach.” I held out my hand for him to shake. I didn’t really want to touch him.

Still grinning, Zach said, “Hey Jennifer! Welcome to the family. It’s great to have you with us!”

I studied his face as he shook my hand. I bet it’s great, for him. This kid’s a regular horndog and his eyes were drooling at me. I hope he doesn’t forget I’m his sister. I’d hate to have to surgically remove his testicles…with a butter knife.

As he released my hand, he asked, “What’s for dinner, Mom?” Or maybe he’s just hungry.

Mom put her arm around my shoulders. “I’m making something special in honor of our newest family member. Don’t make a face, Zach. Her favorite dinner is chicken fried steak. You like that.”

Zach smiled broadly at me. “I like you already.” His eyes lingered at my budding boobs. I suspect my initial estimation of Zach is probably correct. I’m curious how they knew I liked chicken fried steak. My ex-wife must have shared that tidbit. Oh God. What else did she tell them?

Mom looked down at me. “I should probably get started. Do you want to help me in the kitchen?”

I wanted to say “No. Of course not. I want a beer and watch some TV before dinner is ready.” And really? You expect me to help make the dinner that’s supposedly in my honor? Instead, I looked up at Mom, smiled and said, “Sure!”

Dad grinned at us as Mom and I started walking down the hall. “Sounds great! I’m hungry already. While I’m waiting, I think I’ll have a beer and watch TV.”

“I’ll be in my room,” announced Zach.

Mom ruffled my hair. “It’ll be great to finally have some help in the kitchen.”

I shrugged. “I don’t know how to cook anything.”

Mom gave me a quizzical look. “Really?” She then grinned. “We’ll fix that. Even Zach knows how to cook.”

*          *          *

After changing into my nightgown, I came back into the living room where Mom and Dad were watching some cable news show. Mom saw me and got up and walked towards me.

She kissed my forehead. “You look cute in your new nightgown! Well, goodnight honey. You have a big day tomorrow.” Yeah. School. I can’t wait. I need to try to be less sarcastic.

I was looking at the floor as I headed towards my room. I looked up and stopped in my tracks. Zach was leaning against the wall by my door.

He narrowed his eyes at me. “So who are you really?”

I started to walk past him, but he moved to block entrance to my room. “What are you talking about?”

Zach smirked at me. “You’re not who you say you are. Seriously. I Googled your story. I couldn’t find anything to that matches your story of being orphaned from a fire.”

I frowned. Great. A hacker type. “It wasn’t local. Let me in my room or I’ll scream.”

Zach backed away from the door a bit. “I could figure that much since there wasn’t any local news story about it. But I couldn’t find anything at all. So who are you really?”

I looked up at Zach and grinned. “I’m actually a forty-seven year old man in a witness protection program. That’s all I can say.”

Zach rolled his eyes. “Fuck that shit. No seriously. Who are you really? I won’t tell Mom and Dad.”

I decided I couldn’t trust Zach any further than I could throw him. I thought quickly on a lie that he could believe, but not easily check.

I sighed and looked at the floor. “I’m just a girl, Zach. A girl who’s always been in trouble. I was taken from my abusive parents when I was five. I ran away from my first foster home. I’ve been in and out of more foster homes and juvie facilities than I can remember. But that’s over. Living on the streets suck. Your parents seem nice. I want a normal life for once.”

Zach took a step back and looked sheepish. “Oh wow. Sorry. I didn’t know. I can imagine how much that would suck. Mom really likes you. If you really want a normal life, I’m sure you’ll find it here.”

I sighed. “I do. I want a clean break from my past. As far as I’m concerned, who I was before is dead.” At least that was true. I could be bitter and hate my fate or I could try to embrace it. I can’t change who I am now.

Zach nodded. “That’s cool. Well, good night.” He turned and walked into his room and shut the door.

*          *          *

The assistant principal smiled at me as she handed me two sheets of paper. “Here’s a map of the school and here’s a bell schedule. I’ll take you to your class. Because of the time, you’ll be starting in your third period Algebra class. If you would follow me, please?”

Mom stood up with me. She gave me a hug. “You’ll be okay, honey. No need to be worried. I know it’s all new and everything, but after a few days, you’ll be used it all.” She kissed my forehead.

I nodded. I hated this. I never liked school. And now here I am again. Mom had me wear a dress. Looking out into the halls, it seemed most of the girls either wore jeans or short skirts. There were those wearing dresses, just not as many. And then there was the make-up. Mom thought if I wore make-up, it would help me fit in better with the other girls. Actually I felt like I had a neon sign pointing at my face.

I felt grossly conspicuous both because of how I was dressed, but mainly I’m having to face a strange new world as a girl. I was a fairly confident young man out of college and quickly rose up in management. Not many things intimidated me. But now I was not only intimidated by the adults in this world, but also by other fourteen year old girls. And boys. I hated when a boy looked at me.

The assistant principal led me to a doorway. The door was opened and I could see a male teacher addressing his class. Smiling, the assistant principal said, “Here’s your third period class, Algebra. For your first class here, I’ll introduce you, just to break the ice. For your other classes, just introduce yourself to the teacher before they start the class. And you can always come to me if you need help.” I nodded. I did not want to enter that classroom.

As we entered the classroom, the teacher stopped speaking and turned towards us. The assistant principal said, “Sorry to interrupt your class Mr. Watson. But we have a new Tiger starting today. Miss Jennifer Jacobs.” Tiger is the school’s mascot. I found it embarrassing to be introduced as a new Tiger.

Mr. Watson grinned at me. “Great to have you on board, Miss Jacobs. Just find a seat anywhere for now.”

I felt every eye on me as I walked to an empty seat and sat down. Several boys smiled at me. I just wanted to hide, but I couldn’t. I was nervous as hell and couldn’t really concentrate on what the teacher was saying. Not that I needed too since I had Calc III in college.

Finally the bell rang and I stepped out into the relative anonymity of the busy hallway. I pulled the map I had been given out of my purse and tried to figure out where I was and where I needed to go.

A boy from my Algebra class, who had looked shyly away when I was looking over my fellow classmates, walked up to me. He looked at his shoes for a moment. “Hi. Jennifer, right? Do you need help finding your next class?”

I looked up from my map. “I think I could use some help.”

His face brightened slightly. “What’s your next class?”

I showed him my schedule. “Your in English class. E-17. That’s just around the corner. I’ll show you.”

I smiled at him. “Thanks! That’s nice of you. And your name is…?”

He gave me a shy smile. “Sorry. I’m Caleb. It’s nice to meet you.”

Caleb took a few steps ahead of me. “Come on. You don’t want to be late to Ms. Sweeny’s class. Trust me on that.”

I set my focus on following Caleb and ignored the teeming masses surrounding me. I felt like an interloper and wearing a dress and make-up wasn’t helping me feel any more secure.

Caleb stopped in front of a door labeled E-17. “Here we are. I noticed you have a science class after this. It’s just right down this hall.”

I sighed as I smiled at Caleb. “Thank you very much, Caleb. This school is so big.”

Caleb laughed. “Yeah. It’s easy to get lost. Well, I gotta get to my next class. See ya ‘round.” He quickly turned away and hurried off down the hall.

Several kids were entering the room and I followed them in. I walked up to the teacher who frowned at me.

We just stared at each other for several moments. Finally I said, “Hi. I’m Jennifer Jacobs?” I said it as a question. My confidence level was pretty low.

Ms. Sweeny nodded. “Ah yes. The new girl. I was told to expect you. Just find an empty seat for now.” She scowled and then continued, not really looking at me. “I’ll have to re-arrange the seating to get everyone back in alphabetical order.”

I nodded and headed towards an empty desk by the wall at the end of the row.

As I sat down, the girl sitting in front of me, who I later learned was named Sophia, turned to look at me. “The new girl, huh? I noticed you talking to Caleb. You don’t want to talk to Caleb.”

A girl sitting across from me. who I learned was named Olivia, said, “Yeah, He’s a dweeb.”

Sophia laughed. “What does he call himself? An old taco?” Olivia laughed as well.

I thought for a moment. “Otaku?” I prompted.

Olivia nodded. “That’s it. He watches those stupid Japanese cartoons.”

I smiled. I think I like this Caleb already. In my college days I consumed a lot of anime and mangas. My daughter’s husband to be is big into anime and J-Pop. I just shrugged. “He seems nice.” Since he helped me, I thought I should defend him somewhat.

The girl sitting behind me touched my shoulder. I turned around to look at her. “Don’t listen to them. Caleb is a very nice boy. He’s smart and he’s cute. And my name is Cathy, by the way.”

Sophia groaned. “He can talk forever about those stupid cartoons! I don’t get it.”

I shrugged again. “I like anime. It’s not really fair to dismiss it as just a cartoon.”

Olivia laughed. “Oh my God! It looks like Caleb has found himself a girlfriend!!” Sophia laughed.

Ms. Sweeny stepped up next to the girl in front of me. “When do you girls think you’ll be finished with your discussion so I can begin class?”

Sophia looked down at her hands. “Yes ma’am. We’re done. You can start class now.”

Her words dripping with sarcasm, Ms. Sweeny said, “Why thank you.” Olivia looked over at Sophia and laughed silently. Ms. Sweeny went back to the front of the class and began speaking.

After the bell rang and we all started leaving the classroom, Sophia stopped me. “Hey girl. Seriously, I know how hard it is to make friends at a new school. You can hang with us, but really, you need to avoid Caleb.”

I frowned slightly. “I’ll remember that.” Sophia and Olivia smiled sweetly and strutted off down the hall. While I’m not interested in boys at all, I decided I definitely don’t want to hang out with those two girls and their friends. I couldn’t stand stuck up bitches like them when I was in school. In school before.

*          *          *

My lunch period finally arrived. I was actually hungry. But more than that, I needed to find a space to be alone to collect my thoughts. It was nerve wracking enough just being back in middle school, but also being a girl to boot. I surprised myself in not having any trouble remembering which bathroom to use. But I shocked myself when I realized I was checking my make-up in the mirror. That’s when I realized I was starting to lose contact with my previous life. I wasn’t forgetting who I was, it’s just my previous existence was losing relevance.

After going through the line to fill my tray, I started scanning the lunch room for an empty table where I could be alone. Some movement caught my eye and at one table I saw Cathy smiling and waving and indicating she wanted me to join her. I wanted to be alone, dammit, but I didn’t want to be rude either. A few other girls were sitting with her.

As I approached, Cathy indicated the seat next to her. She smiled broadly. “Hey Jennifer! Come sit with us!”

I smiled as I set my tray down on the table next to Cathy. “Hey Cathy. Thanks. I really don’t know anyone at this school.”

Cathy laughed. “I know the feeling.” She started pointing at the other girls. “This is Cindy and Julie, and Esther, and Fiona. Guys, this is Jennifer. She just transferred to our school.” She looked at me. “Now you know some people!”

A little embarrassed, I smiled and looked at the other girls. “Thanks. Hi everyone. Nice to meet you all.”

Cathy grinned at me. “I know what it’s like to be the new girl in school. More times than I care to say, actually.”

I looked at Cathy questioningly. “Oh?”

Cathy nodded. “Nobody wants to hear my sob story again, but long story short, we moved around a lot when I was younger. Then I ran away from home. Then I wound up with foster parents. A couple of them actually. But my current foster parents are making arrangements to adopt me.”

Not sure what to say at that point, I asked, “Are your real parents dead?”

Cathy frowned and shook her head. “They don’t want me. My foster parents actually care about me. How about you, Jennifer? The rumor is you’re a foster too.”

I nodded and wondered how the story got out. I decided to stick with the original cover story in spite of what I had told Zach. “Yeah. My parents were killed and our house destroyed in a fire.”

Cathy shook her head. “Wow. That sucks. I’m sorry to hear that.” It suddenly got quiet around the table.

Julie stood up. “Hey. I need to go by my locker. Catch y’all later.”

Fiona started to stand too. “Yeah, me too. See ya guys.”

Cindy said, “I need to drop by the library. Later.”

Esther stood. “Yeah, I need to go too.”

A moment later it was just Cathy and I sitting at the table. I looked over at Cathy and shrugged.

“Sorry.”

Cathy shook her head. “Not your fault. Well, actually it is your fault.” She laughed.

I forced a smile. “Well, anyway. I’m happy for you. Getting adopted and all.”

Grinning, Cathy said, “Thanks. What about you? If I’m not being too nosey how is your foster home?”

I nodded. “Pretty good I guess. If everything works out, I think they want to keep me.”

Cathy smiled. “I hope it works out.” She then looked at me closely. “Let me guess, your foster mom helped you with your make-up?”

I looked at Cathy curiously. “Well, actually, yes. I never really wore make-up before.” Or at all!

Cathy laughed. “We need to fix that! Come over to my house sometime and I’ll give you some pointers. Oh wow. We need to split or we’ll both be late for our next class.”

I started to stand up. “Thanks. I’ll take you up on that.” Not that I really want to wear make-up, but I’m trying to fit in.

*          *          *

I was so glad when school finally ended. I was at my wit’s end. I just hoped that things will get better as I become more used to being in public as a girl. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to boys talking to me.

I walked out a side entrance to the school as it was closer to the street where Zach will pick me up. I’m still not sure if I trust a sixteen year old to drive me around.

As I exited the building, I heard some scuffling sound and voices coming from around the corner. Curious, I walked over to the sound to investigate. What I saw shocked me. There was a boy on the ground getting kicked and beat on by several boys. One of the boys was taller than the rest and seemed to be leading the other boys in beating up the kid on the ground. I didn’t know the tall boy’s name, but I had seen him around school. The boy on the ground was begging for them to stop.

Forgetting I was no longer an adult male, I ran up to the fight shouting, “Boys! Boys! What the hell is going on here? Stop this immediately!”

All the boys stopped hitting the boy on the ground and turned their attention to me. I thought, oh shit.

One of the boys shouted, “Get lost, bitch! This ain’t none of your business!”

The tall boy turned to look at me. For a moment he just stared. He grinned and bowed to me and gestured like he was tipping his hat. “Yes ma’am! Whatever you say!” He turned to the other boys. “Guys. You heard the lady. Knock it off. Let him up.”

“Ace!” shouted one of the boys. “Are you nuts? We need to teach this dweeb a lesson!”

Ace grinned at me. “I said, let him go. You heard the lady.”

The boy, still angry pointed at me and shouted, “Fuck that bitch!” He turned to the other boys who all now looked shocked and confused. “Let’s finish this!”

Ace walked over and whacked the angry boy on his ear. “I said knock it off!” Ace then walked over to the boy on the ground, reached down and offered to help the boy to this feet.

“Caleb!” I shouted when I saw the boy who was getting beat up. I ran up to him and helped him stand. I scowled at Ace. “You should be ashamed of yourself! Pick on someone your own size, you coward.”

Ace shrugged. “I’m sorry Miss! Trust me. It was all a misunderstanding. And by the way, I like your dress. You look very nice.”

Angrily, I said, “Get lost, asshole. Leave Caleb alone. He’s done nothing to you.”

Ace, looking calm said in a matter-if-fact tone, “Actually, he was taking my bike.”

Caleb was crying. He wiped his nose with his hand and shouted, “Bullshit! I didn’t touch your bike!”

Ace folded his arms. “I have witnesses.”

Caleb cried, “They’re all your buds!”

I pulled Caleb back. “Let’s get away from these guys.”

I led Caleb back inside the school. His clothes were covered in dirt as was his face. Dirty tears streaked his cheeks. He had a cut lip and a nose bleed. I led him into the restroom.

“Hey, this is the girl’s room!” Caleb protested.

I frowned. “I don’t care. Let’s get you cleaned up.”

Using wet paper towels, I cleaned up his face and the cuts on his arms and tried to dust him off as best I could.

“What was going on?” I asked. “Why were they beating you up?”

Caleb frowned. “Because I’m me. Seriously. That’s the only reason. They know I can’t hurt them.”

I shook my head. “What a bunch of assholes.”

Caleb looked over at me. “But hey. Thanks for helping me. I was really worried they were going to seriously hurt me. I’m surprised Ace listened to you.”

I grunted a laugh. “Me too. Hey I need to go. I’m sure my brother is wondering where I am. Take care.” He nodded and quickly left the restroom.

I walked out the building and saw Zach parked by the curb waiting for me. I just wanted to go home.

*          *          *

Cathy’s eyes went wide as I told her about what happened with Ace and Caleb. We were standing next to one of the trees lining the entrance to the school.

Sounding incredulous, Cathy asked, “You got Ace to back down? Seriously?”

I shrugged. “Well, he got his minions to stop beating on Caleb after I yelled at him. In fact…”

Cathy suddenly looked away and made a shushing sound. “Speak of the devil…”

Ace walked up to us, grinning. “Well good morning, ladies!” His presence actually frightened me. Surely he wouldn’t hit me out in the open would he?

Cathy shook her head. “Get lost, Ace.”

Ace looked taken aback. “No reason for rudeness! I just wanted to thank your friend for helping me change my ways. I’m a new man. I’ve seen the light. And I owe it all to… is it okay if I call you Rebecca?”

I frowned. “I’m Jennifer. And no.”

Ace shook his head. “I see you doubt me. You’ll see. Well, I have to get going. Chat with you ladies latter.”

As he walked away, Cathy said, “You know you just gave him your name, right?”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh shit.”

Cathy grinned at me. “But I think I know what’s going on. He likes you. And he knows he won’t get in your panties if you consider him a bully. So he’s pulling this act.”

I frowned. “Well, I’ve got news for him.”

I shuddered. The thought of being with any boy disturbed me. But the thought of Ace touching me, at all, thoroughly disgusted me.

Cathy shook her head. “Well, just ignore him if you can. Maybe he’ll take the hint.”

“I hope so,” I said with a sigh.

Smiling, Cathy said, “Hey, I know a few boys you might like. They’re cute and usually nice. If you want, I could introduce you to a few.”

I thought, oh God no. I shook my head slowly. “Thanks. I just don’t think I could handle a boy right now.”

Cathy nodded. “Let me know when you want to get back into dating. A couple of these boys have even asked about you.”

Oh jeez. “I’ll let you know.”

Cathy checked her phone. “Crap. We’re going to be late. See ya.”

We both hurried off to join the stragglers entering the school.

*          *          *

I was sitting at my desk in my room when my cell phone rang. I looked at the display and saw it was Cathy calling. I pressed the button for speaker phone. “Hey Cat. What’s up?”

“I got some exciting news!” she exclaimed over the phone.

I kept working on my homework. “Oh? Like what?”

“Colton asked me out!” Cathy giggled.

I looked at the phone on my desk. “Hey that’s great. You’ve been crushing on him for a while.”

Cathy was silent for a few seconds. “There’s just one thing.”

A sudden feeling of dread came over me. “Dare I ask?”

“Please, Jenn. I’m just asking this one favor,” Cathy pleaded.

“Do do what?” I almost yelled.

“Colton has one condition for us going out.” I heard Cathy suck in a deep breath. “He’ll only go out with me, if you go out with his friend.”

A growing anger in my voice, I said, “Cat, you know I don’t want to date. Who does he want me to go out with?”

There was a long pause.

“Ace.”

“What!” I shouted. “You can’t be serious! I can’t stand him! So no. No way in hell.”

“Please, Jenn?” begged Cathy. “I’ve been wanting him to ask me out for ages!”

“Cat… Ace is using you to get to me.” I was not happy. “I bet Ace had to talk Colton into asking you out.”

Cathy huffed. “That’s rotten thing to say.”

I sighed. “I’m sorry. But why would he ask you out of the blue and with that condition attached?”

“I don’t know. Why does anybody ask anybody out?” There was another pause over the phone. “I’m just asking this one favor. Would it really kill your soul to go on a date with Ace? I’m not asking you to marry him. Besides, maybe you’ll like him.”

I laughed without humor. “He’s an asshole.”

Getting testy, Cathy said, “All boys are assholes. Please? It’s just one evening. We’re going to that new Tommy Kincaid movie, The Great Vegetable Rebellion.”

I closed my eyes tightly shut and gritted my teeth. Why was she asking me this? She knows I don’t like this guy. She knows nothing will come of going on a date with her crush. But it seems really important to her and she’s my best friend. I know I’m going to deeply regret my next words.

I sighed heavily. “Okay Cat. You win. I’ll go. But you’ll owe me, big time.”

“Woo hoo! Thanks so much!” shouted Cathy. “It was the movie that sold you, right? No girl can resist Tommy Kincaid.”

I have no idea who Tommy Kincaid is.

*          *          *

I went over to Cathy’s house the night of our date. Cathy helped me with my make-up. We’d get picked up at her house. Cathy’s mom begrudgingly agreed to take me back home instead of Ace dropping me off. The last thing I wanted with Ace was a romantic good-night on my front porch.

Cathy held up a mirror so I could see my “evening” make-up she had so masterfully applied to my face. “That looks great, Cat. Thanks.”

Cathy grinned. “You’re welcome. I think I’ve armed you with everything you need to know about make-up so you can do this yourself.” She set the mirror down and checked the time on her phone. “Thanks again, Jenn for doing this for me. It means a lot.”

I shrugged. “You’re welcome too, I guess. I’m really not looking forward to this date with Ace.” In complete honesty, I don’t want to be dating any boy. I supposed that will change eventually. The government did tell us that over time, mind and body would come together. “No way I can talk you out of it?”

Cathy shook her head. “Nope. I’m planning on having fun tonight. Maybe you should lighten up.”

I laughed. “You’re not the one going out with Darth Maul.”

The doorbell rang.

Cathy giggled. “Maybe you should date Caleb. He’s into all that Star Trek stuff.” She looked at herself in the mirror to check her make-up. “They’re here. Try to look happy.”

From the living room, Cathy’s mom called, “Cathy!”

Cathy chuckled as we entered the living room. “We heard the doorbell, Mom.” She waved in the direction of the door. “Hey guys!”

Colton grinned at us from the front porch. “Hey girls. You guys ready?”

Cathy walked through the front door. “We were born ready!”

I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

Ace laughed and looked at me. “I think we’re in trouble, Colton.”

Cathy’s mom pointed at Colton. “Be back no later than ten thirty.” Mom said I needed to be back by eleven. Cathy’s mom was going to drive me home.

Colton nodded. “Yes ma’am.” He looked at us. “Okay, let’s go.”

Colton took Cathy’s hand and led her to his car. Ace extended his hand and I silently condemned the designer of the denim skirt I was wearing to hell for not having pockets to stuff my hands into. So I slowly reached out and with a grin, Ace took my hand.

Colton’s dad was sitting in the driver’s seat of a silver color minivan. He opened the side door and we all climbed inside, with Ace and I taking the rear seat. He waved. “Hey guys.”

Colton turned to look at Ace and I as we got settled in the rear seat. “Dad’s just going to drop us off and then come get us when we’re ready to leave.” The van pulled away from the curb and we were on our way.

Ace sat as close to me as he could and put his arm behind me and rested it on the seat back. I rolled my eyes at him and he just laughed. “Hey, I gotta put my arm somewhere.” I know where he could put his arm.

I sat there with my arms folded and glared at him. Finally he pulled his arm back. “Okay, you win.”

I stopped glaring, but honestly, I just felt I couldn’t relax. Maybe I was just over-reacting. I sighed. Why did my first date with a boy have to be with Ace?

He leaned back. Ace always looked like he was relaxed. “So, I hear you’re a foster. How did you wind up there?”

I looked at him sideways. “I murdered my parents and fed the pieces to our Chihuahua.”

Ace laughed. “That must be a big Chihuahua.”

I grinned. “It is now.”

Ace shook his head. “You don’t want to talk about it. I get it. Just trying to make conversation.”

I gave Ace a cold stare. “My parents are dead. There was no family to place me with. Satisfied?” I wonder if I’ll ever be allowed to say what really happened? At this point, would I want to?

Ace raised his hands defensively. “Okay okay. I’m sorry. But now I know why you’re such a moody chick.”

The minivan rolled to a stop at the mall’s entrance. “Final destination. Everybody out,” announced Colton’s dad. “Give me a ring when ready for a pickup.” The side door of the van slid open and we all stepped out.

No sooner than we were out of the van, Cathy latched onto Colton’s arm as if she was staking her claim. Maybe she was as there were quite a few pretty teen girls outside the mall entrance giving Colton the eye.

Colton said, “The line’s already starting to get long.” He started to walk towards the mall entrance.

Ace looked down at me and grabbed my hand. “Let’s go babe.” With a tug, he led me towards the mall entrance.

I still wasn’t all that sure about this movie date thing. Ace is paying my way. Will that entitle him to a snuggle during the movie? A kiss? A boob grab? I decided he’s not entitled to anything. It’s not like I asked him to pay for everything. He volunteered. I have to admit though; when I was dating girls years ago, I did expect a little affection in return for spending my hard-earned wages on the girl.

As we got in line, I had to smile looking at Cat. She was in heaven. She was clinging to her crush as if there were no tomorrow. Impossible to say if she’ll have another date with Colton, but he does seem to like her as he slid his arm around her shoulders.

Before I could react, Ace slid his hand through my hair to rest oh my shoulder. He tapped Colton on the shoulder. “I hope this is as good as Time Trap. He looked down at me. “Did you see that one?”

I shook my head. I wasn’t going to admit it, but I really don’t know who Tommy Kincaid is. I haven’t been to a movie in years.

Ace grinned. “Oh it was awesome. Maybe I’ll let you borrow my thumb-drive. There’s this one cool scene where he’s trapped in a time loop. He pops into a large room filled with skeletons and corpses…all of them copies of himself. He has to figure out how to break the time loop so this version of himself doesn’t die there too. It was cool.”

As we moved up closer to the ticket booth, I asked, “So how did he get out?”

Ace laughed. “I don’t want to spoil it for you!”

I started to feel a bit nervous watching Colton buy their movie tickets. I was about to pass a milestone in my new existence. Whether I like him or not, a boy is going to pay my way to a movie. I don’t know if other girls ever notice this transition in their lives, but I felt this, more than anything else so far, completely closes the door on my past life. I’m a teen girl, out on a date with a boy. Something that seems so extraordinarily ordinary to everyone but me.

There was a long line forming at the snack bar. Colton turned to us. “Ace and I will get the popcorn and shit. Why don’t you girls wait for us over by the restrooms?”

Cathy nodded. “I need to go anyway. So do you, Jenn.”

I shrugged. “I’m fine.”

Cat tugged on my shirt. “You need to go too, Jenn.”

I grinned. “I guess I need to go.”

Once in the restroom, Cathy started checking her make-up in the mirror. We were alone for the moment. She looked at me. “What do you think, Jenn? I think Colton likes me.”

I nodded. “He seems to. Colton seems very nice. He’s very cute.”

Cathy beamed. “I think so too! I’ve dreamed of this day for so long. I can’t believe I’m on a date with Colton.”

I shook my head. I’d seen this before with my own daughter. “Don’t get your expectations too high, Cat. Don’t forget, he only asked you so Ace could take me out.”

Cathy frowned. “You’re killing my vibe, Jenn. I don’t care *why* he asked me out. Just that I’m out with him now and I think he actually likes me.”

I tried to sound encouraging. “I hope you’re right, Cat. Colton is definitely boyfriend material.”

Satisfied that her make-up was perfect, Cat looked seriously at me. “What about you and Ace?”

I frowned. “There is no me and Ace. There’s me. And then there’s Ace. I’m only on this fiasco to help you.”

I found myself leaning towards the mirror to check my own make-up. Cat asked, “You don’t think it’s going good? Ace seems nice.”

I turned from the mirror and said sourly, “He’s a bully and he beats up people.”

Cathy turned to exit the restroom. “Well, he’s not beating anybody up right now.”

I took one last glance in the mirror and followed Cathy out of the restroom.

The guys were still in the snack line, so we just decided to wait by the ticket taker. I saw Caleb standing to one side with a girl who looked like she was out of high school. I watched them talk for a moment, and then the girl got in the snack line. Caleb saw me and waved. Then he started walking in my direction.

“Hey girls,” Caleb greeted us with a grin. “Going to see a movie?”

Cathy rolled her eyes and grinned. “Dork.”

I nodded. “We’re seeing The Great Vegetable Rebellion.”

Caleb laughed. “Us too. I heard it was good. Girls just love Tommy Kincaid. My sister has a major crush on him.”

I pointed towards the snack bar. “That’s your sister?”

Caleb nodded. “Yeah. We both wanted to see the movie, but I don’t have any money. I was behind you in the ticket line. So is Ace your boyfriend?”

I felt my face flush. “No! No, not at all. I’m only here because Cat talked me into it.”

Caleb looked at his feet. “That’s cool if he is. Girls always seem to go for the bad boy type. Just surprises me since you got his friends to stop beating me up.”

I sighed heavily. “Caleb, listen to me now and hear me later. Ace is not. I repeat, is not my boyfriend!”

Caleb nodded. “If you say so.”

Cathy tilted her head and said, “Shhh!”

A moment later, Colton and Ace walked up carrying our snacks. Ace frowned at Caleb.

Ace sneered, “Get lost, runt. I don’t like dweebs talking to my girl.”

Caleb looked at his feet again. “I need to go anyway.” Caleb’s sister had just left the snack bar.

Ace’s eyes went wide when he saw Caleb join his sister as they headed to the ticket taker. “How in hell does a doofus get a bodacious college chick like that?”

Cat started to say something until she saw me shaking my head. Adding a little acid to my voice, I said, “I don’t like my date ogling older women.”

Ace laughed. “I’m allowed. Come on. The movie’s about to start.” He handed me my drink. Apparently we’re going to share a big tub of popcorn.

I have to say it torqued me that I’m not allowed to talk to another boy, but it’s okay for him to look at other girls? That’s messed up.

Colton found four seats together near the middle of the theater. As we started to sit, I saw Caleb about four rows up behind us. I waved and he waved back.

Ace saw me and frowned. “What did I tell you?”

I whispered as I sat down next to him, “You don’t own me.”

Ace frowned again. “You’re my girl.”

Rather than start a fight, as the first trailer started to run, I just took a long sip on my soda. I kept thinking how much Cathy is going to owe me for this.

Cat and I sat next to each other, with Colton sitting on Cat’s left and Ace on my right. I have to say that at first, everything was going good. I felt vaguely secure with the tub of popcorn sitting on Ace’s lap but where we could both share it. The start of the movie was pretty exciting with an incredible action sequence. I could see now why girls all loved Tommy Kincaid. He was hot.

About midway through the movie, I saw Cat slide closer to Colton and snuggle against him. Colton put his arm around her and if it was possible, she’d be living up to her nickname and be purring. I’m sure Ace was expecting the same thing.

He finally set the tub of popcorn down, stretched and made the move I’d been expecting all evening. He set his arm down along the seatback behind me. He started playing with my hair. When I didn’t slide over next to him, he placed his hand on my shoulder and tried to pull me over to him.

He tugged on my shoulder and whispered, “Come on, babe. Let’s get some snuggle time.” I gave in and laid my head on his shoulder. He played with my hair for a bit before sliding his hand down to rub my arm.

I glanced over at Cat. She was definitely enjoying her date more than I was as she and Colton were trying to swallow each other’s tonsils. I’m sure Ace wanted some of that action as well. But if I had to snuggle against him, I was content to just use Ace’s shoulder as a pillow as I watched the movie.

Suddenly, I felt a hand fall on my breast. Oh hell no. I reached up and quickly pulled Ace’s hand from my breast. I heard Ace snicker. And then his hand fully cupped my breast and he squeezed it. I jumped up and before he could react, I slapped him.

“Don’t touch my breasts, you asshole!” I screamed in the crowded theater.

“You’re making a scene,” hissed Ace. “Sit down!”

I continued to stand. “No! I’m leaving!”

“Shut the fuck up down there!” Someone shouted several rows behind us.

Ace grabbed my arm. “You’re my girl, and I’m telling you to sit down!”

I tried to pull my arm away from his grasp. “You’re hurting me.”

Ace suddenly let go of my arm as soda and ice unexpectedly went splashing down on his head.

“What the fuck?” growled Ace.

Behind him stood Caleb holding an empty cup over Ace’s head. “She said don’t touch her.”

Ace snarled at Caleb. “Well, look who finally decided to grow a pair. You are so going to regret that.”

About that time two mall cops show up, shining flashlights in all our faces. “What’s going on here? We got a call of a disturbance.”

Caleb’s sister pointed at Ace. “That boy tried to molest this little girl. My brother put a stop to it.”

One of the mall cops shined his flashlight on me. “Is this true, miss?”

I looked down at my arm. “Crap. Look at that bruise starting to form. Yes it’s true.” I scowled at Ace.

Ace stepped towards me. “Bitch!”

The two cops moved to restrain Ace. One of the cops looked to me. “Do you wish to file charges, miss?”

I was royally pissed. But just how big of a mess did I want to take this? I narrowed my eyes at Ace. “Do you swear to leave me and Caleb alone?”

Ace just scowled at me.

“Miss?” prompted the cop.

After waiting longer than I should, I turned to the cop. “Yes. I’ll press char…”

Ace almost sounded like he was about to cry. “Yes! I swear. I’ll never touch either of you again.”

The cop raised his eyebrow at me. “Are you sure, miss?” I nodded. The cop looked to Ace. “Follow us, sir. We’ll escort you to the exit. We’ll need to see some ID. You’ve earned a permanent ban from the mall.”

Cathy run up to me and gave me a hug. “Oh, I’m so sorry, Jennifer! This was all my fault!” Colton was standing by the wall, with his head hanging down.

“It’s my fault, Cat,” I said as I hugged her back. “I was stupid.”

I saw Caleb start to move away. I reached out to him. “Caleb! Thank you so much!”

Caleb smiled weakly towards me. “You’re very welcome, Jennifer.”

Caleb’s sister stepped up to us. “Let me get you guys some dinner. I know emotional upheavals always make me hungry.”

I smiled at her. “Thank you.”

“I want my money back!” came a shout from behind us.

*          *          *

The school found out about Ace’s antics and gave him a three day suspension and a month of detention. Part of me felt I should feel sorry for him since I was involved in the whole mess. But I just couldn’t bring myself to have any sympathy. Ace wouldn’t look at me in the hall.

Dad wanted to take a baseball bat to Ace. I’ve never seen Dad so angry. Zach offered to help Dad as he said “nobody treats my sister that way!” Happily they both decided Ace wasn’t worth going to jail over.

Oddly enough, Cathy and Colton are still dating.

As for Caleb? Well, he and his mom picked me up today to go to an anime convention in town. I just wore “holey” jeans and a DragonBall Z t-shirt. I hadn’t been to a con since my college days.

“Having fun?” asked Caleb as we walked through the dealer room at the con. He was holding my hand.

“This is great!” I laughed. “I love watching all the cosplayers. You should have dressed up!”

Caleb laughed. “Maybe next year.” He looked at the schedule sheet. “Let’s head over to viewing room one. There’s a new anime about to premier there.”

The room was filling up fast so we hurried to seat. Caleb continued to hold my hand as the video started. I have to admit that I was really enjoying being with Caleb.

I watched Caleb laugh at some crazy antics on the screen. I couldn’t help but smile as I looked at him. Yes, he’s a dork. But he’s my dork. On a sudden impulse, I leaned in and kissed him. He gave me a shocked look. He then bent down and gave me a kiss that tingled all the way to my toes.

I decided I liked being a girl.

*          *          *

It was my first Thanksgiving holiday as a girl. I was helping Mom, of course, in the kitchen. Dad and Zach were in the living room watching some football game. I vaguely remember a time when I watched a game with my dad while mom was in the kitchen by herself. It was a dark and gloomy day with a little drizzle thrown in.

I was making mashed potatoes… yes, real mashed potatoes when I heard Dad yell from the living room.

“What the crap is this? Why are they interrupting the game?” exclaimed Dad.

I walked into the living room to see what the commotion was about on the TV.

Dad pointed at the TV. It was a breaking news announcement. “Will you just look at that?” Dad shook his head. “What is the world coming to?”

Accompanying the video of some kid lying on the ground, the voice on the TV said, “Outrage tonight as federal agents apparently gunned down an eight year old boy in the streets of San Francisco and then just left him to die as the boy begged for help. The agents all appeared to be deathly afraid to even venture near the fallen boy. A nineteen year old woman was also lying nearby on the ground crying hysterically. It is not known at this time if she’s related to the boy. FBI spokesman was quoted saying …”

I stopped listening. They finally got him. The rat bastard that not only caused upheaval in my own life, but for hundreds or more, across two continents. The real eight year old boy is now going to have to deal with being a teenage girl. I wonder if word will ever get out about how that lunatic was able to swap bodies and create so much havoc? I’m glad he’s stopped, but that doesn’t help me. I’m stuck as female for the rest of my life.

Mom stroked my hair as she watched the news event. “How could they do that to a little boy?”

I wanted to tell her and Dad, but they wouldn’t believe me. And while that bastard is the reason I was standing there holding a bowl of mashed potatoes, I wasn’t angry at him. Not now. I have a Mom and Dad who loves me. A dorky brother and an even dorkier boyfriend. I wouldn’t go back to my old life if you paid me.

I was happy.

*          *          *

The End

up
259 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cute

erin's picture

Thanks for a good one, Melanie. :)

I'm tempted to write a side-quel, a kind of fanfic/story set in the same universe following someone else. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Fanfic

Melanie Brown's picture

That’d be cool. I’ll look forward to it.

Melanie

A good read to be sure!

I'd read it for sure!

I've done at least one homage to another author in the past, (I made sure that she knew about it too) :)

That is how universes are created, is it not? :)

"I was happy."

cute !

DogSig.png

Different !

A very enjoyable read. The good guy got the girl for a change.

Gill

Pretty cool

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

You are really inventive with transformations and swaps. This is a very cool one.

- io

Way cool TG sci-fi

Well done, believable story line. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Really made me feel for all of the victims.

>>> Kay

I wouldn’t go back to my old life if you paid me.

Lucy Perkins's picture

And that makes this a lovely story!

A happy ending for Jennifer, which is all any of us can ask for.
By the way, did you catch the Tommy Kincaid series on Netflix? Really enjoyed the Return of the Ninja Cheerleaders..( or did I dream that one?)
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Netflix

Melanie Brown's picture

Well, Tommy Kincaid is the busiest actor in Hollywood...

Melanie

Cool. Another awesome story.

WillowD's picture

I think this story makes a good premise for a universe full of stories. I look forward to Erin's.

I had a few difficulties with it

Sadarsa's picture

It was a really good story after she got into school, but i gotta say i was totally unconvenced of the way the government handled the victims. Authorized deadly force just to calm down some panicky victims? While our government has it's problems it certainly hasn't fallen into fascism just yet. Threatening victims with imprisonment? No representation in court? Not giving any other options beside prison or foster care?

Yeah... that whole setup was just so far-fetched that i couldn't get into the story until after she finally started school.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Story elements

Melanie Brown's picture

If you remember in the story, they do try to place children with their families first. If they can't, they go to foster care. The threat of prison or juvenile detention is to try to keep them in line. They did have legal representation, it was just expedited as they really no idea what to do with these people. We don't see them, but there are hundreds of victims, some adult to adult, adult to minors, minors to adults, infants to adults and adults to infants as well as a change in gender. The story mentions they don't have fully formed policies and they are going on policies created by the EU until they can figure out how to handle things. The display of lethal force was used to quiet the group down as they were on the verge of a riot.

The story didn't explore how adults and "new" adults were discharged.

I had originally planned to have Jennifer go to her ex-wife's and live for a few weeks until she decided it just wasn't something she could do. And I was going to have the original parents of Jennifer consider at first taking her in. But in the interest of time and pacing, I decided to just have that discussed in court "off-camera."

The story line offers a great deal to explore and I plan to have at least one more offering that doesn't involve an underage character.

Melanie

Recognize

I think we all recognize part of the inspiration for this story. I reread Chalker's Identity Matrix only last year, myself. I like your take on the thought, though I could have wished you spent more time bringing the poetry you so often imbue your stories with. No matter, it is excellent.

Since you responded favorably to Erin's musings about doing a "side-quel" (lovely word coinage) to this story, would you mind terribly if I also attempted such a thing? I promise to bring all my skills as a well-known kinkster to the project.

In fact, I've already written a thousand words and the transmentated MC is hiding under a thornbush at this moment. Dear me, shall we hope she does not get pricked or that she does?

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Side-quel

Melanie Brown's picture

If you want to, go ahead. I'm in the middle of writing another story in this universe myself

Melanie

Thanks

I'm not sure when I'll be done but at least she's no longer under the thornbush.

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine