A Conversation With Mother – Shopping Trip

Printer-friendly version
clothes_0.JPG

As I walked down the stairs of Theobalds Grove station, I felt scared and thrilled. I was a girl. I had seen my reflection I really looked pretty. All the same I was waiting for someone to leap at me and scream;

“Look, that boy is wearing a dress!”

As we walked down the high street, with my hand in my mothers, I realised nothing was going to happen. She looked down at me and smiled.

“We are going to buy you a new dress. Would you like that Debbie?”

“More than ice cream mummy.”

“You will have to try dress’s on in the shop, but don’t worry, you look so sweet, no one will know our secret. If you’re a good girl, you can have an ice cream too.”

As we passed shop windows, I couldn’t help catching our reflection in the windows. I saw a beautiful woman, holding her little girls hand. I was used to shorts, but a slight breeze blew up my dress and around my thin knickers.

We arrived a Woolworths, mummy was about to open the door when a man with a hat on rushed in front and opened it for us.

“After you ladies.”

“Why thank you” my mother replied.

He tipped his hat, smiled at me and winked.

“I can see where your daughter gets her good looks from madam.”

“That’s kind of you, but we must rush, busy day.”

We walked into the shop, my mother’s heels clicking on the polished wooden floor.

“Did you know that man mummy?”

“No, men like to talk to pretty ladies, and we are two very pretty ladies.”

We went and looked at the clothing section. I was staring at the party dresses. They were fluffy frilly things that reminded me of birthdays and cakes.

“Would you like to try one on?”

“Could I? Will they let me?”

“Ladies try clothes on all the time, how do we know if they look good unless we try?”

“When you buy me shorts and shirts I never try them on.” I whispered.

“You don’t really need to with boys clothes, but girl’s clothes have such wonderful colours and fit differently, you need to try them on first.”

“Which dress do you want to try, choose one; I will pick out a nice normal dress for you.”

I picked out a blue party dress that had layers of soft blue nylon on the skirt. It had big puffy sleeves, and white lace around the edges.

My mother picked out a yellow checked cotton dress, the top of which had no sleeves. I could hear the party dress rustle as she opened the curtain to the changing room.

She unzipped my sailor dress and slipped the party dress over my head. I turned to let her zip me up. I looked in the mirror and saw a princess. I had always had dreams about being a princess. The lace on the puffy sleeves tickled my upper arms as I moved. The soft nylon tickled my legs. I was so aware of this dress. I twirled and saw the skirt rise and fall. I loved this dress.

“Can we buy it please mummy, please?”

“Sorry love, I know you like it, but when you are being my secret girl, I will be teaching you how to do housework and cook. That dress is not practical. Do you understand?”

I only knew that I loved the blue dress, but mummy was right I supposed. She gave me the yellow dress to try. While I was trying it on she showed me something else.

“How would you like these?”

“She held up the prettiest pair of knickers I have ever seen. They were soft and white, on the back and front there were rows of white lace. They looked like the party dress, only they were underwear.”

“Oh I love those, can I try them on.”

“No dear, you don’t try underwear on in shops. I know they will fit you. I will have to wash them before you wear them.”

It broke my heart when she hung the blue dress back on the rack, I glanced back at it as we made our way to the till to pay for my dress and new knickers.

Outside she knelt beside me straightening out my dress and hair and said,

“Since you were such a good girl, how would you like an ice cream?”

Dresses and ice cream, what more could a princess want?

Further down the high street was a new restaurant called a Wimpy. We went through the glass door and sat at a table. A waitress came over and asked my mother what she wanted to order.

“I’ll just have a coffee and a knickerbocker glory for my daughter.”

“Whats a kickerblocker glory mummy.”

“No, knickerbocker glory, it’s an ice cream, you will love it.”

My friends at school told me they had had something called hamburgers here, but not a knicker, whatever it was. I just thought about my new knickers in mummy’s bag, and how I wished I could wear them now.

The waitress came back with a tray. There was a huge tall glass full of ice cream with a cherry on top and a long spoon. She put my mother’s coffee in front of her, and the ice cream in front of me. My eyes were like saucers.

“Is this all for me?”

My mother looked at the waitress and said loudly,

“She was such a good girl at the dentist, having her check up, I promised her an ice cream.”

I could tell my mother was lying in case someone wondered why I wasn’t at school.

Soon I was attacking the ice cream with my spoon.

“Slow down dear, girls don’t eat like that. Slowly, carefully, we don’t want to spoil our nice clothes do we? I have so many things to teach you, and I think I’m going to enjoy every minute.”

Again I watched my reflection in the window, my legs peaking out under the edge of my skirt, kicking back and forth happily. Carefully eating ice cream. Just a lucky girl with the best mum in the world.

This was the best day of my life, I knew we had to leave soon, but I wished it would last forever.

xxx-wimpy-menu_0.jpg
up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Maximum Squee!!!

laika's picture

That really was the best day ever! A huge part of me will always be your heroine's age, and is still waiting for her princess party. Oh well, at least my inner little girl get this wonderful series!
~hugs, Veronica

We don't have Wimpy's in the US (there's a sandwich shop chain of that name but it's not associated) but our Los Angeles suburb getting one of the first McDonald's (at the time they had a creepy neon mascot with a hamburger for a head...) was treated like some major event. My love of their uninspired synthetic food was one of the few things I outgrew in biological adulthood (e.g their pre-packaged ice cream parfaits have never been either glorious or knickbockish...)

Hey Veronica, Woolworths was

leeanna19's picture

Hey Veronica, Woolworths was your idea. Wimpy were before Mac D's over here. They were a proper sit down restaurant. Still going here but smaller.
Mac D's came here in 74.

Wimpy is the brand name of a multinational chain of former fast food restaurants that has been gradually upgrading units to become casual dining style diners with table service since a change of ownership that occurred in 2007. The brand is headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa. The chain began in 1934 in the United States and was based in Chicago. The brand was introduced to the United Kingdom in 1954 as "Wimpy Bar".[1] Wimpy grew to approximately 1,500 locations in several countries before narrowing to a few hundred locations in two countries. Wimpy's worldwide headquarters was located in the United States and the United Kingdom before relocating to South Africa.

From Wiki, I used to go there when shopping as a boy sadly with my mum and nan.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Wimpy's

I remember seeing Wimpy's in the UK back in the day. I thought they were a poor imitation of American hamburgers. I'm not a big fan of McDonald's, and I don't know if they are the same overseas as they are here. I much prefer Burger King if I'm buying a fast food hamburger, though much better burgers are available from non-fast food restaurants.

Perfect!

Lucy Perkins's picture

What so many of us would have loved, way back in the '70s.
There was a dress in M&S that we walked past every time we went in the store. I had asked Mum if I could have it, and obviously not received a positive answer. A girl can still dream, and I did.
Lovely tale, I remember my first Knickerbocker glory too, and what gloop it was!
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Hi Lucy, when i was older I

leeanna19's picture

Hi Lucy, when i was older I went to collage. I would wait at a bus stop outside a sports shop. These was a dummy with a pair of super frilly tennis knickers on. I had to stop staring at them, couldn't help wonder how they would feel. Not brave enough to buy them.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Girls clothes.

Initially, I never felt the need to show off, if I put on girls clothes. I tended to internalise whatever femininity they induced and wore them privately in my shared bedroom, where my older brother also slept. Once I was caught at aged six, the femininity dreamland came crashing down on me and I was fourteen years six months before I wore girls clothes again as a transvestite prostitute living on the streets.

bev_1.jpg

I read you story, must have

leeanna19's picture

I read your story, must have been a mixed bag. Wearing what you wanted to feel like a girl, but also having to do what you had been forced to do before, just to survive.

All this because a 6 year said "I want to be a girl."

Although many GG have been through the same, still must have been very difficult. Glad your still here Beverly Take care xx

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Dang

Maddy Bell's picture

Wimpy and Woolworths in one chapter!

As a youngster, dining in a Wimpy was the bees knees! There certainly weren't the plethora of fast food joints, pubs and eateries there are now - fast food usually meant about 20 minutes wait or a bag of chips!

And Woolies, well it was a very sad day when they closed, the pick'n'mix was legendary, i used to buy most of my 45's there and bigger stores would have a really good canteen style cafe with proper food at reasonable prices. IIRC, they only did childrens clothing, Ladybird brand amongst the haberdashery and household goods.

My Mum and Nan always shopped in Coats an 'ats and BHS, again both sadly departed from UK high streets, sigh, happy days


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Hi Maddy I remember rumbaba's

leeanna19's picture

Hi Maddy I remember rumbaba's here's a blast from the past

xxx-wimpy-menu_0.jpg

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Blue party dress

Glenda98's picture

This can’t be the last we hear of the blue party dress?

Glenda Ericsson

Hi Glenda , I had a few

leeanna19's picture

Hi Glenda , I had a few stories on the go. I have ideas, I just can't bring myself to write them. yet today wrote two. If the moods takes me, the stories write themselves.

The conversation stories are short, so you are probably right.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Ice Cream Sundae

SammyC's picture

My sister doesn't remember this but when I was 6 and she was 4, we went shopping with our mother. It was probably school clothes for me for the upcoming school year (2nd grade). When it was apparent to me that my little sister was bored to tears and suffering from my hogging all of Mom's attention, I told her that if we were good, Mom would treat us to an ice cream sundae. At first she giggled with joy. But then her face clouded over and sniffling tears stopped us in our tracks.

Mom asked me why I was being mean to my sister. I told her about the ice cream sundae and Mom looked confused. That's when my sister blurted out "I want ice cream today!" I assured her Mom would treat us to an ice cream sundae. Indignant, she turned to us and cried, "But today is Saturday!!!!" Of course, Mom and I exploded in laughter. Which further infuriated my sister.

Later, being a good sibling, I let her have most of the ice cream sundae we shared at the Carvel's in the mall. So, I've always been a good sister. It's just that I was the only one who knew that back then.

Sammy

Hi Sammy, you should tell us

leeanna19's picture

Hi Sammy, you should tell us all your story of how you became the big sister. I would love to read it.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Coming Attractions?

SammyC's picture

Hey Leeanna, I'm currently working on my first contribution to BCTS (second sort of -- I wrote the foreword to Maryanne's Risky Endeavours). While it won't be autobiographical, it will include a big sister/little sister relationship that borrows liberally from real life. I would love to hear your thoughts about it when I eventually post it. Be kind. I'm new at this. By the way, my sister gets to read my writing first. She's a retired high school math teacher so she thinks I'm the second coming of Elena Ferrante. Yes, she's a great little sister. Ha ha.

Sammy

Thanks Sammy, that great. It

leeanna19's picture

Thanks Sammy, that great. It's really good to have a relationship with your siblings. My family don't know anything about this part of me.
I choose "The path of least resistance".

On an unrelated subject, I just read something on the Wimpey menu

"Bender the meaty frankfurtur" LOL I'm such a child.

It was a sausage they put cuts into so it formed a circle. Real high class

cs7.jpg
Leeanna