The Fa'afafine bill

Printer-friendly version

The Fa'afafine bill

Fa'afafine is a “third gender” in Polynesian culture, according to the Samoa Fa'afafine Association.
It has been a part of island life for as long as anyone can remember..When a boy is noticeably effeminate, he will likely be taught the traditional duties of Samoan women, which often means working within the house. In the past it was thought that this role was forced on them. There are contradicting stories. Some do indeed say that they were forced. Mostly it is voluntary though.

This is a fantasy story set in the U.K., in a world where there are fewer females being born. Western society has rigid social roles.
Housework is for women etc. Remember this is fantasy.

There is no underage sex is this story.

Please forgive spelling and grammar mistakes. It was edited by a kind girl to be, who offered her services. Thanks F .

Andrew's mother had been a bit weepy lately. He had overheard her talking to his father about

"Which one do we choose?"

They were arguing again.

"We need to do it now, before they are too old,"

His mother said.

"But none of the boys look or seem to be attracted to girls things, how do we do it? Should we even do it?"

"I need help around the house. I work 8 hours a day at that office. I need help! Unless you want me to give up working?. We won't survive on your wages."

"I know but..."

"That's the trouble with you men, you all want women, but seem to think iit's so bad to be one. You know I always wanted a daughter.
They get used to it and grow to love it. It's all legal since the Fa'afafine bill. There are 10 in the school already, and they are looked after. Any teasing is punished severely. Besides, who's going to look after us when we get old?"

"OK! Let's let the boys draw bloody straws then, I'm not choosing."

With that he walked out of the room.

"Fine," mum said, then went to the kitchen to cut a straw into lengths.

"Boys, come here."

The three brothers walked into the kitchen. John is the oldest 12, Andrew is 11 and Paul is 9.

"Right you three pick a straw from my hand."

"Why mum," said John.

"Just do it!"

All three boys pulled out straws. Anna said to John,
"Come with me, I need to tell you something."

I am Andrew, well I was then. This is my story of how I was turned from son to daughter.

First I need to tell you about the world I live in.

The birth rate of males is double the birth rate of females. It happened after the 2nd World War. For the first 10 years it did not have too much effect as so many men were killed in the war that there were enough women to "go around".

The scientist were baffled. They could find no reason for this worldwide problem. By the 1960's, there was a marked rises of men fighting, and sometimes killing, over women. Women were a precious resource.

This resulted in the government passing laws on what jobs women could do. They were mostly restricted to the old the traditional female work.
Nursing, secretarial or homemaker.

Someone suggested that relaxing the laws on homosexuality may help curb the problem. This helped only slightly, however with the relaxing of the laws it was noticed there were a rise in crossdressers "coming out". In areas where this happened it was observed the level of violence fell slightly.

It appeared that, although desperate, most men would not go with another man, but would go with another man if he looked like a woman.

Soon all laws against crossdressing in public were dropped. The government also offered free gender re-assignment surgery for those that wanted it. It was almost encouraged by the state.

This was still not enough. One MP after returning from a visit to Samoa, told the prime minister about the Fa'afafine.

Fa'afafine are people who identify themselves as being of a third-gender or non-binary role in Samoa.

In the past it was thought that if a family had more boys than girls or not enough girls to help with women's duties about the house, male children would be chosen to be raised as Fa'afafine. This does not seem to be the case mostly, though there are a few stories of Fa'afafine who say they were "forced," into taking the role.

Six months later the Fa'afafine bill was passed.
This meant that if a male child wished, he could be designated as female.
If the parents wished, a child could be designated female, even though the child did not wish to be a girl. Doctors would be legally obliged to prescribe hormones if the parents wanted

The only thing stopping this discission, was the age of the child. It was decide that parents could not legally change the sex of a child 13 years and over. The child was too set in his birth gender by that age.

"Nooooo, I won't. You can't make me,"

I heard John scream.

"I don't care, you will do as you are told. Now shut up while I call your grandmother. You are going there an Saturday to start learning how to be
a girl."

"No! I won't,"

John screamed. Mother slapped his face and he started to cry.

My mother, went into the living room and John ran into his bedroom. Being the oldest he had his own room. I shared with Paul. I followed and asked what was happening.

"She wants me to be Fa'afafine!"

I had seen some of the boys at school suddenly turn up wearing skirts like the girls. There were only a few. The one in my class, Susan, told me her mum and dad were making her do it. Now mum was going to make John be a girl.

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm running away,"

"Please don't, you can't."

I started to cry, I worshiped John. He taught me how to play football, fish and protected me from bullies.

I thought it through, if John ran away, I would probably be chosen, Or possibly Paul. I was protective of Paul. I hated the thought of him being sad.

So I said the only thing my 11 year old brain could think of. I would sacrifice myself.

"I'll do it, I'll be the girl!"

After we told mum and dad, they all looked relieved and happy.

"Thank you Andrew, it will be much easier now you have agreed to be a girl. You will stay with Nan for the next week. I have to get you some new clothes and dad has to decorate John's room,"

"Why is my room being decorated!"

"Well you will be moving in with Paul, your old room is your sisters now."

"No way, I'm keeping my room, it's mine."

"OK, when it is decorated, you can have it, but you will be wearing a cute dress and a nice pair of frilly knickers."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you can keep the room, but you will have to be the girl instead of Andrew"

"Alright fine."

He looked angry, but knew when to shut up.

"Mum, will I have to wear knickers?"

"You will wear everything that girls wear, don't worry, you will like it. I will get you a few things to wear tomorrow. You need to start being a girl and leaning about housework. You will stay at nan's for a week. You can start dressing as a girl then."

Saturday came around before I knew. Mother said that my brothers could play out with their friends. How I envied them.

It was half term and we had two weeks off school. I was not looking forward to going back. If mum had her way I would be wearing the girls uniform.

"Andrew, get your coat we are going to Nan's house now."

We left the house and as we took the 2 mile walk to my Nan's house, I felt like a death row inmate taking a walk to the gallows. I didn't know that at the time as I was only 11, but thinking back I had this sense of dread.

I just could not see any way out of this without upsetting a lot of people. I have been, and am now a "peacemaker". I put others before myself. Is that a feminine trait?

My mum held my hand, she had not done that since I was 8!

"I'm so glad you decided to be a girl, I think you will make a better girl than your brother. We are going to have so much fun and I have so much to show and teach you."

"Why do I have to stay with Nan for a week mum?

"It is so you can learn to start to be a girl without your brothers around. It will give you a chance to get used to it without your brothers distracting you."

"What if they laugh at me."

I started to well up.

"They won't, I promise you, they will know what will happen if they do.Trust me they will love having a sister."

"Will I have to go to school dressed as a girl?"

"Don't get upset, after you get to Nan's house you will start being a girl for good, there is no going back. I promise you will like it, though."

We arrived and my Nan hugged and kissed me .

"So you decided to come over to the better side of the two sexes then!"

I did not answer, I was dumbstruck that the women I trusted seem to think I was going to enjoy this.

My mum gave Nan a bag and said, "These are her clothes for the week, I have got a government grant from Fa'afafine dept. I will be buying her new clothes next week. I 'm going to keep some back for when we can go mother daughter shopping! I can't wait!"

She nearly squealed the last bit. I didn't fail to notice I was a "her" now.

"Before you go,what shall I call her, did you think of a name?"

Mum looked at me.

"I was thinking of Andrea, Is Andrea OK with you? I was going to call you Andrea if you were a girl and now you are."

"OK mum, I don't mind."

I think I had nearly given up now, this was really going to happen.

She hugged me and said,

"Be a good girl, do everything Nan says, and have fun!"

Then she left me to my fate.

"Right, upstairs and I'll run you a bath."

Ten minutes later I was sitting in a scented bath and Nan told me to wash my hair with the shampoo. Even the shampoo smelled of flowers.

Nan told me to come to the bedroom in just my towel, so I put it around my waist and left the bathroom.

"Right, lesson one, girls put their towels around their chest."

She lifted it further up and tucked it in over the top of my chest.

"Girls, worry that people will see their boobs, even when they almost haven't any."

On the bed were a white cotton vest with small pink flowers on, and a pair of white cotton knickers to match. Both had white lace around all the edges.

"Right, now Andrea, put your undies on."

I hesitated, this was it, no going back.

"Come on girl, knickers on, you have a lot to learn today."

I pulled the knickers up under my towel. One thing most women will know, but forget due to that fact they wear soft lacy clothes every day. Is that you can feel the lace on your skin as they slip up your legs. When they were up, I could even feel the lace around my legs as I moved. They were so soft. The vest felt just as good.

Nan saw my face and said ,

"You like them don't you? Well don't worry there are things that feel a lot nicer than that! If you are a good girl I will show you."

She opened a cupboard, I saw Three dresses and some skirts hanging in there.

"Right, this baby blue one looks nice."

She unzipped it at the back and told me to step in. I did and when I put my arms through short puffed sleeves she zipped it back up. How could I get out of this without help?

The dress flared out at he waist and had white lace trim on the short sleeves and the bottom of the skirt.

Next came the white socks, then the Mary Jane shoes.

She sat me in front of the mirror and spent the next 10 minutes brushing my hair. It straightened out enough for her to part it in the middle and pull it back into a ponytail. She added a blue ribbon to keep it in place.

My boy hair made me look like a metal guitarist, or so I thought. Now it made me look like a girl.

"Right, downstairs, time to teach you how to be a useful girl!"

"But what will Granddad say if he sees me"

"Granddad is away working on an oil rig, when he gets back he will love seeing his beautiful new Granddaughter.

As I walked down the stairs, I could feel my hair bounce, I could feel the lace on the sleeves of my dress tickling my arms, the dress' skirt lightly touching my knees and the tight legs of my soft knickers caressing my legs.

How do girls cope with all these feelings, wearing such soft, frilly clothes?

Is this what the rest of my life will feel like?

We went into the kitchen.

"Right let's bring you down to earth shall we? You can wash up. You will need this."

She handed me a bright yellow apron. When it was over my head she tied a big bow at the back.

I had never done this, I had seen my mum do it a thousand times, how hard could it be?

Nowadays, as I am well beyond "The other side of the fence" I realize how stupid it is that all men just don't do "women's work".

There is no reason for them not to. In fact, many do, those that live alone have no choice. They just don't advertise the fact. It is this silly attitude that some jobs are "women's work" and it is demeaning for men to do them. I'm sure it is just to make sure precious females stay mostly around the home where they are safe.

With some encouragement from my Nan I managed to cope with this task.

"There, you haven't burst into flames, have you? Right, next task is ironing."

She adjusted the ironing board to my height and brought in a basket of washing.

"You need to learn what needs to be ironed and what doesn't."

I went though the basket and held each item up. It was all her washing.

"That, my dear girl, is a suspender belt." .

"What's a suspender belt Nan?"

"It's what ladies use to hold up their stockings, dear. You will find some of those in the basket too. This is a great way of finding out what's in store for you as you grow up. You are too young for stockings, but we will go shopping later and I will get you some tights. They feel almost as good."

As I worked I learned about, blouses, dresses, panty girdles, full cut knickers, bras and petticoats. These felt so soft and smooth, I almost looked forward to wearing one.

I wondered why I had thought that?. I was a boy, why was I just going along with this?. I thought about it. I was being treated as someone special. I was having fun. I know some of the Fafa at my school were not happy about it, but once they were Fafa, they never changed back. I did not want to find out why. I assumed the threat of some horrible punishment awaited.

After I made poor job of the ironing nan said, "Don't worry you will get better, ask any women, there is enough ironing to last until the end of time. You will learn how to wash, separate colours and hand wash. There is a lot more to being a girl than wearing pretty clothes, Andrea. Now sit down and I will get you some milk and biscuits."

I went to sit on the chair..

"When you sit down Andrea, smooth your skirt under you."

She made me do this several times until I got it right.

"If you don't, you will sit straight on your bare legs and knickers, and you could end up with your skirt around your waist. Keep your legs together too, or people will see your knickers."

I blushed a little. I had done the same to some of the girls at school. There we only 23 girls in my school, they were always being looked at by us boys. I had a sudden thought, the boys would be trying to do the same to me in a few weeks!

I finished my milk as Nan came downstairs carrying a white girls coat with fluffy white fur around the sleeves and collar.

"Put this on, we're going shopping."

I hesitated at the front door, until now it had just been Nan who saw me like this. Now I was going into the big wide world.

"Come on, Andrea, you look fine."

Then off we went walking towards the bus stop.

As I walked my clothes seem to want to remind me they were there. I felt the cool breeze blow up under my skirt. The lace of my knickers tickled slightly as I walked. The hem of my skirt brushed my legs with each step. Would I ever get used to this?

At the bus stop Nan met her friend Else Davis.

"Who's this pretty young thing then."

"She's my grandchild, Andrea."

"But your daughter has three bo.....Oh, right. Well I could have sworn you were born a girl dear. You look so pretty. I am sure you will love being a young lady."

I was confused, I felt insulted that it only took a dress and brushing my hair to make me look like a girl. I also felt happy that she thought I was pretty.

The bus arrived and we were off to the shops.

Shall I continue this one?

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yes please!

Interesting scenario, please take it wherever it leads.
I’ll be looking forward to the next episode.

Yes, please

LookingGlass's picture

I vote in favor of continuing.

Interesting solution, but

Interesting solution, but unfortunately it does nothing to fix the lower birth rate of women they're going to have to resort to I.F. to solve the problem or the human race in this scenario is doomed.

The Fa'afafine bill Part 1

leeanna19's picture

Thanks, I have three ongoing stories at the moment. Not sure which one to continue. I have a few more ideas for stories. Perhaps I would be better off writing one off's.

I think a world like this would need IVF implantation of X chromosome sperm.
I learned about the whole Fa'afafine thing about twenty years back. I wished that could have been me. Typical crossdresser, wanted to say "But they made me do it" LOL

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Please

This needs to continue! Please!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Your decision

I think it is best for you to decide where to put your writing efforts. The story you want to write most Is likely to come out best (in my ideal world) and most likely to actually be produced.

Hugs Cheryl

Fa'afafine story

leeanna19's picture

hanks Cheryl, most of what I have been putting on here are stories I posted earlier on F/M. I have cleaned them up a little from the raw stories they were.

I posted "On the run", last night, that was new. It took nearly 3 hours straight to write check and format.

The Fa'afafine story could go on for a while, but there seems more interest in "The Offer". I have written another part for that explaining why the victim? is the way he is. After that not sure where to go.

I get an idea and attack my keyboard, perhaps I should stick to one at a time?

Leeanna x

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Continue?

leeanna19's picture

Thanks Cheryl, most of what I have been putting on here are stories I posted earlier on F/M. I have cleaned them up a little from the raw stories they were.

I posted "On the run", last night, that was new. It took nearly 3 hours straight to write check and format.

The Fa'afafine story could go on for a while, but there seems more interest in "The Offer". I have written another part for that explaining why the victim? is the way he is. After that not sure where to go.

I get an idea and attack my keyboard, perhaps I should stick to one at a time?

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Can’t wait

Glenda98's picture

For more, I hope there will be many more episodes!

Glenda Ericsson

well....

Snarfles's picture

We already have mRNA vaccines.... how difficult do you think it might be to recode that to bond to the stub of a tail on the Y chromosome? With all the GMO research, that's been going on for decades... it's something that might even eventually be weaponized.... how many countries could survive as only one gender?

Oh, please do continute,

I like "Offer", but this one is so much more to my tastes. I really would like to hear more about this whole story line, I had never heard of this before. I have read many stories about the "Two-Spirit" people from Native Americans, and stories about transgender people from the Philippines and Thailand, but never about Samoa. Please, Please, Please, Pretty Please, continue!

The Fa'afafine bill

leeanna19's picture

The Fa'afafine culture is very complex. We in the west tend to see gender as just male or female. This is from an Australian website.
"someone who didn’t feel the Fa’afafine spirit because it was forced upon him. He had a really abusive childhood."
"A mother might decide in a family of eight boys where there are no girls, they’ll choose one of the kids and raise that boy as a girl. For those who actually feel the Fa’afafine spirit, for example in my story Ymania and Phineas both felt that and both were raised as girls, whereas Leo didn’t feel it and his mother was trying to nurture that in him and he rejected it. "

So in some cases effeminate children are chosen, but not always.
This was the basis of this story.

Thank you all for the interest . I will add more .

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Continue?

leeanna19's picture

I will write some more tonight. I will be shorter than the first part, more should happen though.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna