Dress Codes

Printer-friendly version


This is a short story set in a world where gender roles and dress codes are very fluid.

code.JPG

“Terry get up. Terry get up!! You’ll be late for school.”

“Ok dad. Where are my clean panties?”

“There should be some in the drawer, if not can’t you wear boxers for a change?”

“I could, but I prefer panties.”

“Actually, Susan has an unopened pack in her drawer. I know they are girl’s panties but they are spandex, they should be comfortable. She only seems to wear boxers now.”

“If I wear a skirt today, will I have to wear tights?”

“Yes, the uniform code says, tights until spring. You can get away with socks in two weeks.”

“Well trousers today then. I’ll be down in a sec. Can I have toast.”

Simon popped two slices in the toaster and poured a glass of orange juice. They had to be quick. He was due to be at his job as a reception worker for the local council at 9 A.M.

He checked himself in the mirror. The round neck, blue, long sleeve dress looked quite smart. He wore black stockings and flat shoes. He found tights a little too hot because of the heating in reception was always turned up too high. That was the female employees fault, he always thought. He had tried the alternate uniform, but didn’t like the blazer and tie. He always felt like the tie was choking him.
.
He couldn’t understand how his wife could wear clothes like that all day, but then again she hated skirts and tights with a passion. He couldn't remember last time he saw her legs outside the bedroom.

Terry came down in his school uniform and sat at the table eating his breakfast.

“Are you going to watch Susan’s game tonight or are you coming straight home?”

“She’s one of the only two girls left on the team dad. She’s done so well. Not many girls are still in football teams at fourteen.”

“I wish I could be there myself. I do worry about her. Some of those boys can tackle pretty hard at fourteen.”

“Dad, she’s so fast. They’d have to catch her first.”

“Still, I’d be happier if she was on the netball team.”

“That’s mostly boys now too.”

“I know, but it’s not so physical. She won’t end up with a broken nose.”

When they arrived at school Terry walked in chatting to his friends Donna and Peter. Donna was dressed in trousers, shirt and blazer like Terry. Peter was in blouse, skirt and tights.

“Not seen you in a skirt for ages Peter.” Said Donna.

“I ripped my trousers climbing a tree yesterday. My other pair are too small. So, it will this until mum gets me a new pair.”

Debbie, Peters mother was wearing a sharp looking business suit. A pencil skirt with a well cut jacket.

“I’ll try to pick you up a new pair lunch time Peter. Quick in you go before the bell goes.”

She turned and walked away quickly. Her heels clicked on the tarmac as she walked to her car.

“Hey Simon. How the hell does she drive in four-inch heels? I have a two-inch pair, I can’t even do it in those.”

Rob was Simon’s age, thirty-five. He was wearing a strange combination of a checked lumberjack’s shirt, which showed his large muscled arms, and a short, leather skirt. His legs were hairless as usual. He went in for body building competitions at weekends.

“I know Rob, same with me. When I wear them, I have to keep a pair of flats in the car. Must be something to do with an XX chromosome. Anyway, why are you dropping Donna off. Tina normal does it.”

“I still have some time off from the construction company. Tina’s used her holiday up. I’m staying with Jackie the rest of the week.”

Simon wanted to kick himself. Jackie, Rod and Tin’s daughter had been in a work-related accident. He should have asked.

“Sorry Rob how is she, what actually happened?”

“She should be fine. It’s nothing major, just a broken leg. It was her own fault really. She was out with the crew last week in that storm. There was a power line loose at the top of a pole. The guys she worked with told her it was too dangerous, but you know what girls can be like in jobs like that.”

“Yes, always think they have something to prove. My Susan’s going to be like that I’m sure of it. That’s what being equal is all about though right? Showing we can be just as good as each other, not asking for specal treatment.”

“Yeah, but I still worry. I can’t help it. Her crew love her. She’s always first up a pole or digging a hole. I have had nonstop phone calls from them since the accident.”

Tina, Rob’s wife worked on the checkouts at the supermarket that Simon’s wife managed.

“If you want mate, I can ask Maggie to give Tina some time off.”

“No, Jackie will be fine in a few days. She'll be used to the cast by then. Thanks anyway. Who’d be a father of girls eh?”

“Yeah tell me about. “

NOTE
In this world there are dress codes, trditional male or female variations, but you can choose whatever one you want and no one cares.
Anything that isn't part of a dress code, like underwear is up to you. The father wearing a mix wasn't working so his choice.
The best thing is no one cares.

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Please send me there,

It sounds like Paradise. Very nicely done.

Thanks Holly. I was trying to

leeanna19's picture

Thanks Holly. I was trying to think how a totally equal society might be. XY people will usually have a physical advantage over XX, so if sports were mixed they would in the more physical sports favor men. There was an all male netball team in Australia recently won the school championship. Their school was "inclusive" There will be some sports where physical strength doesn't matter so much.

Women are earning more than men in plenty of relationships. The world is graduly changing. If we could only get over this hangup about clothes.

I often wonder if no one cared and we could all just dress and appear as we want it would solve a lot of problems

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Don’t know

If this is a dystopian world or just a better one... still, Leeanna is the best in this alternative worlds stories!

I can see Sweden being a bit

leeanna19's picture

I can see Sweden being a bit like this soon, perhaps minus the clothes.

Utopia for many readers here Dytopia for macho guys

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Sweden

Marianne 1965's picture

It was so funny reading this that l just had to reply. What you probably saw as a good joke actually happens to be my reality. I have been identifying as mostly female since early childhood and secretly crossdressing from 12. I broke out of the closet in 2014 after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease two years earlier.and came out fully at work in 2018. I started slowly changing my look to more feminime styles as acknowledging my female soul let me cope better with my illness. In the summer of 2020 our new CEO informed me l was welcome to the office presenting any way I felt comfortable with! And l took his offer to my heart. Because of my illness l will not pursue a medical transition and without that I cannot manage a constant good female presentation. So I live as very gender fluid, playing over the entire spectrum between male and female in my day to day appearance, much like the people in the story. Did I forget to say I'm Swedish?!

Marianne 1965

That's really a coincidence

leeanna19's picture

That's really a coincidence Marianne. I can understand why you be spured on by being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. It brings life into focus. My niece has it. She wasn't too keen on having kids. When diagnosed she traveled the world for 6 months, gave up her job as a solicitor and had 3 children.

Huntington's is in my family. My father was one of 3 brothers. Two died of it. My own father wasn't diagnosed until his late 60's, so there is a 50/50 chance I have passed it on to my 3 son's. My younger brother had it, he died 5 years ago. He had a heart attack though. They can give you a very accurate test to she if you have the gene, but I don't want to know.

If you knew you were going to die by being run over by a bus, you could live where there are no buses. No lifestyle changes will change this outcome. It's a 50/50 lottery. My oldest son was going to get the test, but didn't. My youngest brother did. Found out he had the gene, and it affected his life. he used to smoke weed constantly, I'm sure the unfiltered smoking caused his heart attack..

I just pray if I do have it it will be late onset. You have around 15 years before it kills you. Everytime I developed a stress twitch I think it's starting. It is what prompted me to be Leeanna whenever I could. I do it in totally secrecy . I do have several holidays on my own every year, and I travel a lot with work. I knew what I wanted to be when i was 5. Back in the 60's they would have probably tried to electrocute it out of me.

My lable is really a crossdresser. (I hate labels, they put a vast range of people in one boxes, despite massive differences) So what is the same as a guy that wears his wife's underwear for fun while she's shopping. It's a lot more complex than that.(not that I would judge that, whatever floats your boat)

I'm sorry if I've rambled on. At least one positive thing came out of your diagnosis. I hope you have more good days than bad with you Parkinsons. It can be cruel. I hope you find happiness on the days you can be your true inner self.

xx

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

"She won’t end up with a broken nose."

Daphne Xu's picture

... or a concussion. But wouldn't she be wearing a helmet?

I was confused about the dress-coding here. What was allowed and what was required?

-- Daphne Xu

Hi Daphne, what I was going

leeanna19's picture

Hi Daphne, what I was going for was based on some schools uniform requirements. They list boys and girls uniforms. Girls often have a summer uniform. When I was at school it was a light dress with socks.

One hot summer a few years back a few boys wore shorts and were sent home. So a few came back in regulation school skirts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/teenage-boys-wear-s...

This has happened a few times. The schools a treadind a fine line with discrimination. Some schools have banned skirts for girls altogether.

In this world there are dress codes, but you can choose whatever one you want and no one cares.Anything that isn't part of the code, like underwear is up to you. The father wearing a mix wasn't working so his choice. The best thing is no one cares.

cs7.jpg
Leeanna

Dresses in Hot Days

Daphne Xu's picture

I read a few news stories about those protests. One of my stories here is a lyrics parody based on them. The original was about the terror of a 1950s girl going out for the first time in a bikini: Folded-Pleated, Creamy-Khaki.

-- Daphne Xu