Aftermath 16

Printer-friendly version


Aftermath 16

“That too. Rumor has it, Col. Abernathy the commander of the 4th is going to retire soon. I know you are the most qualified. Maybe you'll get it.”

About 2:45 Cassie showed up. “Ready to bail on out of here. Here, I brought you something to wear home.” She was in uniform. Zoey had told me that she was now the SPS commander. She handed me a bag. I stepped into the bathroom.

She had enclosed a pair of panties, a bra, Jeans, t-shirt, socks and shoes. I slipped off my hospital gown, then dressed. It seems that I must have lost weight. As I don't remember these jeans fitting so loose. It took me all of 10 seconds to get used to the bra.

Coming out, Whitney was there with a wheelchair. “Have a seat, Baby face. You get the royal treatment today.”

Sitting down. Whitney wheeled me to the elevator, with Cassie right behind us. I got a smile on my face. I was with my two best friends. She wheeled me out the front door to Cassie's waiting car. It was fantastic being out in the Florida sun again. The fresh air was great. What took the cake. Is while getting into the car. I heard a Hurky take off. The sound gave me goose bumps. I can just remember the feeling of pulling back on that wheel and climbing into the sky.

Whitney got in the back seat.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“What does it look like, With you guys. I need to make sure my patient gets settled.”

Alright I am raising the BS flag. But kept my mouth closed. On our way out the gate, I see the Herky flying across in front of us. Cannot wait till I get back behind the controls of mine. But if I take the squadron command I may not be flying as much. Then I would be home with my Zoey more. Watching her grow more into a woman.

I remembered the way, driving it a few times. I smiled as we turned into the entrance to our subdivision. The tree lined street was one of the reasons I chose this house. Knowing that Marcus would have loved it. I started hearing the waves crashing. which was another love for the house. We rounded a corner and turned up my drive way. I just stared at the house. It was beautiful.

“Well Baby face, you got sprung from the joint.”Cassie said. “I dropped Zoey off this morning she was going to make sure everything was up to your standards.”

“I'll save my white glove for a later day. I just want to relax in my own home.” I commented.

“That is our Brie.” Whitney added.

Walking to the front door. “And what does that mean?”

“You haven't changed.”

“I'm not that bad am I”

Cassie and Whitney say at the same time. “No comment”

Getting out of Cassie's car. I look around at mine and Zoey's house. Our Lawn, behind the house at the Gulf of Mexico. Tears welled up. Marcus would have loved this house. We had planned on using his combat tour pay for the down payment on a house. Once he got home. Yet, 37 days before he was to leave. He was killed. I cried.

“Hey, What's up?” Whitney asked.

“Nothing, Just thinking of Marcus. I know he would love this house as much as I do.”

“Brie, Remember Marcus is always with you. Everywhere you go.”

Softly, “Yeah, I know he is.”

As we walked up to the door, Zoey came rushing out the door. “Mom, You are finally home.” She grabbed me in a hug. Hugging her back. I cried, holding on to my daughter.

“I love you so much, Zoey Marissa West.”

“I love you to mom.”

Finally letting Zoey go. She took my hand. “Welcome home, Mom.” leading me into the house.

It was the same as I remembered. Except for the moving boxes where gone. Zoey, Riley, Susan, Whitney, and Cassie must have put everything away. Everything was perfect. I'm not changing a thing. A gentle breeze blew in from the gulf through the door wall.

“Riley suggested a welcome home surprise party. But I said no, maybe a few days after.” Cassie said.

“You are right it may have put too much of a strain on me.”

“Me and Aunt Cassie did some grocery shopping for us. So we have food in cupboards.” Zoey mentioned.

“Thanks, all of you.” I said. “Now to get back into routine.”

“I made sure that you have a full two weeks until you have to return to duty.” Whitney added. “Maybe as the Sdrn commander.”

“I'll make sure I at least visit the Squadron in the next couple days. I bet I have a new flight crew.”

“I checked, You have 4 new crew. Including Co-pilot.” Cassie told me.

“OH, Swell. I will make sure I get with them when I go to the squadron. Maybe my whole team.”

“Brie Anna, cool it. You will do all that in time. Once you go back on duty. It is R and R for you. Maybe you and Zoey go away.”

“Maybe your right. Honey would you like to?”

“Sure Mom. It would be like old times.”

“Thanks guys. You know I appreciate everything both of you have done.”

“Any trouble give me a call.” Whitney said. “Especially with her.” She pointed at me.

“I will, Aunt Whitney.”

“Same here. Zoey any trouble from your mom. Give us a call.” Cassie also added.

“Geee thanks guys.” I giggled. “I love you too.”

Everyone giggled, said there good byes and left.

Me and Zoey began by getting the trucks out of hibernation. Only to find out that Steve had already done it. Both where ready to go. Zoey said that Uncle Steve had started just after I woke up. Knowing I would be back soon.

Grabbing the keys out of my purse. I opened the garage door. “Let's take a drive, I need to practice a little.”

“Are you sure, Mom.” Zoey asked.

“positive. We will only drive the subdivision.”

“OK,” Zoey got in passenger seat.

Climbing behind the wheel. I started up the truck. It had the same rumble as I remember. Putting the shifter in drive I pulled out of the garage. As soon as I turned on the street everything came back. You never forget. We drove the complete subdivision. In stead of heading back to the house I went out to the main road.

“Mom, what are you doing?”

“I am OK, Zoey. Everything is coming back. Let's get some dinner.” We took off down the road.

I turned towards the main gate. I pulled out my ID. I got inline behind a couple cars.

“Ah, Mom. Why are we going on base?”

“I remember that the O club had great sea food. Fresh at that.”

I moved up. Once it was our turn I pulled up the security police.

“ID?” He asked.

“Here you go.” I handed him my card.

“Thank you Col West. You may proceed” He handed back my ID and Saluted. I returned it and drove onto base.

I pulled into the O club parking lot. I parked right up front in Colonel only parking spot.

Me and Zoey walked in towards the dining room. It was like being home again. As we waited at the entrance to the dinning room.

The hostess finally came to seat us. “Are you a member or guest?, Ma'am.” She asked.

“Member, Col Brie Anna West.” I was ready with my ID. Being in plain cloths They usually ask for ID. I show it to the girl.

“Thank you ma'am. Two tonight.”

“Yes, just us two.”

“ Follow me please.” She lead us to our table for tonight.

We were lead to a table with a wonderful view of the flight line and gulf beyond. We placed our drink order with the hostess. While we looked at the menus. A couple AC-130s where doing touch and goes. I had already made up my mind on what to order. Fresh caught gulf tarpin and chips.

Putting down her menu, Zoey saw what caught my attention. “You miss it don't you, Mom” She mentioned.

“Is it that obvious?”

“I am your daughter.”

Reaching across the table to take her hand. “That you are, my beautiful daughter.”

“Mom, stop embarrassing me.” She blushed.

“I could really do it. Stand up and announce to the whole place.”

“You would do it wouldn't you.”

I just smiled.

“Now I know you are back. I'll go hide now.”

I just giggled.

“Good evening. Ladies. I am Cyndi I will be taking care of you this evening.” Our waitress set down our drinks. “Are you ready to place your order?”

I looked at Zoey. She gave her cute nod. We both ordered the fish and chips. Like mother like daughter I guess.

While we waited for our dinner. An older man came up to us.

“Excuse me, are you Col West?” He asked.

“I am.”

“I am Col Abernathy, commander of the 4th SOS. I was told that you had came out of your coma and was released.”

“Yes, sir. Released just today.”

“I want to congratulate you on being the number 1 candidate to replace me. General Parker tells me that even with your recent medical problem. He wants you to take charge of the 4th.”

“Why thank you Col. I am flattered that the General has confidence in my ability to lead the 4th.”

“After looking at your 201. I agree with the General.”

“Thank you.”

“Good luck and welcome back.” He left.

Zoey just sat and watched as I talked with the Col. Being an officers daughter she knew better than to interrupt us.

“Mom, That is fantastic news.” She said.

“Yes, it is.” I answered. Smiling. I must have been glowing.

“So does that mean you will be home more?”

“Sure does, to keep a better eye on you.”

“I'm a good girl.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Jeez mom,”

I just giggled. “You are a good girl. Aunt Cassie told me that.”

All of my stories are purely fictional, the some places are real, some are not. The names and personnel used in all my stories, are also fictional. They may be based on people I knew but, Any resemblance to anyone living, dead, or un-dead are purely coincidental.

I write my stories as a fantasy. While based on this world. Things in my story could stretch reality. However I write my stories from my mind. I reserve all rights to my work. Any form of duplication without my permission is forbidden. Please enjoy reading them as I have in writing them.

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I keep waiting.....

D. Eden's picture

For everything to shift again.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Wow she DID get the squadron commander

Samantha Heart's picture

This is awsome & unfortunately less flying time more desk time but its a promotion to full bird col. 2 years or so away from brigadier general.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

If She Hadn't Done So Before...

...she now seems to have fit entirely into Brie's life, remembering Marcus's death and their house, as though she's finished recalling her previous existence even as a dream. (Assuming it wasn't one, of course.)

I think the disaster that led to Marcus and the others being alone at the original base is still a few years in the future. If we don't get any more reality shifts -- certainly no certainty -- we'll see whether that jogs her memories again. Obviously Marcus didn't take part in the experiment in this world (if it happened at all) unless his accident was faked.

Eric

Just out of medical jail and good fortune

Jamie Lee's picture

Well, if this is another funny reality, Brie is sure running into good fortune. She has everything needed to command a squadron except experience. And that will come in time.

Others have feelings too.