Aftermath 21

Printer-friendly version


AFTERMATH Part 21

Sitting in my desk chair. A note was taped to my computer monitor. Giving me log in details and how to create my own once I did. On the side of the file cabinet was a list of planes and flight crews that where under my command. There was 14 planes in the 4th. 2 of which were deployed. One showed in Maintenance. One other TDY to Vandenburg. Then there was mine, tail #43255. Showed temporary Commander Major R Evens.

I set up my computer information along with my email. Using my computer access card. It was easy. My desk calendar, Had some doodles on it. A big red circle around the 26. saying last day. I found another marker and put CoC 10 am in the circle.

My phone buzzed. Caller ID showed 238, it was Marcy.

Picking up the receiver, “Yes, Marcy.”

Ma'am a Colonel Green and a Dr. Hart are here to see you.”

“Show them in, If you please.”

“Yes, Ma'am.”

A few moments later, Marcy opened the door and showed, both Whitney and Cassie in.

“Thank you, Marcy.”

She nodded as she left closing the door behind her.

“Nice digs, Brie.” Whitney commented. “You are lucky, my office is about half this size.”

“Mine, is close to this size.”

“Have a seat girls.”

We chatted for about an hour. Then they had to get back to work. I needed to get started leading this squadron.

I dialed Marcy's number.

“Yes, Ma'am.”

“Marcy, could you come to my office, with a note pad.”

“Be right there.”

There was a slight knock and Marcy came in.

“What can I do for you, Col?” She sat in front of me.

“Let's schedule a commanders call. On the 27th. So I can brief the squadron on my expectations, and goals for the 4th. See if we can use the theater.”

“Yes, Ma'am.”

“Ah, Marcy. You don't always have to be so formal all the time.”

“OK,”

“Do we have a recall roster?”

“We have one in the computer.”

“Please send a message to all supervisors. Make sure everything is correct and up to date. On the recall roster.”

“Make sure my information is on the current one.”

“I sure will.”

“ Anything else.”

“Lets get the senior staff together. So, I can brief them. On things that I expect.”

“Sure, When would you like to have this meeting?”

“It is getting late today, let's plan on it at 0900 in the morning.”

“I will get an Email out to everybody.”

“Please, CC me as well.”

“I sure will. Anything else, Col.?”

Thinking, “Nope.”

Marcy left, pushing back from my desk. I pushed off and spun my chair around. I just kept it spinning. I was so happy. Letting it stop on its own. I got it facing my desk.

Mmmm, I need to personalize this place. I thought of what I had or could get to spruce up the place. I need to dig out the Hurky gunship model that one of my first crew made of my bird. Of course pictures of my baby, Zoey and of course one of our Explorer. And if everything goes right one of Ashlee. Maybe a family type photo. I can say she is my cousin if asked.

Checked my email, the one from Marcy to the senior staff. And one from the general. Asking how everything was going. Also, a invite to the O club. I messaged back saying everything was perfect and I would meet him there. After sending an acknowledgment.

Leaving I told Marcy that I was meet the General at the O club, and would see her in the AM.

“Have a good evening , Col.” She answered as I left. Just as I left the building my phone buzzed. A text from Ashlee. I waited till I got in the truck to read it. Letting the truck idle as I read the text.

“Hey, Looking forward to seeing you again. Also meeting Zoey. Hope today was great for you. Can't wait till tomorrow pm.”

It was followed by some hearts.

I sent back,
“Yeah, today has been fantastic. Can't wait either, till tomorrow. Want to see you again.” Then I sent it. Then I thought, did I really put 'want to see you again.' I actually had to look at my phone to check. Yep, I sure did.

On the drive to the Officer's Club. I thought that I must be wanting a romantic relationship with Ashlee. I actually had to reason it out. Thinking to myself.

“Well I haven't been in any type of relationship since Marcus past. Then there was my coma.”

But it is with a woman, even if she is transgender. I don't care. I do have feelings for Ashlee. Which I hope she has the same for me. Looks like it, but not 100% sure.”

As I pulled up to park at the O club. I visualized Ashlee. Those amazing pale green eyes, her cute smile, and great personality. Things that I looked for when choosing a boy friend. The thing that attracted me to Marcus, was there.

Joining General Parker at the Bar. He introduced me to some of the other Squadron brass Who where there too. I mingled and talked to them. Drinking my 7up. Being I still have to drive home I wasn't drinking any alcohol. I know I can call, Cassie, Steve, Brian, or Whitney for a ride home.

Well Scratch, Cassie. She just walked in the door. As she is the Security Police squadron commander. She would be invited.

“Hey, Brie.” She said as she came up to the bar. “What's the happs?”

“SSDD, You?”

“Me too.”

“What will you have Colonel.” The guy behind the bar asked.

Pointing to me, “What ever she is having.”

“Yes, Ma'am.”

“Are you sure you can handle this stuff?” I asked.

“Of course, I'm not a wimp like you.” She teased.

Drinking the last maybe inch of my 7up. Down in one gulp. “Don't know It maybe to hard for you.”

The bar tender set down Cassie's 7up. “Yeah, right.” She drained her glass in one drink.

“See,” Then BURP. Cassie gave a huge burp.

“Told you that you couldn't handle it.” I held up my glass to signal I wanted a refill.

“Damn, 7up always makes me burp.” Cassie managed to get out between giggles.

It is an old joke between me, Cassie, and Whitney.

It seems that Me and Cassie were the two of only 4 female squadron commanders at Herbert Field. One was CE and the other was ordnance.

I chatted with the Ordnance Commander, A Lt. Colonel Shaffer. I wanted to introduce myself to her. As our two Squadron's work closely together.

About 5:30, I finally left. Heading home, between the O club and my house. I saw two SP's, One state trooper and two County sheriffs. Good thing I didn't drink. That would be great headlines in the base paper. 'New Commander of the 4th arrested for dui'

As I walked into the house. I shot a text to Ashlee. 'I just got home, call me if you are not busy.'

Zoey and Brittney were cuddled on the couch watching a movie.

“Hi, Mom. How was your first day of your new command?”

“Yeah, Contrats,Mrs W.” Brittney said.

“Normal bs.”

Zoey rolled her eyes, and nodded. She knew what I meant.

I kissed both on the top of there heads as I went to change. I have no problem with Zoey having Brittney over. I trust my daughter.

Kicking off my boots. Just as I had one arm out of my flight suit. My phone went off. It was Ashlee. I got all goose bumpy. My heart rate went up.

I answered. “Hey, sweetie.” Did I just say that. “how are you?”

“fine, now.” I heard her say. “Now that I can talk to you. What are you doing?”

“Right now, trying to get out of my uniform. And talk to you at the same time.”

“Ooohh. I wish I could watch.” Ashlee started to do the stripper music. Da da duh da.

“Funny.”

“ Just trying to help, from long distance.”

“Thanks,” I was finally able to wiggle out of the rest of my uniform. I flopped down on my bed in just my panties, and bra. Again I talked to Ashlee for almost two hours, again.

Zoey wound up making dinner. I finally hung up when it was ready. Zoey had made sloppy joes, One of my favorites. For a celebration, since she wasn't able to go with us yesterday.

She came to my door, knocking. “Mom dinner is ready.”

“Hey Ashlee. Zoey has gotten dinner ready so I will talk to you tomorrow.”

“OK, Tell Zoey I cannot wait to meet her. And see you again.”

“yeah, me too. Can't wait.” For some reason I told her. “I love you.”

I could here the surprise in her voice, When she answered. “I love you, too.” then we hung up.

I just lay on my bed looking at my phone. Did we both just say, 'I love you' to each other

“Mom, Hurry up or it will get cold.” Zoey called.

“On my way.” I slipped off my bra. I threw on a night shirt.

Sitting down at the table. “Looks good.” I told Zoey.

“Thanks, I know you like it.” Motioning towards the bedroom. “ Ashlee again?”

“Yeah,”

“You are as bad as me and Brittney.”

“Nah” I stuck my tongue out. We both giggled.

“Oh, and she is anxious to meet you.” I told her.

“I want to meet my mothers new love.”

I dropped my fork. “What are you talking about?”

“Mom, I heard you say it when you said goodbye.”

“Where you eavesdropping on my personal call.”

Zoey turned red, “Just a little. Only a little when you hung up”

“Yeah, I did say it. I don't really know why. I just did.”

“Did she say it back?”

Now it was my time to turn red. I just nodded.

“Can I ask you one thing, Mom. Did you mean it?”

I felt my face getting redder. Softly saying. “yeah, I did.”

We chatted the rest of the meal. It was great. After helping clean up and do the dishes. We both watched some TV. I headed to bed just after the 10:00 news.

Again the alarm went off at 6am. Just like yesterday. I did my run, showered, dressed, ate, then left. It seemed like old times. I just wasn't flying.

A little before 7:30 I pulled into my parking spot. And headed to my office.

“Good Morning, Colonel.” Marcy cheerily said.

“Good Morning, Marcy.”

“Fresh cup of coffee.” She asked.

“That would be fantastic.” I said going into my office. She must have noticed my coffee cup in my hand.

“3 Sugars 1 cream.”

No sooner than I sat down at my desk, there was a slight knock on my door, “Here you go Ma'am.” Marcy set the coffee on my desk. It was in a cool looking mug with an AC130 on it. It looked brand new.

“Thank you, Marcy. Is the staff meeting all set?” Taking a sip of coffee.

“Here is a list of all who should be there. It will be in training room two.”

“Thank you.”

“You are welcome”

She left. Now I need to set a routine. I told myself. OK, check emails. Nothing new. I have to remember to check every couple hours. Next I checked on the status of my planes. Opening a page on my computer. Were all the work orders and status is updated.

All of my stories are purely fictional, the some places are real, some are not. The names and personnel used in all my stories, are also fictional. They may be based on people I knew but, Any resemblance to anyone living, dead, or un-dead are purely coincidental.

I write my stories as a fantasy. While based on this world. Things in my story could stretch reality. However I write my stories from my mind. I reserve all rights to my work. Any form of duplication without my permission is forbidden. Please enjoy reading them as I have in writing them.

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The relationship with Ashley......

D. Eden's picture

Seems to be sped up to a pretty fast pace. I can’t help but wonder where this is headed.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Story is getting good

Samantha Heart's picture

I can't wait to read more about the COL, her new love & the command as well.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Getting in the groove

Jamie Lee's picture

Doing anything new comes with getting into the groove, setting up a routine that belongs to the person.

It takes a while to get a handle on items that were once taken care of by another.

It sounds like it's serious between Brie and Ashlee, at least right now. But might Brie just be at the point in her life where she wants companionship and Ashlee was the first person to catch her eye? Guess time will tell.

Others have feelings too.