Changes~32

Printer-friendly version
We sat there for what seemed ages.
I let it all out–the grief, shock and the fact that Olivia was still trying to manipulate my life from a distance.
Eventually I was all cried out and was left with an empty feeling.

Changes
Chapter 32

By Susan Brown


 

Smile
Though your heart is aching
Smile
Even though it’s breaking’
When there are clouds in the sky
You’ll get by

If you smile
Through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You’ll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile…

J. Turner & G. Parsons

Previously…

I stayed there, sitting on Rachel’s seat for some time–it may have been hours–I don’t know. I was in a state of shock and, I suppose, too numb to think constructively. I was vaguely aware that several people passed me but I didn’t take much notice.

The shadows were lengthening as sun dipped towards the horizon. There was a coolness in the air as the breeze off the sea freshened.

Something moving caught my eye over to the left and I saw a rabbit, sniffing in the undergrowth. A moment later two small baby rabbits appeared, young and vulnerable and trying to keep up with mum…

I lost control then and started sobbing into my hands. Not long afterwards I heard a snuffling noise and looked up. Through my tears, saw the happy face of Sandy, the Labrador.

‘Hello, Sam dear, what’s the matter?’

Jocasta sat down beside me and put her arm around my shoulders. I was totally unable to control my sobbing as the floodgates opened.

And now the story continues…

We sat there for what seemed like ages. I let it all out–the grief, the shock and the fact that Olivia was still trying to manipulate my life from a distance. Eventually I was all cried out and was left with a sort of empty feeling.

Jo hadn’t said much, she just hugged me tightly and gave me comfort.

‘Feeling a bit better?’ she asked.

I nodded. ‘Thanks, Jo.’

‘For what?’

‘Being here for me.’

‘That’s what friends are for.’

Dusk was gathering quickly as we headed back down the path and over the stile; Jo accompanied me all the way back to my cottage with Sandy following obediently. I got a distinct feeling that Jo was still worried about me because she linked arms with me all the way back to my cottage.

‘Can you come in?’ I asked as we arrived home.

‘Of course.’

‘Go into the sitting room, I won’t be a mo.’

‘Okay.’

‘Would Sandy like a drink of water?’ I asked.

‘I’m sure he’d love one,’ came the reply.

I turned on the lights in the small hall, and went into the kitchen, Sandy’s toenails tip-tapping behind me on the quarry-tile floor. I put some water in a bowl and put it on the floor where he lapped it thirstily Then I made a pot of tea for us ladies and put the things on a tray, with some McVitie’s Chocolate Digestives and rejoined Jo in the sitting room. After fussing about with the tea and biscuits for a minute or two, we settled down. Sandy, smelling biscuits layed his chin, first on Jo’s knee and then mine, making solemn pleading eyes at both of us.

‘No, Sandy,’ I told him, knowing chocolate to be poisonous to dogs and cats. ‘Thanks, Jo.’ I said, turning to her.

‘What for, my dear?’

‘For being here.’

‘Do you feel able to talk about it?’ Jo hadn’t asked why I was so upset earlier and for that I was thankful because I don’t think any explanation would have been very coherent.

I fished Olivia’s letter out of my bag and passed it to her. Her eyebrows shot up.

‘Are you sure that you want–?’

‘Please, that’s why I gave it to you.’

I sipped my hot sweet tea as she read the letter. I didn’t look at her and just stared into the empty fireplace.

‘My God!’

I looked up to see a Jocasta that I had never seen before. She was red in the face and looked on the verge of having a fit as she finished reading. She took several deep breaths in an attempt to calm herself a little. When she spoke, her anger was barely hidden beneath the surface.

‘I can understand why you were so distressed, Sam. In your circumstances, I would be just the same. How are you feeling now?’

‘Totally Numb.’

‘I’m not surprised. Look, you aren’t in this on your own you know. All your friends are here for you and then there’s your sister, Dawn.’

‘It’s my mess, I’ve got to get myself out of it.’

‘Sam, look at me.’ I looked up, my eyes watering again.

‘Sam, it’s not your mess. Olivia, is a conniving, manipulative bitch who acts as if the world owes her the right to say and do what she likes. Obviously, she was spoilt as a child, unable to do anything wrong in her doting father’s eyes and it looks to me as if she’s never truly grown up. You must not take on her baggage and problems.’

‘But–’

‘–No buts, Sam. Please, let me say this: you are a sweet, lovely girl and you owe Olivia absolutely nothing. You have always been straight with her and she knew about you before the marriage. The fact that she has flung all this back in your face and is now trying to blackmail you into going back to her for the sake of the baby is despicable beyond words and it’s not even your baby!’

‘But what about the baby? Why should the poor little thing suffer because of all this mess?’

‘It’s not your concern, Sam. Olivia has made her bed, now she must lie on it.’

‘I know but–’

Jo’s phone burbled.

‘Hello?’

‘Yes, she at home…she’s a bit upset at some news…okay, right, bye.’

‘That was Abby, your phone’s off and she was worried. She’s coming around.’

I felt comforted by that. I needed a kiss and a cuddle rather badly.

‘Look, Sam dear,’ Jo continued, ‘we need to hold a council of war about this. It’s too late tonight, but I’ll arrange things and see you tomorrow. I’ll bring Katie in the morning and then with Abby as well, we’ll come up with a plan to thwart Olivia and Nigel. Is that okay?’

‘That would be wonderful, Jo.’ I had a warm feeling from the realisation that I wasn’t alone, having people around me whom I loved and respected, who wanted to help make things easier for me. A few minutes later there was a knock on the door and Jo answered it.

I smiled as Abby came into the room. I stood up; she hugged me and for a few moments I forgot my troubles and enjoyed being up close and personal with the girl I loved.

There was a discreet cough and we both looked around.

‘Sorry, Jo,’ said Abby, looking rather shamefaced.

‘Don’t be…young love and all that. Look, I must go or David will wonder whether I’ve left him. He’s in a bit of a state at the moment because Lady F wants him to give a sermon on Sunday about the evils of lateness and the fact that young gels should do as they are told. Abby, Sam will explain what’s happened and we will hold a council of war here tomorrow morning. I’ll drag Katie along and we’ll see what can be done, okay?’

We both nodded and after hugs all round and a whispered thanks in Jo’s ear, she went off home.

David reminded me vaguely of Mr Collins trying to cope with Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Pride And Prejudice, only, of course, David was not creepy like Mr Collins.

After Jo left, I made Abby a cuppa and we sat on the sofa while she read the letter from Olivia.

She was somewhat annoyed after reading the letter. I could tell as she downed her tea, seemingly in one gulp, crashed the cup down on the coffee table and then started…

‘I’ll kill her. Let me get my hands on that manipulative bitch. To think that the cow should use such disgraceful and disgusting tactics against you–I–I.’ Her face had turned as red as a beetroot. She looked very pretty when she was angry. Mind you, I think she would look pretty with a tea cosy over her head…anyway, I let her rant for a minute or two.

‘Abby?’

‘Using an unborn baby as a bargaining chip–’

‘Abby?’

‘And what about her father. I bet he put her up to this…’

‘Abbeeeee!’

‘What! Oh, sorry, love. I do go off a bit don’t I? Come here; let’s have a cuddle.’

I was in her arms and soon the horrid letter went to the back of my mind for a moment as Abby and I got closely entangled. After a few minutes of this, I felt calmer and Abby’s beating heart seemed to slow down a few hundred beats.

I lay down on the sofa, my head in her lap, sighed and looked up at her.

‘Thanks, love.’

‘What for?’ she said stroking my hair distractedly.

‘For being here for me and loving me.’

‘It’s a two-way thing, you know. Even though you have no dress sense and your hair could do with a few highlights and the tea you make tastes like dishwater and…’

At that time she was laughing and so was I as I realised that she was rather ticklish! Talking stopped for quite a while as we continued to mess about like silly schoolgirls.

Eventually, we both came up for air. It was getting late now and I was feeling rather tired. I couldn’t control a yawn and that set her off too.

‘I suppose it’s bed time,’ I said, ‘I’ll have to get up early tomorrow if people are coming around. I do hope that I can sort out this mess.’

‘You will with our help.’

‘Mmm it’s sooo nice having such friends…and a wonderful lover.’

She gazed into my eyes and smiled.

‘Samantha Smart, I do love you.’

Looking at her I realised that I didn’t want to be alone tonight.

‘C—c—can you stay?’ My heart was in my mouth, as I waited for an answer.

‘What, tonight?’

‘Please.’

Had I said something wrong. My head was all over the place tonight. I didn’t want to spoil anything…

She looked at me silently for a few moments and then just smiled and nodded.

‘The cats will be okay; they’ve got food and water and are more independent than us humans. I’ll have to go back tomorrow morning just to check on them though.’

‘Okay.’ I sighed with relief. She wanted to stay. I was so happy. Maybe today wasn’t going to end up as a complete disaster, after all.

I locked up and then we turned the lights off and went upstairs, hand in hand.

I went into the bathroom first and smiled ruefully at my face. Wearing makeup and crying don’t really mix very well. I wondered why Abby, at seeing me, didn’t run off down the road screaming, but they say love is blind. I washed my face and then did the usual things. I then put on my pretty pink satin nightie; I loved the feel of it against my smooth skin. Brushing my hair, I wondered if I should get some highlights. Yet another decision to make–but not tonight as I was going to be with my beloved Abby.

Back in the bedroom, Abby was sitting on the bed.

‘You look gorgeous,’ she said getting up and hugging me tightly.

‘Thank you.’ I said a bit shyly and then after a quick kiss, I went to the chest of drawers and I searched for a few moments.

I handed Abby a toothbrush and nightie which was cream coloured and satin. I was sure that she would look lovely wearing it and couldn’t wait to see. She smiled, kissed me gently on the lips and then went to the bathroom.

Lying in bed waiting for her, my mind, once again returned to that letter. I felt sorry for the baby. Olivia knew that I had always wanted a child and she was using that fact to blackmail me into going back to her. I still didn’t understand the tangled web that was her mind, but much as I would love a child, I could not return to her under those or any other circumstances. If she was 28 weeks pregnant and it wasn’t just a figment of her warped and overactive imagination, I would do all I could to protect the baby, even if it meant reporting her to the authorities. Katie would know what to do about that.

I put all thoughts of Olivia and the baby to the back of my mind as soon as Abby came back in. She looked absolutely gorgeous in the nightie and I could see the silhouette of her lovely firm body through the thin fabric as she passed a table lamp sitting on the dressing table behind her.

‘Which side of the bed do you prefer?’ I breathed.

‘Stay where you are, you’re just fine.’

She got into bed and soon I could feel her warm silk-clad body next to me. My heart was pounding and I was by now terribly nervous. I wanted this time to be lovely and I didn’t want things to go wrong.

‘Relax, Sam, let’s just enjoy being together. You know I love you?’

‘Yes, and I love you more than anything I the world.’

‘Even more than clotted cream teas?’

‘Mmm, it’s a close run thing, but you get the nod.’ We both laughed and it dissipated any slight tension.

As she caressed my body, I was pleased that my breast forms were attached but really wanted some real ones so that I could feel her soft hands on the real me. I would remedy that at the earliest opportunity.

We explored each others bodies, it was so gentle and lovely. Her mouth tasted sweet and minty; her tongue was soft and deliciously moist. Her breasts were firm and her nipples hard with desire as they rose to attention as I licked them...

As we made love, we were crying again, not tears of sorrow, but tears of joy that we had each found a soul mate. Abby, I knew, felt the same and it was a time of great joy, love and sensitivity…

I will not say more about that night except to say that it was the most wonderful night of my life and I hoped and prayed that more of the same would happen very soon and that my past would stay firmly–in my past.



To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

Edited by Gabi and posted by her at Sue’s request.

up
395 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sam & Abby

Wonderful chapter, Sue! Sam is learning how women stick together to deal with life's little upsets. And Abby is so sweet!

Way to go, ladies!


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

A council of war

It's quite remarkable how you can make me smile and cry at the same time. I hope Sam's friends can convince her that, as Jo put it "you owe Olivia absolutely nothing". To use an unborn child to blackmail someone is truly despicable.

Perhaps the council of war will come up with a cunning plan that sorts out Olivia and her Dad once and for all.

In the meanwhile Sam and Abby do seem to be getting on rather well!

Pleione

Beautiful...

Sob, sniffle, sob, sob... I just love it when two can share so much... got to get more tissues. Mary.

Love it Sue.

Like Always. Just lovely.

Sarah Lynn

Why Do I Get The Feeling That

When Lady F hears about this, that she will trounce Nigel, but good! I have the idea that when she learns about Sam and Olivia, that she will still be quite the aristocrat, yet, befriend Sam. After all, she knows about Abby, and helps with the bills.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Love it.

At least it is a rational response. Thank you Sue. As I've said previously, yes it is despicable and way beyond contempt situation created by a woman with a less than rational mind. Sue will be hard pressed to win this battle, certainly not alone, for some baby's life.

She cannot be seen as vulnerable to this blackmail, even though she is a compassionate soul and wants to protect the baby somehow.

Thank you Sue for vindicating my thinking also.

Kim

Sorry

Posted comment twice by accident.

Kim

Doesn't Sam still have…

…all Tom's equipment? It's not as if Sam has been taking female hormones yet, so she should still be able to "father" a child with Abby. They have just had a super night of passion together, so who knows what the outcome might be?

Great story, Sue, keep ’em coming.

Hugs,

Norma.

PS Hope your mum is improving.

Sue,

well, it look like our girl Olivia has shunk to a new low. l mean blackmail sam's with her unborn child (how can l put this without swearing) is terrible. hopefully sam would do the right thing and report Olivia to the authorities. on a lighter note sam hit dat!!

Olivia, Nigel.

Be afraid, Be very afraid, You should not have upset the Penmarris Mafia (womens section) This is one tigers tail you should not have pulled, Now you will face the consequences... And you only have yourselves to blame!!! Kirri

Going All Coy

joannebarbarella's picture

Damn! I was looking forward to a blow-by-blow thoroughly pornographic description of Abby and Samantha's mad passionate love-making. I's bin robbed! A positively Victorian veil of cute discretion has been drawn over their nocturnal adventures. Double-Damn!
Good on Jocasta. Let's get those Cornish women on the warpath and Nigel and Olivia will go down in flames,
Joanne

Blame the Bl**dy Editor

if you like, but it wasn't me, Guv, honest. Actually, I think it is better as it is because it allows your obviously vivid imagination, Joanne, a completely free rein.

Mind you I have my own thoughts about it, but I will leave it to the brilliant Sue to weave her tale—or maybe wave her tail?

Gabi.

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Olivia Screwed Up Big Time

I'm not a lawyer, so this is merely unprofessional conjecture.

Olivia's letter amounts to extortion. She threatens to commit a criminal act unless Sam accedes to her demands. Moreover, she is at least implying the existence of a criminal conspiracy (with daddy dearest) in furtherance of the extortion plot. If that isn't enough, she has provided a motive for the conspiracy- her father's aspirations to knighthood- which implies that he is the one behind everything.

Even if the letter isn't handwritten or signed, it can be traced to Olivia and Nigel. Petard hoisting, anyone?

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the war council...

Caution

I gather from the context that the hand-delivered letter is hand-written, although it isn't specifically described as such. I also gather from the others' reactions to it that it's not an unsigned, typed note. No one questions for a microsecond that Olivia wrote it.

On the other hand, if it is just an unsigned typed note, or Sam isn't 100% certain that it's Olivia's hand, the sisterhood will have to be very circumspect about how they handle it. Handing it off to the police would have to be done in a neutral manner, by Katie, with no claims of certainty as to who wrote it. Let the police make their own investigation and decide that for themselves. Otherwise, there are legal issues with libel, slander, and other charges that could be brought against Sam if the letter is some sort of set-up.

If this is an actual letter, written by Olivia in her own hand, with actual factual information in it, it is monumentally stupid beyond all means of measuring the magnitude of monumental stupidity. Off the chart!

A few notes on the letter.

It was not told explicitly that the letter was hand-written, yet it was told that Sam realised immediately it was from Olivia. Circumstantual evidence points at the letter being hand-written.

The letter was finished with words:
Your Loving Olivia.

XXXXXX
So this letter could prove to be an invaluable asset.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

It's amazing...

...what can be done these days with the lifting of fingerprints from paper, apropo the whole signed/unsigned question...

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

The War Council

jengrl's picture

The War Council headed by Jocasta will come up with some big surprises for Olivia and her idiot father. Jocasta may be a Vicar's wife but I wouldn't put it past her to come up with some decidedly Unchristian ideas for Olivia and Nigel. It will be interesting to see what the group of women will come up with when they meet. I love how Abby always knows when she is needed to help give Samantha support.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Spoil the knight

I don't think dear Daddums would be too pleased, if who ever does the Knighting saw that letter.

Khadija

The Actual Knighting

The actual knighting is performed by HM The Queen or her heir, HRH Charley-boy. The recommendation to grant a knighthood is made by the Prime Minister or one of his minions and then passed on to "The Palace".

If it is granted Naughty Nigel will have to go to the Palace to kneel in front of the Queen (or Prince Charles who seems to be doing a lot of the knighting these days) and will be touched on each shoulder with a sword and told "Arise, Sir Nasty Nigel" or words to that effect.

Changes ... in People

terrynaut's picture

I'm such a sap. I keep feeling bad for Olivia and everyone else -- even many of the characters -- are calling her a manipulative bitch. I can't help wanting the best for everyone. *sigh*

I really liked this chapter by the way. It climbed back up another hill, this time, instead of comedy, it was love. I loved the love between Sam and Abby.

Thanks very much for the story. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Friends!

Isn't it wonderful that Samantha has made a close nit grop of friends who will protect her to the death.
It says something about her character that they have taken to her so closely!

And of course Abby!
Nice one Sue.

Lol
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I sincerely hope...

That Olivia and her daddy, Nigel, get everything that's coming to them. After this latest bit of emotional blackmail, all I can say is that nothing... NOTHING... is too bad to happen to them.

Frankly, I hope the investigators that Katie sicced on Nigel and his sicko, perverted daughter turn up something nice and juicy. Something bad enough to guarantee that His most Pompous ass self hasn't a chance in hell of getting his knighthood. Maybe good enough to cost him his business and fortune.

Makes one almost wish that public flogging were still legal. If ever anyone deserved a public flogging, it's that pair of of slime.

Changes 32

I love the way you pull me into your story. I can almost smell the sea air sometimes. This is a beautiful story, and you tell it so well. It's early morning now, and I hope I can find a spot in this story where I can feel comfortable putting it down for a while. It is so compelling, and I just can't wait to read more, so I think I will.Thank you so much!

Wren

I'm beginning to fall in love...

.... for Abby; she's playing the perfect foil to Samantha's confused circumstances.

It's a real page turner isn't

It's a real page turner isn't it. One little quibble though you neglected to attribute composing credits to the wonderful Charlie Chaplin who wrote this music for a film back in 1936. The two people you mention added words later, sometime in the 50's.
Previously if I remember correctly you credited a song to Roy Orbison when I suspect someone like the Righteous Bros. or the Platters had already had a hit with the song. Forgive me I am a composer/songwriter and these things are important to me.