Changes~16

Printer-friendly version
‘We headed for the car park where Dawn had left her car to make sure that it was okay to leave it overnight. We had both had a few drinks and the last thing she wanted was to be breathalysed.



Changes
Chapter 16
By Susan Brown


 
 


Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best, and...
Always look at the bright side of life
Always look on the light side of life

Eric Idle/Monty Python

Previously…

‘What did he say?’

‘Things I don’t want to repeat.’

‘How do you feel?’

‘I ought to feel scared, angry, confused and terrified, but I don’t–not any more. That ’phone call just confirmed what I guess I knew when all this blew up in my face–Olivia is a lying, cheating bitch and her father’s a foul-mouthed, bullying tyrant. If they want a fight, they’ll get it.’

‘That’s my girl, you go get ’em!’

And now the story continues…

We headed for the car park where Dawn had left her car to make sure that it was okay to leave it overnight. We had both had a few drinks and the last thing she wanted was to be breathalysed.

After speaking to the night car park attendant and slipping him a fiver, the car was left over in the corner right by the sign that said, ‘Please Park Prettily.’

It was dusk by now and the dim glow of the street lights were all we had to guide us on our way, that and the fact that the church was floodlit and could be seen from most places in the cove. Being out in the open air had started to do things with my head and the ground started to feel as if I was on the deck of an ocean going yacht, making me a little unsteady on Jocasta’s borrowed heels.

We were at the slightly giggly stage as we walked up the hill carrying Dawn’s overnight bag. We kept nattering about things we did as children, like the time when we both got told off at Christmas for going downstairs and opening our presents at three in the morning.

Eventually we arrived at the Vicarage and went in using the kitchen door. David and Jocasta were in there and looked up as we walked in.

‘David, Jocashta, this is my Dishter, Shawn, I mean, my Shishter, Dawn.’ I was feeling distinctly woozy.

‘Hello, Dawn,’ Jocasta said, a slight smile playing on her lips for some reason.

‘Hi,’ David added, waving his hand vaguely in our direction.

‘Come through to the sitting room,’ Jo suggested.

‘That’sh where you shit.’ I said, giggling to Dawn.

David went very red in the face for some reason, mumbled something about letting the dogs out and shot through the door leaving the rest of us to go into the other room.

I flopped down with a sigh, feeling strangely light-headed.

The others made themselves comfortable and then began chatting as if I wasn’t there.

‘So, Dawn, what do you think about Samantha then?’

She looked at me and I grinned back.

‘She still can’t hold her drink; three small glasses of wine and she’s nearly under the table.’

‘Excush me. I’m here, you know, and anyhoo, how can I drink under the table, I would shpill it.’

They both looked at each other and chuckled. I couldn’t understand why they were laughing because I didn’t think I’d said anything funny.

They carried on talking and I wasn’t paying much attention. I must have fallen asleep as I vaguely remember waking up and helping Dawn upstairs to bed. She must have been a bit tipsy as she was swaying about rather a lot.

The next thing I knew, it was morning and for some reason the light was very bright through the curtains and I had a splitting headache. I heard a banging and realised it was the incredibly loud ticking from my watch that still appeared to be attached to my wrist. I blearily looked at the time. My eyes–well one of them anyway–focused and I saw the time: half past eleven–Blimey.

Looking under the bed covers, I noticed I was wearing my satin nightie, but couldn’t remember getting undressed. There were no signs of Dawn or anyone else and the house seemed decidedly quite. Then I remembered: I was supposed to be at the cottage by seven. Mrs Pearson wouldn’t be happy that I was super-late and I had wanted to make a good impression with her. I stumbled out of bed.

‘Bugger.’ I exclaimed as I stubbed my toe on the bed post; this was not a good start to the day. My head felt as if extensive building work was taking place inside, involving pneumatic drills, sledge hammers and some explosives. My tongue felt like an Axminster carpet–a shag pile one at that, and now my toe had suffered extensive trauma. I limped out of the bedroom and went to the bathroom. After Mother Nature had been sorted out, I stepped into the shower and turned it on.

‘Bugger, bum.’

The water was freezing and then I remembered to turn the knob thingy and the water got too hot.

‘Shhhhhhugar.’

Add hyperthermia and being boiled alive to my growing list of ailments and you can see that I was far from being a happy bunny.

I dried myself off, slipped on my nightie again; after all, I didn’t want to frighten the life out of the kids, and was back in the bedroom in two shakes of a lamb’s tail. Mind you there wasn’t anyone about, including the kids who, thinking about it, must have been long gone to school by now.

Glancing out of the window, I wondered who had switched off the sun; when I went to have my shower a few minutes earlier, there had been wall to wall sunshine, but now clouds had gathered and it was looking positively gloomy. I realised things were bad when I saw a seagull flapping it’s wings like mad and getting nowhere.

'Great.’ I thought, ‘what a day to move. Where is everyone? It’s so quiet I can hear my heart thumping.’

As it looked like a bit of a rough day, I put on some jeans and a sweater, white socks and trainers–sort of business like for the things I had to do today. A quick brush of hair and scrunchiefication, followed by a minimal application of makeup and I was ready. I had a couple of paracetamol to settle my aches and pains and then I felt almost semi human and ready to face the day.

Downstairs, I entered the empty kitchen and wondered if this was what it was like on board the Marie Celeste?

I had some cornflakes and burnt some toast and then, grabbing my cagoule I made my way down the path to the lane. It started to drizzle and get rather windy–well it would, wouldn’t it? So I struggled with my cagoule which, for the uninitiated, is a rain jacket that goes over your head–in theory. Have you ever tried to get a thin nylon thingy on when the wind is howling and the rain soaking you to the skin? Eventually, I got the correct arms in the right holes and my head in the only hole left and it was on. Instantly I regretted the fact that it was yellow and could be seen for miles on a foggy day. Here was me trying to blend in and be a cool local and there was I looking as yellow as a banana and more tripperish than a day-tripper.

As I made my way to the cottage, I noticed a few folk walking around; you know, the hardy types that would never allow a bit of rain and a force 10 gale get in the way of their holiday? I assume the locals were a bit less silly as I didn’t see anyone who remotely looked like a local as I struggled along. Unbelievably, there were actually two kids carrying buckets and spades obviously heading for the beach. If medals were awarded for optimism, they would get them with gold leaf clusters.

The rain got heavier and the wind freshened and I was almost blown over by several gusts. Looking up, I swear I saw a seagull flying in reverse gear. When I could see it through the torrential rain, the sea looked choppy and rather scary. I thought that this place was tranquil and calm; this was just about as tranquil and calm as the first morning of the January sale at Harrods.

I turned into the lane leading to the cottage and wondered if Mr and Mrs Pearson had bothered to come. I bet there are old wives tales that predict such weather and living here for half a century gives a sixth sense about impending climatic disasters. Perhaps some of the old timers might even cast the runes. There again, there’s always the weather forecast on radio, TV and the internet to go by.

I arrived at the cottage and struggled up the wet steps to the front door. With water dripping off my dainty nose, I rummaged in my handbag for the key. I knew I had put it in there last night, but as I searched through, even to those hidden depths that rarely saw the light of day, I still couldn’t find it. Then, unexpectedly, the front door opened, giving me such a shock that I nearly dropped my bag on the wet step.

A lady was standing there, she had on a housecoat and had a duster in her hand and looked as if she knew how to use it.

‘Awright ’en aree?’

‘Pardon?’ I shouted as the hurricane appeared to be increasing in force. I wondered when we would finally be in the eye of the storm–I could do with a break.

‘Pizen dawn in’it?’

I gave up trying to understand what the hell she was saying and I just wanted to get out of the tropical rain storm before I drowned or got a pruney face.

‘Mrs Pearson?’ I yelled.

‘Oh ar, ’m.’

‘I’m Samantha Smart?’

‘Yes ’m?’

‘Can I come in, then?’

‘Ah be bleaized d’zee ye, comalong in.’

She stood aside and I took that to mean that I could actually go into my own–if only rented–cottage and I gratefully went past her, up the steps and into the kitchen.

My gob was well and truly smacked when I discovered Dawn, Jocasta, David, Millie, Jennifer and Phillipa all holding some sort of drink in their hands and looking at me with smiles on their faces.

‘SURPRISE.’ they shouted.

I was dripping on the linoleum, doing my celebrated impression of a flabberghasted wet banana. My mouth was opening and closing like a codfish, as I hadn’t a clue what to say.

Over the welsh dresser was draped a banner, saying, ‘Welcome Home Samanth’.

Jen came over, looking cross. ‘Sorry about the banner, Samantha, we ran out of paint. Phillipa said we had enough, but I knew–’

‘–You pig, Jen, I never said any such thing. I said–’

‘Girls, do shut up. Samantha doesn’t want to hear your bickering all the time,’ Jocasta scolded them, before turning to me and smiling. ‘The kids have the day off school again, something to do with the teachers being too busy with paperwork to teach. Anyway, how’s the head?’

‘Numb; I—I don’t understand–’

‘Well, Dawn told me last night that after a binge–’

‘I did not binge–’

‘Please–alright after having a teeny-weeny bit too much drinky-poos, you normally sleep for hours and wake up half dead. She explained that anything stronger than David's watered-down communion wine does strange things to you. We all felt that you would not be in a fit state–physically or mentally–to do much here today and we knew that you had your heart set on staying here tonight so I did a bit of ringing around and got things organised. We’ve been here since seven this morning and tidied things up a bit. We hope you like what we’ve done.’

Dawn came over and held my hand.

‘Sorry, sis, I told her all your deep dark secrets like how you can’t hold your drink and that sucked your thumb until you were twenty–’

‘–I didn’t, erm I was eighteen, but never mind that now. What have you done?’

‘We think you’ll like it. There wasn’t too much to do as Mrs Pearson had kept the place very nicely, but I know you were worried about your studio, so come and see–’

Jen and Phillpa started giggling and the others smiled as I went past them following Dawn upstairs and along the corridor to the studio. The door was closed.

‘Right, close your eyes, sis,’ Jo ordered.

In trepidation I shut my eyes, dreading what they might have done; paint the walls pink to reflect my girlie character? Put up net curtains to cover the wonderful windows? New carpets perhaps…I shuddered at that one…no I didn’t know what…

‘Open your eyes, Sam…’

I cracked my eyelids and then snapped my eyes open wide. ‘Ooooh.’

All the boxes and junk had gone. The cheap, stained carpet that had covered the floor had also vanished. Now, there were floorboards that were smooth had been polished and now shone splendidly. There were some shelves that had been put up and the large cupboard that was in the corner had been cleaned and emptied. There were a few spot lamps dotted around the room and three strip lights had been put up to take the place of the old dangling bulbs. Even though it was dark and wet outside, the lights made the place look light and airy–ideal for portraiture.

I felt like a kid in a sweet shop, I didn’t know what to look at next. I kept glancing towards Jennifer and Phillipa–they were standing to one side, giggling and prodding each other. They looked like they wanted to burst and I wondered what they were up to.

I continued to look around. It was just about the ideal studio and I couldn’t believe how much work had been done in so short a time. It was like one of those makeover programmes on TV where for some reason or other there is only a short time to make lots of things happen.

Along one wall, a work surface would come in useful in sooo many ways. On it were a couple of sketch pads and a pencil box. The leather settee from downstairs had been brought up and put against the back wall, ideal for when I needed a break…

Jennifer and Phillipa were giggling again and then they stepped away from each other and behind them was–an easel!

‘Oh,’ I gasped, when I saw it; it was a studio easel and just like the one I used to have when I lived with my parents. I sat down on the sofa suddenly. It was all a bit much and–guess what–I cried, not from the sadness of all that had happened with my wife and the lost dreams, but with happiness that I had found this place, all my new friends and my darling sister.

Dawn came and sat down beside me as the others made a sort of dignified retreat.

‘You like?’

‘Oh yes, Dawn. It—It’s just what I’ve always wanted: a place of my own and somewhere to draw and paint. Thank you so much.’

‘You don’t have to thank me, that’s what sisters are for when they aren’t arguing and engaging in sibling rivalry. Anyway, you should thank Jocasta; she arranged everything. Mrs Pearson got Mr Pearson and a few of his mates to come around here last night after you were comatose to strip the wooden floor, do the electrics and the carpentry. Then all the rest of us came this morning and did the rest. The bed’s made up and the fridge is stocked so you don’t even have to go shopping.

‘Oh, sis, this is—is–magnificent!’

‘Yes, and you have wonderful friends. Where we live is okay, but the community here is something else. I’m going to try to persuade my other half to come and live here. I’d like to be near you and with the beaches for the kids, I think the quality of life here would be worth the upheaval.’

‘Oh, Sis, it would be marvellous if you moved here.’

‘We’ll see. I’ll work hard on Adrian. The distance to his office is about the same to here as it is to where we live at present, but as I say, we’ll see. Now we’re all going to disappear. Shall we meet up at the pub at lunch time?’

‘What about the awful weather?’

‘What awful weather?’

‘Look outside, it’s–’

I stood up and went to the window. It was like a huge curtain opening; the clouds were rolling away, the rain had ceased, the wind had dropped and the seagulls were flying the right way up again. The sun was shining strongly and I could actually see steam coming off the roofs and pavements as everything dried quickly. Soon there would be no trace of the awful weather and Penmarris would be back in smiling business.

I turned back to Dawn and smiled. ‘I do like it here. Yes, I’ll meet you at the pub. Will Jocasta, Millie and David be there?’

‘I’ll ask them in a minute or two.’

‘Thank them for me, will you? I’ll do it properly later.’

‘Okay,’ she said, kissing my cheek and making to go.

‘Dawn.’

‘Yes, hon?’

‘I’d better not drink any alcohol, had I?’

‘Better not, sister dear.’



To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape.

up
404 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah, siblings...

Half the time when you are growing up, you are at each others' throats. Then, when you grow up and form your own family, we get the sort of sibling bonding we see here.

And Samantha is "home," for the first time in her adult life. The support, both from her sister and the community, is very touching to see, and shows she belongs here.

Now, the only thing left to do is to get what she deserves from Olivia, and all will be well.

Thanks for another chapter of this story.

Olivia will see that differently...

"to get what she deserves from Olivia"...... Olivia will be thinking.... " a barrowful of shit....." Watch out, Samantha! xx

Another great chapter

I liked this chapter. I can really identify with Samantha tonight. I just returned from a night of partying. A friend has an extended 5 day party-get-to-gether for the 4th of July. (It used to be 10 days). You know the day we upstart Americans told old King George III to get lost. I'm afraid I imbibed a little too much Beer, wine and tequila. I expect later this morning when I wake I will be in a situation similar to Samentha. Life imitating fiction.

I enjoyed this chapter, and am glad everything is falling into place for her.

Hug,
Trish-Ann

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

As the joke goes

What's the weather in England?
It's raining, or it's about to start raining, or it's just stopped raining!

This one I heard on my first visit there.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Sue, I cried too!

You really got to me for all sorts of reasons, what a wonderful chapter, I loved it!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I want to live in Penmarris,

I want to live in Penmarris, too! ;) Sounds like such a wonderful community! But Samantha's right, she needs to lay off the booze. Excellent chapter, as always!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Kindness!

Like most of the other readers of your lovely story Sue, I want to go and live there and experience the kindness shown by everybody to a complete stranger...No wonder Dawn wants to move there as well!!!

Hugs Kirri

It's not always wet in England

At the moment you could fry an egg on the roof of our shed.

This is well up to your usual standard, Sue, and it'll take a long time for me to lose the image of a seagull flying backwards or upside down.

I wouldn't have minded a bit of sibling rivalry; I had a much older brother; he was great, but not as good as the real thing (a sister).

Susie

I'm Crying

joannebarbarella's picture

So lovely. Such nice people and Samantha found a home and a home, if you see what I mean. Damn you Sue Brown, you've ruined my make-up again,
Joanne

What Better Way

To start a home than with happy tears?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Samantha

Keeping this as simple as Penmaris...this is so sweet. Sometimes, somewhere there are Christmases, we can enjoy each day. And it all starts with giving. We have the dawning of a new day. Mary

Another truly delightful

This has been another truly delightful chapter in what is, after Angharad's EAFOAB, my favorite ongoing story here! This chapter had me roaring with laughter and moved to tears in turn! Samantha definitely did well in allowing fate to lead her to her new home!

Jenny

Jenny

Singing Samantha

For some reason I kept hearing Judy Garland singing "Over The Rainbow" when I read the second half of this chapter. Perhaps Samantha could break into song:

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
A way above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Stupid Browser

terrynaut's picture

My moldy old Mozilla browser is playing up and gave me a double posting. Grrrrr!

Now I have to say something else.

I rather like the weather in England. It's very similar to what I get here in the Pacific Northwest so I'm used to it.

I seem to get a lot of sunny weather when I come over to visit my girlfriend though. That's always nice.

Thanks again for the story.

- Terry

Scrunchiefication

terrynaut's picture

Wow! I learn so much in this story. I thought I knew most of the Queen's English but then ... hey. Wait a minute. That's not a word! :p

I love what everyone did for Samantha. I would've ended up crying on the sofa too.

Oh. Yes. Do please keep her away from the drink. I can relate. I have no tolerance at all and rarely drink myself.

This chapter has left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Thanks and please keep up the good work. :)

- Terry

Glad Sam is off to such a nice start

... she will need all of the moral support she can get when she takes the fight to the soon to be Ex. The crucial question is whether there is a third party who knew Olivia knew about Sam's predilections at the time of their marriage.

Being an artist a great but she needs a keen legal mind in her corner soon. The only law firm I would totally ignore would be Dewey Cheatham and Howe. :). Now if she can only get ol' Rumpole ? Probably not. Oh Well.

Kim

British weather

The standard rule of packing for any kind of break in the UK is...

Prepare for sun, wind AND rain. Either separately, or all at once. In the course of one day you can have basking sunshine, thunderstorms, hail, 60mph gusts of wind, followed by more basking sunshine. We soon learn to expect the unexpected, and take whatever meteorologists say with a pinch of salt.

Case in point: Michael Fish, 1987. "Earlier on today apparently a lady rang the BBC and said she heard that there was a hurricane on the way. Well don't worry if you're watching, there isn't." He claims he was referring to an earlier news story about the possibility of hurricanes in Florida...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I Remember it Well

That was some storm; I was camping that night, together with a number of other members of The Sealed Knot, on Edgehill in Warwickshire, the site of the first pitched battle at the beginning of the English Civil War in 1642. Believe you me, we all felt VERY EXPOSED that night. I abandoned the idea of sleeping in a tent and slept in the back of my van. There was a large communal tent near me with about 20 inhabitants, one of whom was a goat—the regimental mascot. It bleated incessantly all night—can’t say I blamed it, but it did get one’s goat a bit. :-)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Don't like the weather....?

Ole Ulfson's picture

Wait a minute! Sounds like this is the case in Devon, as it is in the Ohio River Valley.

Samantha's drinking problem could be a health problem. Several conditions can exacerbate the effect of alcohol, but I don't see other symptoms.

Great story,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!