Changes~52

Printer-friendly version
I looked at David, not believing what I was hearing.

‘What?’

‘It’s true. The police very much want to speak to Olivia...

Changes

Chapter 52

By Susan Brown


 
 

Previously…

David was taking a long time and I wondered if he was unable to find a working phone. I was just about to get up to look for him, when he walked back in. He looked as white as a sheet as he looked over at me and motioned me outside. I got up carefully, not wanting to wake the snoozing Abby and followed him outside. There were hard plastic seats lining the corridor and David motioned me to sit on one and he sat beside me.

‘Well, I asked, ‘was he as obnoxious as usual?’

‘N—no.’

‘What’s wrong, David?’

‘Look, I erm, wasn’t able to speak to Nigel. He wasn’t available.’

‘What do you mean wasn’t available; was he away or something?’

‘Sort of.’

‘Look, David, you’re talking in riddles. Please tell me what’s going on?’

‘As I say I wasn’t able to speak to him. You should concentrate on Olivia and the baby.’

I looked at David, He was hiding something, I just knew it––

‘David, you may be the best vicar since Jesus did that neat thing with the loaves and fishes, but you are not a good liar. Please tell me the truth. I’m a big girl now. Did he have a bit of a go at you? He does that, the bully.’

He looked at me, had some sort of internal struggle and just shrugged. ‘When I rang his home, Nigel didn’t answer, it was a policeman––’

‘–So they caught up with the slimy so-an’-so, I knew that in the end––’

‘–Listen, Sam, please. He–they–found him.’

‘What do you mean, found him?’

David, if anything had turned even paler.

‘He was dead–on his bed and had been stabbed several times–’

And now the story continues…

I looked at David, not believing what I was hearing.

‘What?’

‘It’s true. The police very much want to speak to Olivia. There were signs in the house that she left in a hurry, taking Nigel’s car. They wouldn’t tell me any more, but I had to tell them where she is and the condition she’s in. The local police will probably be here very shortly.’

I sat there in silence, stunned at what I had heard. I couldn’t believe it–Nigel dead and Olivia a suspect. The blood on her dress, could it possibly be Nigel’s? It seemed very likely.

‘Oh God, David, what if she––’

He put a strong arm around me as I started sobbing again…this was getting all too much for me. ‘Look, you don’t know what happened and are assuming an awful lot. The only thing to do is to wait until she can talk to you or the police about it.’

‘I—I w—w—wondered w—why she came to me. She must have found out where I was and came to me. Was I the only person she could trust, even after all the heartache and the divorce hanging over us?’

‘She came to you because she knows that you are a good person, possibly the only one who she could trust. There are a lot of things we need to know and we will have to wait–’

The door to the waiting room opened and Abby and Jocasta came out, blinking in the harsh lights of the corridor.

‘What’s wrong?’ Jo asked, looking at her husband.

‘We’ve had some bad news,’ he said as I let go of him and ran to Abby, falling into her arms. After I calmed down a bit, we all went back into the waiting room and David explained all the terrible things that had happened.

‘My God, the creep has finally got what was coming to him,’ Abby exploded.

‘Abby, you shouldn’t say that!’

‘Why not, David? He lived by the sword and he died by the sword and what was that thing about an eye for an eye? He caused a great deal of suffering to a lot of people, including, I suspect, Olivia; so you won’t see any crocodile tears from me!’

‘Stop it, please!’ I cried, ‘Olivia’s in there fighting for her and her baby’s lives, please stop all this–this, arguing.’

Everyone went quiet then. Jocasta gave David the evil eye and I noticed that Abby looked slightly guilty about her outburst. The doors swung open and a very tired-looking Marcia came out. She looked at me and smiled gently.

‘Well?’ I asked.

‘Olivia’s sleeping and the baby has been transferred to an incubator. She is quite underdeveloped, but we have hopes.’

‘She?’

‘Yes, it’s a girl. She’s about three and a half pounds and needs help breathing. She’s having the best treatment possible and should be okay, but complications can arrive when children are born this prematurely, so we’ll just have to wait and see.’

‘And Olivia?’ I asked.

‘She’s poorly and we have had to give her some drugs to control her blood pressure and also given magnesium sulphate injections to help with controlling the Pre-eclampsia. She is asleep and will be until tomorrow. You should be able to visit then. The best thing you can do now is go home and have some rest–that’s what I’m doing!’

‘May I see the baby?’ I asked.

‘Yes, for a few moments. I’ll get a nurse to come and show you the way. But, Sam, you need rest; you still aren’t all that fit and this isn’t helping you, dear.’

‘I know, Marcia, I’ll go home soon–promise.’

‘Good girl. Well, ’night all.’

‘Marcia–thanks.’

She smiled. ‘All part of the service of Super Doc; you owe me a G&T, by the way.’

‘I’ll make sure it’s a double!’

After Marcia left, we said goodbye to Jo and David and they promised to call in the next day. I tried to thank them but got a bit choked up.

Abby and I followed the nurse, hand in hand, to see Olivia’s baby. As I walked into the IC baby unit, I was surprised at how quiet it was, just the beep, beep noises of the monitors and several incubators with tiny little babies in them. There was a nurse by each baby, constantly monitoring the condition of the baby in their care and it made me feel a bit humble at the miracles these people managed to perform every day by bringing many of the babies back from the brink.

We were led over to the far side of the room and as I looked at the tiny baby, wrapped in a white blanket, her tiny foot poking out of one end and an arm with a hand, sort of waving about at the other, I took in a deep breath. She was pretty in a wrinkled baby sort of way, with a few tufts of blond hair and a tiny button nose. She was small, too small and so very delicate with almost translucent skin. My eyes filled with tears as I watched the tiny thing and her struggle for life. She had a tube going up her nostril and a few other tubes in her arm and these together with some wires going under the blanket all emphasised the fact that she needed a lot of help to survive.

I looked at Abby and she, like me, was rather emotional at that point. I felt so sad for the tiny girl, brought into this world as a result of an affair, destined never to know her father or even her grandfather as she grew up. How Olivia would deal with having a baby, I didn’t know, I just hoped and prayed that she would have the opportunity.

‘Let’s go.’ I said perhaps a bit sharply.

I did not want to bond with this baby–I couldn’t, I mustn’t. She wasn’t mine and that was that… but I wanted to hold her and tell her that everything would be all right–NO!

I shook away such disturbing thoughts while we were ushered out by the nurse and slowly made our way back to the car. I think that Abby knew a little of how I was feeling, but didn’t say anything, for which I was truly grateful.

I noticed a couple of police cars with blue flashing lights at the hospital entrance and I guessed that the police were going to try and interview Olivia at the earliest opportunity. Not wanting to answer any questions, I was glad that we had left when we did.

At least the rain had stopped and the moon was full in the clearing sky. Abby took me back to her place and to be honest, I can’t remember too much of the journey back. We changed into clean nighties and wearily climbed into bed. Soon there were at least three cats surrounding us and I fell asleep to the tiny purrs of animals that had no idea what we had been through on this strangest of nights.

The next morning, I awoke rather late and the sun was well up in the sky and the day promised to be a warm one. Abby had already gone downstairs and I sat up in bed as she walked in with a welcoming morning mug of tea.

‘Drink this, love. I have spoken to the hospital and both mother and baby had a restful night.’

‘Thanks, honey.’ I said, and sipped the hot sweet drink.

‘I pretended that I was you, otherwise they wouldn’t have told me the time of day. I’m not good at deep manly voices but I did my best–remember, you are supposed to be a man, mind you, looking at you in that thin babydoll––anyway, there are two policemen parked outside her room and they’ve been there all night.’

‘Oh God, Abby, what a mess. I’m sorry to drag you into this. What do you see in me?’

‘Put your mug down.’

‘What?’

‘I said, “put your mug down,” you’ll spill it all over that nice white duvet cover.’

Puzzled, I did as she asked and she jumped on the bed and gave me a lovely long, lingering cuddle and a grade one, toe curling, French kiss.

After a few minutes of this, where I forgot what I was worried about or even what day of the week it was, she let go of me and leant back slightly.

‘Does that answer your question?’

‘What question?’

‘Good girl.’

After a hurried breakfast, we returned to the hospital; as we walked into the ward a very young, fresh faced Police Constable looked up and appeared to be rather puzzled.

‘I’m Samantha Smart.’

He looked down a list. ‘Sorry, are you Mrs Smart’s sister?’

I went a bit red in the face at that. ‘Erm no, husband, I’m a transsexual in transition.’

‘A trans…oh right, blimey, you’re a looker for a bloke. Oh Christ, sorry, not very PC am I?’

I smiled and managed to supress a giggle, thinking he was only PC as far as his job was concerned.

‘I’ll take that as a compliment; may I see my wife?’

‘Yea, sure, the guv’s in with ’er at the moment–’

‘Guv?’

‘Yes, Chief Inspect Gideon of the Yard. Your wife woke up about an hour ago. The nurses are a bit steamed up as she needs the rest, but in murder cases, we need to find out things fast, oh blimey, I’ve said too much–’

Abby snorted in a rather unladylike manner. ‘Oh, Trevor, you’re a ‘proper nana.’

‘Now, Abby, don’t you going sayin’ that to an officer of the law.’

‘Sam, this is PC Trevor Stephens, I went to school with his elder brother. I remember you, Trev, when you were in nappies.’

‘I don’t remember that. All I do know is that you used to boss me around something rotten. Anyway, I would prefer that you don’t tell that to the big cheese in there, or anything that might be taken down and used in evidence against me.’

‘What are you wittering on about, Trev, you haven’t said a single sensible thing to us yet. Now dish the dirt. Who killed the rat?’

‘You mean the deceased murder victim. We aren’t sure yet, that’s why Mrs Smart’s being interviewed.’

Just then the door opened and a man came out. He wore a slightly crumpled suit and had a decidedly “CID” look about him, you know–slightly shabby, seen everything, world weary, probably has a strange past, drove an old Jag and loved classical music–that sort of thing. The fact that our Trev stood to attention and saluted him sort of gave the game away too.

The man looked at us inquisitively.

‘You are?’ he asked.

‘Pardon?’ I answered.

‘Sorry, it’s been one of those days. I’m Chief Inspect Gideon. Are related to Mrs Smart?’

‘I’m her husband,’ I replied. He looked at me and his eyebrows lifted a centimetre.

‘Okaaay, and you, madam?’

‘I’m her lover,’ Abby replied chirpily. I nearly cracked up at that. We were pushing his buttons and he knew it. What was all that about keeping a low profile? Well a low profile hadn’t helped me much up to now, so what the hell.

He rubbed his eyes with his hand and I felt somewhat sorry for him.

‘Can you spare a few minutes for some questions?’ he asked.

‘How is Olivia?’

‘Asleep, I couldn’t get anything out of her. The sister says that she may not wake up until later, so I thought I would like this opportunity to ask you a few questions, if that’s all right?’

‘Okay.’

‘The Sister has kindly let me use an empty room so shall we go?’

We followed him across the corridor and into a room. It had a bed in it and some chairs. I sat down in one and he sat down in another.

‘Would you mind waiting outside, Miss?’ he said to Abby.

‘Oh, right, okay. I’ll go and get Trev a coffee or something.’

‘You know the constable?’

‘Yes, we go way back, nice boy.’

‘If you say so, Miss.’

Abby winked at me and left the room, shutting the door behind her.

‘Right, erm, Mr erm Mrs…what do you want me to call you?’

‘Samantha will do, Chief Inspector.’

‘Right, err–okay–’ He shuffled a few papers on a desk, took a notebook from his jacket and picked up a pen.

‘I’ll just make a few notes for now but will need you to go to the local police station at some point to do a formal statement.’

‘Okay, but can you tell me what happened?’

‘In a bit, first can I ask you some questions?’

‘Go ahead.’

‘Please tell me what happened last night at your cottage–’

I told him everything about finding Olivia outside in the pouring rain and getting her to the hospital. He then asked about our marriage and didn’t seem very surprised that we were in the process of a divorce. I had to tell him that the baby wasn’t mine and I wondered why I felt a stab in my heart when I said that. He already knew about the poison-pen letters my friends and I had been receiving and I wondered in passing, why he looked so surprised when I had told him who I was.

After about half an hour he ran out of questions, so I asked a few of my own. ‘So, can you tell me what happened?’

‘Well it is under investigation so we can’t discuss all aspects but essentially, we received a phone call from a hysterical woman to say that Nigel Manning had been stabbed. When my colleagues arrived, there was no sign of Mrs Smart and we found Mr Manning on the bed. He had been stabbed several times and was naked. We don’t know who killed him yet, but Mrs Smart is a prime suspect as she had evidently had blood on her dress. We will need to see the dress by the way. Is it at your home?’

‘Yes, we had to strip her because she was soaked to the skin. But if she did kill Nigel, it was probably justified.’

He looked at me through his slightly bushy eyebrows.

‘Yes, we know all about Mister Nigel Manning. He has quite a few enemies, so I won’t only be looking at Mrs Smart as a suspect.’ He looked at his watch. ‘Right, I have a few things to do. Can I send a constable around to pick up the dress?’

‘Yes, he can let himself in; the key’s under the mat.’

He shook his head. ‘And you wonder why there are so many burglaries?’

‘Not here, Chief Inspector. We have an informal Neighbourhood Watch and not much gets missed by the locals around here.’

‘You may be right,’ he sighed as he got up and shook my hand. ‘I’ll be in touch.’

As he left the room, I had to ask; ‘Chief Inspector?’

‘Yes?’

‘Why did you seem surprised when you saw me?’

He looked a bit embarrassed and then sighed. ‘Well, I knew about you, of course, but expected to see a bloke in a dress, not an attractive young woman–anyway, I must dash–’ With that he left and, smiling, I went to find Abby.

She was standing with Trevor at the door of Olivia’s room and they were sharing some sort of joke. Abby glanced at me and smiled as I approached.

Spanish Inquisition over?’ she asked.

‘Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition, but anyway, he’s not such a bad chap.’

‘You didn’t tell him about anything I, erm, might have said?’ Trevor asked, anxiously.

‘No, your indiscretions are safe with us. I must go and see Olivia, want to come?’ I asked, looking at Abby.

‘No, honey, you go, I’ll wait here and carry on tormenting Trevor about his childhood–’

I knocked and entered, leaving Abby with a gleam in her eye and a Trevor who looked decidedly uncomfortable,

The slight smile on my face was wiped off at the sight of Olivia. Like her baby, she had tubes and leads all over her. The monitor was beeping and although her eyes were half open, she was far from awake.

The nurse, sitting on a stool at the end of the bed, was writing something on a chart and then looked up.

‘Are you Samantha?’ she asked smiling.

‘Yes.’

‘I’ve been told about you.’

‘Nothing bad I hope?’

‘No…anyway. I’ll leave you alone for a while. I can monitor her vitals from the nurses’ station for a bit, but don’t be too long.’

‘Is she awake?’

‘She keeps drifting in and out. Ring on that bell if you need me.’

‘Thanks.’ I said as she left the room, closing the door quietly and I went over to the bed and sat down beside her.

I hesitated for a minute, looking at her very pale face and then I leaned across and held her hand. For a few seconds nothing happened and then her eyes fluttered open and looked into mine. She smiled. ‘Hello, Tom, you look pretty.’

I didn’t feel particularly pretty and I didn’t correct her calling me “Tom”. I don’t think that she would ever see me as Samantha, but all that didn’t matter to me now.

‘How–how’s the baby?’

‘Small, but she’s a fighter.’

‘Good, I want her to live sooo much.’ Her eyes closed for a moment and then opened again. ‘My head’s splitting–’

‘–I’ll call the nurse–’

‘–No, don’t go, they gave me some pain killers a few minutes ago. Is that policeman still here?’

‘No, he’s gone off somewhere.’

‘I pretended to be asleep; I didn’t want to speak to him yet. I wanted to explain to you first.’

‘Why me; why did you come to me?’

She took a deep breath then winced a bit–she was obviously in some pain and I couldn’t do much about it.

‘When I saw Daddy lying on the bed, with all that blood, I nearly fainted. I cuddled him for a moment and then he died. Then I sort of panicked–not wanting whoever did that to him to come back and kill me and the baby–so I ’phoned the police and just left. I used Daddy’s car because it’s powerful and had a full tank. I was so numb, I couldn’t even cry. I just drove and drove. Then the headaches started and I felt pains all over. I managed to carry on though after a bit of a sleep at a service station. I wanted to get to you, because you’re the only good person I know–’ She stopped for a moment and took a few deep breaths.

‘I’ll call the nurse––’

–‘NO! Please, Tom, let me finish.’ She seemed to pull herself together and then continued. ‘I need to tell you, so please don’t interrupt. I’ve treated you terribly, I know that. Those other men didn’t mean anything to me. Something you don’t know is about the abortions.’

‘I do know about them––’

‘–Yes, but what you do not know is that Daddy was the father. He used and abused me, but he was my Daddy and I still loved him. Why? I don’t know. He started having sex with me when I was fifteen and, believe it or not, I thought that it was normal–I just didn’t know anything else–I was so naíve sexually. I should have been on the pill or he should have used condoms but he wanted to prove how big a man he was and that he could still produce offspring. He said we shouldn’t keep the babies because they would be deformed as we were too closely related. He probably just wanted to hide the evidence. I was weak, and should have been stronger, but I wasn’t. Then you came into my life and things started to get better. You were a cross dresser and I didn’t mind that and could live with it. Let’s face, it my upbringing was far from normal so whatever ‘hobby’ like that you had was okay by me.’

Once again she stopped and blinked as if the lights overhead were hurting her eyes. I gave her some water as her voice was beginning to sound croaky. I wanted to say something but I couldn’t I was so shocked at what she was saying. She seemed to want to get all the bad stuff off her chest and if that would help her recovery, I would wait until she finished before saying anything.

‘Then…Then you started dressing more and more. I couldn’t understand it. I thought that it was just a bit of fun with you, but it wasn’t; you wanted to be a girl–a blind person could see that. I got jealous because you looked so pretty when dressed as a woman, and I felt that I wasn’t married to a man any more–I was married to an attractive woman. Daddy didn’t know about this and I had been sworn to secrecy about our earlier, what he called indiscretions. I needed a man who I could have a bonk with–as you know, my sex drive is very strong–so I had a number of affairs, but I didn’t want to have anyone’s baby but yours.’

The nurse then came in. ‘Are you alright?’ she asked.

‘Yes, I've got a headache, but it’s not so bad now.’

‘Well, your blood pressure is getting slightly elevated so I’ll call the doctor in a minute.’ With that she left, telling me not to tax or tire the patient.

Olivia continued as if the nurse had never come in.

‘I—I t—told Daddy that you weren’t man enough for me and I had had sex with others. He said that perhaps your sex drive was low or as he put it, you were firing blanks. This gave me an idea: I persuaded you to go to have a sperm count, remember?–and you were told that you had a low sperm count. Well, unknown to you, I had bribed the clinic to hold back some of your sperm for later use–I am my daddy’s daughter, you know. You have to understand that I would and could not have sex with you again with you dressed as a woman. I had hoped you would have stopped if I had asked, because I wanted my Tom to be a man and not some poor excuse for a woman, forever wanting to be dressed as a female–I know how much of a grip it has on you. So, you see I thought that if I had your baby by artificial insemination, you would stop this nonsense for the sake of the baby and be a man. So I went to the clinic, got inseminated by your sperm and waited to see if it took. Luckily it did, and I fell pregnant, but I still had this insatiable drive to have naughty sex and that was when you caught me in bed with someone. It was to be the last one, I promise, before I told you of my little deception and that we were going to be parents. Then it all went pear-shaped and you left me and my life unravelled–’

She began to cry and all I could do was cuddle her. I was numb and totally shocked by her revelation. Tears were streaming down my cheeks and she was shuddering violently. Dimly, I was aware of some alarms jangling and within seconds, the room was full of staff and I was bundled hurriedly out of the room. Abby, standing by Trevor, saw my face and immediately came and embraced me. Shortly afterwards, I found myself in a waiting room with Abby sitting by me, hugging me tightly.

It appears that Olivia had had a severe stroke and was in a coma. Marcia arrived shortly afterwards and after a quick hug, she went to see what was going on. My brain ached with all that had gone on and what I had been told. I could not believe what Nigel had done to Olivia and I hoped sincerely that he would rot in hell. Sadly, Olivia suffered through being the daughter of a perverted and repellent father, so no way could I find it in my heart to blame her for what she did.

Thirty minutes later, Marcia came in and sat beside me. Immediately, I understood from her solemn expression that her news was not good.

‘Sam, I’m so very sorry, my dear; she’s gone–’


To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
402 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

His Evil Coninues

Now, only Olivia and Tom's daughter remain as a legacy of his evil. But the mystery remains, and now, Samantha and Abby have a daughter. Can Dotty and her friends protect the cove from the oncoming storm? Or is life there now in need of an army to shield it from his evil?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That tidies it all up !

When I first read this, i thought "well, that was a neat way of tidying it all up - nasty Nigel and 'orrible Olivia dead, and Abbey and Samantha have a Baby to mind."

Something tells me you will still have some more surprises in store for us and it won't end like that. Real Life is never that neat.

Briar

Briar

Not as simple as it first looks

‘When I saw Daddy lying on the bed, with all that blood, I nearly fainted. I cuddled him for a moment and then he died. Then I sort of panicked—not wanting whoever did that to him to come back and kill me and the baby—so I ’phoned the police and just left."

So Olivia didn't kill Nigel and there's still a murderer on the loose. Will he or she come after Sam? And does this murderer have anything to do with the poison pen letters?

Now Nigel and Olivia are dead and Sam is the father of the child. Hmm! A tangled web, Sue.

See, I do pay attention sometimes.

Susie

Poor Baby

RAMI

So it is Tom's baby after all. Or did Olivia final breath was another lie. Fortunately today a simple DNA test would confirm everything. (I use Tom and not Samantha because when I suggested that Samantha and Abby could have a child with each other - the old fashion way, I was severely chastised for NOT being understanding enough to know that Trans Sexuals like Samantha would Never want to "father" a child naturally or use their original equipment in that manner or even take the steps necessary for artificial insemination. So it would have been Tom even if deceived who provided the Sperm to create the child).

Nigel was more of a bastard then I thought. Rape/Incest with one's daughter is without question one of the most disgusting perverted acts possible. And I join the chorus may be roast in the deepest hell possible. There is no forgiveness possible for such a crime.

That Samantha lived through that was amazing. The question is would Tom have become Samantha if he had learned that Olivia was having his baby, even after discovering her with another man.

RAMI

sucession

nigel dies, leaving all his worldly posessions to his only daughter (i guess)

then she dies and her husband inherits it all.

that would mean sam now owns nigel businesses. or will once the courts are finished with it.

so how will nigel's business partners react to the new boss?

Sam is a father, a mother and...

most likely the heir of the estates of Nigel and Olivia. I don't think Olivia was lying, so she isn't the murderer, she was her father's heir. Sam is still Olivia's spouse so he inherits from Olivia, although I'm sure he is more concerned in providing for the baby than himself. So who is murderer and who is/ was behind the poison pen letters? We may have two different people involved. I suspect that Nigel or those acting on his behalf authored the letters. His murder is not merely a coincidence, however; I believe that he was murdered by associates/ underlings/ confederates/ whatever whose activities are now under official investigation as a result of his pressure on Samantha. He went to far in pressuring Sam and between what the private investigators unearthed and the official enquiry brought about by Lady F, Nigel's fellow criminals wanted their pound of flesh from him.

Questions remain, of course. If Nigel wasn't responsible for the poison pen letters, who was responsible, and is that person going to go after Sam and the baby? If the letters were Nigel's doing, will the murderer come after Sam and the baby?

Sue, your story is a great one and I'm enjoying all the twists as I try to predict the next turn of events. I do have a question for you. Is there a conspiracy going on between you and Angharad? If any Russian thugs show up in the Cove, or Cathy arrives to heal the premature baby, we will discover once and for all that two great writers are really one. :-)

Good Points

However if Sam is now to inherit, she could very well now be the focus of Nigel's murderer's intentions, when they come to try to get the money from her.

Kim

Oh my.

Athena N's picture

Naive that I am, I thought the tissue alert referred to the episode at the neonatal ICU. It certainly brought misty-eyed flashbacks to the time I spent years ago in a similar place with my own daughter (who is doing fine these days). But the chapter went on.

Poor Olivia, may she rest in peace. It seems she wasn't at all the utterly self-centered manipulator we thought, and both we readers and a few of the central characters owe her posthumous apologies. Hopefully Samantha can get over what happened, and continue her journey towards happiness with Abby and her newborn baby.

Likely Heirs??

RAMI

Who will inherit from whom, is not that easy a question. I do not know what the specific inheritance laws are in England. Are they the same throughout the entire U.K. If I remember from school that Scottish law and English law in inheritance is different.

The facts here would make an excellent Wills Trust and Estates Law School Exam.

In most U.S. jurisdictions what would need to be determined in part is as follows:

As for Nigel:

How were his assets held. In his name? In a Trust? In company stock.
Were any assets jointly owned or had pay on death ownership. Did he have a Last Will and Testament or did he die Intestate (without a will)

Let's assume that he had a Will and left everything in the will to Olivia. Then she may inherit, unless the will had a simultaneous death clause, that would prevent Olivia from inheriting if she died either with Nigel or within a certain amount of time after his death. Then if such clause existed, an alternative beneficiary would inherit.

As for Olivia:

If Olivia did get everything, then in most jurisdictions, her husband would get what is called an elective or spouses share, which is often a stated amount and a percentage of the estate (often 30-35%), plus certain other benefits with the rest being left to the baby.

Since there are a lot of ifs, determining who gets what could take a lot of legal work.

RAMI

RAMI

Complications

So... Bonding isn't that much of an issue. Paternity tests will prove that Samantha is the parent! Hello, Baby!

As for inheritance, it's complicated by any criminal legal proceedings. Normally, absent any wills to the contrary, as Nigel pre-deceased Olivia and she was the presumable sole heir (that is, if Olivia was an only child and Nigel was presently unmarried and unencumbered by a divorce agreement), Nigel's estate would fall to Olivia which would in turn fall to Samantha. In some jurisdictions, though, a murderer can not benefit from their crime. Not sure what the case law is in England, but it might not be possible to posthumously convict Olivia, defendants generally having a right to defend themselves which is hard to do from beyond the grave.

Samantha's testimony of Olivia's last words might be rejected as well, as she has something to gain.

Well, let's hope that detective is good enough to figure out what happened, both to find the real culprit and to avoid encumbering Olivia's inheritance. I remember Horace Rumpole made his mark in the Old Bailey with his knowledge of blood spatter patterns. Stabbing someone would result in micro-droplets or something, and not just a big blotch from hugging the deceased.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

The Last Words...

...may be suspect, but unless there was evidence to the contrary, the government would assume Tom was the child's father. In any case, if Samantha were to put in a claim for custody, I doubt that the state or anyone else would want to challenge it whether Tom's the birth father or not.

(OK, I guess it's possible that one or more of Olivia's lovers might put in a claim in order to be able to use the inheritance money, in which case a paternity test would be needed.)

Only hesitation I have about Olivia's explanation is that she had the whole trip to decide what she was going to tell Tom, and she would have wanted Tom to keep the baby if she were imprisoned for Nigel's death (guilty or not). That kind of outright lie may not be what we've come to expect from her lately, but if her story is true she knew very well when conception occurred, and yet she backed it up by a month in her original message to make abortion seem less desirable.

Eric

Just speculation on the part of the murderer

That person is probably a female. Why else would Nigel be naked and in his own bed. So it had to be someone Nigel knew quite well and comfortable enough to take to bed. A secretary?, Someone who he was black mailing perhaps? A jilted lover?

I doubt it would have been a male, unless Nigel swung that way, for then it would have been a lover, why else would he have been naked, and other guys that had it in for him, wouldn't have taken the time to undress him.

I guess Olivia could still have done it and went into a mental block about her doing it. Her mind just went into overdrive at the time of the deed, and blocked it from herself because of the trauma.

Granted the unexpected windfall of getting Nigels estates is going to be a real issue, especially since people were after Nigel and his money. I'm sure Samantha wants nothing to do with it, but is forced to handle it all. Nigel's ghost's will probably make Sam's life horrible. I do so hope Sam will be able to survive it.

Now Sam and Abby are both going to be mothers. I'm sure Sam will enjoy being one, now that he knows the baby really is his; or is it? Was Olivia on the level? Like someone said earlier, Olivia was a habitual liar, was she really telling the truth on her death bed or just another fabrication? They can always do a DNA test and find out for sure if it is Sam's baby.

I will wait for the next installment to see what will happen.

Such a tangled web you weave...

Susan, you are doing an awesome job, didn't see the artificial insemination thing coming. I think that Sam should request a paternity test to firm things up with the baby and put that potential monster to rest. As for the inheritance, sell off all of Nigels businesses before they mire Sam down them dirty roads.

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=12...

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

Wow... talk about clearing

Wow... talk about clearing the benches. Once we have a murderer you will be at a good stopping point, but wow, what a way to solve a problem. Murder and Stroke, very over the top. Nicely done.

So it looks like Sam and Abby are going to have a baby now. Happy fun time. I can't wait for them to get married.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Hum, did Olivia use all the bottled sperm up?

If not then Abby can have Samantha's child.

As was argued -- and I got a PM on this subject too some while back -- many, perhaps most TG MtF would not want to have sex as their born sex or to have to donate sperm as they see their male genitals as a defect BUT as Tom, Samantha was willing for some time to only crossdress and be her male lover because she loved Olivia and wanted a family.

If some of that frozen sperm is in storage Abby is in luck. I doubt they used it all, they and she would want to make sure Olivia had a baby before destroying it and themn only if she requested it. As much as she is a woman now would Samantha deny Abby a child of their own? Samantha is too kind, she would find a way to make Abby happy. If there is none in storage she might be willing to have some extracted -- perhaps it can be done other than by *hand* -- bad groaner joke -- for his love to conceive with.

I agree, as much for their peace of mind as it is for the premature baby's sake, do the DNA tests. I don't believe Olivia lied in the end, I suspect all she said about her, her dad, his death and their past was true. Love to see the look on the more obnoxious former co-workers of Samantha when it is announce SHE is the new owner and boss.

I suspect much of what Daddy Deadest said to Samantha was self-serving and designed to keep the secret of his having sex with his daughter a secret.

The real murder is still out there and maybe a separate poison pen writer. Though unless they were careful it is easy to develop prints off of paper, Ninhydren spray is one if my old chemistry lesions are not forgotten. The poison pen stuff seems right up dead daddies ally.

What a tangled web you weave. At least Olivia died knowing Samantha, her former Tom, would take care of their child. So sad, thinking of what she could have had, what they could have had without the evil of her dad looming over everything.

By the way, a neighbor had horrid headaches for a number of weeks, got pain meds from a script happy doctor, it got worse and finally went in to hospital. They discovered several aneurisms and some prior leakage. They ruptured just after the tests minutes before they were to send him in for emergency surgury and he lingered in a nursing home, in a vegetative state for a decade before his death,

Olivia was lucky in a way.

Poor Olivia, poor little girl, poor Abby, poor Samantha, rot in Hell, Nigel.

I hope the copper feels guilty in trying to question her, mind you the headaches likely were due to a small aneurism leaking so she might have had the massive stroke anyway.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

What a Chapter!

Not in my wildest dreams would I have guessed any of what happened! Poor Samantha! She certainly has been dragged through a rough, tough few hours! But I'm sure our heroine will come through it all in fine fettle!

Diane

Sobering...

This chapter closes out certain parts of Sam's life and leaves many new and unexpected directions. What if the person who did Nigel in has got her/himself written into the will and contests Sam's and the child's claim? There need to be some motive behind the act. Some of Nigel's nefarious activities coming back and exacting revenge.

Samantha will need to tell the story that she heard from Olivia to the Constable. How will Lady F figure into the solution?

Great episode Sue, looking forward to your next posting.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Better the enemy you know...

But with Nigel dead, it is out of the question.
Nothing illegal is done without thinking about benefiting from it.
So now Sam will likely have someone gunning for her.
And I think Sam should relocate the key - it's way too obvious where it is kept!

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Well Sue you got me on that one!

In chapter 39 I made a comment that Nigel was possibly the father, I never in my wildest dreams thought of Oliva using a sperm bank, what a super twisted mind you have? (for the good of course).

This means the baby girl's covered.

Oliva's demise was inevitable but tidy.

A lot of comments on the inheritance, but who cares, if anything did eventuate I believe Samantha would donate it to a good cause, she is not the character you have built up to accept bad money!

Who done Nigel in: Well I'm going to predict the following.

- Dotty's Butler.

- and I still believe that Dotty is TG?

Are we coming close to a finale Sue? You seem to be tidying up some loose ends?

I could enjoy another 50 chapters, but I'm happy to read your other beautiful stories.

Thank you so much for a great story in this one and your other work.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I came very close to crying

terrynaut's picture

* * * SPOILER WARNING * * *

If Olivia's last words were, "Take care of our little baby girl," I would've cried for sure.

This is quite the story, as changeable as the weather, both over there (at least in Yorkshire where my girlfriend lives) and here in the Western Washington.

I'm happy to see that part of my wild guess was correct. It's odd but I had a strange feeling that the baby was Samantha's. I know I didn't comment on it. I thought it was too much so I kept quiet. I'm glad to see that my intuition is in fine form.

Thanks very much for the story. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

I did cry as I read this

Pamreed's picture

I did cry as I read this latest!! That poor child will first have to struggle to survive and then live with her history!!
But Samantha and Abby will be there for her and she should have a happy childhood growing up i8n the cove!!! Samantha again showed what a wonderful person she is!!! She deserves nothing but happiness, but I wonder what is in store for her!!
Will she become entangled in the twisted web that Nigel spun!!
I still think that Dotty will be a source of strength and comfort to Samantha and her new daughter!!

Thank you Sue for continuing to bring us a wonderful story!!!

Hugs,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

After 21 comments

there is not a lot left to say, Other than this story just keeps on getting better and better, Top writing Sue long may you continue.

Kirri

Caught up!

All 52 chapters so far in 3 days (err...53 hours, according to "Track" - I can assure you I have slept and gone to work in between blocks of chapters!) - is there such a thing as Readaholics Anonymous? Or perhaps I'm an Obsessive, Compulsive Reader? :)

-oOo-

With Nigel's estate, HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs - essentially Inland Revenue + Customs & Excise persuaded to 'live' together) will get the first cut (what was owed to them under the investigation launched a few chapters ago), followed by any other known creditors (i.e. those doing legitimate, above board business). The remainder would presumably become part of Olivia's estate, and HMRC would take another cut (Inheritance Tax - 0% of the first £325,000, 40% of the rest).

The same would then apply to Olivia's estate - creditors would get paid off first, then presumably Sam would inherit whatever was left over - after the deduction of inheritance tax if still worth more than £325,000. (Info courtesy of Wikipedia - easier to find than trawling HMRC's own website...)

As the old adage goes, there are only two things certain in life - death and taxes.

-oOo-

Of course, then we get another set of problems - not only whoever sent the poison pen letters and murdered Nigel (the latter probably being either a "business associate" involved with Nigel's underhand dealings, another sexually abused female, or one of the victims of his loan sharking), but Nigel's "business associates" and goons (let's face it, if he was involved in underhand dealings, he wouldn't have left a convenient audit trail or written receipts)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

umm.. what killed her?

Sadarsa's picture

Ok i know this is a very late comment, as i've only just discovered this story. I've enjoyed it thus far surprisingly since i dont normally like real world transgender tales and prefer Magic or fantasy ect. My real question is what killed her though. A stroke, sure, caused by complications of her delivery. But what was the cause? why was she seemingly injured, lying on the ground near death in the pouring rain? Her father was already dead when she discovered him so there was no injury's inflicted to her at all..

Sure she was in a panic, but that doesn't cause you keel over dead.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~