Changes~57

Printer-friendly version
The next few days passed in a whirl. I was in and out of my gallery all the time, helping–or hindering–Arthur...

Changes

Chapter 57

By Susan Brown


 
 

Previously…

My thoughts turned back to my home–Penmarris and all the loved ones that I had here. I literally ached to see Abby and Heather again and I had only been away a short while. I longed to see my friends again and the cottages and cats and the gallery and pottery and all the nutty people who lived in the cove.

If it was light enough when I get home, I would go for a walk, hopefully with Abby, along the coast path and watch the sunset go down over the cove, then we would go and see Heather for a while. Then I saw no reason why we couldn’t have fish and chips down by the harbour before leisurely making our way home and then–well, I’m sure you can guess what I would want to happen then.

And now the story continues…

The next few days passed in a whirl. I was in and out of my gallery all the time, helping–or hindering–Arthur. I was also spending as much time as I could with Heather, and was on the phone to Georgina at New Dawn Enterprises to make sure everything was running smoothly there. Evidently, the staff had taken the news of Roger’s demise–if you want to call it that–as an event of “exceeding great joy” rather than one of sadness. Everyone seemed to be happy with the new regime and I hoped that things would continue that way.

Katie had presented me with a pile of business papers to go over and I was trying, unsuccessfully, to pluck up the enthusiasm to look at them. I decided that the following week, if I had time, I would go through the stuff with Katie and Abby and try to make some sense out of it all. It looked increasingly as if I might have to employ someone to be my assistant and I was wondering if the bubble gum girl at the printers would want another job–then giggled at that rather bizarre thought!

The printer had come up trumps with the posters and also some leaflets. I got the local Scouts to deliver to all the residences in the village–The scoutmaster wanted an arm and a leg but just settled for a leg in payment. In fact, I promised there would be a new purpose built building for them, the Cubs and the Guides–not forgetting the Brownies. This was a moment of shear madness, but, as I have said before, now I was rich, I wasn’t going to keep all the dosh to myself. Katie was looking into properties for them and said that the Scouts and Guides thought that I was the best thing since sliced bread. I wasn’t sure if that was a compliment or not but I took it at face value.

It gave me a great deal of pleasure to help the community when I could, but I didn’t want to come over all heavy about it. I would be careful of about who and what I supported. I had a soft spot for the Cubs and Scouts because I had been one, not a very good one because my knots were a disgrace and I always put my woggle on upside down, but still, they were patient with me and that was nice. Mind you, I had really wanted to be a Brownie and a Guide, but for some strange reason, the authorities wouldn’t accept me at the time.

One morning I was in the gallery, sorting out some of my paintings while Arthur was messing about with the plumbing, when I heard a knock on the window. Looking up, I saw a young woman standing there; she was holding a large art portfolio case. I went and opened the door.

‘Hello,’ I said, ‘can I help you?’

‘Yes, I have heard that you are willing to exhibit the works of local artists?’

‘That’s right. Look, please come in.’

With a nod of thanks she came in and I sat her down in a corner away from the noise and the litter. I dragged up a chair and sat opposite her.

She was thin, with long straight hair, about twenty or twenty one, I suppose and wore gold rimmed spectacles. She was smartly dressed in a cream blouse and white peasant style skirt.

‘’I…I have some works that I would like to show, if you feel they are good enough.’

‘That sounds great. Let’s have a look then?’ I said enthusiastically.

She pulled out the first piece and uncovered it. It was a watercolour of the cove on a misty morning. The view was unmistakable and you could clearly see the sea, the quay, the cottages and shops, the blend of colours and intelligent use of shade and light–chiaroscuro for those with a technical bent–made one feel that this was no mere painting but a work with life and vibrancy.

‘Oh, it’s beautiful!’ I exclaimed.

‘Thank you, I painted it last year. Would you like to see some of the others?’

‘Please!’

She showed me several watercolours, all based in and around the cove at various times of the season. They were all well crafted and like the first, full of life and colour.

‘Well, ‘she asked, ‘Are they good enough to hang?’

‘Most definitely, I would be delighted and privileged to hang them for you; they are wonderful!’

I made her a cup of tea as we pored over the paintings. Stopping after a few moments I took a look at her. ‘I don’t even know your name.’

‘Pauline Simmons.’

‘I’m Samantha.’

‘I know. Everyone knows you. I think that it’s really great that you’re opening up a gallery here. We’ve needed something like this for an awfully long time.’

‘Where did you learn to paint?’

‘Paris, I was an art student there. Usual stuff, Left Bank, impoverished student, sold cartoons and likenesses of tourists. It was great, but it didn’t pay much. Then I got caught up with Henri, another student and I fell pregnant. He didn’t want to know–the pig–and his family said that it wasn’t anything to do with their darling son, so I came home to the UK without my degree and a bun in the oven.’

‘What about your parents?’

‘Mummy and Daddy died years ago–car crash, so I was brought up by foster parents from the age of eleven. All the adoptive parents wanted babies–no strings or hang-ups, I suppose–anyway, I finally ended up with some permanent foster parents when I was fourteen. They were nice and sent me to a good school. I got good enough grades to go to Uni and I’d always hankered after going to Paris to learn. So because I had this gift as an artist, I was taken on by á‰cole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts; a wonderful place to learn and it was very inspirational to walk in the steps of some of the Great Masters.’

‘Yes, it must have been. I wish I had had the chance to do that. I am just self-taught really, but I did art at school and college, and I was told that I had the gift–whatever that is, but real life got in the way and it’s only now that I can realise my dream.’

‘Yes, it’s really nice here and the light is wonderful–all those large windows and I like the way you have the spotlights. You can display works in the best possible way. So when will you be opening?’

‘Very soon.’

‘That’s great. So how does this work?’

‘Well, I exhibit your paintings and you–of course–price them. I receive twenty percent of what you get for them. Is that fair?’

‘Very fair, I know some galleries charge fifty percent.’

‘Yes, that’s a total rip-off. I want this to be more of a showcase for local artists and as long as the costs are covered, I’m happy.’

We chatted on for another hour. I showed her some of my own works and she was very impressed. Then we decided on which ones of hers that we would hang first. I limited it to three paintings because I wanted space for others too.

After that she had to go as the babysitter needed relieving. She had a little boy called Ben and it was obvious that he was the apple of her eye. I told her that I had a baby daughter and we agreed to meet up for a sort of mother’s coffee morning when Heather finally got out of hospital.

I called at the pottery after Pauline had left. I wanted to tell Abby the exiting news about Pauline, but she was up to her elbows in clay, showing some of the children from the village infants’ school how she threw pots. So I just mouthed ‘see you later,’ and left her to it. Judging from the faces of the little ones, they were fascinated by it all.

I strolled down to the quay and sat outside the Copper Kettle and had a latte and a Danish pastry. It was fairly quiet down there, with only the occasional passer-by. The summer season had virtually ended now and it was only at weekends when the weather was fine, that it got very busy.

I was sipping my drink when someone said, ‘Hi, Samantha, you look comfortable.’

‘Hello, Jocaster, pull up a pew.’

‘Don’t mind if I do,’ she said as she sat down beside me and swiftly ordered a carbon copy of my order.

‘How’s young Heather coming along?’

‘Getting better. She’s gaining weight and looks bigger too. She drinks like a fish–’

‘–Do fish drink?’

‘I haven’t a clue, but you know what I mean.’

‘Mmm. So when’s she coming home?’

‘I don’t know yet, but we are going to ask Arthur to do an emergency job of changing one of the rooms into a nursery.

‘At yours or Abby’s?’

‘Abby’s we’ve got more room there.’

‘What are you going to do with your cottage?’

‘Buy it, if I can. I want to use it as an office and studio; you know that I’m a sort of business magnate now?’

‘Is that what attracted Abby to you?’

‘What?’ I asked puzzled.

‘Attracted–magnet, get it?’

I groaned; ‘No puns, please, I might be sick and I don’t want to waste this yummy pastry.’

‘So do you think randy old Albert Mogg will sell?’

‘Millie reckons that if she flashes her bosom at him enough, I might get it for free.’

‘It might give him a heart attack.’

‘Mmm, I might ask Millie to tone down the bosom parading bit. I don’t want a heart attack on my conscience.’

‘What’s it like being rich and powerful.’

‘A pain in the neck–and other less polite parts of the body. I came down here for peace and quiet and I have had more things happen to me in a few short months than ever happened to me in my life before. If this was a soap opera, viewers would leave in droves–too fanciful by half!’

‘At least life isn’t boring.’

‘I could do with a bit of being bored for a while!’

We finished our drinks and comestibles and left. We said goodbye at the top of the lane and I made my way to Abby’s cottage. The cats needed feeding and I wanted to change my clothes, I had spilt some coffee down my skirt and I wanted to put in the wash before it dried too much.

As I walked down the road thinking of Pauline and her gorgeous paintings, I sort of sensed someone coming up to me from behind. I turned and there, in an ancient dress and battered hat was the old sage who had came out with those cryptic puzzles on two previous occasions. She pulled at my sleeve and I stopped.

Looking up at me with rheumy eyes, she smiled. I noticed that two front teeth were missing and wondered why at her age she didn’t have dentures on the NHS.

‘Can I help you?’ I asked.

‘Remember the curious incident of the dog in the night-time? Watch out for the son of Babbage. Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’

‘I beg your Pardon?’ I said.

‘I have said enough.’ With that she shambled off mumbling to herself.

I continued on my way, wondering if I should say something to Marcia about the old lady. Maybe she should be locked up or given some sort of medication.

I arrived home and was welcomed by a posse of pussies–or do I mean a pride or a rabble–all wanting to play, stalk or eat me. Having fed and watered the inner beasts and given a number of cuddles and strokes–two per cat, there’s a recession on–I was free to go and change my skirt.

After washing the soiled skirt, I went and sat by the pond. It was peaceful and pleasant here and I relaxed on the patio and let myself drift off…

I was awoken by a sound. It wasn’t a normal sound and I wasn’t sure what it was, but I think it was a sort of metallic chink sort of noise.

I rubbed my eyes and then regretted it as I had smudged my makeup, but then I heard the noise again. Lifting a cat off my lap, I stood up and made my way round to the side of the house where both my darling little Beemer and Abby’s car, Dolly, were parked. I heard the sound of running footsteps retreating away from me as I turned the corner. I couldn’t see anyone so he or she had gone. My heart was beating rather a lot as I turned away from the lane and gazed over at the cars.

I gasped as on the bonnet of my lovely shining car, written in red paint was:

‘Leave now, we don’t want your sort here.’


To Be Continued…

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments…thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
378 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The plot

So if it isn't old sourpuss, who is it?

Rearranging the colour scheme of Sam's Beemer is inner city stuff, not seaside idyll.

Methinks this is only a plot for Sue to get more episodes in - thank goodness.

Mind you, the way everyone seems to look out for each other, I shoudln't think it'll be long before he or she is caught in the act and aprehended.

Susie

Prophecy

These get weirder and weirder! Let's see what I can fathom (with the aid of Wikipedia):

The Curious Incident... is a Mark Haddon novel, which won Whitbread Book of the Year in 2003. The protagonist was a 15 year old boy with autism. The title refers to him discovering his neighbour's dog had been murdered with a garden fork (culprit turned out to be his dad).

More trouble from Nigel's goons? After all, Nigel was involved in more businesses than just New Dawn Enterprises. Although...
New Dawn - finding the dog's body in early morning - perhaps they discover more skeletons in NDE's closet?

Charles Babbage had 8 sons, of which the youngest, Henry Prevost Babbage, build six working Difference Engines. Now, since they were both involved in mechanical ancestors to computers...

"Do not go where the path may lead..." Err, hasn't she been doing precisely that from day one?!

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Just lovely...

Lovely as ever. Why is there always one with their nose bent backwards. Instead of themselves, they are always worrying about someone else... There are some people you can never make happy. Enjoy the one's that love you, and toss the others in the cove! Mary

ps. you are always welcome in my town.

Her Message

jengrl's picture

The old woman referred to the dog in the nighttime. She was referring to Nigel I think. I think the son of Babbage refers to Roger. I believe he involved the company in some pretty shady deals (hence the reference to not following the same path)The warning refers to making sure that she follows a new path with the business, documenting everything the companies do so that when the excrement hits the fan, she will have documentation to prove that she has nothing to do with any of the illegal activities.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Actually, the "curious incident ..."

"... of the dog in the nighttime..." could also refer to the Sherlock Holmes adventure "Silver Blaze." A racehorse is kidnapped from his stall in the middle of the night, and yet no one but Holmes notices that the watchdog did not bark.

"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

"The dog did nothing in the night-time."

"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

What's it means? I'm not sure. But I'm happy to wait and find out. *grin*

Randalynn

I think I get it

The incident is curious, because the dog, if it is a watch-dog, is supposed to help prevent crimes, by either driving the person away from the guarded place, or by alerting the people with barking. If the dog did nothing, then the dog was either very sick - which kinda is noticeable and betrays the purpose - was knocked out beforehand, or did not recognize the tresspasser as such, suggesting it could have been an inside job.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

That's it exactly ...

... in the Holmes story. But what it means HERE only Sue knows. I'm happy to wait until she reveals all! *grin*

Randa

I proudly admit

that I did google Silver Blaze right AFTER I posted that comment. But I gotta give credit where it's due - I may be imaginative, but I'm not very good in such details that hinge on obscure reference - I read most in Russian, so...

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

There's the answer!

If you Rush things then you miss the detail.

Pardon the Hun, oops! Pun?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

This is still

My favorite story! Sue, you can think up more twists than a licorice factory! I hope you go on with Samantha forever.

Diane

Be funny if Sam's oracle

laika's picture

...was just a crazy old lady talking crazy-talk, like the one who throws cats on The Simpsons.
Better keep her away from the moggies!

But no, Sue doesn't put weird random disconnected garbage in her stories, things tend to happen for a reason. And speaking of which, I know Samantha's excited about the gallery and busy with that, but her putting off looking at Nigel's papers has me concerned for some reason...
~~~hugs, Laika

Pemmarris

Should be pleasantly surprised with Samantha's generousity, And she needs to keep abreast of who knows her secret. Is there a stranger there, or local who is in the pay of the nigel mafia?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I've had a suspect

... pinned down since chapter 48. I had suspicion before then, but was sure at that point.

Dean Clump. The computer kid. Son of Babbage.

Doc's office (where the first note's paper originated) had virus. So'd Lady F's.

Scenario: Clump gets called in to get rid of virus on Docs' system. Whether he originated virus or not is irrelevant. He sees our heroine's info. Is a bigot. Grabs paper right there to write the note -- thus explaining antiseptic smell. Finds out when up to fix Lady F's computers that Samantha is a frequent(-ish) visitor and quietly slips another note into Lady F's pile. Bunch of stuff happens... the car (be it a Saab or BMW) is the first opportunity since the collapse at Lady F's.

You have to watch these computer kids!

Now days they don't know the difference between a high or a low, Byte or a Bit, a Nor or a Nand.

Octal or Hexidecimal, what a left or a right shift does to a binary number?

Ying from Yan, Girl from Boy, Transexual from Transgendered, love from hate?

Actually this could make a great poem.

I'm not really knocking computer wiz kids because I believe that the statistics show that they have I believe the highest rate of transgender issues than any other profession.

I would have a bet edeyn and say you have nailed the culprit!
It could be that he is excited about being feminine and has a problem admiting it as Samantha has, and is now showing his hostility to her for his feelings?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Bits, bytes...

Couldn't resist thinking of this when reading Rita's post: http://www.seuss.org/seuss/seuss.byte.html

© Gene Ziegler, 1995 - A Grandchild's guide to using Granddad's computer

Bits Bytes Chips Clocks
Bits in bytes on chips in box.
Bytes with bits and chips with clocks.
Chips in box on ether-docks.

Chips with bits come. Chips with bytes come.
Chips with bits and bytes and clocks come.

(And so on for several more verses)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Make something positive

... take not two bytes and see me in de Morgan :)

Kim

seuss and bytes

Thankyou!

Very clever

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Ain’t it a pity…

…that Edeyn had to be so clever and spoil the mystery and the pleasure for those of us who are not bright enough to work it out yet. This is Sue's story and I think it should be up to her to reveal the culprit when the time comes.

At least Edeyn could, out of courtesy, have warned of a possible SPOILER so that we dumkopfs could skip the comment if we wished. It's as bad as reading the last page of a detective story first so you know whodunit. How would she like it if somebody were to post a comment spoiling one of her stories.

I love this story Sue, and all I can suggest is that if Edeyn guessed right you should decide on a different culprit that will surprise us all when YOU decide to reveal all to us, your adoring readers.

Hugs,

Norma

...? I don't think so.

If she got it right, then good for her! Yay Edeyn!

However, speculation is one of the reasons people enjoy commenting on stories so much. It isn't a spoiler since she doesn't have any inside knowledge of what's going on, and for an author to change their plans just because a reader guessed something correctly from clues that were placed in the story for that very reason, well, that's rather petty, don't you think?

It's just speculation, and we're free to agree or disagree depending on our own ideas. I hadn't even remembered a computer person being mentioned, so her idea was a complete surprise to me, and one I never would have considered.

Regardless of who ends up being the actual culprit, there are going to be people who had guessed it or had their suspicions, and Edeyn isn't the only person who has posted such observances in the comments on other chapters of the story.

Mysteries are MEANT to be solved... otherwise, what's the fun in reading them?

Melanie E.

Spoilers

The policy of BC is to have no Spoilers in the comment titles. Even so, this refers to giving away information that occurred within that story -- not to speculation of what is yet to come. It's speculation, not a spoiler. A spoiler is KNOWING the ending and giving it away. If I turn out to be correct and no one else saw the answer ahead of time, it just means that Sue was clever in her foreshadowing and hints and I happened to be the one whose mindset picked up on them. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm more clever than anyone else reading, just that it happened to click off on my thoughts.

I hadn't seen this comment grousing at me until today (Boxing Day, 2009), when I commented on Chapter 61 and referred back to my comment here.

Spoiling is not "guessing the outcome" it's having knowledge of the outcome and then telling everyone what happens. The ending of Harry Potter book 6 is an example of a highly Spoiled plot.

Do not threaten me about spoiling my stories -- even I don't know what's going to happen until it's written.

Intuition

terrynaut's picture

I knew it! My intuition told me it wasn't Nigel who was sending Samantha the nasty notes. Now we've got another fine mess for poor Samantha. As if she hasn't been through enough.

I thought Nigel had some shady business dealings that could come back to haunt Sam too. There's plenty of life left in this story.

Thanks very much. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Nigel may or may not be a dead issue...

The whole timing of the notes made it appear to be Nigel but upon further review, they point to something local to Penmaris. The notes and now the vandalism also point to a maturity issue, or lack thereof, which could well be the computer geek.

Now as puns go, I couldn't resist about Nigel. I am certain that there will be more from that side of the story as Nigel was certain to have "business associates" who will be wanting to protect their "assets".

"Family" Matter

But anything involving Nigel's business associates could just be a "Family" matter.

Michelle B

There is still a bit of suspense at the Cove

And quite the mystery about who the culprit might be. I'd agree that spray painting the BMW is more of a big city thing, but who knows? Whoever it is had better not have bought the can locally. That might be remembered. Only time--and a new chapter or chapters--will tell.

SuZie

SuZie

Well! Wiggle my Woggle!

joannebarbarella's picture

Be Prepared! Be Very Prepared!

My deerstalker hat tells me that the Son of Babbage must be a computer man and the dog did nothing because it knew the intruder. The trail must be in Nigel's records.

If I smoked I could now pack a wad into my Meerschaum and light up and also have a hit of coke (the liquid kind of course, not the snuff type).

Actually, I'll have to go back and check out the earlier predictions and see if they came true. These are knotty problems, shiver me bowline!

Joanne

Well then

... let's hope Samantha gets with the 'program' :) and catch this dastardly nerd :).

Kim

Computer guy, How?

How did you figure out that he is a computer guy?

Gwen

Look up Babbage

... say on Wikipedia. Babbage was the inventor of the first calculation engine ( a mechanical one ), a form of a computer.

Kim

What is her type?

NoraAdrienne's picture

Someone doesn't want a multi millionaire who donates a whole building to the local scouts? Someone who will give local artists a chance to earn a few bob? This is getting more and more nuts.

Who Your Friends Are

I think Samantha should be more angry than ashamed. I also think she shouldn't try to hide the vandalism from the townsfolk. Drive the car down into the center of town, and there'll be a bit of a firestorm. This doesn't seem like the type of town that would let an incident like this go unsolved or unpunished. Given the grapevine and the combined force of several hundred professional-grade snoopy gossips, I'd bet the town would collectively solve the mystery and apprehend the vandal in, oh... fourteen minutes?

Of course, I think our commenters, above, already have, but I'd like to see Penmarris make it official!

As a side bet, I'd also wager that her tormentor is, in fact, wrestling with his own transgender issues, and this is his way of trying to deny it. (Samantha undoubtedly, out of the goodness in her heart, ends up paying for the psychotherapy and support, too!)

WOGGLE upside down?

I thought a Woggle has no begining or no end? no up or down?

Nice chapter Sue!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Not all sleeping dogs lie?

The old hippie Chick is back. I could say there but for God's weird sense of humor go I. I never really out grew my hippie daze. I still tell a mean fortune or miss-fortune as the case maybe. These cryptic utterances are beyond me. I prefer the tangible. Give me a deck of good old tarot cards any day.

You never know what a stack of papers hide. Remember 'Sherlock Holmes and the Purloined Letter'.

Sue always make this story interesting. Would she throw in a few miss-cues?

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

You are far too intellectual for me

After reading all these posts, I have come to the conclusion that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. I think I'll ask Mommy for a bottle and go to bed, if I had one.

Nite nite

Gwen

What is there to say

RAMI

I was without a computer since Friday, so I am coming late to this comment party. There are too many guess and thoughts about what is happening so I won't even try. Another great chapter.

RAMI

RAMI