Tammy Interludes: Guard of the Thistle - Part 1

Printer-friendly version
Guard of the Thistle  

Book 11: Tammy Interludes
 

 

"Guard of the Thistle"
Part 1

 

This chapter takes place after the end of Snowfall's story Chrysalis Project Book 10: Iron Dolphin Books 3 & 4

For all of Tammy's adventures ---> click here

Note: This is a story, the places mentioned are used in a fictional sense and the people are fictional. It's a story!

Monday 25th September 2017

After flying back into the UK on the Saturday evening she managed to catch a shuttle to Glasgow before finally calling it a day and booking into a hotel. Fortunately someone had loaded the key information from her two weeks with Lyssa's crew onto Tammy's iPad, along with some embarrassing videos.

Any plea to collect her by helicopter from Glasgow went unanswered so she had to catch the train, finally reaching home in a taxi tired and hungry. Even so she had time to distribute her holiday gifts to those at home.

The following day, Tammy was back in the office, catching up with the work that Joey couldn't handle - a commercial property had become available and she now wondered if it had possibilities? Otherwise it was business as usual and the glam had gone; the girl was even wondering if her tan was already fading or her fortnight on the island had been just a dream?

She'd sent Joey out to meet the agent for that property, with instructions to take loads of photos. It took an hour but Tammy had caught up, Joey had kept the property agency ticking over and was really quite efficient now. Tammy had settled down with a coffee and was half browsing the local newspaper website when her mobile rang.

"Tell me Miss Smart, why did feel you had to go and play beach volleyball with the Yanks? I'm sure we could have done something here in Scotland?"

"It was good for toning my muscles and a tan, not to mention the wardrobe and styling tips from a top expert, Colonel."

"I'm told you were generous to your hosts, but you don't buy me bottles of Scotch?"

"Hey, I seem to recall I sent half a case of Wolfburn before I left for the States, you might want to make sure the boys haven't helped themselves? It's not as if you'd have trouble finding a good malt?"

"I'm planning to be in a bar near you, come and see me, and bring a bottle."

"I can't spare the time."

"It wasn't a request. I'll be at Fort George for the weekend, you're invited to dinner on Friday. Six PM sharp, young lady. Bring some fatigues as well, it's a working weekend."

"Yes, Sir."

Joey had returned as Tammy concluded the call. "Trouble?"

"Someone has just wiped out my weekend."

"You could have said no?"

"Yeah, I suppose any normal person would have done, but would you turn down a full regimental dinner at the Black Watch fort, with a Colonel as your escort?"

"To be honest; yes. I'm not a great fan of the British Army."

"Ah, sorry, when do you get to give your evidence?"

"First week of October, in Colchester."

"That's a fair trek from here?"

"It is, and I'm not looking forward to putting my father away, regardless of the history. Coffee?"

Joey made them both a drink but soon was back out of the door on an inspection tour of the places that had been neglected over the past fortnight. Tammy hadn't minded if that slipped back, at least the phone and emails had been answered and the place hadn't ground to a halt.

Tammy went back to her phone, she had been wondering about buying a bicycle when Colonel Sean MacTaggart had called, and that conversation had prompted her to do something about keeping fit, it didn't seem right to undo the previous two weeks with the mean instructors, Krystal and Lyssa.

The local undulating geography was great for riding, but the local beaches weren't ideal for running or swimming. Her pool at home would have to be a poor substitute for the Caribbean seaside but she could easily get on two wheels and ride a few miles each day, time permitting.

The big online bike stores weren't as helpful as she wanted so she turned to a list of stockists and concentrated on calling those in Northern Scotland. The first store she called asked what her needs were but almost immediately told her to "save her pretty legs" and buy an electric bike. The second store had no ladies bikes in stock - "Our entire stock was bought by students ready for the new college year. We're waiting on deliveries but we already have back-orders, sorry. Our sister store in Perth still has stock, I suggest you call them?"

Tammy ended up talking to someone who knew the bikes and knew the roads around Thurso.

"I know you said you wanted a bike for fitness but are you really after a bike to get around?"

"I have a car for getting around, thank you. I just came back from a fitness course and was doing a mini triathlon every day, ending up with ten miles on the bike. I hadn't ridden a bike in years before that!"

"So you need something that can cope with alot of road use, what about off-road?"

"No, I don't need a mountain bike, I'd rather it was light enough that I could drop it on my car, or light enough to lift it onto a rack?"

"We stock bike racks, what car do you have?"

"Mini Cooper, 2015 model."

"Nice, it isn't in Racing Green is it?"

"Err, yes?"

"Look, I'm not planning to nick it! My aunt lives in Wick and I have seen the same Mini Cooper several times near Tesco."

"Yeah, I think I have the only one in that colour? So what do you recommend?"

"Firstly, what's your height and weight?"

"Five foot eight and a half, sixty eight kilos. Why?"

"So the 20" frame is the right size for you, I'm guessing that you can't get to Perth?"

"I'm working all week."

"I thought so, errrm, my recommendation is a Specialized Dolce. It's not one of the carbon fibre very light bikes but at ten kilos it's pretty easy to lift onto a rear bike rack. It's very popular with the students who need their legs in good shape, fitness wise."

Tammy searched for the Specialized Dolce as he spoke, it had been out for a few years but had been updated a few times. The reviews were good, it looked like a good recommendation.

"Which version do you have in stock?"

"The 2017, we have one of the 2015s in our second hand department but I guess you were after new as you didn't ask about used bikes?"

"Correct. What colours do you have?"

"In stock we have the white and black, but I can get a red one in a few days."

"How about a white one? I guess it'll be a little more visible than a black one?"

"True, but I'd still recommend hi viz gear, some drivers seem to have trouble with their eyes. You might consider a helmet cam too, to go on your helmet of course. Err, what's your head size?"

"Don't I get a choice?"

"It's highly recommended. Look, if you order the bike now, why don't you check our website for the accessories and I'll give you free overnight delivery? We have a no quibble return policy and I'm available on this number if you have any queries."

Tammy knew that an online order using an auction site might be cheaper but delivery promises to the Highlands usually didn't mean much. Quality also varied, as did after sales support.

"Fine, I'll take the white Dolce that you recommended. I'll have a look at your site if you can promise to get this out today?"

"If the accessories are in stock then you can have those tomorrow, guaranteed."

"That sounds good."

"Okay, were you interested in our credit scheme?"

"No, I'll pay it in one go."

Tammy had found the shop's website and was looking at the stock as the guy spoke. "Fine, can I have some details then?"

She took a couple more minutes to conclude the order, and ended up £695 lighter in her account. Fortunately, someone seemed to have compensated her for her two weeks on Ramrock Island as an unheralded deposit of £3200 had arrived under the banner of 'Travel Expenses'.

She looked at the clock and it was nearing midday so she went back into CycleManiac's website and started adding items, starting with a rack for her car. Before long she'd spent another £300. As a precaution she had arranged delivery to the office. She hadn't ordered a helmet and was doubting their worth.

It was an hour later, when Joey returned from her site visits, that Tammy remembered one more item.

"A lock!"

"What?"

"I need a bike lock."

"I didn't think you had a bike?"

"I just bought one. I wasn't planning to leave the bike anywhere but I guess a lock is essential? I just don't know what to get?"

"I spent some time on Youtube and there's this guy called the Lock Picking Lawyer who product tests loads of locks. I think someone maintains a list of the locks that he grudgingly approves of."

"That name sounds American?"

"It is, but it seems a load of locks come from the Far East so we'll get the same brands here."

"Thanks, how do you know this?"

"When mum and I went on holiday it rained every day so I trawled Youtube for interesting channels and loads of people recommended him. Thing is, his average video length is under five minutes!"

"I doubt you could make a video about a lock very interesting?"

"He defeats them, often in seconds, one or two could be opened with a nail file or a hair grip. There's even a few he opened with a small magnet."

"Oh, I had visions of someone walking around with a set of bolt croppers in their trousers?"

"Have you been looking? Just in case?"

Tammy blushed. "No, of course not."

She went back to the web but had an idea. She grabbed her jacket and her bag before heading out of the door. "I'll be back in half an hour."

Her destination was the local bike shop, only five minutes away, somehow she hadn't found it with her earlier online searches as it didn't have a website. She wandered in then kicked herself as she realised they did stock some of the better brands, including Specialized.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm after a bike lock. I'm also wondering about a helmet?"

"If you don't have one, you're taking a risk. It could save your life as there are some dangerous drivers around here."

"I may be one of those drivers?"

"My guess is you've not ridden for a few years? I haven't seen you in here before, but have you just bought a bike?"

"Yes."

"Not from me, then?"

"Er, no, from CycleManiacs in Perth. They're delivering it tomorrow."

"Well, never mind, but we could probably have supplied you today. What did you order?"

"A Specialized Dolce, in white. Twenty inch frame."

"Ah, we would have to have ordered one in, but you'd have all your support from us."

"I'll bear that in mind. Can I have a look at the helmets first?"

"Sure, this way. I'll grab a tape measure unless you know your size?"

Tammy was £200 lighter when she left, having added a set of lights and a spare inner tube. There was a bike toolkit on the online order, as well as the bike computer, camera system and a variety of extras, fearing duplication she had to check her email before buying items that were due to be delivered the following day.

Back in the office it was nearing three so Tammy sent Joey off and took a look at the photos that had been gathered that morning. The property was located only two streets away from the office and was a ground floor office with rear secure parking, plus an apartment that occupied the two upper floors. The place was empty and had been recently modernised, but the owner had died before anything more had been done, his family were looking to liquidate assets as soon as possible so the price was good. The agent handling it didn't normally do commercial properties so had offered it to Smart Properties at a very reasonable price.

The photos simply confirmed the description she'd seen, it wasn't anything special but with a little TLC it could be a pleasant home. The shopfront onto Princes St could be let out, or she could simply use it as window advertising for their portfolio of properties, making it apparent that the premises was in use but visitors weren't welcomed. The rear access to the accommodation had a secure compound that would easily take a small car, and possibly a bike. Tammy phoned the agent and agreed terms.

She drove home before four so she could get in the pool, it seemed wrong to let her training slip.

Wednesday 27th September 2017

Tammy had missed out her swim on Tuesday night as the bike hadn't been delivered until just gone five. Naturally she'd decided to unpack it and build the bike, although she didn't have any spanners in the office and the bike toolkit was apparently delayed. By the time she was ready to give up, the secure room's desk was covered with the bike parts and the rest of the purchases.

She arrived back the following morning with a set of tools and finished the assembly. In some respects she regretted not having a bike when she was a teenager, but her school didn't encourage them and she spent so little time at home there didn't seem to be a need.

"At least you got the saddle on the right way around!"

"Thanks Joey, even with my skills I worked that one out."

"Did you want some of this taken to the recycling point?" Joey unnecessarily pointed at the cardboard that was in the corner.

"Thanks, I'll get the kettle on."

She'd received confirmation from her solicitors that the new property being dealt with and she could have the keys the following week, even if the legal process hadn't concluded. She called a tame electrician and booked a survey for the following Friday, getting a decorator might be a little more difficult.

Once Joey was back Tammy decided to take the bike out for a spin, but first changed into some suitable clothes. Joey had a little snigger but then laughed out loud as Tammy manoeuvred the bike down the stairway. "You hit the wall again! I'll find you a paintbrush!"

Out on the streets Tammy felt very vulnerable, this was quite different from a ride around a near deserted airfield on an isolated island. She rode down towards the Mill Theatre and then back across the Thurso River, following the signs to the station but going past it and up the hill, causing her to shift down a gear, almost making a total mess of it.

She knocked the lever down once more before she reached the road that ran along the ridge at the back of the town. This took her past a car repair workshop and several other industrial units. She continued past the golf course entrance and slowly looped back into town.

She pulled the bike into Princes Court and took a look at the area, especially the gated rear end of the property she'd just bought. The fencing needed some maintenance and there were signs that someone had climbed around the read entrance as she could see scuff marks on some of the brickwork. Fortunately the windows and the rear door looked secure. It would be tight to get her car in there, but not impossible, although it would involve either reversing in or reversing out. There were only 3 right angled corners to negotiate, and nowhere to turn the vehicle around!

She cycled to the bike store and chained her ride up outside.

"Hello again."

"Hi, I'm going to be storing the bike outside, can you recommend a suitable all weather cover?"

"Yes, but in most cases the rain will always find a way under a cover, regardless how good it is. An outbuilding would be better, Lassie."

"Space will be a problem."

"I see, is the location exposed?"

"No, very sheltered, off Princes St."

"Then you might consider a bike bag, the whole bike goes into it then you zip it up and lock it. They are not completely waterproof, but there's no seam or zip along the top, only down one end. Several of the models have anchor points for you to tie it down."

"That sounds interesting, do you have any in stock?"

Tammy left there with another receipt but the three day delivery didn't matter. A few minutes later she was pushing the bike through the street door at the office.

"There were deliveries for you."

"Thanks Joey."

Two boxes, as well as an envelope that was clearly from the military.

Against her better judgement she opened the envelope. "You are cordially invited to the annual dinner of the Guard of the Thistle, to be held on Saturday September 30th at Fort George."

"Great, I knew it was a dinner invite, but now it's the ruddy Guard of the Thistle, whatever that is!"

"Rather you than me, you'd best get going."

"It's too early to go to Inverness."

"No, Tammy, you'll need a new frock. I learnt two things from being an army brat, there's a dress code for everything and I hate dresses!"

The missing items from CycleManiacs had arrived in one box. The other boxes were marked as from Elegant Executive in Freeport, Bahamas. Tammy opened one and found binders and DVDs of the programs from the seminar. One stood out from the others, it contained a diet and exercise regime that had been set specifically for her, this went into her bag. The other box she knew would contained her parachute and windsuit, that could be left unopened and she left it in the room for later.

"What is that?" Joey asked, pointing at a pack on the desk.

Tammy held up a binder labelled 'Best impressions'. "It's educational materials, feel free to have a look."

Joey took the binder and began skimming through then looked up. "This is about clothes? Why?"

"First step to being professional; is to look professional. That is a guide, it gives you advice on styling and presentation, it might be enough to get you an upgrade on your next flight?"

"Oh." Joey sounded disappointed then held it over, pointing to a picture. "Who's she?"

Tammy almost laughed, but kept to a smile. "Lyssa. She is a world famous model and ballerina. She taught my class for that part, it was hard work but it was fun."

Tammy made a guess as to what she needed and decided she could really do with the help of an expert, but it was too early in the afternoon to make the call. She was also required at the school that evening from seven.

"It's quiet today, did you want to finish early? I'm going out but I'll pop back later."

"Okay, it's nearly twelve, I have a few things to finish then I'll go."

Tammy first went to the oldest jewellers in town and found an old brooch that featured a thistle. Next stop was Sarah's shop.

"Tammy? Goodness, you look wonderful! Where did you get that tan?"

"The Caribbean!"

"Oh, you never said and no-one knew where you were?"

"It was a very last minute conference, I had a day's notice. I'm amazed I caught the sun as we were in an air-conditioned conference hall most days."

"It seems a long way to go?"

"That's where the organization booked it for this year, although they're talking about Reykjavik for next year. I enjoyed it."

"Oh, I want to hear all about, so make some time!"

"Alright! What I came in for, is something for a dinner at the Black Watch on Saturday, and possibly something on Friday too."

"As in the regiment, in Inverness?"

"Yes."

"I guess you're after something formal, trouble is I was cleaned out last weekend - that's unless you're now a size 6 or a 22?"

"Sticking at fourteen, thank you. What happened to your stock?"

"My last order was delayed and arrives on Friday, hopefully, then there were two events last weekend - both at the Golf Club."

"So, that meant two frocks for most of the ladies?"

"Indeed. It sounds like you're after two for yourself?"

"Damn."

"If you get stuck then the van should be here by lunchtime Friday?"

"I don't think I can take the risk, Sarah."

"Sorry I couldn't help?"

Tammy was back in the office after stopping at the bakery for some lunch items. She resisted picking up any cakes, before she'd flown out to Ramrock Island Tammy had been slowly gaining weight and was going to be a size sixteen well before Christmas. The new diet and training had helped her back to a weight and a shape she hadn't seen for over a year, provided she stuck to it.

Her mobile rang at two.

"Tammy, it's Cathy."

"Oh, hi, I was going to call you but you've been in lessons?"

"It's a half day today, I was going to suggest you had dinner with us before you went to the school?"

"If it's not an inconvenience?"

"Not at all. You said you were going to call?"

"It can wait until this evening?"

"We'll see you at five thirty?"

"Err, I need to check time am I due at the school?"

"Florence told me the rehearsal is at seven."

"Thanks, that means I don't need to phone there to ask, it's been a few weeks since the rehearsals were set up."

"Okay, we'll see you at half past five. Please don't be late!"

Tammy had no sooner disconnected, her mobile rang again. It was coming from Dunbankin so she answered it.

"Yes?"

Pru was calling. "Tammy are you coming home before going to the Macpherson's?"

It was no surprise that Pru knew Tammy's movements, even before she knew them herself. "I probably should, to shower and change. Were you needing to see me?" Tammy asked.

"You've had another delivery. A few boxes you sent to yourself from your trip."

"Oh! My luggage! I should have told you to expect it, leave it for me if they are put out of the way, I'll deal with them when I get in. Thank you Pru."

"It's more than the usual luggage? Okay, right now they are just inside the door. If you like I will just open the boxes and set them out."

"Thank you but just put them out of the way, if you would. I need to check it first and then I can take them up, I won't be long."

Tammy disconnected then looked over to Joey.

"I think we can stop for the day Joey. You can take that home with you, just bring it back."

Joey frowned. "There's make-up and perfume advice in here as well, you know I don't really use this stuff very often."

"Go through it, Joey. If nothing else, you'll find some things that can help you from time to time. Let's head out."

Tammy drove straight home, leaving her car out front. As soon as she opened the front door she could see the luggage, she'd forgotten just how much there was, but was there an extra one? She first picked up the vanity case and took that up to her room, the easiest one first! Three more trips were required for the rest, before Tammy started unpacking. She tackled the large case first.

Back on the island, Krystel had shown her the hidden compartment inside that case and Tammy went straight to it. Inside Tammy found the one-piece uniform they called a Battle-suit, boots, gloves and weapons harness. A thin canvas bag, in black, was also in the compartment so she packed the goodies away before placing the bag in the back of her wardrobe - it would have to be relocated soon. Fortunately those items were the only things that needed to be hidden, everything else were safe to be left in plain sight. She had even thought up a plausible explanation for the new luggage and clothes.

Zara knocked. "Would you like something?"

"A water please." Tammy replied then added. "Oh. I'd like you to look over something please."

Tammy handed her the Fitness Guide and paged to the diet section.

"Is this a menu?" Zara asked.

Tammy nodded. "A nutrition plan for me. I have an exercise plan as well. It includes the recipes as well. You might wwant to add them to your book."

"I'll certainly look it over. This is quite interesting. It may take a day or two."

"Of course. Thank you."

Zara nodded to the luggage and clothes. "This is quite the collection."

Tammy giggled. "The luggage set I won in a raffle and the clothes are all promotional items. I had hoped to win the trip to Paris for Fashion week, but the luggage is nice too. The vanity case came stocked already by Charlotte Tilbury."

"So it wasn't an actual holiday?" Zara asked.

Tammy shook her head. "It was a trade conference for business women. Seminars everyday, but they let us out to tour on the weekend. All the clothes are clean. I was able to get them to a cleaners through the hotel, but need to be pressed again."

"Leave them out and I'll take them down." Zara said then went to get Tammy's water.

Tammy quickly showered then dressed for dinner at Cathy's, plus Shakespeare at school.

up
413 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonder ....

... what kind of trouble Tammy will get herself into this time? With her being a magnet for those kinds of things, it won't be dull no matter how much she tries. This the start of another interesting series from two of my favorite authors, and I truly believe that this series will be as interesting as the others in these authors works. Kudos!

When you said she received

When you said she received extra packages I thought maybe someone on the island had anticipated her need and had sent her some formal gowns, they do seem to be clairvoyant at times.
I do have one question though, I've never seen an electrician referred to as being tame what does it mean and what happens if you get a wild one?

ah

Maddy Bell's picture

tame tradesmen, the dream of every property owner! Finding one requires perseverance and being tapped into the jungle telegraph, find one and the last thing you want to do is tell anyone else as they'll all want his/her services! There are of course the feral variety who will fit you in around the other ten jobs they are working on - if you are lucky, but if you get a wild one - its probably best to shoot yourself now!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

nice to see more from the Highlands

Maddy Bell's picture

Why do people think that you have to buy everything on line?

Its nice to see Tammy buying a bike, the Dolce is a nice machine but online? really Tammy!

Hasn't she got any formal wear already? I'm sure she's been to several functions in previous story arcs that required appropriate attire.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Nice to see you back.

It seems that the stories referred to at the beginning are no longer on this site.

Nice episode

Gwen

Links

shiraz's picture

All fixed, Gwen!

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Applause!

I'm so glad to see the series continuing! Looking forward to action under Col. McTaggert and always with the OICA. Thanks again for the effort and talent you both put into these stories I enjoy so much!

Tammy's stories

Robyn B's picture

I look forward so much to catch a new Tammy story, as I did just now.

As with all the chapters of my favourite authors, it is a disappointment to get to the end even if it's 8,000+ words later. They are so good. I don't want the story to stop.

Oh well! I guess I'll have to settle for being patient until the next chapter...

Robyn B
Sydney

Feeding My Hunger

joannebarbarella's picture

This is a snack to keep me going until the main course arrives.

Thank you Shiraz.

Next course

shiraz's picture

Next part will be released on Sunday morning (UK time)

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Back home, now who wants her hide?

Jamie Lee's picture

Now that Tammy is back home, and trying to stick to the physical workout, who will be the first to have a go at her while she's cycling? Many have wanted her hide but now she'd be just another cycling accident.

And if that didn't happen, what is she going to discover that puts her in a bind as to who needs to know? Everyone is good at giving her do not do's, but very little in case of. Sure she got the Reno Protocals but for everyday what ifs?

Should bets be placed how long it will be before the Tammy magnet starts working?

Others have feelings too.

Tammy and Joey

With the joking in the office, they're starting to shape up to be a team - and with Tammy's experience with courts and inquests, could potentially provide some useful advice and hints to Joey for the upcoming trial of her father; while Lyssa's guide may have some clothing combinations she'd be happy with - smart and professional but not screaming GIRL in 20m high neon letters.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!