Life's little ironies

Printer-friendly version

Life’s Little Ironies

My dad always said, you never know where life will take you.

His name was Mathew Adams Sr., and his life had taken him all over the world, first as an officer in the Army, and then as a private contractor.

Despite his own advice, he had the future of his son, Mathew Adams Jr (that was me) all planned out. He expected me to follow in his footsteps all the way along.

But my life hasn’t gone according to his plan, as I got thrown some curves that would end up setting me on a very different path than my father’s.

Things started out just the way he wanted, I’d been an honour student, a star athlete, and I joined the army right out of high school.

Now before you think too harshly of my dad, I was a willing participant in all of this. I am sure he would have been proud of me no matter what, as long as I had done my best, but as it happened it seemed perfect for me to go along with his plans.

It was while serving overseas that the first major curveball hit.

I managed to step on an Improvised Explosive Device, which ended my military career and almost my life

I woke in a hospital to discover there was not much left of me below my hips.

Both my legs were gone to above my knees, and the less said about what was left of my privates the better.

I had really hadn’t fully processed what had happened to me when the next curveball hit.

The brass decided I’d be the perfect test subject for an advanced form of artificial limbs, ones they believed would be as good if not better than my original set.

For example, they showed me a guy with an artificial hand that not only looked like a real one, it actually could open and close, and he could even control each finger individually.

So of course I agreed, and they set about to make me a pair of new legs.

To be honest, I tuned out whenever they tried to explain to me why these parts would be so good, and in any case some of that stuff they didn’t tell me anyway, because it was classified, but as long as I could walk unaided, I was all in.

They told me they would put me under so they could actually connect the new legs to the nerves in my thighs, so one day, they wheeled me into an operating room, had me count backwards from one hundred, and out I went.

I woke up as excited as any kid on Christmas morning, and I was impressed with how realistic they looked on me. The techs hadn’t bothered to create hair, so my new legs were a lot less furry than my original set, but I wasn’t going to complain about a little thing like that.

They sent me to a rehab centre to relearn how to walk, and I got assigned a physiotherapist named Brianna, who I learned had been a drill sergeant in a previous life, and obviously had brought those skills to working me over and pushing me to push myself every bit as hard as I had done at army boot camp.

After a couple of months, I was pleased with my progress, and saw a day when I’d walk out of the rehab centre under my own power, not even needing a cane.

Then the next curveball hit.

I woke one morning to discover my new toes had what appeared to be nail polish on them, turning them bright red.

Brianna giggled at my painted toes, but a tech looked over and freaked out.

Eventually, the guy told me three things.

One, they hadn’t really given me toenails, they had just put a slight indentation on the spot where toenails should be.

Two, what was on my toes wasn’t nail polish, but the actual material had somehow changed colour on its own.

And three, my feet were almost a full size smaller than they had been when they had been installed.

I was forced to say goodbye to Brianna, and return to the base where my legs had been made so they could understand what happened.

Eventually, they told me the limbs were made of a “smart” material, and every molecule could and would adapt to the needs of the owner.

Which led to the question of why I would want painted toes, but I told them I had spent a lot of time around Brianna, and she often went barefoot to jump into the pool with me, and I had admired her pedicure.

They accepted that explanation, and figured the crisis was over.

They were wrong, as the next curveball hit, as we learned why my feet had actually shrunk.

It was to provide the material for some more changes the legs decided I needed.

I have mentioned my male bits were a mess, and they hadn’t done much with them beyond making sure I could go to the bathroom, so you can perhaps imagine my surprise when I woke up one morning to discover I now had a vagina.

They eventually told me that the material the legs were made of had taken the mass from my feet, converted it into nanobots, and sent it into my thighs to spread throughout my body, all of whom were happily feminising me starting with my privates and working their way up.

Which finally got me to admit to the base psychologist that I was actually happy about that prospect.

And also got me to admit I had subconsciously noticed the IED, and had stepped on it, hoping to die since I couldn’t handle being a man anymore.

This led to all kinds of problems, not the least of which was that by regs, I should be discharged for being transgender, but that would be complicated by the fact I had goodness knows how many dollars worth of army equipment attached to me.

Just in case you’re curious, the legs don’t give me superpowers, unless you consider being able to walk unaided a superpower, so there was no talk of me being turned into a super spy or whatever.

Finally, they offered me a job as a consultant at the rehab center, which allowed me to work with Brianna, who helped me navigate the gender transition with the same skill she had helped me learn to walk again.

Doesn’t stop me from teasing her that I now have prettier legs than her, but what are friends for?

End

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cute story!

It was an interesting twist to an old storyline. I'm glad that I read it!

thanks, Voldy!

have a huggle on the house!

DogSig.png

A leg woman?

The prothesis sure gave her a leg up (transformation).

Discharging her would have been very tricky, not only for the six million dollar man aspect. The Army was arguably responsible for her transformation.

Cute!

Good Premise

This would make a good book.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

maybe it would make a good book

don't know if I could write it, my speciality is flash fiction!

huggles, and thanks for the comment!

DogSig.png

Oooops!

joannebarbarella's picture

Move over Tony Stark!

Tony Stark?

Or Steve Austin?

A Drastic Way

joannebarbarella's picture

To transition! Is she now Iron Woman?

well, she is part metal

but no superpowers (that we know of)

huggles!

DogSig.png

I Want to See the Ad

Marissa Lynn's picture

If this goes civilian.

"Symptoms may include overnight vagina formation and gorgeous legs."

A nice little quick, sweet take on the nanobite story.

Well done!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Nice story, Dot! I wonder what the dad thought . . . hopefully he was indeed supportive.

Hugs,

Emma

Flash fiction

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Dot,

I always enjoy your efforts, but this is a cut above your usual flash fiction. It was well crafted and covered all the bases, answering all the questions, both asked and unasked.

Great job.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

well, thank you, Patricia !

some of my stories feel like they should go back into the oven and bake a little longer, but I'm always worried about burning the bread. this one felt "finished" very quickly, and I am glad you felt the same about it.

huggles!

DogSig.png

I don't know, hon

military minds elude me

huggles!

DogSig.png

No longer trans

They can't discharge her for being transgender. She is a biological female presenting as such. If she insisted on still presenting as a man then she would be transgender.

details, details

the brass makes the rules, all she can do is obey them!

huggles!

DogSig.png

Rehab ... Yeah ...

Some years back, I was doing rehab in an 'assisted living' center following open heart surgery (1).

One day, I told a nurse
"You have been pushing me all day to do stuff. Thank you!"
---
(1) Seems the surgeons had to sew a cow's mitral valve into a vegan's heart!

I figure the heart problems would have killed me in about three months, with most of that time bed-ridden.

Good news is:

a) I'm alive, 7 years later,

b) they somehow 'washed out' all the cow proteins, so there was never a problem of my body trying to 'kill' the valve. (Rejection.)

Only down side, is once a month, when that big yellow ball lights up the night sky ... "Moo-oooh-uh! Mooo-oo-oo-uh".

And ya don' wanna know what happened during that recent Total Solar Eclipse ...
---
The other downside, was the menu at the rehab center kept tying to >kill< me. I figured one half of the people eating the standard men options would >die,< simply from eating it.

The day I got healthy enough to order a vegan pizza for delivery - Oh My Gaia!

Menu was pretty much in line with what typical 'USA-ians' eat. And one-half-plus of our citizens >die< from eating it. Greger: "How Not To Die."

rehab personnel

have to be kind of mean and push you or you wont recover as well

huggles, glad the valve has worked out!

DogSig.png

Flash fiction indeed

That was the best example I have read, on how a short story is written.
You gave every detail that is essential to a story, plus a good dose of Humour.
With just a hint of Sci Fi. Plus it had TG. I loved it.
(Play it again Sam!)

Polly J

thanks, Polly !

glad you enjoyed it, have a huggle!

DogSig.png

Very Nice

terrynaut's picture

Hey there!

I really like the story. It's a great idea, having super tech go AI on the recipient, who just happens to be trans. Nice.

The ending did seem abrupt, but the short length gave the idea more impact, for me at least. I think it's fine as is.

Still, I, personally, can see this expanded. You could add more changes, like to the face, and you might explore what would happen long-term. Does she actually start menstruating? Does she develop breasts? And why stop there?

Who says the changes have to stop. Perhaps she comes close to getting hit by a vehicle and develops the capability to jump super high. It doesn't have to be at a super hero level, but it might be interesting.

I saw a crazy story that took this idea to an extreme. A scientist had intelligent nanobots injected into himself, and as he experimented on himself, the nanobots adapted his body to defend against the threats. He ended up with a literal eye in the back of his head, and crazy stinging cells on his skin, and more. It just kept escalating until he finally went too far. His nanobots couldn't keep up and he died. The story was a bit much for me, actually. But I just put it out there to maybe inspire you.

I read a lot and get some good ideas from other stories. I mix and match ideas to make them uniquely my own. You've probably heard that all stories have long since been told. All we can do is dress up old stories with a new spin.

Okay. Enough blathering for me.

Thanks and kudos (number 83).

- Terry

I hadn't intended for her to be a superhero

just being a regular woman who could walk without aid was "super" enough for her.

thanks for the comment, hon. huggles!

DogSig.png

Oh noes!!!

Brianna gave Dot girl (nanite) cooties!

sure, lets blame Brianna!

but it was probably that sneaky Jaci, she probably infected the legs!

DogSig.png

How do I get my hands on

KateElizabethSuhr13's picture

How do I get my hands on those legs? I'll happily chop off my lower legs for those. Lol