Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1165.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1165
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next day, Stella was going out with Gareth, he apparently had the day off, so I was busy tending two babies. Jenny had the day off too, so I seemed to spend much of the day dealing with dirty nappies or shoving food in the other end.

Stella waited until I got back from the school run before dumping Puddin’ in my lap, and of course my niece was teething and as grumpy as I’ve ever seen her. If I didn’t know better, I could have thought Stella was abandoning her to my tender mercies–and those were fraying by the time I had to get two babies ready to collect my motley crew from school.

I was hoping Julie would be home on time from college–then she left a message on my voice mail to say she was going to see a friend for tea and would be home later. My heart sank when I got that message. My mission now was to stay sane while looking after two babies, one five, two six and a ten year old plus Danny who’s twelve.

He was actually the saviour of the late afternoon, he and Billie took Puddin’ out in her pram–or should I say he offered, as he could see I was up to my eyeballs in babies, and the others decided to go with him. They were out for about an hour, it was beginning to get dark when they came home, and I’d managed to feed and change my wee yin, express some milk for a later feed and drink a cuppa.

When they trooped back in, I asked him what he fancied for dinner, hoping he’d see it as a treat.

“Dunno, what we got?” he replied in typical helpful soul style.

“What would you like?”

“I dunno, do I?”

“What did you have for lunch?” I asked him, he buys his own lunch from the school cafeteria.

“Macaroni cheese an’ chips.”

Not exactly an enthralling combination nor the healthiest option I could imagine. I checked the fridge, then the freezer. “I have some faggots here, what about those?”

“Yeah, they’ll be okay–can we have chips with them–oh an’ mushy peas?” This proved to be a popular choice so I loaded the meat balls in gravy into the oven and while they were cooking, sent Danny down the road to get a whole pile of chips from our local chippy.

Simon came home and sniffed the aroma in the kitchen, “Mmm, smells good, what is it?”

“I’m doing faggots, peas and chips for the kids, why?”

“God, I haven’t had those for ages–sounds good to me.”

Of course, I didn’t have enough for him, I was going to do Tom and him a curry, which was one I had in the freezer and was defrosting. I asked if anyone else wanted curry instead and Simon said he’d have some of that as well. No wonder he’s putting on weight.

In the end, I managed to quickly do myself some scrambled eggs on toast while the others ate all the faggots, the chips and the curry and rice. When they asked what was for sweet, I dumped the fruit bowl on the table and huffed off to make some tea.

“Why did you have eggs?” Simon eventually asked me.

“Because you lot ate everything else.”

“You should have said, I’d have made do with the curry.” He knew I didn’t eat it.

“You said you wanted the faggots.”

“You didn’t say I was eating your share.”

“True–never mind, my eggs were okay.” I made the tea and poured a few cups for myself, Simon and the older children.

Puddin’ woke and screamed the place down, and she didn’t want to eat or drink, just scream. I decided she had colic, and managed to persuade her to take some medicine. Of course the noise set off tiny wee, and Simon tutted when I asked him to sort her out. I told him there was a bottle in the fridge, but he’d have to warm it first. There were more tuts.

“Where’s Julie, shouldn’t she be helping you with this,” he pointed at the squealing baby.

“Why can’t you? You’re her foster father.”

“In theory,” he muttered barely audibly. “Meems,” he shouted, “Give me a hand here.” She came rushing out and practically took over–she’s five years old and knows more about babies than Simon ever will. She’ll also do almost anything for her daddy.

While I nursed Puddin’ until she calmed down, I watched Mima set up the bottle warmer and shove the bottle in it, then she lifted the baby out of her carrycot and handed her to Simon, then she laid up the changing mat and all the bits needed to clean up a baby’s bum; Simon stood holding the baby and looking very uncomfortable. He knows what to do–I’ve shown him loads of times. The difference is, Mima enjoys doing it and he doesn’t. He did once throw up while I was changing a rather smelly nappy, so possibly the memory stays with him.

Neither Trish nor Billie came to see if they could help, they were playing chess, and Danny and Livvie were watching, waiting to play the winner–we all know who that’d be.

Eventually Puddin’ went off to sleep again and I put her down–I felt quite tired. I went to see how Meems and Si were doing. Meems was sat on Si’s lap with the baby reclining on hers, with Simon helping to hold everyone together. They seemed to have things under control so I left them to it.

I looked in on the chess competition and our own Trish Spasky was slaughtering Danny, who should have known better than try his luck. I slipped out again and went to sit in the lounge, picked up the Guardian and was asleep two minutes later. I awoke when a general panic arose because they couldn’t find me. I suppose I’ve brought it upon myself that nothing happens unless I initiate it, or clean up afterwards.

When I went back into the dining room, Trish was playing Tom and he was hard pressed to hold her off. I let them finish before I announced the curfew–Tom won, but only just. Simon was sniggering.

“Why don’t you play her instead of laughing at Daddy?” I asked.

“I did, the little bugger beat me.”

I couldn’t resist a smile which turned into a chuckle.

“If it’s so funny, why don’t you play her?”

“I’m no chess player.”

“C’mon, Mummy, play me,” challenged Trish.

“No it’s too late.”

“C’mon, Mummy, play her,” chorused the others. I should have declined but I caved in to stop the noise waking the babies.

For my sins, I drew white and started. I only have one gambit, fool’s mate we used to call it, where you attack with your knight and smash down with your queen. I felt awful when it seemed Trish hadn’t seen it before because I’d beaten her in five minutes.

“C’mon, Mummy, play me again–puuulllleeeaaasse,” she begged.

“No, I agreed to play once–off to bed with you lot–NOW.”

“Rotten rabbit,” she muttered as she stumped up the stairs.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun Chapter

littlerocksilver's picture

Enjoyable read. Would you please translate the culinary delights into America. I know some, but not all.

Portia

Portia

Oy!

Stop crossing my posts! When I first went to the Midlands for college, I actually had no idea what a faggot was. The fact that the leading brand was called "Brains" didn't help.

Faggots

littlerocksilver's picture

The homemade variety of faggot sound delicious. In spite of disparaging remarks made about British cuisine, I find the food very enjoyable. That may be genetic. My grandfather was born in St. Ives, Cornawall (There is another St. Ives). I had a pasty, but it was not very enjoyable. The brown glue description I read somewhere today best describes it. I know they could be a lot better.

Portia

Portia

Um, I ... OMG!

I thought faggots were small logs, cut turf/peat, coal or whatever. IE some kind of fuel chunk you throw on a fire. Or cigarettes.

PS nice chapter, Ang.. Could feel Cathy's frustration and fatigue.

LOVED her showing her everso brilliant daughter that she, Cathy, still had got IT. Beating her at chess was brill.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Food

Chips are related to French fries, but are made from potatoes, hand cut. Mushy peas are a sort of mashed and glutinous green pea lumpy paste thing. Faggots are meat balls with a lot of liver and other offal, based around pork, in a rich gravy.

Mushy Peas

Mushy peas are made from hard, fully-mature, starchy, dried peas. They're soaked, soaked some more and then boiled, and then boiled some more. It's sort of a drier, lumpy version of split-pea soup.

I understand the concept, and there's a great tradition to it. Dried legumes keep fairly well, for up to 2 years, a valuable quality in the days before canning and before refrigeration. They're not so much a preserved version of sweet, green peas as they are a starchy source of protein, like beans.

What I find amusing, is that you can buy them, fully prepared, in a can. Peas, dried, soaked, cooked, and then canned. Usually, with artificial color (and the particular type that makes me ill -- E102, a.k.a. Yellow #5) to make them a little cheerier looking.

So, speaking of cans... Does Cathy buy the normal supermarket sizes of things, or does she get the large ones, like restaurants use?

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Shopping

Even though Cathy has an increasingly large brood, she still shops at regular supermarkets - but probably buys double or triple the amount of food a normal family would consume. Morrisons tends to be her favourite supermarket, even though she's had a few Close Encounters of the Kemp Kind there (i.e. Julie's biological parents).

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Always nice to see something

Always nice to see something played that the young ones have never seen before, but their parents know about. Trish, most likely watched closely when Cathy used her gambit and now knows how it works, so she won't be fooled again. Simon needs a good "whack upside his head", as he is supposed to be a parent just as Cathy is. He should not be turning everything over to a 5 year old, even if she is capable. Jan

Bike pt 1165.

Wonder ow the date went.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The trials

Of a working mom. Hard to believe a 5 year old is as skilled in baby care as Meems but all of Cathy's kids are extraordinary.

Hope Julie is ok and hope Stella's date went well.

Yer Blue Meanie!

Fancy destroyin' a six-year-old's fun. Fool's mate indeed.
You big, cruel, blue meanie!

PS. My wife and I had hells own delight saying we liked faggots way back in Washington state in 1976. Naturally there was a short deafening silence!

This was in 'Small town' Port Angelese and it took about ten minutes before people would believe us when we tried to explain.

Four months and a couple of trips later, when we were in Yokohama discharging, Helen met a 'brit' who worked at the embassy where they were having a trade thing. Somehow she got to talking about the faggots and peas story and he came down to the ship the next day with some frozen supermarket samples (You know. the ones in the foil tray inside a carboard package. We put them in the ship's deep freeze so the next trip to the USA she produced them at the regular barberque we now had going every time we loaded. They went down very well and the stevedores had a good laugh about it.

Loved this chapter

Love and hugs.
Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

When I taught my children ...

... to play chess, I used different forms of the fool's mate to teach them the value of paying attention to what their opponent was doing and thinking ahead. Once someone knows what to look for, you can't use the fool's mate for much more than getting tangled up in a corner of the board for a while. *grin*

Randa

Fish, chips and mushies

Now that's proper nosh. Although here in the NorthWest of England, curry seems to be the most popular fast food, I can't stand it.

"Rotten rabbit." That's one I've not heard before. I presume it's a 'St. Claire-ism'.

S.

'Rotten Rabbit'

Angharad's picture

Comes from Looney Tunes, and is muttered at Bugs Bunny.

Angharad

Angharad

Heavy fudd

Is that to be heard as "wotten wabbit?"

Well!

Cathy's definitely going to burn herself out if she has regular repeats of the scenario in today's Bikesode.

Counting Julie, there are supposed to be five other adults in this family, and they somehow managed to leave Cathy holding the babies—literally.

Thanks A+B+I (faggots etc.), I did smile at the banned advertisement in the Wikipedia article you posted, due to, "I've nothing against faggots, I just don't fancy them." While a lot of British cuisine (is that an oyxmoron?) traditions have followed the migrants to the colonies, faggots and jellied eels are two that we don't have in the antipodes.

Physically Stuffed


Bike Resources

Even we Brits

find our self's confused about some things food wise ....Take something as simple as a Bread Roll...Where i come from they are referred to as Cobs, Move to Yorkshire and it becomes a Breadcake .... Lancashire and it can be referred to as a Barm Cake or in some cases an Oven Bottom ! .....Whatever the name they are still one of the best ways to have a nice little snack....Although as you can imagine go out of your own area and ask for a Cob, And you get some very strange looks indeed....

Kirri

We have a bread shop

Angharad's picture

called the Crusty Cob, so the term is known here in Dorset, as it is in Wales, but a cob is a hard crusted bread roll, whereas a bap is a soft roll.

The thing to avoid is Dorset Nob's it's the only biscuit which can be fired from guns as armour piercing shells - a real tooth breaker.

Angharad

Angharad

Dorset Nobs....

...sound like just the thing for teething youngsters: I suggest you have Cathy get some for Puddin'.

When we were growing up, there were similar hard biscuits called Rusks, which were drooled on and gnawed by youngsters. Oh yes, the resulting dried mixture assumed the consistency of concrete when trying to remove it from hair, skin and a high chair that had been 'decorated' by the child.

Preschool Stories


Bike Resources

Dorset Nobs Definitely not suitable…

…for babies. They are hard round bread balls, about the size of a pong-pong or squash ball, so would present a considerable choking hazard to youngsters. My late mum adored them, even though she was lacking the odd molar here and there. However, they can be sawn in half with a bread, or other serrated knife, spread with a smidgen of butter and topped of with a delicious dollop of Blue Vinney cheese—also known as Dorset Blue. Sadly what's left of my molars are too fragile to risk them on Dorset Nobs these days, but it doesn't stop me enjoying Blue Vinney Cheese (when I can get it) which is just as delicious with Cream Crackers—Jacobs, natch.
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Rusk

erin's picture

A rusk where I was born, or near there, was a hard crust of bread, stale but toasted in an oven then dipped in a bit of drippings and given to children to gnaw on while waiting for dinner. They tasted okay but you had to really gnaw on them to get more than flavor. :) A rusk was bread on its last go round; when the children tired of it, it was tossed out for the chickens to peck at. :)

Drippings is the fat removed from meat during cooking, used to make gravy, spreads and dressings and to season vegetables. Drippings looks like a plural but it's not, it's a collective.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

In Coventry ...

... where I worked in the 60s they're called batches. So a lunchtime snack would be a ham batch. Like you, I always called them ham cobs.

Robi

About the chess game,

The expression about old age and cunning come to mind.

Fool me once also applies.