Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1174.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1174
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Simon and I made up after his tasteless joke and my dangerous one–I hate guns, so it made little sense to me either, but at the time it seemed like a good idea–a bit like riding my bike the day of the thunderstorm. If I’d seen what was coming, I’m not sure I’d have known what to do. Anyway, it’s all spilt milk under the bridge over which I leapt without a look and landed in the fire, which has burned pretty well ever since.

Trish came down and gave me a huge hug and a kiss, so that made me feel better, and when Livvie, Mima and Billie did the same I felt much better. I called Stephanie who was dashing out to have her hair done. I asked her to come and see Julie very soon.

“But I see her every week, already. What’s happened that’s so urgent–she’s been coming on fine?”

“Have you heard about the human guy left on the bonfire?”

“Oh, she wasn’t there to see that, was she?” Stephanie sighed in the background.

“No, she didn’t see it.”

“Thank goodness for that.”

“It was her.”

“What was?”

“She was the guy on the bonfire.”

“Oh my God,” she said slowly. “Where is she now?”

“Still at the QA.”

“I’d have thought it would be Odstock Hospital for burns.”

“It wasn’t burns, I managed to pull her off before then.”

“You pulled her off?”

“Yes, with Simon’s help.”

“Are you alright?”

“As ever I’m going to be.”

“Are you sure–why not see Ann Thomas, you’ve probably undergone as much trauma as anyone else.”

“I’m okay.” I protested.

“Fine, let’s keep it that way, go and see Ann or I’ll have you sectioned under the mental health act.”

“Oh all right, you bloody trick cyclists are a pain.”

“I’ve got to dash, I’ll pop in and see Julie this afternoon.”

“Is that okay?” I felt embarrassed.

“No, I was getting my hair done for a date this afternoon, he’ll just have to wait an hour won’t he?”

“Lucky you,” I sighed unthinkingly.

“See, you do need to see Ann.”

“Okay, I’ll make an appointment.” I put the phone down.

“When can we see Julie?” asked Trish after she’d helped to clear the table.

“I’m not sure, sweetheart. She could be home in a day or two but as we don’t know who attacked her, I’m very reluctant to let any of you go anywhere.”

“If I can work that out, can we go and see her?”

“How can you do that?” I was astonished.

“Elementary, my dear Watts.” She disappeared in a mass of giggles.

I left her to it, she was doing something on her computer–her computer skills were coming on in leaps and bounds, Livvie who’s pretty bright as well, doesn’t always understand what Trish is doing–this kid is like, six years old–and I have no idea.

I found out later she was trying to hack the police computer, via an address in the Ukraine to disguise her identity. When I was six, I’d never heard of Ukraine, let alone trying to pretend I was there.

The firewall was too complex for her but she managed to get into the road surveillance system, including the recordings over the past few days. She called me two hours later–there was a picture of a youth or man riding the pink scooter. The size made it obvious the rider was male, although the helmet was Julie’s.

If he didn’t abduct her, he was certainly involved. She stored the images and printed off some copies. I’d be back to the college on Monday and showing the photo to all and sundry. He was big, so we could eliminate all the smaller men from the rider, although they could also still be involved.

Nothing was clear cut about this case. At mid morning, I had a call from the hospital, the police were waiting to interview Julie and she wanted me present. I wondered if Simon would be better to go, but she insisted on me. I spoke briefly with him, and he agreed to supervise the kids while I went to the hospital.

Leon had arrived and wondered where Julie was, I think it was Danny who told him what had happened and Leon became very angry. Julie wasn’t quite his girlfriend, but as close to him as any girl had ever got and he was quite distressed. Stella had to work hard to calm him down. He was spouting vengeance, but Simon told him to get in the queue.

Actually, I’m not so interested in revenge, I just want Julie and the others to be able to live a normal life, but that means negating the threat we believe her and possibly my other children to be under. How we do it, I’m not too worried provided we don’t end up in bigger trouble for doing it. Motive still wasn’t clear, unless it was a transphobic one. It’s not exactly uncommon, even I’ve experienced a bit of it or did in days gone by. But Julie is so pretty, unless you got her knickers off you’d never know she wasn’t a natural girl, she’s really blossomed from the hormones.

The interview was a waste of time. She couldn’t remember anything. She was upset when she discovered her scooter had been damaged–she didn’t know. She had no recollection of leaving college lunch time, she could only muse that she was probably going to get a kebab for her lunch–but she wasn’t at all sure.

I felt like showing them the picture of the bloke on her scooter, but then I’d have to explain that my younger daughter had hacked into the road system surveillance of the county council.

I gave a statement, out of Julie’s hearing–she wasn’t yet aware she’d been left to die on a bonfire.

“And you didn’t want to go to the firework display?” asked the woman Inspector.

“No, I only went because everyone else wanted to go, and they promised free sparklers to kids who got there first.”

“You seem to have some phenomenal coincidences in your life?”

“Yeah, don’t I just.” I shrugged.

“Someone up there seems to think you can work with Him.”

“Not me, I’m unconvinced and an unbeliever. Prove to me there is someone up there and I’ll reconsider my position.”

“For many, the coincidences would be enough. What were the chances that you’d be at that bonfire party?”

“I don’t really know, but I suspect the person or persons who did it weren’t expecting me to recognise Julie’s jacket.”

“How did you?”

“My friend Siân got it for her in Paris, so there aren’t too many about in Portsmouth.”

“Your husband didn’t notice it then?”

“Only when I pointed it out to him.”

“He is a man, so I suppose he wouldn’t notice what women were wearing unless it was very little or they were taking it off,” the police officer speculated, but it sounded about right. If the guy had been wearing a bikini, Simon would have noticed and Stella would have been able to tell you who made it. But it was very fortunate that the guy was wearing an expensive French leather jacket–why hadn’t other people noticed and why hadn’t I noticed it earlier? I noticed it because it was Julie’s jacket, not because it wasn’t the sort of thing that Guy Fawkes effigies usually wore. Then I’m not a copper, but I’m supposed to be a trained observer–or does that only apply to dormice and assorted furry things?

I went back to see Julie after the police left and Stephanie walked onto the ward. The sister rushed off presumably to find her a room–well she is a consultant psychiatrist, like Ann Thomas–which reminded me…

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The evidence is building

Sorry Cathy, but your unbelief must be taking quite a knock by now.

S.

Her faith...

Her faith, in her unbelief is phenomenal! One might even call her fanatic about it. :-)

Anne

I meant Gullibility of

I meant Gullibility of course, simple typo, no significance !

Briar

Briar

Ah

kristina l s's picture

Stringing us along a bit... fair enough. Thanks Ang, you can go to bed now *grin*.

Kris

Genius Trish...

A six year old engaging in hacking? What do they teach these children nowadays?!

When she grows up, another Simon had better watch out... if sufficiently motivated, she could quite easily be BOFH - The Next Generation...

Remember folks: if you've got on the wrong side of her, never reveal your username! :)

-oOo-

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what reaction the <ahem> photos get when Cathy shows them around the college...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I Wonder If The Police Will Run The CCTV Tape?

jengrl's picture

I wonder if the police will get an idea to run the video tape on network TV stations to generate leads in the case? I would say that it may be something they haven't made a connection to yet. Too bad Trish couldn't make that particular image show up on Police computers. I think she would make a great detective. She has already had the presence of mind to snap camera phone images to catch criminals, so her mind is pretty sharp for one so young.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Perhaps...

Perhaps an anonymous video sent to a local reporter, along with "speculation" that the person that was "playing" Guy owned such a bike... There are more ways than one to help the detectives.

Anne

Do authors smile?

Thanks A+B: I have to wonder whether you smile, grin or even laugh out loud as you compose each Bikesode. I chuckled at the delightful way you mixed the metaphors in the opening paragraph, and really laughed at Trish's "Elementary, my dear Watts" comment.

Of course, I'm sure that even if you don't laugh at your own jokes, you must indulge yourself in a more sadistic form of aural expression as you slowly dole out small pieces of information on the current puzzle, and keep us coming back for more.

Personality Signs


Bike Resources

Unconvinced Unbeliever…

…is surely a double negative, Ang? I think you should have written “Convinced Unbeliever” to stress Cathy's agnosticism/atheism.

Or maybe it was Bonzi what wrote that bit? Pussy syntax ain't what it used to be.

Love

Hilary

I think Cathy is just winding them up!

After all the coincidences and her little chat with the "Godess" ... I just don't think anyone could be that dense. Still, being a little stuborn to peoples faces keeps her from being dragged into all those stupid and inane doctrinal and eschatological questions. I think the counsel of her own heart is sufficent for our creator.

Gwendolyn

didnt paddington die

didnt paddington bear get blown up in the gulf and mondo explosione how did he get back to cathies house for julie to see and point at in chapter 899 as cathy cried about him being gone from the cars blowing up does her blue light bring back teddy bears to ?
giggles i sure hopes so :))

Paddington

I wondered that several months ago when writing the summaries...

But bear in mind that before I came up with the crazy idea of writing the episode summaries, there was no easy way to check on events in previous episodes. Let's face it - can you remember offhand the details of all 1,174 episodes to date? It's a testament to Ang's writing skills that anachronisms are very few and far between. Maybe Cathy had one of her insights and removed Paddington from his customary position as passenger before setting off to the Holiday Inn that day?

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I don't know why they'd attack Julie but

I have a feeling the tree thieves left the scene a bit too easily :-/
and the ones who left her on the fire had a van...

Still a good story, even after over 1100 episodes. It's amazing how fresh it still feels!

Val

I Second That Emotion!

It's STILL a great story, Ang. Thank you for doing this for those of us who can't manage to entertain ourselves, at least, in this particular manner.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Bike pt 1174.

So, the mystery deepens. Now we know what to look for.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The net is slowly

closing in on Julie's abductors, Surely it is only a matter of time before we find out what caused Julie's bad behaviour in the first place, Hopefully that might help Cathy with her investigations....

Kirri

Dependung how long the images last,

they could be there for a gentle nudge from someone like Cathy to get the police to check them out.