Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1160.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1160
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I’d been so involved with life, especially the dormouse survey and then Phoebe’s visit and collapse, that I hadn’t been paying much notice to the news. Then on the Monday morning as I was getting the girls ready for school, Danny was about somewhere, possibly trying to get Julie up for college, and the news on the radio mentioned something about a transsexual winning some Scrabble championship. Naturally my ears pricked up, and I had to shush squabbling schoolgirls whilst I listened to it. Trish also became suddenly alert as well on the longer report given about someone besporting a pink wig and PVC dress had won the national Scrabble contest, and who claimed they were transsexual.

Oh well, I’m sure they got some fun out of it from their choice of clothing and because it’s a one off thing, doesn’t do us much harm–by us I mean transgendered or more specifically transsexuals as a whole.

Perhaps it could be turned against us, as fetishistic clothing, and I couldn’t really argue that one, although lots of girls wear it too, to parties and so on. Can’t be very comfortable, like wearing a bin liner I should think.

On the other hand, just as we’re called names for that, we could argue back that in which case the defamers would have to accept we’re all a bit clever too, because not just any old Scrabble player can win national contests. I can play it, and have beaten Simon and Stella whenever we’ve played it, but I could no more play at that level than I could fly the next space shuttle–given the choice, I’d go for the shuttle every time.

Anyway, the tabloids could have their fun with someone who waved two fingers at them and still won the contest, so I didn’t take too much notice of it.

The rest of the day was spent doing chores and entering data as it came to me from the other survey groups–we had another four babies and mother to take into the university, so we’d feed her up and delay her hibernation by a few days to give her offspring a chance to survive, then they could all hibernate to their heart’s content.
At lunchtime, Stella was home, and we dined on some rice with cold chopped turkey and salad. “Did you see that thing on the internet?” she asked me.

“What’s that?”

“You know that lawyer character who got pushed under a train last week.”

“Lawyer? No, I have no idea what you’re on about.”

“You must, headlines of crossdresser pushed under train by woman, or man in women’s clothes pushed under train.”

“No, I didn’t see or hear it.” I was obviously busier than I thought last week.

“I dunno, Cathy, you’re sometimes on a different planet.”

“Sometimes I wish I was, one where people were a bit kinder to each other and less cruel and greedy than they are here.”

“Watch out Mother Theresa, St Catherine is here.” Stella enjoyed her little jokes.

“I am no saint, as you well know, far from it.”

“Dunno, you tend to act in such a responsible way, so God might like you for a sunbeam.” She laughed as I made a silly face at her.

“Anyway, what about this person who was run over by the train?” I asked.

“He or she was a top immigration lawyer who had done all sorts of good things, challenged the government several times and so on.”

“Well somebody needs to at times, what else?”

“They were seen being pushed under a tube train, by some woman. It was captured on CCTV as well.”

“That’s an unusual thing for a woman to do.” I wondered what the point of all this was going to be.

“Exactly, and it turns out the woman is a transsexual.”

“She doesn’t play Scrabble does she?”

“What? Scrabble? How would I know–but I guess she’ll have plenty of time to find out.”

I felt rather flat after being told all this–it would appear that the tabloids would have a field day with all this going on. I wish no one had mentioned any of it–why does the gender problem have to be highlighted in the headlines as I’m sure it was? I may not even be a factor in the case. I mean, I cut my toenails this morning and my being a woman had no effect whatsoever, well apart from having difficulty seeing beyond my boobs which were dripping milk.

“So I suppose you’re not going to want to be near me, Trish Julie or Billie if there are trains about?”

“Why?”

“Well, we might push you under one?”

“What for?”

“To kill you, why else?”

“Why would you want to kill me?”

“It’s what transsexuals do, apparently.”

“But women don’t, so why would you or any of you wish to do it?”

“None of us would, we’re more likely to jump under one than kill someone else.”

“Yeah, that’s what women do.” Stella declared crossing her arms across her chest.

Somehow the discussion had got away from me and I was becoming bored with it. Part of me wanted to say, but I’m not transsexual any more, I’m female, see my birth certificate if you don’t believe me. Then part of me knew I couldn’t deny my past anymore than I could pretend that with three children undergoing their own transitions, I couldn’t ignore the topic even if I felt it no longer directly applied to me.

I felt sick for the person whose life had been ended because someone else decided it had to; and for whom the last seconds must have been terrifying, not to mention the poor driver who was involved but not through his or her own making. It was a dreadful act, and in my humble opinion probably the work of someone who was just a tad crazy.

Thankfully the day got in the way of anymore discussions about Scrabble winning murderous gender benders, though I was about to leave to collect the girls from school when Simon rang.

“Hi Babes, get your glad rags on for seven–we have to go to a dinner.”

“Simon, it’s half past three, three hours isn’t sufficient notice for me to arrange babysitters.”

“I’ve done that, Jenny and Stella will do that, and I’ll pay for them to get in a takeaway of their choosing.”

“Where are we going to dinner?”

“A posh hotel.”

“Do I wear long or short?”

“How do I know?”

“Are you wearing a dinner suit?”

“Natch.”

“Okay, it’s long then.”

“Have you got one?”

“Yes I have.”

“Good, well dust it off and get yer arse in gear.”

“I’m going to collect the girls–next time I want a couple of days notice.”

“Blame my dad, he pulled out and we have to be present at this one.”

“I’ve got to go–the girls will be out of school.”

“Good girl.”

“Patronising twit,” I said to the disconnected phone.

I was a bit quiet driving home with the children and they noticed. “Are you okay, Mummy?” asked Livvie–Billie and Trish were arguing about something in the back.

“Yes, I was busy thinking. I have to go out tonight with Daddy, he’s going to pay for a takeaway, so I hope you’ll all behave for Jenny and Stella.”

“Can we have pizza?” called Billie.

“Nah, I’m fed up with pizza, let’s have a Chinese,” argued Trish.

“That’d be nice, a Chinese,” agreed Livvie.

“Yay,” shouted Trish, “Two against one, we win.”

“Remember Mima might not want a Chinese.” I reminded her.

“You wanna Chinese don’t ya, Meems?”

“I wike pizza, too.”

“Ha ha, that’s two each,” jibed Billie.

Somehow we got home without me strangling any of them, the pettiness was beginning to get to me and I was glad to escape to the bathroom, jump in the shower and wash away the cares of the day.

Stella came up and helped me put my hair up and I did my makeup a little more heavily than usual, using blusher and eyeliner and mascara and even a little eyebrow pencil. I splashed some perfume–Chanel No 5 about myself and then dressed in my long royal blue dress–one with a boned bodice and no other visible means of support. I’d only worn it once before and since then my breasts had grown somewhat, and it actually fitted me properly.

I put on my sapphire necklace and matching earrings and thought how well they matched the dress, the shot silk shimmering in the bedroom lights. I added a gold bangle and my gold plated watch. Just collect my bag and wrap and I was pretty well ready, it was half past six. I had time to kill, so I filed my nails and found some nail varnish–two coats later and I was ready.

Simon came dashing in, pecked me on the cheek and dashed into the shower. I got out his dinner suit, one of his dress shirts and a dicky-bow, his cummerbund and his cuff links.

“Wow, you look like a million dollars,” he said as I posed sexily for him, pouting and sticking out my one hip. Part of him suggested I was having the desired effect and I smiled as he struggled into his underpants and trousers with a little difficulty.

“What’s with this dinner, then?”

“Dad had to dash off to Canada for some important meeting, so I’ve had to stand in for him, and you for Monica.”

“Gee, how come we didn’t get to go to Canada?”

“Because he’s the boss and we’re not.”

“Oh, fair enough.”

We eventually got to the dinner–banquet would have been a better description, though I did manage to control how much I ate, so I was able to continue to breathe in the tight fitting dress, although I think I knew where every bone was.

The table we were on was full of other bank’s top brass, most of them Sir this or Lady that, however, Si was the only Lord and I was the only other aristocrat–albeit by marriage there too. So we were accorded some respect from the others. I was also the youngest there by quite a margin, but most of them were public school types with plums or silver spoons stuck in their snobbish gobs. If they did but know it, I was an oik but in deep cover.

After several bottles of wine had been emptied and tongues loosened, they got to discussing all sorts of things including news stories. The Scrabble thing they thought was hilarious. Lady Astrid Butterworth, thought it was a hoot, some trensvestite beating the top player by such a good word–she couldn’t remember what it was. Had we seen the piccies with the stubble and the pink wig?

“The word was obeisance,” I said curtly, I wasn’t amused. Not that they’d understand its meaning anyway.

“So it was, ladies and gents, we have someone who reads their Telegraph properly, or is it the Times?” she chuckled at me.

“Guardian, actually.”

“Eoh, I thought thet was read by teachers end social workers,” she tried to dismiss me.

“Yes, I’m a teacher.”

“Goodness, what d’ya teach?” she seemed genuinely curious.

“I’m a university teacher.”

“Oh, en intellectual, how interestin’.”

“Ev’ry gel needs a hobby, Estrid,” commented Lady Cynthia Brown-Smyth.

“Hobby?” gasped Simon, “She’s one of the world’s leading experts on Muscardinus avellanarius.”

“What’s thet when it’s et hame?”

“A dormouse, what did you think it was.”

“I hed no idea,” she blushed.

“I saw a naice programme on thase a few months ego,” said Astrid smiling, “Charles thought the presenter was quate dishy, didn’t you honeybunch?”

“Ebsolutely,” roared Charles across the table, “a tasty bit of tottie, eh what?”

“That was my wife,” said Simon angrily. “Tasty tottie, indeed.”

“Heng on old men, I meant it in the naicest sense, she’s a real beauty, just the job to liven up a nature programme, what?”

“Goodness, our very own TV star–do tell us about making a TV programme, better than discussing thase wretched trenssexual tapes who are busy throwin’ each other under train’s, don’t ya know?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So...

Amongst her other talents and super-powers, are we now about to discover that Cathy can shoot death-rays out of her eyes? If so, I hope she'll use her new power judiciously, and not just burn down the whole room and everyone in it. Which is probably how she feels right about now.

___________________
A humble crossdresser who wouldn't own a vinyl dress or a pink wig.

Little do they know...

...they're talking to one! Talk about patronising though - dismissing her choice of newspaper (The Guardian's too left-wing for their liking), considering her university work as a mere hobby, implying she'd only been chosen to present the nature program because of her good looks (never mind the fact she wrote the script and did most of the background research herself), not to mention the three gender variant people in the news recently...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Ack

kristina l s's picture

Knew that would come up. The pink outfit wig and stubble made me smile actually. Not so much the train thing. Keep pedalling Ang.

Kristina

Better to keep quiet

and let everyone think you're stupid and/or pissed, than to open your mouth and prove it.

Thanks A+B+I. Another topical episode.

S.

I see

That the "hoyty toyty" bunch are showing off their apparent ignorance as usual.
They are the type that take all the credit for the efforts of us lowly mortals, and of course reap all the benefits too.
Sorry for getting on my soap box, but I am afraid I am very anti snob.
Keep up the good work.
poppykin

They're no'r'all like that!

Jeeze Angie, they're no'r all like that, although a perceptible percentage are.

As you will have noticed however, (and portray beautifully!) they are perculiarly susceptible to foot and mouth perhaps because of their noticable bovine, ovine and porcine characteristics.

Good chapter though and I had to smile.

Love and hugs.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully with a slight Scouse accent.

bev_1.jpg

A lorra them are.

Angharad's picture

'Ow ya doin our kid?

Angharad

Angharad

That were ...

... a lorra, lorra laffs.

I have had occasion to meet the odd toff and, whilst a royalist I am not, most of them were pretty decent and without what we call side. One of them even had a huge model railway layout in what had been the servant's quarters in better times and he used to get real railwaymen in to play with it :)

Robi

A dying breed

Such toffs—often refered to as “chinless wonders”—used to be ten-a-penny eighty years ago, typified by the likes of Bertie Wooster and Gussie Fink-Nottle in P G Wodehouse's hilarious Jeeves stories. Some still exist today, often called names like Crispin Crispy-Chinless or summat. However, much of what might be termed “the old aristocracy” is pretty down to earth these days—thank goodness—so the chinless wonder is a bit of an anachronism in the 21st century. Amen to that

This has been a bundle of laughs tonight, Ang. Thank you.
Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

need to agree with Gabbi

have some past experience of said type events, yea, there's alot of old school performers, but most just tended to be "old money" & or "nouveau riche" that may be hi performers but pretty much down to earth. Simply folks there to see & be seen, maybe get a buisness deal & or party on someone elses dime. what amazed me most at of the was that #1 & #3 were the most common.

In the story line, I seen this alot specially in old monied families was number of aristrocrats in and around Europe/UK were not as rich as it appeared on paper. In the story line Lord Cameraon is said to have castle, etc. but the telling thing, was when he mentioned it was pretty much closed down and vacant most of the yr. I once asked why to an aquaintance whose family had one, was astounded at the amount of upkeep it took to maintain one. guess that why many that are till functional are often tourist trps or B&B's.

Ps there's a very long story about me & this particular time in my life, but I'll abstain from it. perhaps I'll write about it some time and post it someplace.

anyrates ... back to the reading... I'm only a couple of months behind everyone now instead of two years YEA

keep em coming Angharad (smiles)

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

littlerocksilver's picture

The calf knee and thigh are sure to follow. I think I'll cancel my newspaper subscription. All the news that's fir to print is right here. I wonder if Cathy is going to be able to control Simon, or will she contributer to the meyhem that is sure to follow.

Portia

Portia

And, here I thought...

it was "Open mouth, insert foot, chew vigorously. If called, repeat with other foot." (And, before anyone can point it out, I'm sure both my ankles have the gnaw marks to show I've already done this, on more than one occasion.)

Anne

Oiks

After reading a Bikesode like this, I have to wonder who the oiks really are here. Certainly not Cathy. FWIW, my SOED6 defines oik as an uncouth, uneducated, or obnoxious person. Some of the participants in the dinner banquet easily qualify under all three parts of that definition.

Thanks A+B+I (all sorts of assorted food). I really enjoyed this episode.

Pseudo Sophisticates


Bike Resources

I can actually hear Cathy

I can actually hear Cathy telling Simon, "well this is another fine mess you got us in", with them having to deal with very uncouth individuals or so it seems right now. They seem less educated than even Meems or Trish or Livie in how they talk and apparently act.
I do hope Cathy holds her tongue and temper, cause when it flares, Watch out. Jan

Sounds like

someone found a way to hit on numerous button topics all in the space of a few seconds. Cathy is either going put them in their place while making them look foolish, or set them down hard. Simon should chime in also. Hopwfully, she'll find a way to do it with class and bury them.

There you go....

There you go. You get us all high on Cathy dressed to the 9s and bumping elbows with the high & mighty and then you show they're bigots. *sighs*

Otherwise, quite interesting. I wonder what the compromise meal ended up being. perhaps Thai?

The short notice fancy meals. My wife got invited to one, and the day before, we found out she was "expected" to bring a guest. Not only did I not have anything to wear. (Actually, I'd probably have worn my Prince Charlie jacket/kilt and such. But the other sounds better. LOL) But, I had a more important (to the family) event. My wife would have preferred to be with me, too. But, turning down the invite by the President of her Uni... Not a good idea. (I got to watch my younger daughter be inducted into the National Junior Honor Society...)

Cathy's gown sounded quite loverly. I could see my older daughter in such a gown. (Her prom dress sounded similar, but was in Red.)

Thanks,
Anne

They are the Upper Crust,

ALISON

'a few crumbs held together by a bit of loose dough!Poor Cathy and Simon have to put up with such shallow people!

ALISON

I Can't Believe It!

I've been so busy lately that I had fallen WAY behind! Thanks be to He whom not all authors believe in, I've finally caught up! And thank you, Ang, for continuing to provide what it is I have got caught up on!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

I Wonder If The Blue Light Can Do Lobotomies?

jengrl's picture

I wonder if the blue light can do a Frontal Lobotomy on these snobs? They don't appear to use their brains for much anyway, so it wouldn't be a terrible loss to the world. I imagine that Cathy is getting ready to unload on them very soon! I think they would do well to notice the steam coming out of Simon's ears too!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Should have just called

tonight's episode "stereotype central"

Poor Cahty must have almost bitten her tongue in half.

CATHY!!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE FISH KNIFE!

They are too blunt. Must be a better implement somewhere on the table....

If only

ithe so called upper class could see the wood for the trees....Then they might just have realised that to make such uninformed comments abou TG people when Cathy is around is not not a wise thing to do

Can't wait to see what Cathy will say....

Kirri

Blue Light and Lobotomies,

No, but maybe it can replace missing brain cells.