Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1186.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1186
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I had a dilemma: if I involved any police, however friendly they were, it would become official as soon as I did. If I didn’t, then I’d be on my own against someone I had no knowledge of in any shape or form. I didn’t know who they were, or how many of them, nor what they did, apart from rather nasty things to other people. They were presumably criminals, because anyone who did some of the things they did who weren’t criminal, were criminal if you see what I mean. James Bond gets away with being amoral or even downright evil, because he’s the good guy–it says so at the start of the book or film. Same with Jack Bauer in 24, although I’d stopped watching it several series ago, despite Keiffer Sutherland being very pleasing to the eye, his character verged on psychopathic at times and his wife had been murdered by his so called colleague–crikey, he had more problems than I but he was allowed to shoot anyone at will, which might make it easier if a tad messier.

I could hire some help, but are private investigators any good, or do they just cost loads of money? Most of what they do is presumably divorce or industrial espionage stuff, with finding the odd missing person in between. I wondered.

Common sense told me to turn what I had over to the police and let them deal with it, but a part of me wanted to know just who was trying to harm me and my family and why? Did I want revenge? I wasn’t sure–that’s a bit juvenile. What I wanted was to stop them doing it to me again or to anyone else. That would mean putting them away for a very long time or damaging them beyond recovery, either financially or physically.

I looked through yellow pages and then the internet. There were plenty of names but most of them seemed inadequate for what I wanted. I called Henry, explained what I wanted, he gave me a name–James Beck, ex military police and Royal Marines, with experience in Iraq, and Afghanistan. Great, if I find any roadside bombs he’ll be very useful.

I called the mobile number Henry had given me. It rang several times before a rather nice voice answered it. I don’t know about the caller, he could be a hairy dwarf with a broken nose and a squint but he had a voice like melting chocolate and I nearly put on a stone listening to him saying, ‘Hello.’

“Hello, I’m Cathy Watts, I have a problem with which I’m told you might be able to help.”

“Well it isn’t your syntax, Cathy Watts, so how can I help?”

“Could we meet, somewhere public, my life could be in danger.”

“We could, but you have nothing to fear from me.”

“Yes, my friend recommended you highly.”

“Who’s your friend?”

“I’ll tell you when we meet.”

“Okay. I have to warn you, I charge two hundred an hour up to a thousand a day.”

“Wow, I hope you work quickly then?” I said rhetorically.

“Oh yes, I’m a fast worker.”

We arranged to meet in a coffee shop in a department store in Portsmouth at ten the next morning. I wasn’t sure I’d done the right thing, but now I wanted to get a chance to see who the voice belonged to. He’d be carrying a Guardian, besides, I knew to look for the guy wearing the trench coat–don’t they all wear them? I agreed to carry or be reading a Guardian myself–his suggestion, so he can’t be all bad, can he?

The children were off school, so I had to fib a little bit to get away from the house to meet with James Beck. I’d asked Henry not to mention my call to anyone, and being Henry, he’d respect that. I had made clear that I wasn’t doing anything against the family, so he was happy to believe me. At times, Henry is a super chap.

I left home at nine and caught the bus into Portsmouth. I left the car behind because I felt they were too easy to follow, or had apparently been so far. Perhaps I should have gone by bike, although it was cold and wet. I sat downstairs on the bus on one of the seats by the door, the long ones for oldies and disabled passengers. I sat there because I felt I could see anyone get on who might be a threat. I forgot that any seat in a bus except those on the aisle side, are potentially exposed in so far as it’s possible to see where someone is sitting.

The bus stopped and passengers got on. Then as it lurched forward to re enter the traffic, a window behind me shattered with a huge bang. I yelled and threw myself forward just in time to see a second slug drill a hole in the opposite side of the bus a foot from the first one.

Tyres squealed and a car drove off, the bus stopped and the driver came to see what had happened. I managed to excuse myself and walk towards the town centre, leaving the bus and its mystified driver behind. It looked very much as if we were all marked by whoever these maniacs were.

A bit further on, I flagged down a taxi and he took me the rest of my journey. I got to the coffee shop with two minutes to spare and sat with my back to the wall and opened my Guardian. I ordered a latte coffee and sat waiting for the enigmatic Mr Beck to arrive.

He was late, it was five past and I’d had two sips of my coffee and the complimentary biscuit. I’d also read the same letter four times and still had no clue what it was about.

A voice startled me as I was about to have my third sip and I nearly sprayed milky coffee everywhere. “Miss Watts?”

I looked up and saw a tall fair haired man, who looked about mid thirties, and whose brown eyes sparkled and his lips crinkled into a smile, showing regular white teeth. “Yes,” I managed to croak as I put down my coffee mug. “I take it you’re Mr Beck.”

“Correct, how d’you do?” he proffered his hand and I shook it. “May I join you?” I wanted to say, ‘Anytime’, his voice was as smooth as melting butter and I’m sure I had goosepimples.

He ordered a coffee, black and strong–hardly surprising, if he’d ordered a weak tea I think I’d have been disappointed; this was a man of action and my head filled with loads of clichés.

“May I call you, Cathy, I’m Jim by the way?” he paused, but continued before I could do more than nod my agreement, “Or do you prefer Lady Cameron?”

“Whatever–did my father in law speak to you?”

“Henry, good lord no, I did a search for you and came up with the dormouse lady; a clip on Youtube of one of the critters parachuting into your cleavage–lucky blighter; a clip of you and Simon telling about your forthcoming marriage despite your previous status and several references about acts of bravery–saving babies in burning cars and the like. If ever I need a back up in a tight situation–can I call you?” There was that perfect smile again–I must remember I’m married to Simon.

“You’ve done your homework, I’m impressed.”

“A bit, although I don’t know what you want–so, how may I help you?” My brain melted with his voice and I had to almost shake myself to concentrate on the business in hand. If Simon hadn’t got me first, I’d have been throwing myself at him body and soul. Shit, I hope he didn’t notice.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
229 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Arrrrggghhhh!!!

Dammit!

I want to know what's it all about!

Well I have to keep my curiosity in check for another day...

Is no one safe?

You really do have to wonder about who the opposition are, and their resources.

Cathy goes to town on a bus, and is targeted and shot at. Maybe with this toe-curling ex-military type watching her back, they'll have an opportunity to turn the tables.

Thanks A+B: I had to smile at Cathy's reaction to James.

Pheromone Signals


Bike Resources

Well, Now

littlerocksilver's picture

I don't think Cathy should trust this guy as far as she can throw him. Five minutes late could have been the time it took to get rid of the real Mr. Beck. Cathy had better turn off her hormone receptors for a while. There is a chip in the fob.

Portia

Portia

You may have a point.

If he is Ex-military, he would be prompt and have been waiting for her. He may very well met the enemy and been neutralized by them already. I hope this is not the case, but it could have happened.

Great job Angharad.

Another alternative...

Another alternative is that he was late, because he observed her arrival, and watched those who might have been observing her...

Alternatives

littlerocksilver's picture

That could be true, but that is so mundane.

Portia

Portia

I'm still not sure ...

... if I'm supposed to laugh out loud or not. If not, then I'm sorry 'cos I just did ;) I love the way your imagination works, Angharad - nothing's too wild for your adventurous writing. Mind you I think asking both Jim and Cathy to be carrying Grauniads is taking it just a bit too far. I would think Jim would be a Telegraph man, at least (with a copy of the the Sun folded up inside).

I use buses a lot and I'm glad to say that, as yet, no-one has fired a shot - though I'm in Derbyshire which seems to be a tad more boring (I'm pleased to say) than Portsmouth.

Thanks from my funny bone

Robi

Bike pt 1186

Cathy needs to jump the pond and hire the 'A'-Team. I am sure that Hannibal Smith would love England.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

But...

I don't think there are enough sedatives to keep B. A. Baracus asleep for the long plane ride. ;)

Whoever this opposition is

they don't give up. Hoping all is ok at the homestead while Cathy is out

Memo to Cathy: "Down Girl"!

Memo to Cathy: "Down Girl"! Get your hormones back into place and deal with the issues at hand. Remember, you are happily married. You may look, but you can not buy or touch.
:) Jan

LOL

What a way to stretch things out... Have Cathy melting the whole episode... I think this is ONE time I'd have an advantage over Cathy... (My preference for the ladies, don't you know...) Though, who knows.

He does sound like an interesting chap... And more competent than a lot of folks that have interacted with Cathy.

Looking forward to more,
Anne

Prey to men.

Lol, I have had my circuits short out a couple times in the presence of a handsome man. Sigh, it is a good thing it does not happen frequently or I'd be moving around like a snail. LOL

Khadijah

Thank You

Thank you for another wonderful weeks worth of episodes, Angharad.

I love a good mystery story, combined with a good piece of action as well. To have it set in bike is simply great.
I love the use of the JB initials. From James bond to Jack Bauer, plus Jason Bourne, we now have James Beck. Does he have a partner called Jennie Best, TS ex RN officer who….. Now even I am getting carried away.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort you put in, to keep all your many devoted readers happy.
Thank you so much.
Love

Anne G.

A Week of suspense.

yep and still nowhere near the solution.

You're pegging this one out Angie. My worry is that her phone is bugged, (No body's metioned scramblers or stuff, have they?)and somebody high up in authority is somehow involved in summat illegal and Julie got innocently trapped in some crossfire.
Ah well, all my other musings have been wrong so this'n'll be as well I suppose.
Just have to wait and see, dammit!

Write soon.

Lovin' it.
Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

What a pickle

Cathy finds herself in, Thinking she would be safe, Cathy got on a bus ....Not a good idea.....In fact being anywhere in public at the moment is full of danger.....Maybe the best idea would be a disguise......Although not as a a man.....She's tried that once and failed miserably....But whatever Cathy does it had better be good ....These guys mean buisness ....

Kirri

Now Cathy knows

how one of the ladies in a James Bond flick feels.